Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
KATANAGATARI
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Aug 7, 2010 6:21 PM

Nov 2008
This show may only come out once a month, but the writing and storyline are worth the wait.

How sad he was given no choice but to kill her.
Aug 8, 2010 8:15 PM
Apr 2010
this was one of my fav episodes of katanagatari xD

i hate togame's new hairstyle it was best long but the story was great
love the background of the shichika clan
what a brutal family code to live by
will miss nanami
xD
youngmindAug 8, 2010 8:34 PM
Aug 14, 2010 1:49 AM

Nov 2007
tsubasaloverAug 14, 2010 2:12 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 18, 2010 12:59 AM

Dec 2009
Togame's hair! :( *cries*
Aug 29, 2010 1:25 AM

Jan 2010
Great episode, The 2D part is so funny, Togame's Hair now is so cute well I'm kinda sad that Nanami died :(
Sep 2, 2010 12:39 AM
Jul 2009
The 2D part reminded me of the game Muramasa for the Wii. They even used a similar sound for the encounter with that guy. Then they used shmup for Namami's rampage. LOL.

I can't decide whether I really liked or hated this episode. Nanami was just killed off. Togame's hair was cut.

I really should have waited until this series was over to watch it but I was getting extremely bored with the stuff that I'm already watching & have in reserve.

That's what I get for marathon-ing. Guess it's time to watch 8.
Sep 4, 2010 8:52 PM

Apr 2010
This episode was interesting, Nanami the scary bitch is finally dead, what a relief. Togame's hair is gone, not too bothered about it but i think longer hair suited her better. Shichika killed his own family, jesus christ! Glad Nanami is finally dead, she wanted to die, in my opinion that's very weak. The final fight could have been better/more dramatic, it seemed too quick. We should've been able to see the individual attacks in focus because at this point i remembered the epic fight between Azula and Zuko if that rings a bell to anyone, that's the kind of thing i was expecting from this fight, but sadly we didn't get that. What i mean is we should've seen each attack getting dogded, blocked, or hit because when they were moving in this fight it seemed kind of repetitive if you know what i mean. But all in all i loved this episode, now i'm gonna watch the eighth episode. I really like the little brother and sister moment after the closing sequence, but the introduction to this episode gave me goosebumps. The narrator shouldn't spoil like that, it's pretty unfair to us viewers, i mean just because the novel is already out and people have read it doesn't mean that the viewers of this series have also read it, give us a break, tell us about something that doesn't spoil the fucking episode.
Sep 24, 2010 5:41 PM

Nov 2008
Manly tears were shed :*
Oct 2, 2010 4:59 AM
Aug 2008
Hm, this episode was quite okay i think..
but i need to know the name of this hip-hop song at the end of the episode -___-
Oct 18, 2010 7:29 PM
Oct 2008
I really don't know how I didn't see it coming ... yet this show is getting to be somewhat depressing ... Shichika seems to kill everyone in his path (save for Ara ... the guy in armor, and the Itezora kid which I could've sworn died when the Maniwani chick absorbed her) yet I didn't expect the little sickly girl to go psycho in ep 4 and then obligate her brother to kill him it really took me by surprise ...
aksdmklsmalasOct 19, 2010 12:52 PM
Oct 21, 2010 9:30 PM

Mar 2010
Definitely the most emotionally touching episode do far. Greatly due to the sister-brother relationship and how they grew up in terms of lifestyle and events. However, I am extremely sad to see the passing of Nanami. As she was the most frightening character I've ever seen in anime (spoken and action wise) :P. I'm still looking forward most to the relationship building between Sachika and Togame! Next episode, here we come!
Oct 28, 2010 11:08 AM

Jun 2009
Really liked this episode.

"You weed, weed, weed, weed, weed!" Now I understand how Nanami view others, all are weeds.

Love the video game bit ^_^ Notice how she miss the bonus monk during one of the game scene... those that give extra points?

Interesting to see Togame contribute to Shichika's new ultimate move, she really did picked up a bit of Kyotouryuu.

"How would you fight her?" "I wouldn't!" great answer...

Nanami do have a rather evil side don't she? ^_^ "It's all good,"*change face* "or is it all bad?"

In the end, Nanami messed up her final line as her evilness creeps in "Good job killing me!" evil smile to scar Shichika for life.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 3, 2010 7:27 PM

Feb 2010
AirStyles said:
Really liked this episode.

"You weed, weed, weed, weed, weed!" Now I understand how Nanami view others, all are weeds.

Love the video game bit ^_^ Notice how she miss the bonus monk during one of the game scene... those that give extra points?

THIS. nothing else to say.
Nov 14, 2010 1:31 PM
Jul 2018
If it wasn't for the poor animation and ridiculous side-view scene this could be an epic episode but it wasn't because of those, it ruined the mood completely.

And please don't spoil stuff of later episode or things you've read in the novel....
Nov 21, 2010 10:35 AM

Jun 2008
She needed to die, yes she was a great character, but that's just the way this anime is...
Dec 11, 2010 6:02 AM

Jul 2010
poor animation?? you call this episode having poor animation and low budget?? how dumb do you guys can get, the drawn lines are heavy thick, characters fully detailed as well with the backgrounds, and the different style is used to give artistic touch to the show just like with bakemonogatari, and how you expect a epic fight?? an epic fight between siblings fighting each other, i think the show managed to pull off the much needed ''emotional fight'' between them, if it have shown flashy moves and the so called epic fight, the audience's focus will be in fight itself instead of in ''emotion of the siblings in the fight.''
AmberFebruaryDec 11, 2010 9:21 AM
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Dec 11, 2010 12:56 PM

Nov 2007
wow. that was sad, epic, depressing, and hints of other things all rolled into one.

But I did love it when it went all RPG.
sadness about the hair. i love when they laid down together with her hair wrapped around him. extremely adorable. speaking of, I want to see some action with them. lol, not the one where you think they are doing it but turns out to be something else.

ANYWAYS. overall, dont know if I love it or hate it.
Dec 30, 2010 12:13 AM

Apr 2009
Good, that annoying mary sue died after all, the show is getting better.
Jan 2, 2011 12:57 AM

Jan 2009
Togame is quickly becoming one of my favorite anime characters.
Her strategy to defeat Nanami was BRILLIANT!

It will take time to get used to the new hair though...this is Nina in TTGL all over again! Gahhh!! XD

Jan 5, 2011 1:25 AM
Sep 2007
This ep was kinda blah, and Togame strategy was not brilliant, anyone who can think clearly, would of figured it had to do with something to make Nanami not see.

I haven't read the manga for this, but it as to be a whole lot better then this anime. It started out awesome, but its be getting really blah, with the lame Nanmi fight and before that, the Sabi fight or not even showing that fight.
Hi
Feb 19, 2011 4:42 PM

Jul 2010
Wow this was kinda heavy, poor Shichika. Had to kill his father (who's suspected of killing his wife and who tried to kill Nanami) and now his sister....

I still don't like Nanami, she's kinda... annoying? Well now they aren't able to show her in the anime anymore but well I didn't hoped for this either.

Togame's new hair style is quite shocking but I don't dislike it :)

Shichika's new move is really cool ^^ I hope he'll use it again, maybe in the next episode?

Well it was a good episode (with a lot of background information) but I hope next episode will be a bit lighter? I mean a fight between siblings is really heavy if u ask me.
Feb 21, 2011 8:12 AM

Aug 2010
Glad she's dead. I thought her character sucked and her power was utter bullshit. She could gain the physical strength of the Itezora clan just by SEEING their strength? How in the world does that make sense? As I said, I'm glad she's dead.
Jun 24, 2011 3:41 AM

Sep 2010
Was I supposed to feel bad?
Sep 6, 2011 2:14 AM

Jan 2008
Can anyone please help me? There's something i couldn't understand (or missed) Why did Mutsue (Shichika's father) kill his wife? Did they ever mention that? I thought she also tried to kill Nanami. If that's true, we have a tragic chain of murders. Mutsue kills his wife who tried to kill their daughter. Then he also tries to kill her and gets killed by his own son who is trying to protect his sister. After a year and a half, that boy kills his sister. O_o
Sep 25, 2011 5:19 AM

Oct 2009
Amazing episode, loved the RPG bit,still..i don't feel too bad about Nanami's death, it felt..right? >.> EH..great ep either way, cute ending.

RIP Nanami.
Sep 26, 2011 10:59 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Wtf is going on... feels like skipped alot

EDIT: That ep was depressing D:
DesolatePsycheSep 26, 2011 11:41 AM
Dec 21, 2011 5:38 PM

Feb 2011
Nanami's sadistic smiles doesn't disappoint when it comes to scaring the crap out of me. I have mixed feeling about her, since she seems to be nice, pretty attractive (I sometimes think she looks better than Togame) and all that, but suddenly that smile comes and she changes to like some hyperpsycho muder bitch.
May 20, 2012 2:05 AM

Feb 2008
Wow, there's a lot of idiots in this thread that have no idea what they're talking about.

Loved this episode, though I feel like Shichika's sister died a little too early on and it could have been used better towards the ending. This episode also made me realize how damn great the soundtrack is.
May 24, 2012 1:11 PM

Aug 2011
Pretty sure I heard both the Black Butler and Samurai Champloo OST in this episode. One of the previous eps also sounded like it had Ghost in the Shell OST's as well. I guess they're taking a lot of inspiration of similar shows to match the feel of the episodes.
Jun 26, 2012 7:24 AM

Feb 2012
It would be better if the show made a bit tragic the death of nanami. Now i'm sure, Nanami is one of the scariest women in the anime world i've ever seen.
Jul 24, 2012 11:56 PM
Nov 2010
ionphantom said:
This episode was amazing. Or perhaps, depressing? Either way works.
Lol what a cute line. =P

kwangsta said:
Nanami's sadistic smiles doesn't disappoint when it comes to scaring the crap out of me. I have mixed feeling about her, since she seems to be nice, pretty attractive (I sometimes think she looks better than Togame) and all that, but suddenly that smile comes and she changes to like some hyperpsycho muder bitch.

I actually adored everything about Nanami except that scary smile. x.x I'm gonna miss her. :(

I also agree that the emotional sibling aspect of the fight was more important. Seeing him in tears as he was hitting her.... made me sad. :(
Jul 25, 2012 1:31 AM

Mar 2010
kk anime is over, best character died :(
Sep 6, 2012 5:54 AM

Nov 2008
Up till now i think Nanami is a weird character. Ok she's dead.. didn't really affect me tho >_< And wow to Togame's new hairstyle! She doesn't seem much affected as well lol! That must take years of growing..
Sep 10, 2012 5:37 PM

Feb 2011
That sure was a hell of a battle =] I am a little offset about Togame's haircur though D:
Nov 9, 2012 4:13 PM

May 2012
What an amazing episode! Can't say how epic this one and on the other side quite sad! It would be horrible to face a sibling in a fight to the death, but she did got her wish granted and that by the hand of her brother so she must be relieved in her own way! Still it's a big burden for him even if she decided it her self!

Non the less a great episode it was funny to see some retro game reference and a rpg game reference in the beginning but damn I definitely was surprised when she cut Togame's hair, this will take some getting used to as I loved her long white hair, now it's all short so yea hope the writers decide to let it grow back real fast!

Either way one fantastic episode! One of my favorites of this Anime as of yet! Can't wait to see what's next!
Dec 30, 2012 7:24 PM

Nov 2011
Loved the whole RPG/video game thing in this episode. Nee-Chan was such a great villain.
Jan 24, 2013 9:35 PM

Nov 2011
Nice fight this episode tbh and definitely something don't want to take your eyes off of. And what a technique this is:

She could of killed him over 270 times! Also, dat bitch slap. CHEERIO! I'm going to miss Togame's long hair though and of course Nanami Yasuri. 5/5 for this episode.
Mar 20, 2013 1:53 PM
Apr 2012
I always hate it when they kill off the most powerful characters in such pathetic ways.
Nanami definitely was my favourite character of this anime.
''That's good. Or maybe it's bad?'' Made me lol everytime!
But i also must add that her power became a little bit ridiculous and over the top at some point. How can you copy physical attributes of other just by seeing them?? It would be fine if it was just techniques but that's pretty stupid.

Ps: Her eyes put the Sharingan to shame lmao
Morani90Mar 20, 2013 1:58 PM
Apr 10, 2013 3:13 PM

Sep 2011
I'm sorry, but I didn't feel bad for Nanami, she was a bitch. She killed so many innocent people for what reason? That she could die? WTF? I liked her in the first episode, but after seeing her true side in the insect squad episode I started hating her. I can understand some of her problems though like her father wanting to kill her and probably calling her a monster, but I still can't feel bad for her.
She also wanted to kill Togame... At least it was only a haircut. I don't hate it, but the original was way better :/

I also didn't really like Togame's plan to make Nanami "blind". It was clever and necessary, but a bit too dishonorable.

I liked the two video game-like scenes. Unnecessary, but very funny :)
May 2, 2013 7:53 PM
Aug 2011
AngelicFeces said:
Was I supposed to feel bad?

I kept asking myself this as I read some of the comments.

Visually gorgeous episode but aside from that I didn't like it at all.
I felt nothing for Nanami.
The fucking narrator killed it. The impact would have been greater if she didn't spoil it.

Maybe I felt a little concerned for Sichika since we're seeing more emotions come from him as the episode go on.

I'm slowly becoming dissapointed with this anime.
Hopefully the remainder of this turns out to be better for me especially now that Nanami is out of the way.
May 27, 2013 11:49 PM

Jan 2013
Amazing episode
5/5
Jun 27, 2013 11:11 PM

Nov 2012
it is awesome.. but in same way.. it is kind of boring -_-
Jun 29, 2013 12:38 AM

May 2013
feel so bad for nanami
should have been born as a normal girl T_T

she was/is my favourite character in this story T_T
Jul 15, 2013 4:39 AM

Mar 2013
They actually managed to make the little sister likeable. Thought she just would be another overpowerd maincharacter, but they did a great job in making her a villain. But ofc the maincharacter beats here (i hope he dies at least at the end-.-, but propably not)

Well at least they tried to excuse that with saying "she wanted to be killed"
The villains of the show are all rather interesting and likeable, the same cant be said for the protagonists
Aug 6, 2013 10:30 PM
Jul 2013
I'm waiting for when Gods come down and tell us how Nanami is actually a God child, and she was placed inside the womb of a human for whatever reason because being able to exert such physical strength with the little muscles and training that she has just by looking at it being shown is a God-like power. So I'm going to assume that she is a Goddess and, therefore, has magical abilities.
Aug 27, 2013 5:36 AM
May 2012
That was sad and I like Togame more with long hair well I'll just get used to it.
Nov 7, 2013 4:54 PM

Jul 2013
ReaperEXE said:
Haha, a sword with that power was an inevitability. They wouldn't have spoiled Nanami's death last episode so blatantly otherwise. It was kind of funny how parts of the episode were like a side scrolling action game, and you only really see the characters mouth's move in dialogue sequences. Shows how far down production values have gotten.

Well I guess that's one way of observing the side scrolling game scenes... criticizing the production values. Even if it is cheaper, thought it was a great addition. Since those type of games are so much more popular in Japan rather than the 3D hit titles here in the west.
Dec 21, 2013 4:01 AM

Jul 2013
To be honest I was surprised by Nanami's death, I didn't expect White Fox to be stupid enough to spoil it so blatantly so I assumed that they must have been trolling.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 1, 2014 4:35 AM

Aug 2012
I really enjoyed this episode, it's started funny with those references but went depressing by the end of the episode..

I loved this Visual Novel-ish conversation between these 3 :

http://s25.postimg.org/7i3zhf627/image.jpg

and also this "event CG" that usually appears in Visual Novel, really great idea and funny :

http://s25.postimg.org/st1jloo6n/image.jpg

Notice how the drawing style was different, especially Togame and Shichika's eyes lol.

Anyway, Nanami's death was already depressing, but the studio decided to make it worse by adding the watermelon eating scene at the end of this episode T____T

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Jan 6, 2014 1:14 PM

Aug 2013
What was the song at the end? When Togame and Shichika were talking, I'm digging that song :)
In fact, I just noticed but the OST of that anime is really great. I'm not talking about the OP and ED, even if they are good too.

I really liked the style of some scene, it looked like a video game :P

The drama was pretty good, it was almost depressing to see a brother forced to kill his sister...
It was pretty awful too, that dagger in the the chest. Who the fuck think it is a good idea to make a katana that work like that?!? xD

Togame hair..... NOOOOOOO!! How could she do this, that evil little sister. :(
I hope it grow back slowly during the rest of the show.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hana-kei - Apr 16, 2010

420 by valennienana »»
Apr 22, 6:30 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 8, 2010

180 by ariharan_ars »»
Feb 3, 10:31 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Dec 10, 2010

631 by I_LIKE_ANIME_SO »»
Jan 3, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2010

333 by Dumb »»
Jul 30, 2023 5:55 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

bautrey37 - May 23, 2010

163 by Aldones »»
Feb 18, 2023 7:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.