Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Sep 13, 2013 7:56 PM

Aug 2013
Noticed a lot of people mentioned the Clannad dub here. Not that it's horrible, as Luci Christian was amazing in it, but I didn't really care for it.
ANYWAYS! IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:
- Code Geass
- Cowboy Bebop
- Baccano
- Gurren Lagann
- Shakugan no Shana (both casts were great)
- Full Metal Panic
- Steins;Gate
- Kanon 2006
- Fate Zero
- Death Note
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Sep 27, 2013 1:47 PM

Aug 2013
No particular order and including reasons:

Haruhi Franchise-Crispin 'fucking' Freeman as Kyon
Stiens;Gate- Trina Nishimura mad me fall for Makise Kirisu
FMA- First anime I ever watched (knowing that it was an anime)
Cowboy Bebop- Steve Blum as Spike was godly
Baccano- Made me feel as if I was in a Tarentino flick
Samurai Champloo- Steve Blum (again)
End of Eva- as annoying as Spike Spencer was it was his imaging of the movie that made it special for me
HOTD-Felt as if all the actors were having a blast with it
Sup People and yes I am the physical manifestation of Shinji Ikari's Balls

And this what elite-sama says to incest
elite-sama said:
I'm against it because I don't have a sister. It's not fair.
Nov 27, 2013 12:52 AM

Jan 2013
Not in any real order, but top 5 of my all time fav dubs include:
-Shin Chan (Funimation dub)
-Golden Boy
-Cromartie High School
-Fruits Basket
-Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

Dec 17, 2013 1:01 AM
Sep 2013
Hmmm...

1. Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt - This is the one dub I've seen even sub fans say is the superior way to watch it, and that's with good reason. From what I gather, due to stricter censorship policies in Japan, Gainax wasn't able to make it as they had intended. As a result, when they gave FUNimation dub duty, they told them to basically go wild. The result is a show that sounds (and for that matter, looks) like it's English made. The entire vo cast is beyond spot on; they speak perfectly natural and the quality is consistently pristine, though my absolute favorite is Monica Rial's work as Stocking.

2. Cowboy Bebop - The thing I love about CB's dub is that every single voice used fits the character to a damn tee, with extremely high quality throughout, even for minor and supporting characters. Combined with the unbelievable character development quality, it makes every one of the shows single episode plots memorable. My only tiny gripe is that in a very small number of cases the vo sounds a bit less than natural.

3. Baccano! - A generally solid dub, what made this one surprising to me was not only the usage of accents, but how good they sounded.

4. Howl's Moving Castle - I'll be honest, all the Disney dubs are equally well done (aside from Ponyo...), but Howl's is my favorite so it gets its name on here.

5. - This is a tough one for me. Based on the anime that I've seen thus far, nothing stands out as being too terribly exceptional. With that in mind, I guess I'd say it's a toss-up between Heaven's Lost Property and Is this a Zombie? HLP is better on the consistency end, while ITaZ sounds more natural.
Dec 17, 2013 5:41 PM

Aug 2013
-Black Lagoon
-Steins;Gate
-Gurren Lagann
-Death Note
-Ergo Proxy
-Moblie Suit GUNDAM 00
-Welcome to the NHK!
-Full Metal Panic!
-Sword Art Online
Jan 6, 2014 4:04 PM
Dec 2013
In no particular order:
- Baccano!
- Steins;Gate
- Princess Tutu
- Last Exile
- K Project
- Fate/Zero
- Gundam Unicorn
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
- Summer Wars
- The Garden of Words
Jan 24, 2014 12:46 PM
Nov 2011
1. Gantz
2. Shiki
3. Desert Punk
4. Texhnolyze
5. Shigurui
Feb 4, 2014 2:56 PM

Feb 2014
1. Fairy Tail

2. Dragon ball z

3. One Piece

4. Bleach

5. Naruto
Feb 6, 2014 12:50 AM

Mar 2012
Updated list from my last one

1. Beck
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Haruhi Suzumiya (FUCKING CRISPIN FREEMAN)
4. Fullmetal Alchemist (Both dubs but 2003 Alphonse is better)
5. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
6. Wolf Children
7. Welcome to the NHK
8. Spice and Wolf
9. Gurren Lagann
10. Eureka Seven

Honourable mentions to Princess Tutu, Kanon, Blue Exorcist, Durarara, Steins;Gate, Chobits, Death Note, Evangelion, Baka and Test, Kino's Journey and Code Geass
Apr 2, 2014 10:03 AM

Mar 2014
Eureka Seven- Johnny Yong Bosch fits Renton and proves he actually has range.
Wolf's Rain- Kari Wahlgren's Cher Degre FTW
Cowboy Bebop- Of course
Big O- Steve Blum's Roger Smith mirrors Kevin Conroy's Batman.
Casshern Sins- Eric Vale makes an awesome Casshern.
Ergo Proxy- To think the woman who voices Re-L Mayer is the voice of Officer Jenny and Nurse Joy in Pokémon.

Not only are these shows excellent in English but they all take place in non-Japanese settings.

Subbies and weeaboos can go fuck themselves.
SwatKat1990Apr 3, 2014 6:28 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 3, 2014 7:00 AM

Sep 2010
1-10. BLACK LAGOON
Honourable mention to Fullmetal Alchemist, Shakugan no Shana and Lucky Star though
Spring 2014: NANANA WINS ALL.
Check out my blog :) http://castlebell.blogspot.com/
Apr 23, 2014 4:33 PM
Jan 2013
Michiko to Hatchin
Black Lagoon
Golden Boy
Hellsing
Afro Samurai
Cromartie High School
May 31, 2014 10:19 AM
Feb 2014
Mobile Fighter G Gundam [Bandai Entertainment]
Soul Eater [FUNimation]
Sword Art Online [Aniplex]
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood [FUNimation]
Code Geass [Bandai Entertainment]
Samurai 7 [FUNimation]
Naruto Shippunden [Viz Media]
Deadman Wonderland [FUNimaiton]
Attack on Titan [FUNimation]
InuYasha [Viz Media]
May 31, 2014 10:44 AM
Jan 2014
My personal Favorites are:
1) Blue Gender (mecha, horror)
2) Psycho-Pass (police mystery)
3) Future Diary (psychological)
4) Phantom: Requiem of the Phantom (action, thriller)
5) Black Lagoon (action)
6) Death Note (psychological)
7) Darker than Black (action,mystery)
8) Shiki (vampire, mystery, thriller)
May 31, 2014 11:09 AM

Jan 2014
1. FMA Series
2. Code Geass
3. Steins; Gate
4. Fate/ Zero
5. Black Lagoon
6. Gurren Lagann
7. Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
8. Fairy Tail
9. Blue Exorcist
10. Attack on Titan (So far)
Jun 2, 2014 9:19 PM
Dec 2013
1.) Berserk
2.) Claymore
3.) Dragon Ball
4.) Inuyahsa
5.) Yu Yu Hakusho
6.) Elfen Lied
7.) Wolf's Rain
8.) Ranma 1/2
9.) Princess Mononoke
10.) Rurouni Kenshin
Jun 3, 2014 6:46 AM

Sep 2009
10. Hetalia Axis Powers
9. Welcome to the N.H.K!
8. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
7. Gungrave
6. Cromartie High School
5. Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
4. Yu Yu Hakusho
3. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
2. Baccano!
1. Cowboy Bebop (duh)
Jun 3, 2014 3:24 PM

Dec 2009
I'm curious. Are most people posting here posing their favorite English dubs based on the performances and dialogue, or are they posting their favorite animes which just so happen to have dubs?

There have been a few examples listed I kind of have a hard time imagining are top 10 worthy based on performance alone.
Jun 4, 2014 7:47 AM

Sep 2009
XTApocalypse said:
I'm curious. Are most people posting here posing their favorite English dubs based on the performances and dialogue, or are they posting their favorite animes which just so happen to have dubs?

There have been a few examples listed I kind of have a hard time imagining are top 10 worthy based on performance alone.

Personally, the former. But I can't speak for everyone.
Jun 4, 2014 8:16 PM

Mar 2012
XTApocalypse said:

Speaking personally I picked based on the dub's quality.

Cardcaptor Sakura is my favourite series and it has a fucking horrid dub. I also really like Highschool DxD's dub despite the series being, well, bad.
SeibaaHomuJun 4, 2014 8:21 PM
Jun 4, 2014 9:22 PM

Dec 2009
The question came up at the mention of Rurouni Kenshin. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a bad show, but in terms of dub quality... it seems kind of obviously subpar.
Jul 22, 2014 1:13 AM

Jun 2007
I find myself liking dubs that improve the overall experience of the show, so I can forgive some slightly off acting performances if the script enhances the series. In no real order:

* Eden's Bowy (ADV/Monster Island) - While many of MI's dubs are hit-and-miss, this one is funny when it wants to be, serious when it needs to be, and manages to be impressive throughout.
* Solty Rei (Funimation) - To this day, I'm convinced that Gonzo based Solty's character on Carrie Savage's real-life personality.
* Magikano (ADV) - I know Chris Ayres is persona non grata among dub fans on MAL, but there were times when he had a good scriptwriter and a sufficient budget to produce hilarious results.
* Ghost Stories (ADV) - The dub that taught me that "different from the Japanese" did not have to mean "worse," and set me on the road toward liking more dubs in general. It also warmed me to the charms of "Fosterization."
* Girls Bravo (New Generation Pictures) - Like Magikano, an ecchi/comedy dub that greatly enhances the series through strategic rewrites.
* Kamichu! (New Generation Pictures) - A dub that straddles the line between faithfulness and natural English so well that it's almost hard to tell when you switch languages.
* Wolf's Rain (Animaze) - Perhaps the zenith of the skills and actors honed in earlier standout dubs like Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and GitS:SAC. It helps that there aren't any cute-girl voices or tricky Japanese names to stumble over, too.
* FMA 2003 (Funimation) - Hits all the right notes in a complex and sprawling series.
* Scrapped Princess (Bang Zoom!) - Crispin Freeman acts and directs this dub that brings my favorite swords-and-sorcery anime to life.
* Shrine of the Morning Mist (NYAV Post) - Felt like choosing one from this region, and this dub wins the "much better than expected" award. The show itself is rather mediocre, but the dub is smartly written and keeps things as lively as possible.

Honorable Mentions by studio:
Jul 30, 2014 10:11 AM

Apr 2012
1. Shin Chan
2. Panty and Stocking
3. Cowboy Bebop
4. Samurai Champloo
5. Trigun
6. Black Lagoon
7. Full Metal Panic
8.Paranoia Agent
9. Ghost in the Shell
10. Gantz

Some of the worst:
-DBZ Big Green Dub
-DBZ Malaysian Dub
-Maze
-Slayers
-Black Butler
-The Dark Myth
-Sailor Moon
-Steins;Gate
Jul 30, 2014 11:21 AM
Jan 2008
I actually liked the SLAYERS dubs. They aren't perfect by any means, but I do have a soft spot for them. The first 13 episodes are a bit rough, but I felt it got A LOT better as it went along.
Jul 30, 2014 11:36 AM

Mar 2014
JTurner said:
I actually liked the SLAYERS dubs. They aren't perfect by any means, but I do have a soft spot for them. The first 13 episodes are a bit rough, but I felt it got A LOT better as it went along.

Agreed. Lisa Ortiz makes an excellent Lina Inverse.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 30, 2014 7:16 PM

Dec 2009
Slayers was pretty average for the time. Certainly not one of the all-time worst, at least on par with Dragon Ball.
Jul 31, 2014 10:23 PM

Apr 2012
XTApocalypse said:
Slayers was pretty average for the time. Certainly not one of the all-time worst, at least on par with Dragon Ball.

I agree. It's very much your typical 90's dub. Slayers Try, however,....was pretty bad.
Meowth should never have any roles outside of being Meowth.
Jul 31, 2014 11:38 PM

Dec 2009
SamuelLJackson said:
XTApocalypse said:

I agree. It's very much your typical 90's dub. Slayers Try, however,....was pretty bad.

I didn't mind him. Was he really any worse than any of the other Pokemon voices? We had Brock as Gourry and Ash as freaking Amelia who looked and sounded like a genderswapped version of Ash. After that, I just rolled with Meowth.
Aug 10, 2014 1:59 AM

Jun 2013
1.Baccano!

2.Cowboy Bebop

3.[url=http://myanimelist.net/anime/467/Ghost_in_the_Shell:_Stand_Alone_Complex]Ghost In The Shell:Stand Alone Complex[/url

4.Original Hellsing+OVA

5.Both Fullmetal Alchemist/Brotherhood

6.Black Lagoon

7.Code Geass

8.Gurren Lagann

9.Ghost Stories

10.Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne

Honourable mentions
Eureka Seven
Death Note
FLCL
Ouran Highschool Host Club
Wolf's Rain
Space Dandy
Aug 10, 2014 2:07 AM

Jun 2013
1.Baccano!
2.Cowboy Bebop
3.Ghost In The Shell:Stand Alone Complex
4.Original Hellsing+OVA
5.Both Fullmetal Alchemist/Brotherhood
6.Black Lagoon
7.Code Geass
8.Gurren Lagann
9.Ghost Stories
10.Rin:Daughters Of Mnemosyne

Honorable Mentions
Eureka Seven
Wolf's Rain
Death Note
Space Dandy
Trigun
Aug 10, 2014 7:12 PM
Jan 2008
XTApocalypse said:
SamuelLJackson said:

I didn't mind him. Was he really any worse than any of the other Pokemon voices? We had Brock as Gourry and Ash as freaking Amelia who looked and sounded like a genderswapped version of Ash. After that, I just rolled with Meowth.

I didn't mind Slayers Try dub either. The ONLY part of the Slayers dub that I thought was iffy were the first thirteen episodes. Lisa and Eric were consistently good, but both Zelgadis and Amelia were quite bad… at least until Crispin Freeman and Veronica Taylor stepped in. At that point the dub skyrocketed for me and never went down. Xellos SOUNDED a bit too smarmy, but on the other hand, he didn't bother me at all.
Aug 10, 2014 7:36 PM

Dec 2009
You mean Veronica wasn't Amelia from the start? I could have sworn the very first time I heard her I recognized her as Ash. Unless maybe I'm getting my actresses confused, the first Amelia actress was Ash's, and she was later replaced by Taylor.

As for Xellos, I honestly grew pretty attached to his first voice. His was the only one I was disappointed changed in the re-vamp come Slayers Revolution. Not that the new Xellos is bad, I just don't enjoy him quite as much as the first. Same goes for the Kenpachi voice-swap in Bleach.
Aug 19, 2014 6:56 PM
Jan 2008
XTApocalypse said:
You mean Veronica wasn't Amelia from the start? I could have sworn the very first time I heard her I recognized her as Ash.

No, she was voiced by Joani Baker in those first episodes. I found her Amelia VERY shrill and hard on the ears. Veronica was much nicer.
Aug 19, 2014 8:10 PM

Mar 2014
JTurner said:
XTApocalypse said:
You mean Veronica wasn't Amelia from the start? I could have sworn the very first time I heard her I recognized her as Ash.

No, she was voiced by Joani Baker in those first episodes. I found her Amelia VERY shrill and hard on the ears. Veronica was much nicer.

When Veronica began to voice Amelia, the dub started to show some improvements, and it was solid, as New York dubs go.
Sep 30, 2014 4:49 PM

Jan 2014
1. Cowboy Bebop (no contest)
2. Black Lagoon
3. Baccano!
4. Monster
5. Steins;Gate
6. Hellsing
7. FLCL
8. Fullmetal Alchemist (both)
9. Mushishi
10. Wolf's Rain
Oct 5, 2014 5:35 AM

Mar 2014
1.Gundam Unicorn
2.Cowboy Bebop
3.Eureka Seven
4.Wolf's Rain
5.Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
6.Code Geass
7.Gundam 00
8.The Big O
9.Animation Runner Kuromi
10.Godannar
Oct 5, 2014 8:54 AM
Oct 5, 2014 9:34 AM

Mar 2014
XTApocalypse said:
Someone likes mechs.

Of course I do. My three favorite types of mechs are transforming ones, combining ones, and motion capture ones.(Like G Gundam.)

You got any favorites yourself?
Oct 5, 2014 9:44 AM

Dec 2009
"Motion capture?"

As far as types of mechs go, I'm not that big a fan of the genre. I liked Code Geass, with its small, super-agile, humanoid mechs, and I liked Big O, with its slow but titanic powerhouse mechs, so I can't really say I have an attachment to anything by type.
Oct 6, 2014 12:36 AM

Jun 2007
XTApocalypse said:
"Motion capture?"
Mecha where the pilot moves around and the mecha imitates their movements, rather than the pilot operating levers/joysticks/pedals to to control the machine.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MotionCaptureMecha
Oct 23, 2014 8:04 PM

Mar 2008
My current fave English Dubs are the below.

1.) Naruto Shippuden (Viz Media)
2.) One Piece (FUNimation)
3.) Cardfight!! Vanguard (Ocean)
4.) Future Card BuddyFight! (Ocean)
5.) Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal (4K Media/Konami)

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Jan 1, 2015 9:48 PM

Nov 2014
1) Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
2) Darker Than Black
3) Sword Art Online
4) Soul Eater
5) Bleach
Jan 8, 2015 12:48 PM

Aug 2014
I have a lot of favs:
Sentai:
Horizon in the middle of nowhere
CLANNAD/After Story
Persona 4
Angel Beats
Aniplex:
Ao No Exorcist
Funimation
FMAB
Sacred Blacksmith
Fractale
C-Control
Rideback
Kodomo no Omocha
Spiral
Galaxy Railways
One Piece
DBZ
AoT
And a whole lot more
Saban
Digimon Fusion
Little Women
Viz Media
Naruto Shippuden
Bleach
Other:
Tenkai Knights
Almost all bandai dubs.
Bakuformer00Apr 19, 2015 9:33 PM
WE ARE BACK BABY!-Ani-Comedy's Return on Cartoon Network.(a fanmade block I made up.)
Jan 9, 2015 5:02 PM

Jun 2014
My top 5 dubs as of now are currently
1) Spice and Wolf (season 2 included)
2) Fater/Zero
3) Death Note
4) Date A Live
5) Angel Beats
Jan 9, 2015 8:09 PM
Mar 2014
1) Space Dandy
2) Black Lagoon
3) Is This a Zombie?
4) Cowboy Bebop
5) Full Metal Panic
6) Lucky Star
7) K-On
8) Blue Exorcist
9) Yu Yu Hakusho
10) The Melancholy/Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
Jan 21, 2015 7:07 PM

Aug 2014
No Particular Order:
One Piece
Steins;Gate
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica
Baccano!
Durarara!!
Clannad/Clannad: After Story
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion/R2
Fate/Zero
Dragon Ball Z
Cowboy Bebop
#dicksoutforhughmungus
Jan 21, 2015 10:56 PM

Jul 2013
1. Baccano
2. Space dandy
3. Full Metal Alchemist: brotherhood
4. Black Lagoon
5. Jormungand

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Feb 1, 2015 12:50 AM

Jan 2015
Here are my favorite dubs. (No particular order.)
Pokémon
Slayers
Doraemon
His and Her Circumstances
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
The World of Narue
Genshiken
Kyo Kara Maoh
Tai Chi Chasers
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

XTApocalypse said:

For me, it's the performances and dialogue. Basically, if an anime has funny dialogue and great voice acting, that makes it awesome to me.
But if an anime has my favorite voice actors as well, that makes it super awesome. ^_^
AshFangirlLisaFeb 1, 2015 1:11 AM
Jun 8, 2015 2:41 AM

Sep 2013
1. Baccano!
2. Trigun
3. Berserk (series as well as the movies)
4. Cowboy Bebop
5. Welcome to the NHK
6. Black Lagoon
7. Steins;Gate
8. Full Metal Panic!
9. Full Metal Alchemist (both series')
10. Golden Boy

I prefer my anime dubbed in English in general, though. German dubs don't really work for me most of the time, I'm kinda weird like that.
[/size]
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» What is a dub song from a children’s anime dub that you love the most?

funtime43_tr - Mar 9

0 by funtime43_tr »»
Mar 9, 9:42 AM

» Why do you like English dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

coolcat - Apr 27, 2010

325 by Edawg0066 »»
Jan 1, 10:57 PM

» English dub fan, what do you think of these Japanese dubs of American cartoons?

mdo7 - Aug 31, 2020

2 by mdo7 »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:43 PM

» In Defense of 4kids/New York voice actors.

funtime43_tr - Oct 25, 2022

1 by SwatKat1990 »»
Jan 18, 2023 5:54 PM

» Notable 2022 Anime that didn't get Dubbed

Aan120898 - Dec 29, 2022

1 by MeanMrMusician »»
Dec 30, 2022 1:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.