Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Nov 24, 2009 9:02 PM

Jun 2009
Taro_Kun said:
Beatnik said:
Why do you think we've got numerous movies that keep retelling the ending?

Why? Because ignorant viewers such as yourself thought it better to bash the TV ending instead of just analyzing it. Now of course, Anno was planning to use the script that was EoE for the last 2 episodes, but the producer said they could not.

There is no way in hell the content of EoE could have been broadcast on a TV station anyway.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 25, 2009 11:59 AM

Aug 2009
insan3soldiern said:
There is no way in hell the content of EoE could have been broadcast on a TV station anyway.

It is true that the finalized script, for what is now EoE, could not have aired during prime time. I think, and could be wrong, that Anno originally intended to make the storyline of the EoTV be that of EoE's, this is evident in the still images that are seen in both episode 26 and EoE, such as Asuka in unit-03 below the lake and Ritsuko lying in the pool of LCL. The EoE script must not have been as 17+ content wise at the time of the last 2 episodes and Anno must have just decided to greatly revise the original script fo EoE after he was told he could not use it for the TV ending.
Ikari_Shinji_kunNov 25, 2009 12:04 PM
Nov 25, 2009 4:28 PM

Jun 2009
Taro_Kun said:
insan3soldiern said:

It is true that the finalized script, for what is now EoE, could not have aired during prime time. I think, and could be wrong, that Anno originally intended to make the storyline of the EoTV be that of EoE's, this is evident in the still images that are seen in both episode 26 and EoE, such as Asuka in unit-03 below the lake and Ritsuko lying in the pool of LCL. The EoE script must not have been as 17+ content wise at the time of the last 2 episodes and Anno must have just decided to greatly revise the original script fo EoE after he was told he could not use it for the TV ending.

Which means that, overall, it was good thing that EoE was made into a movie imo.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 26, 2009 2:17 PM

Apr 2009
I really love it. I understand Sinji's feelings and story. For those, who watched this anime for the relations of the characters - this ending is just perfect. All the story he was weak, but the only at the end he understands that he was the reason for his weakness, not the others.
Yeah, the plot wasn't explaned :\ and that's bad.
Anyway 10/10.
Nov 27, 2009 8:22 PM

Mar 2009
From what I'm reading, now I understand why there wasn't a straight story here...very deep stuff for an anime.
I do appreciate the ending and I can relate to it in my own life. Worth watching again.
Nov 30, 2009 12:00 AM

Oct 2009
Beatnik said:
Although I like the ending, I still see it as the director trying to cover his ass with an unconventional ending peppered with philosophical (or just solipsist?) ramblings. He knows he has run his story into a brick wall, his narrative is shot to hell, but he's got enough pride that he doesnt want to turn it into a generic action climax, so he goes the other way and into the mind of the protagonist. He betrays the consistency of the series, which is a big no-no in my mind, unless you provide little indicators along the way that this is where we're going to end up, but everything we've had to that point was in one style, and the ending was in another.

Why do you think we've got numerous movies that keep retelling the ending? Sure, the fans and popularity had some influence on that, but I think more stronger than that was the director's own dissatisfaction with how he ended the series, so now we get endings that are more in line with the rest of the series, in style, tone, and yep, action too. The EoE ending is superior in that it doesnt break consistency, but still retains the unconventional approach and shows us the inside of these characters without patronising voice overs, we see it through their actions and reactions, as it should be.

EDIT: Of course budget is a big reason for the ending too, but I think just blaming the budget is a cop-out, these people arent clueless, you can still make a tense ending with minimal locations and characters.

Thanks, I really appreciated this post. I agree that it was an interesting episode, but I mean c'mon, what happened to the whole giant alien robots trying to destroy the earth story? wtf were seele, adam, Lillith, etc? what really caused second impact? Even though I can see what the director was going for, this ending was really unsatisfying and didn't answer any of the questions raised by the series.

Congratulations! I'm gonna watch EoE now.
Dec 7, 2009 11:02 PM

Mar 2009
I actually loved the ending :D
that's probally just because I'm not really into action stuff and more into characters overcoming things.
I wasn't expecting it to be that deep of an anime so I was like wow...that's super :D haha
Dec 8, 2009 9:54 AM

Apr 2009
Wow, what a horrible way to end an otherwise decent series. It's as if they just ditched the entire premise of the other episodes and went with Shinji trying to find meaning in his life. I feel like I've been slapped in the face.
Dec 8, 2009 10:06 AM

Jan 2008
Taro_Kun said:
Beatnik said:
Why do you think we've got numerous movies that keep retelling the ending?

Why? Because ignorant viewers such as yourself thought it better to bash the TV ending instead of just analyzing it. Now of course, Anno was planning to use the script that was EoE for the last 2 episodes, but the producer said they could not.

That's not what my sources indicate. In fact, he was forced to write the ending stylized in Death/Rebirth and EoE ex post facto, because his ending of the TV series received such negative feedback from many fans. The TV ending is the way he intended to leave it. It is more insightful and, in some ways, far more real than EoE.
~ Mr. Panda // Twitter: @ManlyBats
~ The Anime Historian
~ Fleet Admiral, Manly Battleships®
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Follow Mr. Panda's VCR of DOOM! review series here. Now on YouTube!
Dec 11, 2009 1:29 AM
Jun 2009
Thread tl;dr

Anyways, from my point of view, ep 25 and 26 are just kinda random and doesn't really give any form of conclusion. I think this is the 1st time I fell asleep watching anime. Evangelion was good at first, and went downhill somewhere after the middle. Really downhill. I didn't like the long periods of silence for some of the episodes.

Not my cup of tea I guess. (especially the last 2 eps)
Dec 21, 2009 2:17 PM
Nov 2009
I liked and hated the ending. So I can't really vote. It was good for Shinji getting over his depression and such, but bad cause the anime stopped. I liked the previous episodes a lot more, but still it was a nice ending.
Dec 22, 2009 9:41 AM

Sep 2008
KuriYokan said:
Thread tl;dr

Anyways, from my point of view, ep 25 and 26 are just kinda random and doesn't really give any form of conclusion. I think this is the 1st time I fell asleep watching anime. Evangelion was good at first, and went downhill somewhere after the middle. Really downhill. I didn't like the long periods of silence for some of the episodes.

Not my cup of tea I guess. (especially the last 2 eps)

Those two last episodes of the series have concluded the subplot (the study of characters). The long periods of silence have a meaning as well: they show the perplexity, the hesitation of characters. How often a person, because of fear, hesitation or something similar, keep his mouth quit and doesn't move?

As the entire series, films and Rebuild i've liked it a lot.
Dec 26, 2009 4:51 AM

Apr 2009
I don't think that Eva went downhill in the middle, IMO they are just explaining the true story not just ordinary robot fights,as for the last 2 episodes,well at first I didn't love it, just re watch it after you watch EoE,
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 28, 2009 1:36 AM

Dec 2009
Haha now I can see why this is the most controversial anime.

To me, obviously, there has been a lot of thought and detail that has been put into this work. It stands out amongst anime because of the material, the themes, the style, pretty much everything. For me, it is definitely insightful and brilliant, but I can see how people feel ripped off after watching the first 24 episodes.

It's too difficult for me to make a judgement call on this, it is what it is. I can't say it is bad, but I can't say it's amazing either.

As this anime has so carefully pointed out, in the end, reality is what you alone make of it.
Dec 30, 2009 1:37 PM
May 2008
I for one liked the psychological ending, with Shinji fighting his own negative subconscious thoughts.

However, as far as the story outside of the characters was completely tossed aside, at least in the TV series. I haven't seen the movies yet, but I imagine a lot of the loose ends will be tied up there.

9/10
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jan 7, 2010 7:36 PM
Oct 2009
I was really liking the last 2 episodes until it actually finished.. And then I was left really unsatisfied. This is it?

Shinji's psychological journey was executed well, but there were so many questions left unanswered. I understand Shinji's growth is the "real" story of Evangelion, but that doesn't mean you can just ignore everything else that has been building up for 24 episodes.

Loved the series, would've loved the ending if it wasn't actually the ending.

I'd leave this at an 8 for now, I'll watch EoE and maybe revise this later.
Jan 7, 2010 7:39 PM

Dec 2009
tl;dr
anything eva is good enough for me.
Jan 9, 2010 6:57 AM
Jun 2008
Worst ending to an anime that I've seen to date. my god >_>;;

Well said!
Jan 24, 2010 3:15 AM

Apr 2009
wahaha,,Death Note's ending is the worst not Eva's.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2010 5:29 PM

Jan 2010
The last 5-6 episodes were totally weird and the last two were just unnecessary.

The ending was weird, because it doesn't really explain a thing. Just 40 minutes of mental breakdown followed by an applause from everybody...
Feb 2, 2010 10:43 PM

Aug 2009
This was originally going to be rated a 9. The last two episodes dropped to a 8.
Feb 5, 2010 8:56 AM
Jul 2009
The ending didn't really do anything at all. Could have been worse though. I'll just have to watch the movie next.
Feb 20, 2010 7:48 AM

Jan 2009
In my opinion the ending was very good. It's hard to explain, but I like the way they depicted different ways of perceiver's relating to his perceptions of the world concretely affecting the life of the perceiver. Complementation of the people by the instrumentality of man as the reason to live is also a theme I have earlier encountered in philosophy and I see it as the vital cornerstone in this series. Previously mentioned themes were linked to Shinji the most, but the other characters also had their unique problems and ways of living almost directly applicable to various philosophic theories.

I think it would be better though if all the themes of the two last episodes wouldn't have been so concentrated in the end of the series but would have been more exposed in the whole story. I'm almost sure that I'll get more out of the series during the possible re-watches. This is one of the few anime I'll re-watch not because of the story or characters but because of the themes this series is centered around.
Mar 4, 2010 4:43 PM

Jul 2008
I didn't like the ending at all. If I was like 12 years old I would have really appreciated the ending, but I'm not so most of what Shiniji figured out was plain common sense.
I might have gotten lost in the last two episodes. What about the Evas and Angels....? Was it b/c the 16th Angel came that something happened?

I did enjoy seeing everyone's past so we can better understand why they act the way they do.
Mar 4, 2010 4:44 PM

Jan 2010
The ending pissed me off. The movie did absolutely nothing to fix that.
If you see some kind of ulterior message in the ending, please tell me.
Mar 8, 2010 2:04 PM
Mar 2010
Ending was OK. I liked it better than the one EOE had.
Mar 9, 2010 4:45 PM

Sep 2007
I loved the ending and the message that it delivered. Sure as some posters have said, most of the ideas and knowledge that Shinji developed and formed in the past two episodes seems like common sense, but it wasn't what he figured out that made me like this ending. Rather, it was why he felt the way he did. It isn't the how that has plagued man for centuries when it comes to anything from philosophy to science to religion, but rather the why. I really liked this ending though I also agree that it may have been a bit too condensed and rushed for a mere two-episode ending. Perhaps he should have ended at 24 episodes and merely released a five episode OVA or something instead of ever making just a two episode ending. Idk, but overall I really, really, liked this series and see why it has gotten such high reviews.
Mar 9, 2010 7:19 PM
Feb 2010
You know, when I originally watched this I didn't care so much for it.

Now that I've rewatched it I love the ending, but I think you have to have been pushed over the edge and suffered from bouts of depression/suicidal thoughts/PTSD to really truly understand and 'feel' it.While many of the realizations Shinji makes are supposedly 'common sense', you also have to understand that depression alters the way people think.

Also this
Euphoriacide said:

But I really enjoyed the probing of each of the major character's minds. And even though the obvious lack of budget annoyed me at first, I learned to appreciate it. It's like a minimalist stage play-just like how the art style was bare and raw, so the characters' psyches are laid out bare and raw for us to see. Not to mention that the ending of the episode-where we see that Shinji does progress toward learning to love himself, and then the rest of the cast congratulating him, was touching, for me.
Mar 18, 2010 2:41 PM
Mar 2010
Wow. I see a lot of people are left confused. Here's what happened. The angels were sent to Earth because they wanted to destroy NERV and SEEL for "playing God". That's why you see angels drilling holes and stuff trying to reach NERV. The second Impact was to bring a stop to Nerv and SEELS toying with life and creation. After all of the Angels were destroyed, the people in charge at SEEL could continue playing God without any interruptions. After the last angel was destroyed, SEEL killed off all the pilots to the EVA's, Shinji's Guardian and the Blond haired scientist. (That's why you see them lying on the ground dead, shot to death). The scientist was killed because she exposed secrets to Shinji's guardian and Shinji's guardian was killed because she knew the truth behind everything. (And she was the guardian of 2 EVA pilots) So if she told the children the truth behind it all, it would not end up good for Ikari's plan. You also heard Rei say that they would have no use for her very soon. Remember when Ikari ordered the crew to take over Shinji's Eva but the crew said that the mechanism to do that wasn't ready to be used? Well it worked, so that showed you that the EVA could be operated without a pilot controlling it. Once all of the Angels were destroyed, Ikari killed everyone off and created a mass production of EVA's. From there he was able to take over the entire world WITHOUT EVA pilots. I'm not sure on the exact episode but somewhere in the mid 10's you hear Ikari's plans on taking over the world with EVA's. That's why SEEL was beginning to become wary of him. So when the show went over all of the characters pasts and psychological stuff, they were actually dead and coming to peace with themselves.

Hope I summed it up.
Mar 21, 2010 4:17 AM

Aug 2009
@blue4113: what the hell? that's not what hapenned in the End of Evangelion...(the true ending, not in Shinji's mind)

SEEL made the mass production EVA's, not Gendo

Gendo didn't kill everyone either (except "the blonde scientist")

Please go watch the movie.
Apr 2, 2010 12:44 AM

Mar 2009
Terrible ending to what otherwise would have been a spectacular series.
Apr 5, 2010 8:35 AM

Jul 2009
Great series but i dislike the ending. Maybe i must watch the movie to see the alt ending.
Apr 5, 2010 5:14 PM
Feb 2010
We should start a riot.
Apr 10, 2010 7:45 AM

May 2009
Hey! What about us ending-likers and EOE-dislikers?
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Apr 17, 2010 1:08 PM

Nov 2008
Congratulations, Gainax!

You succeeded in damaging my brain irreversibly.

After watching the last ep:
- I put my forehead on the table and sat mindlessly for about one minute
- then I looked in the mirror and laughed at myself
- then I began walking in circles around my room, with my mind filled with chaotic thoughts
- then the beer I drank while watching NGE forced me to visit a toilet
- in the toilet I felt alive again
Now I'm off to watch South Park. My brain needs to be fixed up.
Apr 25, 2010 10:11 PM

Apr 2009
i watched the last minute all i saw was

"congratulations" x 100

looks very strange, looks this show doesn't even make sense
Apr 27, 2010 3:40 PM
Apr 2008
I quite liked the ending despite its absurdity. If you've been concentrating you'll know what they're all doing in each others minds. It's a shame that the studio was forced to make it this way to deal with its own collapse, it was too big a change for me to fully accept this ending... I'm gonna need to see End of Evangelion to finally decide if this series wasn't just a flash in the pan.

May 15, 2010 1:33 PM

Nov 2009
The fact that it is expected to watch End of Evangelion in order to judge this ending is absurd. If i was watching it in real time it would be around a year between them, so it is not like it picks off immediately in a next season.

In all cases the last 2 episodes were a plague of randomness, and nobody can argue that this was grounded within the plot. Sure there is character development but the fact that the whole situation is unexplained, and hanging out in limbo retracts for that.

I love philosophical stuff a majority of the times, but i prefer it to be integrated into the plot then just thrown in my face.

Lost a point in entertainment value and execution of the show. down from a 10 --> 8.
May 15, 2010 6:52 PM

Aug 2008
Reality is all a matter of perception, yadda, yadda, yadda. Nothing I never thought about, personally.

Also gives insight into the God mentality of needing others to define yourself, and so forth.

Instrumentality...maybe the Angels were trying to save man from Instrumentality but failed but things worked out anyways?
Jun 6, 2010 3:32 AM

Jul 2008
Im shocked at how few people even understand this ending. Most people in this thread are saying things like

"It made no sense...its unexplained....its stupid"

Have you people not been watching the entire series?

Maybe if you just watched the ending it would make no sense, but surely the 25 episodes preceeding it gave you at least some perspective on what the ending means?

It worries me that someone can watch this without realising that you have to think about it from the characters psychological perspective to understand it, just watching what is on your screen won't work. Even if you aren't particularly intelligent you can get most of the experience by looking at everything and thinking "How would Shinji feel at this point" or if you are better at Psychological empathy then you could feel the wholeexperience by looking at events from perspectives such as "Considering his relationship with his father and his general feelings of exclusion and rejection from Rei and Asuka colliding with his growing sexual attraction to them, how would Shinji feel about this situation"

Working on that mindset, its perfectly possible to understand and interpret the ending. There is no one solution, which, again seems to confuse some people. I still think its one of the best endings in anime since it makes you think about it.

Overall, Evangelion isn't "great" in my mind, its good...like 9/10 good, but the ending alone is one of the high points and it worries me to see so few people in this thead actually grasping the real meaning of the ending before bashing it as a failure. Only one person's response here actually shows a fair and accurate negative criticism of the ending from a properly understood viewpoint, the rest of it is just unfounded opinions...a few of which make me question if the writer has watched the show at all.

[/rant]
Jun 6, 2010 1:43 PM
May 2010
I thought it summed up Shinji's mental development well, however I don't feel it did anything about Asuka/Rei's predicaments, it seemed to ignore them in the end.

That's the good news... I thought this ending was awful as it explained barely anything other than the mental state of Shinji. I admit I hadn't paid complete attention towards the end but I found things progressively hard to follow and maybe I need to watch it again but the ending has really put me off watching. I'll watch End of Evangelion and maybe read the wiki page and see if I piece together parts I may have missed.

Overall though, I hate this ending.
Jun 15, 2010 2:01 AM

Sep 2008
That was utterly terrible, how does the entire series go with "angels are bad we must kill them, and we have this secret society called Seele" and not explain what those are at all.
Just a simple explanation would've done it but it's fucking Gainax.

Don't know why this series was so hyped, it started out decent and just spiraled downhill from there.
Jun 17, 2010 2:31 PM
Apr 2010
hmph.... :/

I came into this series optimistically, since everyone was calling it overrated all the time, but...

Seeing these last 2 episodes, I can see why. I understood everything that happened these last 2 episodes, but not only were they boring, they answered nothing, tried to touch on most of the characters mentalities and ended nothing but Shinji's self-hating mental standing.

But the entire thing was easy to analyze and could've been much shorter.

Maybe it's because I've already seen phsycological anime such as Monster, Boogiepop Phantom, and Paranoia Agent, but these episodes bored me.

They obviously had no budget on these last few episodes and now I'm left disappointed by all of the time I spent watching the series.

Maybe End of Evangelion will fix this series for me, but as a series without it, this is a failure. I'd remake it too if this were all I'd left behind. >_>

P.S: I hope EVA 2.0 is better.
Jun 17, 2010 11:21 PM

May 2009
I probably watched it when too sleepy to bother to put together the setting details, so I just go the gist of it (character development and psychology) and ran with it.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 18, 2010 7:14 AM

Sep 2007
I just can't get the whole ending.
I do only understand the mentality illness of Shinji on why he wanted to ran away nor hated his father. He may accept now the fact that reality really hurts but it make much hurt if you conceal yourself in your gloomy world.
Jun 18, 2010 10:15 AM

May 2008
This was really something....
Jun 21, 2010 2:34 PM

Mar 2010
ok..... that little school life thing was funny, but WTF happened?? I don't get it at all.. anyone care to explain?

this just ruined the series for me... no wonder my relative said it was so controversial.
Jun 23, 2010 8:04 PM

May 2008
TruRhythm said:
ok..... that little school life thing was funny, but WTF happened?? I don't get it at all.. anyone care to explain?

this just ruined the series for me... no wonder my relative said it was so controversial.

dahhh xD

It was like another reality, a parallel world.... The reality that was showed to us in this series it is just one of the millions that exist.... In a world were yui was still alive and shinji was living in a nice and warm family, he would be a different person, and so would rei and asuka and every one.... This is the kind of show that makes you think till your head hurts xD

But it was said to me that, in the movies these two last episodes are more developed...so I will watch them and you should to....
Jun 26, 2010 8:20 AM

Oct 2009
congratulations!!!!!!
Jun 26, 2010 4:28 PM

May 2008
That was the most breath-taking ending of all time. It's comparable to Mind Games. It makes me want to live. For any anime to accomplish this is incredible.

(Those who thought it was shit were watching the wrong anime.)
Pages (17) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Yesterday, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
Apr 24, 9:46 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.