Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (42) « First ... « 16 17 [18] 19 20 » ... Last »
Jul 10, 2016 9:15 PM
Mar 2009
gubruikertje said:
Betelgeuse is a rather strange name for a villian (or anything else).
Apparently it comes from the Arabic word for armpit of the giant.

Actually it is derived from Bait-al-Jausa which translates to House of Orion. Also, the reason why one of the stars in the Orion constellation is named Betelgeuse.
Jul 10, 2016 9:18 PM

Apr 2014
ouriel said:
Even tho I knew what was going to happen, I still don't like how the torture scenes were executed; Betelgeuse... well, it's just another over the top badly written sadist that we've seen millions of times in other anime shows, and, after so many bad examples, we're stuck with another one, as if the writers are incapable of writing a better villain without them being irritating due to their sadistic nature and those body tilting positions they always make.
Perhaps, this was (or is what I'm mostly going to be) what I'm annoyed with, especially with characters such as Betelgeuse and their annoying lines that make you go cringeworthy.

Another thing that annoyed me this episode was the twisting of Rem, especially her neck being twisted and still being alive, altho one can probably say that you can buy it because she's a demon and has healing ability. However, the scene, especially the cave scene was redeemable thanks to Rem and the way she acted before she fainted or die.

And lastly, the ending with Puck killing Subaru was quite nicely done, not something that you see often in anime.

P.S. For the love of God, writers, please learn how to create a fucking decent villain.
Major Apocalypse Now spoiler, as that's probably the best written mentally fucked up character.

And this is how you create something without the need of being overly edgy, ala the annoying cave scene.

So yeah, cave scene = bad scene, for me.
Yeah, he was pretty laughable as a villain. Literally was just 'Wow look how EVIL and CRAZY he is! Whooaa! Don't you hate him?' all the time. Like I said earlier, like an Akame ga Kill villain or something.

Dec 2012
What the fuck it's too hard to watch fuck you betelajsdajsdalkd

Dec 2015
s/o to white fox for making me feel every emotion humanly possible
Jul 2016
Episode 15
Sleep...Along with my daughter.
Was that Puck?
Jul 10, 2016 9:19 PM

Dec 2014
For some reason, Betelgeuse reminded me of the rape horse from Berserk. Maybe he's just that fucked up and over the top.

This episode sure deserved better character animation, c'mon White Fox, easely the most emotion heavy episode yet it has probably the worst animation in the whole show until now. The OST was on point though.

Still good, but not quite feeling it like others in here. I just hope they won't pull another AgK at the end...
Jul 10, 2016 9:21 PM

Apr 2014
benjawanksta said:

This episode sure deserved better character animation, c'mon White Fox, easely the most emotion heavy episode yet it has probably the worst animation in the whole show until now. The OST was on point though.
What? The animation was completely fine, especially with Betelgeuse and Ram.
Jul 10, 2016 9:22 PM

Apr 2015
Episode on point O.O
Oh did anyone else realize that Betelguese Romaneé Conti (Idk if that's spelled right), especially the Romaneé Conti part is like the same spelling as the Romaneé Conti wine?
Jul 10, 2016 9:27 PM

May 2009
I'm speechless. Best episode so far.
TheEagleStrike said:
The darkest and most brutal episode so far. The amount of cringe (in a good way) this episode brought was astounding. Amazing.

How do you cringe in good way?
Jul 10, 2016 9:29 PM
Jul 2018
ouriel said:

What's badly written about him? He not being what you'd prefer? Eh.

bastek66 said:
I'm speechless. Best episode so far.
TheEagleStrike said:
The darkest and most brutal episode so far. The amount of cringe (in a good way) this episode brought was astounding. Amazing.

How do you cringe in good way?

Cringe in fear?

neogalactic54 said:
Episode on point O.O
Oh did anyone else realize that Betelguese Romaneé Conti (Idk if that's spelled right), especially the Romaneé Conti part is like the same spelling as the Romaneé Conti wine?

Perhaps that's the joke? That Betelgeuse-type characters are old? Appeared before? And yet, still taste good? He's smart to me. He saw through Subaru's acting... I'm not disappointed. He's also a dying star... Hahahah.
removed-userJul 10, 2016 9:41 PM
Jul 10, 2016 9:29 PM

Dec 2014
Hongu said:

I didn't mean it's bad, it meets the good standard of the show. But until now, we got better than usual animation for the intense scenes, here we didn't.

But now that I think about it, this arc is supposed to be the best yet, and if we are going to get a lot more of this then I understand why they aren't going all out right now.
Jul 10, 2016 9:35 PM

May 2016
benjawanksta said:
Hongu said:

I didn't mean it's bad, it meets the good standard of the show. But until now, we got better than usual animation for the intense scenes, here we didn't.

But now that I think about it, this arc is supposed to be the best yet, and if we are going to get a lot more of this then I understand why they aren't going all out right now.

What are you talking about? There were so many detailed frames this episode. All of them were VERY high quality.

Betelgeuse in particular was very well animated.
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Jul 10, 2016 9:36 PM

Apr 2014
benjawanksta said:
Hongu said:

But the intense scenes looked great? I'm curious as to what scenes in particular you think looked lower in quality. If anything, this episode looks much better than the last three, which were very average.
Jul 10, 2016 9:37 PM

Nov 2015
I absolutely cannot think of anything else that made my jaw drop so hard with the end of that episode. The only thing to come out of my mouth after it was over was W.T.F.

Such an incredible episode. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET THIS BE JUST AS AMAZING ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE LAST EPISODE!!!
Jul 10, 2016 9:38 PM
Jun 2013
recent ep have been pretty shitty and are pissing me off i hate it
Jul 10, 2016 9:39 PM

Mar 2008
This show....just holy crap.

That took a lot out of me. But I can't call it anything less than fantastic. One of the best anime of the year without a doubt.

Rem, you are awesome. Incredible effort to try and save Subaru. Did everything a person could do and more!
Jul 10, 2016 9:39 PM

Nov 2014
iRels said:
ouriel said:

I think I've accentuated enough on the I's, so yeah, he's not what I prefer.
Care to elaborate what makes Betelgeuse so good?
Jul 10, 2016 9:41 PM

Sep 2008
The episode was a masterpiece of darkness and power. This is the best show of 2016 and this was probably the best episode (so far).
Jul 10, 2016 9:42 PM

Apr 2014
Hongu said:
ouriel said:
Even tho I knew what was going to happen, I still don't like how the torture scenes were executed; Betelgeuse... well, it's just another over the top badly written sadist that we've seen millions of times in other anime shows, and, after so many bad examples, we're stuck with another one, as if the writers are incapable of writing a better villain without them being irritating due to their sadistic nature and those body tilting positions they always make.
Perhaps, this was (or is what I'm mostly going to be) what I'm annoyed with, especially with characters such as Betelgeuse and their annoying lines that make you go cringeworthy.

Another thing that annoyed me this episode was the twisting of Rem, especially her neck being twisted and still being alive, altho one can probably say that you can buy it because she's a demon and has healing ability. However, the scene, especially the cave scene was redeemable thanks to Rem and the way she acted before she fainted or die.

And lastly, the ending with Puck killing Subaru was quite nicely done, not something that you see often in anime.

P.S. For the love of God, writers, please learn how to create a fucking decent villain.
Major Apocalypse Now spoiler, as that's probably the best written mentally fucked up character.

And this is how you create something without the need of being overly edgy, ala the annoying cave scene.

So yeah, cave scene = bad scene, for me.
Yeah, he was pretty laughable as a villain. Literally was just 'Wow look how EVIL and CRAZY he is! Whooaa! Don't you hate him?' all the time. Like I said earlier, like an Akame ga Kill villain or something.

Just like Kefka from Final Fantasy VI and yet nobody dares to call him a laughable villain.
Jul 10, 2016 9:49 PM
Jul 2018
ouriel said:
iRels said:

He not being afraid to be seen as bad by others aware of characters like him. Should count, right? Like some guy pointed out, his surname comes from a wine's brand. And his name, from a dying star. Pretty sure now that the author was aware of what someone like you would think of him, hah. Isn't it the same with Reinhard? I had an ad just below my post. It had Reinhard from Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu. So what did you think of Reinhard at first? Didn't mind? He's been done before, right? But you think that it was well? Yeah.
Jul 10, 2016 9:49 PM

Dec 2014
Hongu said:
benjawanksta said:

But the intense scenes looked great? I'm curious as to what scenes in particular you think looked lower in quality. If anything, this episode looks much better than the last three, which were very average.

Ok, maybe my mind went to shit because I was watching some scenes from space dandy before watching the episode. Just watched scenes from earlier episodes and while some did look better this episode was one of the most consistent in quality. The one that was stuck up my mind was the first scene from ep 7, which looks much better than most of the show, so that explains why I thought it didn't look as good.

Indeed, this episode looks better than most, my wrong.
Jul 10, 2016 9:57 PM
Mar 2016
Well that was possibly some of the fastest minutes of my life so far, they sure made me feel things, especially when Rem's body was being twisted. Absolutely amazing ep
Jul 10, 2016 9:58 PM

Jan 2010
Lot's of shock and awe in this episode, I'll give it that. I could really feel the aggression and relentlessness from the Witch's cult too, and the eccentric cultist leader was well executed. Reminded me of Chaos cultists from the 40K universe. Unfortunately I'm still a bit weary investing anything toward Subaru and am still skeptical about any significant character growth. I've seen him get angry before, and I've seen him make progress, only for him to regress more than he's gained. My confidence in him is bankrupt, but the things happening around him have proven so entertaining and interesting that I don't want to give up just yet. I also never get tired of watching him get beaten around. I'd love to see him make some permanent progress though.
Jul 10, 2016 9:58 PM

Dec 2014
TeamDalaiLana said:
benjawanksta said:

What are you talking about? There were so many detailed frames this episode. All of them were VERY high quality.

Betelgeuse in particular was very well animated.

My wrong, it does look better than most of the show. I was talking about Subaru though, he did look better in earlier episodes, but I shouldn't expect them to pull episode 7 level of character animation every single time shit hits the fan.

Just a side effect of watching weekly while watching other shows in the middle.
Jul 10, 2016 10:00 PM
Jul 2016
[quote=-Stray]Just when you thought it couldnt get any more brutal, it just fcking did by a landslide, Seeing the little girl that got her eye removed from her was already fkcing painful enough we then get to see Rem get her body twisted like a fcking marshmallow and crawl towards Subaru to remove the cuffs, this was by far the most painful and twisted episode of Zero, that dude with the Kirito voice must die, and not in a normal stab kind of way, the long and sweet taking your time type of death, the look that Subaru gave after his 2nd revival, those eyes tells us one thing "shit is about to go down... hard."

BTW, was that giant whatnot kind of creature Puck? so he basically killed Subaru 2x then? just wow, if he could have done that then how the fck did everyone got killed? and where the fck was Betty and the overpowered clown dude? werent they supposed to be strong enough to protect Emilia from those mobs?

What do you mean by puck basically killed Subaru twice?Also at the end,dat creature sounded like a motherly figure cuz it said to Subaru b4 ridiculously cuts off his head,"Sleep.....Along with my daughters"?
Jul 10, 2016 10:00 PM
Feb 2016
Since the first time airing, this anime is the only true challenger for steins gate. This episode just prove that. Rem!
Jul 10, 2016 10:07 PM

Mar 2015
I showed my friend (that refuses to watch this) the ending of this episode, great reaction- "Did his head just fall off?!" "He's alive again?!". Oh man, great stuff. I admit that head decap caught me off guard. It was so quiet and quick.
Jul 10, 2016 10:12 PM
Jul 2016
holy shit god dam that was sooooo good oh my god.
I couldn't move for like 5 minutes after the credits started rolling.
I love this anime soooo much.
I wont be able to sleep tonight I am wired after watching that.
Jul 10, 2016 10:14 PM

Feb 2015
What a fucking awsome episode, this anime is totally a masterpiece at this stage.
Jul 10, 2016 10:15 PM

Jun 2011
Tevens said:
Autastic said:
Dies anyone actually know what that cat looking thing was at the end? I thought it might be puck, but the eyes kinda put me off since puck's eyes are green.

i'm assuming the witch ? since it said emilia as it's daughter.

Emilia isn't the witch's daughter. It has been said in previous episodes that Emilia has no relation to the witch. Everyone just assumes she does because she is a half-elf.

That monster in the end was Puck because in a previous episode Puck mentioned that if Emilia were to die, he would cause one hell of a storm. Even though those weren't his exact words, its basically what he said.
Jul 10, 2016 10:18 PM

Jun 2011
dragon2man said:
lightXTC said:
I know this has been said already, but WTF I DID I JUST WATCH? No seriously, I didn't understand wtf happened.

WARNING: EPISODE SYNOPSIS WHICH MEANS SPOILERS!!! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Subaru dies by an unknown entity, he reawakens back to the market, goes into shock at what he just saw, Rem takes care of him, goes into forest and gets ambushed by cult, Subaru taken prisoner, introduce insane cult leader, Rem comes to the rescue, Rem brutally murdered to save Subaru, Subaru freaks out in rage, Rem frees Subaru from chains with the last of her energy and dies, Subaru carries her home, sees mansion filled with dead, sees giant monster on top of mansion (same entity that killed him last time?), monster kills Subaru, reawakens in market again, walking in market and close in on eyes and see a red tint (possessed?)... short version? 23 mins of pure awesomeness and WTFness going on!

A good generalization of the episode, but the monster was Puck and that red tint on his eyes to me, were basically just another way of saying, Subaru is pissed and he isn't taking anymore shit from anyone.
Jul 10, 2016 10:20 PM
Apr 2011
Rayla said:
Tevens said:

i'm assuming the witch ? since it said emilia as it's daughter.

Emilia isn't the witch's daughter. It has been said in previous episodes that Emilia has no relation to the witch. Everyone just assumes she does because she is a half-elf.

That monster in the end was Puck because in a previous episode Puck mentioned that if Emilia were to die, he would cause one hell of a storm. Even though those weren't his exact words, its basically what he said.

I wouldn't say no relation, but she definitely doesn't want anything to do with her. But yeah, I don't even know how you could mistaken giant puck as the witch. That thing doesn't even look human/ half-elf. :V
Jul 10, 2016 10:21 PM

Jan 2016
i can't believe i got spoiled by the fucking .ASS file style labels
Aug 2015
Its Seins;gate-ing us. WE ALL KNEW THIS WAS COMING WHEN WE SAW THE DIRECTOR.

Apr 2015
"Sleep"
"Along with my daughter"

assuming this is puck, then Emilia is indeed his daughter. and if 4chan spoilers are to believed

still, despite how freaking OP most of the characters looked, no one can literally stand against Subaru's rewind power.
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Jul 10, 2016 10:23 PM
Jul 2016
so when Subaru died the first time in this episode in that room where it was so cold your body would fall apart when he was following what we can only assume was Emilia's blood trail. Do you guys think that the icey stuff in that room was the after affect of the one move Emilia mentioned in episode 3 that would wipe out everything except for her?

Nov 2014
iRels said:
ouriel said:

He not being afraid to be seen as bad by others aware of characters like him. Should count, right? Like some guy pointed out, his surname comes from a wine's brand. And his name, from a dying star. Pretty sure now that the author was aware of what someone like you would think of him, hah. Isn't it the same with Reinhard? I had an ad just below my post. It had Reinhard from Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu. So what did you think of Reinhard at first? Didn't mind? He's been done before, right? But you think that it was well? Yeah.

At one point in time, I might've said that he was good, but looking back now, Reinhard is just another 2 dimensional character and have plenty of deus ex machinas that save him from situations in which he shouldn't have been saved, and that's bad writing. He's logical because the writer makes him to be logical, not because he's actually logical, and a good script will make things look naturally logical, a bad script will make things look artificial. Luckily, there were other characters that were better written than him, i.e., some of the minor characters. So, in other words, Reinhard barely acted like a human, and when you don't act like a human, you cannot evoke emotions, thus, you're unable to relate to the actions that that character is going to do.

Here's another example, the actor who played Hitler(Bruno Ganz) in Der Untergang, along with the great script for the movie, things flowed naturally, there was a portrayal of human emotions, and you're able to relate, despite the fact knowing what he had done to great many people.
Even with the link that I posted, Colonel Kurtz, who's a distant character, you're able to relate to him due to the reasons for why he is the way he is.

Now, when you have characters such as Betelgeuse, you're unable to relate to them, because of how fucked and stupid the things is that they're saying, things that barely even some with heavy mental disorders wouldn't say(I'm talking about those who are institutionalized), on top of this, their actions are even more ridiculous that makes it more of a laughing matter than taking it seriously and being actially terrified by what they're actually capable of doing.
Betelgeuse is on the same level as Caster, being edgy for the sake of being edgy, not because they're terrifying, nor are there portrayal of human emotions, nor do you achieve such a thing with that body tilting, nor with that script for Betelgeuse, so he's pretty unrelatable and cliched villain that's overpowered.
And this is the reason why I don't find his character enjoyable or interesting.
Jul 2016
Does the main character subaru get better or does he stays a puzzy for he rest of the show im tired of watching him cry and get his ass beat
Jul 10, 2016 10:26 PM

Mar 2016
[quote=Sherapp_Staph]
-Stray said:
Just when you thought it couldnt get any more brutal, it just fcking did by a landslide, Seeing the little girl that got her eye removed from her was already fkcing painful enough we then get to see Rem get her body twisted like a fcking marshmallow and crawl towards Subaru to remove the cuffs, this was by far the most painful and twisted episode of Zero, that dude with the Kirito voice must die, and not in a normal stab kind of way, the long and sweet taking your time type of death, the look that Subaru gave after his 2nd revival, those eyes tells us one thing "shit is about to go down... hard."

BTW, was that giant whatnot kind of creature Puck? so he basically killed Subaru 2x then? just wow, if he could have done that then how the fck did everyone got killed? and where the fck was Betty and the overpowered clown dude? werent they supposed to be strong enough to protect Emilia from those mobs?

What do you mean by puck basically killed Subaru twice?Also at the end,dat creature sounded like a motherly figure cuz it said to Subaru b4 ridiculously cuts off his head,"Sleep.....Along with my daughters"?

Does puck not frequently refer to Emilia as his daughter in the anime? because I know he does in the LN.

*Sigh* that people don't immediately realize who the beast is when he utters that line is no doubt in large part due to the Emilia/Puck scene that was cut from the candidate gathering part two episodes back. It's a shame really.
Jul 10, 2016 10:26 PM

Jan 2014
Better Episode, capture very well the emotions of characters.

Obviously he has some control over it, has he started speaking and stop pretending like 1000 years war PTSD patient who lost it all and give up in life, It wouldn't be that bad...

How I love Betelgeuse treats our MC, he needs a good teacher that can teach him how shitty and ignorant he is in this world, hope he gets killed over and over by betelgeuse until he cured himself of his obsession and PTSD b.s

Rem suffer is kind of too much to watch, and she didn't die instantly, so all that pain she has felt...

P.s
And spoilers need to stfu not everyone read the novel and obviously not everyone cares about your true love or want to know anything about it, we want to enjoy the anime.

The show is O.k. but It's very annoying some spoilers and self-inserters keeps harrassing people.
rorimoeJul 10, 2016 10:36 PM
Jul 10, 2016 10:32 PM
Jul 2016
If i were to say anything about this episode, it would be "Holy fucking shit." But then again that can be said about most of the episodes.
Jul 10, 2016 10:32 PM

Apr 2015
Some minor details in this episode

in loop 1, apparently Emilia was able to hide in Betty's library only to be killed later, Puck hasn't lost his insanity here yet, which is why he can still comment something more sane like "you're too late".

in loop 2, Emilia is killed way earlier, Ram is killed outside the mansion instead of inside, and Puck's rampage is long before ongoing.

the difference between two loops is that Subaru (and Rem) went to the mansion "earlier".
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Jul 10, 2016 10:33 PM

Feb 2014
I felt like I needed to share this here

im sorry
Tokoya said:
adapatations are not supposed to be carbon copies of source materials and until the anime community in general can accept that and judge an anime based on what it presents and how they handle every episode, these threads will continue to be filled with hate posts by purists
Jul 10, 2016 10:33 PM

Mar 2016
kidlat020 said:
"Sleep"
"Along with my daughter"

assuming this is puck, then Emilia is indeed his daughter. and if 4chan spoilers are to believed

Jul 10, 2016 10:36 PM

Apr 2015
AnimeWatcher34 said:
Does the main character subaru get better or does he stays a puzzy for he rest of the show im tired of watching him cry and get his ass beat

u would get ur ass beat by the small dwarf like thug in the back alley watcha talkin' about son!
Jul 10, 2016 10:37 PM

Jun 2011
FononZero said:
Rayla said:

I wouldn't say no relation, but she definitely doesn't want anything to do with her. But yeah, I don't even know how you could mistaken giant puck as the witch. That thing doesn't even look human/ half-elf. :V

I would say Emilia has no blood relation to the witch is all. Perhaps Emilia knew the witch before those actions? Seems plausible.

Puck is nothing more than a spirit. He's definitely not the witch.
Jul 10, 2016 10:41 PM
Apr 2011
kidlat020 said:
Some minor details in this episode

in loop 1, apparently Emilia was able to hide in Betty's library only to be killed later, Puck hasn't lost his insanity here yet, which is why he can still comment something more sane like "you're too late".

in loop 2, Emilia is killed way earlier, Ram is killed outside the mansion instead of inside, and Puck's rampage is long before ongoing.

the difference between two loops is that Subaru (and Rem) went to the mansion "earlier".

Wait so they were hiding in the library?? lol, I would have barricaded that door with every fcking bookshelf in the library.
Jul 10, 2016 10:42 PM

Jul 2015
Rocksterrock said:

im sorry

And I saved that picture. :'D
Re:Zero nice troll ending.
Jul 10, 2016 10:42 PM

Aug 2011
I was in pure shock from the middle of the episode till the end. I couldn't blink, worried I miss something (cause fuck rewinding that shit aRE YOU KIDDING ME). I couldn't breath. Everything didn't sink in till I read reddit, mal and tumblr posts. My heart physically hurts. Forget best girl, Subaru is best guy like damn d00d.

I'm trying so hard not to cry right now.
Jul 10, 2016 10:43 PM
Jul 2018
Rocksterrock said:

im sorry

MY SIDES ARE IN ORBIT
Pages (42) « First ... « 16 17 [18] 19 20 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2016

823 by llord-00 »»
34 minutes ago

Poll: » Beatrice kinda hot ( 1 2 3 4 )

sti-v-boi - Oct 8

173 by Szalonytomek32 »»
3 hours ago

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

254 by Kaydansnk »»
Yesterday, 12:20 PM

Poll: » Anyone Else Caught Off Gaurd By This Show?

The_p1kachu - Oct 16

17 by Rayane-47 »»
Oct 19, 3:55 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2016

730 by AugustoFKL »»
Oct 15, 7:29 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.