Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (24) « First ... « 14 15 [16] 17 18 » ... Last »
Jul 18, 2016 7:00 AM
Jul 2018
beast_regards said:
Rehls said:
rolls eyes Unfortunatelly for you, it isn't that simple.

It is not, is it?

Show didn't show me much so far except the fact they added more and more gore to prove how "mature" it is. My personal bet is that Subaru needs to die at least 3 more times before plot advances itself, most likely in exceedingly painful and brutal way.

There were solid reasons for them not to be willing to help him. Stop ignoring. Your accusations are flawed. Yet you treat them as if they weren't.
Jul 18, 2016 7:06 AM

Oct 2014
AironicallyHuman said:
Until he was forced to realise acting OTT goofy and determination alone was not enough

he already realised it in arc2 tough and admitted it.

So, I'd argue this arc was exactly what was required to take the series forward.

except that it took the series backwards. Alot. especially after the development of Arc1/2 was suddenly gone.

Tbh, i have no problem with how he acted this ep, since it made sense after that massacre and failing and stuff, but ch12-14 were just cheap OOCness.
Jul 18, 2016 7:10 AM

Jan 2013
Rehls said:
There were solid reasons for them not to be willing to help him. Stop ignoring. Your accusations are flawed. Yet you treat them as if they weren't.

Basically all candidates are preparing to take throne by force, diverting forces elsewhere would weaken their position in the capital.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Jul 18, 2016 7:17 AM
Jul 2018
Shrimperor said:
_Hans_ said:
Oh god, here come the "OOC" people. You guys come every week

Please do us a favor and drop the show like Fai

Yes, we will drop a show because someone who disagrees with us asked us to. See ya guys next season in the most hyped anime so we can say it's bad /s

People forget that we, including Fai, were some of the most hyped people and Fans during Arc1/2. But ofcourse because we don't like what happened after and find it nonsensical we are automatically the bad guys and haters.

For having wrong expectations. More like, inferior expectations. Thinking the show would go a predictable way. But what it did was outsmart you people. But you couldn't accept it. Too arrogant to.

It wasn't automatically. You've all been contributing to it for the right amount of time. It was inevitable.

Shrimperor said:
What did Subaru do ''EMILIA EMILIA EMILIA EMILIA EMILIA''

He was cornered for not having what to argument with, and desperate, thinking that he'd lose her, that is so precious to him. This situation, again, hadn't happened before. He's never been pushed to this extent. (Although what happened in ep 8 was similar. He became desperately paranoid.)

beast_regards said:
Rehls said:

Basically all candidates are preparing to take throne by force, diverting forces elsewhere would weaken their position in the capital.

So you completely disregarded their character-derived decisions, yeah?

Simplifying: Priscilla despises weak men. Crusch doesn't accepts weak people. Anastasia pities the weak.
removed-userJul 18, 2016 7:21 AM
Jul 18, 2016 7:20 AM

Oct 2014
Rehls said:

For having wrong expectations. More like, inferior expectations. Thinking the show would go a predictable way. But what it did was outsmart you people. But you couldn't accept it. Too arrogant to.
)

So wanting a show to be good is having infrerior expectations. Good to know. And removing development is being predictable now?

He was cornered for not having what to argument with, and desperate, thinking that he'd lose her, that is so precious to him. This situation, again, hadn't happened before. He's never been pushed to this extent.

>Castle full of protection
>I am the only one who can defend her
Goes against everything he did in arc2 where he acknowledged he can't do shit alone. This, and then he does the whole knight thing.
Jul 18, 2016 7:35 AM

Jul 2016
Wow Re:Zero fans are rabid as fuck. God forbid someone doesn't like their "smart" & "mature" show.
AssumingControlJul 18, 2016 7:40 AM
Jul 18, 2016 7:43 AM
Oct 2010
Like someone said before, the "sins" seem a bit mismatched. Betelgeuse displays more jealousy than sloth, and Subaru suffers more from wrath than pride... curiously enough, I don't see him as greedy as the episode's title would suggest.

I hoped he would slow down and move more cautiously after last episode's shock, but seems like he is as desperate as ever, sigh. Between this and his uncontrollable rage, it's little wonder he cannot even use what little brain he has. There are already paths for him (like gathering info to use for negotiation, as Anastasia suggested), but instead he will still rush with half baked plans (did I say half baked?, more like almost raw)

I must admit I'm growing weary of Subaru failing over and over for the sake of realism... too much realism and he'll never succeed but for random chance, and that makes a poor story...
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Jul 18, 2016 7:45 AM
Jul 2018
Shrimperor said:
Rehls said:

)

So wanting a show to be good is having infrerior expectations. Good to know. And removing development is being predictable now?

Development wasn't removed. You've been told why, by me too. There was simply no need for him to behave better, without an on-going issue present. He decided to instead, enjoy his time. With Priscilla, he was feeling pathetic. He's been doing stuff to impress Emilia. In Elsa's case, he asked for a name. He knew that she'd like it. He's familiar and is interested in people like her. But the challenge was too great in the castle. He wasn't prepared. He was oblivious to her prejudice. And pride.

Shrimperor said:
Rehls said:
He was cornered for not having what to argument with, and desperate, thinking that he'd lose her, that is so precious to him. This situation, again, hadn't happened before. He's never been pushed to this extent.

Goes against everything he did in arc2 where he acknowledged he can't do shit alone. This, and then he does the whole knight thing.

She was safe in arc 2, in the mansion. He was satisfied with it. He wanted to protect and impress her. Did he ask her to come with him? I remember he asking the maids. And one of the reasons why he wanted to stay by her side, was because he wanted to consider himself worthy of it. I don't think he's too satisfied with the role of butler. No, he isn't, obviously. Otherwise he'd have accepted it, and behaved better.

I already explained the 'whole knight thing'. And about what you replied to, I was referring to his breakdown after the defeat.

If you insist, I'll just copy-paste what I said previously.
removed-userJul 18, 2016 8:02 AM
Jul 18, 2016 7:49 AM

Nov 2011
I think its pretty obvious all these failures will be a great lesson for Subaru on his future loops. You can already see at the end of the episode, rather than just asking for help, he offer those people something for their help.

Jul 18, 2016 7:54 AM

Mar 2015
Ajunky said:

I must admit I'm growing weary of Subaru failing over and over for the sake of realism... too much realism and he'll never succeed but for random chance, and that makes a poor story...

Yeah, he seems to just be going in even more blind than usual lately. I mean anything with a brain would of known that Priscilla is a nasty wench as soon as she opened her mouth. He QUICKLY forgot that Crusch and Otokonoko Boi only helped him because of the contract as well. I don't see him learning at all lately. He's lucky Rem is there, or he'd of probably died at least 15 (that's being generous) more times. :D
Raven_WingzJul 18, 2016 7:59 AM
Jul 18, 2016 7:55 AM

Jun 2007
Ajunky said:
Like someone said before, the "sins" seem a bit mismatched. Betelgeuse displays more jealousy than sloth, and Subaru suffers more from wrath than pride... curiously enough, I don't see him as greedy as the episode's title would suggest.

I get the impression all seven of the FMA 'sinners' share all the sins. It's just, the sin they are named after represents them the best. I disagree wrath fits Subaru better, btw: it's his pride that is leading to the outbursts of rage.

In this arc alone Subaru has already displayed envy (jealousy over his knight 'rival'), sloth (feigning insanity), greed (expecting without being given by the three bitch candidates), lust (his Emilia obsession in general), wrath (he's seemed far more angry than prideful of that), and - ofc - pride. Maybe gluttony even with how he decided himself he'd become a knight without effort.
Jul 18, 2016 7:56 AM

Sep 2013
Shrimperor said:
Rehls said:

)

did you actually watch this episode? he is currently seeking others.
god why some people are still stuck on episode 14? even the protagonist moved on.

edit :
Raven_Wingz said:
Ajunky said:

Yeah, he seems to just be going in even more blind than usual lately. I mean anything with a brain would of known that Priscilla is a nasty wench as soon as she opened her mouth. He QUICKLY forgot that Crusch only helped him because of the contract as well. I don't see him learning at all lately. He's lucky Rem is there, or he'd of probably died at least 15 (that's being generous) more times. :D

i'm watching it from another perspective and that is that he currently gathering information, i can argue with you that up till now there wasn't a single death without meaning because all of them seem unavoidable at first... and this where suburu ability comes to mind on how to avoid such fate hence the point of the show.
IshtaRinJul 18, 2016 8:07 AM
Jul 18, 2016 8:00 AM
Jun 2016
Bozzzz said:
Skaabais said:
Eh, i quite dislike when protagonists go psycho or mad like Subaru did, but episode in general was interesting especially end.

I'm the opposite. It's good when MC isn't generic.
Or do you mean over-the top mad like most villains in anime. Then I'd say it's not that bad. There are a lot of characters in other anime who are really crazy without a good reason, I'd say Subaru had a reason.
I do agree with you there but i can't explain but it would be accurate to say that it makes me uncomfortable, same i have when watching TV show The Walking Dead, Rick feels like a mad man and for some reason it makes me uncomfortable but i wouldn't say that it is all that bad though. -)
Jul 18, 2016 8:00 AM

Oct 2015
I like how Subaru's inner rage got shat on in this episode by the other contenders to the throne.

Besides that Subaru is still acting like an idiot despite all what's happened to him. I understand he got killed in a horrific way by the actions of the witch cultists twice over, and that would fuck you up just a little bit, but even then you should realise that Emilia's rivals to the throne aren't just going to unconditionally help her "knight", especially after that knight made a fool of himself a couple of days before.

But this is the same guy who needed two time resets before he realised that he was travelling back in time.

Now I'm not demanding that Subaru act like a perfectly logical machine, I hate that kinda thing, but a bit of intelligence and willingness to learn from others would be nice.

Episode 15 was pretty brilliant, but so far I am actually preferring the previous arc over this one.
Jul 18, 2016 8:03 AM

Oct 2014
RinFTW said:
Shrimperor said:

god why some people are still stuck on episode 14? even the protagonist moved on.

because those ep (12-14) destroyed the impact of ep 15.

Rehls said:

No need, i already refuted and we already had this dicussion more then once and will never see to eye. You still think it ok, i will still think it's OOC.
Jul 18, 2016 8:05 AM

Mar 2010
Ajunky said:

I hoped he would slow down and move more cautiously after last episode's shock, but seems like he is as desperate as ever, sigh. Between this and his uncontrollable rage, it's little wonder he cannot even use what little brain he has. There are already paths for him (like gathering info to use for negotiation, as Anastasia suggested), but instead he will still rush with half baked plans (did I say half baked?, more like almost raw)

I agree. Most people would completely fine after literally coming back from a loop mere secs ago where they just barely regained sanity after everything they have was completely destoryed. They totally wouldn't be full of rage and desperation and end up having it effect their judgement. Just chill Subaru it is not big deal or anything.

Never thought I say it, but even 4chan has better grasp on this episode then MAL.
Iron_MawJul 18, 2016 8:14 AM
Jul 18, 2016 8:21 AM
Jun 2016
Shrimperor said:
RinFTW said:

Rehls said:

No need, i already refuted and we already had this dicussion more then once and will never see to eye. You still think it ok, i will still think it's OOC.

That's perfectly fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Sep 2015
Ajunky said:

The words in the sins and the actual words both have different meaning. Everyone can spell out all the seven sins but not many knows what those words actually mean. Basically for example the word 'pride' you know is bit different from the 'pride' in 7 sins.
valvravetruthJul 18, 2016 8:26 AM

Jun 2013
Jagd84 said:
Ajunky said:

I agree. Most people would completely fine after literally coming back from a loop mere secs ago where they just barely regained sanity after everything they have was completely destoryed. They totally wouldn't be full of rage and desperation and end up having it effect their judgement. Just chill Subaru it is not big deal or anything.

Never thought I say it, but even 4chan has better grasp on this episode then MAL.

rofl

Yeah that was the first time subaru went thru a emilia death "loss", esp given the fact that he can recover what was "lost"

Don't give me the nonsense of armchair warrior. We saw how subaru did a 180 on rem between a single loop. Jumping off a cliff knowing he is gonna save her on the next replay.
Jul 18, 2016 8:28 AM

Jun 2007
valvravetruth said:
Ajunky said:

The words in the sins and the actual words both have different meaning. Everyone can spell out all the seven sins but not many knows what those words actually mean. Basically for example the word 'pride' you know is bit different from the 'pride' in 7 sins.

Feel free to elaborate. Education is always welcome when offered to the lazy.

I do agree that 'Sloth' seemed more jealous than anything. But it's hard to tell based on that one hyperactive scene where he was depicted as batshit as humanly possible.
Jul 18, 2016 8:31 AM

Jan 2013
Rehls said:

Simplifying: Priscilla despises weak men. Crusch doesn't accepts weak people. Anastasia pities the weak.

Does it matter? Priscilla simply asks a question that doesn't have correct answer. Only right approach is to not ask the question. Crusch doesn't care about the whole elections as she plans to stage a coup anyway. And Anastasia believes she already won, hence she is willing to give a small boons. In best case, their personality will change as Rem's so we can forget what they were before, or they will be antagonist that exist only to extend Subaru's suffering.

In the end, only thing that matters that being Subaru is suffering and no one will help him.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Jul 18, 2016 8:31 AM

Sep 2013
Shrimperor said:

I simply can't agree, while i too think that what he did in ep 14 is wrong and i don't want to repeat his whole psychological state of mind since its becoming annoyingly redundant to explain for you guys (not to mention pointless), i think you guys are being too unforgiving... like the type of friends that never talk to you again ever just because you had an outburst on them once.

its up to you how you want to view the protagonist but if you kept stuck on what he did on one episode you will have a hard time enjoying the rest of the show.
Jul 18, 2016 8:38 AM
Jul 2018
beast_regards said:
Rehls said:

Does it matter? Priscilla simply asks a question that doesn't have correct answer. Only right approach is to not ask the question. Crusch doesn't care about the whole elections as she plans to stage a coup anyway. And Anastasia believes she already won, hence she is willing to give a small boons. In best case, their personality will change as Rem's so we can forget what they were before, or they will be antagonist that exist only to extend Subaru's suffering.

In the end, only thing that matters that being Subaru is suffering and no one will help him.

It's obvious that it matters. It's part of their established character. If they were to act against it, it could be considered bad writing.

The correct answer would be to value your self. Crusch won't simply 'stage a coup'. Hah. What. Did you even get her character? She fights fairly. Sure, she believes she already won. That's why she went there and made an effort to gain more advantage. :D (Seriously...)
removed-userJul 18, 2016 9:01 AM
Jul 18, 2016 8:39 AM

Mar 2010
Chiyousagi said:
Jagd84 said:

rofl

Yeah that was the first time subaru went thru a emilia death "loss", esp given the fact that he can recover what was "lost"

Don't give me the nonsense of armchair warrior. We saw how subaru did a 180 on rem between a single loop. Jumping off a cliff knowing he is gonna save her on the next replay.

Yes because that is totally comparable and totally has everything to do HAVING AN ENTIRE TOWN OF PEOPLE YOU KNEW MERCLESSLY SLAUGHTERED TWICE WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO DO ANYTHING ABLE IT.

Dude are 5 or are just baiting me now? Did miss the part where the blunt images of dead bodies everywhere kept replaying in mind? Or think this kind of videogame where he should get over it?

Christ no wonder ther barely a proper discussion here, instead whining about the fact the MC didn't magically come up with plans and win everything in an enviroment he is unfamiliar with.
Jul 18, 2016 8:43 AM

Sep 2013
Chiyousagi said:

tbh i hated that part too, i would have a hard time helping someone who kept killing me on sheer hunch that i might be a bad person.
Jul 18, 2016 8:44 AM
Oct 2010
AironicallyHuman said:
I get the impression all seven of the FMA 'sinners' share all the sins. It's just, the sin they are named after represents them the best. I disagree wrath fits Subaru better, btw: it's his pride that is leading to the outbursts of rage.

In this arc alone Subaru has already displayed envy (jealousy over his knight 'rival'), sloth (feigning insanity), greed (expecting without being given by the three bitch candidates), lust (his Emilia obsession in general), wrath (he's seemed far more angry than prideful of that), and - ofc - pride. Maybe gluttony even with how he decided himself he'd become a knight without effort.
I do agree they all have all the sins (as we all do, don't we?), and Subaru can be quite arrogant. It's still his failure to control his rage what sinks him deeper and deeper. Well, it's all a matter of perspective, so yours is just as valid.

I still think the "greed" was overplayed this episode. Subaru seemed to me willing to give anything in return for the help, he simply has no idea of what to give... and he really sucks at diplomacy and negotiation. He could seem greedy to the other candidates since he didn't offer anything he could give, but that's just an image created by his incompetence in the matter.
AjunkyJul 18, 2016 8:52 AM
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Jul 18, 2016 8:45 AM
Jul 2018
Chiyousagi said:
Jagd84 said:

rofl

Do you even understand pride? He wouldn't blame Rem, knowing she's not treating him unfairly. But he tried to, even. He's so dense that he didn't understand at first that she's motives to act this way. He's been cofined for an entire day, and still didn't get it. He was still unsure about whether they're good or not. Hasn't she accused him of being affiliated to the Witch? He could've simply: "Oh, she thinks I'm guilty. That's why..." But he found it hard to believe he was in the wrong. He had to be reminded of a scene where they hold their hands in his nightmares... Eh.

Stupid people would blame them completely, and forget about them. Not making an effort trying to understand their reasons.
Jul 18, 2016 8:45 AM
Apr 2011
Jagd84 said:
Chiyousagi said:

rofl

Yes because that is totally comparable and totally has everything to do HAVING AN ENTIRE TOWN OF PEOPLE YOU KNEW MERCLESSLY SLAUGHTERED TWICE WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO DO ANYTHING ABLE IT.

Dude are 5 or are just baiting me now? Did miss the part where the blunt images of dead bodies everywhere kept replaying in mind? Or think this kind of videogame where he should get over it?

Christ no wonder ther barely a proper discussion here, instead whining about the fact the MC didn't magically come up with plans and win everything in an enviroment he is unfamiliar with.

We don't really expect him to magically come up with plans, we just expect him to make better decisions. His approach was just horrible, until he was bombarded with what we call good advice from one of the cadidates.

I think everyone in this world knows that no one is obligated to help another person with no renumerations. That is why we call it kindness, instead of common sense. You really expect the other candidates to be kind? He was present during the appointment speeches and should at least have some idea how their personalities were like, considering their ideals. When I saw that scene, my conclusion was that they were definitely not kind. Let's not forget how Crusch repeatedly states how she in only helping him because there is a contract.
trannon1Jul 18, 2016 9:03 AM
Jul 18, 2016 9:03 AM

Mar 2010
trannon1 said:
Jagd84 said:

We don't really expect him to magically come up with plans, we just expect him to make better decisions. His approach was just horrible, until he was bombarded with what we call good advice from one of the cadidates.

I think everyone in this world knows that no one is obligated to help another person with no renumerations. That is why we call it kindness, instead of common sense.

That's bullshit and know it. The arcs already show that nobody everybody others out self interst. Even putting that aside Subaru literally has nothing to offer nor does he have much time. He doingthe best a normal person while trying to his fragile emotions in check and no one should fault him for that. It's disgusing lack of empathy with that is appaling. Yes he made mistakes, but he not in the right state to thing everything though and should be obvious why. This not a bout being badss or loser it is boy trying overcome an obstacles that would destroyed most people.

It's because things like this are view in such a cadaver black and white manner by quite few here that I'm losing interest here, espeically with direct attacks on author having Subaru go through psychological process of maturing the hardway to combat his flaws.
Iron_MawJul 18, 2016 9:07 AM
Jul 18, 2016 9:04 AM
Jul 2018
Bananaoranges said:
Shrimperor said:

If only he hadn't ignored my arguments. That's what he's been doing, if you've noticed. If he brings the same things again, I'll do the same. No need for him to care about it, then.
Jul 18, 2016 9:04 AM

Jun 2013
Rehls said:
Chiyousagi said:

rofl

Do you even understand pride? He wouldn't blame Rem, knowing she's not treating him unfairly. But he tried to, even. He's so dense that he didn't understand at first that she's motives to act this way. He's been cofined for an entire day, and still didn't get it. He was still unsure about whether they're good or not. Hasn't she accused him of being affiliated to the Witch? He could've simply: "Oh, she thinks I'm guilty. That's why..." But he found it hard to believe he was in the wrong. He had to be reminded of a scene where they hold their hands in his nightmares... Eh.

Stupid people would blame them completely, and forget about them. Not making an effort trying to understand their reasons.

I was replying to how subaru isn't new to such "losses"

And I forestall the person I replied to by stating subaru instantly forgave rem so don't give me crap about mental breakdown and nonsense along those line.

In short, there is no reason why subaru can't act more rationally just because he suffer a "loss" recently as we seen how he totally did a 180 for Rem. The fact he can jump off the cliff shows that even at that point, subaru already embrace the idea of no loss is too huge as long as he can restart.

Unless of cuz further on it was shown that subaru really was just playing the fool all along(to gather information). After all, author uses that mad archbishop to inform viewers that subaru isn't mad/suffering from mental breakdown but is just faking it.

The only annoying thing is there are still ppl here claiming he isn't mentally stable when it was already noted that he ISN'T.
Jul 18, 2016 9:07 AM

Jun 2013
Jagd84 said:
Chiyousagi said:

rofl

Too bad for the author. Since viewers know, and so does subaru about RbD. Does it matter if it was just emilia or an entire village along with her???? Subaru will just reset, and reset he did.

So there is no way subaru doesn't understand that, since like I pointed out, he already offered to do a reset once(jumps off cliff)
Jul 18, 2016 9:12 AM
Jul 2018
Chiyousagi said:
Rehls said:

And I forestall the person I replied to by stating subaru instantly forgave rem so don't give me crap about mental breakdown and nonsense along those line.

In short, there is no reason why subaru can't act more rationally just because he suffer a "loss" recently as we seen how he totally did a 180 for Rem. The fact he can jump off the cliff shows that even at that point, subaru already embrace the idea of no loss is too huge as long as he can restart.

Unless of cuz further on it was shown that subaru really was just playing the fool all along(to gather information). After all, author uses that mad archbishop to inform viewers that subaru isn't mad/suffering from mental breakdown but is just faking it.

The only annoying thing is there are still ppl here claiming he isn't mentally stable when it was already noted that he ISN'T.

It wasn't instantly. He hadn't forgiven, what he couldn't understand. He's been confined for a day in his rooom. He felt sorry for her death, as he didn't blame her completely. After the talk with Beatrice, he decided to have faith in them, and try once again. He wanted to learn more about the mystery surrounding them.

So you'd have expected him to not feel anything about what he had seen in the village? He's not a sociopath. Not only, but it was 'implied' that he blamed himself, 'This is not what I wanted!'. (This should've been more obvious.) After he tried to solve the issue along with Rem. Next episode he tried to ask for more help, but didn't succeed.
Jul 18, 2016 9:13 AM

Jun 2007
Just putting this here since it will always represent anime forum 'discussions':

Look, we get that you all disagree and want to shove your e-cocks down each others e-throats as part of some possibly homosexual ritual. But for Allah's sake, just state your sodding opinions to each other clearly and bugger off if you've nothing more to add than going in circles. NO-ONE CARES EITHER WAY APART FROM YOU YOURSELVES.

Don't like Subaru because he does stupid things? Fine, your opinion is valid.
Like Subaru more because he's suffering as a result of his actions, and will probably change for the better? FINE.

You people are ruining the thread with your petty, self-indulgent stonewalling. Please Fark off.

Love,

Aion

Ajunky said:
He could seem greedy to the other candidates since he didn't offer anything he could give, but that's just an image created by his incompetence in the matter.

That's a fair assessment. I too thought he was more incompetent than greedy. The part where the sadistic bitch referred to him as a greedy pig seemed more like a self-contained scene that gave the title for the episode more than anything else, honestly. Rather than greed, the comment about him acting like an animal and being treated like an animal - despite his pride - was more interesting to me.
Jul 18, 2016 9:14 AM
Apr 2011
Jagd84 said:
trannon1 said:

I think everyone in this world knows that no one is obligated to help another person with no renumerations. That is why we call it kindness, instead of common sense.

That's bullshit and know it. The arcs already show that nobody everybody others out self interst. Even putting that aside Subaru literally has nothing to offer nor does he have much time. He doingthe best a normal person while trying to his fragile emotions in check and no one should fault him for that. It's disgusing lack of empathy with that is appaling. Yes he made mistakes, but he not in the right state to thing everything though and should be obvious why. This not a bout being badss or loser it is boy trying overcime an obstacles that would destroyed most people.

I am trying to have a civil conversation so calling my words bullshit isn't helping.

You say that we shouldn't fault him for it. I am not faulting him for trying his hardest. I am faulting him for not thinking it through. Even before this occured, his actions have been very irrational. Let's list them out.

1. He one-sidedly proclaims himself Emilia's knight despite her protests against it.

2. He states he is Emilia's knight without understanding the implications.

3. He has enmity against Julio just based on his biased opinion that handsome men are his enemies against Emilia.

4. When Reinhart tried to get Subaru and Julio to make up, Subaru tells him to fuck off, as if Julio did something unforgivable.

5. When Rem leaves him behind to protect him, he basically calls her a bitch.

After the incident, or first loop:

6. He fakes insanity, despite having been through seven deaths already.

7. He has been one-sidedly asking for help without offering anything in return.

8. He has been ranting on and on about the Witch Cult despite not having any real evidence.

9. He expects everyone to help him unconditionally, and when they are not there to do so, like Roswal or Reinhart, he calls them useless.

I do feel sorry for him. But I feel like he could have done better. That is not lack of empathy. Of course I think some of his actions are logical with his state of mind, but others are not. He has been very overconfident, as if he was the only reason why people are being saved, like him shouting at Emilia about it. Now that he is powerless, he needs to make up for that weakness by being smarter, and doing better than his best. After all, overcoming his limits is what will make Subaru shine in this darkness.
Jul 18, 2016 9:15 AM
Jul 2018
AironicallyHuman said:

"Hey, don't listen to music. It's retarded."
Jul 18, 2016 9:22 AM

Jun 2013
Rehls said:
Chiyousagi said:

It wasn't instantly. He hadn't forgiven, what he couldn't understand. He's been confined for a day in his rooom. He felt sorry for her death, as he didn't blame her completely. After the talk with Beatrice, he decided to have faith in them, and try once again. He wanted to learn more about the mystery surrounding them.

So you'd have expected him to not feel anything about what he had seen in the village? He's not a sociopath. Not only, but it was 'implied' that he blamed himself, 'This is not what I wanted!'. (This should've been more obvious.) After he tried to solve the issue along with Rem. Next episode he tried to ask for more help, but didn't succeed.

You do know that the so called "mental breakdown" is related to suffering a loss rather then seeing unspeakable stuff done?

He is free to feel whatever he like, which likely should be anger. But he definitely shouldn't feel the grieve of lost family members. Like I said, he already shown us that when Rem dies, he doesn't mob around(like in epi15) becuz he know he can just reset and save her hide.
Jul 18, 2016 9:28 AM
Jul 2018
Chiyousagi said:
Rehls said:

You do know that the so called "mental breakdown" is related to suffering a loss rather then seeing unspeakable stuff done?

He is free to feel whatever he like, which likely should be anger. But he definitely shouldn't feel the grieve of lost family members. Like I said, he already shown us that when Rem dies, he doesn't mob around(like in epi15) becuz he know he can just reset and save her hide.

That knowledge doesn't immunizes a person against horror. And it's not something he had anticipated. It surprised him. What kept him going, was hope of finding Emilia alive. He wanted to learn more. To maybe think that "Oh, at least she didn't die. She didn't have to suffer...because of my incompetence." He takes the blame.
Jul 18, 2016 9:33 AM

Mar 2010
trannon1 said:
Jagd84 said:

That's bullshit and know it. The arcs already show that nobody everybody others out self interst. Even putting that aside Subaru literally has nothing to offer nor does he have much time. He doingthe best a normal person while trying to his fragile emotions in check and no one should fault him for that. It's disgusing lack of empathy with that is appaling. Yes he made mistakes, but he not in the right state to thing everything though and should be obvious why. This not a bout being badss or loser it is boy trying overcime an obstacles that would destroyed most people.

I am trying to have a civil conversation so calling my words bullshit isn't helping.

You say that we shouldn't fault him for it. I am not faulting him for trying his hardest. I am faulting him for not thinking it through. Even before this occured, his actions have been very irrational. Let's list them out.

1. He one-sidedly proclaims himself Emilia's knight despite her protests against it.

3. He has enmity against Julio just based on his biased opinion that handsome men are his enemies against Emilia.

4. When Reinhart tried to get Subaru and Julio to make up, Subaru tells him to fuck off, as if Julio did something unforgivable.

8. He has been ranting on and on about the Witch Cult despite not having any real evidence.

9. He expects everyone to help him unconditionally, and when they are not there to do so, like Roswal or Reinhart, he calls them useless.

I do feel sorry for him. But I feel like he could have done better. That is not lack of empathy. Of course I think some of his actions are logical with his state of mind, but others are not. He has been very overconfident, as if he was the only reason why people are being saved, like him shouting at Emilia about it. Now that he is powerless, he needs to make up for that weakness by being smarter, and doing better than his best. After all, overcoming his limits is what will make Subaru shine in this darkness.

Listing his mistakes that story itself has pointed out means nothing. Those were made because of a combination of his inherent flaws and his insane situation. Yes some his problems are his fault, duh. But some due to cirmcumstance of him carrying a terrible burden and doing his best to deal with it. This not about being smarter or stronger it about Subaru findung his place in world dealing with his own insecurities. He's good person in difficult position that has no easy nor garanutees of success. Yet puts himself on line with what he has even if fucks up. Bitching about his mistakes while not virtues and cirmcumstances is friutless discussions that showd the fact that you cared that he made mishaps and not process of why. So no you do lack about his inability to commuicate his abilites to others, about his deaths and his entire situation. If can't bother look at this in nanuced views and instead just blame things then there is no point in discussing anything.

You don't bother look into the scenes you saw happen and try to understand yhe differdnt perspectives. You merely look at the results.

I'm tried just dealing and talking about things in vaccum, which is why discussions about this show is so much places is so much better than here. They actually bother look at how Subaru development effect him instead of just complaining that he has become a master stratagist yet while not victimize too mich.
Iron_MawJul 18, 2016 9:43 AM
Jul 18, 2016 9:45 AM

Jun 2007
Jagd84 said:
trannon1 said:

Listing his mistakes that story itself has pointed out means nothing. Those were made because of a combination of his inherent flaws and his insane situation. Yes some his problems are his fault, duh. But some due to cirmcumstance of him carrying a terrible burden and doing his best to deal with it. This not about being smarter or stronger it about Subaru findung his place in world dealing with his own insecurities. He's good person in difficult position that has no easy nor garanutees of success. Yet puts himself on line with what he has even if fucks up. Bitching about his mistakes while not virtues and cirmcumstances is friutless discussions that showd the fact that you cared that he made mishaps and not process of why. So no you do lack about his inability to commuicate his abilites to others, about his deaths and his entire situation. If can't bother look at this in nanuced views and instead just blame things then there is no point in discussing anything.

I'm tried just dealing and talking about things in vaccum, which is why discussions about this show is so much places is so much better than here. They actually bother look at how Subaru development effect him instead of just complaining that he has become a master stratagist yet while not victimize too mich.

...oh, and: "5. When Rem leaves him behind to protect him, he basically calls her a bitch."
Just to show you how different people can interpret different things differently, I did not think Subaru was calling her a bitch at all. I did not think that was even suggested. Subaru's anger was aimed more at himself for another person basically telling him he was too powerless to help, so stay put.

SHOCKING REVELATION, not everyone will agree. Jesus...

No-one sane will want to post in this forum if all you people do is bitch at each other like.. well, bitches. It would be nice if other people could share their thoughts in a happy, safe place, free of idiocy. That does not describe MAL, granted, but that's not the point.
Jul 18, 2016 9:46 AM
Jul 2016
lol this argument has rewound itself a couple of times with the same points but different people. There are a couple of points though that I would hopefully want to ask everyone if they agree with first.

Subaru screwed up. Maybe this is because of his personality, maybe this is because of his traumatic events, maybe we could have done better, maybe we could not have. The fact remains, he could have played the last couple of episodes better.

Subaru is trying. He didn't do it correctly, but he is trying.

Subaru is learning. Slowly and not taking in the full lesson from each encounter, but the fact is that his interactions with the merchants at the end was much better than his interactions with the the faction leaders.

Subaru is repeating some mistakes. The fact that he gets angered easily, the fact that he has a large ego and a smaller IQ. He is learning but it is really slow sometimes.

So the question then becomes: can we tolerate a character that is making a lot of cringeworthy (read: pretty dumb) mistakes who slowly learns how to not be an idiot. Maybe it isn't his fault; but the fact that it is repeatedly cringeworthy is turning some people off from this show. Some people like the long journey before the character development; some people think the journey is taking a bit too long.

No one here knows the actual stress placed on Subaru because we haven't been placed through the stress; so saying "going through death is pretty traumatic" or "going through death is easy" is pointless; none of us has personal experience in that regard. We also haven't seen how he acts in the "real world". He is the character we got and it is people's opinions on whether they like or hate him.

Does this make sense? If not, feel free to respond.
Jul 18, 2016 9:49 AM

May 2015
Alright, so I now know that the show doesn't fucking care about Subaru's rapid character change for no reason and is now going along with the idea that arc 1-2 Subaru never fucking existed and arc 3 Subaru is the only one that mattered.

If I decided to forget that I'd probably enjoy the show a lot better.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jul 18, 2016 9:52 AM
Apr 2011
Jagd84 said:
trannon1 said:

You don't bother look into the scenes you saw happen and try to understand yhe differdnt perspectives. You merely look at the results.

I really don't know how you read my posts, but honestly I feel like you are just repeating the same things over and over, "He is trying his best".

I already stated that I know he is trying his best. It is just that his best right now is not enough, so he needs to change up his actions. My last line clearly states that I have expectations for him to overcome his limits after this loop and succeed, but that obviously escaped your attention, since you just want to lambast my opinion,

As to his reasons why he does those irrational actions, I mentioned how he was a NEET in the past, therefore he is kind of viewing this fantasy world as a sort of game deep inside. It's basically a romance sim where Emilia is the only heroine and he needs to gain relationship points by saving her. He had the viewpoint that he was the hero of the story and that he is necessary for people to be saved. I also stated that it is with this situation where he is utterly powerless that he is forced to comfront reality for the first time. The fact that this escaped your notice makes me feel that once again, you are just lambasting my opinion without reading what I write.

I don't understand why you are so aggressive, I never said I didn't like Subaru as a character. I was just making a logical observation as to what he needs to do in order to do things right next time. Well, since you are so tired, I'll leave it at that.
Jul 18, 2016 9:54 AM

Jan 2014
Nice episode, but that cliffhanger!

I suppose this creature at the end was a dragon, might have something to do with the jealous witch? if I remember correctly they did mention some dragon in her tale.

Subaru is just repeating the same mistakes over and over again, which-in a psychological perspective- in quite interesting, looking forward to see how he'll pull this off.

Since we know that there are character representing the seven deadly sins in this story; then I guess Priscilla could be lust? well we haven't seen really any succubus-like behavior in her.
Jul 18, 2016 9:56 AM
Apr 2011
AironicallyHuman said:
Jagd84 said:

...oh, and: "5. When Rem leaves him behind to protect him, he basically calls her a bitch."
Just to show you how different people can interpret different things differently, I did not think Subaru was calling her a bitch at all. I did not think that was even suggested. Subaru's anger was aimed more at himself for another person basically telling him he was too powerless to help, so stay put.

No-one sane will want to post in this forum if all you people do is bitch at each other like.. well, bitches. It would be nice if other people could share their thoughts in a happy, safe place, free of idiocy. That does not describe MAL, granted, but that's not the point.

I was trying to have a civil conversation though, he was the one who called my words bullshit from the very beginning. If you look at my past posts, I haven't been aggressive with my language and make my points logically, but apparently its all bullshit to him.
Jul 18, 2016 9:58 AM
Jul 2018
AironicallyHuman said:

Hey, I got it that he blamed her, for not trusting him. It was obvious. So you just said that he blamed himself instead? Could've been both, or not. If were, I'd think the blame was more on Rem. Because he was pretty confident. Which was shattered later on. Oh there was this line "I thought you would understand me..." So she basically disappoints him.
Jul 18, 2016 9:59 AM
Apr 2011
Elgargini said:
Nice episode, but that cliffhanger!

I suppose this creature at the end was a dragon, might have something to do with the jealous witch? if I remember correctly they did mention some dragon in her tale.

Subaru is just repeating the same mistakes over and over again, which-in a psychological perspective- in quite interesting, looking forward to see how he'll pull this off.

Since we know that there are character representing the seven deadly sins in this story; then I guess Priscilla could be lust? well we haven't seen really any succubus-like behavior in her.

If I had to pick a sin for her, it would be Pride.
Jul 18, 2016 10:02 AM

Jun 2016
Every one nailed subaru XD
Jul 18, 2016 10:03 AM
Jul 2018
RainyRai said:
Alright, so I now know that the show doesn't fucking care about Subaru's rapid character change for no reason and is now going along with the idea that arc 1-2 Subaru never fucking existed and arc 3 Subaru is the only one that mattered.

If I decided to forget that I'd probably enjoy the show a lot better.

Oh, man. You people really enjoy ignoring what's occurred. What he's going through must be too complex, huh. There were different circumstances. He didn't have to deal with people at the candidate's level before. And he was bringing Rem with him. He didn't think the issue in the mansion was something he couldn't handle. Because he handled the dogs before (except for the big one). But in his state, he wanted to prove himself that he could. It was selfish of him. You don't have to like it. But don't say that it was OOC. It only applies in an ignored context.
Jul 18, 2016 10:09 AM
Jun 2016
Rehls said:
Bananaoranges said:

If only he hadn't ignored my arguments. That's what he's been doing, if you've noticed. If he brings the same things again, I'll do the same. No need for him to care about it, then.

It happens more often than not. A lot of the negative things people bring up are purely because of their own perspective and nothing to do with how is handling Subaru's character. Honestly, you're not going to change how they see Re:Zero. I personally agree with you, I think the author handled Subaru's character perfectly. In the end it all comes down to your personal tastes, people who dislike the show will continue to do so even if you refute their points. It's hardwired into them, and it's the same for us too.
Pages (24) « First ... « 14 15 [16] 17 18 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Apr 24

21 by Okeanix »»
Apr 27, 4:29 PM

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

250 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
Apr 23, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

527 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 10:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.