Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 8, 2009 11:22 AM

Jun 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA SOUND NOVEL BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I just got back from the Animesuki forums, where I read that they apparently used Rahu Goldenslaughterer (Explanation: one of the most famous background tracks from the game, composed by zts) for the first twilight... which is awesome beyond words. Still waiting for the raw to confirm the awesomeness. Wonder how they managed to pace so much material in a single episode yet again.
Sii_KeiJul 9, 2009 12:33 PM
Jul 8, 2009 11:26 AM

Feb 2008
confused_kitsune said:
they apparently used Rahu Goldenslaughterer for the first twilight

Awesome.

Will wait for subs now.
Jul 8, 2009 12:18 PM

Jun 2006
Yep they in fact did use Goldenslaughter. That was awesome! x3
Jul 8, 2009 12:43 PM

Nov 2008
Some random thoughts after watching raw:

Krauss said:
Let's put a huge padlock on this door. Nobody will guess we're hiding something valuable in there.

"There's no culprit but Beatrice, and Maria is her Messenger." And the Messenger freaks out when reading her Mistress' letters.

It's only me, or Kinzo looks 5-10 years younger than usual when talking with Natsuhi?

Love the expression Nanjo had when Genji whispered in his ear about you-know-what ;)

In this episode, Kyrie, Kanon, George and Shannon at least said something more than "good morning" or "Battler, calm down". Did I hear Kyrie say "chess"?

No mackerel. Gohda and Krauss are left undeveloped (although they weren't developed in the VN in the first place).

The pacing is much better - introductions are over, so let's get to the bloody stuff.

The magic circle should really be that big?

PS. I don't add raws as "watched episodes" on MAL, cuz I simply don't understand a word, and I'll wait for subs now.
Jul 8, 2009 1:01 PM

Jul 2008
This episode was definitely better than the first one ! I really liked it.

Gonna re-watch after the subs are out though ~ n_______n

Jul 8, 2009 1:02 PM

Jun 2007
Just watched it streaming, couldn't wait for torrents anymore.

Not only did they use goldenslaughterer, but also Closed my heart, sasorinoharawata and a bit of witch in gold cenba. +1 for music.

Now onto the episode itself:

First half still felt rushed, but second was done extremely well. Especially the Kinzo and Natsuhi scene. Natsuhi actually got so much development in this episode (would have wanted a bit more of her interaction with Jessica though). <3 But we got to see Natsuhi's sleeping face, which wasn't shown in the novel at that part when they showed where everyone was and what they were doing. (But maybe that was because there's no sleeping sprite. xD)
I'm really disappointed that they skipped the seat order explanation, I thought they would include it before dinner. Seemed like a pretty crucial piece of information. Also, no mackerel. :( Maria was a teeny bit too exaggerated while reading the letter. Actually, in the beginning everything seemed sort of random, and the gold scene was done as if 'yeah, there's this scene here too, ya know.' I loved the George and Shannon part though; too bad there was no hope used in the background.

And man, I know it's an adaptation, but the whole mansion and garden seem so different from the game... oh well. xD

Overall: I'm actually really pleased, was a much better episode than the previous one. Could have been better, but there's no use complaining.

Oh, and Maria was watching the Higurashi Kai Ura, wasn't she? xD

Edit: Forgot to mention; glad Kyrie got her badass time (lol at finger snap). And man, Battler screaming in the end was done so much better in the Drama CD... yet Jessica's yell was amazing.

Edit2:
Sii_KeiJul 9, 2009 2:53 AM
Jul 8, 2009 1:08 PM

Sep 2007
rahu_goldenslaughterer at the 1st twilight and sasorinoharawata just before the end of the first day... AWESOME.
I'm loving this more each time I watch it.
Jul 8, 2009 1:51 PM

Mar 2009
And here I thought they would censor that gory scene in the end.Not that im complaining..
Jul 8, 2009 2:14 PM

Jun 2007
The huge padlock made me laugh. Nothing suspicious in there at all.
Jul 8, 2009 2:17 PM

Jul 2008
I loved Maria reading the letter :)
Jul 8, 2009 2:20 PM
Oct 2008
Wow, this is terrible. They're completely butchering the material, which in itself wouldn't be so bad if they weren't cutting out essential character development.

Not even goldenslaughterer can save the debauchery that was this first twilight.
Jul 8, 2009 2:33 PM

Jun 2008
Yeah, this was pretty disappointing. I was happy to hear that goldenslaughterer was in it but I think the game music doesn't go well with the anime. And Battler didn't scream long enough. I was really looking forward to hearing him scream D:
At least Jessica's screaming was good and sleeping Natsuhi was cute <3

Everything else was pretty poorly done.

edit: And I liked the scene with George and Shannon. Anime Shannon is cuter than game Shannon.
Jul 8, 2009 2:54 PM

Feb 2008
Maria was quite scary there. :P

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jul 8, 2009 4:56 PM

Jul 2009
I think they have showed the most of the importent stuff and did it good.

But am I missing the "Turn the chessboard over" part?

my, my, my

Oh and Maria will be much more scary next time for sure ; )
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear ist the fear of the unknown.

H.P. Lovecraft
Jul 8, 2009 6:43 PM

Sep 2007
Just as many others I felt a bit rushed too at first, but well the other story arcs will take up much more eps, so they need to hur a bit ^^'
Still I think that as an adaptation the anime is pretty well done. Of course the original game is much more awesome, but well it's just an adaptation.

Also, I loled at Maria watching Higurashi on the television :D
Jul 8, 2009 6:59 PM
Mar 2008
Man, they're really cutting a lot of character development out. On the plus side, http://umineco.info lists episode 5 as "I-V fool's mate", so it looks like at least three episodes are left to cover the first game, which should give them some time to slow down and build some paranoia before the climax.

goldenslaughterer was disappointing; they started it in the middle, meaning they didn't play that sound effect at the beginning of the track that really sets the mood. sasorinoharawata, on the other hand, was awesome.

This episode confirmed my suspicions that Hideyoshi's voice actor is bad. Maybe it's due to whatever accent he's supposed to have, but he just sounds bored the whole time, even at the end of the episode.
Jul 8, 2009 7:37 PM

Aug 2008
glasnost said:
This episode confirmed my suspicions that Hideyoshi's voice actor is bad. Maybe it's due to whatever accent he's supposed to have, but he just sounds bored the whole time, even at the end of the episode.
Jul 8, 2009 8:53 PM

Dec 2007
very nice episode!
maria face scary xD
Jul 8, 2009 9:34 PM

Oct 2007
no subs yet :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2009 9:36 PM
May 2009
Once again, pretty well done for putting so much material into such a short time period. Obviously there wouldn't be as much development and explanation as the VN and manga, but I think *most* of the important segments have been relayed without the whole thing being too rushed.

Overall, good episode.
Jul 8, 2009 10:12 PM

May 2008
Some nice interior decorations.

I didn't think they'd so blatantly turn Maria into Beatrice's mouthpiece, but whatever. The lack of uuu in this ep was nice.
Jul 8, 2009 10:53 PM
May 2009
GG released theirs. Watching this even if just for the integration of the game OST.
Jul 8, 2009 11:07 PM

Oct 2008
6 people dead already. I love this show.
Jul 8, 2009 11:13 PM

Sep 2007
Wow.... 6 dead people just like that in the 2nd episode. How crazy was that?

Someone want to start explaining this "goldenslaughter" and "first twilight" or whatnot that's mentioned in this thread?
Jul 8, 2009 11:22 PM

Aug 2008
Wasabi said:

Someone want to start explaining this "goldenslaughter" and "first twilight" or whatnot that's mentioned in this thread?

Goldenslaughterer is one of the best (if not THE best) bgm of the whole game, the one played when they found the corpses in the shell.

About the first twilight, well. Read Beatrice's epithaph. Here.

*cackle*cackle*cackle*
Jul 8, 2009 11:41 PM
Jan 2008
poor shannon -.-
Jul 8, 2009 11:53 PM
May 2009
Wasabi said:

Here's goldenslaughter: http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DxAupQUUglkU&ei=bZNVSqzFD4v0sgPcj5zKDg&sa=X&oi=spellmeleon_result&resnum=1&ct=result&usg=AFQjCNFj-09-UaDwNYVHsomL6NFbRcxRtA" target="_blank">http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DxAupQUUglkU&ei=bZNVSqzFD4v0sgPcj5zKDg&sa=X&oi=spellmeleon_result&resnum=1&ct=result&usg=AFQjCNFj-09-UaDwNYVHsomL6NFbRcxRtA
Jul 8, 2009 11:57 PM
Jun 2007
Too bad for people who played the game, this is an anime discussion. Please leave all the game BGM somewhere.

Anyways, that was a great episode~
Jul 8, 2009 11:59 PM

May 2007
Ukyo9 said:
Wasabi said:

Goldenslaughterer is one of the best (if not THE best) bgm of the whole game, the one played when they found the corpses in the shell.

2nd best is dreamenddischarger!

a lot of novel's music is always good and i'm glad the first twilight wasn't so censored (i can still hope for the 2nd episode 1st twilight >__<)
Jul 9, 2009 12:16 AM

Feb 2008
Damn, 6 out of 18 people already dead and right on the 2nd episode no less. I'm starting to really love this show :3
Jul 9, 2009 12:34 AM

Feb 2007
don't fucking post if you didn't watch subs or UNDERSTAND THE RAW.

As for the OP, fuck you for not even watching the raw and making this post.

Just fuck you.

:/

p.s. NO ONE GIVES A FUCK WHEN YOU SAY "there are no subs yet."

edit: This ep was better than the first one, I thought. Less "UUU" was nice. I wish I could marathon this show.
Jul 9, 2009 12:40 AM
Feb 2009
Oh no, Shanon... it's always sad when young big-breasted female dies. :'(

That was creepy, 6 people dead already. Just wow.
Jul 9, 2009 12:40 AM
May 2009
Damn. Just watched it. Pacing still hasn't improved. Still skimping on major character development. Scenes were done wrong. Things were made corny. Scenes were disjointed.

...what was the director thinking?
Jul 9, 2009 12:41 AM

Feb 2008
glasnost said:
Man, they're really cutting a lot of character development out. On the plus side, http://umineco.info lists episode 5 as "I-V fool's mate", so it looks like at least three episodes are left to cover the first game

There should be another episode for the Tea Party as well.

selective_yellow said:
complaining

Take it easy.
Jul 9, 2009 12:46 AM

Feb 2007
Veronin said:
selective_yellow said:
complaining

Take it easy.

No.
Jul 9, 2009 12:53 AM
Apr 2009
Holy shit, that was awesome.
Jul 9, 2009 1:05 AM

Mar 2008
07th expansion does it again. Although it seems the game griefers won't be satisfied until the show becomes a thirty-hour long video of someone scrolling through the game text.

Six of their beloved family members have just been killed in cold blood. What could the survivors be thinking? The murderer must still be on the island. Is it an outsider? Is it one of them? Is it the housing staff? Revenge must be on the mind, as well as concern for their own wellbeing. They could run away from the island, but they'd never find the killer, or be able to avenge their family.

It seems unplausable for a single individual to have killed six people overnight. Moreover, the killer couldn't be among the dead; after all, the corpses have been disfigured after death. What was the killer's motive? There has been talk about the distribution of wealth after the family head's death among the adults, and the suspicion of a hidden cache of gold as well as the legend of Beatrice. Which of these weigh into the equation, and to what extent?

There's also the issue of the blood markings on Natsuhi's door and on the shed. Does the scorpion charm have any bearing on the door markings? What is the significance of the magic circle? To have created it must have taken a long time, and the time window for the killings is only about six hours. Is it the work of Beatrice? Will the family be taken in by superstition, or will they cling to a logical explanation?

Only rarely can a show get so much moving in just the first two episodes.
Jul 9, 2009 1:09 AM

Jul 2008
Good episode. Though, it still seems rushed (4 chapters of the manga in one episode) it keeps to the plot not leaving any of the important parts out.

I was actually hoping there would be a bit more about George and Shannon, but it will have to do.

The final scene, was OK, nothing too gruesome. Maria's big blue eyes were even scarrier than in the first episode and thank god it seemed the "U!" became shorter, which is a good thing since it was a bit too long in the first episode.
Jul 9, 2009 1:19 AM
Jul 2018
Wow, that was intense, didn't think they will slaughter 6 people right away after introduction ~~
Jul 9, 2009 1:22 AM

Apr 2009
confused_kitsune said:

Thank you very much for the spoiler. How lovely.

Yay, axe-crazy eyes xD And was Maria watching Higurashi? o.o
I feel bad for George :(
I need to play the game.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jul 9, 2009 1:31 AM
Oct 2008
Cenedess said:
confused_kitsune said:

I need to play the game.

It's not a spoiler.
Jul 9, 2009 1:39 AM

Apr 2008
First, I'd like to say that Maria watching the Higurashi Kai DVD shorts on TV made my day.

Second, wow. That was such an improvement over the first episode (surprise surprise). Granted, this is the part where the VN hooked me, too, but I got the Umineko shivers all over again watching it all animated.

Maria's letter reading was perfect. Her face during the whole thing made the scene, and I think it should give her some comeback after the uu- incident that people seemed to hate so much. Speaking of which, I think I caught only one or two quick uu-'s in the entire episode for those who care.

I was (more than) a bit disappointed at how they rushed through the chessboard talk, so hopefully they'll explain that concept more as it becomes increasingly important. I'm also still not a fan of the Battler-commenting-on-big-boobs scenes, but whatever, it doesn't completely kill the show for me, and I didn't like them in the VN either.

Back to the pluses, the second half of the episode was awe-inspiring. Natsuhi got some much-needed development with the Kinzo scene, and everything that happened starting the next morning was exactly what this show needed, and captured exactly what I loved so much about the VN's first chapter. I was also pleasantly surprised at how lenient the censors were on the faces. The one tiny complaint I had about the second half is that George's proposal scene seemed a little awkwardly executed. It was quickly made up for, though.

Voice acting was great all around, BGM was apparently awesome (I rarely listen for it on my first watchthrough, and I'm not one of those guys who can identify the VN's music by name) and it added a great deal to the mood, and I still love the OP and ED themes (ED is growing on me more and more each time I hear it - I guess I'm getting used to the guy's voice). Animation was serviceable, although I did notice one scene where Genji and Nanjo were walking kinda funny.

Things are getting good... ^_^

Sheepdude said:
it seems the game griefers won't be satisfied until the show becomes a thirty-hour long video of someone scrolling through the game text.
This. There's always the crowd like that.

The Earth King has invited you to Lake Laogai. You will be honored to accept his invitation.
Jul 9, 2009 1:40 AM
Mar 2009
Like I said in the episode 1 discussion thread, the ones who have played the game/visual novel will find all the faults in the story, like saying the story is being rushed and not enjoy it to the fullest. Thank goodness I'm an anime only watcher where I can enjoy it to the fullest and if the visual novel is better, that would be a bonus.

As far as the episode goes, it got better (or worse in this case), many more mysteries are popping up and murder has begun, the first move it is. I think the next few episodes will determine how for real this anime is.
HaiShangJul 9, 2009 1:52 AM
Jul 9, 2009 1:41 AM

Jun 2007
Cenedess said:
confused_kitsune said:

I need to play the game.

Should it be considered a spoiler when it's information you should already long know? The first 10 minutes of the game, you learn that.

Well.. rereading. It's worded poorly. Kyrie is Battler's step-mom.
LunarEmeraldJul 9, 2009 1:44 AM
Jul 9, 2009 1:55 AM

Apr 2008
PsychFreak said:
I think the next few episodes will determine how for real this anime is.
Having finished only the first chapter of the VN, all I can say in response to this is =)

The Earth King has invited you to Lake Laogai. You will be honored to accept his invitation.
Jul 9, 2009 1:56 AM

Jun 2007
MarthX said:
Cenedess said:
confused_kitsune said:

Should it be considered a spoiler when it's information you should already long know? The first 10 minutes of the game, you learn that.

Well.. rereading. It's worded poorly. Kyrie is Battler's step-mom.

Ah, well, sorry for the poor wording. But honestly, they should mention it already, otherwise half of Episode IV would make absolutely no sense at all. It's kinda like the
in Higurashi, which was never mentioned in the anime, but consisted a crucial part.

Drengot said:
Too bad for people who played the game, this is an anime discussion. Please leave all the game BGM somewhere.

Why should we leave the BGMs when they're included in the anime?... had Umineko been like Higurashi, with a complete new soundtrack, there would have probably been less talk concerning music. But since Umineko is a sound novel, and since they're using remixes of the game tracks, and since we're appreciating that, why should we not discuss about it?
Jul 9, 2009 2:04 AM

Jan 2008
Hahaha, holy crap that's more like it.
Jul 9, 2009 2:11 AM

Jul 2008
Whoa, the scene when Maria was reading the letter was amazingly creepy. And I haven't played the game or anything, but I still thought this episode was a bit rushed and disjointed (/ducks from bricks), but it wasn't terrible enough that I didn't enjoy the show. I'm quite glad we're jumping into things, also the one-winged eagle symbol is awesome.
Jul 9, 2009 2:13 AM

Sep 2008
Mmmm already getting extremely exciting, can't wait for the next episode. <3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 9, 2009 2:14 AM

Jun 2007
Maybe for future episodes. Two threads should be created. One for the visual novel players and one for the anime only watchers.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.