Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Dec 2 - Dec 8

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Dec 14, 2013 9:50 AM

Nov 2011
So now NNB's estimation went up to 6.1k. Thats good news.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Dec 14, 2013 10:38 AM
Jul 2013
rederoin said:
So now NNB's estimation went up to 6.1k. Thats good news.

Stretching for dat Kin Mosa sales numbers!
Dec 15, 2013 2:10 AM

Nov 2007
Oricon Daily All-Genre Top 30 DVD/Top 20 BD Rankings for Dec 14.

DVD
**9 *10 *11 *12 *13 *14 *15  週
*17 *** *17 *24 *20 *18 *** | -- | Tonari no Totoro
*** *** *** *** *** *26 *** | -- | Doraemon Nobita no Himitsu Dougu Museum Movie
*** *** *** **3 *14 *** *** | -- | Steins;Gate Movie
**7 *19 *19 *** *** *** *** | -- | Free!4
*** *30 *** *** *** *** *** | -- | Lupin III VS Detective Conan
*28 *** *** *** *** *** *** | -- | Detective Conan Movie 17

BD
*** *** *** **1 **2 **4 *** | -- | Steins;Gate Movie Limited Edition
**4 *20 *14 *13 *** **9 *** | -- | Mononoke Hime
*** *** *** **4 *12 *14 *** | -- | Steins;Gate Movie Regular Edition
**3 *19 *15 *** *** *19 *** | -- | Free!4
*** *14 *17 *** *18 *** *** | -- | KamiNomi 3
*** *** *** **7 *20 *** *** | -- | Galilei Donna 1
*** *** *10 *15 *** *** *** | -- | SekaTsuyo!1
*** *17 *** *** *** *** *** | -- | Genshiken 4
**6 *** *** *** *** *** *** | -- | Hataraku Maou-sama!6
**8 *** *** *** *** *** *** | -- | Shingeki 5
*10 *** *** *** *** *** *** | -- | SymphogearG 3
*12 *** *** *** *** *** *** | -- | NekoShiro 2
*18 *** *** *** *** *** *** | -- | UtaPri 2000% 6
*20 *** *** *** *** *** *** | -- | Detective Conan Movie 17
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Dec 15, 2013 7:39 AM

Oct 2007
I legitimately do not get why some people think Kyousougiga is gods gift to anime. especially after the two most recent episodes, but it does seem to deserve better than it's estimate based on the visual creativity and ambition it showed in it's first half alone.

My whole bet for that other show now rests entirely on that 12th episode being the emotional manipulator the writers claim it to be and single handedly convincing otaku to buy the series en masse, but with less than 3 weeks to go it'd practically have to land all 7 volumes in the top 10 somehow to pull off best seller of the season status. It just really doesn't look doable admittedly, but I could know as soon as Friday this week how things are going to turn out.
PeacingOutDec 15, 2013 7:44 AM
Dec 15, 2013 8:49 AM

Sep 2012
^^^ That just doesn't happen with anime, like, ever... I still find it a bit odd that even if the first disc doesn't come out until after all the episodes have aired people in Japan still make up their mind well before the final episode. So it just isn't going to happen. That ship has sailed and you can't jump off the dock and swim to it, just no way.
Dec 15, 2013 9:02 AM
May 2013
I'd like to express my opinion but I don't want it to come off as excessively hypocritical. So here's a disclaimer, I haven't preordered any BD/DVDs for this season and I may not do so, so I haven't contributed to the success (or lack thereof) of the industry lately. And so it will likely be for now assuming I don't suddenly win the lottery or something like that I guess (I realize people probably use the finances excuse a lot, so this may seem overused, and I'm sorry if it does). I hope this doesn't disqualify me from expressing my opinion on sales for this season.

Now for what I wanted to say. I'm pretty disappointed with the way it seems like things are going saleswise for this (fall) season. In my opinion, there are quite a few shows that I think are at least decent and I would think should have decent sales numbers (like 3k+, if you want an arbitrary number). There are more decent/good shows in terms of quantity, in my opinion, than I think there have been in the recent past seasons.

Yes, I know (my opinion of) quality doesn't automatically equate to financial success. But still (correct me if I'm wrong), based on what I've seen, it seems like the numbers overall for this season are not even similar to the recent seasons, but LOWER than usual. This is puzzling and perhaps a bit frustrating. Why are so many shows doing so poorly? Are they doing something wrong? Have they not put the right extras or whatever to attract purchases? Or are my preferences just so far from the modern day anime purchasing community?

I guess we will see how things turn out. But it's disappointing to see this happen to a season that I thought had so much promise, and has delivered on quite a bit of it in my opinion.

Edit: I realize the numbers aren't really set and that Stalker can be wrong, but I feel like Stalker can at least give you a sense of how things are going, particularly if you use a large sample size (i.e. many shows).

Switching gears, does anyone know how well that Aoki Hagane Ending (Blue Field I think) did? Grr...It's like a guilty pleasure. So dang catchy.
HahalollawlDec 15, 2013 9:38 AM
Dec 15, 2013 10:20 AM
Mar 2010
Hahalollawl said:

Now for what I wanted to say. I'm pretty disappointed with the way it seems like things are going saleswise for this (fall) season. In my opinion, there are quite a few shows that I think are at least decent and I would think should have decent sales numbers (like 3k+, if you want an arbitrary number). There are more decent/good shows in terms of quantity, in my opinion, than I think there have been in the recent past seasons.

I agree with most of what you've said here. Fall 2013 is one of the if not the best season of this year imo. I would like Nagi no Asukara and Samumenco to at least break 3k. Loads of good shows but they're just not popular with the disc buying audience. Well, I also have to brush up on this but yeah, one of the weakest seasons, especially compared to Fall 2012. Hopefully the good winter shows have good sales.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Dec 15, 2013 10:29 AM
Jul 2013
phoenixalia said:
Hahalollawl said:

I agree with most of what you've said here. Fall 2013 is one of the if not the best season of this year imo. I would like Nagi no Asukara and Samumenco to at least break 3k. Loads of good shows but they're just not popular with the disc buying audience. Well, I also have to brush up on this but yeah, one of the weakest seasons, especially compared to Fall 2012. Hopefully the good winter shows have good sales.

I feel that Winter 2014 is stronger compared to Winter 2013. Probably due to a Shueisha + Shaft show (Nisekoi!!!), Chuunibyo S2 (Yay!!!), Sakura Trick (hyped Yuri anime that I will definitely watch because yuri is for real men) and a good slew of enjoyable shows in general. And hey, Sailor Moon remake is coming :P.

Spring 2014 is just like Spring 2013 IMO. I just checked Anichart for the titles, and wow:

• Akuma Riddle (Dang, dat poster. Dat yuri.)

• JoJo 3: Stardust Crusader (Jojo. Will. Always. Sell)

• Love Live S2 (Course!)

• Kagerou Days The Anime (I'd like to call it that, cause I'm too lazy to memorize its name; Definitely a top seller of that season)

• Haikyuu (Shueisha's next sport series that fujoshis will love and buy?)

• Bunch of other good shows that I'll not list to save space in this thread
Dec 15, 2013 10:55 AM
May 2013
Xinception said:
phoenixalia said:
Hahalollawl said:

I feel that Winter 2014 is stronger compared to Winter 2013. Probably due to a Shueisha + Shaft show (Nisekoi!!!), Chuunibyo S2 (Yay!!!), Sakura Trick (hyped Yuri anime that I will definitely watch because yuri is for real men) and a good slew of enjoyable shows in general. And hey, Sailor Moon remake is coming :P.

Spring 2014 is just like Spring 2013 IMO. I just checked Anichart for the titles, and wow:

• Akuma Riddle (Dang, dat poster. Dat yuri.)

• JoJo 3: Stardust Crusader (Jojo. Will. Always. Sell)

• Love Live S2 (Course!)

• Kagerou Days The Anime (I'd like to call it that, cause I'm too lazy to memorize its name; Definitely a top seller of that season)

• Haikyuu (Shueisha's next sport series that fujoshis will love and buy?)

• Bunch of other good shows that I'll not list to save space in this thread

Winter 2013 is kind of weird. As far as new shows that started that season you may be right, but the season itself (in my opinion) was propped up by a whole bunch of fantastic series that continued from Fall 2012 (Psycho-Pass, Zetsuen no Tempest, Shinsekai Yori) so it actually may have seemed really good at the time.

As for Winter 2014, you know what, it does look like it could be fantastic. I do have a lot to look forward to (Nobunaga the Fool, Buddy Complex, and Nisekoi probably interest me most, but there are a lot of other interesting shows).

It's kind of early to speculate on Spring 2014 but so far Rettousei, Black Bullet, and Sidonia no Kishi seem interesting to me.

So yeah, things look pretty good going forward, but still, why do so many shows seem like they're going to do poorly this season? I guess maybe what I'm trying to say is, I would like to see studios that I think have done some pretty solid work rewarded for their efforts, and I'm not sure if that is going to happen this season...
HahalollawlDec 15, 2013 11:04 AM
Dec 15, 2013 11:05 AM
Jul 2013
Hahalollawl said:

Yes, I know (my opinion of) quality doesn't automatically equate to financial success. But still (correct me if I'm wrong), based on what I've seen, it seems like the numbers overall for this season are not even similar to the recent seasons, but LOWER than usual. This is puzzling and perhaps a bit frustrating. Why are so many shows doing so poorly? Are they doing something wrong? Have they not put the right extras or whatever to attract purchases? Or are my preferences just so far from the modern day anime purchasing community?

Putting aside viewer opinions on shows, I think we have to observe several more seasons to say if it's a blip or a trend.

At any rate, recent demand for home video has been high for two main reasons: the rise of social media and the DVD to BD transition. I don't know much about the former, but the BD effect is bound to dissipate sooner or later. It happened with DVDs (market bubble and subsequent overproduction of anime) - people purchase more when they've invested in new equipment, but the novelty and compulsion to buy declines over time.
Dec 15, 2013 11:21 AM
May 2013
Yause said:
Hahalollawl said:

Putting aside viewer opinions on shows, I think we have to observe several more seasons to say if it's a blip or a trend.

At any rate, recent demand for home video has been high for two main reasons: the rise of social media and the DVD to BD transition. I don't know much about the former, but the BD effect is bound to dissipate sooner or later. It happened with DVDs (market bubble and subsequent overproduction of anime) - people purchase more when they've invested in new equipment, but the novelty and compulsion to buy declines over time.

Hmmm...an interesting point. I guess I hadn't really considered the possibility that there might be significant effect from BDs losing a bit of their novelty. However, a more significant sample probably is, as you note, necessary in order to say with confidence that there is a trend.
Dec 15, 2013 11:43 AM

Nov 2008
Hahalollawl said:
Yause said:
Hahalollawl said:

Hmmm...an interesting point. I guess I hadn't really considered the possibility that there might be significant effect from BDs losing a bit of their novelty. However, a more significant sample probably is, as you note, necessary in order to say with confidence that there is a trend.

It'll be a long while before BDs go extinct though, the only route Japan has is streaming for a replacement medium as I doubt they are too welcome of any other of form of digital distribution. Heck the West shows dislike at digital downloads of movies but is welcome to Hulu and Netflix.

Dec 15, 2013 1:35 PM
Jul 2013
Hoppy said:
Hahalollawl said:
Yause said:
Hahalollawl said:

It'll be a long while before BDs go extinct though, the only route Japan has is streaming for a replacement medium as I doubt they are too welcome of any other of form of digital distribution. Heck the West shows dislike at digital downloads of movies but is welcome to Hulu and Netflix.

The need to buy BDs as an investment in your machines is an interesting factor, I didn't even think of that, wow. But I still think that the "Wow-factor" affects sales more.

I think that streaming services dominating in the future is inevitable. The West has proven that streaming is the better route for entertainment. Heck, my mates dropped cables and switched to Netflix.

I wonder how does streaming work though. Does the streaming company pay for the licenses/expenses and stream it, taking revenue from ads or membership payment? Or does that company pay the studios base on viewership? Say SnK has high ratings and views per episode, and some of the membership payment amount will be directed to WIT studios?

Either that or a new type of disc comes out, better than Blu-ray. Sony and Parasonic are partnering on next-gen game disc which is said to store up to 500GB (o-o I guess we'll be using this for our future 4K tv? O-o). A new type of disc would lead to a transition similar to the DVD -> Blu-Ray one?

Since disc sales isn't as reliable of an income as it was before, studios will be forced to try new ways to make money back. Symphogear's main source of income is its single sales. Adaptations also rely on their original material's boost to justify for another season. I think merchandise will be pushed towards becoming another source of reliable income. Advertisement also, too! Yama no Susume got people to come to its event in the place it's set at, I think.

Lastly, I don't think people will like digital distribution either. Me personally, I wouldn't want to waste, say my PC's weak ass storage. If they do what Valve does, letting you re download your purchases again anytime you want, I think it might work. Still, you'll need to have a golden reputation that Valve has among its customers to successfully pull it off though.
XinceptionDec 15, 2013 1:54 PM
Dec 15, 2013 5:39 PM
May 2013
jmal said:
Xinception said:
I think that streaming services dominating in the future is inevitable. The West has proven that streaming is the better route for entertainment. Heck, my mates dropped cables and switched to Netflix.

You're mixing up collecting and viewing.

Streaming is for viewing, not for owning. Streaming would be a challenge to television, not to BDs.

BDs, in the case of anime sold in Japan, are for owning. They are intended for the biggest fans of a show (given their price). It is expected that far, far, far, far more people watch a show on TV or elsewhere than will buy it.

BD sales and streaming have no relationship now or for the foreseeable future. Fall sales are simply down because there are less shows that people are interested in buying - that seems like the least presumptuous conclusion. Some potential heavy hitters either dropped from previous seasons or didn't materialize into major hits, and the low end of sales is quite low again, like Summer. This is just my anecdotal experience of course, but I imported 6 shows in Winter, 6 in Spring, 7 in Summer, and as of now I'm only importing 2 in Fall. There are some other reasons why it's lower for me, but 4 would be the max I'd go this season even if I wanted to buy more.

Also as a general caution, be careful about extrapolating broad trends from a single season or year. Saying "Since disc sales isn't as reliable of an income as it was before" without any caveats of explanation is pretty provocative. Reliable compared to when? How exactly do sales this year compare to last year and if it's lower, why do you think this isn't temporary? And so on.

I thought about commenting on this and I agree to a degree. While I do think it is possible BDs go out of style, if it does happen I believe it will be in favor of something else that can be owned in a physical form (i.e. new disc technology), not streaming. Xinception did mention this as a possibility, and I believe it is far more likely to happen than streaming replacing BDs. While I wouldn't say that BD sales and streaming have no relationship (aren't there some shows that only stream online and sell BDs? In that case I would think the BD sales depend on the people streaming), as far as being in significant competition with each other I agree, that's probably not the case. A lot of the same tactics used to get people to buy shows they watch on tv would still work on people who stream I think (specifically extras like event tickets).

Also, I did mention the sample size issue in an earlier post, so yeah I'm not very comfortable extrapolating too much from this. But it still seems disappointing...
Dec 15, 2013 7:38 PM

Mar 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I legitimately do not get why some people think Kyousougiga is gods gift to anime. especially after the two most recent episodes, but it does seem to deserve better than it's estimate based on the visual creativity and ambition it showed in it's first half alone.

I don't think it's God's gift to anime, but I really do like the show and think it deserves way better. It's very creative, very original, and has a kind of warm sweetness and youthful freshness that I really enjoy.

Farbeit for me to determine what other people should buy, but I do wish the buying viewer was less focused on buying the same kinds of things, over and over and over, and a little more willing to take a risk.
Let's go bowling.
Dec 15, 2013 8:21 PM

Oct 2007
StopDropAndBowl said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

I don't think it's God's gift to anime, but I really do like the show and think it deserves way better. It's very creative, very original, and has a kind of warm sweetness and youthful freshness that I really enjoy.

Farbeit for me to determine what other people should buy, but I do wish the buying viewer was less focused on buying the same kinds of things, over and over and over, and a little more willing to take a risk.

The buyer audience in Japan would never go for something like Kyousougiga really. It still baffles me as to how they even get made other than ambitious studios like Toei with a lot of money to burn and who dare to still dream bigger than just pandering to otaku with fanservice and idols or whatever else is the big selling trend these days. Not that those kinds of shows can't be good in their own right, but good luck selling an original idea that doesn't have loads of otaku cred behind it be it popular staffers, an already hit light novel series or something like Love Live or Arpegio of Blue Steel (I like both shows, but I have no pretentions about why they are big sellers) that pulls on already popular trends.

hpulley said:
^^^ That just doesn't happen with anime, like, ever... I still find it a bit odd that even if the first disc doesn't come out until after all the episodes have aired people in Japan still make up their mind well before the final episode. So it just isn't going to happen. That ship has sailed and you can't jump off the dock and swim to it, just no way.

I'm still not ready to write the show off just yet until I see how people react to the last episode. We won't have to wait long though, like I said we'll know within a week.
PeacingOutDec 15, 2013 8:45 PM
Dec 15, 2013 10:37 PM
May 2013
jmal said:
StopDropAndBowl said:

Anime is way too expensive to "take risks". Though I don't think it's a matter of risk-taking in tastes, so much as risk taking in purchases. If someone liked 15 shows in a season, they can still probably only afford one (we're talking anywhere from $300-1000 per show here so a lot of people can't afford any). So they may very well enjoy Kyousougiga, but if there's something else in a genre they tend to like more then, well, that gets the purchase.

It's important to separate "what people watch" and "what people like" from "what people buy". Each of those is a smaller subset of the one before, especially in the case of the last.

I feel like they could be more free to "take risks" if the economic model that they followed weren't so heavily dependent on disc sales for its success. But I suppose that is the way the market has evolved...

I actually think it could be interesting if anime became more focused on streaming shows (ONAs?) and then selling the BD/DVDs (with extras etc.) for those shows rather than going through the tv networks. Maybe if all the studios band together to create one website that streams every anime, and maybe they could then sell their discs directly through that website? I don't know if that's financially feasible, but based on an article I read it sounded like TV networks don't really want to spend much money on new anime anyways when they can create cheap talk shows or whatever, so why not circumvent tv networks altogether? Also, then you don't have to get stuck with a super late time slot right? Meh, there's probably some reason this hasn't happened yet right?
Dec 15, 2013 11:26 PM
Dec 2010
Hahalollawl said:
jmal said:
StopDropAndBowl said:

Anime is way too expensive to "take risks". Though I don't think it's a matter of risk-taking in tastes, so much as risk taking in purchases. If someone liked 15 shows in a season, they can still probably only afford one (we're talking anywhere from $300-1000 per show here so a lot of people can't afford any). So they may very well enjoy Kyousougiga, but if there's something else in a genre they tend to like more then, well, that gets the purchase.

It's important to separate "what people watch" and "what people like" from "what people buy". Each of those is a smaller subset of the one before, especially in the case of the last.

I feel like they could be more free to "take risks" if the economic model that they followed weren't so heavily dependent on disc sales for its success. But I suppose that is the way the market has evolved...

I actually think it could be interesting if anime became more focused on streaming shows (ONAs?) and then selling the BD/DVDs (with extras etc.) for those shows rather than going through the tv networks. Maybe if all the studios band together to create one website that streams every anime, and maybe they could then sell their discs directly through that website? I don't know if that's financially feasible, but based on an article I read it sounded like TV networks don't really want to spend much money on new anime anyways when they can create cheap talk shows or whatever, so why not circumvent tv networks altogether? Also, then you don't have to get stuck with a super late time slot right? Meh, there's probably some reason this hasn't happened yet right?

The economic model that the anime industry follows now isn't "heavily dependent" on disc sales, it's dependent on creating fandom that opens up countless merchandizing/mix media opportunities. And certain type of anime series doesn't have much potential in creating huge fandoms to be milked. Switching from disc to online isn't going to make much difference to that.
Dec 16, 2013 1:57 AM

Mar 2012
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-12-16/attack-on-titan-valvrave-themes-makes-oricon-top-100-of-2013

Can someone give me a clear info about this please?
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Dec 16, 2013 2:06 AM

Nov 2007
Oricon Daily All-Genre Top 30 DVD/Top 20 BD Rankings for Dec 9~15.

DVD
*17 *** *17 *24 *20 *18 *22 | -- | Tonari no Totoro
*** *** *** *** *** *26 *** | -- | Doraemon Nobita no Himitsu Dougu Museum Movie
*** *** *** **3 *14 *** *** | -- | Steins;Gate Movie
**7 *19 *19 *** *** *** *** | -- | Free!4
*** *30 *** *** *** *** *** | -- | Lupin III VS Detective Conan
*28 *** *** *** *** *** *** | -- | Detective Conan Movie 17

BD
*** *** *** **1 **2 **4 **4 | -- | Steins;Gate Movie Limited Edition
**4 *20 *14 *13 *** **9 **8 | -- | Mononoke Hime
*** *** *** *** *** *** *16 | -- | Eva 3.33
*** *** *** **4 *12 *14 *18 | -- | Steins;Gate Movie Regular Edition
**3 *19 *15 *** *** *19 *** | -- | Free!4
*** *14 *17 *** *18 *** *** | -- | KamiNomi 3
*** *** *** **7 *20 *** *** | -- | Galilei Donna 1
*** *** *10 *15 *** *** *** | -- | SekaTsuyo!1
*** *17 *** *** *** *** *** | -- | Genshiken 4
**6 *** *** *** *** *** *** | -- | Hataraku Maou-sama!6
**8 *** *** *** *** *** *** | -- | Shingeki 5
*10 *** *** *** *** *** *** | -- | SymphogearG 3
*12 *** *** *** *** *** *** | -- | NekoShiro 2
*18 *** *** *** *** *** *** | -- | UtaPri 2000% 6
*20 *** *** *** *** *** *** | -- | Detective Conan Movie 17
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Dec 16, 2013 7:32 AM

Sep 2013
Is the new naruto opening not included int Oricon chart or is it counted in next years chart?
It sold almost double the amount of snk's amount.
Dec 16, 2013 7:39 AM

Nov 2007
ichii_1 said:
Is the new naruto opening not included int Oricon chart or is it counted in next years chart?
It sold almost double the amount of snk's amount.

It is on the list at 14th:
http://www.oricon.co.jp/music/special/2013/musicrank1215/index01.html
Dec 16, 2013 8:28 AM
May 2013
If by using the phrase "heavily dependent" I implied that they were solely dependent on disc sales then I would like to take that comment back. I do understand that many members of production committees (e.g. the manga companies, merchandise, etc.) have different motives for participating in the creation of an anime, and can therefore profit from it in different ways.

But in the end, I do think that many (if not the vast majority of) production committees pay a lot of attention to disc sales. I think we can all agree that while poor disc sales do not necessarily indicate failure due to other potential revenue streams, excellent sales do typically indicate success (though the definition of excellent can vary based on the series). I get the impression that everyone on a production committee benefits if discs sell well (even if a member doesn't get a cut of the disc sales, I would think this would indicate popularity which could benefit other revenue streams right?), whereas I'm not so sure other revenue streams benefit all of the members in the same way.

Edit: Thanks for the link by the way. Very interesting.
HahalollawlDec 16, 2013 8:41 AM
Dec 16, 2013 9:02 AM
May 2013
jmal said:
Hahalollawl said:
I get the impression that everyone on a production committee benefits if discs sell well, whereas I'm not so sure other revenue streams benefit all of the members in the same way.

I'm not aware of any evidence that division of disc revenue is spread any more equitably among committee members than division of other revenue streams such as novels or games or figures or whatnot. Every production committee will draw up its own unique contracts among members so it's impossible to generalize of course. I can't say if you're right or wrong, because your guess is as good as mine here, but barring any evidence I'll assume all revenue streams are handled in roughly similar ways.

We tend to think of video discs as being special because 1. they're the thing we have the best, most complete data on and 2. they "feel" like the most direct manifestation of an anime in purchasable form. I mean, they are the show, while other items are "just related products". But that's just the bias of our perspective. To a business contract, it's not necessarily relevant.

To add to that, if you are an investor who has invested in the creation of something, it seems difficult to believe that you would accept not getting any percentage of the sales of the most direct physical manifestation of that thing (in this case, the discs). In other words, it seems difficult to believe that anyone who invested in the creation of an anime would get no benefit at all from the disc sales. While it's possible, I think it would be surprising.

And I didn't mean to suggest that everyone benefits equally, but rather that everyone who invests benefits. I guess it's kind of confusing but my use of "same way" is not intended to refer to equality, but rather benefiting all members in the
"same way" as disc sales. It seems more reasonable that certain members of a production committee would not benefit from other revenue streams (e.g. merchandise) particularly if they did not invest directly in its creation rather than not benefiting from something they did invest directly in (the show itself). This is speculative though, as we don't know for sure how the revenues are distributed. But it seems to make reasonable logical sense, not that everything is necessarily logical...
HahalollawlDec 16, 2013 9:08 AM
Dec 16, 2013 10:02 AM

Oct 2007
Hahalollawl said:
jmal said:
StopDropAndBowl said:

The economic model that the anime industry follows now isn't "heavily dependent" on disc sales, it's dependent on creating fandom that opens up countless merchandizing/mix media opportunities. And certain type of anime series doesn't have much potential in creating huge fandoms to be milked. Switching from disc to online isn't going to make much difference to that.

It feels like any other media industry business model only more niche and insular somehow.
Dec 16, 2013 7:04 PM

Nov 2011
NNB just peaked at 31#. Its looking good.

Dec 16, 2013 8:30 PM
Dec 2010
Hahalollawl said:
To add to that, if you are an investor who has invested in the creation of something, it seems difficult to believe that you would accept not getting any percentage of the sales of the most direct physical manifestation of that thing (in this case, the discs). In other words, it seems difficult to believe that anyone who invested in the creation of an anime would get no benefit at all from the disc sales. While it's possible, I think it would be surprising.

And I didn't mean to suggest that everyone benefits equally, but rather that everyone who invests benefits. I guess it's kind of confusing but my use of "same way" is not intended to refer to equality, but rather benefiting all members in the
"same way" as disc sales. It seems more reasonable that certain members of a production committee would not benefit from other revenue streams (e.g. merchandise) particularly if they did not invest directly in its creation rather than not benefiting from something they did invest directly in (the show itself). This is speculative though, as we don't know for sure how the revenues are distributed. But it seems to make reasonable logical sense, not that everything is necessarily logical...

The anime industry isn't that much different from the movie industry, all everyone cares about is a Haruhi/Bakemonogatari/SAO/Madoka/Attack on Titan hit which'll make everyone swim in so much money that all the money wasted on the other non-hits are insignificant. It's a long term thing, you invest in tens of series and much of the investments are going to not reap returns in the short term, but it doesn't matter if you have enough hits keeping you afloat. ASCII Mediaworks hoped for a Toradora level of hit when they funded Golden Time, but even if they didn't get one they had a huge hit this year in Hataraku Maō-sama, so they probably won't care too much about the investment.
Dec 16, 2013 8:45 PM

Oct 2007
rederoin said:

A show about cute girls doing cute things charting well?! Hold on there pardner! Stop the Presses cause we've clearly entered the Twilight Zone!
Dec 16, 2013 8:46 PM
May 2013
scytheavatar said:
Hahalollawl said:

The anime industry isn't that much different from the movie industry, all everyone cares about is a Haruhi/Bakemonogatari/SAO/Madoka/Attack on Titan hit which'll make everyone swim in so much money that all the money wasted on the other non-hits are insignificant. It's a long term thing, you invest in tens of series and much of the investments are going to not reap returns in the short term, but it doesn't matter if you have enough hits keeping you afloat. ASCII Mediaworks hoped for a Toradora level of hit when they funded Golden Time, but even if they didn't get one they had a huge hit this year in Hataraku Maō-sama, so they probably won't care too much about the investment.

I guess...but I hope it doesn't discourage them from making more series like Golden Time...I guess it was a risk making a series with characters that are older than high school age, and...well...I guess I would have liked to have seen that kind of risk taking rewarded.
Dec 16, 2013 8:58 PM

Oct 2007
Hahalollawl said:
scytheavatar said:
Hahalollawl said:

I guess...but I hope it doesn't discourage them from making more series like Golden Time...I guess it was a risk making a series with characters that are older than high school age, and...well...I guess I would have liked to have seen that kind of risk taking rewarded.

They still kind of act like High School age kids enough of the time that it still invokes that sort of feeling so unless people are basing things totally on pretense here (which is admittedly very possible with otaku) then I don't think that was the issue. I mean Tiger and Bunny got away with having a 30 something guy as it's lead and was a huge hit and while it had a lot of help from Fujoshi it kind of shows that the age thing isn't quite the issue it's sometimes made out to be.
Dec 16, 2013 9:34 PM
May 2013
jmal said:
scytheavatar said:
The anime industry isn't that much different from the movie industry, all everyone cares about is a Haruhi/Bakemonogatari/SAO/Madoka/Attack on Titan hit which'll make everyone swim in so much money that all the money wasted on the other non-hits are insignificant.

Mmm, I think this exaggerates the case too much. While major hits are important, and I've said as much before, and they can make up for a lot of less successful shows, it's not like they're "all everyone cares about" in the industry.

Especially if you're one of the many companies that's only involved in a couple productions in a year. There is a core of large companies that fund many many different shows in a year, but there's a long tail of smaller companies that are very unlikely to be involved in blockbusters in any given year and if they are, it'll probably be as a minor investor.

I mean, Earth Star Entertainment for example led the committee on four of their properties, none of which was a major hit: Mangirl!, Teekyuu season 2, Teekyuu season 3, Yama no Susume. The biggest hit there was Yama no Susume, which sold 4.2k in a one-shot release. Obviously ESE's business model doesn't involve any expectation of Madoka/Shingeki/Bake level sales. And this will be true for the majority of companies funding anime.

You could maybe argue that blockbusters drive a small handful of very large companies who handle the video distribution piece, such as Aniplex, Pony Canyon, and King Records but even then I'm hesitant to put it as unambiguously as you did. I think it's more complex than that, and multiple small investments that yield modest returns are as important as gambling big on a flagship title or crossing your fingers and hoping for a shock hit like Garupan.

Yeah I agree. I think "all everyone cares about" is an exaggeration as well. I'd like to make the case you make with perhaps a slightly different twist.

If all that mattered were the major hits, then I think you would ONLY have very large anime companies (e.g. Sunrise) because they would be the companies best equipped to absorb the losses of flops and continue to gamble on trying to make that next hit. Smaller companies would probably go bankrupt because they can't afford to take as many risks, so if they have a few flops in a row they would be in serious trouble. I think the reason that some of the smaller companies can stay in business is because modest successes do still make a difference.
Dec 16, 2013 9:48 PM

Oct 2007
Hahalollawl said:
jmal said:
scytheavatar said:
The anime industry isn't that much different from the movie industry, all everyone cares about is a Haruhi/Bakemonogatari/SAO/Madoka/Attack on Titan hit which'll make everyone swim in so much money that all the money wasted on the other non-hits are insignificant.

Mmm, I think this exaggerates the case too much. While major hits are important, and I've said as much before, and they can make up for a lot of less successful shows, it's not like they're "all everyone cares about" in the industry.

Especially if you're one of the many companies that's only involved in a couple productions in a year. There is a core of large companies that fund many many different shows in a year, but there's a long tail of smaller companies that are very unlikely to be involved in blockbusters in any given year and if they are, it'll probably be as a minor investor.

I mean, Earth Star Entertainment for example led the committee on four of their properties, none of which was a major hit: Mangirl!, Teekyuu season 2, Teekyuu season 3, Yama no Susume. The biggest hit there was Yama no Susume, which sold 4.2k in a one-shot release. Obviously ESE's business model doesn't involve any expectation of Madoka/Shingeki/Bake level sales. And this will be true for the majority of companies funding anime.

You could maybe argue that blockbusters drive a small handful of very large companies who handle the video distribution piece, such as Aniplex, Pony Canyon, and King Records but even then I'm hesitant to put it as unambiguously as you did. I think it's more complex than that, and multiple small investments that yield modest returns are as important as gambling big on a flagship title or crossing your fingers and hoping for a shock hit like Garupan.

Yeah I agree. I think "all everyone cares about" is an exaggeration as well. I'd like to make the case you make with perhaps a slightly different twist.

If all that mattered were the major hits, then I think you would ONLY have very large anime companies (e.g. Sunrise) because they would be the companies best equipped to absorb the losses of flops and continue to gamble on trying to make that next hit. Smaller companies would probably go bankrupt because they can't afford to take as many risks, so if they have a few flops in a row they would be in serious trouble. I think the reason that some of the smaller companies can stay in business is because modest successes do still make a difference.

A lot of shows are subsidized by producers like Aniplex as well as TV companies as well so if a show flops they are often more than equipped to take the hit and move on. Really the whole production committee model evolved out of necessity and seems to work well enough at keeping the smaller companies in business and generating content.
Dec 16, 2013 9:52 PM
May 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Hahalollawl said:
jmal said:
scytheavatar said:

A lot of shows are subsidized by producers like Aniplex as well as TV companies as well so if a show flops they are often more than equipped to take the hit and move on. Really the whole production committee model evolved out of necessity and seems to work well enough at keeping the smaller companies in business and generating content.

Yes, I realize that the production committee helps to mitigate the risk of losses. However, I still think that with the rarity of those really big hits, the smaller companies would still be at risk if only the big hits mattered, and they didn't get a big hit for an extended period of time.
Dec 17, 2013 5:43 AM

Nov 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:
rederoin said:

A show about cute girls doing cute things charting well?! Hold on there pardner! Stop the Presses cause we've clearly entered the Twilight Zone!

So thats why KKK only sold 500~ copies, and Yuyushiki only average'd 3k.

Or all those cute girl shows who flopped, its because they do so well!

Dec 17, 2013 6:31 AM
May 2013
rederoin said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
rederoin said:

And maybe half of those Yuyushiki discs were probably jmal...or people who saw that BUY YUYUSHIKI DISCS ALL DAY EVERY DAY or whatever that signature was lol.
Dec 17, 2013 8:02 AM

Nov 2011
jmal said:
-snip-

Back in late spring/early summer, I also looked at the sales of these kind of sales of the past 7.5 years(winter 2005 -Spring 2013).

I did exclude shorts and sequels. Although i'm not sure if all of those shows fit my own criteria.

The 4 10k+ sellers are(in order), K-on!, lucky star, Aria and Minami-ke.
K-on! sold 4x as much as S1 of Aria and Minami-ke. The 3th and 4th best selling CGDCT shows of the last 8 years.

Dec 17, 2013 10:05 AM

Oct 2007
rederoin said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
rederoin said:

I admittedly don't even know what KKK is, but that points to there probably just being a lot of low key SoL series I never knew about that under-performed. If those really are the numbers listed above though then wow that genre is a lot less successful than I ever would have thought. I guess it really just is stuff like K-On that makes it big. When people announce those kinds of shows successes they really damn well announce them so I always assumed the genre was a surefire thing.

Also we're disqualifying any show that has idols in it like Love Live and Idolmaster though so that cuts into the numbers as well.

As an aside observation I thought those kinds of people that buy 5 copies of the exact same disc to prove a point where only the stuff of myth and legend.
Dec 17, 2013 11:52 AM
May 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
rederoin said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
rederoin said:

I admittedly don't even know what KKK is, but that points to there probably just being a lot of low key SoL series I never knew about that under-performed. If those really are the numbers listed above though then wow that genre is a lot less successful than I ever would have thought. I guess it really just is stuff like K-On that makes it big. When people announce those kinds of shows successes they really damn well announce them so I always assumed the genre was a surefire thing.

Also we're disqualifying any show that has idols in it like Love Live and Idolmaster though so that cuts into the numbers as well.

As an aside observation I thought those kinds of people that buy 5 copies of the exact same disc to prove a point where only the stuff of myth and legend.

Well...if I had a ton of money lying around maybe I would buy multiple copies of something I liked (what if one breaks because I watched it too much lol). Between two Sunrise mecha fans, I don't know about you but if/when Sunrise makes the next big hit and if I was swimming in money I might be tempted to buy multiple copies. Maybe I just like Sunrise mecha shows more than you! Lol
Dec 18, 2013 9:53 AM

Oct 2007
Alright and now the final observation period begins I guess you could say. Needless to say KnK took a big hop off of the final episode and the first disc is enjoying it's highest ever ranking all as expected, but it's where everything ends up and where it stays in the next 2-5 days that will end up dictating everything. So far only the first 2 volumes seem to have moved though it's only been a couple hours since the episode aired and day has yet to break in Japan, but volume 1 with the event ticket should finally enter the overall top 100 at the very least, not that that particularly means much. Won't really be able to tell anything still for a while yet, but this is literally the shows last chance so.....
Dec 18, 2013 12:45 PM

Dec 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:
volume 1 with the event ticket should finally enter the overall top 100 at the very least

***,*92位/***,103位 ★ (**2,167 pt) [*,*10予約] 2014/01/08 境界の彼方 (1)
^ consider it done.

Yowamushi Pedal also having a (considerably stronger) last minute surge.

And non non biyori is the top thing coming out on christmas day. Which is quite an achievement considering that the competition includes monogatari, madoka, code geass, love live, macross and kurobas
kuuderes_shadowDec 18, 2013 12:56 PM
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Dec 18, 2013 1:00 PM

Oct 2007
kuuderes_shadow said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
volume 1 with the event ticket should finally enter the overall top 100 at the very least

***,*92位/***,103位 ★ (**2,167 pt) [*,*10予約] 2014/01/08 境界の彼方 (1)
^ consider it done.

Yowamushi Pedal also having a (considerably stronger) last minute surge.

And non non biyori is the top thing coming out on christmas day. Which is quite an achievement considering that the competition includes monogatari, madoka, code geass, love live, macross and kurobas

Yep here we go. Could have called that much. Terrible last episode, but it's having the effect I expected. It all depends on how long it lasts of course, but the show looks like it's going to have at least 3 volumes in the anime top 100 by the end of the day. Somehow I feel like we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg here.
PeacingOutDec 18, 2013 1:03 PM
Dec 18, 2013 1:06 PM

Oct 2007
jmal said:

All in all this looks pretty typical of a show that had a good reception later on, which convinced some buyers who were on the fence to go ahead and get it

Which is literally exactly how I told people it was going to end up playing out.
Dec 18, 2013 1:09 PM

Nov 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:
jmal said:

All in all this looks pretty typical of a show that had a good reception later on, which convinced some buyers who were on the fence to go ahead and get it

Which is literally exactly how I told people it was going to end up playing out.

No, you told us it would average above 5k.

Its 'final boost' isen't even as big as some other Autumn shows.

Dec 18, 2013 1:12 PM

Oct 2007
jmal said:
Your historical revisionism is amusing. As is your ability to leave out every imaginable piece of context that shows how utterly, utterly clueless and biased you were.

I said the show would get a massive boost on the last episode regardless of how it turned out and that's pretty much what we're seeing happen. Considering shows like Arpeggio though unless we really are just seeing the tip of the iceberg right now my bet is a lost cause. Don't forget it's only like 6 AM in Japan after all.

rederoin said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
jmal said:

Its 'final boost' isen't even as big as some other Autumn shows.

Lets wait till Friday as I said earlier before we start talking about where the peak of the 'final boost' is for all volumes. It's amazing that I have more faith in Kyoani to pull out a last minute miracle than some of it's biggest supporters here though.
PeacingOutDec 18, 2013 1:15 PM
Dec 18, 2013 1:15 PM

Sep 2012
Christmas day is quite a list too!
***,*28位/***,*28位 ★ (**4,741 pt) [*,129予約] 2013/12/25 のんのんびより 第1巻【イベントチケット優先販売申込券付き】 [Blu-ray] Non Non Biyori v1
*88位/*87位 ★ (**7,838 pt) [*,118予約] 13/12/25 ラブライブ! ~国立音ノ木坂学院案内~ [Blu-ray] LoveLive! Fandisc
***,110位/***,106位 ★ (**6,915 pt) [*,*25予約] 2013/12/25 IS<インフィニット・ストラトス>2 Vol.2 [Blu-ray] IS2 v2
***,216位/***,224位 ★ (**2,723 pt) [*,*75予約] 2013/12/25 機巧少女は傷つかない Vol.1【イベントチケット優先販売申込券付き】 [Blu-ray] Unbreakable Machine Doll v1
***,313位/***,323位 ★ (**1,090 pt) [*,235予約] 2013/12/25 てさぐれ! 部活もの Vol.1 [Blu-ray] Tesagure!
***,331位/***,326位 ★ (**2,582 pt) [*,*62予約] 2013/12/25 WHITE ALBUM2 1 [Blu-ray]
***,376位/***,359位 ★ (**1,155 pt) [*,*13予約] 2013/12/25 東京レイヴンズ 第1巻 (初回限定版)(書き下ろし文庫小説(東京レイヴンズ lost-girl with cat)+イベント応募券付き) [Blu-ray] Tokyo Ravens v1
***,493位/***,483位 ★ (**2,177 pt) [*,**3予約] 2013/12/25 革命機ヴァルヴレイヴ 2nd SEASON 1(完全生産限定版) [Blu-ray] Valvrave 2nd Season v1
***,582位/***,618位 ★ (***,856 pt) [*,*18予約] 2013/12/25 ぎんぎつね (一) (初回特典:ミニ絵馬&落合さより先生書き下ろしドラマCD&イベントチケット優先購入申込み券) [Blu-ray] Gingitsune v1
***,599位/***,581位 ○ (***,856 pt) [*,**9予約] 2013/12/25 のんのんびより 第1巻【イベントチケット優先販売申込券付き】 [DVD] Non Non Biyori v1
***,829位/***,909位 ★ (***,858 pt) [*,**3予約] 2013/12/25 ゴールデンタイム vol.1(初回限定生産版) [Blu-ray] Golden Time v1
***,935位/***,926位 ○ (**1,313 pt) [*,*10予約] 2013/12/25 機巧少女は傷つかない Vol.1【イベントチケット優先販売申込券付き】 [DVD] Unbreakable Machine Doll v1
***,982位/***,966位 ★ (**1,635 pt) [*,**5予約] 2013/12/25 フリージング ヴァイブレーション Vol.1 [Blu-ray] Freezing Vibration v1
**1,016位/***,995位 ○ (***,465 pt) [*,**1予約] 2013/12/25 東京レイヴンズ 第1巻 (初回限定版)(書き下ろし文庫小説(東京レイヴンズ lost-girl with cat)+イベント応募券付き) [DVD] Tokyo Ravens v1
**1,032位/**1,141位 ○ (**1,654 pt) [*,**1予約] 2013/12/25 IS<インフィニット・ストラトス>2 Vol.2 [DVD] IS2 v2
**1,035位/**1,019位 ★ (**1,704 pt) [*,*48予約] 2013/12/25 TVアニメーション「BLAZBLUE ALTER MEMORY」第1巻 (初回限定生産版) [Blu-ray]
**2,100位/**2,053位 ○ (***,634 pt) [*,**7予約] 2013/12/25 ガンダムビルドファイターズ 1 [DVD] Gundam Build Fighters v1
**2,944位/**2,912位 ○ (***,619 pt) [*,**6予約] 2013/12/25 ぎんぎつね (一) (初回特典:落合さより先生書き下ろしドラマCD&イベントチケット優先購入申込み券) [DVD] Gingitsune v1
**4,192位/**4,111位 ○ (***,556 pt) [*,**1予約] 2013/12/25 フリージング ヴァイブレーション Vol.1 [DVD] Freezing Vibration v1
**4,214位/**4,154位 ★ (***,424 pt) [*,**6予約] 2013/12/25 【Amazon.co.jp限定】東京レイヴンズ 第1巻 (初回限定版)(描き下ろしオリジナルデザインのブックカバー付き)[Blu-ray] Tokyo Ravens Amazon Ed v1
**5,295位/**5,309位 ★ (***,520 pt) [*,**3予約] 2013/12/25 サムライフラメンコ 1(完全生産限定版)(イベントチケット優先販売申込券封入) [Blu-ray] Samurai Flamenco v1
**5,511位/**5,457位 ○ (***,710 pt) [*,**2予約] 2013/12/25 革命機ヴァルヴレイヴ 2nd SEASON 1(完全生産限定版) [DVD] Valvrave 2nd Season v1
**9,642位/**9,275位 ○ (***,155 pt) [*,**0予約] 2013/12/25 【Amazon.co.jp限定】東京レイヴンズ 第1巻 (初回限定版)(描き下ろしオリジナルデザインのブックカバー付き)[DVD] Tokyo Ravens Amazon Ed v1
*10,062位/**9,967位 ○ (***,247 pt) [*,**7予約] 2013/12/25 てさぐれ! 部活もの Vol.1 [DVD] Tesagure! v1
*11,894位/*11,935位 ○ (***,364 pt) [*,**1予約] 2013/12/25 サムライフラメンコ 1(完全生産限定版)(イベントチケット優先販売申込券封入) [DVD] Samurai Flamenco v1
*27,114位/*27,086位 ○ (***,290 pt) [*,**0予約] 2013/12/25 ゴールデンタイム vol.1(初回限定生産版) [DVD] Golden Time v1
*78,570位/*78,503位 ○ (***,115 pt) [*,**0予約] 2013/12/25 TVアニメーション「BLAZBLUE ALTER MEMORY」第1巻 (通常版) [DVD]
Dec 18, 2013 1:18 PM

Oct 2007
jmal said:
rederoin said:

Which was after he finally gave up on predicting brimstone and hellfire if it were one of the top sellers of the season.

Clearly it has nothing to do with people, I dunno, just genuinely enjoying the show and its direction. Who the hell would base a purchasing decision off of that, am I right?

You would see it that way wouldn't you. I figured somebody was going to invoke that scenario when it ultimately started doing well and had a feeling it would be noted Kyoani diehard Jmal. Excuses excuses.....

Anyway what direction? As far as I could tell the show never really had one. ;)

On an unusually positive note though, one show I'm really pleasantly surprised to see is doing alright with pre orders is Yowamushi Pedal. Who would have ever expected a show with genuine heart that mainly focuses on male cyclists without any overt pandering to Fujoshi or the like (unless you count Imaizumi) to be charting in the top 100 right now. Of course it goes on sale in two days and had an event ticket, but still 5,000 BD+DVD points for a 39 episode sports anime, really pleasantly surprising.
PeacingOutDec 18, 2013 1:25 PM
Dec 18, 2013 1:51 PM

Oct 2007
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I said the show would get a massive boost on the last episode regardless of how it turned out and that's pretty much what we're seeing happen. Considering shows like Arpeggio though unless we really are just seeing the tip of the iceberg right now my bet is a lost cause. Don't forget it's only like 6 AM in Japan after all.
Barely scratching top100 is nowhere close to massive boost. GJ-bu was ~#100 for some weeks and didn't sell well.

KnK started doing better because it GOT better. Nothing more to that. It still can't be considered good overall and so will be the case with its sales. Nothing wrong with the world. Stop accusing others of making excuses (which aren't excuses because back then everyone said there is a possibility KnK will do better than predicted at time - however won't suddenly become top-seller which you claimed at first, or even get anywhere near TOP FOUR) when you're backpedaling every week. Also, I have yet to hear why are you behaving as if top100 anime was worth anything despite me asking you this question several times over past few months.

Kaioshin_Sama said:
Anime buyers aren't rational people though. We're talking about fanatics that will buy multiple of the same copy to support their favorite companies or genres.
Gotta make the most out of anecdotal evidence you heard last week, eh?
ProgeuszDec 18, 2013 2:03 PM
Dec 18, 2013 1:54 PM

Oct 2007
jmal said:
Yes I would assume that people buy entertainment because it entertains them. I must be fucking crazy, yo.

Also in before averaging like 4k is trumpeted as somehow validating nutjob conspiracy theories (that were revised almost every week) about an animation studio being immune to market forces and given special treatment. Yes it's as nonsensical as it sounds to any rational human being reading these words.

Welcome to the twilight zone, kids.

Anime buyers aren't rational people though. We're talking about fanatics that will buy multiple of the same copy to support their favorite companies or genres. If there's anything I've learned over the years purchasing patterns have less to do with general quality than supporting an idea or some otaku ideal/philosophy. It's the sad current state that TV anime finds itself in and why shows have to pander to a niche audience or risk financial failure.

Progeusz said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Barely scratching top100 is nowhere close to massive boost. GJ-bu was ~#100 for some weeks and didn't sell well.

KnK started doing better because it GOT better. Nothing more to that. It still can't be considered good overall and so will be the case with its sales. Nothing wrong with the world. Stop accusing others of making excuses (which aren't excuses because back then everyone said there is a possibility KnK will do better than predicted at time - however won't suddenly become top-seller which you claimed at first, or even get anywhere near TOP FOUR) when you're backpedaling every week. Also, I have yet to hear why are you behaving as if top100 anime was worth anything despite me asking you this question several times over past few months.

You know you can continually accuse me of backpedaling week after week and it'll probably work at convincing people since MAL thinks with it's gut and what it wants to believe and not what actually transpires, but until you realize that I've said countless times that the best selling thing is pretty well a lost cause (which people never will because it outright contradicts the narrative of me being a crazy flip flopper) it's not going to mean much in reality.

Fortunately for you reality means very little on the internet. Frankly I don't even know why you're making such a hard push at it, people are going to side against my unpopular positions anyway with or without your intervention cause I'm the bad guy. I have a very bitter outlook on things, I don't typically like what is popular or critically lauded by todays anime fandom. I'm a relic of a fan with an outdated but nonetheless passionate and strong belief on the way things ought to be that almost certainly looks crazy and foreign to most people here. It's not like I'm not aware of how I'm perceived or anything you know.

To answer your question though I was unaware of how stalker points were calculated more based on overall top 100 not anime top 100. It amazes me that being in the lower end of the anime top 100 is maybe only good enough for like 30-40 points a day at best.

Progeusz said:
Gotta make the most out of anecdotal evidence you heard last week, eh?

No I've been aware of this sort of thing for a while now. I've seen photo evidence of peoples rooms filled with multiple copies of the same disc for some shows and popular Visual Novels. I've heard stories of Gundam fanboys burning down their houses cause their mother threw out their model kits. I know how some people can get worked up into a fervor over some stuff that gets really popular. I'm sure these are only the most extreme of extreme cases, but those elements are definitely out there and at play in the scene.
PeacingOutDec 18, 2013 2:09 PM
Dec 18, 2013 2:00 PM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
hpulley said:
Christmas day is quite a list too!

I am going to be so displeased if evil holiday thresholds keep Non Non Biyori from ranking on DVD.

Top 200 DVD for the holidays pls, Oricon.
Sadly with all the Ghibli, Disney and Pixar moves that sell to a fair level for the holidays I'd say there is a chance it won't rank unless Japan has fewer last minute shopper than I recall.
Dec 18, 2013 2:37 PM

Oct 2007
jmal said:
Today I learned that buying multiple copies of a disc is normal and not just the extreme rare minority of cases.

Oh wait no, it is an extreme rare minority. Even someone who imports as much as I do has done it once ever (two of Yuyushiki, because it's phenomenal) for a full show, and will do it once more in Winter (or at least plan to, provided they don't mess the show up). Out of, uh... well over 100 series imported.

Yet another boring attempt to delegitimize people with different taste as being lesser fans. Who the hell buys a show, let alone multiple times, without enjoying it? Would that we all had the free cash lying around to flush down the toilet like that.

Edit: then while I'm typing you admit it's an extreme minority, ignoring the fact that that fundamentally undermines your whole argument about where the (pretty limited) sales in the second half of the series are coming from. An argument that would still be dumb anyway with the whole "oh you don't /actually/ enjoy it" implication. And even more fundamentally dumb because the show is still not on track for hit sales making the whole discussion moot. lol wow. I guess I'll just leave you to do all the work of unraveling your own arguments some more.

You can't seem to tell the difference between aside observations and core argument can you. You're just absolutely determined any way you possibly can to paint me as this hare-brained crazy person and you know what....I kind of love it to be honest. It beats the dull reality of my existence, that's for damn sure.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - 11 hours ago

12 by _ATG_ »»
2 hours ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 7 hours ago

7 by Yubisoft »»
3 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
11 hours ago

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
12 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

31 by animegamer245 »»
Yesterday, 1:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.