Forum Settings
Forums
New
Which do you prefer?
Only subs - original audio is best.
45.9%
Mostly subbed, some dubbed.
29.7%
Only dubbed - I like it in my native language.
2.3%
Mostly dubbed, some subbed.
8.0%
Both subbed and dubbed equally.
11.5%
Raw.
2.6%
2,442 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (63) « First ... « 51 52 [53] 54 55 » ... Last »
Oct 24, 2010 11:23 PM

Nov 2008
Kusaragi said:
The U.K. adultswim aired Air Gear (Uncut), Black Cat, and lots of more titles compared to the U.S. program, and no U.K. actually had the Funi One Piece dub about 1 month more than when it was axed of US airing.

Seriously?
Oct 25, 2010 12:43 AM

Oct 2010
Subs. Dubs would be great if the voice actors did a better job. To me they all sound the same.
Oct 25, 2010 4:13 PM

Jul 2009
Kusaragi said:

Your forgetting another detail. The U.K. adultswim aired Air Gear (Uncut), Black Cat, and lots of more titles compared to the U.S. program, and no U.K. actually had the Funi One Piece dub about 1 month more than when it was axed of US airing.

There is no UK adultswim? Never has been as far as I know.
Where did you hear/see this?
The UK has nothing and I can almost gaurentee, the stuff you stated havent been on TV.
Bravo screened a single Aftro Samurai movie some time back, yet that's it; animen hasn't been addressed since.

Oct 26, 2010 6:54 AM

Sep 2010
subs!!! (wtf?)
Oct 26, 2010 12:49 PM

Sep 2009
Queen_Stars said:

There is no UK adultswim? Never has been as far as I know.
Where did you hear/see this?
The UK has nothing and I can almost gaurentee, the stuff you stated havent been on TV.
Bravo screened a single Aftro Samurai movie some time back, yet that's it; animen hasn't been addressed since.

There isn't anymore, there used to be though. It was on Bravo.

Whether it had any anime on it not though, is another question altogether.

Only anime I know of that has aired on UK TV aside from kids shows, in recent years, is GitS: SAC.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Oct 26, 2010 3:43 PM

Jun 2010
Queen_Stars said:
@ negativedemyx
Love your third party face palm. ;)

Redfoxoffire said:
Queen_Stars said:
Dubs seem to be getting worst as time goes by.
Watch a 90s anime, the dub is OK, yet now they seem to be increasingly silly and consist of the same few voices.

Most people would say the opposite.

Has anybody heared the Fairy Tail dub; disgusting, I though it was a joke... :P

Animax Asia dub. Read.

People are bound to think the oposite, just as people will think the same.
I actually though some of the earlier dubs were OK, those, and the low profile companies, such as thoses who did Rurouni Kenshin.

It doesn't really matter where the company come from, aslong as they do a mediocre english dub, I'll complain.:P
Listen to the French company who did the UK DBZ movie dubs; the worst I have ever heared.

@ QueenStars:OWWWWWWWWWWWWW MY EARS...CAN'T DEAL WITH THIS FAIL!!!!

DRAGONBALL Z GOD DAMN IT D......B......Z!!!!!!!.....INFINITY FAIL!!!
Oct 26, 2010 5:12 PM

Oct 2010
It would have to be subbed, but if it was something i saw when i was little little it would be dubbed cuz switching voices just feels wierd you know?
Oct 29, 2010 10:46 AM

Jun 2010
Personally most of all the dubs I've seen are pathetic and I grew up with dubs..............
damn we need better voice actors or better yet assign the RIGHT actors to the RIGHT characters DAMN IT!!!
Dreadnaught_500Oct 29, 2010 10:51 AM
Oct 29, 2010 1:19 PM
Sep 2008
Although there are always exceptions, I tend to prefer subs for shows with a Japanese/Asian setting and dubs for shows with a western setting.
Oct 29, 2010 2:04 PM

Jul 2009
Subbed seems to be the safest bet, unless you want to be violated in your ears by some of the horrible English VA's they find.
Oct 30, 2010 2:57 PM
Oct 2010
Subbed but when I was new to anime I didn't mind watching dubbed ones.
Oct 31, 2010 12:52 PM

Jun 2007
Redfoxoffire said:
Queen_Stars said:
When I did finally find anime online some years back (when a lot of the streaming sites didn't exist), uploads were only ever TV - PC rips, even up to a year ago, every dub I watched was from an American TV station, which censored it's content.

I have no idea where you found this. I'd have a hard time finding any censored anime online these days. At least more censored than some Japanese airings already are.
I'm with Redfox on this -- dual-audio .ogm/.mkv DVD-rips of uncut DVDs have been around since late 2002 or so. Either you were looking in the wrong places, or you were downloading shows like Yugioh and Pokemon.
Oct 31, 2010 5:28 PM

Jun 2010
Zalis said:
Redfoxoffire said:
Queen_Stars said:
When I did finally find anime online some years back (when a lot of the streaming sites didn't exist), uploads were only ever TV - PC rips, even up to a year ago, every dub I watched was from an American TV station, which censored it's content.

I have no idea where you found this. I'd have a hard time finding any censored anime online these days. At least more censored than some Japanese airings already are.
I'm with Redfox on this -- dual-audio .ogm/.mkv DVD-rips of uncut DVDs have been around since late 2002 or so. Either you were looking in the wrong places, or you were downloading shows like Yugioh and Pokemon.

Definitely pokemon dude! XD
Nov 1, 2010 9:16 PM
Sep 2010
Sadly I can't say on how bad dubs are in the UK I remember back in the the original anime series america got dragonball z, sailormoon and other shows were pretty censored, pokemon was slightly edited and episodes were cut and it took us a good long time until anime was more uncensored and readily available.

While dubs in UK might be bad I know there are sites like Crunchyroll that offer uncensored subs which while not in english atleast avoids cut or dropped episodes.
Nov 1, 2010 9:25 PM

Jul 2009
Haven't we just finished talking about how anime nowadays is largely uncensored and uncut?
Nov 1, 2010 9:30 PM

Feb 2010
ARXLaevatein said:
Haven't we just finished talking about how anime nowadays is largely uncensored and uncut?

You should know that this thread is, in fact, a circle.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 1, 2010 9:36 PM

Jul 2009
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
ARXLaevatein said:

You should know that this thread is, in fact, a circle.

Indeed, looks like I've overestimated this thread.
Nov 3, 2010 9:06 AM

Jun 2007
Dubs are at least equal to subs these days, thanks to the existence of Funimation. The only dubs by them that have bothered me are Claymore and Mermaid's; both times because Raki's VA hurts my ears. Anything and everything without him in is excellent - the talent pool Funi select from being amazing.

Just go listen to Bailey play Lust in FMA and then listen to her play Sana:

No matter what the Wapanese think, listening to such quality acting in your native tongue, with witty re-writes, is vastly superior to looking at the bottom of the screen. You can read a damn book if reading is what you so desire.

PS: Funi are extra awesome 'cause JYB's never-changing voice only appears on their re-licensed titles.
Nov 3, 2010 9:47 AM
Aug 2009
Well Done Dub>>>>>>>Well Done Sub
Average Sub>>>>>>>>Average Sub
Nov 3, 2010 11:42 AM

Aug 2010
Subs... Defenitely subs..
Americans, Germans, The Dutch, Italians and Spanish ppl all SUCK at dubbing compared to Japanese pplz.
Nov 3, 2010 11:50 AM

Feb 2009
Emiko_Chan said:
Subs... Defenitely subs..
Americans, Germans, The Dutch, Italians and Spanish ppl all SUCK at dubbing compared to Japanese pplz.

So you speak Japanese?
Nov 3, 2010 11:53 AM
Oct 2010
99.5% subbed.

DB/Z was so much better dubbed, Goku sounded a bit strange normally, I also watched Yu Yu Kakusho dubbed as well.
Nov 3, 2010 2:01 PM

Feb 2010
Bloodraiyneman said:
Well Done Dub>>>>>>>Well Done Sub
Average Sub>>>>>>>>Average Sub

That makes sense ^^.

Anyway the two people above me (Kipcha doesn't count) are great examples for the stereotypes of this thread

a) the hater whose opinion is just biased and whose arguments cannot convince anyone besides himself and other haters.
b) the guy who prefers dubbed for series he first saw dubbed (maybe as a kid too) but still is convinced ihis criteria is not what version you see first but quality.

Now figure out who is who.

There are actually good german dubs, though they are few. Ghost in the Shell, Wolf's Rain, Ranma 1/2, Lupin III, Cowboy Bebop. There are probably more but I avoid watching german dubs because I prefer the english language in movies/series/comics ^^.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 3, 2010 3:01 PM

Jun 2008
AironicallyHuman said:
Dubs are at least equal to subs these days, thanks to the existence of Funimation. The only dubs by them that have bothered me are Claymore and Mermaid's; both times because Raki's VA hurts my ears.

Yeah, Todd Haberkorn is pretty hit-or-miss for me. I agree that he wasn't good in Claymore and some others I've heard him in, though I do think he's had a few good parts, like Itsuki in Shuffle!, Death the Kid in Soul Eater, and that alien guy in Kenichi.
Nov 3, 2010 3:37 PM
Aug 2010
sub all the way.
When you're miserable, you need to make someone even more miserable than yourself. - Lucy
Nov 3, 2010 5:06 PM

Oct 2010
I prefer subs. I really don't like to watch dubbed anime. Though I do it sometimes. One of the first animes I watched was Neon Genesis and that was the dubbed version. And since I got familiar with the voices and stuff I fidn it not to bad. But the I like the japanese voices too so I have a hard time when I'm too choose sub or dub when I'm to watch it.

Also since I could not get a hold of a subbed version of slayers I had to watch the dubbed one. Though I don't think the dub of slayers is very good.

And I am also more used to subs since movies and stuff never gets dubbed in sweden. There are always subtitles. Unless it's for children of course.
Nov 3, 2010 5:47 PM

Aug 2010
I only watch subbed unless the dub is superior than the subs, but that is quite a rarity. Most English voice actors/actresses are terrible.
Nov 3, 2010 5:52 PM

Jun 2007
Redfoxoffire said:
AironicallyHuman said:
Dubs are at least equal to subs these days, thanks to the existence of Funimation. The only dubs by them that have bothered me are Claymore and Mermaid's; both times because Raki's VA hurts my ears.

Yeah, Todd Haberkorn is pretty hit-or-miss for me. I agree that he wasn't good in Claymore and some others I've heard him in, though I do think he's had a few good parts, like Itsuki in Shuffle!, Death the Kid in Soul Eater, and that alien guy in Kenichi.

I'm in the process of watching Kenichi right now, as chance would have it, and I had no idea the alien guy's (forgot his name, like you...) VA was Raki's ever annoying voice. It just goes to show how a different role can easily lead to a totally different opinion because he fits his Kenichi role like a glove. He's supposed to be an annoying and somewhat evil character, and since he isn't a whiny/important character I've had no problem with his voice.

Semi-related note: Apachai's "A-pa-pap!" guy is awesome.

This thread should just be closed, btw. Everyone ignores everyone else and MAL is full of ignorant penises who've never even listened to more than a few (at most) dubs - probably ancient ones, at that - yet feel entitled to share the following: 'Japan is the bestest, desu!'

I wish I had the power to ban every - as yanks would put it - douche on this God-forsaken forum. It'd be far more lonesome but SO much more appealing with some good old fashioned cleaning.
Nov 3, 2010 6:01 PM

Jul 2009
AironicallyHuman said:
This thread should just be closed, btw. Everyone ignores everyone else and MAL is full of ignorant penises who've never even listened to more than a few (at most) dubs - probably ancient ones, at that - yet feel entitled to share the following: 'Japan is the bestest, desu!'

I wish I had the power to ban every - as yanks would put it - douche on this God-forsaken forum. It'd be far more lonesome but SO much more appealing with some good old fashioned cleaning.

Aww, but we wouldn't get some really lulzy posts every once in a while.
Nov 3, 2010 6:02 PM

Jun 2009
I think it really depends on what you think sounds better, I personally like subbed more than dubbed, but there are some pretty epic dubbed anime out there like Cowboy Bebop which sound better dubbed than subbed.
Not Found (aka 404)

You're looking for something that does not, has not, will not, or must not exist ...

... but you're always welcome to search for it.
Nov 3, 2010 6:16 PM

Jun 2010
@ ARXLaevatein: Random question.....what anime is your mecha avatar from dude just wanted to ask! XD
Nov 3, 2010 6:25 PM

Jun 2007
Eirikz said:
I think it really depends on what you think sounds better, I personally like subbed more than dubbed, but there are some pretty epic dubbed anime out there like Cowboy Bebop which sound better dubbed than subbed.

It's down to imprinting. If you start to link the Japanese voices with the characters and like them, then it'd be weird to switch over to different, English voices. But if you start with English voices to begin with, then the reverse is true. Many people in this thread seem unable to grasp this most simple of concepts and assume different = bad... if they even bother listening to dubs at all.

These days, when buying Funi's releases, I ALWAYS start with the dub; only switching over if I feel the voices don't fit. And that's a rarity.
Nov 3, 2010 8:38 PM

Jun 2008
AironicallyHuman said:
It's down to imprinting. If you start to link the Japanese voices with the characters and like them, then it'd be weird to switch over to different, English voices. But if you start with English voices to begin with, then the reverse is true. Many people in this thread seem unable to grasp this most simple of concepts and assume different = bad... if they even bother listening to dubs at all.

These days, when buying Funi's releases, I ALWAYS start with the dub; only switching over if I feel the voices don't fit. And that's a rarity.

Exactly. I've been re-watching Canaan dubbed and at first it was pretty hard because I just wasn't used to the characters having those voices, but after getting into it a bit many of the voices seem quite fitting.
Nov 15, 2010 10:04 PM

Aug 2010
AironicallyHuman said:
Eirikz said:

Your right, but I love the screams that they do when they get mad or get super powerful you know ? And I am used to hearing it in Japanese, so if it were in english I would feel a bit different.

Nov 16, 2010 12:05 AM

Jul 2010
Sub wins by a mile =]
I hate dubs. they scar you for life. the voices they choose are really crappy and it dosent suit the character ><"
ALTHOUGH.. on RARE RARE RARE!! occasions a dub is equivalently good as a raw.
i think they did a good job on one piece. except for the fact they changed sanji's cigarette into a lollipop.
>(
music is my life~
feel the beat;
listen; and go with it <3
Nov 16, 2010 1:23 AM

Nov 2010
SUBS! original voices are smeeexeehhh

Nov 16, 2010 1:26 AM
Jun 2008
die topic DIEEE!!!
Nov 16, 2010 2:10 AM
May 2010
I'll admit, having to read dialogues instead of listen to them could almost get as annoying as the survivability of this thread.

I guess it's an orientation thing. I'm an Asian, so listening to Japanese voices rather than American ones definitely bring more familiarity and comfort. And of course, since anime did originate from Japan, it would only make sense that the anime would be presented much accurately to the way the creators had intended - unless the creators created the anime with dubbing it in mind, but unable to do so due to certain circumstances.

True, someone once pointed out that 'reading subs' was not intended by many creators of anime, but I feel that having the Japanese voices suddenly turned English or American is a bigger alteration than taking your focus away from the screen to read the subs.
Nov 16, 2010 3:26 AM

Jun 2008
Caitlinism said:
Sub wins by a mile =]
I hate dubs. they scar you for life. the voices they choose are really crappy and it dosent suit the character ><"
ALTHOUGH.. on RARE RARE RARE!! occasions a dub is equivalently good as a raw.
i think they did a good job on one piece. except for the fact they changed sanji's cigarette into a lollipop.
>(

Wait, you're saying you think the 4kids dub of One Piece is good but (practically) all others "scar you for life and have really crappy voices?"

What is this I don't even
Nov 16, 2010 5:06 AM

Oct 2010
I rather subs than dubs except for certain anime. I haven't watched a dubbed version of an anime then a subbed version. I don't mind the DBZ dub since i grew up with it so i like it more, i heard Goku's voice in a subbed version and it was uhh... speechless.
I also like the Inuyasha dub since i got used to it as well and haven't heard the jap version. I say you either get used to it or not.
Nov 16, 2010 7:08 AM

Oct 2007
MorningGlory said:
die topic DIEEE!!!

I KNOW RIGHT. ;_;
You can find me on IRC.
Nov 16, 2010 7:18 AM

Nov 2010
Only Subs. I watched a dubbed video once and I ended up didn't understand what it says. Come on, IMO it's better the original voices. :S

Nov 16, 2010 8:30 AM
Feb 2010
a_nobodyXIII said:
Only Subs. I watched a dubbed video once and I ended up didn't understand what it says. Come on, IMO it's better the original voices. :S

Uhhhhhh...
Nov 16, 2010 9:29 AM

Nov 2010
Definitely subbed, dubbed audio is same as a fine Belgium chocolate wrapped in toilet paper ;p
Nov 16, 2010 10:34 AM

Oct 2009
Will this thread ever die?
Nov 16, 2010 12:21 PM

Jun 2008
supersonic124 said:

Not as long as there's still someone who wants to talk about it, since any new threads that pop up get merged with this one.
Nov 16, 2010 12:34 PM

May 2010
depends on the voice actors,sometimes you get an anime with a squeky sounding characters so i watch the dub.

examples of good dubbed animes are:
Code Geass.
Bleach.
FMA.
Nov 17, 2010 2:42 PM

Jan 2009
sub always.

the problem with dub is:

1) Japan's language is way more melodic than English therefore when an English dub over it with really high pitch voice, it just dont sound right

2) If the English voice actor dont attempt to put a high pitch voice on, everyone will be like "OMG, its nothing like the orginal"

therefore, English dub will never really work =/ (not work for me anyway)
Nov 17, 2010 3:54 PM
Jul 2018
Redfoxoffire said:
supersonic124 said:

Not as long as there's still someone who wants to talk about it, since any new threads that pop up get merged with this one.

damn weeaboos
makeing anime worse
hell there only worse kind of anime fans are eleitists
Nov 17, 2010 4:08 PM

Aug 2010
im half and half, i like the subs but i gotta watch my dubs
:)
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (63) « First ... « 51 52 [53] 54 55 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Upcoming anime which might touch No.1 ranking on MAL (Prediction)

ZXEAN - Mar 27

47 by ZWS-Balance »»
2 minutes ago

» J. Michael Tatum Appreciation Thread

APolygons2 - 9 hours ago

13 by APolygons2 »»
7 minutes ago

» Best OG waifu (before year 2000) šŸ˜» ( 1 2 )

flowstate - Apr 16, 2020

55 by MasterTasuke »»
11 minutes ago

» What are some anime memes from the late 2000's to early 2010's that you still remeber fondly ?

tchitchouan - 2 hours ago

2 by ZeroMajor12 »»
18 minutes ago

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 2

86 by Pokitaru »»
20 minutes ago
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.