Forum Settings
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 26, 2019 3:04 AM

Jan 2018
Chihayafuru is one of the most painful manga I've ever read... cuz I'm supporting my boi Taichi (relate to him A LOT, seeing him lose will break my soul...)

Who's winning goddammit????

Mod edit: Added spoiler tag to the title
DeadlyRavenJan 20, 2020 3:51 AM

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 26, 2019 8:39 AM
Mar 2015
Right now no one Arata is practicing with Shinobu for the Meijin/Queen finals which makes Chihaya who is practicing for the same event and studying for the Center feel isolated from them. Chihaya has promised to reply to Arata's confession after the Queen final,but they have only spoken briefly at the Challenger Final after the promise to reply was made in July
Taichi has been avoiding Chihaya Right now he is studying for the Center exam and the Todai Med School exam He is also trying to see how he can help Suo and his family
Feb 26, 2019 8:54 AM

Jan 2018
landofthekwt said:
Right now no one Arata is practicing with Shinobu for the Meijin/Queen finals which makes Chihaya who is practicing for the same event and studying for the Center feel isolated from them. Chihaya has promised to reply to Arata's confession after the Queen final,but they have only spoken briefly at the Challenger Final after the promise to reply was made in July
Taichi has been avoiding Chihaya Right now he is studying for the Center exam and the Todai Med School exam He is also trying to see how he can help Suo and his family

Based on wut you just said, Arata is winning.... GODDAMMITTTTTT

Mar 23, 2019 10:40 PM
Oct 2012
Judging by the wiki, it seems the author cave in to the fans and is shifting it to Taichi, as he is the fan-favorite. Not surprising, authors usually do do this unless the intended love interest is super obvious, and even then. I have no dog in the fight so I don't really care either way but for most of the story, she did seem to be more interested in Arata. Though Arata did start to get less and less screen-time, which should had been an obvious sign I suppose.
Mar 23, 2019 11:58 PM

Jan 2018
Asap said:
Judging by the wiki, it seems the author cave in to the fans and is shifting it to Taichi, as he is the fan-favorite. Not surprising, authors usually do do this unless the intended love interest is super obvious, and even then. I have no dog in the fight so I don't really care either way but for most of the story, she did seem to be more interested in Arata. Though Arata did start to get less and less screen-time, which should had been an obvious sign I suppose.

NANI?!?!?!??!
IS THIS TRUE???

WILL MA BOI TAICHI GET THA GIRL?!?!?!!??!!??!!??!?!

Mar 25, 2019 11:14 AM

Oct 2012
Asap said:

do you have a link?
Mar 26, 2019 10:01 AM

Nov 2007
Like the other wiki that said certain characters from Hibike! are homosexuals in the original work? Or like the wiki that leaked the author made last minute changes in the final volume of SaeKano to give the ending to another girl?

Believing in wiki/reddit/4chan that sprouts nonsense without any credible link is worse than the nonsense that are put in those sites. I have been following Sensei for years and she shares basically everything in her twitter, including her day to day life happenings.

The only bomb she ever dropped in the past few years is that she intended to end the manga this year, which was also very recently. Nothing significant of note other than that.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 10, 2019 2:49 PM

Oct 2012
Thus far, we have no idea on who's winning. Only the end will tell. Suetsugu is a sly author. Even in Eden no Hana she was sure to hide her true intentions for a long time. Don't believe the wiki lol Who Chihaya is going to end up with is still a mystery. We can only wait for the end of the manga.

The fandom is always screaming "ARATA ENDGAME" "TAICHI ENDGAME" whenever a small scene of Taichi x Chihaya or Arata x Chihaya comes out. I try to ignore it the most, because honestly people are just desperate. I have my obvious biases and beliefs, but I can never be sure - no one can ever be. Only Suetsugu knows who's Chihaya is going to end up with, and I believe we won't know until the very last chapter.
Apr 12, 2019 7:21 PM
Apr 2019
I hope taichi will win..
Apr 13, 2019 12:50 AM

Jan 2018
Jica said:
I hope taichi will win..

We can only hope bruhh

TAICHI 4 THA WIN

Apr 15, 2019 12:01 AM

Sep 2012
As someone that's caught up with the manga, I say Arata. Really the groundwork for Arata x Chihaya has been there since the beginning IMO-the way she reacts to seeing Taichi and Arata for the first time a while says it all. She's happy to see Taichi, but with Arata she bawls and keeps on repeating how much she wanted to see him. It has always been different with Arata. Despite some readers not wanting to admit this. The biggest argument against the ship seems to be that Chihaya's feelings for him are too tied to karuta, but I completely disagree with this sentiment and even if it were true, I fail to see how this is a negative in a manga that revolves around karuta. I mean every single relationship in this manga is somehow connected by it. Even the relationship Chihaya has with Taichi-in case some readers may have forgotten. Someone in a thread pointed out how her and Taichi were only able to get closer due to them building the Mizusawa club together and she was right. Them being connected through karuta goes back even further to the very beginning. When they were kids, Taichi and Chihaya were mere classmates that would play together. That was as deep as their bond went, until Taichi decides to join up with both Chihaya and Arata and what do those three bond over? Karuta. It was karuta that allowed Taichi to connect with Chihaya on a sincere and heartfelt level even as kids and it only works with Arata in the picture since he was the that taught them both karuta was something bigger. Arata and Chihaya though? They would have connected on that deeper level-which they already did which was one of the reasons Taichi had a complex towards Arata-without Taichi entering the picture. Where does Taichi confess? In the clubroom. When does he return to them? During important karuta matches. You can trace almost anything and everything back to karuta in this manga. My point is that every single relationship of our heroine's-with the exception of her family-is connected by karuta on some level. Us readers even see this in chapter 213. Chihaya is at the shrine with some of the members of the Mizusawa club and she starts to pray. What pops into her mind when recalling the likes of Kanade, Tsutomu, and Nishida? How they showed their care and love for her through helping her prep for the Queen matches. As I stated already, I fail to see how the relationship between Arata and Chihaya being deeply woven by their shared passion for karuta is suppose to be a bad thing. Another thing I just have to mention is how Suetsugu has already spoiled us a bit on the Chihaya and Shinobu bond. In an old interview-before Shinobu is even introduced into the story-she describes Shinobu as the person Chihaya will spend her life alongside as they both dedicate their lives to karuta. With that statement alone Suetsugu has confirmed two big things. The first being that the passion and love and dedication Chihaya has towards karuta will never die out, she will never outgrow it and this is something I feel readers need to take into consideration when they think about shipping. Second that Shinobu will be her closest companion in life. Now if Suetsugu has no qualms about Shinobu being her dearest friend in life-a person who's relationship with Chihaya is entrenched in karuta-then why wouldn't the same thing apply to our heroine's future romantic partner? Why wouldn't Chihaya end up with the one who's passion can match hers? The one who shook up and changed her entire world? The one who made her realize that she needed to discover her own dream? People love to downplay Arata and his importance, but there would be no Chihayafuru if he didn't exist because he was the one to shake up her world. Nothing nor no one else. Do I have any idea how Chihaya x Arata will happen? No, only Suetsugu does. I just believe that her response to his confession will be a positive one and that we'll get another match between them due to chapter 166. Chihaya tells Arata that she wants another match-due to not remembering how she beat him-but it doesn't happen. The manga started with their (fated) meeting so I can see it ending with a match between them after they both obtained the Meijin & Queen titles. Let's no forget how a pairing I feel we all love-Kana x Tsutomo-came about due to them being in the same club. Do they share an intense passion and love for karuta? No, but it brought them together.

Can Taichi x Chihaya happen? Of course since Suetsugu can go whatever way she pleases and desires. She could even go with an ending where Chihaya doesn't get with anyone. It's just that in order for Chihaya to end up with anyone but Arata, I personally feel that her character would need to be completely rewritten and if the manga is going to reach the climax this October-by climax I'm hoping Suetsugu meant the start of final matches and nothing further-then I don't see it happening. Chihaya is Chihaya. As long as she loves karuta, she'll always love Arata IMO. Same on his side.
possession1981Apr 15, 2019 1:16 AM
The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free.
Apr 15, 2019 12:19 AM

Oct 2018
I hope chihaya ended with arata...taichi is good, but I like arata more than taichi.
Apr 15, 2019 3:02 AM

Jan 2018
possession1981 said:
As someone that's caught up with the manga, I say Arata. Really the groundwork for Arata x Chihaya has been there since the beginning IMO-the way she reacts to seeing Taichi and Arata for the first time a while says it all. She's happy to see Taichi, but with Arata she bawls and keeps on repeating how much she wanted to see him. It has always been different with Arata. Despite some readers not wanting to admit this. The biggest argument against the ship seems to be that Chihaya's feelings for him are too tied to karuta, but I completely disagree with this sentiment and even if it were true, I fail to see how this is a negative in a manga that revolves around karuta. I mean every single relationship in this manga is somehow connected by it. Even the relationship Chihaya has with Taichi-in case some readers may have forgotten. Someone in a thread pointed out how her and Taichi were only able to get closer due to them building the Mizusawa club together and she was right. Them being connected through karuta goes back even further to the very beginning. When they were kids, Taichi and Chihaya were mere classmates that would play together. That was as deep as their bond went, until Taichi decides to join up with both Chihaya and Arata and what do those three bond over? Karuta. It was karuta that allowed Taichi to connect with Chihaya on a sincere and heartfelt level even as kids and it only works with Arata in the picture since he was the that taught them both karuta was something bigger. Arata and Chihaya though? They would have connected on that deeper level-which they already did which was one of the reasons Taichi had a complex towards Arata-without Taichi entering the picture. Where does Taichi confess? In the clubroom. When does he return to them? During important karuta matches. You can trace almost anything and everything back to karuta in this manga. My point is that every single relationship of our heroine's-with the exception of her family-is connected by karuta on some level. Us readers even see this in chapter 213. Chihaya is at the shrine with some of the members of the Mizusawa club and she starts to pray. What pops into her mind when recalling the likes of Kanade, Tsutomu, and Nishida? How they showed their care and love for her through helping her prep for the Queen matches. As I stated already, I fail to see how the relationship between Arata and Chihaya being deeply woven by their shared passion for karuta is suppose to be a bad thing. Another thing I just have to mention is how Suetsugu has already spoiled us a bit on the Chihaya and Shinobu bond. In an old interview-before Shinobu is even introduced into the story-she describes Shinobu as the person Chihaya will spend her life alongside as they both dedicate their lives to karuta. With that statement alone Suetsugu has confirmed two big things. The first being that the passion and love and dedication Chihaya has towards karuta will never die out, she will never outgrow it and this is something I feel readers need to take into consideration when they think about shipping. Second that Shinobu will be her closest companion in life. Now if Suetsugu has no qualms about Shinobu being her dearest friend in life-a person who's relationship with Chihaya is entrenched in karuta-then why wouldn't the same thing apply to our heroine's future romantic partner? Why wouldn't Chihaya end up with the one who's passion can match hers? The one who shook up and changed her entire world? The one who made her realize that she needed to discover her own dream? People love to downplay Arata and his importance, but there would be no Chihayafuru if he didn't exist because he was the one to shake up her world. Nothing nor no one else. Do I have any idea how Chihaya x Arata will happen? No, only Suetsugu does. I just believe that her response to his confession will be a positive one and that we'll get another match between them due to chapter 166. Chihaya tells Arata that she wants another match-due to not remembering how she beat him-but it doesn't happen. The manga started with their (fated) meeting so I can see it ending with a match between them after they both obtained the Meijin & Queen titles. Let's no forget how a pairing I feel we all love-Kana x Tsutomo-came about due to them being in the same club. Do they share an intense passion and love for karuta? No, but it brought them together.

Can Taichi x Chihaya happen? Of course since Suetsugu can go whatever way she pleases and desires. She could even go with an ending where Chihaya doesn't get with anyone. It's just that in order for Chihaya to end up with anyone but Arata, I personally feel that her character would need to be completely rewritten and if the manga is going to reach the climax this October-by climax I'm hoping Suetsugu meant the start of final matches and nothing further-then I don't see it happening. Chihaya is Chihaya. As long as she loves karuta, she'll always love Arata IMO. Same on his side.

That was some really long shit bruh.. but I'll always be TEAMTAICHI4LYFE you know wut Im sayin...

Apr 15, 2019 3:08 AM

Jan 2018
Stoorainclaire said:
I hope chihaya ended with arata...taichi is good, but I like arata more than taichi.

nonononoonononononononno NOONONOONO

TEAM TAICHI 4 LYFE YOU HEAR ME!?!?!?

Taichi is just really fucking relatable mann, I used to really like this girl that was kinda like Chihaya, and she, as well, kept looking at another dude EVEN THO I WAS ALWAYS WITH HER... please dont let Taichi end up like me..\

yeaa spoiler alert, I didn't get the girl, she went with the other dude... and strangely enough, the dude wears GLASSES...

Apr 17, 2019 10:13 AM

Nov 2007
Dave_Adrian said:

yeaa spoiler alert, I didn't get the girl, she went with the other dude... and strangely enough, the dude wears GLASSES...

Is that the reason why you started wearing sunglasses? Seriously, you look like a younger version of the last samurai in your forum ava. No hard feelings.

Real spoiler alert: Chihaya will be rejected by Arata for making him wait over Karuta. Arata will confess to Shinobu but will be rejected because she found someone she liked-romantically. Taichi will accept Shinobu's eventual confession and the two will start dating. Chihaya will marry Meijin Suou because all she ever wanted was marrying to Karuta. Arata will regret rejecting Chihaya and will leave home in a soul searching journey where he will meet Dual Onigiri Master Rion, Arata will end up falling in love with Rion after she will reveal that she wants to make two onigiri for the rest of her life.

Meanwhile, Sumire-chan will be confessed to by the hottest guy in her college-- Suzuhiro who fell in love with her seeing her efforts to improve her karuta play but she will be having a hard time because of the pretty boy--Kirishima in her Karuta club challenged their handsome Karuta-captain--Mikigawa in the upcoming regionals and the one to win will get to date her. Basically, she will have her own harem surrounding Karuta in the spinoff manga titled すみれぐる which is one dakuten different from すみれくる which means "Coming Back to the Shades of Violet", a story that starts off with three boys fighting over winning the heart of Sumire-chan all the while she constantly finds herself striving to become better in Karuta instead of agonizing over choosing her eventual lover.

An apparent heart-throbbing shoujo harem romcom by the look of it but in realty a story of coming of age in ages of a girl who only ever chased pretty boys throughout her almost entire youth finds herself in search of giving the little youth she has left the meaning she never thought of-- her youth cannot end as a youth of an average girl.

Even if you did not see it coming, Suetsugu Yuki-sensei will have no problem making her the protagonist of her spinoff manga. And all the fools who once thought Chihaya should be the only one for Taichi will regret overlooking Sumire-chan reading it.
shanimebibApr 17, 2019 10:17 AM
Coronavirus.
Apr 17, 2019 10:24 AM

Aug 2018
I don't see Arata losing to Taichi bcz Chihaya is head over heels in love with Arata

"I want to show that woman the true Yoshikage Kira. I want her to hear how I feel deep inside. That I want to take your slender neck into these hands and strangle you to death."

Apr 17, 2019 11:43 AM

Jan 2018
shanimebib said:
Dave_Adrian said:

Is that the reason why you started wearing sunglasses? Seriously, you look like a younger version of the last samurai in your forum ava. No hard feelings.

Real spoiler alert: Chihaya will be rejected by Arata for making him wait over Karuta. Arata will confess to Shinobu but will be rejected because she found someone she liked-romantically. Taichi will accept Shinobu's eventual confession and the two will start dating. Chihaya will marry Meijin Suou because all she ever wanted was marrying to Karuta. Arata will regret rejecting Chihaya and will leave home in a soul searching journey where he will meet Dual Onigiri Master Rion, Arata will end up falling in love with Rion after she will reveal that she wants to make two onigiri for the rest of her life.

Meanwhile, Sumire-chan will be confessed to by the hottest guy in her college-- Suzuhiro who fell in love with her seeing her efforts to improve her karuta play but she will be having a hard time because of the pretty boy--Kirishima in her Karuta club challenged their handsome Karuta-captain--Mikigawa in the upcoming regionals and the one to win will get to date her. Basically, she will have her own harem surrounding Karuta in the spinoff manga titled すみれぐる which is one dakuten different from すみれくる which means "Coming Back to the Shades of Violet", a story that starts off with three boys fighting over winning the heart of Sumire-chan all the while she constantly finds herself striving to become better in Karuta instead of agonizing over choosing her eventual lover.

An apparent heart-throbbing shoujo harem romcom by the look of it but in realty a story of coming of age in ages of a girl who only ever chased pretty boys throughout her almost entire youth finds herself in search of giving the little youth she has left the meaning she never thought of-- her youth cannot end as a youth of an average girl.

Even if you did not see it coming, Suetsugu Yuki-sensei will have no problem making her the protagonist of her spinoff manga. And all the fools who once thought Chihaya should be the only one for Taichi will regret overlooking Sumire-chan reading it.

What the actual fuck did I just read bruh?
Hav u been smokin sum bad doobies?

And yes, I do look good wearing shades

Apr 19, 2019 8:51 PM

Oct 2012
shanimebib said:
Dave_Adrian said:

Dude, stop spoiling everyone! So rude!
Also, goddammit Suetsugu, why won't you let Makoto and Rion be a thing for once!
Apr 24, 2019 12:25 AM
Jul 2018
Taichi cut his hair. Cutting hair usually happens when a character decides to move on. Though it mostly for woman when it comes to manga, I think it's an obvious sign that Chihaya will not end up with Taichi.
Apr 24, 2019 10:32 AM

Jan 2018
Iyya said:
Taichi cut his hair. Cutting hair usually happens when a character decides to move on. Though it mostly for woman when it comes to manga, I think it's an obvious sign that Chihaya will not end up with Taichi.

Nonononononono no no NO NO NO NO!!!!!!

MY BOI TAICHI NEEDS TO WIN GODDAMMIT!!!!

Apr 24, 2019 9:48 PM

Oct 2012
Iyya said:

I agree Taichi is trying hard to move on............but that reaction from Chihaya when he cut his hair was definitely the most excessive!!! She was in total shock!

Yes he is trying: saying he doesn't know how he feels anymore, that his feelings are probably fading (again note Chihaya's reaction!) but in the end can't help himself but take care of Chihaya by sending Sumire a message to cheer her up.

This all might be a warning from the mangaka, something like 'I already hinted you guys what would happen!' if she ends up with Arata, which could be really very plausible.

But.........it also could be a big fat feint...........and have Taichi and Chihaya be end game. There is enough out there to make this ship very plausible as well.

TBH both ships are pretty weak at the moment. It's all because we don't have any insight of what Chihaya is really thinking and this cat and mouse play is getting a bit tiresome........sigh.
Apr 24, 2019 10:56 PM

Dec 2016
possession1981 said:

wow this was such an amazing piece of writing I enjoyed reading and agree with your statement. I mean chihaya even says she will always love karuta and always love Arata, that by itself proves that not only are they directly linked but it also shows that her feeling for Arata are deeper and more than just friends with Taichi. Tbh If chihaya gets shipped with tacihi or Arata I’ll be happy either way this was such an amazing ride but if she ends up with Arata it would be that much amazing.
Apr 25, 2019 12:25 AM

Jan 2018
chiakimagoto said:

But.........it also could be a big fat feint...........and have Taichi and Chihaya be end game. There is enough out there to make this ship very plausible as well.

YEAAA TAICHI ENDGAME!!!! SEND THAT MOFO TO KILL THANOS OR SOMETHING!!!!

Apr 25, 2019 12:35 AM

Apr 2014
Arata for the win muhahaha
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

Apr 25, 2019 12:50 AM

Jan 2018
AcceleratorAngel said:
Arata for the win muhahaha

awwww heeelllll nahhhh bruhh... u want sum beatdown or somethin?

Apr 25, 2019 5:12 AM
Jul 2018
chiakimagoto said:
Iyya said:

I agree Taichi is trying hard to move on............but that reaction from Chihaya when he cut his hair was definitely the most excessive!!! She was in total shock!

Yes he is trying: saying he doesn't know how he feels anymore, that his feelings are probably fading (again note Chihaya's reaction!) but in the end can't help himself but take care of Chihaya by sending Sumire a message to cheer her up.

This all might be a warning from the mangaka, something like 'I already hinted you guys what would happen!' if she ends up with Arata, which could be really very plausible.

TBH both ships are pretty weak at the moment. It's all because we don't have any insight of what Chihaya is really thinking and this cat and mouse play is getting a bit tiresome........sigh.

I don't think her shocking was due to Taichi's hair, rather that they three are there. The build up in the recent chapters shows how Taichi slowly gets less role, and Arata more role. About Taichi sending Sumire to cheer Chihaya up, I think it just is the way the author gives Taichi more role as it would be strange if he suddenly disappears after how much his impact on the manga so far, especially on Chihaya's growth.
Apr 25, 2019 5:15 AM

Aug 2016
I feel bad for taichi let him take chihaya already!
Arata x shinobu should be
Apr 25, 2019 7:41 AM

Oct 2012

I don't think her shocking was due to Taichi's hair, rather that they three are there. The build up in the recent chapters shows how Taichi slowly gets less role, and Arata more role. About Taichi sending Sumire to cheer Chihaya up, I think it just is the way the author gives Taichi more role as it would be strange if he suddenly disappears after how much his impact on the manga so far, especially on Chihaya's growth.

Nah, that was about his hair, even Arata was a bit taken back by it..........lol. But Chihaya was just aghast!

Yeah, ofcourse you could be right, but nothing's ended yet, till it's printed in black and white. I feel there have been many moments Chihaya was deeply affected by Taichi.....and ofcourse Arata has a big role in her little karuta bubble. But I feel that since the confession, something has changed in Chihaya. Anyway, I guess we are soon going to find out what's going on in her heart...........now is the time to have everything unfold.............

I feel bad for taichi let him take chihaya already!
Arata x shinobu should be

I really feel that Arata and Shinobu have so much chemistry! They are so cute together, so at ease, so funny and adorable.........I just feel that Arata and Chihaya don't really know eachother that well in the end.

Apr 25, 2019 8:52 AM

Sep 2012
Goku3761 said:
wow this was such an amazing piece of writing I enjoyed reading and agree with your statement. I mean chihaya even says she will always love karuta and always love Arata, that by itself proves that not only are they directly linked but it also shows that her feeling for Arata are deeper and more than just friends with Taichi. Tbh If chihaya gets shipped with tacihi or Arata I’ll be happy either way this was such an amazing ride but if she ends up with Arata it would be that much amazing.

Thank you! I’ve never really bothered with discussing the romance, but I’ve really warmed up to Chihaya x Arata. I forget which chapter it was, but I know there’s a panel where Chihaya declares that what she learned that day was Arata’s passion-I’m certain she was still a child when she said this. In chapter 93, she declares that she wants to become a person who can respond to that kind of passion-the passion that belongs to Arata. To top it all off there’s chapter 166. Chihaya wants another match with Arata, but it doesn’t happen. I personally feel Suetsugu has another match planned for them in the future and that his confession/proposal will be delicately tied into it. If I am right and we get another match between them then that’s where I believe the romantic outcome will be settled-and like others I feel like who Chihaya ends up with will be revealed at the very end. It’s only fitting that the manga ends with majority of the focus on Chihaya and Arata since those two started everything. Though this is all my speculation of course. Only Suetsugu knows how the rest of the story will pan out-but it does feel like she is going back to her roots now that she settled the story of Taichi.
possession1981Apr 25, 2019 8:57 AM
Apr 25, 2019 12:09 PM

Nov 2007
Like I said in countless times over here and in the AS forums. Gotta rewrite Chihaya if that is to happen. There is nothing not told. Even Kana-chan realized the meaning behind Chihaya's words. Taichi is better off moved on. His ultimate growth will be only possible once he moves on.
Coronavirus.
Apr 26, 2019 7:44 AM

Oct 2012
I don't think Chihaya should be rewritten if she would end up with Taichi. It would be a great development to see her mature.

She has been so naïve, oblivious and innocent about her own feelings, it would be great to have her understand what Taichi's departure really meant to her in the end. He needed to leave for her to understand which part he took in her life. They needed to separate, like the Chiha card: you give it up to take it back again, just because you cherish it so much.

I don't deny Arata's role in all of this...........but we can't deny Taichi's either and the impact he has had on Chihaya.

Nothing is written in stone yet.
Apr 26, 2019 8:31 PM

Jan 2018
shanimebib said:
Like I said in countless times over here and in the AS forums. Gotta rewrite Chihaya if that is to happen. There is nothing not told. Even Kana-chan realized the meaning behind Chihaya's words. Taichi is better off moved on. His ultimate growth will be only possible once he moves on.

But my boi Taichi needs to win mannn... I don't want him to end up like me... *sobs*

Apr 26, 2019 9:12 PM

Nov 2007
chiakimagoto said:
I don't think Chihaya should be rewritten if she would end up with Taichi. It would be a great development to see her mature.

She has been so naïve, oblivious and innocent about her own feelings, it would be great to have her understand what Taichi's departure really meant to her in the end. He needed to leave for her to understand which part he took in her life. They needed to separate, like the Chiha card: you give it up to take it back again, just because you cherish it so much.

I don't deny Arata's role in all of this...........but we can't deny Taichi's either and the impact he has had on Chihaya.

If that helps you feel better you are open to feel that way.

I 100% agree with your last sentence. However, the Chihaya Taichi loves is for her naïvety, obliviousness and innocent take on life itself, let alone her own feelings. Add to that her passion and drive which resolves around Karuta and Arata.

Changing the Chihaya using the notion of her becoming 'a matured person' so that she will 'end up with Taichi' kills the person she is and kills the Chihaya that Taichi loves.

I feel like I am repeating the same thing in Harumatsu and Hibike forums.

Anyways, I think I will give the whole romance a rest and will focus more on the upcoming games and see where it takes us. No matter what I get, it will remain a 10/10 for me because of giving me so many memorable moments. I judge a story by the journey and not just the ending. And it sure has been a wonderful ride. :)
Coronavirus.
Apr 26, 2019 10:49 PM

Jan 2018
shanimebib said:
chiakimagoto said:

I 100% agree with your last sentence. However, the Chihaya Taichi loves is for her naïvety, obliviousness and innocent take on life itself, let alone her own feelings. Add to that her passion and drive which resolves around Karuta and Arata.

Changing the Chihaya using the notion of her becoming 'a matured person' so that she will 'end up with Taichi' kills the person she is and kills the Chihaya that Taichi loves.

Anyways, I think I will give the whole romance a rest and will focus more on the upcoming games and see where it takes us. No matter what I get, it will remain a 10/10 for me because of giving me so many memorable moments. I judge a story by the journey and not just the ending. And it sure has been a wonderful ride. :)

'Part of the journey is the end'- endgame iron man

If the ending sucks balls, It can't become a 10/10..

Apr 27, 2019 12:17 AM

Oct 2012
shanimebib said:

I think if the Chihaya doesn't change in this coming of age story, something would be wrong (I'm not necessary saying she has to end up with Taichi though, even if I still wish she does). But like she said when Harada and Arata were playing for the challenger spot: maybe she would have rooted for Arata if she still had been the child from the Chihayafuru team, but she already wasn't anymore: she rooted as hard as she could for Harada sensei. Chihaya has been growing up and changing......but I sure would have liked to see more of it......because of the triangle, I feel we didn't get the insight in Chihaya's thoughts; I would really have liked to see that so much more!

Anyway, even if Sensei might disappoint me in the end, and being a Taichi fans has been pretty torturing ride........the journey has brought me so many good things, and great discussions about the story, poems, flower symbolism, strategy and romance, and ofcourse the beautiful art.......i'll always be grateful for it.
( ͡^ ͜ʖ ͡^ ) and when it ends (=^﹏^=), oh my!
Apr 27, 2019 9:18 AM

Sep 2012
chiakimagoto said:

Literally no one denies how important Taichi is to Chihaya, it’s always the other way around. You don’t deny the role of Arata, but you certainly do diminish it. Even if your previous post you stated that Arata has a big role in her little karuta bubble, and every reader should know by now that karuta isn’t a little thing in this series especially since this is a karuta manga. I posted in the Taichi thread a long time ago, but never bothered again due to not caring about the romance (at the time) which was and still is a major topic there. These days I just wait for the spoilers to drop and read the insights of various users, but a lot of you have a major bias against Arata which I feel keeps you very narrow-minded-and those that like him ship him off with Shinobu. I think a lot of you need to understand that this isn’t the story of Taichi-he wasn’t even suppose to be a main character in the first place so you guys should be grateful that Suetsugu went a different direction-it’s the story of Chihaya. Always has been, always will be.

shanimebib said:

However, the Chihaya Taichi loves is for her naïvety, obliviousness and innocent take on life itself, let alone her own feelings. Add to that her passion and drive which resolves around Karuta and Arata.

Bloop! It’s jarring how many Taichi fans seem to miss this. The Chihaya they endlessly complain about and even insult is the Chihaya that Taichi fell in love with. I don’t even think Chihaya is oblivious to love due to chapter 92. In which she states that she will always love or like Arata along with karuta. Taichi has no way of knowing who she’s talking to or what they’re talking about due to the distance, but his expression says it all. He knows who she’s talking. He knows it could only be that guy. He knows only Arata is capable of making Chihaya make such an expression. He knows that Chihaya has begun to understand her feelings for Arata, something Taichi picked up a long time ago-Kana too if I’m not mistaken. Then in the next chapter when Kana tells him that Chihaya won’t stay a blind naive fool forever-due to the poems she wrote-Taichi lets her know that he is aware. On the topic of romance, chapter 92 was very much a turning point for Chihaya and Suetsugu herself confirmed in an interview that Chihaya’s romantic feelings for Arata is something that’s running throughout the entire manga.
possession1981Apr 27, 2019 9:42 AM
Apr 27, 2019 10:49 AM
Mar 2015
Suetsugu herself said that it was the journey she prized and not the end.(although she does have a plan for the end)
When Umino asked what she thought about Team Arata and Team Taichi fan groups she stated that she was for Team Karuta
Apr 27, 2019 11:17 AM

Oct 2012
Which interview did Suetsugu san confirm Chihaya's romantic feelings? A link would be nice...never read that one....She didn't do that much interviews, I wonder when it was?

Oh yeah, if you pop in to the Taichi thread, you'll find we overal have a major bias for Taichi, lol. I don't deny that I don't care much for Arata, even if I have to admit his role in the story.

I've been rereading the volumes these last 2 days (I only have them up to 27) in my language. I still have the same feelings about the manga, even if I try to pay more attention to Arata.......it's hopeless. Call me narrowminded if you like, I don't care.

It's Suetsugu san's story........... even if I might be disappointed in the end, I've already had a great journey with this manga. And you may be very right about Chihaya's feelings, there have been multiple hints she is in love with Arata(but Taichi had his moments as well).........being a Taichi fan has always been a torture fest, so we might as well endure. I hope it will be a very well written ending for all and maybe a surprise? Things will only end when that moment arrives.....so whatever will be, will be..........

Apr 27, 2019 11:19 AM
Oct 2009
possession1981 said:

Bloop! It’s jarring how many Taichi fans seem to miss this. The Chihaya they endlessly complain about and even insult is the Chihaya that Taichi fell in love with. I don’t even think Chihaya is oblivious to love due to chapter 92. In which she states that she will always love or like Arata along with karuta. Taichi has no way of knowing who she’s talking to or what they’re talking about due to the distance, but his expression says it all. He knows who she’s talking. He knows it could only be that guy. He knows only Arata is capable of making Chihaya make such an expression. He knows that Chihaya has begun to understand her feelings for Arata, something Taichi picked up a long time ago-Kana too if I’m not mistaken. Then in the next chapter when Kana tells him that Chihaya won’t stay a blind naive fool forever-due to the poems she wrote-Taichi lets her know that he is aware. On the topic of romance, chapter 92 was very much a turning point for Chihaya and Suetsugu herself confirmed in an interview that Chihaya’s romantic feelings for Arata is something that’s running throughout the entire manga.

I kind of feel like some people downplay the importance when Chihaya said she'd love Arata for the rest of her life. The fact that Suetsugu decided to show us the Chihayaburu card, the most important card in the story, when Chihaya said this implies it is much more than just some crush or idolizing. I mean think about what the meaning is behind the poem. I don't think Suetsugu would have Chihaya betray the Chihayaburu poem by being inconsistant with it by having her keep loving one thing, karuta, while falling out of love with another, Arata. That wouldn't make sense narratively considering it's her namesake card and the manga itself is named after it. And why would she only fall out of love with Arata but still love karuta? That would basically be sending two different messages through the Chihayaburu poem, both of which are complete opposite of each other.

Suetsugu said in an interview that she wants to convey the sense of "a love that cannot be undone." I think she's going to do this with Chihaya through her poem, which I'm assuming is the reason why she had Chihaya say she'd love Arata for the rest of her life with the Chihayaburu card showing.
Apr 27, 2019 11:52 AM

Sep 2012
chiakimagoto said:
Which interview did Suetsugu san confirm Chihaya's romantic feelings? A link would be nice...never read that one....

Joint interview with Umino. Here’s the link https://karice.wordpress.com/2016/03/13/p495/. Umino declared that she can feel the romantic feelings Chihaya has for Arata in which Suetsugu responds that is something that’s running through the entire manga and that apart of that admiration due to Arata being strong at karuta.

It’s fine if you don’t care for Arata, but this is the story of Chihaya. Not Taichi.

ShrewOne said:

I kind of feel like some people downplay the importance when Chihaya said she'd love Arata for the rest of her life. The fact that Suetsugu decided to show us the Chihayaburu card, the most important card in the story, when Chihaya said this implies it is much more than just some crush or idolizing. I mean think about what the meaning is behind the poem. I don't think Suetsugu would have Chihaya betray the Chihayaburu poem by being inconsistant with it by having her keep loving one thing, karuta, while falling out of love with another, Arata. That wouldn't make sense narratively considering it's her namesake card and the manga itself is named after it. And why would she only fall out of love with Arata but still love karuta? That would basically be sending two different messages through the Chihayaburu poem, both of which are complete opposite of each other.

Suetsugu said in an interview that she wants to convey the sense of "a love that cannot be undone." I think she's going to do this with Chihaya through her poem, which I'm assuming is the reason why she had Chihaya say she'd love Arata for the rest of her life with the Chihayaburu card showing.

People definitely do downplay that moment which is is just irritating for several reasons. The main one being that downplaying that moment feeds into the whole “Chihaya is dumb and naive and has never experienced romantic feelings cause she just loves karuta hahahaha” narrative which is just false because we have panels of Chihaya thinking of Arata in a romantic context and if anyone needs proof then I’ll be more than happy to point them to the exact chapter.

I agree with your sentiment. I do believe she was talking about Arata x Chihaya, and that them falling for each other was inevitable. In a guidebook that came out about a month ago, we have a few pages that feature confessions and romantic moments between different characters. Chihaya x Arata got the first page and on their page it states something along the lines of “Karuta addiction” and “A story of their love”. I don’t know if the statement was for all of the pairings, or for Chihaya x Arata solely, but if it was the latter-which I do think it was due to the karuta addiction line-then that’s just another confirmation on who Chihaya will end up with. The second “story of their love” statement basically lines up with the synopsis that can found in every-well I believe it’s in every volume-volume which is “Their feelings come together radiantly in this story of their youth. Their story now begins”. The synopsis doesn’t mention Taichi, only Arata and Chihaya 😗. I’m not going to pretend that the guidebook or synopsis are a huge factor in everything, but it’s something interesting to take note of. The manga has more than enough proof anyways IMO.
possession1981Apr 27, 2019 12:15 PM
Apr 27, 2019 11:55 AM

Oct 2012
ShrewOne said:

I don't think Suetsugu would have Chihaya betray the Chihayaburu poem by being inconsistant with it by having her keep loving one thing, karuta, while falling out of love with another, Arata. That wouldn't make sense narratively considering it's her namesake card and the manga itself is named after it. And why would she only fall out of love with Arata but still love karuta? That would basically be sending two different messages through the Chihayaburu poem, both of which are complete opposite of each other.

Maybe the deal was done in volume 17........that could be more than true! Lots of water has flowed under the bridge since, lots of things happened. Yes, it could already be over when it comes to the romance.............but let us Taichi fans have a little more fun till it ends (⁀ᗢ⁀). We have discussed all of this very thoroughly already in another thread (I don't think I have the energy to start over here) and are more than conscious how things could play out. So yeah, you guys are probably right all through.........but that little twing of doubt is still hovering.....it only ends when it ends.

If personally I prefered Taichi's part in the story, I don't see what's wrong with that..........I'm afraid Chihaya's part just isn't as interesting. This is my personal opinion and I admit, Taichi's arc is the one that made me read and buy the manga's: so, good for Suetsugu san, she made a living with me contributing to her work! Even if her heroine didn't reach me. ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯ (there is so much about this manga i have come to love, Taichi is maybe the first reason, but there are so so many others!)

btw "The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free." interesting quote..........mmmmmm...........I could almost say that to Taichi!
chiakimagotoApr 27, 2019 12:30 PM
Apr 27, 2019 6:48 PM

Jan 2018
chiakimagoto said:
ShrewOne said:

I don't think Suetsugu would have Chihaya betray the Chihayaburu poem by being inconsistant with it by having her keep loving one thing, karuta, while falling out of love with another, Arata. That wouldn't make sense narratively considering it's her namesake card and the manga itself is named after it. And why would she only fall out of love with Arata but still love karuta? That would basically be sending two different messages through the Chihayaburu poem, both of which are complete opposite of each other.

Maybe the deal was done in volume 17........that could be more than true! Lots of water has flowed under the bridge since, lots of things happened. Yes, it could already be over when it comes to the romance.............but let us Taichi fans have a little more fun till it ends (⁀ᗢ⁀). We have discussed all of this very thoroughly already in another thread (I don't think I have the energy to start over here) and are more than conscious how things could play out. So yeah, you guys are probably right all through.........but that little twing of doubt is still hovering.....it only ends when it ends.

If personally I prefered Taichi's part in the story, I don't see what's wrong with that..........I'm afraid Chihaya's part just isn't as interesting. This is my personal opinion and I admit, Taichi's arc is the one that made me read and buy the manga's: so, good for Suetsugu san, she made a living with me contributing to her work! Even if her heroine didn't reach me. ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯ (there is so much about this manga i have come to love, Taichi is maybe the first reason, but there are so so many others!)

btw "The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free." interesting quote..........mmmmmm...........I could almost say that to Taichi!

Seeing a lot of people agreeing ChihayaxArata is set in stone hurts my very soul...

Mah boi Taichi better get tha gurl godammit!

Apr 27, 2019 7:30 PM

Oct 2012
Yup riding along on Taichi's journey sure is a painful ride.....why is it that so many of us stay on the bus? I think if Chihaya had a change of heart, it was when he left.....but nothing clearly points out to that......so brace yourselves.
Apr 27, 2019 10:29 PM
Oct 2009
possession1981 said:
ShrewOne said:

People definitely do downplay that moment which is is just irritating for several reasons. The main one being that downplaying that moment feeds into the whole “Chihaya is dumb and naive and has never experienced romantic feelings cause she just loves karuta hahahaha” narrative which is just false because we have panels of Chihaya thinking of Arata in a romantic context and if anyone needs proof then I’ll be more than happy to point them to the exact chapter.

I agree with your sentiment. I do believe she was talking about Arata x Chihaya, and that them falling for each other was inevitable. In a guidebook that came out about a month ago, we have a few pages that feature confessions and romantic moments between different characters. Chihaya x Arata got the first page and on their page it states something along the lines of “Karuta addiction” and “A story of their love”. I don’t know if the statement was for all of the pairings, or for Chihaya x Arata solely, but if it was the latter-which I do think it was due to the karuta addiction line-then that’s just another confirmation on who Chihaya will end up with. The second “story of their love” statement basically lines up with the synopsis that can found in every-well I believe it’s in every volume-volume which is “Their feelings come together radiantly in this story of their youth. Their story now begins”. The synopsis doesn’t mention Taichi, only Arata and Chihaya 😗. I’m not going to pretend that the guidebook or synopsis are a huge factor in everything, but it’s something interesting to take note of. The manga has more than enough proof anyways IMO.

It's like the next chapter and same episode after she declares this that shows she looks at Arata romantically and even before this there are hints.

I'm not sure about the guidebook, but the synopsis should carry some weight. At least it's officially part of the manga. The “A story of their love” part reminds me of when Chihaya said "'Chihayafuru' is a poem about a deep red love." Reminder that it showed Arata while she said this.

Something else I thought about recently are the lyrics to the OP & ED songs (plus Chihaya's character song). Other than the second verse in the season 2 ED, all the lyrics have been about Chihaya thinking about Arata. Even some of the lyrics talk about things not ending or changing. Reminds of the Chihayaburu poem about a love that never faded. I'm curious too about the ED song for season 3 called "Hitomebore" (Love at First Sight). Chihaya and Arata are the only two characters who meet for the first time in the manga, which is backed up by the synopsis, that it could apply to. Not sure what to make of it though since I have no idea what the lyrics are about yet. I know Suetsugu didn't write the lyrics or song titles, but she probably would have intervened if they were way off base. Otherwise, it's going to look kind of stupid if the story contradicts the theme the lyrics set. I'm not sure how much the lyrics factor in as well, but like you mentioned about the guidebook, it's something to think about at least.

chiakimagoto said:

I'm not gonna pretend what I'm saying is %100. It's just my interpretation and I could be wrong, so don't let me be a wet blanket. Only Suetsugu knows what's in store.
Apr 27, 2019 11:02 PM

Oct 2012
Lol, sure....this isn't a game....and the title of the thread "who will win", not really how I feel about it....btw alot of what I feel is a sort of gut feeling against all odds.....so it's not like I haven't been warned. And it's also true that some poems have been scattered through the narrative to forcen that gut feeling.

In a way I feel that that something went awry in the story, like she got so distracted by one, she a bit forgot about the two others.... she's maybe trying to fix it now, but the deed is done and she got an immense fan base rooting for the wrong guy......it's too late to turn that around now....she has been hitting that fanbase with all kind of sticks... ...but seems like it's a tough cookie fanbase. This must really be problematic for her.

I'm curious what she's going to do about it.

There are still many things to look forward to, many twists.........like the matches: Chihaya may lose, Arata may lose, Chihaya may lose, Arata may win, and go on with the different combinations......I also am hoping Taichi will have Suou's Aunt come to see the match, cause Suou's back story is more than endearing, seeing that his both parents jst left him and now his illness bringing another sort of darkness in his lif...... See the whole Misuzawa team gather etc etc, graduation and all. Still alot is going to happen. I hope the manga ends on a happy happy positive note for all of the beloved characters we've been following for so long.

And if Arata and Chihaya end up running away in the sunset together, Suetsugu san can always write a follow up story about how Taichi becomes a docter, lol, I'm a client!

chiakimagotoApr 27, 2019 11:18 PM
May 10, 2019 1:33 PM

Oct 2012
Honestly, it doesn't matter how many people ship Chiharata or how many ship TaiChihaya. No need to be sad over that @Dave_Adrian. If you think like that, Taichi keeps winning first place in the popularity polls. But does that mean something? No. Suetsugu is the one that knows how it is going to end.

It *really* bothers me to see Chiharata fans so sure that Chiharata is the end game because Taichi has always been the dark horse. We get it, you ship it and Taichi IS the dark horse -- but Chihayafuru is, clearly, a romance triangle manga. So, no, we won't know until the manga ends. You can be as sure as one can be, and still be wrong.

We sit, read, eat our crumbs for whoever we ship and wait. Right now, some might say that Arata is winning or that Taichi is winning. But who is winning, really? It's not like Chihaya is dating one of the boys yet. So yeah... hah, nice to get this out of my chest. Stay hidrated, kids.

chiakimagoto said:
Yup riding along on Taichi's journey sure is a painful ride.....why is it that so many of us stay on the bus? I think if Chihaya had a change of heart, it was when he left.....but nothing clearly points out to that......so brace yourselves.

We Taichihaya have been suffering since the beginning. It would be nice to not suffer at the end of the manga lol But yes, we can only brace ourselves. This is what it means to cheer for the dark horse...
May 10, 2019 1:55 PM

Sep 2012
MaahHeim said:
It *really* bothers me to see Chiharata fans so sure that Chiharata is the end game

The manga works in our favor, Suetsugu has confirmed the romantic feelings Chihaya has for Arata in an old interview, and the latest guidebook features "two karuta idiots and their love" on the Chihaya x Arata ship page. This is a thread for both pairings. If you can't take coming across confident shippers of the opposing side then maybe this thread-which has turned into a discussion for both shippers-isn't for you.
possession1981May 10, 2019 2:30 PM
May 10, 2019 2:47 PM

Oct 2012
possession1981 said:
MaahHeim said:
It *really* bothers me to see Chiharata fans so sure that Chiharata is the end game

The manga works in our favor, Suetsugu has confirmed the romantic feelings Chihaya has for Arata in an old interview, and the latest guidebook features "two karuta idiots and their love" on the Chihaya x Arata ship page. This is a thread for both pairings. If you can't take coming across confident shippers of the opposing side then maybe this thread-which has turned into a discussion
for both shippers-isn't for you.

I'm okay here, thank you for your concern. What I mean is I don't see TaichiChihaya fans acting all high and mighty as I see some Chiharata fans do. I really don't see that as "confidence"... If this is what it is, well, then I guess I've interpreted things wrong.
May 10, 2019 3:09 PM

Sep 2012
MaahHeim said:
I'm okay here, thank you for your concern. What I mean is I don't see TaichiChihaya fans acting all high and mighty as I see some Chiharata fans do. I really don't see that as "confidence"... If this is what it is, well, then I guess I've interpreted things wrong.

Confident or as you call it high and mighty TaichiChihaya shippers exist. All you have to do is visit the Taichi appreciation thread. Plenty of users feel that an Arata end isn't possible at all. Maybe you're just use to Chihaya x Arata shippers that have thrown in the towel that coming across some that still believe in an Arata ending rubs you the wrong way. Taichi seems to be the preferred one in the West, and a lot of fans of his seem to get annoyed when others prefer Arata from what I've notice since they feel Arata is the weaker male thread. I feel that a lot of Taichi fans/Taichichihaya on here can't handle different opinions which is why they stick to their thread.
possession1981May 10, 2019 3:13 PM
May 10, 2019 4:22 PM

Nov 2007
I thought I need to add here that Taichi is actually popular everywhere and not just in the west unlike Hibike Euphonium.

But at least Japanese fans don't derogate Chihaya for being in love with someone else in comparison to western fans. I have seen plenty of them and if TaiChihaya fans say there aren't any, it will be one of the worst lies ever just like western fans say Shuuichi isn't popular in Japan.
Coronavirus.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Problem with this manga.

Suiely_c-ute - Mar 22

3 by Suiely_c-ute »»
Mar 28, 7:51 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 247 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MaahHeim - Jul 31, 2022

197 by chiakimagoto »»
Mar 18, 1:31 AM

» Chihayafuru Sequel - Chihayafuru plus - kimi ga tame announced

ItzElite - Oct 31, 2023

19 by CelticMindset »»
Jan 2, 3:34 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 205 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2018

79 by Zooincle »»
Oct 31, 2023 9:39 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 134 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2014

15 by Zooincle »»
Oct 29, 2023 9:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.