Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 23, 2013 2:47 AM
Jul 2018

Oh no. Rin! >.< I hope he still can swim in the relay.
And the end card. Feels so distant when he was in Australia.
Sep 23, 2013 7:25 AM

Aug 2010
Edefrem said:
millo said:
Edefrem said:
millo said:
Rin won't be participating in the relay.

HAHA.
THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR BEING A SELFISH WHINY BITCH RIN!
HAHA.
HA.
HA.
HA.
motherfucker.
It's safe to say that Rin's suffered enough. So many of you haters lack empathy and it's sad.

Well i don't have any little bit of sympathy for him getting ejected from the relay,
HE DID IT TO HIMSELF! If he wants to be in a team, he need to interact and socialize with the other team member! Nobody in his team member (except the sissy one) cares about his past because he is such an arrogant prick!
RIN NEEDS A REMINDER THAT THE WORLD DOESN'T REVOLVE AROUND HIM!
Kudos for the captain for showing the whiny bitch who's the boss.
Just because he did it to himself doesn't mean you can't feel sorry for him. It's not like he thought, "Hey! I'd better damage myself and my relationships in a misguided pursuit to make myself worthy after causing my father's death!"
The guy's suffered enough, and though I'm glad Mikobisha took him out of the relay, my heart still broke at his reaction.

You really are Rin's number one supporter.
So even though Rin brought it on himself and deserves everything that's happening to him, we MUST feel sorry for him? Despite his Douchey behaviour? We can't say he deserves it?
WOW.
Opi-chanSep 23, 2013 7:33 AM
Sep 23, 2013 10:44 AM

Aug 2013
i loved seeing mikoshiba so serious the entire episode
Sep 23, 2013 5:44 PM

Mar 2011
Opi-chan said:

You really are Rin's number one supporter.
I didn't intend to be lol
Just seeing some of the insufferable hate he gets and it just sort of happened
Opi-chan said:
So even though Rin brought it on himself and deserves everything that's happening to him, we MUST feel sorry for him? Despite his Douchey behaviour? We can't say he deserves it?
WOW.
A)I don't think he deserves he's gone through and B) I never said anyone had to feel bad for him. But laughing at him and calling him a whiny bitch for getting kicked of the team is obnoxious
Jfc, how much do you people want him to suffer before your're satisfied?
Sep 24, 2013 8:07 PM

Jul 2010
Im kinda glad this show ends in next episode.It's not like i hate it, but it's getting more and more boring.
Sep 25, 2013 4:10 PM

May 2013
It was a decent episode. next one is the last
Sep 27, 2013 1:06 PM
Oct 2009
I love the red haired captain of the other school's swimming club <3 He's so cool!! Wahh~ kyaa kyaa
Sep 28, 2013 2:57 PM

Sep 2009
VampireOjouChan I love red haired one captain toooo XDDD !!!
btw I think he'll be going out with Gou :P ~

and about episode ! it was GREAT !!! uhuhuh x...x so much revealings ! love it !

btw I got character songs :3 mfg blessing for my ears !!! seiyuu of all of them sang soo great ! ~~ uhhh drowning into FREE! OST ^^~
*ANIME I.NTERE.ST*----> +IN anime pictures and get FREE anime & manga merchandize from JAPAN!
Sep 29, 2013 7:51 AM

Nov 2011
Rei and Rin's confrontation at the start was pretty pathetic and over-dramatic. The rest was mediocre.
Oct 1, 2013 11:50 PM

Jun 2011
No Rin vs Rei in the relay? who want RinxRei now instead of RinxHaruka? ;p
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 9, 2013 11:05 PM

Aug 2007
I really admire Rei.
Not only does he work extremely hard, he also talks about his feelings because he doesn't want to build barriers between his friends. He's honest and even confronts an issue directly to solve a problem. I could really use some of that positive energy in my life.

Oct 17, 2013 1:38 AM

Jun 2011
The RinxRei scene was a bit too intense for me, and I wish they showed more developments between Rin and Gou...

Haru is just love.

Edefrem said:
Just because he did it to himself doesn't mean you can't feel sorry for him. It's not like he thought, "Hey! I'd better damage myself and my relationships in a misguided pursuit to make myself worthy after causing my father's death!"

Causing his father's death? Am I missing something? I thought he died in a boat/fishing accident?
Oct 17, 2013 4:39 AM

Nov 2011
3/5

Episode pulling for long the question of Rin. He would have done it before a dentist to pull a tooth, and the plot does not tell us what was underneath! Bored, in addition to this as well for the many blandishments views during the narration.
Design and animations excellent!
Oct 17, 2013 11:00 AM

Jun 2009
What a nice episode.

Admittedly, I have a huge disgusting grin on my face from start to finish.
"D'awww, look at those 2 screaming their stress out on each other"
"D'awww, the way they word things, it's like they're talking about some other things"
"D'awww, Nagisa and Rei share secrets"
"D'awww, they accepted Rei, and Rei is smiling"
"D'awww, the way Ray pouted and say he don't care about Rin anymore"
etc etc... So many "D'awww" moments, from start to finish.

Cute as fuck episode...

I remember back in the first few episode, those things would've made me feel a lil bit uncomfortable... Now I'm accepting and enjoying it... Am I turning gay?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 20, 2013 6:59 AM

Jul 2009
Wow, another good episode ... starting off with Rei confronting Rin! Pretty good speech by both sides there ... and more grabbing of the shirts eh ;P Good for Rei to get his answers ... or most of them, anyway!
Ah they go to visit Rei! Wheee :3 So everyone's pumped up for the relay :D
Sorry Nishida ... but you're so annoying >_< Just go away, please :(
More Haru moments with Makoto first then Nagisa :O Saying thank you and everything?! Rei goes to meet with Rin again ... I think it's funny how he never ACTUALLY answered how he "felt" about Haru (lol that question ... seriously, ROMCOM! XD) Poor Rin, so he thought the relay "ruined" him? D: Not to mention he got taken out of the relay ... oh god, what are we gonna see in the finale?!
Oct 22, 2013 3:42 PM

May 2012
Pretty okey episode, for some reason though it went more feel then actual action but well the development is still quite decent so lets see what the last episode of this season has to offer!
Nov 1, 2013 7:28 AM

Nov 2010
Rei really shined here, he should have beaten up Rin :3
Nov 22, 2013 5:09 AM
May 2012
This is why I don't want to watch drama sometimes. It's like I am experiencing what they're experiencing and it makes me sad :/ but I'll get over it :D

Rei is really awesome!!! He confronts Rin to know and fix the problem.

I feel sorry for Rin even though he did some stupid things :/

It's nice to see that they're much closer now ^_^ I hope Rin joins them already!!!

I hope that the next episode will satisfy me.
Nov 22, 2013 2:33 PM

May 2013
Rei-kun, you so kawaii ;~;

LOL; imma be honest here and say that occasionally, I do cringe at the sappy, gay-like moments in this anime LOLOLOLOLLLLL. My Iwatobi boys are still adorable af doe hahaha <3

Still, that's intense. Whatchu gon do, Rin? :3
Apr 7, 2014 12:55 PM

Jul 2013
Rei confronting Rin was really great and now he's part of the team.

Plus Haru seems happy but now Rin is cut from relay!!! What?! Oh no.
Apr 8, 2014 3:03 AM
Apr 2014
Haru's first smile was in this episode
Jul 27, 2014 1:18 PM

Feb 2011
THAYS WHAT I THO
Aug 21, 2014 1:35 AM
May 2014
I'm wondering what happens with Rin, somehow I just can't image him being happy..

Rin gets slammed by his captain before the race oooooh ;s
Sep 6, 2014 10:33 AM

Sep 2012
Seems like all of Rei's question has been answered.

stephtastrophe said:
Rei confronting Rin was really great and now he's part of the team.

Plus Haru seems happy but now Rin is cut from relay!!! What?! Oh no.

Rei is getting closer and closer to the team.
I wanna see their match on relay but Rin is out for relay.
Sep 17, 2014 12:26 PM

Jan 2014
Rei is the best. He's like the overprotective big brother of the group. And sometimes an idiot.
Feb 18, 2015 5:50 AM

Sep 2014
Woah , Rin won't swin in relay :/

Rei can be serious :)
Jul 3, 2015 11:11 PM

Nov 2012
Huge Makoto x Haruka moments when Haruka thanked Makoto.
Jul 15, 2015 10:08 PM
May 2015
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh God, Rei and his feels.

Episode was okay I guess. The more cheerful atmosphere gave me some delight. Nice to see the accomplishmenets in the past too. I'm glad Haruka is back to his old self a bit as well.

this show is sexist to men
Feb 6, 2016 4:25 AM

Apr 2015
So Rei confronted Rin-chan-san. Asked him questions, and BAM!
Whoa. That was too much for me to handle orz

Also, Rin isn't part of the relay anymore. Nuuu...

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
Feb 6, 2016 11:19 AM

Jun 2010
I really loved the scene between Rin and Rei! <3
And it was about time for Rin to man up!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 10, 2016 3:08 PM

Mar 2012
i remember when i first watched this it took me months to watch the last episode because i didn't want it to end.
then the second season came and i didn't watch it. now i'm just as pumped for the finale as i was then.
omg, i can't even remember how it ended...
Mar 13, 2017 6:36 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The decission trainer was successful, because is you are not 100% is better choose a other that can win!!!
Jan 17, 2018 8:59 AM
May 2016
And so ends Rin's transformation. And in the last minute I was like "Come on Rin just admit you love Haru." Also Rei's line about Rin being turn on for the others did came out a bit gay.
Jan 27, 2018 7:53 PM

Nov 2012
"Haru stopped competing because of you" wasn't he not competing in the first place? And he's started back up again so what's the problem exactly? I thought he only swum free and that was his excuse used in several cases to keep him from doing competitive swimming.

Ugh, this show is getting more and more inconsistent to keep up its contrived conflicts. At least we finally got an explanation as to why Rin is like this - it took stupidly wrong but its acceptable reason enough. I'll take it and move onto the final episode.

Mmmm, melon bread and barley tea sounds good.
Oct 1, 2018 2:05 PM

Aug 2017
That scene was a bit intense. Finally, Rei said what he had to say to Rin. We learn more about what happened to him in Australia.

They took Rin out of the team relay but I think that it was the right decision.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 23, 2019 4:40 AM

May 2015
The drama here is so lame.

Also, Nitori is the most annoying guy, why is he even in this show, every time he says something is only for Rin to answer "nandemonai".
Jan 30, 2019 6:02 PM
Apr 2016
DAMN what a beginning... That was strong, I felt intimidated. What I noticed is *swimming* isn't complex, at first I thought I'll get intimidated like I was when watching Haikyuu, but turned out this anime is barely even about swimming, more of drama...
Mar 8, 2019 10:10 AM

Sep 2018
Also in this episode, the usual hysterias are again to be seen, but I have to admit that the construction of the story is very good and all the dark points of the plot find an answer. However, the cliffhanger is not bad.
Mar 23, 2019 8:04 PM

Jul 2016
Pretty overdramatic "confrontation" between Rei and Rin if I'm honest but at least I'm glad the former showed some nerve and didn't flinch nor back down. Props to Rei, he has become a really consistent character throughout the series and not the usual comic relief character like Nagisa, for example.

Another decent episode. Rin's explanation of why he changed doesn't really convince me... not to mention that I can't believe he didn't even think that there might be way better swimmers than him and Haru out there but well.

One more episode to go.
SouthRzVaMar 23, 2019 8:08 PM
Oct 21, 2019 5:14 PM

Jun 2014
They couldn't sleep, as they're so excited, but hopefully they'll do well.

Rin's "answer" to Rei at the end seemed more like a psych out attempt. I hope that Rei doesn't let it get to him.

Aug 11, 2021 2:49 PM
Sep 2018
The discussions between Rei and Rin were really good and deep in details. We learned a lot of things in this episode. I loved it!
Dec 7, 2021 7:42 PM
Dec 2017
the feelings here are really getting tense

Mar 31, 2022 6:08 AM

Feb 2020
Wow.. The beginning was so dramatic. Rin and Rei had a pretty bad argument.

Wait.. Rin is off the relay? That was a bit shocking, but I kinda understand the captain's decision.

Anyway, I'm so excited about the tournament.
Apr 9, 2023 4:27 AM
Sep 2022
I really love the dynamic between them. also that hotel scene between Makoto and Haru was pure fan service and I'm not complaining
Dec 27, 2023 10:51 AM
Nov 2016
There were several good episodes throughout Free!, but this one so far has been the only one to give me chills, all thanks to Rei. A tremendous character, undoubtedly one of my favorites in the anime.

The scene where he confronts Rin and challenges him, asking why he isn't satisfied with the victory against Haru, and how Haruka felt guilty about defeating him (which surprises Rin, as he wasn't aware of it). Rei raises questions that have crossed my mind when wondering why Rin has changed so much, what happened while he was away?

Another scene that made me like Rei even more was when he explained that now that he's in the swim club, despite having difficulties initially, he can have fun and enjoyed doing relays with everyone. He wants to help them win a championship and won't forgive Rin if he interferes with that.

The rest of the episode is filled with fun interactions among the boys with Rei, reinforcing that they are a team. There's also anticipation before the championship, and a scene where Makoto tells Haru that it would be really cool if they could make it to the finals.

And it all ends with another dialogue between Rei and Rin, and this time I finally felt empathy towards Rin, learning what happened when he was away. In Australia, Rin didn't achieve good results and felt frustrated, blaming his friends for the relay failures. Upon returning and seeing everyone competing and having fun, he remembered the happy moments they had swimming together and felt motivated again. He says he will participate in the relay and give his all, asking Rei to do the same.

This dialogue once again gave me chills. It might sound repetitive, but this was undoubtedly the best episode of the anime so far. Let's see what the next one, which is already the last of the season, brings.
Jan 18, 6:34 PM

Oct 2017
This episode felt like 10 minutes but also an hour long at the same time. So much happened.

I loved how they began and ended with Rin and Rei talking. First Rei seeks Rin out (their argument was intense! Wowza!) and then Rin seeks to meet Rei towards the end (and their conversation is more level-headed/calm).

I'm sad to see Rin kicked off the relay but understandably so - he ignores all his teammates, and I guess that went for his potential relay team too. He's not good at being a teammate or a team player. I feel bad for his roommate/teammate - that guy needs to break and give Rin the push Rin needs in order to grow (in a positive way)
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Free! shows demographic matters more than ever

Sanjay63773 - Jan 23

8 by Yaoi4U »»
Apr 3, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Free! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

lpf - Jul 24, 2013

315 by Luisito14 »»
Mar 21, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2013

408 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2013

170 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2013

102 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 5:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.