Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 23, 2013 12:42 PM

Oct 2011
Whoa was that the Banshou fan. The fan that creates rain/storms

Benten is very mysterious
Jul 23, 2013 7:23 PM
Aug 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
Sorayin said:
As always, the atmosphere and music are spectacular.
I really think we should get some explanation as to what the fuck is going on though.

What do you mean? The show is pretty self explanatory. My advice is not to worry about the plot too much. This is an alternative Japan, where magical tanuki/tengu live besides humans in Kyoto, and all three have some form of magic. As sky creatures, the Tengu control the weather, thus the Tengu sensei gave Benten a fan that controls weather. Tanuki have the ability to change their appearance, thus the MC's father was the best at this ability, able to fake a mountain. A lot of the motifs are Japanese, thus those in the west may not immediately get it, so just accept it and enjoy it.

The plot is a basic "coming of age story", which the Japanese love to show during summer. Discount all the magical aspects of this story, what this is really about is the MC growing up to become a member of a greater society.

That's not what I meant. I was talking about Benten and the back story as to what happened with their father.
Jul 23, 2013 7:50 PM

Jun 2013
Satomi is so beautiful! I loved this episode, cant wait for the fireworks party next week!
Jul 23, 2013 7:51 PM
Oct 2012
Sorayin said:
That's not what I meant. I was talking about Benten and the back story as to what happened with their father.

You seem the type of person who needs to open his presents before xmas, or who reads whodidit before starting a mystery.

Am I right?

Just enjoy it. That obviously is the major mystery of this show that will be explained in the end. Lets just say that the MC is fascinated by Benten like a frog is by the snake. That's true enough for now. And having seen Benten pull on a whale tail, I would have to say, I can understand the fascination.
Jul 23, 2013 9:30 PM

Jul 2013
I wonder who Benten really is. She seems so powerful.
Jul 23, 2013 10:39 PM

Jun 2012
Pretty enjoyable episode again. Pretty much this anime is so strange that it's interesting, so it's in a good way. I feel like it's slowly getting somewhere with the plot, but I'm sure it will be good.
Even the first half, which seemed like him just wandering around doing errands, was pretty enjoyable. Maybe it's the setting. .

The clocktower seems like a nice place to relax.

5/5.

Jul 24, 2013 12:58 AM

May 2009
As said by others, Benten is the main selling point of this show, even though she's a very mysterious woman. And I'm liking her more and more.

BTW, what was written on her T-shirt? Yasaburou seemed to make a big deal out of it, but the subs didn't typeset it, so I don't know exactly what it says.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 24, 2013 1:05 AM

Dec 2012
^ "Unrivaled Invincibility".

It was a bride from the Ebisugawa twins - Ginkaku and Kinkaku, along with the Electric Brandy, such that Benten would not lend the old Tengu's Leisure Cruise to the Shimogamos.
Jul 24, 2013 4:49 AM

May 2009
zellami said:

It was a bride from the Ebisugawa twins - Ginkaku and Kinkaku, along with the Electric Brandy, such that Benten would not lend the old Tengu's Leisure Cruise to the Shimogamos.

I knew what it was, just not what it said. Thanks for the info anyway.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 24, 2013 8:55 AM
Oct 2012
AO968 said:
zellami said:

I knew what it was, just not what it said. Thanks for the info anyway.

Pretty much what Zellami said:
To be pedantic:
天下無敵 translates as Tenka Muteki.
The characters mean
天 Heaven
下 Below
無 No
敵 Enemy
Jul 24, 2013 1:07 PM

Jul 2013
The episode was great just like the first two. I really like the atmosphere kinda reminds me of Mushishi and Natsume. Benten is without a doubt my favorite character so far. The Ebisugawa brothers are very fun too though. The only one who seems to lack a bit is the mc I guess.
Jul 24, 2013 2:49 PM

Dec 2009
Flying houses?

Tanuki mountains?

I love this.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Jul 24, 2013 3:28 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Marow said:
Flying houses?
I don't know. I'm wondering what his home owner's insurance must be like.
Jul 25, 2013 8:22 AM

Aug 2012
this episode was really awesome. especially the OST, combined with beautiful sceneries and animations, the result was magical. It has this movie-like quality. For me, the best scene was when Benten was playing with the folding fan. from that point, everything was eye+eargasmic :D

I really love Mamiko Noto's voice in this series <3

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Jul 26, 2013 1:45 AM

Sep 2012
Great to see the famous Kyoto Daimonji-yaki festival (gosan-okuribi) with bonfire looking like the character 大 at the East Mountain (higashiyama) being covered !

The map at the intermission is really helpful, I can easily locate the fan (ogi) store that they went to meet Benten.

And we get to see a lady jump into water completely nude -- I think the last time this happened was Fractale ? LOL
symbvJul 26, 2013 5:50 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 26, 2013 3:23 AM

Sep 2011
i see more room for Yasaburou's development when mum plunged him into the stream
and i wonder if Kaisei is gonna be included in the romance equation
and happy that there is indication that Benten likes Yasaburou. i like their chemistry.
AND orgasm when they revealed Yajirou's human form. OMG.

next episode is gonna be more action. im liking the relationships b/w characters, flashbacks n the slice-of-life atmosphere.....but i guess with groups (humans tanuki tengu) involved in this, action scenes can't be avoided huh........let PA Works do their magic

Panaru said:
Ugh, man.

Mamiko Noto makes me physically shiver with her performance in this. Absolutely sublime.

And again, MAI NAKAHARA'S ROLE IN THIS IS TOO FUCKING CUTE.

THIS
Jul 27, 2013 12:36 AM

Sep 2012
What uncanny coincidence again (after the one I observed between MJP and Tamayura). Again within in one week two very different anime mentioned Nasu no Yoichi, the legendary archer who was in the Genpei War in the Heian Age of Japan.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 27, 2013 10:25 AM
Nov 2010
TeNShIkA said:

He's in the OP.

Moderator Edit
Huge Picture put under spoiler tag
Suzune-chanAug 8, 2013 12:58 PM
Jul 27, 2013 10:32 AM

Sep 2012
RabieBabies said:
TeNShIkA said:

He's in the OP.
Not just in the OP, you could see him in the flashback inside the episode too.

Jul 30, 2013 9:08 AM

Mar 2013
Anyone else love that soundtrack at the end of every episode right before the ED song?
Jul 31, 2013 11:10 AM

Jul 2010
Beautiful episode! The music was top-notch, and the track that started when they got into the Inner Parlor was so beautiful, almost brought tears. Still loving the animation as well.

I wonder if there'll be a relationship between MC and Benten.
Aug 1, 2013 5:28 AM

Jan 2012
It was a nice episode :D

The 2nd brother looks nice in his human form ;p
And really that Benten is too weird... that old tengu is stupid to give everything to her imo
Aug 1, 2013 9:13 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Lyrisia said:
that old tengu is stupid to give everything to her imo
He certainly wouldn't be the first man to do something like that.
Aug 2, 2013 5:32 PM

Apr 2012
Another strange, but enjoyable episode. Benten is as mysterious as ever, but we finally got some backstory for the Shimogamo family!

Looking forward to seeing what all that talk about flying houses is about in the next episode...
Aug 3, 2013 1:12 AM

Jul 2011
Sourire said:
kurokouga said:
This honestly looks like a movie that has been split up into 13 episodes..
these are my exact thoughts, and I love it.. Beautiful scenery, animation and OST with some mysteries about the plot/characters here and there that we'll learn about later on.

so I'm not the only one who thought this
Aug 4, 2013 9:56 AM

Sep 2009
Is it only me that hate Benten already? I hate her. :/
Anyway, Yasuboro's father was so cool! HAHA. :)
And his froggy brother looks cool and adorable in his human form.
Aug 20, 2013 4:16 AM

Oct 2012
This series is so unique and atmospheric I simply can't describe it with words.

First half of this ep was kinda slow (sometimes I am really just lost in all those family names) but second half with scene where Benten changed the weather and jumped naked to the back of the whale was so poetic and airy I almost went speechless. Watching this series is really out-of-this-world experience.
Aug 25, 2013 5:37 AM

Jan 2012
This show feels so much like Tsuritama, which I loved! I just need to pay more attention to the story and not get lost in the art because I'm sort of confused.
Sep 22, 2013 11:13 AM

Apr 2012
What a girl this Benten is. Hard not to fall in love in her, I don't blame old Yakushibo.
Oct 20, 2013 6:50 AM

May 2012
This sure was a nice episode a bit weird and fan service with a whale? Well lets see what's next!
Nov 6, 2013 6:20 AM

Oct 2012
Conversations between Tengu.. I don't understand a words
In short Akadama-sensei is a tsundere xD

So Benten ate their father... and they still be "friends" or other relationship
It's weird.....
Well, Mamiko Noto's chara really full of mystery but interesting xD
"Signature removed"
Nov 27, 2013 8:40 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Folklore aside, I have clarified the ideas, thinking that this series expose these practices, using the yardstick of slice of life to understand them adequately. And to make them more effective, the narrative uses the great scenery made ​​by PA Works. That seem a bad, but it is only because the color design used is a function of the character design of the characters!
Another interesting point of that Astoria is the unexplained gap among the Ayakashi forces and Benten, which should be human! But it should be? O_o
terrablu2003Nov 27, 2013 8:45 AM
Dec 26, 2013 2:57 AM
May 2012
Benten is one crazy bitch girl ahahaha.

Their dad is a badass, turning in to a mountain!!!!!

Frog bro is pretty chill and cool.

Nakahara, Mai has a very cute voice <3

Let the romance begin!!!!!!!
Jan 8, 2014 10:49 AM

Jun 2008
WoW! Benten is such an amazingly mysterious and attractive character. A big credit has to be given to Mamiko Noto for giving her that aura with her amazing voice.

Loved seeing Benten with a T-Shirt and short jeans. Her white skin and thing siluete looked so attractive while she was dressed so casually.

Also we get information about the tanuki family dispute. Their mother looks really young when not dressed like a prince.
May 12, 2014 5:19 AM

Oct 2010
this is one strange anime
Jun 9, 2014 11:11 PM

Jan 2012
final impression = yup.. still piece of shit

why is 90% of slice of life genre always turned out to be slice of waste my fucking time?

goddammit...
Sep 5, 2014 5:02 PM
Aug 2011
Finally saw how the frog guy looks like in human form.
Dec 5, 2014 2:15 AM

Feb 2013
I wonder why that brother can't transform out of his from form. I also wonder what is with Benten. She can change the weather? What is she exactly. SHe keeps saying she's human but hell no a human can change weather, fly, lift whales! Also I think this episode confirms that Benten did eat Yasaburou's father.
Jan 25, 2015 11:29 AM

Nov 2014
Super slow paced, boring to watch.

Dec 1, 2015 7:43 AM

Feb 2014
Very chilled and relaxing. This show is great fantasy slice of life. I just love the art and atmosphere.
Feb 24, 2016 11:34 AM

Sep 2014
That frog guy is really cool. I like his easy going personality.
Jan 2, 2017 6:47 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Yeah, that scene surrounding Benten was really fascinating and well directed.

I want to hug the little bro ;_;
Mar 25, 2017 6:03 AM

Apr 2009
Benten = Ben 10...
Mar 27, 2017 11:08 AM

Sep 2015
So this episode confused me at first. But I think I got a handle on it. Basically it was a family tradition to go on a magical flying pleasure cruise every summer festival. And neurotic, hot headed oldest brother Yaichiro while taking up responsibility to secure a boat has failed to do so. So the mother makes Yasaburo our erstwhile hero find a replacement. I find a lot of the interactions in this show in general inscrutable. Especially among the family. The mother's rage at Yasaburo making his brother beg him for help was curious as hell though.

A lot of good interactions between Yasaburo and baby bro Yashiro this episode. He's too adorable I love when he gets scared and his tail comes out. He courageously (poor little guy) sails out to a location on the water with Yasaburo to ask a favor from Benten. Still beyond curious why the whole family doesn't hate this woman who ate their father. Must have something to do with tanuki personalities in legend or something I don't know. But when we're not hearing how crazy she is Benten can be kind of pleasant. That whale scene was the really pretty bit of animation for this episode. And she seems to like Yasaburo though maybe she's being sarcastic. She gave him her floating tea room at any rate. I'm interested to see that in action next episode.
Aug 30, 2017 8:16 PM

Apr 2015
Alright. The show definitely looks beautiful and foreshadows some exciting things, but if you're going to be dialogue-heavy, it has to be a bit more...I dunno, lively. I'm sticking with it, but I do hope we learn more about these elements they're simply alluding to (such as the Friday Fellows) soon.

Naked Benten did give a bit of life to the episode at the end.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 4, 2017 3:35 PM

Jan 2014
Benten is such a mysterious person.. I thought that whale would stab her with its tail lmao!

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 5, 2017 2:07 AM

Mar 2015
I am really enjoying this show so far!

Always love it when Benten appears, and fanservice is definitely always a plus!!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Dec 17, 2017 3:56 PM

Sep 2011
That Ben 10 girl is really annoying... I don't know much about her yet, but until now I disliked every scene she was in :/
May 15, 2018 9:42 PM

Sep 2013
Reading the comments, I gather that I'm supposed to fall in love with this anime, but I'm quickly losing interest. The atmosphere is great and I love the nicely detailed backgrounds, but I need more than that. I'm not saying I don't like it. It's fine and good enough to continue watching. I'm just not as into it as a lot of people I guess.
Maelstrom184May 15, 2018 9:45 PM

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Mar 25, 2019 11:11 PM
Jul 2018
Feels natural and welcoming. No plot yet and I'm assuming this is set-up and getting the viewer comfortable with the world.

The last third of the episode was fantastic. 7/10 episode.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2013

83 by blinddig »»
Mar 8, 1:54 AM

Poll: » Do you think the series will get a s3?

Vamp_Lord - Oct 28, 2023

4 by InNeedOfAName »»
Oct 30, 2023 6:30 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2013

95 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 10, 2023 6:26 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2013

104 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 10, 2023 5:25 AM

» How can someone willingly eat someone they know??

Gilsaber - Jul 15, 2021

14 by JKKH »»
Jul 27, 2023 8:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.