Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Mar 31, 2014 11:57 AM

Apr 2012
ryuqq said:
Zeally said:
5/10

Thought this series had much potential but everything fell flat. The overview of the world is not explained well enough, characters are severely underdeveloped, the romances felt completely hallow, etc. The Ari-Ramen episode was such a waste of time for a series this short. I didn't mind the open ending, and I got to see the Santa Cruz one last time. I felt bad for Ari because she loves Kal.

Was that blue plane a reference to Charles' Karino's plane from the Princess and the Pilot?

yes

Mar 31, 2014 12:02 PM

Jun 2011
So where does Ari's unrequited love leads to? Ari's character development? No, it was all for a poetic sentence lol. Didn't like how Ari treats Kal. Open ending is fine, I guess, I don't care enough to actually want to see the rescue itself. I liked how Kal grew taller, that was a good touch.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 31, 2014 12:02 PM
Mar 2014
Zeally said:
ryuqq said:
Zeally said:
5/10

Thought this series had much potential but everything fell flat. The overview of the world is not explained well enough, characters are severely underdeveloped, the romances felt completely hallow, etc. The Ari-Ramen episode was such a waste of time for a series this short. I didn't mind the open ending, and I got to see the Santa Cruz one last time. I felt bad for Ari because she loves Kal.

Was that blue plane a reference to Charles' Karino's plane from the Princess and the Pilot?

yes

How amazing would it be that they release a second season and we actually see him and see what he is up to? And ask why the hell he never went back to the princess? Is he mentioned in this arc of the light novels? And this current arc of the light novels a continuation of the story?

srry for asking so many questions! XD
Mar 31, 2014 12:22 PM
May 2011
In my mind: Kal dies.
THE END.
BOOM, NO MORE QUESTIONS.
Mar 31, 2014 12:29 PM

May 2010
mediocre from beginning to the "end" . such a massive amount of buildup and then poof..nothing. this is not how you hype people for second season! many have said it already and i want to say it again cause this show screams WASTED POTENTIAL !!!!

a really generous 5/10
Mar 31, 2014 12:30 PM

Jan 2014
billybob300c said:
1. Man, ari got hawt. i mean hawt. She didn't get enough show time

2. If a treaty is made with the sky clan, why are they still fighting each other? The whole 'ramming the island against the wall' still confuses me. I'm guessing it's just to test the wall itself...

3. If those predictable death flags were taken out in the middle of the series, I would've enjoyed this anime much better. I guess u gotta watch some bad series to really enjoy the good ones.

4. man, screw u ppl with happy endings. those endings are boring, predictable, cheesy & cliche. anything but happy endings is a good end for me. tragic would even be better cuz it stains ur mind forever.

Overall series rating: 4/10

Everytime I read your post all I see is someone crying like a baby that its not a tragic ending.
Go rewatch school days for your lovely tragic end, some of us like happy endings.. not even just some the MAJORITY of us like happy ends.

You're just another one of these guys that annoy me. "the ending sucks 4/10". Carrying down a rating because the ending to you is not satisfactory. Enjoying the show a bit more giving it atleast a 6/10 (which seems to be you're favourite score even on amazing shows you treat them like s*** because no school days like ending) then because you see an ending that is happy you're dropping the points.

The ending was fine... I would understan if the entire show was a trainwreck but jeesh.. I really do wonder why some of you even watch anime when you seem to not enjoy most of them anyway.
Watch Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, you wont be disappointed. http://q.pokefarm.org/user/Uran10
Check out My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEz0PrV3Vh-ksW0mzOWnnSQ

Mar 31, 2014 12:31 PM

Apr 2012
ryuqq said:
Zeally said:
ryuqq said:
Zeally said:
5/10

yes

How amazing would it be that they release a second season and we actually see him and see what he is up to? And ask why the hell he never went back to the princess? Is he mentioned in this arc of the light novels? And this current arc of the light novels a continuation of the story?

srry for asking so many questions! XD

I have no idea. I didn't read the light novels at all. If that is him on the Santa Cruz ( which is implied but not confirmed) then it means he serving under Fanna's military.

Mar 31, 2014 12:34 PM
Mar 2014
Zeally said:
I have no idea. I didn't read the light novels at all. If that is him on the Santa Cruz ( which is implied but not confirmed) then it means he is in the military that Fanna commands.

Which wouldn't be a surprise considering her caring and helpful personnality... do you know the actual time line for the movie and the series?
Mar 31, 2014 12:37 PM

Jan 2011
Ending didn't bother me as much as it did so many other people. It was just sad seeing Ari all heart broken at first. Big episode, future leap, lot of content. The series as a whole was wishing washy. Good ep, bad ep, good ep, bad ep. 6/10
Mar 31, 2014 12:57 PM

Oct 2011
T_____T Open Ended.
Mar 31, 2014 1:14 PM

Sep 2011
Better than Hamatora and Buddy Complex, but I'll still go with a 6/10 because that open ending and mediocre episodes in the middle; Even though I should rate them all a 5ish range. Opening endings aren't my liking but oh well.
Mar 31, 2014 1:23 PM

Jan 2014
Open but not a bad ending... There were some sweet moments and some good memories, in the end, I really enjoyed the series, the characters, the arial battles and the romance. 8/10

Hope to see an OVA where Kal retrieves Claire or a second season ^^
Mar 31, 2014 1:23 PM
Feb 2013
A cliffhanger ending, sooo bitter sweet.
Mar 31, 2014 1:27 PM

Jul 2010
Ari is too nice for her own good... so she is an engineer now. She is strong but she still cried...
The love songs...
I liked the speech and him seeing his family.
Kal will surely reach Claire!
FatefulLoveMar 31, 2014 9:27 PM
Mar 31, 2014 1:42 PM

Apr 2012
ryuqq said:
Zeally said:
I have no idea. I didn't read the light novels at all. If that is him on the Santa Cruz ( which is implied but not confirmed) then it means he is in the military that Fanna commands.

Which wouldn't be a surprise considering her caring and helpful personnality... do you know the actual time line for the movie and the series?

The movie comes first then the series. Not sure how long the time gap is between the two though.

Mar 31, 2014 1:46 PM
Mar 2014
Zeally said:
ryuqq said:
Zeally said:

The movie comes first then the series. Not sure how long the time gap is between the two though.

Ok thx a lot!
Mar 31, 2014 1:51 PM

Apr 2013
7godeohs said:
Kyuutoryuu said:
>Publically says "I love Claire Cruz"
>No Claire Cruz to be seen all episode

Damn I got trolled.

That's not accurate, we did get to see the back of her head for about 3 seconds.

Now your trolling comment is spot on.

The sad part is that in just this one episode I felt that Ari became a more compelling love interest than Claire - or at least more interesting to be sure.

It feels like they just jammed a massive amount of content in to this episode. We had the following:

- dramatic reveal
- dramatic speech
- public proclamation of love
- a call to arms
- future plans for teachers
- double agent
- tearful reunion
- tearful separation with dramatic parting shot
- character epilogues
- air battle
- end (but no real ending IMO)

Not terrible overall, but my general rating for an anime is after everything is said and done, was watching it from beginning to end worth my time. Unfortunately after the last couple episodes my answer would be no.

Wow you sure summed up everything I wanted to say >.<

I had high expectations at first for the series. The title of the series got me interested and the setting was very interesting...

But... it ended in disappointment

Oh and I officially became an Ariel fan after this episode
duderusMar 31, 2014 2:11 PM

Mar 31, 2014 2:00 PM

Aug 2012
I think i'm the one giving the highest rating here ... 8/10 and hey! i'm a Clair Cruz fan.
Mar 31, 2014 2:04 PM
Apr 2013
I enjoyed this enough to be interested in a sequel, but if this is all there is ever going to be then I rate it 6.5/10. Regardless of if there will be a second-half to this story, to me the story they already told seemed to be of too grand a scale for a condensed 13 episode series. I would have enjoyed this series more if it had been longer in order to dedicate more time to establishing the world and the conflicting groups within it, while also allowing for increased development of secondary characters.

I will say that I think they did a great job with the main characters of Kal and Claire, seeing them interact was my main motivator to continue watching. So alternatively to what I stated above, I believe I would also have enjoyed it more if they had put the big picture conflict and secondary characters further to the background and told an even more focused story revolved around Kal and Claire.
Mar 31, 2014 2:38 PM

Jul 2013
So that's it? I don't know but personally I'm pissed... >.< They left Ari just like that...? I even cried (though I didn't want to), when she said that comment about some love songs that can't be sang... I was even angry at Claire and Kal that they got a good ending just for themselves. I got it that they love each other and it's fine, it's good that Ari was able to accept it also. But it's like they simply don't care -.- Kal will be singing his love song while Ari will be crying? xD I'll only accept this when they'll make an OVA where Kal brings back both Claire and Ingacio and you know what scenario I'm thinking about xD That's all.

And about this anime as a whole, I guess I enjoyed it. I even didn't think I'd enjoy it as much and didn't think I would cry. Of course there were boring moments, other scenes on the other hand could have a stronger impact if gotten more screen time and Kal didn't get to know about Ignacio being his brother (and I was waiting for it...). This is exactly why I'd love to see an OVA. But I guess only in my dreams :P So to sum it up, it was enjoyable, but there was also an unexploited potential, so... well, I gave it 7/10.
YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT
SEE YOU, SPACE COWBOY...
Mar 31, 2014 2:52 PM

Oct 2009
This is one of the most corny episode I've seen in a long time. Also, whoever rates this above a 6 needs to learn how the rating system works. At episode 12, I had this at a 6 (Even though after watching it, I wanted to move it down to a 5) but with episode 13, I think it deserves a 5. As many have said, wasted potential.
ToilgameshMar 31, 2014 4:12 PM
Mar 31, 2014 3:00 PM

Jan 2010
I don't understand why many of you detest the open ending.

I think endings like this are kind of original, because we saw a melodramatic epilogue, but we had a glimpse of what follows after that.

Thanks to this ending we could always imagine what could happen next and that's great for fan fics.
Mar 31, 2014 3:28 PM

Sep 2013
I like the ending. Hopefully they make a second season but i doubt it. Also, if they do make a 2nd season, they need to make the music background of the dog fights more serious. When mitchy and wolfgang and the other blond guy died, the music was more fit for tom and jerry than in this anime.

So does anyone know what's up with the short lady, is she a spy for the sky clan or who?
There's no magical spell to save someone's life.
Mar 31, 2014 3:33 PM

Jan 2008
Not bad for an ending expecting a continuation. If it doesn't get one though, it is shit.

Still don't know who the seagull blue fighter is, how far the political relationship with Levamme goes (or who runs it), who the silver fox is (although I assume he's similar to the real-life Red Baron), who else must die until (whether or not) Kal manages to reunite with, and rescue Claire from the clutches of the barbaric, yet technologically advanced Sky Clan...and finally what's the deal was with the Dorm Lady acting as a spy for the likely enemy!? (well, it might have been their ally Levamme too)

Speaking of the Dorm Lady, the photo she took was also crap. The people in the back were totally not in the picture by being covered!

Shit, I don't see why Claire doesn't flaunt her powers, and start taking names, now that she has her powers back. She could easily pacify the Sky Clan with force, threats, or even simple defiance: "No wind making today unless I get to see my boyfriend".
Estoy_GordoMar 31, 2014 3:40 PM
Mar 31, 2014 4:28 PM
Mar 2014
I quite like the ending considering I was told that it followed the LN's ending rather closely.

If you have or seen untranslated Toaru Hikuushi e no Seiyaku light novels, one of other spin-offs, you would come across a great surprise as one of the pictures show...

Warning, it contains potential spoiler about the series...
PhantomVXMar 31, 2014 4:32 PM
Mar 31, 2014 5:03 PM

Jan 2012
I don't know what people are crying about. The Ending was Fantastic! Its Unique and unexpected. I caught bare feelings on that last episode. Most of you just got used to happy endings, but this one you need to feel and connect to understand whats going to happen! Props to this, an amazing ending!
Mar 31, 2014 5:19 PM

Mar 2012
Good ending. The only thing I dislike about this series is how sloppy the art is. It's like they're barely even trying. But everything else was pretty superb. The soundtrack is beautifully done. The relationships among all the characters have been pretty endearing. It's honestly quite sad that Ari's love will go unrequited, but at least we know Karl will end up with Claire. A befitting end to the title of the series. And save perhaps 1 episode or 2, I thoroughly enjoyed this series.

Part of me feels like there may be a sequel. It seems like they deliberately left loose ends with the dorm supervisor and conversations about politics -- why leave them in if none of this will be explored? Regardless, this series is fine on its own and it won't hurt even if no sequel comes out.
Mar 31, 2014 5:32 PM
Jul 2018
Ari looked good with her hair down. Kal did a very good public speech and I liked how he told the public he loved Nina instead saying Claire.
Mar 31, 2014 6:02 PM

Oct 2010
Kodomo_R said:
I don't understand why many of you detest the open ending.

I think endings like this are kind of original, because we saw a melodramatic epilogue, but we had a glimpse of what follows after that.

Thanks to this ending we could always imagine what could happen next and that's great for fan fics.

Well they wanted a kissing ending. I wanted a tragedy.
Mar 31, 2014 6:04 PM

Jul 2012
This series was very touching in the end.

I really hope that Karl was able to reclaim his lover.

Great series!!!
Mar 31, 2014 6:47 PM

Jul 2010
Is Charles the Blue Seagull pilot? Cause he's the only one who could fit the description.

I want to see Fana too. :|
Mar 31, 2014 6:49 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Nice episode but unsatisfactory ending..

Kal's speech was impressive.
That quiet lady.. I've always suspected her..

Family reunion was pretty nice.
Loved Kal and Ari's dad's conversation. :)

I wished for Ari to eventually fall in love with Ignacio..
Still, I feel bad for her because Kal probably doesn't/won't see her the same way..

Poor Chiharu.. Those Mitsuo feels..
Sharon and Benjamin makes their ways.
"I want to be your right arm." -- How nice of Sharon. XD

Nice to see Kal being a total badass!
That Blue Seagull again. Made Kal look like an amateur though. XD

Did Claire and Kal actually conversate through her Wind power?
Still, nice going!

I'd like to see a second season or at least an OVA to make up for the loose ending.

Good show nonetheless. :)

Mar 31, 2014 7:05 PM
Mar 2014
redd530 said:
Is Charles the Blue Seagull pilot? Cause he's the only one who could fit the description.

I want to see Fana too. :|

Thats what I am hoping for because that would be an amazing tie in because both charles and karl are chasing after a girl who are the leaders of their country and have these huge responsibilities preventing them from doing anything...
Mar 31, 2014 7:49 PM

Apr 2010
Fuck open endings. That is all.
Mar 31, 2014 8:05 PM
Mar 2013
I cant believe how low people rate an anime just based on the ending. The series in general I liked it. I wish he killed claire on spot when he found out that she is nina viento but thats not berserk. The episode 13 itself felt meaningless it didnt feel like an ending to an anime. I get that it was supposed to be open ending but it could of been done better. I would rate the ep 13 as 5/10 it served its purpose but could of been the anime in overal 6/10 it was good had some great moments although its not really my cup of tea.
Putting claire aside I wish he found out about his brother....
Mar 31, 2014 8:12 PM

Sep 2013
dafuq kinda of ending was that? Dude seriously, so many romance anime adaptions and not a single one worthy of a good ending. Sheesh. 5/10
Mar 31, 2014 8:15 PM

Dec 2013
Since episode one I've considered this series my least favorite of the season, and it never once impressed me enough to change that opinion. About episode 7 or so, I began to have hopes that it might impress me as the ending grew nearer, but I was disappointed in how ridiculous they played things out.

That being said, I went into this episode with no hope whatsoever for a good ending. But, as it turns out, my least favorite series of this season has provided the most satisfactory ending of the season. This ending was handled fantastically.

The "plot" was wrapped up nicely, considering how stupid and ubelievable it was in the first place. Trying to pass it off as a religious or scientific discovery type thing doesn't save it from it's own idiocy. The plot made no sense, the characters who died died for nothing, and the romance was lopsided and backwards.

The surviving characters did get a good wrap up for their own individual parts of the story, which was nice to see. Loved how they finally grew up, it literally took the entire run of the series to see any development in their growth, but what we were given was nice. I hated Ari for most of this series, but I became a true fan of her by the end of this episode, and actually considered the idea that it might be ok if Karl had turned around right after take off and went back to her.

The ending may have been open, at least concerning his plan to retake Claire, but it did give the closure we needed for the stories that were started in episode 1.

So, despite the fact that this show ranged from terrible to bad, I gave it a 5/10 because the ending made sense, explained things, and provided closure, all while actually making me enjoy something I considered dropping after each and every episode.
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
Mar 31, 2014 9:16 PM

Apr 2013
Eh... for me this open ending is actually pretty good
A part of me feel unsatisfied but thought this might be for the best
I'm all in if there's a continuation though
The last 10 minutes was great
7.5/10
Mar 31, 2014 9:34 PM

Jul 2010
Ari's little monologue as Kal flies away was sweet as hell! It confirms what I'm sure we all suspected from the beginning: she is in tsundere love with her foster brother, but knows that it would be too creepy and, having grown to love Claire like a sister, she could never hurt her either. (My interpretation at least.)

Still, a bitter sweet moment for one of the better characters in the show.

As for the ending, I would hope for a continuation of the story in some form later on, but I don't know that we'll ever see it. It is patently obvious that Carl and Claire will be the founding couple of the next royal family, the show just leaves the i's undotted and the t's uncrossed.
Mar 31, 2014 9:37 PM
Dec 2013
If anybody has ever seen the movie Princess and the Pilot ( same author of the novels), you can tell that in the end where Kal-el is in his single seater prop plane there is another blue plane that comes in the scene for a few seconds. I think it's the Aires II from Princess and the Pilot and possible the MC from that movie.
Mar 31, 2014 10:36 PM

Sep 2013
The geography of their world is interesting.

So he's being open about their secret now.

"I love Nina Viento" The crowd absolutely loved that statement, best part is that it's true :D

The RA is a spy I wonder for who? The Sky Clan, their new allies, or someone else.

Awe Ari is staying behind :( But she looks great with her hair long and in that dress ;)

That punch :3

That moment with Chiharu made me tear up, Mitty RIP!

I thought the ending was good and would love a second season although by the sound of it that won't be happening :/
Mar 31, 2014 10:52 PM

May 2012
I think the open ending was good. Ari looks good with her long hair.

If you enjoyed this anime, then I recommend watching The Princess and the Pilot movie which is even better than this.
Mar 31, 2014 11:32 PM

Jul 2013
Wasted potential is all I can say. The story was definitely interesting but the execution and emotional moments were butchered by poor direction and pacing (which could have been avoided had this been a 20+ episodes series). The disparity between the students' planes and the enemy's was too ridiculous it's not even funny. It made you think "oh of course they'll die" instead of "oh shit he got shot!".

I'm not quite sure how to rate this show, it's either 5 or 6. The prospect of 2nd season is intriguing but all in all this anime is only good for a one-time viewing. Oh well.. 6/10 it is.
MoeGodMar 31, 2014 11:43 PM
Apr 1, 2014 1:12 AM
Mar 2014
I still don't know why Claire didn't take Kal as one of her 20 bodyguards...

Sadly too many things are just ridiculous for me to enjoy this ending. So yeah I agree wasted potential.
Apr 1, 2014 2:44 AM

Feb 2012
Best girl lost again, Ari ;_;
Apr 1, 2014 4:54 AM

Feb 2012
I really liked this show and I really wanted to like the ending... But forgetting about my feelings about the ending for a second, let's talk about the plot as a whole. This show had soooo much potential but definitely suffered from only being 1 cour. It needed to be at least 2 cours. It would then have been able to give us more detail from the books. If only I could read japanese :(

I'm giving it 8/10 despite disliking the ending and the show not living up to its potential.
Apr 1, 2014 5:08 AM

Aug 2013
Liked both the ending and the start, though unfortunately bad middle episodes are bad. 6.5/10 from me, wouldn't mind watching more of this.
Apr 1, 2014 5:26 AM

Oct 2013
Well for me Ari's storyline was fucked up,im tired of watching these one sided romances for the best girls.

This really needs a movie too ,just to give a nice conclusion.
Apr 1, 2014 5:48 AM

Dec 2008
What? Is that it? Why does this feel like some kind of build up to a second season? I blame this on poor writing. All of this could have been easily wrapped up in 1 season, but they just had to drag it out. *sigh*

6/10 which is sad, because at first, I was really feeling this show.

Sent with Mal Updater
Apr 1, 2014 5:59 AM

Dec 2013
Adult Ari is 2cute.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2014

111 by Alkimia »»
Feb 23, 10:38 AM

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2014

81 by Alkimia »»
Feb 22, 7:55 PM

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 27, 2014

189 by Alkimia »»
Feb 22, 2:03 PM

» Is it one big love triangle?

Gamewolf - Mar 23, 2014

12 by ZGUEGCHOV »»
Feb 25, 2022 1:23 AM

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2014

133 by Swizze »»
Jun 14, 2019 7:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.