Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 25, 2009 7:32 PM

Mar 2009
Something I picked up at Otakon last weekend (was it seriously that short ago? yikes!) was Club 9 and I'd definitely call it my latest find. Great main character, good comedy, good touching moments, just good everything, go try it out!
Sep 3, 2009 11:54 AM

Dec 2008
Hotel it is kind of epic, makes you think about what we are doing to the planet..and makes you sad at what could be our future. Besides it also makes you wonder about our origins and if it is possible that everything is just a cycle.
Sep 4, 2009 5:04 PM

Feb 2008
A few recent finds:

Shoujo Fight. A fantastic little series about of all things, women's volleyball! It's by the author of G Senjou Heaven's Door (Nihonbashi Yowoko).

Sexy Voice and Robo. Compelling and quirky. Hayashi Nico is one of the most fascinating characters I've come across in a long time.

Confession. An "on the edge of your seat" thriller about two mountain climbers and their secrets.
Sep 5, 2009 3:55 PM

Sep 2007
These aren't really recent, but since I haven't posted in here in a while (if at all), I will list my somewhat recent "hidden" manga finds:

1.Fairy Cube - Pick it up purely because the cover looked nice. Luckily the story was really good as well. Haven't finished it yet.

2.G Senjou Heaven's Door - Not really a 'find' since it was recommended to me, but my goodness it is really good. I cannot wait until the rest of the chapters are up that is how hooked I am.
Sep 11, 2009 11:31 AM
Mar 2008
Wow, I haven't been posting in this thread lately. Anyway, my latest and greatest finds are Swallowing the Earth and it's not a manga (it's a light novel) but Missin'. It's by the same author of the novel Kamikaze Girls. If anyone liked Kamikaze Girls, then you might enjoy Missin' as well. It has a lot of the same themes.

Also, the 2nd story in Missin' kind of reminds me of Nana a bit (the whole rock style kind of life).

@soaring_wings: Fairy Cube is one of the few series that I really like from Kaori Yuki, mainly because it's like a darker story revolving around fairies I guess.
Sep 12, 2009 12:51 AM

Mar 2008
Recently I've picked up Vinland Saga, and at first I'll admit I was pretty sketchy on it. My first impression was just an extremely violent manga; the first chapter doesn't really reflect any of the humor or plot of the rest of the series in my opinion, and is more dull in comparison. Luckily, I did stick with it though.

Anyways,Yukimura Makoto's Vinland Saga is about this boy Thorfinn who is a part of a viking crew for the sole purpose of avenging his father's death. The whole story is placed around eleventh century Northern Europe, and deals with some interesting cultural differences including religion and social structure. (Eg. Like how the English were Christian, and their crappy king.) The art is pretty good for the first part of the series, but the later chapters definitely show improvement. Well, if you're the type of person who's gung-ho about vikings, or is interesting in time period manga (European History= Love), I'd definitely suggest this manga.

Well anyways, this was my first review for a manga ever, excuse the ranting and noob. ;_;
Sep 12, 2009 3:26 AM

Jan 2007
I would say two of Taniguchi Jiro's manga,Benkei in New York and The Walking man,well in the former he only did the art.I especially liked The Walking man,such a calm and beautiful manga.

Also I would like to mention Undercurrent,a very good drama about a women who suddenly finds herself alone,tormented by not knowing what happened to her husband and her struggle to move on.This manga can be quite relaxing at times but also quite sad.
Sep 12, 2009 6:44 PM

Feb 2008
1. shadow star naru taru - this series is keeping me on the edge of my seat and has made me jump a few times while reading.

2. confidential confessions - I dunno if this is a true "hidden" manga because its a slightly older tokyopop release. but I never hear people talking about this series and its not easy to find in stores past volume 1. anyway, i love it. i came very close to crying when reading and thats super rare for me.
Sep 16, 2009 2:27 PM

Mar 2008
Oh oh oh, I finally remembered to post about "Liar Game"
It's been likened to Death Note, mainly because it's classed as a psychological, but in a way it's more realistic, or you can relate to it more, although it is set in the context of a game. http://myanimelist.net/manga/1649/Liar_Game
The art may seem off putting at first, but it is worth reading and the art seems rather suitable for it too. ^^
He saves planets, rescues civilisations, defeats terrible creatures ... and runs a lot. Seriously, there is an outrageous amount of running involved. xD

Sep 18, 2009 8:45 PM

Aug 2008
Hachi

I know the whole story, but I still cried. :( The artist also did Deep Love - Pao no Monogatari. I'm not big into Hollywood movies, but I kinda want to watching the upcoming Hachi movie now.
Sep 30, 2009 11:22 AM
Mar 2008
shinkeikaku said:
Hachi

I know the whole story, but I still cried. :( The artist also did Deep Love - Pao no Monogatari. I'm not big into Hollywood movies, but I kinda want to watching the upcoming Hachi movie now.

Are you talking about this movie shin? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1028532/

I'm not that big on Hollywood adaptations of foreign material but now you've got me interested in this, especially since I can't find the Hachi manga in English.
Sep 30, 2009 2:03 PM

Aug 2008
sakura_r0se said:
Are you talking about this movie shin? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1028532/

I'm not that big on Hollywood adaptations of foreign material but now you've got me interested in this, especially since I can't find the Hachi manga in English.

The manga isn't in English (yet? surely someone will scan it). Yes, that's the movie I'm talking about. I don't know how well the actors will carry it like Richard Gere, but the real star of the show is Hachi. I'm not sure if a live dog can be as expressive as the ones drawn in the manga (his art style has improved a lot even from Pao!). The manga has such expressive eyes and you can see Hachi get more worn and beaten down by time, slowly and surely, but still have a resolute will. Drawings are probably easier to convey this? That's the part that really tugged at me. I didn't really care much about the story while the guy was alive (not a spoiler since it's a well known historical tidbit? >.>)

But either way, I will go see this and see for myself! I really liked the manga and the new movie follows the same interpretation of Hachi's story.
Oct 2, 2009 10:56 AM

Mar 2008
Not quite sure if this goes here, but judging how I don't hear people raving about it, I suppose it would. But I'm reading Belmonde le Visiteur The art style in my opinion is rather good, though unique in its own way. Its about a man whose mother was a witch, and was burned at the stake. Because they thought it cruel to kill the baby, the monks placed Belmonde in a dungeon like room raising him there. By law Belmonde is not allowed to leave, the place he was raised in. So there he tortures criminals, to get the information that they hold secret from the hired client. With Belmonde's personality I find it rather amusing at times.

I'm not the best when it comes to summaries, if you want to check it out. Just look it up, here on MAL :)
XxThageXxOct 2, 2009 11:03 AM
What you saw at the castle on that windy night ,and what you saw at the bridge last night .. how I smiled, never utter a word to anyone. If you dare speak .. I will find where you are .. And I will kill you. Kill you. I will rip you apart .. crush your bones And eat your flesh.. I will drink your blood. I will .. devour you.

Oct 4, 2009 4:48 AM

Dec 2007
At the moment I'd go with Shoujo Nemu - it's about 10 years old, but you'd never think so - it's a delightful story (based on a tale by the guy who wrote Oldboy) about a girl who wants to be a mangaka and an older, disillusioned mangaka. Kotonoha are scanlating it - track it down, you won't be sorry.
Gremlin's World - School Daze - The Comedies III
Oct 9, 2009 3:50 AM

Sep 2007
I haven't mentioned it but I read a couple of weeks ago the manga "Red River" which is too underrated... ;_; A brilliant manga in my opinion. If you like historical setting in your manga and a story about a girl in another world, go check it out! :>
Oct 10, 2009 5:26 PM
Aug 2009
i dunno if its 'hidden' but ive never heard of this manga before i came across it because of a recent update. Its called Girl in heels. It sounds like a typical shoujo in the description but I thought it was really good when I read it a couple of weeks ago. Even the art is unique. It almost looks like the art is from a video game or something. I dont usually like manhwa but its not a bad read. I cant wait until the next update.
Oct 14, 2009 9:06 AM

Nov 2007
I recently started to read Gestalt. It's rather typical Kouga Yun fare, but I love how the character could almost be used for a DnD game. Spell beakdowns are awesome. /geek moment.

I waited for this one to be released in the states instead of reading scans for it. And I am happy with what I have seen so far.
Oct 14, 2009 9:29 AM

Nov 2007
Iono-sama Fanatics

A short shoujo ai/yuri series that, refreshingly, isn't about angst, melodrama, etc, etc.

It's just out to have fun is all.
What a day! What a lovely Day!
Nov 8, 2009 3:11 PM

Mar 2009
Seizon Life, happened upon the name on a another forum and decided to give it a shot, good mystery manga, had me anxiously clicking for the next page!
Jan 2, 2010 11:59 AM

Mar 2008
Well, this probably isn't a hidden gem per say, seeing as how it's been published in English...Although I've only recently heard of it.

Red River, is amazing. I'll admit it, I'm horribly biased against shojo manga. I tend to label off 98% of all shojo manga before I even read the synopsis. I guess that would have happened with Red River too, if it weren't for the fact that it was the only manga I could get my hands on at the time. The gushy shojo scenes in the later half of the manga are admittedly dull to my palette, but the historical aspects of the series make up for it and more. Before this series, I didn't know who the Hitties were, and honestly I could have cared less.
Jan 24, 2010 7:16 AM

Apr 2009
Memories_of_Emanon
http://myanimelist.net/manga/17465/Memories_of_Emanon

The story (about a girl who remembers everything what has happened in the history of earth) seemed very interesting, so I decided to check it out. It is quite short but was very enjoyable.
Jan 27, 2010 8:38 PM

Jun 2009
Eagle: the Making of an Asian American President
I won't be fooled by a mere 3-d girl!!!

Jan 28, 2010 4:29 PM

Mar 2009
Flower of Life has become a new favorite of mine, I can't wait for volume 4 to arrive! I picked up vol 1-3 at a used store for $5 each and man, I just loved the series! This wait for vol 4 is terrible, but it has already shipped so it'll get better soon, and it's the last volume in the series too, which both upsets me, but makes me glad that it's not gonna drag.
I've read a few other Fumi Yoshinaga stuff (Antique Bakery, All My Darling Daughters, and a bit Ooku) and this one is by far my favorite, I just love its balance of drama with comedy and character interactions.
Jan 28, 2010 7:53 PM
Nov 2007
All My Darling Daughters by Fumi Yoshinaga, who also did Ooku: The Inner Chamber.
Feb 23, 2010 8:29 PM

Dec 2007
As my 'hello' post, I figured I would post my latest "hidden" find; Tenma no Ketsuzoku by Keiko Takemiya :)

I stumbled across it while looking for something else (though I can't recall what... it distracted me) and before this, the only work of hers I'd read to completion was To Terra (which I own) although I've read a few chapters of Heart of Thomas and Pharaoh's Tomb.

Tenma is a historical series with politics, people not entirely knowledgeable about said politics, military action, possible impending romance and a sprinkling of fantasy elements (telekinesis, animal control, spidey senses, mental projection, unusually-persuasive-seduction, amongst other things).
The fantasy elements fit in surprisingly well, although actually the story would probably work just as well without them, as they don't really seem 'integral' or over the top.
These first few volumes have probably been setup for some larger goal (considering that I've read four volumes and there are 24 altogether, although the rereleased bunko version was a more reasonable 8), and so far they have worked on introducing the world, introducing some conflict, and setting everyone into motion; There has been a shakeup in the 'local' heirarchy, some mass murder, a surprising lack of angst over the mass murder (thank god), some mysterious pasts, and lots of scheming.

These first volumes have provided a rather strong basis to work from, with a well realised setting, some mystery and superstition, a number of story threads, and some likeable characters with actual aims.

Osbolt starts out by taking things in his stride and then realises that if things aren't going to go the way he wants, well, he's just going to have to try to make them. He's rash and headstrong but also brave and intelligent; He seems able to control an army and his own people just fine, but once he starts looking further afield he discovers that unfortunately he just isn't very knowledgeable about The Way Things Are Done.
His 'brother' Ismael is different, elegant, and with a far greater understanding of The Way Things Are Done, but he's deeper into the scheming and/or fantasy mystical powers side of things instead of being a particularly strong leader.
There's also a surprisingly strong female lead in Altjin who, while impulsive, doesn't appear completely mad or suffering from a case of the clumsies. In shojo tradition its obvious that there a few different 'romantic' options for her but thus far she barely acknowledges that they are there (from the romantic standpoint... even if she does completely tire herself out in her efforts to protect one of them from harm) because she is busy with the rest of her life. I almost hope it continues that way, although it probably doesn't. As it stands she's "one of the guys" and while not physically as strong her skills enable her to remain on equal footing. She is friendly, approachable and sensible and is able to capture peoples interest that way.
They aren't alone either, as some of the other characters seem to work just as well.

It surprised me with how good it was. The intial premise didn't seem anything spectacular, but the execution is far better than some other attempts at similar stories that I've seen (and has the advantage of not having a main female character with all the charisma of a wet dishcloth moping over guys).

Truth told I'm not sure how well the story would play out through such a long series, but I do hope to find out someday.
Unfortunately it was dropped by Shojo Magic, and they have now ceased scanlating anyway, so I'm not sure if I'll ever get to read more :x
Feb 28, 2010 7:31 AM

Sep 2009
for me it hink it has to be the lovely wizard/senjutsushi wa kujikenai cuz the art drew me in and i like a bit of history in my manga :D
Ichimaru-senpaiMar 2, 2010 2:38 AM
Welcome to my happy world now get your shit and leave

Oct 19, 2010 11:23 AM

Feb 2009
The Hating Girl/Subeteni Iya Garu

This manga is about misunderstandings between a boy named Ryouji and a girl who has an arrow stuck in her head.
It's a great mixture of romance and comedy elements with hardly any stereotypes you get in other comedy/romance stories.
The art is a bit weird at first but you get used to it and in the end you'll notice that this style fits perfectly.

I already read this series twice and I really love it.
Oct 27, 2010 8:31 PM

Oct 2007
Just read The Music of Marie which was jus amazing.

The artwork took a little bit to get used to, and it was definitely not a quick read.... but it was just done so well. The story was engrossing and by the end i was just o____o !
Nov 2, 2010 12:23 PM

Sep 2009
The Name of the Flower
Nov 23, 2010 12:11 AM

Sep 2010
Zankoku na Kami ga Shihai Suru
(After Us, the Savage God)

One of the greatest series I have read in awhile. It wasn't anything like I expected. Too bad it isn't fully translated.
Nov 23, 2010 5:14 PM

Nov 2010
Also my hello post :D - My favourite hidden manga find would probably be F.Compo. Things I liked about the series - the story takes on a very sweet and lighthearted approach to alternative lifestyles/families, while maintaining sensitivity towards these issues. The author (Tsukasa Hojo - who brought us city hunter) also has a very unique and charming way of drawing characters
Dec 13, 2010 10:15 AM

Aug 2010
BASARA!!!

And im glad that i found this jewel! It's been quite some time since i read some quality manga!
Apr 13, 2011 10:36 PM

Aug 2010
My Girl By Sumomo Yumeka

I must admit, I probably wouldn't have read this, if not for the fact that I found out that sumomo yumeka was another pen-name for the artist of Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan. The Manga was a bit out of the way otherwise, but it's very sweet, and touching. It's a Josei. And I found it right when I needed to read something like it, and that's always nice. ^_^
Apr 29, 2011 10:32 AM
May 2007
mirai nikki. blew my mind
Aug 9, 2012 9:42 PM

Apr 2012
oneshots.
i've been into oneshots, and they all seem pretty good =D
the most recent decent shoujo oneshot that i've read is love log.
it's short, it's sweet and really satisfying. but i guess i still want a sequel XD

http://12years.smackjeeves.com : READ MY ORIGINAL WEBMANGA!
Oct 17, 2012 7:46 AM
Jul 2018
By far my most favourite one was NG LIFE! Heard of it? I'll post the summary some time in the future? Or you can actually go to MAL directory. It's shoujo romantic comedy genre and author is Mizuho KusaIt made me go WOW, literally and ever pulled at my heart strings a couple of times. nagi
Nov 30, 2012 1:40 AM

Aug 2010
I have just finished reading Alexandrite, after reading the 'parent story' called Cipher. And I really find myself liking Alexandrite, I think it is because of the main character's personality which I think is quite unique and likable (to me). The plot was alright (nothing special, and not bad), but I guess what made me really like this series are the characters in the title - they are all (quite surprisingly) likable!
Feb 17, 2013 2:00 PM

Jun 2009
Akarui Sekai Keikaku
Synopsis:
"The minister's aide has an idea, a project in mind to help correct the declining birth rates in Japan. This plan, so to speak, has it where Japan's youth are encouraged to form relationships. The catch is that at the chosen highschool for the initial test of this is being held, the project is mandatory — the students must become intimate couples with the other students or they will die."

I like this one,there is even a childhood friend a bit yandere.

Mar 14, 2013 11:14 PM
Feb 2009
I just read the last update of http://myanimelist.net/manga/1605/Shokoku_no_Altair !

" Mahmut is a young Pasha serving on the general's council of Turkey. The clouds of war are gathering over his country. With Turkey's council split between the warmongers and the pacifists, Mahmut begins his quest to keep the peace at any cost. As he finds himself deeper and deeper in the politics of the ancient world, new enemies and allies surface. Who will prevail? What will Mahmut do if war proves to be inevitable? "

As the plot focus on politics and war, it has the seriousness and developing it needs as the topics aren't simple. The author manages to have a great character development and settings. It also has cultural explanations as it sets and it is a semihistorical shounen :)
Apr 3, 2013 8:20 PM

Oct 2009
Terra Formars, simply one of the best current mangas I'm reading...
Apr 19, 2013 3:10 PM

Mar 2008
Shingeki no Kyojin.
It's really good!
Jul 13, 2013 4:57 PM

Jul 2010
I started reading Mimia Hime back in February, and seriously, it's the best thing I've read since +Anima and With The Light, even though there's only two volumes scanlated. My God, someone license this thing and bring it to the US! It deserves it!
Aug 3, 2013 10:59 PM

Sep 2011
Kokou no Hito / The Climber is an absolutely fantastic manga about rock climbing. You may think, "Rock climbing? No thanks." But this manga will entice you and keep you hooked until you've finished the whole series. You don't even need to be interested in sports to enjoy this. The main character is sullen and quiet, but he has prodigal talent in rock climbing.

Again!! is also a great series about time travelling with some sports. It's a romcom shonen with good art. The protagonist is also a bit unusual from his peers, but eventually finds a way to fit in.
Aug 7, 2013 12:54 PM
Feb 2011
Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo - http://myanimelist.net/manga/35003/Yamada-kun_to_7-nin_no_Majo

Synopsis:
Ryu Yamada is a second year student at Suzaku High. Ryu is always late for school, naps in class and gets abysmal grades. His life is a dead bore. The beautiful Urara Shiraishi, on the other hand, is Suzaku High's brightest student. One day, without explanation, their bodies are swapped! Ryu ends up in Urara's body, and Urara in Ryu's.

I couldn't stop reading until I had gone through all of the scanlated chapters. The story is basically about how Ryu (who reminds me of Oga from Beelzebub) transforms from a delinquent no one at school likes to a well liked student through social interactions with other students, brought in motion by the seven witches. There is a lot of good humor about, and even though there is some gender bender and BL about, you don't feel awkward about them. The characters are mostly likeable, even the student council president who the reader is usually directed to hate towards. 8/10
Oct 8, 2013 1:00 PM

Apr 2009
The last great manga that I read was Marie no Kanaderu Ongaku. When I started to read it, seriously thought that "The Music of Marie" it was a minor work in the carrer of the great Usamaru Furuya. And it continued in that way for a couple of chapters, but what wrong I was. This manga is just wonderful, not only with the gorgeous art that any work of Usamaru have, also his amazing worked argument. Is a piece of art that dazzle with his visual style and at same time touch our mind with the reflections about the rol of the technification in the society.
Apr 13, 2015 8:47 AM

Aug 2012
I bought three volumes of Mail at an anime convention in Hungary, and I didn't regret it. I've never heard of it before, and I was surprised to find something so awesome hidden among all the generic ecchi comedy manga that were sold at that panel...
At the end of one of the volumes, it is mentioned in the notes of the publisher that it is the adaptation of n anime movie... but I can't seem to find it. But it doesn't really matter, the manga is awesome enough as it is. ^^
"Wings that can't fly have no meaning" Thono (Air)
Apr 20, 2015 10:31 AM

Jan 2015
Adolf ni Tsugu - An overall great story from Osamu Tezuka. It has everything, from friendship, to espionage, war and politics.

Haruka na Machi e - This was a very enjoyable story from Jiro Taniguchi. Starts off as a little cliche, but the development and the message it delivers is great. Quite an emotional piece of literature.

Aruku Hito - Another great story by Jiro Taniguchi. This was very short and had little dialogue, but I liked the feeling it transmitted.

Tekkon Kinkreet - Taiyou Matsumoto doesn't get the credit he deserves. His bizarre art, coupled with a great coming of age story, make Tekkon Kinkreet a very enjoyable manga. There is also an amazing anime film based on it.
Apr 22, 2015 11:56 PM

Jul 2009
Not quite a recent manga I read, but Kamichu! is quite a pleasant slice-of-life centered around middle school girls. One girl becomes a god one day, and tries to find out what she's become a god of. The series is very innocent.

Vagrant Soldier Ares isn't really too obscure, or so its stats suggest to me. If you're looking for beautiful art, this manhwa isn't for you; but if you're looking for a frenzied epic about several young men in war, illustrated in a frenetic and rough fashion that reflects its themes, then read this. I can't recommend it enough to people looking for a shounen action adventure manga that's not Shonen Jump-"battle."

Scumbag Loser isn't for people who want to read or look at something pleasant. It's about people ugly on the outside and the in, and it gets fairly gory near the end. It's almost completely translated!

Kiss x Death isn't completely original--think a risqué TWGOK--but it's by a fairly known mangaka, Yano Kasuhiro, author of Mx0 and Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa.
May 8, 2015 8:14 PM

Dec 2011
I just caught up to 3-Gatsu no lion .. It's by the author of honey and clover but not known like the former.

the synopsis is this The protagonist is Rei, a 17-year-old shogi player. He lives by himself, not having a family, and does not go to school and has scarcely any friends. Among his acquaintances is a family, which consists of a young woman, Akari, and two young girls, Momo and Hinata, and who also keep a numerous number of cats.

I really like it and read all the currently out chapters in one day. It's a really insightful manga dealing with the complexity of relationships (there is some romance but it's mainly platonic/not focused on) and has a sense of realism to it's characters especially the main one. Plus it also has it's heartwarming moments.
Jun 27, 2016 7:53 PM

Apr 2013
I just joined this group and it looks fantastic! I've added quite a few things from this thread and the one about "current obsessions" to my list. Lots of great stuff on here! Good manga never grows old. No one's posted on this thread for a while, but I'll go ahead and revive it. :)

It's not a "new discovery," since I've been reading it since the licensed release started, but Bara Ou no Sourestu/Requiem of the Rose King is really good. It doesn't have many members on here, though. Really interesting premise and setting--a retelling of Shakespeare's history plays in which Richard III's deformity is being intersex instead of hunchbacked. It's by the author of Otomen.

I read Golden Days on the recommendation of my sister and it's kind of my current obsession. It's historical time travel with multiple romances (one of them is BL, but Golden Days fits more into the shoujo genre than BL). It's a touching story and surprisingly philosophical.

And I just started Fukuyadou Honpo which I found when I searched for manga published in the magazine "Bouquet" which Akiko Higashimura debuted in (in Kakukaku Shikajika). It's a family story about three sisters and their family's wagashi shop. I'm only three chapters in, but there's lots of family drama and very Japanese cultural things.

This post has become very long. I guess I just can't stop writing about unpopular manga!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vote for the Hidden Gem of Manga - May 2024

Brand - Apr 21

0 by Brand »»
Apr 21, 4:32 PM

Sticky: » Suggest a Hidden Gem of the Month! ( 1 2 3 4 )

Brand - May 2, 2017

181 by Mr_Libra »»
Apr 8, 10:06 AM

» April 2024 - Believers

Brand - Apr 3

0 by Brand »»
Apr 3, 6:22 PM

Poll: » Vote for the Hidden Gem of Manga - April 2024

Brand - Mar 17

0 by Brand »»
Mar 17, 7:24 AM

» March 2024 - Isabella Bird in Wonderland: Unbeaten Tracks in Japan

Brand - Mar 2

0 by Brand »»
Mar 2, 2:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.