Forum Settings
Forums

'Shingeki no Kyojin' Live Action Movie Project Relaunched With New Team, Due For Release in 2015

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

Dec 3, 2013 10:08 PM

According to the official site for "Shingeki no Kyojin," an announcement has been made stating that a live-action movie adaptation of the series is being created with a new project team. It has also been announced that the movie will begin filming in summer 2014 and is scheduled to be released sometime in 2015.

Members of the crew announced thus far are as follows:

Director: Shinji Higuchi
Script: Yuusuke Watanabe, Tomohiro Machiyama
Original Creator: Hajime Isayama
Production: Toho Company

Source: Natalie
Modified by sevenPocky, Jun 19, 2017 10:51 PM
“News travels fast in places where nothing much ever happens.” ― Charles Bukowski

Dec 3, 2013 10:09 PM

Reactions in Japan are mostly negative.

The most common complaints I found in Japanese forums (from most common to less common) are:

1. Screenplay by Watanabe who also wrote the screenplay for the live action movies of 20th Century Boys, Gantz and, worst, Gatchaman (which got universally panned by viewers and critics). Machiyama writing screenplay while he is mostly a movie pundit himself does not inspire confidence either.

2. The characters in the manga/anime look western but surely the cast here will be mostly Japanese?

3. Special effect in movies produced by Japan is mostly underwhelming. Without huge budget and technical knowhow from Hollywood it is hard to see how it can be done well.

4. The director Higuchi directed movies like Japan Sinks and Lorelei before which got so-so reviews. Many seem to think he is a better special effects director than a director.
Modified by symbv, Dec 3, 2013 10:21 PM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.

Dec 3, 2013 10:11 PM
symbv said:
Why is that?

Dec 3, 2013 10:14 PM

I really wonder what the special effects will look like, I haven't seen much Japanese movies. If there's one manga to movie adaptation that America can do, I think this would be it.

Dec 3, 2013 10:16 PM
AiCon said:
symbv said:
Why is that?

ye im curious why too

Dec 3, 2013 10:19 PM
IntroverTurtle said:
I really wonder what the special effects will look like, I haven't seen much Japanese movies. If there's one manga to movie adaptation that America can do, I think this would be it.
It'll probably have pretty good SFX, though if you've been spoiled by Hollywood quality SFX - you'll be disappointed.

Dec 3, 2013 10:20 PM

j0x said:
AiCon said:
symbv said:
Why is that?
ye im curious why too
I added the reasons by editing the original post http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=699917#msg26753415
Modified by symbv, Dec 3, 2013 10:33 PM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.

Dec 3, 2013 10:21 PM

symbv said:

The most common complaints I found in forums (from most common to less common) are:

1. Screenplay by Watanabe who also wrote the screenplay for the live action movies of 20th Century Boys, Gantz and, worst, Gatchaman (which got universally panned by viewers and critics). Machiyama writing screenplay while he is mostly a movie pundit himself does not inspire confidence either.

2. The characters in the manga/anime look western but surely the cast here will be mostly Japanese?

3. Special effect in movies produced by Japan is mostly underwhelming. Without huge budget and technical knowhow from Hollywood it is hard to see how it can be done well.

4. The director Higuchi directed movies like Japan Sinks and Lorelei before which got so-so reviews. Many seem to think he is a better special effects director than a director.
I agree with points 2 and 3, and don't know much about points 1 and 4. Japanese live action movies in my experience have been really underwhelming (SFX sucks, acting is mediocre).

Dec 3, 2013 10:25 PM

AiCon said:
IntroverTurtle said:
It'll probably have pretty good SFX, though if you've been spoiled by Hollywood quality SFX - you'll be disappointed.
Like I said, I've never really watched any Japanese special effects movies and judging from symbv's post I'm not too excited about it. But think of the quality Hollywood could use, I'm having an orgasm just thinking of it.

symbv said:

The most common complaints I found in Japanese forums (from most common to less common) are:

Yeah I thought of 2 and 3 while writing my post. I mean Mikasa is supposed to be the only asian character in the story. And the only Japanese effects I've seen were those cheesy gorey ones.

Dec 3, 2013 10:25 PM
symbv said:

-snip-

Well, I do admit I wasn't a fan of the live-action Gantz movies.

Dec 3, 2013 10:29 PM

Yuusuke Watanabe

>Gantz Live action
>20th Century boys Live action

Gonna start off okay and then go off course with the story. Yep, this live action is doomed.

Dec 3, 2013 10:31 PM

Wind_Sr said:
Script: Yuusuke Watanabe

Oh no, why him?
Gantz was the worst live-action I saw from japan, 20th Century Boys was so-so, it wasn't that bad, but if you compare it to original story it pretty crap, he also changed the story in the 2nd movie.

Why can't live actions be like Rurouni Kenshin? It wasn't much close to the original but I it was good, epic, so much epic that even my friends that hate Anime/Japanese stuff actually enjoyed it, It also getting worldwide Blu-ray release and I plan to buy it.

Dec 3, 2013 10:35 PM

It's gonna bloooow.

Dec 3, 2013 10:36 PM

Well, at least the landscape image board used for the movie production is not too bad:

http://blog-imgs-61.fc2.com/y/a/r/yaraon/1_20131204115556dc8.png

Dec 3, 2013 10:46 PM

I don't know how much people are attached to the characters, but after I read the title, I just thought it might be a spin of with different characters. Thoughts?

Dec 3, 2013 10:51 PM

I hope they really do spend a lot of money on this project. From my experience, almost all Asian movies have really terrible SFX. I wish they got Hollywood quality SFX but kept Japanese directors and such (a repeat of ATLA and Dragon Ball sounds like shit).

Dec 3, 2013 10:54 PM

If only the U.S. would adapt this then it probably would've looked like this http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/clubs/9/272603.jpg

But anyways, I thought Gantz would've worked as Live action,but it didn't work.
Not so keen on this.

Dec 3, 2013 10:55 PM

Nope- said:
If only the U.S. would adapt this then it probably would've looked like this http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/clubs/9/272603.jpg

But anyways, I thought Gantz would've worked as Live action,but it didn't work.
Not so keen on this.

That actually looks pretty epic. Man. If only I was a billionaire or something, I could just chuck a whole load of money at it. @_@

Dec 3, 2013 10:56 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Nope- said:
Note that this is a fake movie poster and that date is also fake. Still a pretty cool poster though.

Dec 3, 2013 10:58 PM

Naruleach said:
Nope- said:
Note that this is a fake movie poster and that date is also fake. Still a pretty cool poster though.
Well I never even state or implied that it was real

Dec 3, 2013 11:03 PM

Physiicx said:
I hope they really do spend a lot of money on this project. From my experience, almost all Asian movies have really terrible SFX. I wish they got Hollywood quality SFX but kept Japanese directors and such (a repeat of ATLA and Dragon Ball sounds like shit).
ATLA wasn't even Japanese.

Dec 3, 2013 11:03 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Nope- said:
Well I never even state or implied that it was real
I just wanted to clarify so that people wouldn't be misconstrued.

On topic:
symbv said:
I definitely agree that that's something that will affect movie's enjoyability.

Dec 3, 2013 11:04 PM

kinda looking forward to it :x

~everlasting happiness is a joke...

Dec 3, 2013 11:11 PM

IntroverTurtle said:

I'm right there with you, but alas, way too much of a gamble to make this a big (more like huge) budget film based off a manga.
“News travels fast in places where nothing much ever happens.” ― Charles Bukowski

Dec 3, 2013 11:13 PM

Wind_Sr said:
IntroverTurtle said:

I'm right there with you, but alas, way too much of a gamble to make this a big (more like huge) budget film based off a manga.
Yeah I get that but I believe if you just showed the trailer that it would get really popular. SnK has that appeal. And Japan would most likely love it if it was done right, they could make a lot of money just from them.

Dec 3, 2013 11:21 PM
Yeah I agree with most people. Hollywood could definitely turn this into something awesome.

Unfortunately I think Japan is too hyped up with the success of the series and are gonna rush the movie thinking they'll make money.

Dec 3, 2013 11:34 PM

Well, with that said, maybe I won't be expecting for it to be as good as those marvel movies. I hope it's great. I'll be waiting for it.

Dec 3, 2013 11:47 PM

Hm . . . The staff are not promising. We will see.
I like anime.

Dec 3, 2013 11:57 PM
Review Moderator
#1 Star Wars Fan

symbv said:

I agree with these points, not that I'm Japanese but they are logical. I can't really say I look forward to a Live action film of this. Hopefully they will try and respect the anime/manga to the best of their abilities when making it.

Dec 4, 2013 12:55 AM

This is one adaptation i would like Hollywood to tackle with. Like everyone says if this doesn't have a huge budget and judging by other Japanese movies the SFX will be pretty bad. Still who knows they might have bigger plans and hopefully this would be awesome!

Dec 4, 2013 1:17 AM

I don't have good feelings about it... Japanese actors tend to overact, and I don't think I've seen even one movie with good special effects.
I don't have any problems with all characters being Asian, there are more things to worry about.

Can't wait how Levi is going to look like, lol.

Dec 4, 2013 1:18 AM

Dec 4, 2013 1:22 AM

ROFL....I don't think I'd wish a Live Action Adaption for even SnK....

That's just offensive.

Dec 4, 2013 1:30 AM
Mostly agreeing with the points symbol has given out earlier in this thread. I'm still wanting to see how good it can be though. Just have to lower my expectations. I think this would be a spin-off, more than a direct adaptation.

On the other hand, if they have time for this....

Where mah Shingeki S2 for winter/spring 2015 or Attack: Titanhood announcement ? >:c

Dec 4, 2013 1:41 AM
❤Genki Girl❤

If it got a Hollywood-made tv-series with a serious budget I think this could work pretty well, otherwise nty

A cuddle a day keeps the pouting away~
Hit me up if you want someone to flirt with for a bit ^^
"Holding hands is just the first step to getting pregnant"

Dec 4, 2013 1:55 AM

Kitsu-nee said:
Can't wait how Levi is going to look like, lol.

This is what frightens me the most.

Dec 4, 2013 2:18 AM

I've had one too many reservations with anime/manga adapted to live-action, and somehow my fear for SnK being adapted to a live-action movie with non-Hollywood production was confirmed.

For all it'll probably be worth, I suppose trying this out WITHOUT any expectations wouldn't hurt.

Want some Light Novels for killing time but you're a poorfag? Take a look at my loot...→

Dec 4, 2013 2:24 AM

Kinda have mixed feelings about the live action. To watch or not to watch. I'm worried how will they pull off the use of 3D Maneuver Gear in action. I wonder who will be Levi? XD

"Let me keep believing... so that I can keep on living."

Dec 4, 2013 3:06 AM
Forum Moderator
Kanade♥

Ugh, I have a feeling this is gonna turn out shit. Hollywood should just hop on this. OHOHOHOH.

Dec 4, 2013 3:06 AM

please no...

Dec 4, 2013 3:19 AM

I wonder how they're going to use titans in live action.

It's gonna get pretty expensive.

Dec 4, 2013 3:21 AM

Eek.. Can't say that I've had a good experience with live actions either.
And judging by how, like others said before, the SFX usually is... I have no idea on how this could work.
Just try to imagine it. Low-budget CGI titans, that cheap chroma key for all the fighting, etc.

「レミ咲が今日のティータイム。」- RemiSaku ga kyou no tea time!

Dec 4, 2013 4:37 AM

> Bad/low-budget SFX
> Over reaction actors
> Most likely will mess around with the story at some point

mmmm... Thanks but not thanks.

Dec 4, 2013 4:55 AM

I know you all will hate me for these but, if i was the director the first thing ill do is remove the Titan transformation and let eren be normal guy that good at what he do (No Super Powers)

Dec 4, 2013 5:37 AM

The two reasons why this movie's gonna suck is
1)The characters all being Japanese when it's obvious they're not.
2)The special effects.

I'll keep smiling brightly at you.
Even when you hurt me.

Dec 4, 2013 5:49 AM

It's probably going to suck... can't imagine the titans not being laughable. Would so much rather a feature length anime movie (even with original material... preferably written by the mangaka like the Gintama movie which was amazing)...

Dec 4, 2013 5:53 AM
#1 Chihaya Fan

I've seen this poster, my expeditions for a live action adaptation will now unfortunately never be met.

Dec 4, 2013 6:16 AM

I have always had bad experiences with live action adaptation, and it looks like this one won't be an exception.

Dec 4, 2013 6:21 AM

It has failure written all over it.

Dec 4, 2013 6:22 AM

I just hope the characters are going to be Japanese.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »