Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Mar 30, 2023 4:58 PM
Sep 2022
a determinação do Nai me impressionou muito, fez-me lacrimejar um pouco.
Mar 30, 2023 5:02 PM
Oct 2017
Elinchayiel said:

Most of the stuff this season showed was actually new, as in prequel material. With that knowledge in mind its hard to call a fantastic experience like this ''rushed'', so most of the story hasnt even begun to be told.
Elinchayiel said:
The show is inspired and based on the manga source material. Which is the original source, not the OG anime show. So naturally, it will be a lot different from the anime adaptation which in itself was also different from the manga.
Elinchayiel said:
Again, this is based on the original source material, the manga. And again, the 98 version was already quite different from the source material.
I'm gonna go ahead and reply to all of these in one block. You really didn't have to use the same answer three times like I had asked the same question three times in separate replies.

Anyway, it's interesting everyone seems to use the manga as some kind of defence for poor moments in Stampede. Well I took the time to look into the manga, as I was aware of it but never took the time to read it and, to the best of my knowledge? There are actually a lot of elements Stampede is borrowing from the 98 anime, as well as things it just flat out changed for Stampede. There is definitely more of the manga there, but this defence that because it's pulling more from the manga so it's okay to be so dissimilar? I don't think that's good enough.

A single google search of Livio for instance indicates pretty clearly he's quite different in Stampede than the manga in design. I'm actually more irritated at Stampede now because he CLEARLY had a more gunslinger look to him, but now he has a suit and a half on mask. I don't think there's any manga source for that one.

The first few episodes adapt the first few chapters of the manga yes, much like the 98 anime did. Though in fact Stampede is actually even more different from the manga than the 98 anime, as Knives does not show up in the manga to destroy the town. And E.G Mine wasn't involved either. To add onto this, that definitely didn't take place in some kind of prequel in the manga where Vash could barely shoot his own gun, considering Milly and Meryl were with him in the manga, and were both insurance agents, not reporters.

And this is just from a cursory examination, I'm fairly sure the sand steamer is considerably different from the manga too just from a glance. This stuff is new, but it's not because it's directly from the manga, it's changing quite a bit! And I specifically brought it up in relation to the 98 anime, because the common argument I've seen going around is that Stampede is a prequel to that, when it is adapting events that also show up in the 98 anime! Unless there's some very weird deja-vu going on, it's very clearly not. If this is a Trigun maximum thing I may take this back.

Elinchayiel said:
Yeah with no memory, having added the guilt of killing his brother and wiping out an entire town. Wait, what? Saying he's going to continue being the same is too ignorant.
You know I will apologise here, I didn't make this point very clear in my initial post. This was mostly in terms of Vash's personality in this version, a more somber, quiet, restrained and passive character. Stampede has failed to assure me, at least, that any future Vash will be closer to the one from the 98 anime, or the manga. That was more what I meant, obviously he has moved places in Stampede and the memory and 'killing Knives' will have an impact, but I've yet to believe they'll be a positive impact on his character.
Elinchayiel said:
98 anime Knives was a shallow character compared to the source material, or this show's version.
Won't argue this point too much, he was a little shallow and more a force of nature behind the other antagonists like Legato. But Stampede Knives I think is still off base from the manga, most likely? I at least haven't seen any panels of him monologuing about how he's like God, wearing a big ominous hood like an artist's first villainous character design and playing evil piano.
Elinchayiel said:
They seem to trust it a great deal if they went through this level of effort in the show's production, despite some very controversial outlash from ''fans'' prior to release.
They also seem to have a great trust for the audience to be moved by the experience and be able to grasp the subtles in play in their style of ''show, dont tell''.
In this show you can tell what a character is thinking by the way they respond with their models and visual cues ranging from overblown to very minute.
That requires trusting the audience to be able to spot those cues. Most anime will instead just flat out say everything, since its fools proof.
This is actually taking the original part of my argument out of context, thank you. I was originally talking about how Stampede lacks tension because it can't let events sit and let the audience ruminate and just puts reveals down as soon as possible so no-one is left to think about it. Revealing Wolfwood's allegiances in his introductory episode implies either they expect you to be familiar with Trigun by the manga or the 98 anime, and it means there's no tension anymore because now we just know. There's no rewatch bonus with now knowing Wolfwood's allegiances and having a second look at his actions, THAT is what I was talking about.

I'm honestly not going to comment on the 'subtleties' thing because if you can see that, good on you, but I'm also pretty sure Stampede still spells out quite a lot for its audience, Knives still monologues a lot.
Elinchayiel said:
Smells like bs, to me. From what ive seen many reactions to the show were ''it keeps me excited every week, waiting to see what comes next''.
It makes sense they give more hooks in this final episode. Its the final episode of a season after all. Having ''sequal bait'' is merely the smart thing to do.
That's on a week to week basis and, yeah you're obviously going to see more people coming here to say 'it's good'. What I'm more talking about is appeasement. Vash's redesign caused a stir, as did Milly's exclusion. By promising that these things will be amended in Season 2, I don't see that as sequel bait, but as an attempt to win back the fans they annoyed by changing it. I can't say for sure this is what it is because intent is hard to gleam, but it's interesting that the two big complaints most had besides the CGI will be 'fixed' as long as you tune in for a second season.
Elinchayiel said:
The 98 anime was filled with filler episodes, so ofcourse this show will feel ''rushed'' when all the fat is trimmed down. As someone that has read a 180,000+ pages novel series I will still tell you that stories are better without filler. Why? Because the quality will be higher.
Ah yes, the devil's word in anime 'filler.' I know there's this consensus on the internet that filler automatically equals bad, but I'm gonna go to bat that sometimes it's really not all that bad and trying to dismiss the 98 anime for using it is shortsighted.

Filler is only really bad when it takes away from the work, when it's derailing plots and characters. Trigun's first tenure is more episodic in nature, so the filler content really isn't as bad as some make it out to be. All the episodes still work into the series' overarching themes, atmosphere and characters. It's a great introduction to the world and the characters and the plot kicks in a few episodes later. There's nothing wrong with it being filler.
Unless your definition of filler is just 'not from the source material', in which case I'd just ask why you're using something they had no material for against the show. Like what were they meant to do, just stop adapting halfway through?

And if that is your definition, could you point me to the chapter where they're stuck in the worm please? Or the chapter about Monev being a child in a cyborg's body? Genuinely I'd like to know if I missed that one.
Elinchayiel said:
It's just a hairstyle in the end. If you really think THAT is the most important aspect of Trigun, I kind of question how much of a fan you even are. Well, aside from already questioning it seeing how you seem to believe the 98 anime is the ''original source'', and believe this is based on it, rather then on the actual original, aka the manga.
Yeah can you point to where I said either, Vash's hair is the most important aspect of Trigun, or, the 98 manga is the OG source, please? Big assuming of intent there. The hair thing is more related to the viewer complaints thing above, and as others have pointed out, the hair was an important link to Rem. An aspect dropped in Stampede, without even a change relating to Vash's new hairstyle. It turning spiky in the last episode again just looks like viewer appeasement, or being more charitable, a cheeky reference. I'm well aware the anime isn't the original source, but there is a reason that it and the manga were popular enough to warrant a remake a good 20 years later.
Elinchayiel said:
At this point all yourself and other 98' diehard fans are doing is forcing people to realise how much better this show is then the 98 anime..
Whereas if you were more forthcoming and accepting of this show, I think people would also recommend watching that one. Instead of coming to the conclusion that ''oh wait, this show is actually way better..''

When you turn it into a war between two shows, people are going to compare them, and sorry to say to you but the 98 show (which is now 25 years old) is at a huge disadvantage here. It lacks the incredible visuals or OST of this show. And it had too much filler, where this show has none.

You guys shot yourselves in the foot by hating this show..

More assuming of intent here. The comparisons are inevitable, it's not some attempt to start a conflict just because some of us don't have praise for Stampede. The 98 anime is still a cult classic for a reason, so when you say you're going to redo it, that is just going to draw comparison no matter what.

And here's the thing. Even setting the 98 anime aside, even setting the manga aside? I still think Stampede is just a bad show on its own merits. I went into Stampede wanting to like it, I didn't go in with some intent to bash it or call out every frame where it's not just the 98 anime again. I sat down, I watched all of it, and concluded I increasingly didn't like it and don't think it's good. I don't have much to say about the CGI honestly, I don't think it's bad, but I don't think it's a style that's particularly great either. I barely remember the soundtrack from Stampede at all, I genuinely would struggle to recall the melody to a single track because it's just not there. That's the long and short of it. The idea that because some of us dislike an adaptation and make that known, that we've somehow made the 98 version look worse is frankly, ridiculous and I have no idea where that notion came from.

I'm glad you like Stampede. I know I just wrote a very long reply seemingly to the contrary, but cards on the table, good for you. That's fine.
Also thanks, feeling a need to make my argument a little clearer and refute some things helped me get the knack for formatting right again, so cheers for that.
Mar 30, 2023 7:03 PM

Oct 2018
man i hope there's gonna be a 2nd season

edit: just checked, lets gooooo
Mar 30, 2023 9:49 PM

Jan 2022
Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit. Orange really fucking showed off this episode, it was beautiful. It had a lot of emotions, the music was perfect and Knives being shown at the end is very exciting for the season 2, hype !
I like everything, ok
Mar 31, 2023 8:52 AM
Mar 2019
Kolopauy said:
Badlands Rumble is still the best Trigun anime.
Stop trolling.

I'm pretty sure you posted this the other day. Stampede is not even done yet.
Mar 31, 2023 12:33 PM

Sep 2018
CrumbleGarden said:
I'm glad you like Stampede. I know I just wrote a very long reply seemingly to the contrary, but cards on the table, good for you. That's fine.
Also thanks, feeling a need to make my argument a little clearer and refute some things helped me get the knack for formatting right again, so cheers for that.

Wait, do you mean to say you actually wrote good arguments? I have to admit I already presumed you wouldnt so I only read your last line. Let me check quickly!

Sigh. I got jebaited. Even just a quick skim through already shows, that ironically you dont have good arguments. You just wrote a reply to everything for the sake of being contrarian.
I'm not going to bother to reply to it all (uncharacteristically, since I tend to argue with most people), since your arguments just deflect the criticism and shift the goalpost.

CrumbleGarden said:
Won't argue this point too much, he was a little shallow and more a force of nature behind the other antagonists like Legato. But Stampede Knives I think is still off base from the manga, most likely? I at least haven't seen any panels of him monologuing about how he's like God, wearing a big ominous hood like an artist's first villainous character design and playing evil piano.

Like here.

''well you are right, but actually I will say that you arent.. because.. I dont want to agree with anything you write?''
"so im just going to find some issue to create here so you are actually wrong! hah!''

This level is not worth my time. I assume you are what, a high school or college level debater? Perhaps your form is good, but it is not form that decides whether an argument is stronger.
There is no jury to influence here. It is just the strength of the arguments you wield.

I will give you a protip:

There is no shame in saying someone is right. In fact by admitting someone makes a good point, if you have a wide enough perspective, you can incorporate their point into your own and fire it back at them. What you instead did here, was weaken my argument by barely refering to it. Which in turn also weakened your attempt to counter it. Which in itself was also a poor attempt as you focused on the presumed weakness of Stampede, rather then outlining the advantage of the OG show. It is easier to impress by showing what one does better, then by showing what another does worse.
So what if Stampede were to do something bad? That doesnt mean Trigun did it well either.

The more effective counter is not when you can say ''well yes, but actually'' but when you can say '' yes, and wouldnt it be better if that we also included..''
Instead of a ''but, no'', a ''but, also''

By doing that you display that you understand and agree with the point the opposition has. While at the same time offering a wider, perspective. As it incorporates their argument, it is equal to it. As it adds onto it, it becomes greater then it. You beat them by being better at their own argument, except its yours now, and its better. This is also pretty much the only way you can win if you start out with a losing argument like you did.

For example in this case your argument could have been:

Indeed. Knives in the OG anime was quite (rather then little, dont downplay!) shallow and more a force of nature behind the other antagonists like Legato. Certainly, in terms of terms of depth he is a much greater character in Stampede. However, Stampede's Knives depiction while having more depth, is not quite all that manga Knives is. He lacks aspects of the character that don't perse give him more depth, but do make him ''truer to the source'', more like the character the mangaka intended for him to be. Aspects that Trigun or the manga did have. Especially now that Knives has such depth to him, its even more of a shame that he does not also have these aspects of his character. Then he truly would be the Best Knives. Does Stampede's Knives have more value purely because he his more depth? For an anime only viewer, I would certainly say so. However my perspective is that of a source material reader and as such I find him missing these aspects, dispappointing. He is great, but be could have been so more.

He is great, but be could have been so more.

So like that, kind of. Well it was a short write up so its not exactly amazing either. By my standards, anyway.

I hope that was helpful for you. You seem to need the help. If you were to make arguments that way, it would be a lot easier to convince people.

Why dont I do that? Now that is something I might actually have a hard time answering..
“Ha ha, the synergy between my left and right hand made them feel scared.” Ye Xiu said.
Apr 1, 2023 3:50 PM
Oct 2021
Everything was perfect
Apr 1, 2023 6:13 PM
Oct 2017
Indeed. Knives in the OG anime was quite (rather then little, dont downplay!) shallow and more a force of nature behind the other antagonists like Legato. Certainly, in terms of terms of depth he is a much greater character in Stampede. However, Stampede's Knives depiction while having more depth, is not quite all that manga Knives is. He lacks aspects of the character that don't perse give him more depth, but do make him ''truer to the source'', more like the character the mangaka intended for him to be. Aspects that Trigun or the manga did have. Especially now that Knives has such depth to him, its even more of a shame that he does not also have these aspects of his character. Then he truly would be the Best Knives. Does Stampede's Knives have more value purely because he his more depth? For an anime only viewer, I would certainly say so. However my perspective is that of a source material reader and as such I find him missing these aspects, dispappointing. He is great, but be could have been so more.
So what you're saying is, if the opinion I held happened to just, not be my opinion anymore, my argument would be inherently superior?

Well gosh it's all so simple now, why didn't I think of that?
Apr 2, 2023 12:49 PM
Mar 2021
amazing amazing amazing

Apr 2, 2023 7:35 PM
May 2021
OST: great
Animation: lovely
Story: very enjoyable

I really liked this one.
Time to rewatch it again I guess :)

Also, pretty neat that the title of the episode matches up with chapter 0 of the manga.
ShinyBunnieApr 3, 2023 4:51 AM
Apr 2, 2023 7:52 PM

Jul 2008
NEEDLE NOGGIN!!!!!!!!!! MILLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had to say that first, so this series was kinda a prequel in a sense but not really. I give this an 8/10 can't wait for season 2.
Apr 3, 2023 2:23 PM
Feb 2020
Man Knives death was metal as Hell! I cant believe they name dropped Millie!
Honestly, this is the kind of reboot that I love. Different enoughtto justify it's existence but not different to the point of being unrecognizable from what came before.
I legit hope that we'll get to see more of this continuity.
Apr 4, 2023 10:51 AM
Apr 2023
An absolute masterpiece of anime television. Improving on and complimenting the original series and manga in so many ways.

Truly a staggering achievement.

CANNOT wait for season 2.
Apr 4, 2023 12:18 PM

Mar 2021
I don't know man, Knives was spot on about "Vash the Stampede" - THAT'S THE BEST HE CAME UP WITH AFTER MORE THAN A CENTURY?!?

Vash's reasoning for saving humanity is absolutely shallow. Truly felt like it was an intended comedic moment. Knives' arguments are much better (writing wise)

Pretty spectacular looking episode all the way through. Great as a season finale

The duel scenes between Knives and Vash were so fun with the dynamic cameras

Knives' determination about his plan is pretty damn formidable. His final moments were pretty great

Overall, idk, the production was amazing, some characters are pretty interesting, Vash is very hit or miss, plot absolutely sped up near the end and got quite confusing. Solid anime but it has it's flaws
JedanKomadApr 4, 2023 12:26 PM
Anime fuckin sucks by the way

Apr 5, 2023 6:40 AM
Apr 2023
Fojkop said:
ModestMouseTrap said:
An absolute masterpiece of anime television. Improving on and complimenting the original series and manga in so many ways.

Truly a staggering achievement.

CANNOT wait for season 2.

Did you create an alt just for this?

An Alt? What?

This is my first MAL account. I clicked the ratings button for episode 12 and wrote a little blurb to go along with my five star rating. Didn’t realize that it would be published to a forum post.

What’s it to you?
Apr 5, 2023 2:53 PM
Nov 2019
made me fall in love with anime again
Apr 5, 2023 11:02 PM
Apr 2023
Maravilloso. Me encantó absolutamente todo. No puedo esperar la segunda temporada.
Apr 7, 2023 2:13 AM
Mar 2010
The show started off on the weak foot and everything felt directionless, boring even, that is, until we entered the second half of the season. Things started to make sense, character exploration happening, plot moving forward. It was gripping, serious, and expanded on its world. And final the finale, Goddamn, that was fucking amazing from a visual standpoint. All these people calling this bad or average need to get off their innate hate of this retelling and CGI in general.

Weak first half, amazing second part. Can't wait for the sequel. 8/10
Apr 7, 2023 3:53 AM
Sep 2022
It was more than awesome, I loved the fight where a very light, fine line shown about modern civilization and humanity!, nai was right by his side as they will never be able to slave again, he fought for peace for both of them.
Vash indeed choose to be with human but sure, they will not accept them that easily even might be end up as the punisher.
Apr 8, 2023 5:31 PM
Mar 2022
What a masterpiece, amazing animation, symbolism, and soundtrack throughout the entire show. Studio orange absolutely killed it
Apr 9, 2023 9:10 AM

Dec 2008
That was a great episode, I doubt the sutdio would be able to pull this off in 2d. I wonder what the sequel will bring.
I know this series was announced as a reboot, but since I watched only couple of episodes of the original, the last episode left me with the feeling that it is a kinda-sorta prequel on top of being a remake of the original series. Meryl at the beginning is a reporter(if I recall correctly) and at the end learns she will be moved to the Insurance, also, she is getting a trainee, Milly. It left me with a bit of a mindfuck, to such a degree that I had to rewatch the 1st ep of the old series to get out that feeling out of the system. If I were to put on a tinfoil hat and squint hard enough, then both series maaaaay be connected in some kind of convoluted fan theory of Vash having memory loss after the fight and Meryl not being certain what she sees, because  she might have been certain Vash's death. On the other hand, that's mumbling of someone who watched only a portion of the original years ago.
Apr 9, 2023 9:49 AM

Apr 2019
I haven't seen the original anime, and I don't read manga so I can't compare this to them but I thoroughly enjoyed this anime. Orange did a brilliant job, especially compared to that trash Godzilla Singular Point they also made. The animation and the music were on point throughout this entire show. Hopefully there's more to come from Trigun Stampede in the future.
Apr 9, 2023 9:33 PM
Feb 2021
Very sad. 10/10 would recommend.
Apr 11, 2023 9:09 AM
May 2020
YO I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO FEEL RN WHAT JUST HAPPENED
Apr 17, 2023 6:23 PM
May 2020
CrumbleGarden said:
Elinchayiel said:

Most of the stuff this season showed was actually new, as in prequel material. With that knowledge in mind its hard to call a fantastic experience like this ''rushed'', so most of the story hasnt even begun to be told.
Elinchayiel said:
The show is inspired and based on the manga source material. Which is the original source, not the OG anime show. So naturally, it will be a lot different from the anime adaptation which in itself was also different from the manga.
Elinchayiel said:
Again, this is based on the original source material, the manga. And again, the 98 version was already quite different from the source material.
I'm gonna go ahead and reply to all of these in one block. You really didn't have to use the same answer three times like I had asked the same question three times in separate replies.

Anyway, it's interesting everyone seems to use the manga as some kind of defence for poor moments in Stampede. Well I took the time to look into the manga, as I was aware of it but never took the time to read it and, to the best of my knowledge? There are actually a lot of elements Stampede is borrowing from the 98 anime, as well as things it just flat out changed for Stampede. There is definitely more of the manga there, but this defence that because it's pulling more from the manga so it's okay to be so dissimilar? I don't think that's good enough.

A single google search of Livio for instance indicates pretty clearly he's quite different in Stampede than the manga in design. I'm actually more irritated at Stampede now because he CLEARLY had a more gunslinger look to him, but now he has a suit and a half on mask. I don't think there's any manga source for that one.

The first few episodes adapt the first few chapters of the manga yes, much like the 98 anime did. Though in fact Stampede is actually even more different from the manga than the 98 anime, as Knives does not show up in the manga to destroy the town. And E.G Mine wasn't involved either. To add onto this, that definitely didn't take place in some kind of prequel in the manga where Vash could barely shoot his own gun, considering Milly and Meryl were with him in the manga, and were both insurance agents, not reporters.

And this is just from a cursory examination, I'm fairly sure the sand steamer is considerably different from the manga too just from a glance. This stuff is new, but it's not because it's directly from the manga, it's changing quite a bit! And I specifically brought it up in relation to the 98 anime, because the common argument I've seen going around is that Stampede is a prequel to that, when it is adapting events that also show up in the 98 anime! Unless there's some very weird deja-vu going on, it's very clearly not. If this is a Trigun maximum thing I may take this back.

Elinchayiel said:
Yeah with no memory, having added the guilt of killing his brother and wiping out an entire town. Wait, what? Saying he's going to continue being the same is too ignorant.
You know I will apologise here, I didn't make this point very clear in my initial post. This was mostly in terms of Vash's personality in this version, a more somber, quiet, restrained and passive character. Stampede has failed to assure me, at least, that any future Vash will be closer to the one from the 98 anime, or the manga. That was more what I meant, obviously he has moved places in Stampede and the memory and 'killing Knives' will have an impact, but I've yet to believe they'll be a positive impact on his character.
Elinchayiel said:
98 anime Knives was a shallow character compared to the source material, or this show's version.
Elinchayiel said:
They seem to trust it a great deal if they went through this level of effort in the show's production, despite some very controversial outlash from ''fans'' prior to release.
They also seem to have a great trust for the audience to be moved by the experience and be able to grasp the subtles in play in their style of ''show, dont tell''.
In this show you can tell what a character is thinking by the way they respond with their models and visual cues ranging from overblown to very minute.
That requires trusting the audience to be able to spot those cues. Most anime will instead just flat out say everything, since its fools proof.
This is actually taking the original part of my argument out of context, thank you. I was originally talking about how Stampede lacks tension because it can't let events sit and let the audience ruminate and just puts reveals down as soon as possible so no-one is left to think about it. Revealing Wolfwood's allegiances in his introductory episode implies either they expect you to be familiar with Trigun by the manga or the 98 anime, and it means there's no tension anymore because now we just know. There's no rewatch bonus with now knowing Wolfwood's allegiances and having a second look at his actions, THAT is what I was talking about.

I'm honestly not going to comment on the 'subtleties' thing because if you can see that, good on you, but I'm also pretty sure Stampede still spells out quite a lot for its audience, Knives still monologues a lot.
Elinchayiel said:
Smells like bs, to me. From what ive seen many reactions to the show were ''it keeps me excited every week, waiting to see what comes next''.
It makes sense they give more hooks in this final episode. Its the final episode of a season after all. Having ''sequal bait'' is merely the smart thing to do.
That's on a week to week basis and, yeah you're obviously going to see more people coming here to say 'it's good'. What I'm more talking about is appeasement. Vash's redesign caused a stir, as did Milly's exclusion. By promising that these things will be amended in Season 2, I don't see that as sequel bait, but as an attempt to win back the fans they annoyed by changing it. I can't say for sure this is what it is because intent is hard to gleam, but it's interesting that the two big complaints most had besides the CGI will be 'fixed' as long as you tune in for a second season.
Elinchayiel said:
The 98 anime was filled with filler episodes, so ofcourse this show will feel ''rushed'' when all the fat is trimmed down. As someone that has read a 180,000+ pages novel series I will still tell you that stories are better without filler. Why? Because the quality will be higher.
Ah yes, the devil's word in anime 'filler.' I know there's this consensus on the internet that filler automatically equals bad, but I'm gonna go to bat that sometimes it's really not all that bad and trying to dismiss the 98 anime for using it is shortsighted.

Filler is only really bad when it takes away from the work, when it's derailing plots and characters. Trigun's first tenure is more episodic in nature, so the filler content really isn't as bad as some make it out to be. All the episodes still work into the series' overarching themes, atmosphere and characters. It's a great introduction to the world and the characters and the plot kicks in a few episodes later. There's nothing wrong with it being filler.
Unless your definition of filler is just 'not from the source material', in which case I'd just ask why you're using something they had no material for against the show. Like what were they meant to do, just stop adapting halfway through?

And if that is your definition, could you point me to the chapter where they're stuck in the worm please? Or the chapter about Monev being a child in a cyborg's body? Genuinely I'd like to know if I missed that one.
Elinchayiel said:
It's just a hairstyle in the end. If you really think THAT is the most important aspect of Trigun, I kind of question how much of a fan you even are. Well, aside from already questioning it seeing how you seem to believe the 98 anime is the ''original source'', and believe this is based on it, rather then on the actual original, aka the manga.
Yeah can you point to where I said either, Vash's hair is the most important aspect of Trigun, or, the 98 manga is the OG source, please? Big assuming of intent there. The hair thing is more related to the viewer complaints thing above, and as others have pointed out, the hair was an important link to Rem. An aspect dropped in Stampede, without even a change relating to Vash's new hairstyle. It turning spiky in the last episode again just looks like viewer appeasement, or being more charitable, a cheeky reference. I'm well aware the anime isn't the original source, but there is a reason that it and the manga were popular enough to warrant a remake a good 20 years later.
Elinchayiel said:
At this point all yourself and other 98' diehard fans are doing is forcing people to realise how much better this show is then the 98 anime..
Whereas if you were more forthcoming and accepting of this show, I think people would also recommend watching that one. Instead of coming to the conclusion that ''oh wait, this show is actually way better..''

When you turn it into a war between two shows, people are going to compare them, and sorry to say to you but the 98 show (which is now 25 years old) is at a huge disadvantage here. It lacks the incredible visuals or OST of this show. And it had too much filler, where this show has none.

You guys shot yourselves in the foot by hating this show..

More assuming of intent here. The comparisons are inevitable, it's not some attempt to start a conflict just because some of us don't have praise for Stampede. The 98 anime is still a cult classic for a reason, so when you say you're going to redo it, that is just going to draw comparison no matter what.

And here's the thing. Even setting the 98 anime aside, even setting the manga aside? I still think Stampede is just a bad show on its own merits. I went into Stampede wanting to like it, I didn't go in with some intent to bash it or call out every frame where it's not just the 98 anime again. I sat down, I watched all of it, and concluded I increasingly didn't like it and don't think it's good. I don't have much to say about the CGI honestly, I don't think it's bad, but I don't think it's a style that's particularly great either. I barely remember the soundtrack from Stampede at all, I genuinely would struggle to recall the melody to a single track because it's just not there. That's the long and short of it. The idea that because some of us dislike an adaptation and make that known, that we've somehow made the 98 version look worse is frankly, ridiculous and I have no idea where that notion came from.

Just glancing at the manga with no contact whatsoever to how the story beats will go down of course will only tell you how Stampede is doing the "micro" things.

Well of course most of Stampede will seems new since it's expanding on the "July incident", which is a flashback chunk of chapters in the manga and a flashback in the og.
Why "July Incident' since basically early Trigun (The first bunch of Trigun Volumes) is overall dealing with Vash coming in to terms with the fall out of that. And leads him to open up more to the other main cast.
It expanded it in away where it pulls elements it can take from "Trigun Maximum" which mostly is the backtory's of the characters. And by doing so it can establish and set things up that will happen in the future while not making significant things happen way to early in the timeline.

Like the OG anime straight up killed Knives, which straights up deviates the story as Knives won't be in the OG anime anymore even if the OG adapted the "Trigun maximum" content.

Also like Knives in Stampede isn't really dead yet if you know the source material. So the aspects of Knives you think was missing from Stampede basically appears in reaction to his Defeat in the July Incident.

Stampede is still following the Story beats of the Manga on a macro level.
The Hair thing altered in Stampede but that is stil an aspect in the manga. INDEPENDENTS in the manga when overusing their plant powers cause their hair to turn black. But in Stampede it seems they made an addition of their Hair Standing up after awakening their plant powers.
Apr 17, 2023 6:34 PM
May 2020
PraxisCat said:
Jackalinthebox said:

Nightow has explicitly stated this is a new side of Vash. The only animated adaptation where he’s a credited writer is the Badlands Rumble movie which is apart of the 98 canon. If you want the creator’s vision of Vash, you would need to read the manga.
It's definitely a new side of Vash, but it's closer to mid / end manga Vash than the Vash in the 98 anime ever was. It's hard to look at the very ripped, pensive Vash after he lost his arm in the manga and see the 98 character in them. This is sort of a juvenile Vash, in my read. A much more cowardly one, which I think Stampede has been doing its best to highlight.

Also AFAIK, I'm pretty sure I read an interview that stated that Nightow was consulted on this and played a hand in helping set the direction when this got pitched and picked up. Getting rid of the GHGs for instance was probably something he suggested, since they ended up being sort of a proto-Eye of Michael by the end anyway. Might be wrong, though.

They probably will just make them straight up Eye of Michael or in a similar type of group.
If GHG will be incorporated in Stampede then it probably will be created by Legato and not Knives. Since Stampede did home in How Knives hates humans even into his character design which Knives don't really wear "Human traditional Clothing", and his cloak is his actual Knives produced from his plant powers. And the assassin crew in Stampede is more of a team assembled by Conrad. And since Conrad serves Knives basically makes Knives the groups top leader.
Apr 17, 2023 9:38 PM

Nov 2009
Sonson7 said:

But in Stampede it seems they made an addition of their Hair Standing up after awakening their plant powers.

So... Super Saiyan... LOL
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Apr 19, 2023 4:45 AM

Oct 2009
Sonson7 said:
Like the OG anime straight up killed Knives, which straights up deviates the story as Knives won't be in the OG anime anymore even if the OG adapted the "Trigun maximum" content.
Just to pop up and say : no they didn't ;)
Vash KO'ed him, refused to kill him, and took him unconscious highly suggesting "Hey let me take care of him and reform him".
MonsieurPapillonApr 19, 2023 5:01 AM
Apr 19, 2023 3:16 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
That fight between Nai and Vash was intense that I almost cried. Nai was right about the humans because no how much good Vash tries to do good for them they will always hate him no matter what now that July was destroyed in the process. You can say that Vash does more harm than good for the humans and he just doesn't know it because he doesn't know how to be a hero. All he does is run away with that already massive bounty on his head for the rest of his life. For someone who has never watched the original late 90s version or read the manga I actually enjoyed it. I feel like this anime really captures the essence of Trigun which is a sci fi spaghetti western. The CG animation made it feel like I was watching a movie. I also liked how this anime focused on Nai and Vash's past and present relationship which makes it feel like a prequel to a bigger story. Wolfwood was one of my favorite characters as The Punisher. JYB did an excellent job reprising his role as Vash for the second time in the English dub. Can't wait for the sequel to the remake as things are just getting started.

8/10

Apr 23, 2023 2:55 PM

Jan 2021
Well, that ending was slightly underwhelming, but I mean... A second season would be nice.
Apr 30, 2023 6:03 PM

Mar 2017
That was one hell of a finale for one hell of an anime! Seriously one of the best anime I’ve seen in a while. I can’t find any fault in it - perfect from start to finish in every way!

My heart absolutely broke that Vash couldn’t save Nai but I think Nai was gone a very long time ago in every way but physically. I just hope Vash can find a small piece of happiness (which might happen cause it looks like he’s lost his memory).

I haven’t seen/read the original material but I’m guessing this was a prequel to the OG series? It looks that way (from my limited knowledge of the franchise)
Kitty-KateApr 30, 2023 6:20 PM
Apr 30, 2023 6:04 PM

Mar 2017
Hayley2877 said:
Well, that ending was slightly underwhelming, but I mean... A second season would be nice.

It’s getting a second season. It was announced pretty much as soon as season one ended
May 19, 2023 10:04 AM
Feb 2023
Does anyone know the VA for independent Chronica ? She sounds so familiar to me
May 21, 2023 4:52 AM

Sep 2011
Well that was... something. I had no doubts about the high quality animation since it's Orange but oof, they really didn't know where to take Vash's character in this series, and the story really suffered for it.

Also I find it funny that people would rag on the 98 anime as being less faithful to the manga when it actually managed to adapt the original tone and more arcs straight from the source wherein the staff were clearly working off of Nightow's notes before Maximum started (Nightow even included some of the anime-original characters in the manga later on). 

Anyway, there's so many structural issues with Stampede's story and handling of Vash/Knives's conflict, and most of them come from the fact that it can't decide which parts it wants to borrow from the 98 anime AND the manga that it starts to lose its own foundations because of the inconsistencies. So yeah, I'm actually disappointed with how messy this turned out, and I say this as someone who was actually excited for this adaptation and even defended its new designs against many naysayers. At this point, I just wish we can get a proper adaptation of Maximum in the same vein as Kekkai Sensen.
ronriMay 21, 2023 5:00 AM
May 23, 2023 6:17 AM

Jul 2015
Cool final fight and also nice to see Vash's characteristic spiky hair. Overall good remake and while I miss the goofiness of the original and I disliked some changes (like Milly excluded), I do like that Stampede is more plot-driven instead of episodical and also appreciate the nice cgi.

May 26, 2023 9:11 PM
Jul 2014
amazzzzzzing episode
May 27, 2023 1:59 PM

May 2018
That final battle between Vash and Knives was fucking epic!

Vash is made the scapegoat for every major disaster…even COVID.

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
May 29, 2023 6:41 PM

Sep 2011
Now that I've had some time to let things sink in, I really dislike how this episode re-used some of the dialogue from the manga in a far less effective way that it actually hurts Vash's character.

In the manga, when Knives asks Vash for his answer, Vash answers for both of them. He specifically posits a solution wherein if the humans hunted them both down, both Vash and Knives could lie low, and through time and longevity as Plants, they could start over and make attempts to reach out to humans. Vash posits that this process can be repeated time and again due to their prolonged life as Plants. In the manga, it was the culmination of Vash's maturity as a person, since he actually offers a solution for both himself AND Knives. Knives being the immature one rejects this and basically prefers to keep himself in a bubble.

Stampede reuses this same dialogue exchange but slightly alters it in such a way that it actually hurts Vash's argument. Vash disowns Knives as his brother (saying he doesn't recognize him anymore) and this betrays the entire point of Rem's final gesture in asking Vash to look after Knives during her farewell. With Vash establishing this distance between himself and Knives, he gives his answer only for himself, saying how he'd pick the side of humans over Knives even when they're hunting him down, elaborating that as time goes on, he'd always run back to them and take their side. This reuses key argumentative points from the manga dialogue but it changes some of the context in a way that it turns Vash's mature solution into something far more similar to Stockholm Syndrome. 

Where the manga/98 anime depicts Vash's various adventures in different towns, Stampede almost entirely skips out on Vash's experiences with humans save for his stay in Jeneora Rock. It makes Vash's argument really weak and unsubstantiated compared to the manga where he answers for both himself and Knives due to his many experiences.

It's one of the emblematic things that I really dislike about Stampede: it reuses scenes and elements from the 98 anime and the manga but it alters them in small ways that the dialogue/scene in question become far less effective in execution. When past versions have tackled the same scenes/dialogue far more effectively and maturely, you're basically left with a watered down version of the same story beats.
ronriMay 30, 2023 12:20 AM
Jun 4, 2023 3:46 PM
May 2020
Man... that was really kind of mediocre. So much deadair and a lack of significance in so many episodes just to build up to a second season.
Was that intentional? Cause that looked intentional.
Jun 7, 2023 3:02 PM

Feb 2012

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 15, 2023 9:00 AM
Nov 2015
The ending was so dramatic; I'm not sure if they've announced a second season.
Jul 25, 2023 12:05 AM
Nov 2021
What a masterpiece 
Aug 14, 2023 12:04 AM
Jan 2022
NogueraB said:
Amazing animation but horrible story, was a nice tentative to revive Trigun with a remake but... Why not create a sequel to the first anime or a real adaptation to TV ? Why create such marvel anime ? They lost a  nice chance and created a "ok" series carried most by the animation than others variables. 

Was a Ok 6/10 anime.

cause the fcking 98 anime was all filler, so stfu, they are actually trying to adapt the manga unlike the 98 which had no story whatsoever
Aug 15, 2023 7:26 AM
Aug 2023
Yasuki_29 said:
NogueraB said:
Amazing animation but horrible story, was a nice tentative to revive Trigun with a remake but... Why not create a sequel to the first anime or a real adaptation to TV ? Why create such marvel anime ? They lost a  nice chance and created a "ok" series carried most by the animation than others variables. 

Was a Ok 6/10 anime.

cause the fcking 98 anime was all filler, so stfu, they are actually trying to adapt the manga unlike the 98 which had no story whatsoever

Are you really as stupid as you sound?
Aug 15, 2023 7:53 AM
Jan 2022
Xtripl said:
Yasuki_29 said:

Are you really as stupid as you sound?

if I am stupid then ur retarded, have u even read the manga, even when I watched the 98 manga, I felt that something was off, there was no story progression and no depth to nai's character, he literally just wanted to kill the humans for no reason whatsoever no purpose nothing, on the other hand vash characterization is close to the manga in trigun stampede, where in 98 anime they just made him into a goof ball, I just couldn't emotionally connect to his character. I don't mean hate to hate on the 98 anime, I thought it was fun but it just didn't had the story to keep me intrigued and I just didn't liked most of the characters and didn't feel for them, I actually felt sad for vash, wolfwood and nai in the new remake and they atleast provided a reason as to why the characters are as they are. In the 98 anime vash didn't had any character development, the character development which occured in the near end of trigun was kinda forced (atleast for me). The only moment in 98 trigun which I could say, I actual felt sad was the wolfwoof scene aside from that I can't recall any remarkable moments from the anime. Also every fcking bastard hating on the new adaptation cause of the animation are fcking stupid, I dunno how anyone can look at the animation and not think that it looks beautiful, they are just disregarding all the effort that animators put into the adaptation. Personally speaking it is the best looking cgi I have ever seen. Also in the 98 anime they literally removed the part bout the project seeds (if u know, u know)
conclusion, the 98 trigun fans (not all of them) don't even care to give the new adaptation a try and just make presumption that it is bad and spread misconception bout it that it is bad and discourage everyone else to watch it as well, that's why I fcking hate the 98 trigun fans hating on it and I think it is one of the most toxic fanbase ever
Aug 17, 2023 10:44 PM

Sep 2011
Filler? I question how anyone can act like Stampede is somehow more faithful to the manga beyond the lore. Even with its limited material, the original anime actually adapted full story arcs from the manga and that's accounting for the fact that the manga hadn't even finished at the time of its production. Stampede by comparison is a reboot with its own choice aesthetic that decidedly avoided adapting the source material, opting for its own original spin on the events while heavily taking inspiration from the manga and the original anime. Acting like this is somehow a faithful adaptation of Trigun Maximum is just pure nonsense, especially when modern adaptations like Hunter X Hunter (2011) or FMA: Brotherhood exist doing just that.

Considering their work on Kekkai Sensen, I wish a studio like Bones would actually do a proper adaptation of Maximum, not whatever this is trying to be.
ronriAug 17, 2023 11:11 PM
Aug 19, 2023 9:46 AM
Jan 2022
Not sure where the controversy is coming from...this has been a great series :)
Aug 28, 2023 4:17 AM

Apr 2015
Woah I enjoyed this so much especially considering I've read the manga. They changed so much stuff here and there but all in all it was supposed to be a modernized approach to Trigun so in that regard I really liked it.
8/10.
Definitely hyped for season 2!
Nov 5, 2023 11:45 AM
Dec 2021
Não fica pra trás do original
Nov 15, 2023 10:47 PM

Dec 2020
Interesting anime while still feeling some lacklusters, mostly toward to the depth of some characters and the way story end is not very conclusive.

This series does has potentials, a second season definitely make sense and helps S1.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Is anyone else extremely bothered by the art and animation? ( 1 2 )

NB_Tenchy - Jan 9, 2023

76 by AkaiSanji »»
Oct 13, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Trigun Stampede Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 4, 2023

79 by arminsluvr1 »»
Oct 12, 8:35 AM

» Which Trigun should I watch?

Dhrunto - Jul 30

30 by JoeChip »»
Oct 3, 10:06 AM

Poll: » Trigun Stampede Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2023

71 by ANIk_003 »»
Aug 25, 10:38 AM

Poll: » Trigun Stampede Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2023

89 by Gloominscammer »»
Jun 9, 7:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.