Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (13) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 »
Jul 28, 2019 8:38 PM

Mar 2016
isahbellah said:
Ironclad_Cobra said:

Pretty sure it wouldn't since it's published in a propper magazine, but I could be wrong

in that case, i'll wait for someone else's answer just to be sure... lol
thanks anyway!

Ok so after going to double-check this one I'd say it's not a doujin by any standard that we'd normally go by. From what I can tell from the tone of it all the 'offical doujin' thing is basically just a big non-canon sticker.
Jul 28, 2019 8:42 PM

Jul 2013
@ironclad_cobra gotcha!!!! which is a real shame, 'cause i honestly thought it was a doujin :/
but at least i'm glad i got an answer before putting it on the list. thank you so much!!

Jul 28, 2019 8:49 PM

Mar 2016
@isahbellah
No worries. It's usually pretty easy to tell what's what when it comes to doujins 'cause they won't have anything listed under serialization for the most part, with the exception of the odd one or two that get picked up after the fact
Jul 29, 2019 2:05 AM
Jul 2018
List of online magazines?
Jul 29, 2019 8:12 AM
Jul 29, 2019 2:32 PM

Dec 2016
AudioTsunami said:
ScarletCelestial said:
I.25: Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread

^ (cough) (cough) would prefer something with 10 or less volumes, but not essential.

Isshuukan Friends.
Sayonara Sorcier

Thanks for the recs, gonna read Sayonara Sorcier.
Jul 29, 2019 11:01 PM

Apr 2011
Anyone know a good manga, about 50-60 chapters long, that was originally published as a One-Shot. This one challenge is a nightmare. I've tried Komi-san and SWOT so far, but neither interested me enough to continue.... well, SWOT is just shit, actually.

Also, a manga revolving around mythology or folklore, preferably Japanese or Nordic mythology. Kinda hard to find this one by myself.
Jul 30, 2019 6:34 AM

Mar 2013
yhunata said:
Anyone know a good manga, about 50-60 chapters long, that was originally published as a One-Shot. This one challenge is a nightmare. I've tried Komi-san and SWOT so far, but neither interested me enough to continue.... well, SWOT is just shit, actually.

Also, a manga revolving around mythology or folklore, preferably Japanese or Nordic mythology. Kinda hard to find this one by myself.

Does the one that was originally based on a one-shot have to be 50-60 chapters? I don't think it says anything about that. The recommended one on the front page is Imawabi no Dakini but it's only 16 chapters.

For folklore there are a pile of options: Natsume's Book of Friends, Ran and The Grey World, Kekkaishi, Ushio to Tora, Spice and Wolf, Mononoke Soushi, Soul Eater, Uratarou, Vinland Saga, Record of Ragnarok.
Jul 30, 2019 7:30 AM

Mar 2013
isahbellah said:
@ironclad_cobra gotcha!!!! which is a real shame, 'cause i honestly thought it was a doujin :/
but at least i'm glad i got an answer before putting it on the list. thank you so much!!

just search by doujin dude. it's literally in the database.
Jul 30, 2019 8:25 AM

Jul 2013
AudioTsunami said:
isahbellah said:

just search by doujin dude. it's literally in the database.

the thing is, i had a hard time finding a doujin that interested me AND that i could find (because i found some but they weren't in the database)

and i already read kaguya-sama so... if it could fit the criteria, it'd be great lol but i decided to go for some other item

Jul 30, 2019 10:57 AM

Apr 2011
AudioTsunami said:
yhunata said:

Does the one that was originally based on a one-shot have to be 50-60 chapters? I don't think it says anything about that. The recommended one on the front page is Imawabi no Dakini but it's only 16 chapters.

For folklore there are a pile of options: Natsume's Book of Friends, Ran and The Grey World, Kekkaishi, Ushio to Tora, Spice and Wolf, Mononoke Soushi, Soul Eater, Uratarou, Vinland Saga, Record of Ragnarok.

Nah, that's just the length I prefer. Thanks for the recommendations.
Jul 30, 2019 4:52 PM

Apr 2013
isahbellah said:

the thing is, i had a hard time finding a doujin that interested me AND that i could find (because i found some but they weren't in the database)

You can just link any database they're in, and we'd check them out. :)
Aug 5, 2019 5:11 PM

Jul 2016
Hullo, a question and a request!

(Ad.13) Read a manga that another participant has completed for this challenge.
[[What exactly does this mean/want me to look at? Is it just any manga that people have read for the reading challenge overall?]]

(Ad.19) Read a random manga assigned to you by a challenge staff member.
[[ @MRC_mod Please and thank you ^^ ]]
Aug 5, 2019 6:47 PM

Mar 2016
Alipanda said:
Hullo, a question and a request!

(Ad.13) Read a manga that another participant has completed for this challenge.
[[What exactly does this mean/want me to look at? Is it just any manga that people have read for the reading challenge overall?]]

Exactly. You pick any participant and read anything that they have completed for their challenge. Just link to their post when you do so. :)

(Ad.19) Read a random manga assigned to you by a challenge staff member.
[[ @MRC_mod Please and thank you ^^ ]]

Here's your random manga rec: NASA. Hope you have fun!
Aug 5, 2019 6:48 PM

Jul 2016
Thank you very much! :D
Aug 9, 2019 6:50 AM
Jul 2018
(I.10) Read a manga that has been adapted to drama CD. (list some that aren't yaoi pls)

(I.25) Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread.

ty in advance
Aug 9, 2019 8:29 AM

Mar 2017
Gythia said:
(I.10) Read a manga that has been adapted to drama CD. (list some that aren't yaoi pls)

(I.25) Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread.

ty in advance

I noticed Aria, Barakamon, and Denpa Kyoshi in your PTR. Those all have drama CDs.

As for a recc, Helck is a great fantasy story.

Aug 9, 2019 8:40 AM

Mar 2016
Gythia said:

-> Adapted to Drama CD

ty in advance

Annarasumanara
Chikan Otoko
Gozen 3-ji no Muhouchitai
Necromancer
Onani Master Kurosawa
Planetes
Solanin
Threads of Time
Yeonmo
Yuureitou
SchlopsiAug 9, 2019 12:19 PM
Aug 10, 2019 11:45 AM

Dec 2016
@MRC_mod

Random manga for Ad.19 please!
Aug 10, 2019 11:59 AM
Aug 12, 2019 3:07 AM

Jun 2016
Hey there,
(Ad.19) Read a random manga assigned to you by a challenge staff member. Can you help? :) ty!

Aug 12, 2019 5:36 AM

Mar 2016
L0ro said:
Hey there,
(Ad.19) Read a random manga assigned to you by a challenge staff member. Can you help? :) ty!

You got Ayane Ojousama wa Sanoba Bocchi ni Araserareru, hope you enjoy it
Aug 13, 2019 4:45 AM

Jun 2016
Hey there again,
is A Small World valid for (Ad.18)Read a manga with only one English letter in the title.? If not can you tell me some mangas? :D
Thanks in advance!

Aug 13, 2019 6:13 AM

Mar 2016
L0ro said:
Hey there again,
is A Small World valid for (Ad.18)Read a manga with only one English letter in the title.? If not can you tell me some mangas? :D
Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately it doesn't count since there are way more english letters in the title than just one.
Here are some titles for you, to get an idea of it:
X-Tai Shinsho
X
Q
Initial D
Aug 13, 2019 1:32 PM

Nov 2014
tamochinnn said:
@MRC_modSection 4. Advanced
Read a random manga assigned to you by a challenge staff member.

Would prefer BL or Horror, less than 100 chapter(if possible).

It's truly randomly assigned so we can't decide that, but it seems you got really lucky this time!
Hope you have a good time :D Binetsu Kakumei
Aug 13, 2019 1:38 PM

Mar 2016
tamochinnn said:
Read a random manga assigned to you by a challenge staff member.

Would prefer BL or Horror, less than 100 chapter(if possible).

We don't have much of an influence of what you'll get, just saying. All we do is looking for completed stuff and taking care that it isn't *too* long, when hitting the surprise-button. ;)
Edit: fraideii was faster :D
Aug 13, 2019 3:07 PM

Mar 2016
@tamochinnn I don't think it is exactly stated, except for the random part. It's just for transparency that we try to explain how we come up with those titles ;)
Hope you have fun with your assigned manga! We are glad you've joined us for the challenge. :)
Aug 14, 2019 6:41 AM

Mar 2016

Please let the recs coming in. :)

As I'm doing another challenge simultaneously, I could need recs tagged with one of the following genres: Demons, Harem, Magic, Mecha, Parody, Space or Super Powers. They are not a must, but I'm not into those genres, so a little help from you would be super appreciated.

As always, I'm looking for something finished, length doesn't matter *that* much. "Unpopular titles" seem to be more interesting to me, too.
Thank youuu!
Aug 14, 2019 7:02 AM

Jul 2017
Schlopsi said:

As I'm doing another challenge simultaneously, I could need recs tagged with one of the following genres: Demons, Harem, Magic, Mecha, Parody, Space or Super Powers. They are not a must, but I'm not into those genres, so a little help from you would be super appreciated.

As always, I'm looking for something finished, length doesn't matter *that* much. "Unpopular titles" seem to be more interesting to me, too.
Thank youuu!

Here are a few. =)

Beelzebub (Demons)
Chimamire SUkeban Chainsaw
Densetsu no Yuusha no Konkatsu (Harem)
Inawa no Kuni no Alice
Makai no Ossan (Demons)
Pluto (Mecha)
Shigurui
Spirit Circle

Aug 14, 2019 6:04 PM

Mar 2016
Armandoriel said:
Here are a few. =)

Thanks (again)! Picked up Makai no Ossan, but can use some of the other recs later on as well. :)
Aug 15, 2019 10:02 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
A question about the item with the single English letter! I have this entry which works since it's only the letter W and the other English word is in katakana, HOWEVER, it also uses the English word in English as a subtitle. MAL uses only the katakana word as the Japanese title, but I wanted to be sure it would pass. Thank you!
Aug 15, 2019 11:38 AM
Jul 2018
Schlopsi said:

Please let the recs coming in. :)

Thank youuu!

Here are a few,
Medaka Box(super power, parody)
Kami nomi zo shiru sekai(harem)
Planetes (Space)
Pluto (mecha)

not so popular titles/other recommendations-
Black Jack ni Yoroshiku
Chichi to Hige-Gorilla to Watashi
Machida-kun no Sekai
The Music of Marie

Also a question here, when can we expect another update in challenge completion list?
Aug 15, 2019 7:32 PM

Mar 2016
Maffy said:
A question about the item with the single English letter! I have this entry which works since it's only the letter W and the other English word is in katakana, HOWEVER, it also uses the English word in English as a subtitle. MAL uses only the katakana word as the Japanese title, but I wanted to be sure it would pass. Thank you!

We talked about it and yes, you can use it :) Have fun!

@Frosty Thanks for the reccos! Many of them are on my ptr already, since they look promising. I did read Planetes, which was super cool. I really need to find something, that catches up with it in some sense, since it was so impressing. The oneshot for Medaka Box was entertaining, but I'm not sure if I can pull through 22 volumes with the premise of it.
I haven't heard of Black Jack ni Yoroshiku yet, is it in some way related to the Black Jack series? It doesn't look like it, but before I dive into it, I want to make sure.

We have a handful of forms left to check, so you will be up with the next batch. Depending on if we remember it, one of us might as well update the list later.
Aug 15, 2019 8:46 PM
Jul 2018
Schlopsi said:

I did read Planetes, which was super cool. I really need to find something, that catches up with it in some sense, since it was so impressing. The oneshot for Medaka Box was entertaining, but I'm not sure if I can pull through 22 volumes with the premise of it.
I haven't heard of Black Jack ni Yoroshiku yet, is it in some way related to the Black Jack series? It doesn't look like it, but before I dive into it, I want to make sure.

We have a handful of forms left to check, so you will be up with the next batch. Depending on if we remember it, one of us might as well update the list later.

Uchuu Kyoudai is similarly a great space manga, problem is that it's ongoing.
No, Black jack ni yoroshiku isn't related to the Black Jack series in any way, it's a completely different kind of manga.

Thanks for the information.
Aug 16, 2019 4:30 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
@Schlopsi Thank you very much <3
Aug 17, 2019 1:34 PM

Apr 2013
tamochinnn said:
Quick question:
The entries, where I am required to read manga below certain number
It should have actual number ranking, or can I use manga that has N/A beside ranking?
Cannot check at the moment, but I think I've included such entry (manga that's suppose to be below certain number ranking, but I choose manga with n/a ranking) in my challenge, and I'm wondering if it's going to be "invalid" at the inspection.

Thank you in advance~

Has to be ranked. :)
Aug 19, 2019 8:48 AM

Mar 2016
Any good rec for (I.23) Read a manga about space.?
I've read Planetes and enjoyed it a lot. Would prefer hard-scifi, but I'll take what you throw at me (as long as it's complete).
Aug 19, 2019 9:13 AM

Mar 2017
Schlopsi said:
I've read Planetes and enjoyed it a lot. Would prefer hard-scifi, but I'll take what you throw at me (as long as it's complete).

Kanata no Astra (aka Astra Lost In Space). Has spaceship travel, planet hopping, and xenobiology among other things.
Aug 19, 2019 9:24 AM

Mar 2016
BrainpanSonata said:
Schlopsi said:

Kanata no Astra (aka Astra Lost In Space). Has spaceship travel, planet hopping, and xenobiology among other things.

Thank you. Was recommended ST&RS as well, so gonna make a spontaneous decision.
Aug 19, 2019 11:31 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
Baaaaaaack with another question. This time about the yakuza item (btw, Innocent W is horrible, stay away!). I found this in which the male main character is heir to yakuza, so they are involved one way or another, but it's mostly school focused I suppose judging by the cover. Would it count?
Aug 19, 2019 12:06 PM

Mar 2016
Maffy said:
Baaaaaaack with another question. This time about the yakuza item (btw, Innocent W is horrible, stay away!). I found this in which the male main character is heir to yakuza, so they are involved one way or another, but it's mostly school focused I suppose judging by the cover. Would it count?

Maybe I should delete Innocent W from my ptr then, haha. Thanks for the warning!

Looking at the prominent "Mafia" and "Yakuza/s" tag on mangaupdates, you can use Kaichou-kun no Shimobe. Also if she is the heir of a yakuza (which takes a lot of the item in account already) despite they aren't as prominent in the story, we don't mind it. Hope that one is better than your other choice. :D
Aug 19, 2019 12:21 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
@Schlopsi I gave Innocent W a 1 and I don't easily give a 1. It didn't help that the illegal version online is double-paged and tiny, which made understanding perspectives even harder, haha. But hey, if you are into senseless gore, then be my guest since it does have some creativity in that domain :^)

And thank you once again <3 I did find it through mangaupdates, but it seemed too comedy/school to be truly yakuza so I searched for some info on it, until I stumbled on the fact that he is the yakuza heir, haha.
Aug 19, 2019 12:31 PM

Mar 2016
Maffy said:
[...]
And thank you once again <3 I did find it through mangaupdates, but it seemed too comedy/school to be truly yakuza so I searched for some info on it, until I stumbled on the fact that he is the yakuza heir, haha.

Oof, guess I'll pass for real then. Don't need twice of an hassle. ^^

No probs! We rely on those tags a lot, since not everyone of us has the time to read all the manga our participants read for their challenges. *cough* If it looks suspicious, we would give it a call, but the tags are so dominant for this title so it passes the first glance test. ;D
If you definitely want to make sure, leave a little note in which chapter we can find the proof for him being a yakuza-heir. That helps us a lot.
Aug 19, 2019 7:58 PM

Apr 2013
Schlopsi said:

since not everyone of us has the time to read all the manga our participants read for their challenges. *cough*

👀 Hmm. Am I being called out?
Aug 19, 2019 8:35 PM

Mar 2016
HeNrYTG50 said:
Schlopsi said:

since not everyone of us has the time to read all the manga our participants read for their challenges. *cough*

👀 Hmm. Am I being called out?

I had to leave room for some exceptions... ;)
Sep 11, 2019 3:30 PM

Jan 2014
I'm always confused with this category.
When they mean a popularity below 1000, do they mean 1001, 1002 or 999, 998 etc
i know the link directs you to the 1000 limit but I wanted to make sure

@Schlopsi alright, thank you! :D
TransienceSep 12, 2019 6:02 AM
Sep 11, 2019 4:04 PM

Mar 2016
Transience said:
I'm always confused with this category.
When they mean a popularity below 1000, do they mean 1001, 1002 or 999, 998 etc
i know the link directs you to the 1000 limit but I wanted to make sure

It is meant as 'less popular', so it's 1001, 1002,..., 5000, 5001, etc.
Sep 11, 2019 4:30 PM

Dec 2015
19. Read a random manga assigned to you by a challenge staff member.

@MRC_mod Thank you in advance!
Sep 11, 2019 5:04 PM

Mar 2016
CoolCatCraze said:

There you go: Chimoguri Ringo to Kingyobachi Otoko.
Sep 11, 2019 9:51 PM

Apr 2013
Schlopsi said:
CoolCatCraze said:

There you go: Chimoguri Ringo to Kingyobachi Otoko.

Ooh, that's a good one!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (13) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 »

More topics from this board

» 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MRC_mod - Jan 20

157 by BrainpanSonata »»
3 hours ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1066 by Saori_Shun »»
4 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

385 by PurpleViola »»
Yesterday, 5:12 AM

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

29 by Synrax »»
May 2, 1:49 PM

» Western Studio Adaptation of Berserk (Thoughts?)

FlydayEthan - May 2

0 by FlydayEthan »»
May 2, 11:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.