Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 5, 2009 10:23 AM

Sep 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Lol. Time paradox. This could be interesting.

EDIT: After reading the comments, I have a few things to say. Firstly, I like the old-school animation style. It reminds me of Dragon Ball Z, Hajime no Ippo, or even Detective Conan, as one person said. It's not unique because of its SHAFT-ness, but because it looks like something from another decade.

I expected the story to be wacky. I knew that since they showed the alien pointing his gun at people. XD It's SHAFT, so anyone who's seen Pani Poni Dash or Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei would know that this craziness is not uncommon. Besides, there’s still 12 episodes left to develop a story.

I don't know why, but the OP theme has been stuck in my head since yesterday. Again, it's probably that old school vibe. I thought Maria†Holic's OP was too contemporary. ^^;
Nek0Apr 6, 2009 1:49 PM

Apr 5, 2009 10:27 AM

Sep 2007
Strange but unique!

I like it so much!

Waiting the next chapter =)
Apr 5, 2009 10:28 AM

Dec 2007
I liked the way the time leaping was introduced (as if it was something totally normal).
The visuals were nice too. This is the first time I enjoyed a SHAFTxShinbo anime.
Apr 5, 2009 11:24 AM

Feb 2008
This was a good starting episode. The time jumping part was quite entertaining.
My only complain is that the usual SHAFT animation style, doesn't seem to suit this series (especially the zetsubou part), imo. Though, I'll probably get used to it, either I want it or not =P
Apr 5, 2009 11:31 AM

Aug 2008
Art sure looks... at least weird. Also it looks like filler series with no connection to the original plot. I didn't expect anything form this series considering that manga isn't so good either but it was still slightly disappointing.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Apr 5, 2009 11:55 AM

Feb 2009
funny how when she uses her powers her clothes change to her school uniform
Apr 5, 2009 11:55 AM

Jan 2008
I love the manga very much, so I hated this f**king shit that is called "anime".
cheap animation/chara-design, no storyline, too different from the manga.
Look like more like a "Dragon Ball Evolution"-like >_<
Apr 5, 2009 12:25 PM

Feb 2009
seriously. what the hell was that?? too shocked. her eyes is just too... eew.
Apr 5, 2009 12:32 PM

Dec 2008
Shaft completely failed, even worst series from them (maria holic) was at least funny, but this is not funny and really boring. And design is horrible.
Apr 5, 2009 1:06 PM

Jun 2008
I expected that it would be better, but meh.
Apr 5, 2009 1:11 PM

Feb 2008
It looked interesting, but I am full of hate for the main character. How can you even come up with the idea for such an annoying protagonist? I did like the whole CSI Time Skip angle though, that was smart and different. The whole episode felt like a weird way to start off the series, no explanation of who the characters are, why they have these powers etc. Or why they use them in such mundane ways when they could literally be out there changing the world.

It's pretty sad that this is the second best new show I've seen so far this season. It's not looking very good.
Apr 5, 2009 1:15 PM

Oct 2007
I would say it is rather boring, nothing really much different from how they done with Maria+Holic.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Apr 5, 2009 1:18 PM

Sep 2008
I really could care less about the animation and what not, to me it was alright though. I like the voice cast though, never even took a peek at who the seiyuus would be and yet I was able to recognize majority of them. Definitely adding to my list of to-watch animes on Sunday.
"It's because you exist.. That I'm here right now.."
Apr 5, 2009 1:56 PM

Jan 2009
Dropping this already. Absolutely hated everything about first episode. Animation/artwork, plot, character designs, soundtracks and humour all is pretty poorly.

Status: Dropped = And probably won't bother ever to finish it.
Apr 5, 2009 2:07 PM

Jun 2008
The character design is certainly awkward, but some scenes like Arashi's transfomation on the 1st leap were pretty nice. The concept and story might turn out interesting since it's a comedy by that self-inserting sunglasses-wearing comedy author.
The style of the opening resembles the older PPD(also omake illustration by PPD's author) instead of the newer SHAFT series, and it's nice to hear Shiraishi Ryouko on a leading role for a change.

Watashi ni kakete!
Apr 5, 2009 2:21 PM

Nov 2007
To tell the truth, I don't know how I felt about this episode. I'll definitely be watching future ones to see if this is a series I will enjoy.
Apr 5, 2009 2:52 PM

Nov 2008
HAHAHHAHAHAAHAHHA ZETSUBOUSHITA! WHO STOLE MY STRAWBERRY CAKE!? Didnt realise this was Shaft anime before that.

Well but episode was intersting. Whats wrong with the art? Art looks very lazy not Shaft style or like School Rumble's art, even tought they have same manga creator.

I will watch next episode, but art depatment should do much better than this!
Apr 5, 2009 2:56 PM

Feb 2008
I'm not sure about this. Episode was pretty boring and didn't elicite many laughs from me. Any actually.
Apr 5, 2009 2:56 PM

Sep 2008
I've hated the character designs ever since the first few pictures were revealed, and I absolutely hate characters like Hajime, but it's Shaft, so I'll keep up with this show.

Eyelashes are creepy, but I like all the characters in the cafe, well almost, give off the message of being lady-like. I think Jun could be my long lost brother.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 2009 3:45 PM

Aug 2008
That was the most proper and understandable wtf I ever had. Pretty good stuff.
Apr 5, 2009 4:26 PM

Aug 2007
I actually enjoyed the first episode. I can see why everyone is complaining about the character design, but at the same time SHAFT is just trying to stay true to the art design in the original manga creation, so I'm not going to blame it on them. I always enjoy the presentation they give each anime they do, so I'm gonna have faith in them to make this a good one.

As far as the story and characters go, the time travel element was very interesting and I like Hajime's character a lot (kinda similar to Naruto's mischievous side, although he looks a hell of a lot like Detective Conan, lol). Arashi seems boring aside from her power, but I think the free-loader muscle guy and the cheapskate restaurant master will make for plenty of good comedy along with Hajime.

Good start so far imo.

Apr 5, 2009 5:35 PM

Jul 2007
OHMYGODMYEYES. That was the first feeling I encountered when I watched episode one of this anime. The only interesting thing about this show was the time-/space-leap thing. And maybe the bar setting. Oh and the "zetsuboushita" reference ripoff. But.. what the hell, people complain about Lucky Star #1 being 2/3 about choco coronets.. when this was 3/4 about a strawberry. About the "art", from the OP, I couldn't tell about most characters whether they're male of female. I hoped that the humor would make up for it, but there wasn't any, really.

I could imagine the manga/oringinal story being kinda funny with this setting, but the only conclusion about this anime for me: dropped, so dropped that I won't even add it to my dropped list.
Apr 5, 2009 5:55 PM

Jan 2009
The character designs in the manga looked much better... Something about the eyes is particularly disturbing; seems they are too close most of the time.

But I found it interesting and even with "LOL PIE" in his resume, I willl watch any stuff by Jin Kobayashi and/or SHAFT.
Apr 5, 2009 6:45 PM

Apr 2008
I dislike the character design and the plot wasn't very interesting, that is the reason for going back in time. What I did like was how things began to get a bit confusing with repeated jumps. I'll give the next ep a try.
Apr 5, 2009 6:47 PM
Nov 2007
Loved this, at first the character design creeped me out but by the end I had completely forgotten it was creepy.
They really didn't explain anything, the whole casual time travel is really neat though, making an extrodinary thing seem so normal.
Apr 5, 2009 6:52 PM

Aug 2008
I saw Reimu.
Apr 5, 2009 6:59 PM

Oct 2008
I didn't like the character design, like most people, but the cinematography, on the other hand, was interesting. Also I may not have laughed, but I had a nice "ahhh" moment after realizing how all the events fit together with all the time skipping.

I only read the manga to a certain point, so seeing where this anime started kinda confused me. I'll probably stick around since it is only 13 eps and seems interesting enough.
Apr 5, 2009 7:05 PM

Sep 2008
Any chance we were watching the 6th epidsode instead of the 1st? I mean, time travel theme and all.

Apr 5, 2009 7:22 PM
Feb 2009
i was starting to think this was a 2nd season. i bet they'll explain the time travel soon. cool show though. artwork is really nice.
Apr 5, 2009 7:35 PM

Dec 2008
i don't see why people think this series is SO bad..i thought it was alright. it may not live up to other SHAFT work standards..but i'll still watch it. the time paradox thing is interesting. i do dislike hajime already though..he's pretty annoying.
Apr 5, 2009 7:51 PM

Apr 2009
I actually have no idea what the hell I just watched. The time jump outta no where and I was like WTF!???!

Meh I'll watch the next episode. lol
Apr 5, 2009 7:52 PM

May 2007
Shaft is easy to predict

Weird but hilarious.
My anime list
Apr 5, 2009 8:24 PM

Jul 2008
That was really kinda average. Characters didn't do much for me, nor did their designs. I wasn't too big on the actual animation either, however it did manage to give me a laugh or two once the time jumping started. From the plot synopsis this was a gigantic departure from what I was expecting.

Bleh I'll stick with this for the time being. I was hoping for a little more plot since I was under the impression there'd be some here =(

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Apr 5, 2009 8:38 PM

Feb 2008
hahaha very nice first episode. i didn't really know what this was about till they went back in time. the synopsis isn't very descriptive.

two things....it has been a while since there was a time based anime...should be good.

second...the designs on the floors and walls can be very disorienting.
Apr 5, 2009 8:41 PM

Jan 2009
To be honest 5 minutes into the episode i felt like this anime was gonna suck. Character designs and the animation are dull and average. The characters themselves aren't appealing. But ill try and watch the entire episode in full later to decide though i doubt my interest will peek or for the series for that matter. Seeing how many people's consensus of this anime is about the same as mine...
Apr 5, 2009 10:26 PM

Sep 2007
Wow, what's up with the low overall rating so far? Well, I guess I can understand it. However, I enjoyed the intentionally hilarious QUALITY and general lolwut factor of the first episode. Some appealing seiyuu featured...and that Hajime kid is quite the character.

Yes, I will follow and enjoy this series in my corner. Anyone can join me.
Apr 5, 2009 10:59 PM

Aug 2007
hate the OP, but the episode is okay and unique.
Apr 6, 2009 12:02 AM

Oct 2007
meh expected something so much better, and imo the disign really kills the show
Apr 6, 2009 12:13 AM
Oct 2007
Play on time was win! Everything kinda ran full circle which was hilarious.

Character designs made me think of old school anime. I laughed quite a bit. Guess my taste is just different. Will see what they do next.
Apr 6, 2009 12:23 AM

Jul 2008
time traveling school girls, and killer strawberries, wow this looks promising!
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Apr 6, 2009 1:01 AM

Aug 2008
I thought it was good. The animation isn't bad i think...they just did differently than other anime. I think it makes it unique to others. The best part is how everything fell into place with time is changed. Can't wait to see what the next episode will bring
Apr 6, 2009 3:32 AM

Sep 2007
I've never been a fan of Kobayashi's character design, it really bothered me in School Rumble as well but it was good nontheless. Not as SHAFTy as I expected but still good.
I like the fact that the reason they travelled back in time was actually because they travelled back in time already. All this show needs is a Daniel Faraday mumbling "Whatever happened, happened" (and if you get that, join the Lost-club!) and I'll love this show. It won't happen, so it'll have to do with an above average rating at best.
Apr 6, 2009 5:20 AM
Feb 2008
Eh well I can't say the first episode was extraordinary but it wasn't bad either

Maybe this is going to be interesting o I will keep watching (plus only 13 episodes ..even if is so bad as described i can bear it )
Apr 6, 2009 6:26 AM

Mar 2008
After reading all those comments and watching the first minute I thought it would be something average.

But it was really good!

Great OP, interesting & uncommon chara design (I really liked it after getting over the first impression), great voice cast, great SHAFT animation, entertaining plot. I also liked the whole time paradox thing.
Very refreshing. Glad I watched it in the end.
ForeverApr 6, 2009 7:38 AM
Apr 6, 2009 7:00 AM

Nov 2007
Wow! I really loved it! I didn't think that I would before I watched it. I didn't like the animation that much at first, but it isn't that bad. And I really liked the story and time traveling stuff. This really surprised me! 8/10
OtherworldApr 6, 2009 7:05 AM
Apr 6, 2009 8:42 AM

Jan 2009
Hmm time paradox was quite interesting, but the setting itself was boring. I'm not quite sure how to rate this... Zetsubou reference was funny, though ^_^
Apr 6, 2009 9:09 AM

Feb 2008
The Zetsubou reference won it over for me. I love animes that parody other animes.

Still, I don't get why everyone is hating this. Sure the art needs some tuning, but this had some lol moments. This could almost compare to Minami-Ke Okaeri, for example, bad artwork, good/funny storyline.
People are strange, when you're a stranger
Apr 6, 2009 10:05 AM

Jan 2009
I do not understand how and why time paradox. ?_?
Apr 6, 2009 10:41 AM

Aug 2007
the art sure is weird. lol. I had no idea that this was a time travel anime. lol. The episode was okay, I'll be checking out future episodes, to see weither I be continuing on with this series or not. Most likely yes, because I never dropped an anime before...
Apr 6, 2009 11:19 AM

Dec 2007
It was okay, I don't think it'll be as good as School Rumble though. It's interesting to see how there are these things that go on early in the episode that you don't understand but are explained as the characters travel back in time. I actually didn't know that this was by Shaft until I saw the credits, very sub-par compared to their other shows.

Spade said:
All this show needs is a Daniel Faraday mumbling "Whatever happened, happened" (and if you get that, join the Lost-club!) and I'll love this show.

HAHAHAHAHA.

#NBHNC
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Moar attention

Alycen - Jul 9, 2009

11 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Apr 26, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Natsu no Arashi! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

rabids0ap - Jun 28, 2009

53 by eblf2013 »»
Apr 21, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Natsu no Arashi! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ShanaFlame - May 25, 2009

53 by eblf2013 »»
Apr 20, 5:58 PM

Poll: » Natsu no Arashi! Episode 4 Discussion

yunadestined - Apr 26, 2009

44 by eblf2013 »»
Apr 18, 7:30 PM

Poll: » Natsu no Arashi! Episode 12 Discussion

dbaranyi - Jun 21, 2009

26 by FMmatron »»
May 30, 2022 1:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.