Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 11, 2016 7:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Huh they used some rather eerie music for the theme songs.

Idk how I feel about the episode tbh, it just starts off weird. However, I am glad that they reintroduced some of the more familiar characters from the franchise including Naegi and Kirigiri. Animation remains pretty much similar from what I remember although the setting is quite different. Definitely curious to see how the story will progress with this as there's a diverse range of characters. Monokuma is still pretty silly to watch :>

Jul 11, 2016 7:27 AM

Nov 2007
Forming an association to defeat despair. A meeting to get rid of main guy because they suspect him about him siding with Despair girl? Ex-teacher talking about the two hopes cooperate together.

Attack and he got suspected, too. Everyone got caught. Monokuma again, that mean same situation as previous anime season. Starts off with the ex-teacher as first victim. Monokuma's challenge.

OP and ED are cool.
tsubasaloverJul 31, 2016 8:33 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 11, 2016 7:36 AM

Sep 2012
Opening

Ending
GoldenSaltPillarJul 11, 2016 8:15 AM
Jul 11, 2016 7:39 AM

Jul 2014
I'm so damn hyped omf

Edit: ok, watched it now, and as expected, that was just great. Good old soundtrack :') Izayoi and that big fluffy thing girl look ship worthy, but big fluffy thing girl also seems like a worst girl candidate. (Too early to decide yet, but first impressions)
Sasuga Danganronpa, the first to die is always that one character who you think is gonna be really important... I fall for it every time. Sad though, I really liked Yukizome, didn't expect her to die at all ;-; and I was just starting to ship her with Munakata.
Monokuma's new seiyuu is alright. At the very least, she's trying.
No more pink blood :'(

Naegi has suffered too much. Look at the pain in his eyes
toblynarutoJul 11, 2016 9:08 AM
Jul 11, 2016 7:42 AM

Jun 2008
Spoilers for the second game right from the first episode. I hope most of the people watching this have played the second game.
Jul 11, 2016 7:57 AM

Apr 2008
Holy crap!!! Ive been waiting for this!!!! 8'D
Jul 11, 2016 8:12 AM
Nov 2015
Where are you guys watching it??
Jul 11, 2016 8:17 AM

Jun 2008
The_Cube5671 said:
Where are you guys watching it??

It's on funimation's site.
Jul 11, 2016 8:20 AM

Feb 2008
Well I saw it released on raw now . I have no doubt I will see horriblesubs soon.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jul 11, 2016 8:28 AM

Nov 2012
HYPE AF!!!!!!!
AWWWWWWWWW KIRIGIRI

ugh monokuma seiyuu :x
AgapanthusJul 11, 2016 8:36 AM
Jul 11, 2016 8:57 AM

Feb 2008
Monokuma is back !! Now starting death game. OMG that girl died already and they choose Kyousuke closest person.

One traitor among them.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jul 11, 2016 9:16 AM
Dec 2015
Well damn, Kirigiri sure has some death flags in that OP.

In terms of actual death flags raised in the episode, Hagakure's crystal ball smashing after he was about to look into Naegi's future does not look promising for Naegi. Perhaps its supposed to throw us off, but with Danganronpa it's hard to tell.

Wasn't expecting Yukizome to go so soon tho. I thought she'd be a key component in Munakata and Naegi getting along/uniting their hopes. I suppose she kinda still is, since her death should spark some character development from Munakata. Maybe Yukizome's death will be to Munakata what Maizono's death from Danganronpa 1 was to Naegi?
Jul 11, 2016 9:16 AM
Jul 2018
I didn't expect that girl to die so soon. Though it was easy to predict she would at some point.

Oh fuck the hype.

Anyway, Monokuma says that it will be the conclusion of his and Makoto's story but comes back in V3?

Plz don't kill off Kirigiri.
Jul 11, 2016 9:27 AM

Nov 2009
Is it just me or does this Mitarai Ryouta guy resemble Chiaki or Byakuya. Anyway he seems a little suspicious...
Jul 11, 2016 9:27 AM

Apr 2014
Monokuma is back with more despair than ever before

The blood is finally red instead of that stupid purple shit

Let the games begin XD

Jul 11, 2016 9:34 AM

Nov 2012
seeing those scenes in the beginning with the ultimate despairs was so hype :>
besides that the episode was pretty good i guess, the new characters seem quite interesting at least.

monokuma's new voice is so weird though, it's going to take a while getting used to that :p
Jul 11, 2016 9:35 AM

May 2016
Wait, the blood's red now? Huh?
Is someone trying to take Danganronpa seriously this time around?

I might be getting just a little bit excited.
Jul 11, 2016 9:38 AM

Sep 2013
Just to check:
When is this happening in the timeline?

I think this is during the second game. The despair students are already hidden in the island.

BTW, where is Togami? And is Hagakure in the killing game?
Jul 11, 2016 9:38 AM

Sep 2009
Well shit. Kirigiri's death flag has been raised in the OP.

My opinion on the Future Foundation cast is equally split. Beating up Naegi before even hearing him out? *shakes head* I like Munakata and Yukizome and she is already killed off in the first episode. Had a feeling one of them was going to die after those close moments they had but I certainly wasn't expecting it in episode 1. Guess the impact is there.

On another note, that's the second hanged body I've seen today. First Re:zero now this. Hoo boy.

Mirai-hen turned out to be much darker than I had expected and I love it :D Still getting used to Monokuma's new VA.
velvetprayerJul 11, 2016 9:51 AM
Jul 11, 2016 9:42 AM
Jun 2013
JDiraz said:
Just to check:

I think this is during the second game. The despair students are already hidden in the island.

No, this takes place after. Monokuma mentions that the killing game has happened twice. And if it did take place during the second game, that would give Naegi and Kirigiri some serious plot armour
Jul 11, 2016 9:42 AM

Mar 2009
I got spoilered on the first victim but apparently it was wrong so I'm really glad that I was still surprised in the end.
A really nice start, I'm looking forward to Zetsubou-hen more but this seems to be interesting as well.
Jul 11, 2016 9:45 AM

Dec 2012
HYPE AF- oh wait. WHAAAAAAT?? Why would you kill the nicest person in that room? (besides Naegs) ?? Why bring us the hope she's gonna be a significant role when she's the first victim?! And all that shipping with the albino Togami too..!

I'm just gonna ask myself what Naegs is asking himself... how and why?? I get it,the second time made sense,but now... just when is gonna Junko go to hell?

Buuuu,new blood sucks! I want my pink blood back or this isn't DR.
The new Monokuma voice sucks as well. I don't think I'm gonna get used to that weird "upupupu" soon.
Glad OP and ED both sound/look good. (the ED gave me Ranpo Kitan vibes heh)

Those short scenes of my despair kids were all I wanted; great ep.

Jan 2013
Monokuma's voice is literally killing me -5/5

Not bad, seems to be another killing game, I wasn't sure it'd be one. I'm guessing Naegi will still be the main wuss character. The new characters seem cool. I'm just a bit confused about how the two simultaneously airing Danganronpas will be related, but I guess we'll see. 4/5

Jan 2014
JDiraz said:
Just to check:

This anime is taking place after the events of (Super) Danganronpa 2. If you want to refer to the official timeline, here's the link (spoilers): http://taichinchin.tumblr.com/post/146599340971/danganronpa-timeline-translated-major-spoilers

And the whereabouts of Togami is potentially on Towa Island (Check out Another Episode for more info). As for Hagakure, I'm not so sure about. Guess we'll have to wait for future (heh) episodes.
Jul 11, 2016 9:46 AM

Sep 2012
First chapter was pretty amazing as an introduction. I was only looking forward to Zetsubou-hen (mostly because of Nagito) but I'm digging this one already.

It actually feels more like Zero Escape than Danganronpa and for me that's a good thing.
Jul 11, 2016 9:48 AM

Jul 2014
So, the blood's not red anymore? That's strange, as that seemed to be as much an icon of Danganronpa as Monokuma is. At least they maintained the music from when they find a dead body though. That aside, this was a great start, though what probably helps is the fact that I read summaries about Danganronpa 2 just before this so I'd be prepared. Looks like this will be darker than before, though who knows? As long as it is able to balance sticking to the old formula while also mixing it up well enough, I won't complain too much.

Oh, and both the OP and ED are great as well.

Only one question though: where are Togami and Fukawa in all of this? Are they at another branch of the Future Foundation, or are they somewhere else entirely?
Jul 11, 2016 9:50 AM

Apr 2010
Bandai = Rie Kugimiya

Please no, i can't handle it anymore
Jul 11, 2016 9:51 AM

Jul 2013
Those scenes with the Remnants of Despair have got me so hyped for Thursday
Jul 11, 2016 9:51 AM

Apr 2015
That was so freakin good. It's nice to see again the fourth survivors of the first season. But why Yukizome had to die when I started to like her ?
Looking forward to the despair arc.
Jul 11, 2016 9:52 AM

Mar 2013
"Naegi got punched then being nursed by the kind,caring and seemingly important female character then that female character got killed off first."

It sure happened all over again.

I still much prefer Monokuma's old voice but the new one is okay.I don't think I will ever get used to Bandai's voice though...
Jul 11, 2016 9:53 AM

Dec 2012
danieltortoisee said:
Only one question though: where are Togami and Fukawa in all of this? Are they at another branch of the Future Foundation, or are they somewhere else entirely?

They are off in Towa City,based on the events of Another Episode.
Jul 11, 2016 9:54 AM

Sep 2013
-BlackRock- said:
JDiraz said:
Just to check:

This anime is taking place after the events of (Super) Danganronpa 2. If you want to refer to the official timeline, here's the link (spoilers): http://taichinchin.tumblr.com/post/146599340971/danganronpa-timeline-translated-major-spoilers

And the whereabouts of Togami is potentially on Towa Island (Check out Another Episode for more info). As for Hagakure, I'm not so sure about. Guess we'll have to wait for future (heh) episodes.

Thanks for that!
Really useful for all the stuff that's happening.

Somehow I thought that when Junko died so did Monokuma. I guess not.

And I just noticed Hagakure appears in the OP with the bracelet and the rest of the trapped guys. So yeah, he should be trapped too.
JDirazJul 11, 2016 10:01 AM
Jul 11, 2016 9:57 AM

Jan 2014
This episode was absolutely amazing! It was great to see the cast from the first game back, fully matured and even the cast of the second game (The Remnants of Despair).

I'm pretty divided on the rest of the Future Foundation members, though. The way they allow one of their peers to instantly beat up Naegi instead of interrogating him proper is not only rude but also concerning.

The blood is red. Which is really surprising. It's never red in any of the game or any other related media. So this is a first. It'll take some time getting used too for long time fans, I guess.

Also, the new VA for Monokuma will DEFIANTLY take some time to get used too. It sounds a lot more high pitched and rather annoying then what it did before. Not saying her VA wasn't bad, just it was incredibly noticeable.

Other than all that, pretty decent start to the series. The first victim has been killed off already (which sucks cause she was best girl) but I'm still really hyped for the rest of this series and Zetsubou-hen.

Also, OP and ED = 10/10

Episode score = 4/5
Jul 11, 2016 10:01 AM

May 2015
finally 3 years later
Kono Giorno Giovana Niwa Yume Ga Aru
Jul 11, 2016 10:08 AM
Dec 2010
That was hype.

Kinda got the sense we were looking at another killing game as soon as I saw how many people were gathered around that table. Glad I wasn't wrong - Just wouldn't feel like DR without one.

Seeing real-colored blood in this series is going to take some getting used to.

Hagakure seems to be on the outside, but a short distance from where the others are trapped. And Togami doesn't seem to be there either (though he didn't appear in the episode).

I think this is going to be a good one. Hopefully the Despair side complements it well. We may have gotten a taste of some of what we'll see there in the early part of this episode.
Jul 11, 2016 10:15 AM

Jul 2015
Red Blood

What a way to start, I was with my sister here talking about how Chisa and Kyousuke were going to be really interesting characters, and look, 2 minutes later she's dead.

I want to think that she really isn't, but they already did that before and they always come out with surprises, so my bets are that she's really dead and we will know why watching the Zetsubou-hen anime.

Also, I knew the situation was serious, but goddamnit, I can't stop laughing every time Bandai talks, it's just so out of place (even they said it during the episode, my sides).

The hype is real in this one, I hope they deliver, the first episode was great, also both OP and ED are pretty good too!
Jul 11, 2016 10:17 AM

Aug 2015
Ahh yes. Unnecessary exposition. My favourite kind.

Other than that this was a pretty good first episode. They left out a few series staples like the character introduction cards and pink blood though.
Jul 11, 2016 10:20 AM

May 2016
OMG! They trolled the hell out of us with Chisa
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jul 11, 2016 10:24 AM

Aug 2008
Finally, it's back. I didn't play the 2nd game but I can more or guess what happen.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jul 11, 2016 10:29 AM

Feb 2013
"I think that, before they fell into despair, there where times when they talked with their friends about hope". I think that, even after falling into despair, one of them never shut up about it.

This show is not new-viewer friendly, lol. Spoiling the big twists of both games within the first minute and all.

I'm sure we'll see more of that teacher in the Despair half.
Jul 11, 2016 10:33 AM

Aug 2013
Enjoyable first episode

Forgot this anime existed have way too many anime on watch now this season.
Jul 11, 2016 10:34 AM

Jun 2016
Monokuma's voice is noticeably different.

And seriously, what's up with that big character with the chompy teeth and squeaky voice? Urgh, I hope they kill him/her first, LOL.
Nov 2014
And the character i was starting to enjoy dies... :c

But seriously...a lot of people is saying that Chisa might do the same thing Junko did on DR1. Killing her twin sister and become the mastermind XD

I will laugh a lot if this happens.

Jan 2016
I can already feel the despair thanks to the choppy funimation video release

This future arc takes place after the events of Danganronpa 2.

We see some of them wrecking stuff as the UD, and then we're introduced to "an island that doesn't exist on any map" and the following new characters:
The Future Foundation's chair, and former director of Hope's Peak High School, Kazuo Tenga
Former Super High School-Level Wrestler, Great Gozu
Former Hope's Peak High School Scout, Kohichi Kizakura
Former Super High School-Level Therapist, Miaya Gekkogahara
Former Super High School-Level Pharmacist, Seiko Kimura
Former Super High School-Level Boxer, Juzo Sakakura
Former Super High School-Level Confectioner, Ruruka Andoh
Former Super High School-Level Farmer, Daisaku Bandai
Former Super High School-Level Blacksmith, Sohnosuke Izayoi
Former Super High School-Level Housekeeper, Chisa Yukizome
Former Super High School-Level Student Council President, Kyosyke Munakata
Former Super High School-Level Animator Ryota Mitarai

The Ultimate Despairs line-up is awesome.

We're also reintroduced to following:
Former Super High School-Level Swimmer, Aoi Asahina
Former Super High School-Level Hope, Makoto Naegi
Former Super High School-Level Detective, Kyoko Kirigiri
Former Super High School-Level Fortune Teller, Yasuhiro Hagakure

This guy does NOT have the voice I imagined him to have

The Ultimate Boxer is more like the Ultimate rage-kun. What a dick! Love the Ultimate Wrestler. Ah I missed you Mikan and Aoi

Then things start to go down. I can't wait to feel more despair!

FragOutFireJul 13, 2016 9:18 PM
Jul 11, 2016 10:35 AM

Jun 2015
FINALLY! Kind of a bummer I discovered Danganronpa in March, so I didn't even finish the first game yet, let alone the second one. But whatever, I don't mind experiencing the story in the anime first, since that's how it went for me the first season anyway.

Monokuma's ears and eyes are so little and his head is gigantic 0.0 What's up with that?

When I first saw Yukizome I thought she was Chihiro lmao. Shame she died, she was waifu material...That's Danganronpa for ya! XD

I hope the baby-voiced black Luffy doesn't die...

The OP and ED are okay...Kinda wanted Soraru to sing the ED though XD

I love Danganronpa so it's a 10 for now, but if it disappoints (or if characters from Danganronpa 1 die) ima lower that score.

P.S. I was so hyped for this I got a Monokuma plushie, so I sat him on a toilet paper roll on my desk and he was watching it with me
ShadowMonkeyJul 12, 2016 3:33 AM
Jul 11, 2016 10:40 AM

Jan 2016

Ah I missed you Mikan. You're the Ultimate Waifu
Jul 11, 2016 10:41 AM

Mar 2013
Damn, that was awesome. It feels like a genuine continuation from Danganronpa 1 and 2. Nothing half assed. So now I can't wait to see it all and how the trilogy ends.

And yea if anyone here hasn't played Danganronpa 2 yet for some reason - do it.

FragOutFire said:
Ah I missed you Mikan. You're the Ultimate Waifu

Yea, short but sweet scene of her. I like it.
Jul 11, 2016 10:42 AM
May 2016
Kodaka, that sick dastard. Throwing my (and I believe a lot of other fans') theory out of the window of Yukizome as the mastermind. But much like a dog, I won't stop loving him.
Jul 11, 2016 10:47 AM
Dec 2010
Eh, I guess Hagakure is part of the game then, if the OP said 16 survivors left it has to include him.

Anyone catch the Another Episode kids (save one) in the foreground of Komaeda's scene?
Jul 11, 2016 10:48 AM

May 2016
So...Nobody is going to comment on this?

HyperLJul 11, 2016 10:59 AM
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Mirai-hen Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 5, 2016

473 by Nanashi »»
Jan 3, 8:01 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Mirai-hen Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 22, 2016

236 by Salty_Cookie »»
Jan 2, 3:12 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Mirai-hen Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 1, 2016

285 by Nanashi »»
Dec 17, 2023 7:37 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Mirai-hen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 25, 2016

281 by Nanashi »»
Dec 12, 2023 9:46 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Mirai-hen Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 18, 2016

499 by Nanashi »»
Dec 10, 2023 8:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.