Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 18, 2019 3:42 PM

Dec 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Saw the UK premiere of this at Scotland Loves Anime tonight
Oct 18, 2019 4:26 PM

Sep 2009
I was quite impressed. 3D was a great fit and made the monsters and setting even more unsettling. I liked the action as well as the three main characters. Good twists and range of emotions.

I saw BLAME! the year before and I think Polygon is improving.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
Oct 19, 2019 8:04 PM

Apr 2019
I was at the premiere too. Was really good.

I was the person that asked if the film was always intended to have a cyberpunk theme if you stayed for the Q&A.
Oct 22, 2019 7:54 PM
Phantom Thief

Jan 2012
Its really good
Sadly only 3 people are at my showing.
The music and asthetics are great and fit the theme or ningen shikkaku perfectly
A beautiful movie
Oct 22, 2019 9:17 PM
Nov 2013
Just saw it tonight I actually really enjoyed it. The music was really nice and I really liked the theme of the movie and their take on No Longer Human.
Oct 22, 2019 9:37 PM
Phantom Thief

Jan 2012
Im wondering how other people who read the novel and have seen the other adaptations will see this one.

I've seen the others and read the book a few times. It seemed like it just borrow elements from the main themes. I think it worked out pretty well. But I feel like others will says it's a untrue adaptation and be bothered by multiple aspects of it.
I kinda wish it didn't have the ningen shikkaku title and just human lost would've sufficed.
Oct 23, 2019 7:37 PM

Aug 2015
I can't write a review on the page for some reason (getting 400 bad request error), so I'll post it here.

I just got out of watching Human Lost, the English dub version. In my absent-mindedness, I bought a ticket and didn't realize that I was going to watch the dubbed version, so I missed out on HanaKana and Mamoru Miyano's glorious voices. I'll disregard that and share my thoughts on the film's high level themes without being too spoilery.

I think the crux of the film's message becomes most apparent in the third, final act. Having some awareness of contemporary Japanese social issues would increase one's enjoyment of the film, since the aging of Japanese society and the burden it places on the youth + their responsibility to the economy becomes very apparent by the end. It's not just a depiction of a bleak future that Japan's age structure and demographics portend, but a critique of the expectations on the young to support a socioeconomic system that the film portrays as inherently broken and unjust. In the early stage, transhumanism seems like one of the main themes of the film, but I believe it's less interested in critiquing technology's effect on the meaning of humanity, and more focused on how systems employ (or exploit) technology to serve those in power, or accomplish goals that devalue the human experience.

On a technical level, I feel like Polygon did an adequate job, especially with the final action set-pieces. Writing-wise, there were some stumbles/plot conveniences, which I felt were most noticeable in the 2nd act. I also think the world-building could have been more comprehensive. Overall, I enjoyed the film, though I would only cautiously recommend it to people. I would give it a B rating, but I can easily see people dismissing this film altogether.

Dec 12, 2019 4:06 AM
Mar 2012
Rage_Beat06 said:
Its really good
Sadly only 3 people are at my showing.
The music and asthetics are great and fit the theme or ningen shikkaku perfectly
A beautiful movie

Ours had more, but theatres here make very little effort to advertise anime or even animation in general.

The distopian scifi was cool if overwhelming at times. Feels 10-12 episodes of content got stuffed into 110 minutes with maxed out political social dialogue. It touched on too many themes worth their own series, but did manage to focus on the main Applicants while explaining the greater social unjust.
(Social class bridge for example is the entire Youkai Ningen Bem.)

PP has improved especially their shadow/shading and excellent effects since Sidonia times. Facials were bit non expressive but kinda bit the gritty mood. Large scale vfx at the end wasn't Hollywood level and bit weird when everyone could suddenly fly, but remained entertaining. The early fights & bikers had tight action cuts & great camerawork.
It felt a bit like watching in order Ajin, Sidonia then a Garo origin story, taking place in the PsychoPass universe.

I think it's perfectly watchable for non anime watchers. But the PsychoPass parallels helped me connect the pieces better.

A bit confused of the ending tho

Mar 19, 2020 6:40 PM

Apr 2012
"I was quite impressed."
"Was really good."
"Its really good"
"I actually really enjoyed it."

Score: 5.92

WAT?
May 21, 2020 12:46 PM

Jan 2012
Once again MAL has wrong genres. No to historical for sure, others are questionable. Action and sci-fi missing.

As for the movie, I gotta say it's pretty average. Props to Polygon Pictures for cool sci-fi story, but all in all plot was boring and seemed full of missed opportunities. 6/10
Jun 26, 2020 1:14 PM

Feb 2014
The main cast in this movie was really high tier with those roster of popular VA's like Miyano, KanaHana and Sakurai. Even the side cast with FukuJun, Sawashiro and Rikiyo is star studded. And to end it with a Latin singer song is the cherry on the cake.
On the plot part, as a Dazai Osamu classic, the infamous double suicide, and his masterpiece being transitioned into a modern utopian design is a marvel to see. Though the movie left us to think on filling those missing links in between screen changes, if you're familiar with Dazai's works that's a cinch.
Overall a good watch.
7/10.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jul 29, 2020 3:31 PM

Jul 2015
Cgi looks pretty okay and Interesting futuristic setting on the loosely based No longer human story (altough I find the Aoi Bungaku version miles better). Decent movie but the relation between Yoshiko and Yozo felt kinda forced and we didn't really get to know much about the characters which kinda makes them feel shallow.

Sep 1, 2020 8:30 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Yep, as i thought, the girl VA was HanaKana behind all of the great work she had there. Honestly its suited well with the tone of the show. It seems MAL kinda lazy to updated its casts. Lmao. Thank you very much for my brother above my line that solidified my thought. At the end this movie quite decent for me. Honestly, its really deserved more love here. Thats it all for me.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Sep 10, 2020 11:18 AM

May 2018
This was awesome......................................................................
Oct 11, 2020 1:31 AM

Nov 2019
Do not watch this expecting an adaptation of No Longer Human; you'll be disappointed since basically only the general structure and core theme shows up here.

On its own merits it's a pretty solid action-drama with good (CGI) animation, detailed post-apocalyptic artwork, an atmosphere similar to Blade Runner, and as mentioned the still highly relevant theme of social disassociation along with societal themes similar to those found in works like Psycho-Pass, Harmony, and Rakuen Tsuihou.
Jan 17, 2021 9:08 AM

Jan 2013
Pretty average movie, CGI was alright, story was nothing special.
May 24, 2021 12:50 PM

Aug 2013
Well, it's funny that this anime has rating 5.85 when its less "scientific" equivalent Devilman Crybaby had around 7.8. Both anime are total BS and their characters are extremely annoying, both of them has a crybaby as MC. At least Human Lost has great animation and use CGI wise when Devilman Crybaby even looked looked like a crap and had even more ridiculous plot. I bet that since Devilman Crybaby had a bag of perversions and some senseless pretentious scenes then infamous edgy teenagers simply lost their minds over it.

The conception of Human Lost isn't so bad, with a right director and some plot corrections it could be an anime of Psycho-Pass level at least. Three things killed the idea, first of all MC is a typical whining weakling which doesn't have any actual past (except for laughable and shameful scene of "I remembered my Joker-alike father!), second - why the hell to use specific phrases and terms without adequate describing of them, third - worthless antagonist which is more like tired from a whining victim of circumstances. At least it was only one movies instead of 10 episodes.
Oct 19, 2021 2:31 AM
Jan 2020
Did they reuse the Haruo's model from the terrible Godzilla trilogy or what? 6/10.
RonninnOct 21, 2021 6:06 AM
Nov 9, 2021 9:38 AM

Dec 2016
It was average.

They made it completely different. It was barely similar to the original Human Lost by Osamu Dazai. Their concept of Human Lost was ok, kinda confusing.

The animation was ok, decent CGI. I only liked the music and the ED by m-flo and J Balvin.

Overall 5/10.
Oct 9, 2022 11:47 PM
Nov 2020
What is this movie based on? I'm seeing some people recommend aoi bungaku and I'm confused on its source material. I do remember a book named No Longer human by Ozamu Dazai but it has nothing related to this or anything. Is there a manga or any other work which this is based on?
Jan 23, 10:46 AM

Jan 2008
I don't understand how shit like this keeps getting made. It's like 90% exposition.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Mar 28, 1:06 AM

Nov 2013
Reply to Psychotic_Human
What is this movie based on? I'm seeing some people recommend aoi bungaku and I'm confused on its source material. I do remember a book named No Longer human by Ozamu Dazai but it has nothing related to this or anything. Is there a manga or any other work which this is based on?
@Psychotic_Human It's a *very* loose adaptation of the Dazai Osamu novel.
You all need to watch Nami.

More topics from this board

» What's up with this?

Thorf - Mar 23, 2019

5 by KiroTheAssassin »»
Sep 27, 2021 1:00 PM

» New PV

MOna-Dazai - May 3, 2019

7 by _MushiRock11_ »»
Nov 15, 2019 2:09 AM

» In Showa 111, I was disqualified as a human

MOna-Dazai - Mar 23, 2019

5 by WinterEnlighten »»
May 3, 2019 1:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.