Forum Settings
Forums
Knights of Sidonia
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 2, 2017 2:55 AM
Jul 2012
exxxe said:
teubert2 said:

The series as a whole? Yes. The ending? No. I shipped Nagate X Izana, but that's not what I hate about the ending, it's everything else.

but is that everything else actually that important to discus when it's just carrying a few points home:p
like would you give sidonia a 6-7 for being there and looking fab while stating ok things

I would give this 9-10 series a 6-7 because the ending is one of the most important chapters in a series and it's the chapter people are most likely to remember. Or I'm like that anyway. A series can have a lot of fillers but still have an epic ending that makes you want to rate it higher than what it might really deserve. This ending is just wrong on so many levels, and it's really sad given how great and compelling this series is. It deserves better.

So yes, a good conclusion is very important.
When people tell me to stream anime on CR instead of downloading from fansub sites.

Jul 2, 2017 3:19 AM

Sep 2016
teubert2 said:
exxxe said:

but is that everything else actually that important to discus when it's just carrying a few points home:p
like would you give sidonia a 6-7 for being there and looking fab while stating ok things

I would give this 9-10 series a 6-7 because the ending is one of the most important chapters in a series and it's the chapter people are most likely to remember. Or I'm like that anyway. A series can have a lot of fillers but still have an epic ending that makes you want to rate it higher than what it might really deserve. This ending is just wrong on so many levels, and it's really sad given how great and compelling this series is. It deserves better.

I read pedantic at this point but does a bad ending retroactively ruin everything that came before, regardless of what people think ofc:p
Like how many other things can we find bad about sidonia instead? Did fanservice serve any narrative purpose/ did it need so many young and infantilised people (tanikaze needs a team but not the harem bunch sticking around him in the manga, so fundamentally it's not two girls getting together in the end as much as keeping around some hooks, I'm more or less fine with characters who can change because they are young and stuff)/ did
it ever say anything interesting about gender and relationships?
I went through all that and got cool sidonia sights and art to inspect, and it's not like shonen sensibilities get up my nose, I'll pick every row row fight the powa over melodrama any day when it's not jarring with all the conspiracy and war life stuff going on in the manga, and Idk there might be something flying above my head cuz I don't remember much.

Btw believe it or not it's still one of the most interesting things to keep around in my list to me but that's just because of nihei artsy fixes more than what he says or expands beyond blame and whatever angel's egg/jiraishin fanfic, it's still far less detestable than many like Idk attack on titan and other stupid crap
FondenteJul 2, 2017 3:47 AM
Jul 2, 2017 3:47 AM
Jul 2012
exxxe said:
teubert2 said:

I read pedantic at this point but does a bad ending retroactively ruin everything that came before, regardless of what people think ofc:p
Like how many other things can we find bad about sidonia instead? Did fanservice serve any narrative purpose/ did it need so many young and infantilised people (tanikaze needs a team but not the harem bunch sticking around him in the manga, I'm more or less fine with characters who can change because they are young and stuff)/ did it ever say anything interesting about gender and relationships? I went through all that and got cool sidonia sights and art to inspect, and it's not like shonen sensibilities get up my nose, I'll pick every row row fight the powa over melodrama any day when it's not jarring with all the conspiracy and war stuff.

Btw believe it or not it's still one of the most interesting things to follow to me but that's just because of nihei artsy fixes more than what he says or expands beyond blame and sido, it's still far less detestable than many like Idk attack on titan and other stupid crap

No it doesn't ruin what came before, which is what I said. The series before the final chapter is great (though it does have its flaws), but the ending is trash. I might not mind reading the manga again but without reading the final chapter.

When people tell me to stream anime on CR instead of downloading from fansub sites.

Jul 2, 2017 3:52 AM

Sep 2016
teubert2 said:

admittedly I haven't watched everything and I'm not going to do that anytime soon but have you been through evangelion?:p
Jul 2, 2017 4:25 AM
Jul 2012
exxxe said:
teubert2 said:

admittedly I haven't watched everything and I'm not going to do that anytime soon but have you been through evangelion?:p

Nope, can't say I have.

Jul 2, 2017 4:35 AM

Sep 2016
teubert2 said:
exxxe said:

Nope, can't say I have.

essentially aot is the more extreme fanfic
FondenteJul 2, 2017 5:06 AM
Jul 2, 2017 6:33 AM
Jul 2012
exxxe said:
teubert2 said:

Nope, can't say I have.

More extreme fanfic? What do you mean?

Jul 2, 2017 10:26 AM

Sep 2016
teubert2 said:
exxxe said:

More extreme fanfic? What do you mean?

similarities in plot setting revelations
ofc eva is old so AoT gets most of it out fast but I generally tell a lot from the get go.
FondenteJul 2, 2017 10:39 AM
Jan 13, 2018 6:02 AM

Aug 2014
Man i know harem ending isn't a way but open ending is the good option especially on rushed arc.
After the Teruru arc everything seems pretty rushed to the point idk what's even going on.
Though i am sure most of the time they fight i dont know what's going on.
I haven't watch the anime knowing I'll binded to 20mins/episode.

So best girl win but the fuck?
Okay Tsugumi get a human body make a good option but Yuhata as dude?
Wtf is that? It wasn't even necessary.

Also Izana felt like abandoned in this arc, lacks screentime​ overall.

The ending closure are a fucking disappointment.
Goddamn least it wasn't that bad, but still disappointing and i do enjoy most of the mystery and story.
But i haven't get the slightest idea what's exactly Gauna are, even in wiki Gauna are pretty much an Alien race that consume every living thing.

I think the problem lies on the editor or magz length , or the author​ tilt his head when making it.
It's similar to Brynhildr when after the half of the chapters it got rushed where Sidonia rushed somewhere in 50.

I was about to give 9, prob 10 if it's an open ending where every character introduced happy especially for Izana and Yuhata, possible Teruru as well in every possible way instead making it absurdly funny where you pick random crap to make it seems alright.

Had to give it 8, it's similar to cluster fuck that Prison school gave though it make sense compared as pulling Yuhata gender transformation out of nowhere.
I give the ending 5-7 score but 8 for overall enjoyments.

Meh talk about disappointment, how many Manga I've read have either disappointing, axed ending.
Jan 13, 2018 8:51 PM

Jul 2016
The ending trivializes the entire manga up to the final arc.

-Why have Izana transition from gender-neutral to female for Nagate?
-Why leave Nagate's reply a mystery to Izana's question to him on their vacation if it was just going to be a generic "how could I not care about you?"
-Why have the jealously between Izana and Yuhata?
-Why have Kunato enter the forbidden lab if he's just going to be cleared of all charges and become a good guy when he's no longer "possessed" (it was still his fault)?
-Why have the insinuated sex between the captain and Nagate AFTER he confesses his love for Tsumugi?
-Why doesn't Lala care about being ditched for said sex?
-Why present the Gauna as a major threat when every character with even one line of dialogue is invincible?
-Why have the captain's motives appear mysterious and vaguely sinister throughout the entire manga with no payoff?

The answer to all these questions has to be one of the following:
a) Nihei was told to finish the damn thing way before he was ready to;
b) Nihei lost interest in the project;
c) Nihei is a troll.

Like...what message is this thing trying to convey? Don't bother getting over your dead girlfriend, if you wish hard enough she'll come back hotter than ever! Ugh.

I gave it a 5 for nostalgia's sake, but in all honesty I wish I could go back in time to when my knowledge of KoS was limited to the 2 seasons of anime and I didn't know about the pisspoor ending the manga spews out.
Oct 21, 2019 10:57 PM

May 2017
Honestly...what.the.fuck.

Izana & yuhata deserve better ending
Apr 19, 2021 9:57 PM

Mar 2012
TanukiKid said:
What I did expect was Izana convincing Yure to "ressurect" Tsugmugi in some way. What I did not expect was Yuhata becoming a "dude." Izana if any but the natural-born female?

Regardless, what intrigues me most is this quote.

Maybe we'll see a sequel manga? It would make sense seeing as there are still 39 more Sights to cover. Better yet with Izana being the main character. A Sidonia without a god-gifted ace like Nagate. That'd sure be something.
Apparently the anime movie releasing this year is changing things about the ending and adding new stuff to it in general so perhaps that'll answer it
Aug 31, 2021 5:25 PM

Nov 2007

am I the only one that thinks the end is too complicated to be dismissed as some kind of happy/wish fulfillment/shipper pandering ending? this is creepy, in addition to the plain fact that our dude's life partner was a placenta clone of his ex girlfriend whose brain is inhabited by a blood nematode. like there are all kinds of ethical and identity-related questions this should raise. on the one hand, the show explains that when gauna make clones of people from placenta, simply by copying their brains and bodies, the placenta seems to gain their ego, which implies that the ego is physically encoded in the brain somehow. in that case, how do the blood nematodes work? is it really even that clear that a blood nematode does anything more than transfer a copy of someone's memories/experiences? what makes this being tanikaze ends up with actually tsumugi? tanikaze is the most absentminded dipshit on the planet all throughout the story, so naturally he's never going to think about it, but even if he doesn't question it, it is difficult as a reader to actually consider the ending to be super tidy and not honestly a bit horrifying, and part of me feels like that's kind of the point...
Sep 21, 2021 8:13 AM

May 2020
Eh, this ending was alright. I don't really know what people were expecting from this ending honestly. I mean sure, its a bit disappointing but to me, it fits in well with what the manga has portrayed so far. This didn't have the heavy and bleak atmosphere that Blame! did, so I wasn't really expecting a depressing ending out of this, especially since this manga's tone has been more Gundam than it is Blame.

Overall, this was alright I guess. The art is fine and the story is meh.
Nov 24, 2021 1:26 PM

Nov 2016
It's an ending I guess

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 18, 2022 3:33 PM

Oct 2014
This was a really fun series!! For some reason I always held off on reading it even though I've read literally everything else by Nihei. It was interesting that despite there being many serious elements throughout the story and several deaths it still felt pretty light hearted and goofy (which I liked). Pretty much everyone survived apart from a few Honoka sisters and Eiko. Even Hoshijiro ended up coming back in some capacity ~
There was a lot more comedy in this manga than his other works especially of the gag variety which gave the series a pretty mellow feel.

Overall I had a good time reading this and might give the anime a try later ^^
Feb 18, 1:33 PM
Sep 2023
despite this series being more informative(text heavy) series made by this author I surprisingly think this is my least favorite manga series by this creator. as it stands all of his series including this one are confusing as heck tome but overall I think nihei's bets work is probably Aposimz
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vote for your favourite 'girl' of the harem! (end of manga chap 78 spoilers)

Hyunckel - Jan 16, 2016

3 by Ssilver »»
Dec 18, 2022 10:02 AM

Poll: » Knights of Sidonia Chapter 9 Discussion

skualninja - Aug 26, 2012

4 by Trap_Traps_Traps »»
Mar 16, 2022 5:47 AM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Chapter 55 Discussion

Stark700 - May 31, 2014

3 by FMmatron »»
Nov 12, 2021 6:14 PM

Poll: » Favorite Honoka sibling?

Avvenirista - Feb 19, 2021

2 by Avvenirista »»
Feb 23, 2021 5:36 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Chapter 63 Discussion

Veldarth - Jul 1, 2014

36 by removed-user »»
Oct 6, 2020 9:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.