Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 3, 2009 5:54 AM

Jan 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well i must say, i was expecting Phantom since time ago. And im impressed with such animation, quite versatile and awesome. Is quite stereotypical the "I DONT KNOW WHO I AM" scheme, but im really interested on Zwei and Ein's past.

When Zwei pointed the knife at Ein on that warehouse or w/e it was, the way she looked was fantasticly beautifull, the reflection of the light on her eyes was simply gorgeous, it even gave me the chills, reminds me of that scene of Ergo Proxy when Ergo touched Re-L lips.

The opening was quite good also, not too much to show but artistic somehow, i like those intros.

Definetly waiting for the next episodes, the mysterious plot was really great. And as i could see, theres without a doubt something between Ein and Zwein. (Or at least Ein has some feelings for him)

Expecting more for phantom, i'm definetly liking it. Too fucking great to be a first episode.
MikiyoApr 3, 2009 6:43 AM

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Apr 3, 2009 6:19 AM
Feb 2009
I've recently seen the OVAs (I preferred that character design, but nevermind) and thought the story can be better and yes it is ^^ The animation is good, I like the OP (and dislike the ED...)

Just a quick advice: wait for another sub. I don't know anything about this group whose subs are out, but... I went 'WTF?' several times. In the ending sentence ("We are nothing... Phantoms...") I just laughed ^^
Apr 3, 2009 6:22 AM

Jan 2009
justcallmeLuna said:
I've recently seen the OVAs (I preferred that character design, but nevermind) and thought the story can be better and yes it is ^^ The animation is good, I like the OP (and dislike the ED...)

Just a quick advice: wait for another sub. I don't know anything about this group whose subs are out, but... I went 'WTF?' several times. In the ending sentence ("We are nothing... Phantoms...") I just laughed ^^
Dunno wich subs u saw but Desire subs were just awesome and high quality.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Apr 3, 2009 7:13 AM

Feb 2008
The ED feels like a wink to another show with a similar theme, Noir. Very similar tone.

I thought the first episode was alright, but it really failed to make me *care*. It was pretty bland. Waiting to see how the other shows this season turns out, but I'd be surprised if I followed this one to the end. Not dropping it quite yet though.
Apr 3, 2009 7:25 AM

Jun 2008
Decent start. Gonna stick with it.
Apr 3, 2009 7:33 AM

Aug 2008
Why? Oh God why Ali Project?! My ears bleed like a fountain every time I hear them..

The ep was decent, but I couldn't stop feeling that I've seen similar stuff a million times already. To me it had a bit of Gunslinger Girl feel to it, especially from Ein.

I hope it will turn out to be more than just one big cliché.
KvakondApr 3, 2009 7:40 AM
Apr 3, 2009 7:37 AM

Jul 2008
I really liked the episode. It was a great mix of action, tension, psychology and drama. The symbolisms were also great and I especialy liked when Zwei opened those gates and saw the light of sun... the light of hope... only to see the desert which symbolises harshness and emptyness.

I really hope that future eps don't dissapoint.
Apr 3, 2009 7:48 AM

Mar 2008
It was not bad. Had some good animation quality and I also liked the generic but good character design. OP was good, too.

Not really sure, though if I will stick with it since I have so much else to watch, but I will watch another episode at least.
Apr 3, 2009 7:50 AM
Feb 2009
Tamaki-san said:
[Dunno wich subs u saw but Desire subs were just awesome and high quality.

The only one which is out, so that one. I don't wanna argue, if another sub is out, compare the two. Speedsubs are always the same.. they'll remain speedsubs. Jade-subs did the trailer very well, IMO (and I hope) they'll sub the whole series. Though watching an anime subbed is not too necessary for me because I understand Japanese pretty well without subs (I download subbed versions because I can find DDL for it easier... and I like watching the OP/ED karaokes)
asd987Apr 3, 2009 8:04 AM
Apr 3, 2009 8:04 AM

Apr 2008
Honestly, i was expecting more from the storyline, but it wasn't too bad. Animation was good, OP was reasonably good.

Still, this anime has way too many stereotypes in it, it needs to get rid of a few. It's trying to be too much for it's own good.

Overall, it was decent. Not a waste of time, but not superb either.
Apr 3, 2009 8:25 AM
Jul 2008
First of the Animation was excellent, the char designs and backgrounds were really good. But that was the only thing good about it. The OP was ok the video was pretty good but the ED *shudder*... ALI PROJECT, one of bee trains worst decisons ever. The main plot of this show is sooooooo cliche. He doesnt know who he is, an experiment to make the main char in to a super human.
Apr 3, 2009 9:25 AM

Oct 2008
I saw the Ova a while back and really liked it so watched this expecting a lot. I liked it. It seemed to have some differences from the ova, but not so much that it was a different story (so far at least, hopefully the ending will be different).

I'm not sure what people were expecting when they say it was stereotypical or too much like other plots. It is still at its heart an adaption of a visual novel and/or ova (an ova made in 2004 at that) so one shouldn't expect the general feel the show to be radically different.

I'd expect them to flesh out Zwei more in the coming episodes. This episode used the style where they start out in the future and then show some scenes of the past (how Zwei came to be an assassin) so as to get people right in the action, but in the preview of next episode they show Zwei and Ein training so it looks to be more focused on Zwei's early days. I must say that i did prefer the way the Ova just went in chronologically order and started with some screen time for Zwei pre meeting Ein to make him seem like a more normal character. It is must easier to empathize with a normal guy traveling abroad who gets in a situation that is over his head than someone who is naturally able to beat the top assassin in the world in one on one combat with no training/experience, an area the ova seemed to have done a much better job at so far.

Also interesting how Ein seems to be a more human character in this series.
Apr 3, 2009 9:50 AM

Feb 2008
I enjoyed this ep and liked the ending!
Apr 3, 2009 10:30 AM

Jul 2008
The episode wasn't bad, but it doesn't seem like anything with high potential to me. The animation is pretty good, but the story is too unoriginal in my opinion. Let's see how this turns out. ^^;

This episode gets a 3/5 from me.
Apr 3, 2009 10:37 AM

Apr 2008
Not bad, but not really anything special either, but maybe that is just an artifact of they way they chose to introduce the show. I don't feel any empathy for the characters at the moment but I'm guessing things might improve with the second episode.
Apr 3, 2009 10:39 AM

Mar 2008
I liked the episode. Different start than the OVA, but I hope they still do the mall scene, since a lot of character development happened there. The animation is also really good, I found. I didn't mind the OP, ED was meh.

In regards to the subs, there were quite a few mistakes such as missing words, misspelling, and duplicate words. Will be waiting for a better sub group to archive with.
Apr 3, 2009 10:52 AM

Sep 2008
I really enjoyed this ^^

Apr 3, 2009 10:55 AM

Sep 2008
Quanta said:
Not bad, but not really anything special either, but maybe that is just an artifact of they way they chose to introduce the show. I don't feel any empathy for the characters at the moment but I'm guessing things might improve with the second episode.

^ my thoughts exactly
"It's because you exist.. That I'm here right now.."
Apr 3, 2009 11:31 AM

Feb 2009
The first thing that struck me about this episode was the music... ugh. Absolutely atrocious and unintentionally hilarious for the most part due to how melodramatic it is. The animation quality is pretty good, but the art direction is extremely average, as is the character design (I like Ein's design, though). Tthe plot is full of corny cliches that makes it hard to take seriously (Main protagonist with no memories? Soulless assassin girl? Evil organization with mysterious plans? Where have I seen this before?) That said, I'm interested enough to keep watching for two reasons. One is that I've heard the VN improves exponentially. The other is that regardless of the flaws... this anime STILL looks to have infinitely more potential than anything else that is currently airing. K-ON! and Queen's Blade don't really strike me as winners.
Apr 3, 2009 11:48 AM

May 2008
To be honest I wasn't expecting too much from this show but after the first episode I'm quite pleased with this. The animation was great, the music in the background was pretty well done, and there's some interesting characters. The whole characters not knowing who they are or what their doing isn't anything knew but I'll be sticking with this for sure.
Apr 3, 2009 11:51 AM

Jul 2008
Naaah, somehow this felt pretty boring :/ I had my hopes up for this too but ... Opening was pretty interesting and Ali Project made ending so I'm happy ♥ Ein was interesting character but Swei annoyed me :'D

But maybe this is just this "first episode -- later ones will be better" anime ? Hopefully 'cause I wanna see one more serious anime this spring.

Apr 3, 2009 11:53 AM

Dec 2007
It was ok, although most of the character desgins were really flat and boring...but at least the bgm was nice. Uhm, and lol, if you use german numbers as names, at least use them correctly...."Ein" XD.

Also, some of the Desire subs translations felt pretty off to me.

Edit: Grrrr, typos
yakisobapanApr 3, 2009 2:28 PM
Apr 3, 2009 12:11 PM
Feb 2009
Charliehsv said:
Also, some of Desire subs translations felt pretty off to me.

Not just you. It is pretty off sometimes.
Apr 3, 2009 12:42 PM

Feb 2009
This show reminds me a lot of Noir and it's not just the fact that there's a girl with a gun.

Here we have two cold-hearted assassins with code names too, who don't know much about their past, the villains seem to be a bunch of all powerful mafia lords. Gun fights have the same pace and choreography and the atmosphere in the two shows are very similar. Somehow I get the same feeling watching either one. Even the music in this would fit pretty well Noir. (Maybe I should be writing an anime recommendation right now ^^)

Ein(s) also looks, talks, and acts a lot like Kirika:

Anyway, animation seems excellent in this show but I wonder if they can keep this up. Right now the plot seems pretty stereotyped but only one episode has aired and we don't really know much yet. I'll definitely watch a few more episodes of Phantom before deciding to continue or not. (Besides Ein(s) is a sniper. I can't drop a show with an awesome female sniper. :P)

Btw, is it me or does the music starting at 0:30 sound a lot like a remix of Burly Brawl from the Matrix trilogy?

Charliehsv said:
and lol, if you use german numbers at names, at least use them correctly...."Ein" XD.

Yeah, I hate it when Japanese animes use foreign names in the show just because it sounds cool, without doing a damn effort to spell it right at least.
AlexstratzApr 3, 2009 12:56 PM
Apr 3, 2009 1:11 PM

Dec 2007
Charliehsv said:

They were definitely off sometimes.
Apr 3, 2009 1:46 PM

Dec 2007
I don't normally watch shows like this, so I have to background to compare it to. Personally, I loved it. Looks to be pretty good, love the BG music and the animation quality.

This actually reminded me of the english movie "No Country for Old Men", very slow, yet incredibly intense and exciting.
Apr 3, 2009 2:40 PM

Mar 2008
Compared to the disaster of Blade of the Immortal last year this looks like a winner in my book.

The animation is probably the best I've ever seen out of Bee Train including the special effects and CG Work (other than the helicopter explosion which no one seems to care lol). I'd have to disagree with most of you about the character designs and art direction. The designs are very nice in my book.

The music is exceptional and probably even better than Hikaru's work on Chrono Crusade. I loved the opening theme, which had a real melancholy tune, it was quite lovely, the ending however was pretty average for Ali Project and a downright mediocre tune, completely discontent wildly arranged and outrageously sharp.

It is rather fast paced compared to the other GwG (Granted this isn't technically an installment in the trilogy) I'm going to assume Masayuki Kurosawa is the editor on this, (He's done all of BT's editing since LIMINALITY) and he did a very good job IMO (or whomever edited).

Though despite the fast I didn't get lost like I did when I was watching Blade, so a much better story structure and scripting from Kuroda and company. Admits some of the cliches and obscure GwG references. Mashimo's direction has much of his trademarked styles but still good. Not nearly as slow as say Noir or Madlax

Though I do wonder if the music we heard at the shoot-em-up scene will be the signature piece will will hear (ala Nowhere, A Song of Storm and Fire etc.) I was expecting it would be the music from the trailer but guess not.
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Apr 3, 2009 2:45 PM
Jul 2018
justcallmeLuna said:

You are fucking stupid and blind. Their last lines are "We puppets don't belong anywhere." "Don't think that way, Phantom" Tell me wtf is wrong with that? because you are just freaking stupid and blind.

justcallmeLuna said:
Tamaki-san said:
[Dunno wich subs u saw but Desire subs were just awesome and high quality.

The only one which is out, so that one. I don't wanna argue, if another sub is out, compare the two. Speedsubs are always the same.. they'll remain speedsubs. Jade-subs did the trailer very well, IMO (and I hope) they'll sub the whole series. Though watching an anime subbed is not too necessary for me because I understand Japanese pretty well without subs (I download subbed versions because I can find DDL for it easier... and I like watching the OP/ED karaokes)

Ok since you understand Japanese well enough to watch an anime why aren't you subbing or at least providing us less gifted members of society with some help? You talk big, but you show nothing. You claim their subs are off-track but you don't show any proof.
Besides even if you show proof, the general message of the anime was well enough conveyed so it shouldn't fucking matter, you big talking piece of shit. Theres also something called editing involved where Japanese translations are converted into more easily understood English.

justcallmeLuna said:
Charliehsv said:

Not just you. It is pretty off sometimes.

Show some evidence. I'm the defendant right now, you're the plaintiff. You accuse me of being wrong now show the proper evidence to prove it. But don't even bother because it will be a waste of your time and mine.
Apr 3, 2009 2:48 PM
Jul 2018
I just realized that I got trolled but whatever
[Desire] translator ragequitting now.
Apr 3, 2009 3:23 PM

Sep 2007
ChinesePanda said:
Show some evidence.

Just some senteces collected which I think are off in the English translation based off the heard Japanese text. Mind you that the alterntive English translation is just my opinion, I'm not saying that it's the one and only correct answer!

Desire: We found the location of our next target, Frank Cloud.
(It's spoken by two different characters)
Japanese: "Tsugi no tarugeto wa?"
"Frank Cloud, youyaku tsukitomeru ga dekita."
My opinion: "The next target?"
"Frank Coud, we finally found his location."

Desire: Gentlemen, allow me to show you.
Japanese: "Shokun, kore kara da."
My opinion: "Gentleman, it's just the beginning."

Desire: Our new world order. Thanks to Inferno. Thank you.
Japanese: "Wareware no te de... jidai wo tsukuru... Inferno no jidai yo... tsukuru"
My opinion: "With our hands we make... a new era... the era of Inferno... we'll make it."

Desire: Ein and Zwei... put some effort forth for them
Japanese: "Ein ni Zwei... oshiego no namae gurai mousukoshi kangaitara dou da?"
My opinion: "Ein and Zwei... how about thinking a it more about your pupils names?"

Desire: We puppets don belong anywhere.
Japanese: "Doko ni mo sonzai dekinai borei."
My opinion: "Empty shells that belong nowhere" (although here I agree that the puppet metaphor sounds better)

Desire: Don't think that way, Phantom.
Japanese: "Dare de mo nai, Phantom."
My opinion: "Nobodies, just Phantom."

There are other senteces that feel a bit off too, but didn't had time to rewatch the whole ep.
So yeah, Deisre fansub in my opinion has mistakes in the translation, BUT Phantom got subbed shortly after the raw release, and for a speedsub it was decent.
Apr 3, 2009 3:36 PM

Aug 2008
can anyone tell me if there's going to be any romance in this? If there's not, I don't want to bother since it seems iffy as it is, but I'd be more interested if there was a romantic underlying theme between the two mains.
Romance comedy anime - Japan's gift to America
Apr 3, 2009 4:26 PM

May 2008
This was very nice!

I'm already a fan of Koichi Mashimo / Bee Train's girls-with-guns trilogy -- Madlax, Noir, and El Cazador de la Bruja -- so it's not surprising that I'm liking this. Gunslinger Girl, which someone else mentioned, is also a favorite of mine. Outside of anime, Luc Besson's Nikita and Leon, the television show Alias, the Bourne Trilogy, etc. are all great too.

I'm kind of lol'ing at the comments taking issue with starting in medias res, using amnesiac protagonists, and the presence of a controlling organization enhancing or doing experiments with them. These are staples of the genre (and the first is a staple of narrative at large), so you're kind of missing the boat if you're watching this and disliking these elements. The interesting part, as usual, will be how the subsequent story develops. Atmosphere also plays a huge role in shows like this. I was pleased to have a male and female assassin pairing here, considering I haven't seen enough shows where that is done -- the corresponding potential for some heterosexual romance (for once) is also nice.

BTW, thank you, ChinesePanda and Desire, for translating and subbing.
chicanerousApr 3, 2009 4:49 PM
Apr 3, 2009 5:13 PM

Feb 2009
mcjazzman32 said:
can anyone tell me if there's going to be any romance in this? If there's not, I don't want to bother since it seems iffy as it is, but I'd be more interested if there was a romantic underlying theme between the two mains.

The VN had two paths, one focusing mainly on romance and the other focusing mainly on the overarching plot, I'm guessing Bee Train will try to combine the two but mostly focus on the latter.
Apr 3, 2009 5:24 PM

Nov 2007
First ep, wasn't too shabby, was pretty good so far. Hope it improves ~
Giving off abit of a Madlax feel for me, than again...it's from beetrain so... ~
With the top assassin thing going on .
Apr 3, 2009 6:11 PM

Mar 2009
Pretty good episode, I'm going to stick to it.
Apr 3, 2009 7:05 PM

Nov 2007
This was good... for a BeeTrain adaptation. I'm pretty satisfied with the first episode and hope that it'll get better as it goes. The music felt slightly overdramatic at some points, but still okay. I like the OP very much, and I'll probably get used to Ali Project's ED, as I always eventually do. Maybe this time BeeTrain+Koichi Mashimo will actually make me think better of them, but I won't keep my hopes up too high for now.
KantarouApr 3, 2009 7:20 PM
Apr 3, 2009 7:37 PM
Oct 2007
For not expecting much, I was pretty impressed. I'll keep with it for a few more episodes to decide and since Zwei reminds me of good old Sagara Sousuke other than the personality factor, it wouldn't hurt to see more of him.

I actually really liked the ED also. Gave a psychologically strange and SHAFT-y feeling.
Apr 3, 2009 9:36 PM

Aug 2007
It was okay, but i'm continue watching it cause of the art. :s
Apr 3, 2009 10:20 PM
Jul 2018
Pretty good... somewhat cliche though. It kinda reminds me of Darker than BLACK. Loved the OP. The ED, on the other hand, well......
Apr 3, 2009 10:51 PM

Jul 2008
hmm The first episode hasn't really hooked me to the show just yet. I hope it doesn't turn out to be like one of those animes that have a stereotypical storyline. I can kind of guess how it's going to continue but I'm hoping I'm wrong. Won't judge the show just yet - looking forward to the next ep.
Ein kind of annoys me already - always zoning out and staring at Zwei and talking to herself - but maybe I'm judging too fast. There's a lot of repeating of the key phrase "if i don't want to be killed i have to kill." o.o we're gona see a lot of killing~ o.o/ lol
Zwei seems interesting and I'm ONLY gona give the show a second chance cuz he was shirtless in the first ep! lol jk jk jk
I watched the Desire subbed version and i had a feeling as though some of it wasn't translated, like phrases were missing or something, 'cause there were words and phrases in japanese that i knew but which didn't come up in the subtitle. but maybe it was just me.
opening and ending, i didn't like much either. The scenes were good - as tamaki mentioned, less show more artistic - but the music didn't quite hit it.
anyways im gona shut up now nd wait for the next ep xD
After Light Comes Darkness<=؟|?=>After Darkness Comes Light
Theres.always.a.fine.line.between.OPPOSITES
Apr 4, 2009 12:05 AM
Feb 2009
I don't care if it's cliche, I liked the episode and I will stick with this series for now. Nice animation and music.
Apr 4, 2009 1:38 AM

Aug 2008
Not very impressed by the first episode. There just seems to be something missing. The animation is good but you can't compare a good anime with just great animation. There needs to be a plot development within the next few episodes to make it at least decent. Probably after the third episode I will know to stick with it or not.
Apr 4, 2009 2:18 AM

Aug 2008
I liked the episode
nice animation and music
I will watch more
Apr 4, 2009 3:02 AM

May 2008
This episode was decent. I think I'll go on watching.

And I totally fell in love with the opening theme. *_*
Apr 4, 2009 3:13 AM

Jun 2008
Really confusing first episode, but. The animation was awesome.

Let's see where it takes us...
Apr 4, 2009 5:52 AM

Oct 2008
I liked it. I thought the first episode was interesting enough to make me keep watching the show. I'm interested in knowing more about the characters and the organization aims. The presentation was great as well as the sound effects. I like the melodramatic feel of the atmopshere. It added depth rather than just random shooting sequences.

I get a feeling, this will turn into a Bonie and Clyd anime.
Apr 4, 2009 7:50 AM

Mar 2008
Wow. Well...I stumbled across this, and it certainly caught my attention all the way through. Looks like a dramatic treat ^^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 4, 2009 10:02 AM
May 2008
Alright episode with some nice animation (which isn't saying much since many shows use the same art style). Hopefully it will get better since this ep seemed to just go through the motions (cliches). It did however pick up towards the end so overall a 7/10 ep, I'll stick with it.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Apr 4, 2009 10:54 AM

Jul 2008
I believe it has potential, as long as some other fansub group does it. I don't mind watching raws instead, I use the subs for some technical terms and such, but what Desire did in this episode was far from even being decent, their translation could actually be considered misleading and simply false.

On another note, I haven't quite been able to grasp why on earth anyone would care the least about the OP/ED, I mean, would you drop an anime 'cause the Opening or ending themes ain't satisfactory? Surely, having a neat OP adds a tiny bit to the feeling, but why does 90% of these discussions contain "good op/ed", "bad op/ed"? ;|
Apr 4, 2009 2:28 PM

Mar 2009
Having watched the OP/ED (Death Note FTW) prior to the episode itself, I was a bit disappointed – but luckily, all the hard feelings for this new Bee Train vanished as I watched the very episode. It was better than I imagined it would be. Camera angles, music, voice acting and direction (the way Ein and Zwei’s fight ended was a bit silly, though). I’m definitely looking forward to the next episodes.

Technically speaking, the animation and CGs were handled nicely (CGs reminded me of Madlax). It’s also *real* high definition and it looks that way (1440×810 letterboxed). On the other hand, the speedsub from Desire is a *real* speedsub and it feels that way (I don’t mind some spelling and timing, but the translation is oh-so-blatantly off at times).
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Sep 24, 2009

628 by __FK__ »»
Apr 15, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jul 16, 2009

145 by defaulticus »»
Mar 23, 2:46 PM

» Phantom: Requiem for the phantom. Visual Novel endings.

Jimmy2233 - Sep 26, 2013

5 by ALCYON3US »»
Feb 9, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ckam - Jul 20, 2009

71 by bubba460z »»
Dec 17, 2023 9:13 PM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Cheesyhoboe - Apr 23, 2009

116 by bubba460z »»
Dec 17, 2023 8:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.