Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
May 12, 2010 2:32 PM

Dec 2009
Haha, it only gets better Sherr.
Jun 3, 2010 1:23 PM

Jan 2010
i knew it...those guys were bad,i knew it from the first second :)
but cannibals?wtf...that poor girl :(,those assholes deserved to be tortured

and kino's also badass,killing like that wow...

this anime is exceding my expectantions currently!
if it keeps going like that a 10 is guaranteed from me :)

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jun 4, 2010 4:44 PM

May 2010
yeah great episode *drop all your wepons* and then kino's like SURE and then the guys are like WTF how many does she have and then bam bam bam they all die
Jun 10, 2010 12:18 PM

May 2010
DrakeWants2Speak said:
I knew those guys were gonna turn out to be crooks :P

Yes they looked evil to me.

Only upon looking at this forum did I discover Kino is a girl not a guy!
Jul 11, 2010 5:50 PM

Aug 2008
kino sure is an awesome character
Jul 13, 2010 5:47 AM
Feb 2009
Very enticing. It's a lovely show.
Jul 20, 2010 1:28 PM

Aug 2009
Very disturbing and profound. Now this is good anime.
Aug 21, 2010 9:30 PM

Aug 2009
.....NICE!!!!

Sep 15, 2010 6:48 PM

Aug 2010
Oct 3, 2010 1:13 PM

Apr 2010
When Kino was getting all her knives out I like how the one guy was like "What are you a knife dealer?" Cause she had like eighty-million.
Nov 22, 2010 10:18 PM

Dec 2009
I just knew that this episode was going to contain something about cannibalism at one point.

the twist got me by surprise.
Jan 17, 2011 8:40 PM

Sep 2009
why oh why did it take me so many years to finally get this show to finish watching it
that was so good
Mar 7, 2011 7:17 AM

Jun 2009
I knew it, I had a hunch those guys weren’t any good. The ending still shocked me, nonetheless.

Definitely, quite the thought-provoking and deep episode. “Kindness is not always returned with kindness.” isn’t it? Humans will keep being ruthless beings, its nature, no matter what we do, no matter how hard we try or help, won’t change.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Jul 21, 2011 9:11 AM

Aug 2007
Great episode, it was dark. But, it really wasn't that thought provoking :/ Didn't tell me what I didn't already know.

This show is overhyped for me atm.

Aug 4, 2011 11:44 PM

May 2010
Wow...that was sick..
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 22, 2011 7:48 PM
Jul 2018
Now this...is a thought-provoking anime.

Fucking amazing episode. How did I not hear about this years ago?

10/10, on its way to masterpiece status in my completed list...
Dec 20, 2011 8:29 PM

Mar 2011
Three dead rabbits for three dead men.
Jan 10, 2012 7:04 AM

Dec 2011
Moral of the story "Kindness does not beget kindness, though that only apply to humans."
Jan 27, 2012 8:37 PM

Feb 2009
The rabbits died for a good cause... or maybe not.
Mar 20, 2012 1:59 PM

Jan 2012
I was very hesitant to watch this anime because I fell asleep watching Haibane Renmei, and this anime is supposedly have the same feel.

I might give Haibane another chance, but the pace is sooooo slow

Great episode though.
Apr 11, 2012 11:16 AM

Mar 2008
awww, Nostalgia <3 :)
May 24, 2012 10:06 PM

Jun 2010
danmari said:
At this point I'm still undecided if this is genuinely deep or a bit pretentious. But I definitely like the atmosphere.

Same, haha. But I'm going to give the anime the benefit of the doubt.
If it keeps this quality up, it may become the first 10 on my list.
Jun 11, 2012 2:39 PM

Nov 2011
Badass Kino being badass at the end this ep, makes sense.
Jun 19, 2012 8:52 PM

Feb 2012
I was loving this episode until the ending. In my opinion it would have been much better if the three men lived. It became clear early on that those men participated some very shady business, but I disliked how the show made a judgment call on them. The show makes it clear that the reasons those men participated in the slave trade was because they suffered from some severe moral flaws. It was too much of a stretch for me when they tried to capture Kino after she saved their lives spouting a BS line about how wolves will always be wolves. Even the most horrible people in history would help people that helped them. It would have been much more interesting if the slave traders were actually decent men who participate in a morally repulsive act (according to our own sense of morality) because that was how their society was run. Honestly, their society sounds similar to what Vikings. It appeared like the entire village support and rewarded such acts and I find it hard to believe that every villager is evil; that kind of thinking can lead to war and genocide. The traveler must be careful to avoid judging other cultures by the standards that they judge their own.
Aug 16, 2012 1:21 AM

Sep 2011
Holy shit, what an episode! Poor rabbits died for nothing... they could've been Kino's food. :(
Oct 22, 2012 10:58 PM

Jan 2010
That was a smart episode. A really smart episode.
Dec 23, 2012 1:57 PM
Jul 2018
Salmissra said:
why oh why did it take me so many years to finally get this show to finish watching it
that was so good

Same case as well.
I think that episode can show in a philosophy lesson or something.
Great thing to discuss about it.
Jan 14, 2013 2:40 PM

Feb 2012
I always pictured this show as kind of like Mushishi. And it is, except with Kino being more likely to gun you down and not think twice about it. Good stuff.
Mar 16, 2013 1:53 PM

May 2012
Started off rather weak but it just felt that there was something fishy going on, that ending sure was deserved especially with the last scene...

Good episode didn't know they'd put a concept this sick in it but well it makes it even more interesting!
Mar 19, 2013 1:08 PM

Jul 2012
Lmao @ all those knives she carries. Can never be too careful, eh Kino?
Mar 28, 2013 11:02 AM

Jul 2011
That's all? I expected at least 6 knives.

I love how she killed them, and that she didn't just knock them out or something. She didn't hesitate to kill the rabbit either.

I was certain they sold drugs, never thought of slaves.
Apr 24, 2013 7:58 PM

Mar 2013
Nayah said:
Those rabbits died for nothing.
also if you think about it the girl who was canibalized did too
"Stop whining, all I did was chop off your stupid legs."
May 22, 2013 1:18 PM

Oct 2010
That episode was fantastic. I particularly love how Kino dealt with the slave traders in the end. The dialogue between Hermes and Kino at the end was also one of the highlights. This is exceeding my expectations, and I just hope the series continues the momentum.
May 24, 2013 11:59 AM

Jan 2013
Wow I wasn't expecting THAT from this anime.
Rather great, one of the better episodes of anime I've seen in a while.
Jul 18, 2013 5:19 AM

Jul 2013
Great episode. Very promising and i wouldn't be too surprised if this ends up being one of my favorites anime series.
Jul 22, 2013 12:42 PM

Aug 2011
Just wow. This episode really surprised and disturbed me... Promising anime.
Jul 22, 2013 2:11 PM

Aug 2010
I love the way Kino handled the situation. Kino seems to be well trained. Kino proved to be awesome this episode.

5/5
Sep 29, 2013 3:57 PM

Nov 2011
Looks like human nature is not worthy enough to eat rabbits.
Oct 14, 2013 12:14 PM

Aug 2008
I don't really know about any clear morals to this story, its just some really good food for thought and this episode really had me sit down and think hard about it. You can't just look at the plot/premise of each episode as one big picture and just pull a moral out of that. You have to listen to the individual conversations, absorbing them one by one.

What really struck me was Hermes's last question: "What will you do next time you're faced with such a situation?" And the way Kino responds is a bit ambiguous but it complimented well with my answer to Hermes's question. If such a situation were to ever happen again, I would still have to help those that are in need. Even though something like this happened, there is nothing to learn, there are no morals, in the end we are all just human. You can't allow a potentially innocent person to die just because the last time you tried to help, they ended up turning on you.

The only thing we can do is hope for the best because in the end we are just human.

Another thing that interested me was when Kino said that she ended up helping the humans instead of the rabbits because humans have the potential to help you, but as we have observed at the end, humans also have the potential to hurt you. Just a small connection I made to another dialogue shared between Hermes and Kino.

And a final thing that I noticed was that Kino is a very realistic character, she isn't the chivalrous do-gooder who helps others without anything in return, shes a pragmatic realist who does things just as any normal person would, not like how the average hero of a story would. When the men offered her a ring as a reward, I immediately thought she would turn it down because that is obviously what any generic hero would do. Your average protagonist would do good and expect nothing in return but Kino does have desires and accepts the ring and even plays around with it, wearing it and admiring it. That struck me as a really realistic feature of Kino. And also when she expressed just how scared she was after the fight, it made her even more realistic and down to earth. Just as the story was about to make Kino out to be some calm and collected assassin, she reveals just how scared she was on the inside. That is something I really like about how Kino is portrayed.
FunnymrbunnyOct 14, 2013 12:20 PM
Oct 14, 2013 12:20 PM

Aug 2008
ALSO: I find Hermes's approximate knowledge of many things to be adorable:

"Like... topology?" ".....you mean... telepathy?" "yeah! that!"

"Vanity is not for the likes of mothers?" ".....you mean, charity is not for the sake of others?" "yeah! that!"

xDDDD
Oct 23, 2013 3:18 AM

Aug 2013
*sees Slice of Life tag*
"Oh this must be one of those relaxing "let's go on a journey yay explore!" kind of shows."

*watches episode 1*
"Ooh Kino sure does visit interesting places. It's not as calming as other SoL shows though, it's actually a bit sad now that I think about it."

*watches episode 2*
"..."
"..."
"..."

Wow. By slice of life I guess they meant thought-provoking, reflect on your own life. I didn't expect it to turn out that way. That was heavy. I'm only at episode 2 but I'm ready to give this a 10/10.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Nov 21, 2013 6:03 AM

Jul 2012
I need to confess, this episode caught me with my guard off, never expected that! I think the concept is that in order to help fellow (humans) she ended with the life of various rabbits. For some reason she wanted to keep track of it, hanging their skin in the branch. That moment she told Hermes it was different that if she hunted the rabbit to feed herself (she didn't eat any rabbit they shared with her). Ultimately she understood that we'll always put first our own species, also it's important to note compassion, she had compassion for the men and I think that for the rabbit too, but she took the team of the humans. Hermes could be her consciousness, just theorizing here.
Jan 8, 2014 12:36 AM

Aug 2008
I have to say this episode really combined well the issues of human trafficking, animal hunting as well as the darker side of altruism. It really all mixed up as one in this episode. Great show as well as its simplicity. Kino I think is the only who had the guts to face that kind of fucked up world she traveled around with.
"Everyone wears their own panties inside their heart" - Kousaku Hata

Feb 12, 2014 9:57 PM

Jan 2013
Wow I didn't expect this anime to be this...good. I'm actually pleasantly surprised and now I know why this anime has a 17+ tag.

By reading some of these comments I also just found out Kino was a girl; interesting.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 17, 2014 7:50 AM

May 2013
That was horrible what they did to that girl, those fuckers deserve a much worser death than that...
Apr 23, 2014 10:09 PM
Dec 2012
Episode 2 of Kino's Journey. Well... that was rather depressing.

Outside of the more overt moral of the farmer and the viper, or, in this case, the traveler among wolves in human flesh, or slave traders, is the notion of, well, wolves in human flesh, the reasonings people possess when they provide aid to others. A matter that ultimately boils down to guilt and, consequently, self-interest? A matter of human-inflated egotism, of a inherent, default, objective good of mankind?

Yet when compared to rabbits, these people Kino helped engaged in slave trading, betrayed their benefactor, ate their captive, all acts of the most monstrous kind. Yet, if their tales by the fire are true, they are also undoubtedly human, who are able to laugh and love just as much as we do. How has what they've done good? Does not their actions place doubt on these "objective good of mankind" premise? I mean, the rabbits didn't hurt anyone, and they were slaughtered for sustenance all the same. They died for nothing, ultimately.

On a side note, Kino's undoubtedly faced situations like this before if that knife doubling as a gun has anything to say about anything about her. And yet she travels on and continues to engage with people knowing the risks. But at the same time, she's also careful with how long she engages with them at any one time.

Fun how the meaning of the episode title also ended up being literal.
ZeroReq011Apr 23, 2014 10:15 PM
May 26, 2014 6:46 PM
May 2014
This is one of the greatest episodes of anything, ever. Damn, chills all over.
I don't believe in opinions. But you're entitled to if you want.

'Only a sith lord deals in absolutes.'
-A Hypocrite
May 30, 2014 10:33 PM

Nov 2012
RangFlash said:
This was one of the most memorable and thought-provoking episodes of an anime I'd ever seen.
^This,so very much so.This just blow episode 1 away.Seems this might possibly being the next 10 on my list.

Those rabbits died in vain.

Poor girl.I suspected they were human traffickers and thought of the possibility of them being cannibals but didn't expect them to go that far.

Personally I think they deserved a worst off death like starvation or hypothermia,which every came first.
Jun 5, 2014 11:13 PM

Sep 2013
Really enjoyed this episode. Very thought provoking.

I think a big part of this episodes message is that, good deeds are only done when the person expects a reward of some sort, not necessarily jewels or other valuables.

A big thing with this episode though, is that despite the fact she very clearly knows she killed 3 rabbits for the sake of 3 cannibalistic slave traders who inevitably died by her hands in the end. She looks back and realizes, even if I came across the same situation, I likely would do the exact same thing again. At least that is what I got out of it.

The rabbits cannot give anything back for letting them live, and people kill rabbits all the time for dinner. The moment she was given a valuable, she realized, okay, these rabbits are not dying for nothing, but as soon as she realized her greed made her kill more rabbits for the sake of nothing, she just couldn't help but be disgusted by it.

I also can't help but feel she wasn't too saddened by the girl who died, as she stated before, "I realize my health comes at the cost of an animals life" Well what if that other life is another human? Is there a difference there? All in all, very fantastic episode.
Jun 18, 2014 1:42 PM

Mar 2012
Wait, Kino is a girl? lol I soooo thought they were a dude lol

I liked this episode a lot more then the first
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 15, 2008

84 by mySaudate »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 11, 2008

128 by Drakath_V »»
Today, 1:16 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 8, 2008

122 by PlasticRobot »»
Apr 29, 4:39 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 12, 2008

85 by paul1990xco »»
Apr 9, 6:05 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 16, 2008

98 by Ratris_Decision »»
Jan 13, 7:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.