Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Mar 11, 2016 7:36 PM

Jan 2016
I always read information and opinions about an anime before starting it, but still I just watch what I find enjoyable without minding about if other people judge those animes I enjoy as bad. After all for me watching anime is a hobby and hobbies are meant to be enjoayble so..
Mar 11, 2016 7:41 PM
Jul 2014
CherryLover said:
AltoRoark99 said:
@CherryLover Don't like it, don't watch it. Simple as that.

The thing is, shows that I don't like are being talked about so much. And the misconception that it is good is stinging. If they were just discarded to the side, it would lessen the agony quite a bit.

I really hope you suffer then. It's very stupid and childish of you to say that it is a misconception that a show is good just because you don't like it. I shall continue to use "feminazis" because there are people out there such as yourselves arguing against entertainment that is completely harmless and only offends people that deserve to be offended (people who disgust me). There is yaoi and shows like Free with all the dudes and there muscles because equality. BRING ON THE BOOBS AND PANTIES! MAKE ANIME GREAT AGAIN!
Mar 11, 2016 7:41 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
"As long as people are happy, it's ok"

YES

"As long as people are happy, nothing should change"

eh... not necessarily

still too broad a question..... theres happy and non happy anime fans

which one are there more of? idrk... but at the end of the day, theres always going to be an anime
for you.. if not.. that just kinda sucks.. don't watch

@BadSuns

you know how much of society is

sexualize a man...... no one says anything or they admire his physique

sexualize a woman..... OH GAWD, NO! THEYRE TRYING TO RUIN THIS FORM OF MEDIA, AND ONLY PANDERING TO LONEY 15 YEAR OLD BOYS
EcchiGodMamsterMar 11, 2016 7:45 PM
Mar 11, 2016 8:26 PM

Aug 2008
To be more accurate "As long as it sales, it's ok'.

Come on, what right does illegal downloader/theft here in MAL have to say if the anime is ok or not?
ZapredonMar 11, 2016 8:55 PM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Mar 12, 2016 12:44 AM

Dec 2012
Zapredon said:

Very much true, but still - relatively true.

Come on, what right does illegal downloader/theft here in MAL have to say if the anime is ok or not?

Even thieves these days have standards! :)

Why is it OK?

Having three meals today doesn't mean we won't eat tomorrow.

Why it isn't OK.

We can't have only cereals, lest three times a day. Right?
Mar 12, 2016 12:47 AM

Aug 2008
zellami said:
Zapredon said:

Why is it OK?

Why it isn't OK.

But if you don't pay for it, the Japanese studio won't listen or create anime that pander to your taste and any future anime you watch will be bad to you because it does't cater to your standard.
ZapredonMar 12, 2016 12:58 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Mar 12, 2016 12:48 AM

May 2015
What are these bad anime? What are units of measurement?

I do think people should be critical of their entertainment. We shouldn't watch something and think 'oh, it's fun'. Entertainment is expression of human thought. We like it for a reason and learning these reasons and can help grow and learn. However, I don't want to point to specific anime and say 'this is horrible and people shouldn't watch this' flippantly. There's a lot of anime I consider crap, but being critical means being aware someone will prove you wrong one of these days.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 12, 2016 1:13 AM

Dec 2012
Zapredon said:
zellami said:

Why is it OK?

Why it isn't OK.

But if you don't pay for it, the Japanese studio won't listen or create anime that pander to your taste and any future anime you watch will be bad to you because it does't cater to your standard.

Fortunately, I am not the only buyer, user, and THIEF :D

This innocent comment of yours opens the can of the anime industry issues, my friend :) And as far as I could be concerned, the anime industry needs better offers for international viewers in terms of prices and means of paying.
Mar 12, 2016 2:45 AM

Aug 2015
I watch what I like and am not bothered about what others like or dislike. Art is subjective. You can't just force your opinion down somebody's throat. When somebody tells me that my taste in anime is horrible, that the anime I liked is bad, or that the anime I disliked is good, I couldn't care less.

In short: I watch what I want, and let others watch what they want.
Mar 12, 2016 3:06 AM

Jan 2009
People should just watch whatever they think is entertaining.
It'd also be nice, if people stopped taking it as a personal insult when someone doesn't like what they like.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Mar 12, 2016 4:53 AM

Aug 2008
zellami said:
Zapredon said:

This innocent comment of yours opens the can of the anime industry issues, my friend :) And as far as I could be concerned, the anime industry needs better offers for international viewers in terms of prices and means of paying.

Japan consumers got no problem paying it. Don't see why it's a problem for international unless, people who complain about quality of anime today happen to be jobless or underpaid people while those who got no problem with quality of anime today got high paid. But then again, there's also the option of paying through Crunchy Roll which is the cheapest and easiest way for the international to support anime.

Mar 12, 2016 5:41 AM

May 2014
Please stop summoning buzzwords like "feminazi" and "SJW" to defend yourself, your waifus, and your fap material. I especially hate when people over-simplify and generalize feminism, even though I'm no expert. I'm sure you can have better arguments than that. Also, "Don't like it, don't watch it" is on the same level as "you can't say whatever is bad if you can't make something better". Also, let's not talk about objectivity and subjectivity in such a way. I'm not saying that it's not interesting and relevant, but it's usually so boring (little advertising for a friend who wrote something cool on that subject) and an excuse for not having a proper debate (like the "it depends on the execution"). Of course there were some interesting and nuanced opinions in this thread too, thx. :)

TripleSRank said:
KonaKoffee4 said:
Although in my opinion the worst are the people who say "Old anime was the best, new anime is shit. Anime after the year 2000 went down hill" because they ignore all the great series that have come out since then.

I'm a bit interested in why you mention this group in particular. The "new anime is best, old anime sucks" group is much, much larger and their claim is equally obnoxious, whereas I can only think of a couple regular users on MAL who unironically claim what you said.

OT: This question is way too open-ended to answer one way or another. Make it more specific.

I couldn't agree more with you, and I developed my thoughts more here. Are these questions more precise?
"Is it ok to be passive consumer who eats whatever studios has to offer?"
"Is it ok to not try to evolve and stay in its comfort zone?"
parazeMar 12, 2016 5:48 AM
Mar 12, 2016 8:02 AM

Aug 2015
Oh. A feminist is in here? Can we discuss Wollstonecraft, Woolf, and Beauvoir?

As far as the original poster goes, of course if someone is happy with an anime that they watched, it is okay, if we buy the idea that the only that matters in this world is if you enjoy yourself. I find that to be a bit ignorant, but it's not my place to tell people otherwise.
Mar 12, 2016 9:29 PM

Nov 2009
GamerDLM said:
A couple things I would have to call into question. First off if a person enjoys it then that pretty much states to that particular person they do not believe what they're watching is bad. Saying "people who watch bad anime" means you are immediately forcing your subjective opinion onto other people's preferences. I mean sure people who like shows are often willing to acknowledge their flaws, but if they're willing to look past them because they enjoy it then the show isn't bad.

This. Very much this.
So many people claiming that their way of evaluating anime is better than other people's. It's not. There is no reason that plot holes or panty shots invalidate interesting themes or the mood a viewer craves.

paraze said:
People who only enjoy anime like Asterisk War and High School DxD are unlikely to discover new things on their own, in fact, they often don't want to. All that matters is how cute / sexy the girls are, and badass the protagonist is, even though they're watching crappy series that insults their intelligence (of course and hopefully, everything is not black or white, but I think you get the idea).

Stuff like Umaru-chan promotes such consumer habits, and shows how awesome escapism can be (not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, I wouldn't be so fond of the anime medium otherwise, but like most things, it's better in moderation). I'm not being very original here, and I know that the industry is somehow still running thanks to these shows, but if fans don't evolve (tastes-wise, as human beings, etc.), it will continue to be flooded by <generic description of generic trash anime>. And it's not like they're encouraged to do so. I think yet another comparison to McDonald would fit here.

You know, just because you can't appreciate <popular class of anime> doesn't mean it does not change. By its nature, anime has a lot of inertia, so it's very hard for it to move along with the times - first, an author has to get tired of something that is present now, and write a book that makes things better. Then, the book has to become popular enough to be made into anime - that alone probably takes a few years, as the studios seem to have advance plans of anime to make.
Think of anime industry as a moe girl that tries to run after you, but she's slow and often trips and falls where there's nothing to trip over.

Kuma said:
wait, what anime intertainment industries purpose if not entertain people and grab money? did we not live in same universe?

Well, stagnating would not entertain people. Getting too locked into a single target audience would not entertain people (as a whole).

CherryLover said:
First of all, stop using that term "feminazis". It's degrading and causing feminism to be misunderstood by dimwitted people who only like spouting memes. Second of all, not all guys like sexualised things. I know a few male friends who support feminism that are just as disgusted by the exponential increase of fanservice in anime as us. Furthermore, it's like saying some people are hardwired to like killing people and they should just do so because they can't change. That's just an extreme overgeneralisation.

Yes, not all feminists deserve to be called "feminazis". The people who want to ban anything sexual do deserve it.
Also, people are hardwired to like killing people, so violent movies and games should exist. The same reasoning applies to sexy anime.
Trying to take away sexy stuff in entertainment is just going to make things worse in reality.
Mar 13, 2016 12:04 AM

May 2015
Moneta said:
Oh. A feminist is in here? Can we discuss Wollstonecraft, Woolf, and Beauvoir?

As far as the original poster goes, of course if someone is happy with an anime that they watched, it is okay, if we buy the idea that the only that matters in this world is if you enjoy yourself. I find that to be a bit ignorant, but it's not my place to tell people otherwise.

I think it's our place to tell people otherwise, just as they should tell us otherwise. We are all wrong in some ways. What's important is that we don't use force on anyone.
Mar 13, 2016 12:13 AM
May 2014
Lol its funny how we talking shit about manga and Anime writers and whether or not their having fun is nonsense if they didn't enjoy it they wouldn't write period. Plus they put so much effort into their works that may or may not even be serialized you need to treat these writers in the same respect you would an athlete in terms of their skills being on a higher level then most of ours let's be honest I'm a good writer but I've never written a book. Anime and manga is an art/ entertainment industry so as long as someone enjoys reading the work than I'm sure the writers feel satisfied plus art is subjective do you like the same food as your dad because your family? No. Saying other people's taste is something for you to decide is presumptuous and if you disagree with that statement you're an egomaniac end of story.
How fitting (or depressing I haven't decided) for my 100th post to be about me complaining about dicks who review shows without finishing them.
Mar 13, 2016 12:19 AM
May 2014
I think it's our place to tell people otherwise, just as they should tell us otherwise. We are all wrong in some ways. What's important is that we don't use force on anyone.
Lol somebody shoulda said that to Louise...
msrcaliMar 13, 2016 12:22 AM
How fitting (or depressing I haven't decided) for my 100th post to be about me complaining about dicks who review shows without finishing them.
Mar 13, 2016 12:25 AM

Nov 2014
Of course, the whole point of a show is to get people to enjoy it whether the audience be niche or not. Its called entertainment for a reason although not everyone is going to enjoy the same thing.
ShixmaMar 13, 2016 12:39 AM
Mar 13, 2016 12:30 AM

Nov 2014
CherryLover said:
AltoRoark99 said:
@CherryLover Don't like it, don't watch it. Simple as that.

The thing is, shows that I don't like are being talked about so much. And the misconception that it is good is stinging. If they were just discarded to the side, it would lessen the agony quite a bit.

Just because you dont enjoy it =/= its bad and saying because no one talks about the shows you watch. Actually, I don't even know what to say to that, keep living in your fantasy world.

Why did I take the bait.
ShixmaMar 13, 2016 12:44 AM
Mar 13, 2016 12:38 AM
May 2014
Why did I take the bait.
And all you got was a Magikarp, what a shame.
Mar 13, 2016 4:47 AM

Dec 2012
Zapredon said:
zellami said:

Japan consumers got no problem paying it. Don't see why it's a problem for international unless, people who complain about quality of anime today happen to be jobless or underpaid people while those who got no problem with quality of anime today got high paid. But then again, there's also the option of paying through Crunchy Roll which is the cheapest and easiest way for the international to support anime.

Then again. CR have region restrictions and they haven't changed for me since 2008. I'm still waiting, not because I am interested in removing the ads or even the simulcast, but because some part of the money will reach the anime industry (I hope).

Second, I doubt CR licenses come close to the amount of anime an average Japanese anime viewer is able to watch in the homemarket. It's kind of obvious, especially if not-new/older series are involved.

And third, there was a topic in the News section about a manga magazine removing questionnaires for (Japanese) customers, because what readers said they'd LIKE to read in terms of serialization, didn't match the SALES later. Back to this topic, the connection between sales and taste (=creative decisions by the anime industry) is not that direct as we make it up to be. At least not to the point at which we would be bashing each other tastes, while we are not supposed to control the industry in the first place, just because some of us happen to buy anime stuff, others cannot or don't.
Mar 13, 2016 5:43 AM

Aug 2008
zellami said:
Zapredon said:

Then again. CR have region restrictions and they haven't changed for me since 2008. I'm still waiting, not because I am interested in removing the ads or even the simulcast, but because some part of the money will reach the anime industry (I hope).

Second, I doubt CR licenses come close to the amount of anime an average Japanese anime viewer is able to watch in the homemarket. It's kind of obvious, especially if not-new/older series are involved.

And third, there was a topic in the News section about a manga magazine removing questionnaires for (Japanese) customers, because what readers said they'd LIKE to read in terms of serialization, didn't match the SALES later. Back to this topic, the connection between sales and taste (=creative decisions by the anime industry) is not that direct as we make it up to be. At least not to the point at which we would be bashing each other tastes, while we are not supposed to control the industry in the first place, just because some of us happen to buy anime stuff, others cannot or don't.

The money you paid Crunchy Roll does goes straight to the industry. Anime industry that receive money from Crunchy Roll are happy with it.

Most of your money goes straight to the industry

Gao couldn’t reveal to me how much of your Crunchyroll payment goes back to anime publishers because of nondisclosure agreements. But he did say that publishers are “ecstatic” about the revenue they receive, and that publishers probably wouldn’t agree to work with Crunchyroll in such large numbers if they were getting such a bad deal.

http://otakujournalist.com/where-your-crunchyroll-dollars-really-go-an-interview-with-the-ceo/

Do you mean this one?

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1488279

Only one magazine, Young Magazine the 3rd decided to cancel it. I don't think other magazine have such issues. Besides, as ichii said, manga sales is also influence by production of anime. However, we are not talking about manga sales here but anime sales.

Mar 13, 2016 6:33 AM

Apr 2015
If people enjoy garbage, they're free to eat it; entertainment can be had from the crappiest of things. Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm, Bubuki Buranki, Dagashi Kashi, Divine Gate, Gate, Luck & Logic, Norn9: Norn + Nonet, Phantasy Star Online 2: The Animation
Mar 13, 2016 7:28 AM

Mar 2015
flannan said:
Kuma said:
wait, what anime intertainment industries purpose if not entertain people and grab money? did we not live in same universe?

Well, stagnating would not entertain people. Getting too locked into a single target audience would not entertain people (as a whole).
changed is also can be the way entertaining people. human is dynamic crature, not stagnan creature. so also things that produced by them.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 13, 2016 7:47 AM

Jan 2008
Mamster-P said:

YES

eh... not necessarily

which one are there more of? idrk... but at the end of the day, theres always going to be an anime

@BadSuns

sexualize a woman..... OH GAWD, NO! THEYRE TRYING TO RUIN THIS FORM OF MEDIA, AND ONLY PANDERING TO LONEY 15 YEAR OLD BOYS

I've talked about this in another thread about fanservice.

When it comes to anime, there is hardly any fanservice that focuses on men - you really can't compare the two.

For every one episode where they sexualize a man, there're about 30 more scenes that they sexualize girls.

The thing that people seem to also get confused about is a man with shirt off flexing abs = fanservice.

No.. I want to see bulge shots.

Just like how with fanservice focused on women, they constantly do panty shots, boob shots, touching up, sexual poses, spilling mayo on breasts... etc

There is no sexualisation of men in the anime industry (unless you look at yaoi or bara, but we're not talking about that.)

But the whole sexualizing of women (well girls in most shows) doesn't really need to happen as much as it does.
Mar 13, 2016 7:52 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
@Rojo

That's cause most anime is made by straight men and most straight men probably don't want to draw those things... lol
Mar 13, 2016 8:13 AM

Jan 2008
Mamster-P said:
@Rojo

That's cause most anime is made by straight men and most straight men probably don't want to draw those things... lol

Exactly. And also that a lot of anime fans seem to be male, so it tends to cater to their needs.

So people saying that men are also sexualised in anime is far from true.
Mar 13, 2016 8:16 AM

Dec 2013
Robiiii said:
U mean watching something appaling like Mars of Destruction cant make u happy? What wrong with u? D:

Taking it not serious it... It becomes an amazing comedy show
Mar 13, 2016 8:24 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
@Rojo

If you think men aren't sexualized then idt you watch anime lol

Theres plenty of shows flaunting men's bodies, look at like, puri puri prisoner in one punch man, or free! Or even the Japanese version of the DragonBall series

Can't help that males tend to enjoy cartoons and vgs more than women so it's obv gonna cater more to us
Mar 13, 2016 8:34 AM

Jan 2008
Mamster-P said:
@Rojo

Theres plenty of shows flaunting men's bodies, look at like, puri puri prisoner in one punch man, or free! Or even the Japanese version of the DragonBall series

Can't help that males tend to enjoy cartoons and vgs more than women so it's obv gonna cater more to us

Unless you're a gay man or a straight women you can't really say what is fanservice for us. The PuriPuri prisoner is a laughing joke, if anything he is the worst thing ever as he just makes the gay community look like a joke (but we're not here to discuss lgbt stuff). He's made as a walking stereotype and there's little to no fanservice from him. His jumping around naked doesn't equal fanservice. The fact that you've used him as an example just goes to show that there's hardly any fanservice and that you don't know what you're talking about.

I can't really comment about the othere shows as I haven't watched them. But I remember someone saying that all Free is, is shirtless kids swimming and no real fanservice like everyone was hoping.

If you read my original post, I want to see close up bulge shots, bouncy butts and touching up. That hardly every happens.

Though really, I don't need this. I don't need fanservice at all in anime, from men or women.

But the point still stands MEN are hardly ever sexualised in anime like women are.
Mar 13, 2016 8:45 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
@Rojo

I can't really help you there, as long as straight men dominate the industry ur gonna mostly see stuff meant for straight guys

Yea it's not fair on homosexuals or girls but that's just how its been... will there be more in future? Probably

Food wars has s bit if I've seen it
EcchiGodMamsterMar 13, 2016 8:48 AM
Mar 13, 2016 8:47 AM

Dec 2015
Rojo said:
Mamster-P said:
@Rojo

Unless you're a gay man or a straight women you can't really say what is fanservice for us. The PuriPuri prisoner is a laughing joke, if anything he is the worst thing ever as he just makes the gay community look like a joke (but we're not here to discuss lgbt stuff). He's made as a walking stereotype and there's little to no fanservice from him. His jumping around naked doesn't equal fanservice. The fact that you've used him as an example just goes to show that there's hardly any fanservice and that you don't know what you're talking about.

I can't really comment about the othere shows as I haven't watched them. But I remember someone saying that all Free is, is shirtless kids swimming and no real fanservice like everyone was hoping.

If you read my original post, I want to see close up bulge shots, bouncy butts and touching up. That hardly every happens.

Though really, I don't need this. I don't need fanservice at all in anime, from men or women.

But the point still stands MEN are hardly ever sexualised in anime like women are.

I do have to agree with this, there are more women who are sexualized because of who they think wants to see that. They assume "this is what straight men want". So it makes sense why you don't see as many male characters being sexually degraded. However, I have seen series where men are being degraded, but it may not be in a sexual manner (and in some they try to pull the whole masochist thing that I don't fall for).

But to be honest, oversexualization in a degrading way is more prominent in other forms of entertainment and media than anime will ever have.

On top of that, there is a difference when an anime is using sexuality in a degrading way and when an anime is just an ecchi where the character has large breasts. Even some cases there are series where the characters are fully clothed, but more degraded than the female characters in ecchi.

Also,
I can't speak for all women like me, but I would never consider shows like free! fanservice lol they just swim and they're only shirtless because they swim.
KonaKoffeeMar 13, 2016 8:50 AM
Banner credit to @turnip
Mar 13, 2016 6:30 PM
Feb 2014
Mamster-P said:

YES

eh... not necessarily

@BadSuns

Pretty much all of this. Anime fans need to understand they have no control over the medium, and thank the lord they're not sending their hoardes of SJWs and pseudo-critics to mess with Japan.
Mar 13, 2016 6:35 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
@Nico-

this this and more this lol

this is why you NEVER see me complain about anime, you only see me complain about people who complain about anime

SWJ's are some of the WORST... thats part of the reason its gonna suck when japans population is so low they start allowing a lot more people in..... ppl will bring their censorship and offense and it will ruin anime
Mar 14, 2016 12:54 AM

Apr 2013
paraze said:
Cons:
  • The people who created these cancerous to below average anime probably prostituted themselves in order to survive and didn't have lots of fun making it, to say the least
  • Consumerism, consumerism everywhere, No comment
  • Too much escapism kills the escapism
  • Fans are encouraged to stay in their comfort zone, to not think, and to not evolve

• Just an assumption, "probably prostituted themselves"... or maybe they enjoyed it, who knows?
  • What?
  • Again, what?
  • Why do I have to evolve my taste in what I enjoy? I don't get a better person because I suddenly start enjoying mecha and drama too.

So yeah, watch what makes you happy.
Mar 14, 2016 1:19 AM

May 2014
@Gator, sure working on yet another trash with mindless fanservice and action must be so enjoyable and artistically fulfilling. I'm neither saying that every single modern anime is like that, nor that their staff necessarily didn't enjoy making them. But just read few interviews about A-1 Pictures for instance, watch few documentary, etc. There were almost no efforts put in Tokyo Ghoul or Asterisk War, and that's the proof that the people who made it wasn't passionate and / or didn't have the freedom to actually make something at least average that has few merits. Also, see this.

@Nico-, sure it's totally not the ones who put lots of money in the industry (hi otakus) who control it.
Mar 14, 2016 1:27 AM

Apr 2013
paraze said:
@Gator, sure working on yet another trash with mindless fanservice and action must be so enjoyable and artistically fulfilling. I'm neither saying that every single modern anime is like that, nor that their staff necessarily didn't enjoy making them. But just read few interviews about A-1 Pictures for instance, watch few documentary, etc. There were almost no efforts put in Tokyo Ghoul or Asterisk War, and that's the proof that the people who made it wasn't passionate and / or didn't have the freedom to actually make something at least average that has few merits. Also, see this.

Give me a source or everything you say is still just an assumption that doesn't matter. And oh wonder, animation studios want to make money. Still doesn't mean they had no fun animating it.

"People who only enjoy anime like Asterisk War and High School DxD are unlikely to discover new things on their own, in fact, they often don't want to. All that matters is how cute / sexy the girls are, and badass the protagonist is, even though they're watching crappy series that insults their intelligence (of course and hopefully, everything is not black or white, but I think you get the idea)."
Oh yeah, but people who enjoy anime like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann or Neon Genesis Evangelion are? That's one of the dumbest things I've read in this forum so far and I've been here for a while.
Mar 14, 2016 1:29 AM

Mar 2014
No, it's not OK

People who like bad things are bad and they should feel bad
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 14, 2016 1:31 AM

May 2015
KonaKoffee4 said:
Rojo said:

I do have to agree with this, there are more women who are sexualized because of who they think wants to see that. They assume "this is what straight men want". So it makes sense why you don't see as many male characters being sexually degraded. However, I have seen series where men are being degraded, but it may not be in a sexual manner (and in some they try to pull the whole masochist thing that I don't fall for).

But to be honest, oversexualization in a degrading way is more prominent in other forms of entertainment and media than anime will ever have.

On top of that, there is a difference when an anime is using sexuality in a degrading way and when an anime is just an ecchi where the character has large breasts. Even some cases there are series where the characters are fully clothed, but more degraded than the female characters in ecchi.

Also,
I can't speak for all women like me, but I would never consider shows like free! fanservice lol they just swim and they're only shirtless because they swim.

In general, the fanservice in anime isn't as bad as Western media. Most female characters, even when their breasts are flaunted, do more than this. They tend to have some kind of personality and often take the center of the plot. Freezing is a perfect example. Sexiness is important there, but the female characters also dominate the story.

In plenty of Western films, you have female characters whose sole role is to be female like Star Wars' Rey.

Nov 2009
KonaKoffee4 said:
Also,

Well, would you also say that Strike Witches isn't a fanservice show? They aren't wearing skirts (proudly displaying their panties) just because nobody in that setting wears skirts!
I still think that Umisho (which is another anime about a swimming club, but with more girls) is quite fanservicey, because there is a lot of girls in swimsuits there. I haven't actually watched Free.

Oct 2011
People enjoying anime regardless of quality is fine, it becomes bad when they attack other shows without giving sound criticism.
Mar 14, 2016 1:35 AM
Feb 2014
paraze said:
@Nico-, sure it's totally not the ones who put lots of money in the industry (hi otakus) who control it.

You say that as if that is a bad thing. If you had the money, time, and patience, only you could make a difference by bringing you and your kind to Japan and bulk ordering the stuff you like so the otaku can "go away." See how much of an ideologue you sound like? Projection isn't cool.
Mar 14, 2016 1:38 AM

Nov 2009
paraze said:
@Gator, sure working on yet another trash with mindless fanservice and action must be so enjoyable and artistically fulfilling.

Why not? Why do you think making beautiful things isn't fun, and making complicated action sequences isn't a challenging work?
Mar 14, 2016 1:58 AM

May 2015
_Peksi said:
People should just watch whatever they think is entertaining.
It'd also be nice, if people stopped taking it as a personal insult when someone doesn't like what they like.
This one here knows what the fuck's up
Mar 14, 2016 2:00 AM

May 2014
@Gator
http://kotaku.com/evangelion-creator-predicts-the-death-of-anime-1706738732 (look at the three links at the end: 1, 2, 3)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba55wWnEn3s (you can search the full video on google I think) --> to see what some passionate people can do if they're given the freedom to make what they want
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPzeO5iPJ4M --> same
http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2014/05/a1-pictures-animator-suicide-caused-by-overwork
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2009/03/04/national/future-of-anime-industry-in-doubt
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/01/30/ghiblis-hayao-miyazaki-says-the-anime-industrys-problem-is-that-its-full-of-anime-fans

And just look at the amount of lazy LN / manga / whatever adaptation we get every season.

Also, Gurren Lagann is one of the most popular anime of all time, and is appreciated by non-mecha fans, newcomers and connoisseurs. What are you talking about. I think I get what you mean when you talk about Evangelion (blah blah blah hipsters who think that every modern anime is shitty and circlejerk with others elitists... even though I'm exaggerating, am I wrong?), but it's total non-sense. Evangelion is even more popular than TTLG, and like TripleSRank said, "The 'new anime is best, old anime sucks' group is much, much larger" than the group claiming that modern anime sucks and retro is better.

Have you watched ME! ME! ME! (NSFW but still safer than DxD... well, maybe not) by the way? :)

Edit: @Nico- I was just stating the obvious, you said that people didn't have the power to control the anime industry, but it's wrong.

@flannan, could you give me some examples of those beautiful and complex animated sequences?
parazeMar 14, 2016 2:15 AM
Mar 14, 2016 2:20 AM
Feb 2014
paraze said:
@Gator
http://kotaku.com/evangelion-creator-predicts-the-death-of-anime-1706738732 (look at the three links at the end: 1, 2, 3)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba55wWnEn3s (you can search the full video on google I think) --> to see what some passionate people can do if they're given the freedom to make what they want
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPzeO5iPJ4M --> same
http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2014/05/a1-pictures-animator-suicide-caused-by-overwork
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2009/03/04/national/future-of-anime-industry-in-doubt
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/01/30/ghiblis-hayao-miyazaki-says-the-anime-industrys-problem-is-that-its-full-of-anime-fans

Also, Gurren Lagann is one of the most popular anime of all time, and is appreciated by non-mecha fans, newcomers and connoisseurs. What are you talking about. I think I get what you mean when you talk about Evangelion (blah blah blah hipsters who think that every modern anime is shitty and circlejerk with others elitists... even though I'm exaggerating, am I wrong?), but it's total non-sense. Evangelion is even more popular than TTLG, and like TripleSRank said, "The 'new anime is best, old anime sucks' group is much, much larger" than the group claiming that modern anime sucks and retro is better.

Have you watched ME! ME! ME! (NSFW but still safer than DxD... well, maybe not) by the way? :)

Edit: @Nico- I was just stating the obvious, you said that people didn't have the power to control the anime industry, but it's wrong.

@flannan, could you give me some examples of those beautiful and complex animated sequences?

>quoting Kotaku

Here's your (You).

And I read your OP, so how dare you disrespect glorious U・M・R hai UMA janai yo. That show ironically perfectly describes where everyone is happy, what's wrong now? Do you not like people being happy? Well, I smiled at least 20 times watching that show if not more, and I learned quite a lot from that show. What I learn from anime does not come from the content of the show, but the experiences that I obtain while watching. This show taught me to have fun while watching anime, in which it only succeeded and made me a happier and hardier person. But to you, and your "humble opinion" it's representative of "consumerism" which we all know is clearly bait from your end yet you clearly deny that thereof.
Mar 14, 2016 2:24 AM
Feb 2014
Aaaaaandddddd, since you didn't read this, OP

Nico- said:
This fanbase is too polarized to make everyone happy. But then again, anime is already diverse enough to make us all happy in some way.

If anything, it's those who won't try new things that fall victim to new creations. Maybe if they bothered watching things instead of resorting to blanket projection, they'd seem less like ideologues and more like actual critics, observing things instead of making a mockery out of it. There's also always the ignore option, but we all know that gets widely ignored.

I suggest you try and read this an actually come up with a critically thought response. We "consumerist otaku" actually know why we like things and that does not mean we are evil, mentally retarded, "autistic" shut-ins with no lives. To do so is simply projection and nothing more on your silly "humble opinions" that reek of ideological self-fulfilling prophecies, inductive fallacies, straw men, and slippery slopes on your end.

It's almost impossible to talk about anime in real life because of this alone.
AqutanMar 14, 2016 2:32 AM
Mar 14, 2016 2:43 AM

Nov 2009
paraze said:

I don't actually notice the quality of animation unless is sinks too deeply, so you should ask somebody who does.
Highschool of the Dead is remembered for its combat animation sequences, like the one where a bullet flies between bouncing breasts, so you can start there.
Mar 14, 2016 4:46 AM

Nov 2009
paraze said:

Yes, I did.
There is more than one way to interpret that anime (as it's some kind of poetry in anime form), but one thing can be said for sure: it's moralistic. I distrust moralists, because they're the people who are likely to lead you to only loneliness and unhappiness with their views which are always outdated.
Mar 14, 2016 5:58 AM

Dec 2015
flannan said:
KonaKoffee4 said:
Also,

Well, would you also say that Strike Witches isn't a fanservice show? They aren't wearing skirts (proudly displaying their panties) just because nobody in that setting wears skirts!
I still think that Umisho (which is another anime about a swimming club, but with more girls) is quite fanservicey, because there is a lot of girls in swimsuits there. I haven't actually watched Free.

If you want to call that fanservice then go ahead, but all I am saying is that the clothing of the characters don't always mean they are being degraded. It has to do with what is going on and the intent.
It's a no brainer for people in free! to have shirtless scenes because they're on a swim team.
If people want to call that servicing to the fans that's fine, but that doesn't mean they are being degraded.

TheBrainintheJar said:
KonaKoffee4 said:

Also,

In general, the fanservice in anime isn't as bad as Western media. Most female characters, even when their breasts are flaunted, do more than this. They tend to have some kind of personality and often take the center of the plot. Freezing is a perfect example. Sexiness is important there, but the female characters also dominate the story.

In plenty of Western films, you have female characters whose sole role is to be female like Star Wars' Rey.

In western media they tend to be hypocritical with this idea of "sex sells, but when you looked like a slut that deserves no respect. Sell us sex anyways though, k thanks".
At least in anime there are many female characters with very little clothing that are still highly respected, even in ecchis. They are not always portrayed to be "whores" or women who are lesser than when compared to a more modest female character. Also, many of these characters don't behave like useless bimbos who can't do anything but show off.

Just because a character dresses in a certain fashion doesn't mean they are being degraded. So when people see exploitation of sexuality they need to ask themselves how and what is going on in that particular scene.
Banner credit to @turnip
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 2 hours ago

24 by EverRealm »»
56 seconds ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 8 hours ago

28 by Jackson1333 »»
2 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

65 by Piromysl »»
7 minutes ago

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 3 hours ago

58 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Favorite Beater in anime

Catalano - 33 minutes ago

3 by KittenCuddler »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.