Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 24, 2012 12:21 PM

May 2012
I was wondering, are there any websites where you can watch anime 'legally'? I mean, where you pay something (per month f.e.) and it flows to the studio/artists that made the anime.

Anyone know of a website like that?
Feel free to recommend me good romance (BL is fine!) or slices-of-life anime I haven't seen yet!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 24, 2012 12:25 PM

Apr 2011
http://www.crunchyroll.com

Some anime you can watch for free (legally) and you can watch currently airing anime on their as well. Some you have to pay for by becoming a premium member.

enjoy.
Jun 24, 2012 12:33 PM

May 2012
Thx :)

Off-topic: Love your signature 'quote' :D
Feel free to recommend me good romance (BL is fine!) or slices-of-life anime I haven't seen yet!
Jun 24, 2012 12:36 PM

Dec 2011
Are sites like animehere and animefushigi illegal then? I use them all the time.
-----------------------------
Jun 24, 2012 12:40 PM

Sep 2010
Welshy said:
Are sites like animehere and animefushigi illegal then? I use them all the time.

Yes they are

only legal sites I know are

Crunchyroll
Hulu
Funimation
Crackle
The Anime Network
Funimation's Youtube channel
I think Gundam info is legal too
Rightstuf's youtube channel
Netflix
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jun 24, 2012 12:44 PM

Dec 2011
Well, you learn something new everyday ey? :p
Ta
-----------------------------
Jun 24, 2012 12:48 PM

May 2012
Most of those sites (f.e. Hullu, funimation and TAM) are not available outside the US :'(

Crunchyroll is the only one of the list Roloko made which is available in Europe (afaik), but you need a Visa or Mastercard for that and I have a Maestro :'(

Any alternatives?
Jun 24, 2012 1:05 PM

Aug 2007
Haezejongk said:
Most of those sites (f.e. Hullu, funimation and TAM) are not available outside the US :'(

Crunchyroll is the only one of the list Roloko made which is available in Europe (afaik), but you need a Visa or Mastercard for that and I have a Maestro :'(

Any alternatives?

No. You get fucked over unless you live in America or Canada. So if you want to watch the anime you want you're going to have to do it illegally.
Jun 24, 2012 1:08 PM

Dec 2011
http://www.anime-on-demand.com/

but that only has a very small number of series and is only for the UK (and possibly ireland?).
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jun 24, 2012 1:08 PM

Dec 2011
GloriousHawk said:
http://www.crunchyroll.com

Some anime you can watch for free (legally) and you can watch currently airing anime on their as well. Some you have to pay for by becoming a premium member.

enjoy.

CR is nice but I'd be careful cause they do sometimes get behind in schedule. Last time I checked, they were behind in Fate Zero Season 2 by 1 episode.

Welshy said:

If the site does not the license to broadcast/simul/stream, then it is illegal. But where is the fun if you play by the rules?
Jun 24, 2012 1:11 PM

Dec 2011
Woebegone said:

CR is nice but I'd be careful cause they do sometimes get behind in schedule. Last time I checked, they were behind in Fate Zero Season 2 by 1 episode.

That depends on the series. Fate/zero is very unusual in being a full week behind. Most shows are less than a day behind or not at all.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jun 24, 2012 1:13 PM

Dec 2011
kuuderes_shadow said:
Woebegone said:

That depends on the series. Fate/zero is very unusual in being a full week behind. Most shows are less than a day behind or not at all.

Back when I streamed anime, I noticed CR was behind in a few other animes. Tis why I download my anime. I never miss an episode.
Jun 24, 2012 1:26 PM

Mar 2012
Why would you want to waste money on that? But anyways Hulu and Netflix have anime, not much though. 8 bucks a month I believe.
Jun 24, 2012 1:29 PM

Dec 2011
supern3rdtendo said:
Why would you want to waste money on that? But anyways Hulu and Netflix have anime, not much though. 8 bucks a month I believe.

Bigger list of anime to choose from and no advertisements/commericials I guess.
Jun 24, 2012 2:01 PM

Jun 2012
Best bet for sure is crunchy roll. Has the most anime with the highest quality.
No matter where you go, everyone's connected.
Jun 25, 2012 1:42 AM
Jul 2009
You really should be downloading instead of streaming.
Jun 25, 2012 3:16 AM

May 2012
yourelagginme said:

It is quite hard to find older subbed anime in some decent quality :/
Jun 25, 2012 3:18 AM

Aug 2011
Haezejongk said:
yourelagginme said:

Have you tried BakaBT?
Jun 25, 2012 4:55 AM

May 2012
Tiago97 said:
Haezejongk said:
yourelagginme said:

Have you tried BakaBT?

Yes, but limited database. No fullmetal alchemist f.e.
Jun 25, 2012 10:10 AM

Aug 2007
Haezejongk said:
Tiago97 said:
Haezejongk said:
yourelagginme said:

Have you tried BakaBT?

Nyaatorrents or Pirate Bay. It also depends on what you are looking for. Some people here might have subs for older shows from before they were removed from torrent sites/download sites.
Jun 25, 2012 10:11 AM

Sep 2011

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 25, 2012 2:38 PM

May 2012
Lol at the signature :D
Jun 25, 2012 5:00 PM
Sep 2010
I just don't see how people now n days download anime I mean come on what are you guys internet speed, and how long does it take you to download a normal mkv episode between 300-400 mb?
Jun 25, 2012 5:01 PM

May 2012
360justin said:
I just don't see how people now n days download anime I mean come on what are you guys internet speed, and how long does it take you to download a normal mkv episode between 300-400 mb?

On a side note, I download anime on psp at 90-120 mb / episode :)

Does the trick on a PSP screen.
Jun 25, 2012 5:11 PM

Mar 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
[yt]l_Dz3TRNdbY/yt]

It's hard to deny this show has its moments. This is one of them.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jun 25, 2012 6:55 PM

Dec 2011
Haezejongk said:
360justin said:

On a side note, I download anime on psp at 90-120 mb / episode :)

Does the trick on a PSP screen.

For me about 15-20 minutes. Not very long imo. The duration to dl the contents of a torrent varies based on your internet speed, seeds, and peers.
Jun 25, 2012 7:49 PM

Dec 2011
Haezejongk said:

Any alternatives?

Youtube is available to you though, right? Funimation is currently hosting dozens of series both english dubbed and subbed, Nozomient also has a selection of shows to watch, AnimeNetwork too.
Drunk_Samurai said:
Haezejongk said:
Tiago97 said:
Haezejongk said:
yourelagginme said:

Have you tried BakaBT?

Nyaatorrents or Pirate Bay. It also depends on what you are looking for. Some people here might have subs for older shows from before they were removed from torrent sites/download sites.

The OP asked for legally though, which makes Bababt is the best torrent host to choose since they don't allow any liscenced series/manga/film/soundtrack . Nyaa and PB don't regulate what people put on their sites that way.
Jun 25, 2012 10:26 PM
Nov 2011
Huh, why? No one's gonna drag you out of your house and throw you in jail just because you downloaded some animation, bro. Try it smartly, though. Download from reliable sources unless you want virus/trojan invasion, which in most cases does not even happen. Streaming from Crunchyroll sucks, at least I've heard that from someone I know. Plus, they don't take on the job of subbing all the up-coming titles.
Jun 25, 2012 10:47 PM

Dec 2011
pendragonuzumaki said:

Youtube is available to you though, right? Funimation is currently hosting dozens of series both english dubbed and subbed, Nozomient also has a selection of shows to watch, AnimeNetwork too.

Funimation blocked most of their youtube channel to users outside of America a couple of months back. Nozomient's channel works fine but only has 2 episodes of each series. AnimeNetwork has a very limited number of shows available outside of America on their youtube channel (in fact I think maria holic is the only one).

Oh and in response to ProdiGene - crunchyroll is absolutely fine. The person who told you that was probably just trying to justify their illegal activities to themselves. It's a bit laggy at times in HD but I think that's more to do with the variability of my internet connection than them, and it's always fixable by switching down to 720P or 480P.
kuuderes_shadowJun 25, 2012 10:50 PM
Jun 25, 2012 11:57 PM

Aug 2007
360justin said:

Depending on how many people are connected I can probably do 3 minutes at the least amount of time on an MKV torrent. I usually get it in around 8-12 minutes.

pendragonuzumaki said:
Haezejongk said:

Any alternatives?

Drunk_Samurai said:
Haezejongk said:
Tiago97 said:
Haezejongk said:
yourelagginme said:

Have you tried BakaBT?

The OP asked for legally though, which makes Bababt is the best torrent host to choose since they don't allow any liscenced series/manga/film/soundtrack . Nyaa and PB don't regulate what people put on their sites that way.

Still doesn't make it legal. Plus he mentioned they download and since there are no legal download sites for anime yet then illegal torrents are the only way to go. Especially since he doesn't live in America or Canada.
Jun 26, 2012 7:30 AM

Jun 2012
360justin said:

Torrents are nice, Only took maybe 15 minutes to download all of Tasogare Otome x Amnesia.

The times really vary though...

Only problem with downloading is, It really takes up space if you don't watch and delete them in a timely matter... or burn them to a DVD.
Jun 26, 2012 8:06 AM

Dec 2011
kuuderes_shadow said:
pendragonuzumaki said:

Funimation blocked most of their youtube channel to users outside of America a couple of months back. Nozomient's channel works fine but only has 2 episodes of each series. AnimeNetwork has a very limited number of shows available outside of America on their youtube channel (in fact I think maria holic is the only one).

Oh and in response to ProdiGene - crunchyroll is absolutely fine. The person who told you that was probably just trying to justify their illegal activities to themselves. It's a bit laggy at times in HD but I think that's more to do with the variability of my internet connection than them, and it's always fixable by switching down to 720P or 480P.

There is software that lets you watch videos from all over the world :D

P.S.

Stream and download rule... I am not going to buy something if it's shit, this way I watch 1,2,3 episodes and if I don't like it, drop it :D Plus I can't buy in my country...
Jun 26, 2012 10:16 AM

Aug 2007
kuuderes_shadow said:

Oh and in response to ProdiGene - crunchyroll is absolutely fine. The person who told you that was probably just trying to justify their illegal activities to themselves.

I loled.

DeWinter said:
360justin said:

Torrents are nice, Only took maybe 15 minutes to download all of Tasogare Otome x Amnesia.

Only problem with downloading is, It really takes up space if you don't watch and delete them in a timely matter... or burn them to a DVD.

I don't have any space problems since this computer has a 1 TB internal. You just need to get a good external.
Jun 26, 2012 12:00 PM

Feb 2012
Yeah, you need an external HD if you want to download a lot. Me personally, I have a 500 gig internal HD, and I just bought a 1 TB external; I've already used half of its space. Still, I find it unnecessary to waste space with these 350+MB episodes, so I download finished series from minitheatre.org and encode airing series down to 70-150MB myself. Saves so much space and I can't tell much of a difference in quality, but that's just me.

As for legal options, honestly, I live in America and I don't use any of the options we have here, so I can't blame you for going the illegal route - I mean, how many choices do you really have? I'd recommend you find good sites for downloading, unless you want to stream, in which case, you won't have any problems finding anime. It's all out there somewhere. Well, most of it is.

As for download speed, my shitty ISP gives me about 1.5 MB/sec at max, maybe more, and so it usually takes me roughly 10-15 minutes to download an episode when it comes out. I only download miniHD versions of finished series, and that's usually about 1 GB for a 12 episode series with very good quality. Totally manageable imo.

"In both love and octopus-hunting, you have to take the initiative!" - Gintoki Sakata
Jun 26, 2012 12:17 PM

May 2012
Drunk_Samurai said:
DeWinter said:
360justin said:

I don't have any space problems since this computer has a 1 TB internal. You just need to get a good external.

I agree with this. I have a 2TB external I bought for less than $100, with of tons of shows (some of my completed, almost all of my PTW) AND a generous amount of asian horror movies. ;D

Still plenty of space left!
Jun 26, 2012 3:50 PM

Jun 2012
Just found this site called animeftw.tv it is in my opinion the best option for watching anime. Its completely free. Everything is streamed. And it has hd quality as good as downloading. Also has pretty much every anime you would want.
No matter where you go, everyone's connected.
Jun 26, 2012 4:59 PM

May 2012
360justin said:

Stream = instant gratification. Sometimes you just want to watch something right away instead of waiting for it to download. Of course, you can always do both, stream to get the immediate urge for instant gratification, and download it also for later viewing. ;-)
Jun 26, 2012 5:02 PM

May 2012
SecretDuckie said:

I agree with this. I have a 2TB external I bought for less than $100, with of tons of shows (some of my completed, almost all of my PTW) AND a generous amount of asian horror movies. ;D

And what would you do if that 2TB drive failed? Knock on wood, but hard-drives fail. You have to have a good backup plan. This is why for some, the notion of streaming makes more sense as they don't have to worry about this stuff. Then again, the counter argument is the need to be online, which sometimes is not doable if your out and about, traveling, etc.
Jun 26, 2012 5:51 PM

Dec 2007
360justin said:

Less than 15 minutes. I don't know about other countries but in England (UK), speed reaches its peak after midnight. During the day internet speed is limited by the ISP to prioritise web surfing for all families etc.
Jun 26, 2012 6:12 PM

Aug 2007
pika2000 said:
SecretDuckie said:

And what would you do if that 2TB drive failed? Knock on wood, but hard-drives fail. You have to have a good backup plan. This is why for some, the notion of streaming makes more sense as they don't have to worry about this stuff. Then again, the counter argument is the need to be online, which sometimes is not doable if your out and about, traveling, etc.

Streaming takes more bandwidth and if you wanted to watch an episode again you would have to reload it all over again. Downloading is far better especially since with downloading you will get the highest quality.
Jun 26, 2012 6:15 PM

Nov 2007
Drunk_Samurai said:
Haezejongk said:
Tiago97 said:
Haezejongk said:
yourelagginme said:

Have you tried BakaBT?

Isohunt as well.

I believe Netflix has FMA, but I think it's only in dub there.
Jun 26, 2012 6:38 PM

Jun 2010
Hulu has FMA. Funimation also has it I believe.
Jun 26, 2012 7:13 PM

Dec 2011
pika2000 said:
360justin said:

Stream = instant gratification. Sometimes you just want to watch something right away instead of waiting for it to download. Of course, you can always do both, stream to get the immediate urge for instant gratification, and download it also for later viewing. ;-)

If you stream, you sometimes have to wait for the site owner to post the stream for that ep. The episode(s) are most likely always available first on torrent sites like Nyaa and bakabt.

Also, streams do go dead or are removed because of copyright violation. Animes are always available for download. ;)
Jun 26, 2012 7:59 PM

May 2012
What about youtube would that be illegal to you?
Jun 26, 2012 9:10 PM

Jun 2012
Frdrz said:
What about youtube would that be illegal to you?

The youtube channels ran by the Anime companies should be perfectly fine.

The random shows that people upload onto there, Not so much.
Jun 26, 2012 10:02 PM

Jan 2009
ProdiGene said:
Huh, why? No one's gonna drag you out of your house and throw you in jail just because you downloaded some animation, bro. Try it smartly, though. Download from reliable sources unless you want virus/trojan invasion, which in most cases does not even happen. Streaming from Crunchyroll sucks, at least I've heard that from someone I know. Plus, they don't take on the job of subbing all the up-coming titles.

I think, in the OP's case, he/she wants to know that they are supporting the industry in some way shape or form. I don't get any sense of impending fear from the OP if they go download something.

Now, I am not saying one should watch anime one way or the other, I honestly don't care.
Jun 27, 2012 12:35 AM

May 2012
burntlettuce said:
ProdiGene said:

I think, in the OP's case, he/she wants to know that they are supporting the industry in some way shape or form. I don't get any sense of impending fear from the OP if they go download something.

Now, I am not saying one should watch anime one way or the other, I honestly don't care.

'illegaly' downloading an episode is perfctly fine for me (as there are absolutely no legal alternatives). But like you said, I want to support the industry when I'm streaming (which is about 90% of the time).

But in Europe, the only alternative to Funimation and Hulu seems the 'illegal' network. But thanks for all the responses!
Jun 27, 2012 1:00 AM

May 2012
Drunk_Samurai said:

Streaming takes more bandwidth and if you wanted to watch an episode again you would have to reload it all over again. Downloading is far better especially since with downloading you will get the highest quality.

Hulu is streaming some anime in HD.
Jun 27, 2012 1:05 AM

May 2012
Woebegone said:

If you stream, you sometimes have to wait for the site owner to post the stream for that ep. The episode(s) are most likely always available first on torrent sites like Nyaa and bakabt.

Also, streams do go dead or are removed because of copyright violation. Animes are always available for download. ;)

By streaming, I'm referring to the legal ones. Eg. Hulu: Hulu has Accel World the same date as the air date, AND subbed. Clearly the less than legal streaming sites will be "late" as they have to wait for people to upload the RAW/fansub.
Jun 27, 2012 3:21 AM

Jan 2011
It's legal to stream anime for others that you've already bought, apparently. There's no loopholes in the system that says otherwise.

Problem with Hulu and what not is Hulu isn't available outside the US and Canada, same goes for the youtube anime that's on official channels. It's quite unfair for us overseas when the industry is suffering as badly as it is.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.