Anime & Manga News

Mangaka Changes Shingeki no Kyojin's Ending Due to Popularity

by tsubasalover
Dec 6, 2013 8:33 PM | 298 Comments
An interview of "Shingeki no Kyojin" mangaka Hajime Isayama was revealed on December 4, 2013. In the interview, he mentions that he is thinking about changing the ending he already had a rough idea about. Influencing his decision is the popularity the series has gained from its anime and upcoming live-action movie adaptations. He states that he now has a new idea for the ending, but feels conflicted. Though he does not wish to abandon his original idea, he is concerned about the effect the ending will have.

Source: White Screen

Story by -Zeaos

20 of 298 Comments Recent Comments

tsubasalover said:
An interview of "Shingeki no Kyojin" mangaka Hajime Isayama was revealed on December 4, 2013. In the interview, he mentions that he is thinking about changing the ending he already had a rough idea about. Influencing his decision is the popularity the series has gained from its anime and upcoming live-action movie adaptations. He states that he now has a new idea for the ending, but feels conflicted. Though he does not wish to abandon his original idea, he is concerned about the effect the ending will have.

Source: White Screen

Story by -Zeaos


For real? That pisses me off. What a coward, submits to peer pressure. Trying to suck up to all his fans while jeopardizing the creation of a masterpiece. In the end its all about money and popularity...

Jan 18, 2014 6:02 AM by Dana

he should make two versions then! a main happy ending for the younger audience and a alternative set of 2-3 ova's for the adult audience :-)

havent seen that been done before. well actually in mangas it has been done

Jan 17, 2014 11:38 PM by TRSyntax

Shih said:
I didn't even think that the manga would end any time soon. Talking about the ending already?!


He already announced his intention to end the series at vol 20. It's currently at vol 12 so AoT is already past the halfway mark. You can see that he has been trying to reduce the scale of the series from being about fighting Titans to about fighting a bunch of secret terrorists, and the series will end once the terrorists are defeated.

Jan 12, 2014 11:08 PM by scytheavatar

Well I for one am simply bursting with anticipation for Isayama's Shingeki no Kyojin: End of Shingeki no Kyojin. At last my answers about Human Instrumentality will finally be answered!

Jan 12, 2014 10:35 PM by Angeldust7

He smells dem moniez..

Jan 12, 2014 11:24 AM by Homm

too simplistic

Jan 12, 2014 5:52 AM by amasang

thepythia said:
Happy endings can be pretty annoying.

I'm hoping for something at least somewhat tragic.


same i need to have a OMG wtf moment
Obaka-chan101 said:
wanderingplayboy said:
Is there anyone here believes that he changed the ending because he emphatized with fans?


Yup, and I think the original ending is that Eren dies in the end but humanity is saved


which wouldnt be a bad ending?

Jan 11, 2014 12:16 AM by AForgottenSoul

Shih said:
I didn't even think that the manga would end any time soon. Talking about the ending already?!

one piece has 10 years left yet the creator obviously know how he wants to end it

Jan 11, 2014 12:14 AM by AForgottenSoul

wanderingplayboy said:
Is there anyone here believes that he changed the ending because he emphatized with fans?

Yup, and I think the original ending is that Eren dies in the end but humanity is saved

Jan 10, 2014 11:59 PM by Obaka-chan101

Im kinda of worry because the original ending might be better then the new ending so he should do the original ending and if fans are mad then they should make movie like evangelion.

Jan 9, 2014 9:00 AM by Ouji_Otonashi_

HungLikeaZombie said:
I pray he keeps the original ending.

What if the original ending is everyone dies?

Jan 9, 2014 4:02 AM by Obaka-chan101

2ndIINone said:
ShanaFlame said:
As long as the ending is not terrible, I don't mind :)


this

everyone dies
some die
none die

if done well, then I don't mind (I am a sucker for happy endings though)

Jan 9, 2014 3:36 AM by NemuriNezumi

Do something different let everyone die it only seems natural

Jan 8, 2014 7:49 AM by Hironoga

ShanaFlame said:
As long as the ending is not terrible, I don't mind :)


this

everyone dies
some die
none die

if done well, then I don't mind (I am a sucker for happy endings though)

Jan 8, 2014 6:56 AM by Hieroglyphics

As long as the ending is not terrible, I don't mind :)

Jan 7, 2014 6:37 AM by ShanaFlame

well, it was nowhere said that he's considering turning it into bleach. maybe he simply decided to put more meaning behind main character's deaths, and enrich their arcs. I mean, after that outburst of popularity, he's still doing great job, and keeps manga consistent. He draws long, well-weighted chapters, and seems to be in control of the direction the story's taking. I'd put some faith in him.

Jan 7, 2014 4:56 AM by amasang

Is there anyone here believes that he changed the ending because he emphatized with fans?

Jan 7, 2014 2:06 AM by wanderingplayboy

Sorayin said:
I'm guessing that the original ending was too depressing for the fanbase which is now mostly composed of 12 year olds.

This. The manga is going the Gantz route and will become a hardcore fanfic like what Naruto has become.

Jan 7, 2014 1:50 AM by Hatshibit

One thing I hate above most is when popularity causes an author/editor to change his story. Though I don't read SnK anymore, I'm not sure if this leaves a good taste in my mouth.

Jan 6, 2014 11:53 AM by yhunata

wat hope its good

Jan 6, 2014 6:40 AM by Gold_Time

Related Database Entries