Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Dec 29, 2020 10:29 PM

Aug 2019
Some Rei focus this episode, man Shinji with the first impressions gotta give him that. Rei's apartment is, something i must say. Apart from being a Kundere i guess, i'm interested to know more about Rei.

Dad Ikari do be picking favourites. Shows more love and emotion to Rei then to his own son Shinji, like would it really hurt for him to at least act like a father to Shinji once? Or is that to humane for him? Honestly it's sickening for me that he uses Shinji, and Shinji is trying so desperately to have his father's attention and praise.

Damn that cliff-hanger, i actually gasped when the angel just blew a fucking hole into Shinji right away, fucking poor guy honestly.
Feb 14, 2021 8:36 PM
Apr 2020
werrston said:
LostHanyou said:
Shinji should have slapped that bitch back :/

Yeah.

And it's kind of sad how his father cares more for her than for his own son...

yeah it's fucking weird as hell, he doesn't give a shit about his own son
Mar 4, 2021 2:03 PM

Mar 2010
I am surprised that the dad showed so much concern for Rei in the beginning over his own son. Did Shinji's mom cheat on him. lol at the classic tripping on top of the girl.
StardewMar 4, 2021 2:07 PM
Mar 6, 2021 3:46 PM

Nov 2019
The fact that this episode tries to sexualize a minor made me feel uncomfortable.
Mar 7, 2021 4:56 AM

Dec 2015
@PumaZ3TA May I ask what in the episode sexualizes wich character? (No idea which sequence in "Rei I" you could mean

edit: is this about Rei being shown nude during Shinji's visit? What makes you think that the scene sexualizes her ?

April 20, 2021
@LiTZiro This is no (sexual) fan-service, boy.
Rei_IIIApr 20, 2021 2:16 PM
Mar 7, 2021 5:13 AM

Nov 2019
Rei_III said:
@PumaZ3TA May I ask what in the episode sexualizes wich character? (No idea which sequence in "Rei I" you could mean.)

Hello! It’s just the feeling I got seeing Rei exit the shower or when Shinji fell over her grabbing one boob. It might be overthinking it, but knowing her age and watching her under those circumstances made me feel a little weird. In my opinion those scenes where not entirely necessary, but this is just what I think (:
Mar 8, 2021 5:14 PM

Jul 2020
Well that was like crazy awkard lol. I hope Rei isn't as underwhelming as Mikasa from AOT because they both seem very similar so far.
Mar 18, 2021 2:19 AM

Jun 2020
Nice to see Rei get her introduction

But man the hand-on-tit trope annoys me
Mar 21, 2021 8:06 AM

Jun 2016
GoZha said:

Same, though I see why they did it (contrast how she hardly cared about that to slapping Shinji over not trusting Gendo).
Apr 20, 2021 3:14 AM
Jan 2020
this is so gay and hate fan service
Apr 21, 2021 1:09 AM
Jan 2020
PumaZ3TA said:
Rei_III said:
@PumaZ3TA May I ask what in the episode sexualizes wich character? (No idea which sequence in "Rei I" you could mean.)

Hello! It’s just the feeling I got seeing Rei exit the shower or when Shinji fell over her grabbing one boob. It might be overthinking it, but knowing her age and watching her under those circumstances made me feel a little weird. In my opinion those scenes where not entirely necessary, but this is just what I think (:

finally someone point it out
Apr 27, 2021 6:22 PM

Apr 2021
What the fuck just happened?

4/5
May 7, 2021 8:23 PM
Jul 2018
Wow, and right off the bat we see a complete lack of appeal to Rei's character.

Not a bad episode by any means. Slower and less eventful than the others. But we need some breathing room I think.

I need to start making a list of scream episodes. 2 and 3 had some great screams from Shinji hehe. Once again, at the end of Episode 5 we see/hear a great shriek from Shinji as he presumably gets electoructed. I don't know why, but I think the VA is just really good at screaming. 😂 It adds another layer of realism and immersion to the show. Great voice acting.
May 7, 2021 8:30 PM
Jul 2018
TK8878 said:
GoZha said:

Same, though I see why they did it (contrast how she hardly cared about that to slapping Shinji over not trusting Gendo).

It seems the hand-on-tit trope is now decades old, appearing in multiple anime every year for who knows how long... although back then it was probably a bit newer of a concept -- at least 20+ years newer than it is now -- so I'm sure there weren't as many opinions floating around as now.

BUT... I hope that modern-day anime producers/directors/animators take note how negatively people react to that crap, because it gets old, and it's insulting that they think men are so simple-minded that they'll scramble to consume the anime for moments like that.

STILL, THIS scene in particular didn't really make me cringe like modern instances do. It seemed kind of subtle, for some reason. Maybe because it's not a gag anime. There wasn't some BOING sound effect, or corny musical score. Something about the execution of the scene made the trope mundane -- or not extremely edgy. So it didn't actually rub me the wrong way.

On top of that, and in retrospect with his analysis in mind, I now have to ponder if that scene was very deliberate to convey how much Rei cares about Gendo. She displays no emotions when seen nude, when a stranger falls on her -- nude -- and cups her, or when there's perceivably an intruder in her apartment -- but is provoked when Shinji touched Gendo's glasses and insulted him. I can definitely see this being a storytelling element to show the, keyword, cOnTrAsT. So very clever analysis on this guy's part. That didn't even cross my mind -- and if it didn't, I wouldn't have attributed it to being intentional.
May 22, 2021 1:33 AM

Jul 2019
Pretty cool episode. More Rei insight which is a win in my eyes. Cold beauty. Obviously classic boob touching scene is needed.

I really want to know why Commander Ikari cares for Rei over Shinji tho.
Jun 8, 2021 4:04 AM

Apr 2020
Even though Eva instantly took a powerful blast from the Angel at the end, Rei's slap still hit harder
DefeatingMeJun 8, 2021 4:07 AM
Aug 9, 2021 12:03 AM

Jan 2021
Rei was good to go and fight that angel but he sends shinji instead and I didn’t think the dad cared about anyone but himself or the mission so from Shinji’s perspective to see his dad care more about Rei then he ever has to him it isn’t right
Nov 2, 2021 7:39 AM

Aug 2020
So this episode, we get the first impression of Rei. Seems like your standard quiet girl character (for now).

Damn, this is the type of show that has the accidental falling, let alone the groping. I always thought this series was clear from that. Guessed wrong.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Nov 22, 2021 9:33 AM
Nov 2020
Enjoyable episode I like how character were just hanging out, it was nice to learn more about Rei and the Dad to.
Dec 14, 2021 8:52 AM
Apr 2021
pen pen is so cute mannn
Potato's Rock<3
Dec 14, 2021 9:13 PM

May 2019
Pretty cool we get to learn a bit about the angels and the fact that not much is known just makes them creepier.

Shinji's dad will save Rei, hurt for Rei, talk with Rei but won't even acknowledge Shinji's presence. Then she has his glasses and is a diehard believer in him enough to slap Shinji? Okay then.
Wow her place is morbid.

That ending shows just how much, even through the emotional armor he's built in life, his dad's attention and care for Rei hurts him. Geez poor dude.
Jan 2, 2022 7:45 AM

Jul 2021
Apparently, the first time Shinji went to talk to Rei didn't work out very well.
From what I've gathered, Rei trusts Shinji's father a lot because of the day he saved her, but will that change over time?
asdasdsadad
Jan 24, 2022 7:23 AM

Feb 2021
Damn, that was a very awkward situation lol. Rei was way too chill about all of it.

By now it's pretty clear that Rei finds comfort under Gendo Ikari and has respect (and feelings?) for him. Also, she can sync with her Eva now.

The other guys sure became good buddies with Shinji lol.

It really sucks that you feel everything your Eva is going through. Shinji literally felt that the huge-ass laser beam melted through his chest cavity.

Rei is the best girl for me now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: Almost forgot that the pet penguin exists lol
DeonXJan 24, 2022 7:31 AM

Jan 28, 2022 6:44 AM

Aug 2020
I felt so embarrassed on Shinji's behalf omg like there was just one awkward thing after another in that introduction;;

Rei seems like a stereotypical quiet girl at the moment but I'm excited to get to know her better as the story progresses.
Feb 26, 2022 11:06 PM

Oct 2019
so, lemme get this straight—they depict a 14 year old boy placing their hand on the breast of a 14 year old girl.

understanding that this was made some time in 1995, it's hard to imagine this shit happening on modern day anime, although i wouldn't be surprised if i'm wrong.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 29, 2022 10:37 PM

Dec 2021
entire scene with shinji in rei's room kinda made me uncomfortable
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Mar 30, 2022 3:18 PM

Feb 2012
2022 Rewatch
Fortress_MaximusMar 30, 2022 3:31 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 20, 2022 5:10 PM

Jun 2016
is this what you call fanservice?? T T not the flying underwear and the pinning down. talk abt awkward

rip shinji. his dad definite sent him out bc he didnt want rei to get hurt 🤡
May 15, 2022 11:37 PM

Oct 2020
I feel like we learned more about Shinji's dad this episode as opposed to Rei.
Crazy to think that he was so cautious with Rei, talking with her before and after testing and making sure she was safe after the reactivation test failed, meanwhile he was willing to toss his son out into the battlefield like a pawn.
I'm even willing to bet he was at the hospital a few episodes ago just to visit Rei.
Jun 27, 2022 6:51 AM

Dec 2007
the amount of fanservice in this episode was very odd lol.
like, most of the episode was pretty serious, and then that.

another tense cliffhanger.

the angle's shape becoming more and more strange.
wonder what's their story anyway lol.
User-NameJun 27, 2022 6:55 AM
Aug 31, 2022 1:26 PM
Aug 2022
evgleon goog anime ever
Sep 3, 2022 1:34 PM
Apr 2022
Ngl the intro slaps though
Sep 14, 2022 10:31 PM
Aug 2022
i would've given this episode 5 starts if it wasn't for that unnecessary fanservice scene with shinji and rei. like.. they are both 14 year olds. i definitely felt really uncomfortable throughout part. i really hope there won't be too much fanservice scenes consisting of 14 year olds later on, or else that might affect my overall score of this show.
anyways, let's actually move on to the good stuff. we learned a bit about rei! she's one of those mysterious characters but i'm looking forward to see what happens. she might even become my favorite character, but not too sure yet.
also that angel design... damn. these angels just keep looking better and better. this time it's like this weird object but it still looks awesome. poor shinji had to feel the pain of EVA getting its abdomen impaled. i'm excited to watch the next episode.
Oct 15, 2022 7:25 PM
Oct 2022
I'm enjoying it so far and am having a lot of fun with the story!
Oct 21, 2022 2:45 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Well Rei's apartment sure is quite inviting now isn't it

They've no doubted piqued the viewer's curiosity since shown going berserk in episode 2, but I think it's here where we really start wondering: wtf is inside these eva's?

But what or who is arguably more mysterious is Shinji's father himself, rather than the evas. At this point in time, how we perceive his views of Shinji is nothing more than an asset, whilst looking at Rei like his own daughter. In that case, maybe give her some nicer living quarters? Speaking of which, I like how these two pilots are basically government property but they could easily just roam around and run away just like Shinji did in the last episode lol

As for our next angel adversary, a giant flying CUBE!!! or diamond or whatever

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 12, 2022 11:56 AM
Jul 2022
You don’t have to think so much. It’s just like, stillness and deep subconscious ness, that you won’t have to expect much. It’s just more of a peak of meditation.
Dec 23, 2022 4:10 PM

Jan 2022
When Ritsuko said Rei and Gendo are awkward at life, I felt that. Shinji finally tries to get close to someone on his own initiative and gets the shit smacked out of him...again...like it's been less than a week since he got decked by Toji right? Guess forming human connections is hard and kind of awkward after all.

Tune in next time to see if it was all worth it.
-insert NGE meme here-
Dec 29, 2022 9:32 AM

Jul 2021
rei seems more depressed than shinji to me.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jan 13, 2023 11:20 AM

Nov 2020
W Shinji. W Evas. W everything. W Rei.
Jan 20, 2023 10:06 AM

Mar 2016
Not had much to complain about regarding the direction of scenes in this show so far, but holy hell was the Rei apartment scene bad. Don't know if it's the age, but I have yet to see a cliche scene like that done in such a terribly forced manner.

Rei is clearly one of the mysterious no emition chharacters with only very specific triggers. Normally I enjoy those characters (i.e. Haruhi's Nagato), but so far Rei comes off as a coddled bitch to the point I don't care for her mystery background. And the coddle feeling she gives off is weird, considering what we saw until now. She was injured for a long time, was about to be forced into EVA-01 until Shinji agreed to pilot it, and lives in quite the shithole alone. Yet at the same time Shinji's father shows the complete opposite care for Rei that he does for Shinji, hence the slap. Going to be interesting to see how it plays out since Rei has only experienced Shinji's father in a bubble and clearly refuses to accept that he'd ever be an utter dick to his own son.

I expect some headbutting for a while. Also don't get the preview wording, Shinji starting to act spoiled? Kid's been forced into real combat, had the sensation of his arm being broken and skull pierced in his first battle, and has now been sucker-punch shot through the chest due to the highly exposed launch system! Do they really expect someone not to crack another level after that?!
Feb 1, 2023 5:45 PM

Feb 2020
Man I was really liking Rei until she slapped Shinji-
It's really sad to see Shinji watch Rei and his father interact so casually while he gets treated like nothing;;

Mar 3, 2023 11:38 AM
Mar 2023
yep i agreee too good
Mar 21, 2023 5:09 AM

Mar 2022
Finally an episode where we focus on Rei who up to this point hasn’t really done much for me at the moment but to be fair it was the first couple of episodes so naturally there wouldn’t be much focus on her yet. So what to say about her? Well she’s very quiet much like Shinji but to a different degree, quite an emotionless girl but I reckon there’s going to be a connection between her and Shinji as the show goes on. It’s sick that Shinji’s own father considers her more of a person to care about then his own son, the least he could do is just say “Well Done” or something but is his deal with Rei though? Time will tell and all that. Rei’s apartment was…something and…Shinji walks in on Rei…while she’s naked and then accidentally falls on top of her and then feels her boob. Well needless to say, it kind of got uncomfortable for poor Shinji very quickly. I love how Rei doesn’t display emotions when that happens but does when he slaps Shinji in retaliation for him saying ill things about his own father.

Though to be fair, in his defence, Shinji has been treated badly by his father so yeah I don’t blame him for saying stuff like that. Another Angel attack and it looks like Shinji’s gonna be in a lot of pain next episode.
May 21, 2023 5:39 PM
Feb 2021
Rei's always felt like an incredibly diligent person, so Idk why she lets her house get so messy, I guess she just doesn't really care. Shinji becoming interested in Rei is super understandable as well, he very clearly wants some way to connect with his deadbeat ass father, and knowing Rei has that is such a good development. This show slaps so hard, that's really all there is to it.
May 25, 2023 2:51 PM
Apr 2020
Oh my god what an ending, I really wish they wouldn't tell us so much info in the preview though
Nov 4, 2023 12:50 PM

Jun 2020
So this episode we meet Rei i cant say we learned so much about her for now just that she have good relationship with Shinjis father and lives in a shit hole.I dont have a opinion about her for now its to early but i get annoyed when she slapped Shinji because he didint trust hes dad.Other than that do I think we needed the boob and falling on her scene .No we didint.
Dec 9, 2023 10:58 AM
Dec 2023
sexualization. forced romance, and unnecessary nude scenes
Jan 9, 10:33 PM

Dec 2022
Rei needed to feel doubt
Mar 4, 5:12 AM

Jul 2017
The relationship between Rei and Gendo has always been one of my favorite part of this show.
this episode is the perfect example of how unique is their relationship.
Rei is a super interesting character, i love her.
Shinji seeing gendo treating well rei and not him is relly sad to watch.

''Touch the darkness inside me''

Mar 10, 3:39 AM
Aug 2016
EPISODES 3-4: I really liked the direction of the episode.
I think it's a very good decision to make his two friends see what he really is.
I think it will also significantly help pilot 3, the protagonist, differentiate itself from pilot 1 (the girl "without feelings").

This episode again insists on the idea of ​​how terrible it is to put a child directly into a war. Is berserker mode related in some way to his personality?

The way his escape is shown is magnificent. The feeling of rottenness, of loneliness, of even depression, accompanied at the same time with a trip to the darkest part of the world in which he lives. It makes us see the difference and how humanity really is in survival mode.

Until he sees his friend.

And then they want to take it away. I return to the previous point. It seems that they had identified for a long time that he was the pilot qualified to fly the Angel. And they're just going to let him go?
The relationship he is having with the Captain is very interesting. On the one hand, she wishes him the best and understands that he does not leave, on the other hand, she wants him to not complain if he fights. The final reunion scene is brutal.

Episode 5: We already know something about the supposed enemies. Very interesting how the protagonist is still "interested in his father" even though he doesn't like that he doesn't care about him and that he has abandoned him. Also something natural for a fourteen-year-old boy. The difference that his father shows with pilot 1.
The scene with pilot 1 is pretty good.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

188 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
May 8, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

152 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 8, 12:16 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

214 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 8, 2:59 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

175 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 7, 3:24 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

CitizenGeek - Mar 27, 2008

167 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 6, 5:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.