Forum Settings
Forums

'Love Live! Superstar!!' Gets Third Anime Season

New
Oct 9, 2022 9:16 AM
News Team
Aug 2019

The 12th and final episode of the Love Live! Superstar!! 2nd Season television anime announced a third anime season, revealing an announcement promo.

A public audition to join the third generation of the idol group Liella! will open on November 1.

Produced by Sunrise, the idol series' first anime season aired in Summer 2021, followed by the second anime season in Summer 2022.

Love Live! Superstar!! is the fourth series in the Love Live! franchise, created by animation studio Sunrise, music label Lantis, and media company Kadokawa.

Synopsis
Everyone has a dream they strive to achieve, and so does the musically talented Kanon Shibuya. However, due to her stage fright, Kanon fails to make it into Yuigaoka Girls' High School's music program and instead ends up in the general curriculum. Even though Kanon makes the conscious decision to quit music altogether, her classmate Tang Keke rekindles Kanon's passion for music with her own: a passion for school idols.

Although Keke and Kanon try to form a school idol group, their effort meets strong objections from Ren Hazuki, the daughter of the school's director. Even so, the girls soon visit the director, who allows them to set up their school idol club under one condition—they must win first place at the Yoyogi School Idol Festival.

The resilience of these aspiring idols is put to the test as they face the challenges that come their way. Throughout their journey, the girls make new friends and meet new members that join them to become the dazzling idols others can only imagine. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Announcement

Official site: https://www.lovelive-anime.jp/yuigaoka/
Official Twitter: @LoveLive_staff

Source: Comic Natalie

Love Live! Superstar!! 3rd Season on MAL
Hyperion_PSOct 9, 2022 7:09 PM
Oct 9, 2022 9:24 AM
Sep 2017
Imagine if this is also scheduled to air next year, so then we have new animated material for three groups at the same time. (Aqours has the Yoha spinoff sometime 2023, Niji has Nijiyon starting in January)
Oct 9, 2022 9:26 AM

Apr 2014
The first Love Live series to break the 2 seasons TV series tradition.
btw, there will be an open audition for a new member as well - https://www.lovelive-anime.jp/yuigaoka/audition/
AkeZZZOct 9, 2022 9:36 AM
何それ?意味分かんない
Oct 9, 2022 9:34 AM

Nov 2008
Does this really need 3 seasons? I could understand if Liella won 2nd place or lost completely, an OVA or movie could've been nice to wrap it up though.

Oct 9, 2022 9:44 AM

Apr 2012
AkeZZZ said:
The first Love Live series to break the 2 seasons TV series tradition.
btw, there will be an open audition for a new member as well - https://www.lovelive-anime.jp/yuigaoka/audition/

And this is at a time when their new all-female Gundam (for the first time?) gets a split cour for 25-26 episodes. Maybe they've just come to terms with the fact that all-female waifu bait and content in general is their safest business at the moment?

Hoppy said:
Does this really need 3 seasons? I could understand if Liella won 2nd place or lost completely, an OVA or movie could've been nice to wrap it up though.

It brings in money, so need it. I wonder if the time will come when we start getting a new Love Live every year and the veterans will impress the normies with the fact that the studio once targeted on action content for male audiences as "did you know?".
Oct 9, 2022 9:47 AM

Apr 2012
TARDISES said:
Imagine if this is also scheduled to air next year, so then we have new animated material for three groups at the same time. (Aqours has the Yoha spinoff sometime 2023, Niji has Nijiyon starting in January)

Should this surprise? At the moment Love Live is being milked even harder than real idol brands like AKB48. I do not scold anyone, however, everything has its own audience.
Oct 9, 2022 9:48 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Interesting decision, I should really catch up with the last few eps to see what the hype is all about.

For Liella to have broken the two-season tradition though, consider me surprised.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 9, 2022 10:26 AM
Jul 2019
RobertBobert said:
TARDISES said:

Should this surprise? At the moment Love Live is being milked even harder than real idol brands like AKB48. I do not scold anyone, however, everything has its own audience.

This is why I've stuck with Nijigasaki. They have actual voice actresses, some of which are very popular outside Love Live!, and they don't try to act as idols.
nevergainOct 9, 2022 10:31 AM
Oct 9, 2022 10:36 AM

Apr 2012
nevergain said:
RobertBobert said:

This is why I've stuck with Nijigasaki. They have actual voice actresses, some of which are very popular outside Love Live!, and they don't try to act as idols.

Now they just take real female singers? Judging by the latest bands in Bandori, Bushi also began to learn from this experience.
Oct 9, 2022 10:42 AM

Nov 2008
RobertBobert said:
TARDISES said:

It even has a Vtuber group, granted it doesn't look so hot unlike everything else coming out, especially since it's new characters and not say established characters like other anime character Vtuber projects (Di Gi Charat, Sister Princess, Jashin-chan, etc.)

Oct 9, 2022 10:44 AM
Jul 2019
RobertBobert said:
Now they just take real female singers? Judging by the latest bands in Bandori, Bushi also began to learn from this experience.

Nope, that actually applies more with u's and some of Aqours.

Liella! had open public auditions (basically a talent search) and currently has 3 members that had no experience or didn't train to be voice actors prior to joining Love Live!

Liyuu is the one that is already a "real singer" but she's way more popular as a cosplayer.

While the rest passed the usual auditions (through talent agencies) but they have almost no voice acting experience.

So yeah, Liella! are really closely marketed as real idols while Nijigasaki is far from that.

nevergainOct 9, 2022 10:52 AM
Oct 9, 2022 10:50 AM

Apr 2012
Hoppy said:
RobertBobert said:

It even has a Vtuber group, granted it doesn't look so hot unlike everything else coming out, especially since it's new characters and not say established characters like other anime character Vtuber projects (Di Gi Charat, Sister Princess, Jashin-chan, etc.)

I generally get the impression that the Japanese show business has become more desperate than ever lately. For example, AKB48 has become obsessed with the business yuri even more than the VA of any waifu bait franchise, and Gulty Gear is trying to become a woke to make the most of its new popularity among kids in the west. To the point that even their own Japanese audience does not understand this. And at this time, anime seems to be experiencing its maximum peak. It's interesting what led to this.
Oct 9, 2022 10:53 AM

Apr 2012
nevergain said:
RobertBobert said:

Nope, that actually applies more with u's and some of Aqours.

Liella! had open public auditions (basically a talent search) and currently has 3 members that had no experience or didn't train to be voice actors prior to joining Love Live!

Liyuu is the one that is already a "real singer" but she's way more popular as a cosplayer.

While the rest passed the usual auditions (through talent agencies) but they have almost no voice acting experience.

So they turned the franchise into something like a huge mixed media project where people are already auditioning to get into the next installment of the franchise?
Oct 9, 2022 11:10 AM
Jul 2019
RobertBobert said:
So they turned the franchise into something like a huge mixed media project where people are already auditioning to get into the next installment of the franchise?

It's preferable to get really new promising talents and sign them in exclusive contracts because they're cheap and they can focus mainly on Love Live! That was the case for most of Aqours (during their first 4-5 years) and currently with Liella!

Nijigasaki's audition process was different, most of them had some voice acting experience already and they were mainly supposed to just voice the characters for the game, they were treated like a side project during those first 2 years but the cast grew quite popular within and outside the LL fanbase. The characters are also currently some of the most popular and dominate the LL fanart/doujin scene.

nevergainOct 9, 2022 11:14 AM
Oct 9, 2022 11:34 AM

Apr 2014
Liella! prefer only new people because they can be 100% focused on Love Live. Because the well-known ones will be busy with their other work. Like with Aqours nowadays when everyone is busy with their own work.
As for Nijigasaki, they are a side project at first, so they did not serious that much about seiyuu's schedule. And because most of their performances are solo. Even today when they are popular, and they can still manage their schedule.
Love Live is also being a good entrance for new talent.
何それ?意味分かんない
Oct 9, 2022 11:56 AM

Apr 2012
nevergain said:
RobertBobert said:

It's preferable to get really new promising talents and sign them in exclusive contracts because they're cheap and they can focus mainly on Love Live! That was the case for most of Aqours (during their first 4-5 years) and currently with Liella!

Nijigasaki's audition process was different, most of them had some voice acting experience already and they were mainly supposed to just voice the characters for the game, they were treated like a side project during those first 2 years but the cast grew quite popular within and outside the LL fanbase. The characters are also currently some of the most popular and dominate the LL fanart/doujin scene.

I'm just not a big fan of that much commercialization of franchises. You literally see that all decisions are made solely for the sake of money, and in the case of different generations, you simply stop remembering and meaningfully following this. It's like trying to be a fan of Morning Musume or AKB48. Participants change like employees in a supermarket and at some point you just start to follow individual participants, ignoring the entire team as too big an object to track.
Oct 9, 2022 9:31 PM

Mar 2015
love live is so big in japan
Oct 9, 2022 9:39 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Oh wow can't believe its reach the third season already. Nijigasaki short, Sunshine spin-off, and now this. Keep em coming!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Oct 10, 2022 2:43 AM

Oct 2017
Third love live season is now a thing, nice.
Oct 10, 2022 6:22 AM
Mar 2018
This fiirst time i see love live series get third season instead a movie after season 2
Oct 10, 2022 7:26 AM

Feb 2019
Oh, that's a surprise. 2 seemed to be the limit up till now. Well, I prefer Liella to Niji, so I can't complain, even if the last season was a significant drop.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Oct 10, 2022 10:13 AM

Apr 2013
Just remind and inform for those actually not follow Love Live franchise, these are some of their next projects:
- LL Sunshine In The Mirror TV animation
- Nijiyon's Nijigasaki spinoff TV animation (maybe short eps)
- Just announced this LL Superstar Season 3 TV animation
- LL V-tubers (or known as L-tubers), but doesn't no yet what actually project is, TBA
- LL: The School Idol Musical, live stage-theater act with new group, cast etc., maybe later may have their own series
- LL All Star rhythm-mobile game will continue their story to season 3
- Brand renew of LL School Idol Festival 2 rhythm-mobile game that will include all groups & songs
- Full with live concert event through out all the active groups & sub-unit groups
Oct 10, 2022 11:16 AM

May 2012
They should have made 3rd season for original Love Live. Way better than this in every way
Oct 11, 2022 8:11 AM

Mar 2013
I have yet to watch the 2nd season but I'm happy to see this news! Love it!
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Oct 11, 2022 6:11 PM

Mar 2013
thepath said:
They should have made 3rd season for original Love Live. Way better than this in every way
Some of their VAs don't really want to be involved in Love Live! anymore, lol
Oct 15, 2022 10:54 AM
Sep 2020
KADOKAWA really sets its own standard of Japanese entertainment.

You literally see that all decisions are made solely for the SAKE OF MONEY

It's preferable to get really new promising talents and sign them in exclusive contracts because they're CHEAP
幸福にはそれ自身の目的があります

More topics from this board

» 'Naze Boku no Sekai wo Daremo Oboeteinai no ka?' Reveals Additional Cast, Character Promo

Nioxys - 27 minutes ago

0 by Nioxys »»
27 minutes ago

» 'Detective Conan' Creator's 'Yaiba' Manga Receives New Anime

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

13 by RobertBobert »»
2 hours ago

» 'Kusuriya no Hitorigoto' Second Season Announced

Nioxys - Mar 23

22 by arnicahealth »»
7 hours ago

» Manga 'Tougen Anki' Gets TV Anime in 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by thebrentinator24 »»
Yesterday, 7:33 PM

» 'Tensei shitara Dainana Ouji Datta node, Kimama ni Majutsu wo Kiwamemasu' Reveals Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - May 6

2 by ST63LTH »»
Yesterday, 7:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.