Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 7, 2013 5:26 AM

Sep 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
First gym.

"Ice beam"
"Solar Beam"

Oh, shit. This is difficult.
Nov 7, 2013 6:40 AM
Mar 2013
THEY FINALLY MEET!

Edit: Sorry, got a little carried away.
Nov 7, 2013 6:41 AM
Jun 2013
Reposted as original thread was removed
--------------------------------------------------
Yea best ending so far in the series! Can't wait for her to blush again, but in Ash's presence. Hopefully, Team Rocket will catch on to this and tease both of them.
Nov 7, 2013 7:22 AM
Jun 2011
this was a little too hard for pickachu since he alweys had hard time on the ice
Nov 7, 2013 9:29 AM

May 2013
Why did it have to end there. Wanted to know if he remembers her. Probably not though. Too bad he lost his first gym battle.
Nov 7, 2013 9:46 AM

Feb 2013
serena has some nice kneesocks
Nov 7, 2013 10:39 AM

Aug 2008
Serena is sweet.

Serena or Misty?
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Nov 7, 2013 10:41 AM
Mar 2009
I want to say Ash had a chance at winning, but.
Viola was 2 steps ahead of Ash in both skill and strat.
Ash may of had a chance if he used Fletchling before Pikachu or atleast taught it Aerial Ace before arriving at the Gym.

Ash should know by now that every Nurse Joy in the series all share one hive mind.

Heh, another crazy training regiment.

Everythings moving a tad fast as usual, I assumed he would just move on to the next town and train on the way like with Norman in Honen.

Can't wait til next episode.
Nov 7, 2013 1:31 PM

Jun 2013
I'm really curious of what Ash will say to her xD well overall the episode was good, and the battle was really smart. To be honest it would've been a little dissapointing if he'd one, but then again Pikachu was really week, that kinda dissapoints me more :/
Nov 7, 2013 1:42 PM

Dec 2012
Good Episode but Serena was almost ask him about if he remembers her but the healing was done. :(
During the gym battle pikachu should have done use his iron tail to break the ice.
I'm surprise that Ash depress that he lost for a gym. He usually accepts it and trains again.
LightBladeNova said:
It makes me sad to know that still hardly anyone knows what a visual novel is, even in the anime community.
Nov 7, 2013 3:25 PM

May 2013
Pros:
- OST is beautiful
- Fast pacing
- Intense battle strategy
- Epic way to lose
- Serena
- No Team Rocket
- Amusing character interactions (Eureka)

Cons:
- Fast pacing??
- If Eureka's "silvous plait" there is a running gag, it might grow stale. Maybe...

Damn. Has this guy changed over the years? The way he takes his loss here seems different than seasons past. Lol Ash gets beat up quite a lot more often this season. That's pretty swell to remind us of his selfless character. Quite a badass.
Nov 7, 2013 3:36 PM

Dec 2009
I decided to watch this and... wow, amazing episode. Really, really tense and exciting. The XY anime seems awesome so far.

And is it just me, or is Ash different? He feels more energetic and slightly... older (not only in terms of age). I don't remember seeing him so seriously down before (then again, I didn't watch DP and BW (but they seem to be cheery in nature).
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Nov 7, 2013 4:31 PM

Mar 2011
Woo serena <3
Ash must win the pokemon league nao that he haz serena XD

I'm pretty sure ash forgot her(poor serena if dat happens) >.>
Ash is good on ruining the mood ;c

Nov 7, 2013 4:35 PM
Jul 2013
Is it me but writers and committed the first error : make Ash lose his first gym battle in the new region that gave so much hype . It was noted that Ash did not have a strategy , I was very excited about the battle he thought a lot of muscle and no brains was best to win, should have analyzed the situation from the beginning and get First Fletchling but the moron wanted to start with Pikachu .

And for me , Froakie would have been a better choice than Fletchling , has speed, agility and strength , and maybe would have had a better chance of giving direct hits and a chance to win. While acknowledging that pokemon favored Viola , Surskit freezing the area with that and looked to win and pride of the gym, Vivillon who knows the field and has PSYCHIC ! The poor Fletchling could do nothing . And Pikachu effort that goes , fell very quickly .

Also the appearance of Serena in the gym, was surprising but Ash took it otherwise, but disappointment that will leave you for the next episode .
Nov 7, 2013 5:27 PM

Jul 2013
Nice episode. I was expecting that Ash would lose his first gym battle, but it was nice to see Serena catching up with him. Also, thank Arceus that we didn't see team rocket in this episode.

Sh!t goes down next week
Nov 7, 2013 5:49 PM

Sep 2012
Quite a delightful episode. :)
Nov 7, 2013 6:12 PM

Jan 2011
I'm surprised by how well XY has been so far. The battles so far seem far more interesting than previous generations. I only hope they can keep this quality till the end.
Nov 7, 2013 6:46 PM

Dec 2011
Aiyee. Serena finally said it! Looking forward to it.

I really hate the Pikachu levels down, but it is just the way it is.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 7, 2013 7:56 PM

Jun 2012
Ash loses his first gym battle..it begins...
Nov 7, 2013 8:04 PM
Oct 2009
Yeah Pikachu has become level down again. -__-
How can a electro pokemon lose againist water pokemon? .__.
Poor serena ash has surely forgetting her. >.<
Nov 7, 2013 9:25 PM
Sep 2013
Well that was a good start middle and ending to the episode....Well That's how ash goes..defeat makes him to hunt for getting stronger.....
They finally met..I saw blushes every time she tried to tell him about who she was .....At one point I thought she wasn't going tell anything about their meeting back in pallet town since she failed to do so....Which would make me angry...But i was relief that she finally was able to draw attention of ash....But she was looking cute back there...specially when she was giving the bag to ash.....I think she defeated other girls in the series in beauty
babymilo91 said:
Why did it have to end there. Wanted to know if he remembers her. Probably not though. Too bad he lost his first gym battle.

Isn't that what makes us keen to watch next episode so badly?
Tsukeru-kun said:

There are trainers who are stronger than ash ...you should know by now that disadvantages is not the only way to win a match...But they put up a good fight...
like said in the episode..ash was unprepared....Isn't that what makes us keen to watch next episode so badly?
Tsukeru-kun said:

I thought so too....But I was sure that ash doesn't remember her....but how can serena?..we will have to wait and see what happens in the next episode.

well that was a good episode .....defeat makes ash to hunt for getting stronger.....that's how ash is....But serena meeting ash was one of the attractions of the episode...
Serena was looking cute when she was giving the bag to ash.....I think she defeated other girls in the series...They yet to be united.....it continues to the next episode...

Mod edit.
Merged double posts
AversaNov 8, 2013 7:51 AM
Nov 7, 2013 9:47 PM
Mar 2011
i have to say ive been a long time misty and ash fan.but for the first time im curious where they will go with the new female lead.so far im a fan of serena.
Nov 7, 2013 10:32 PM

Sep 2012
No one else ship Serena with Citron? xD

I was imagining that if she travels with Ash and gang, Eureka will grow to like her and she might become a candidate for Citron's future partner, and thus, cue Eureka's crazy antics for shippy moments. Cute.

Okay, I might be insane after all. O_o
Nov 7, 2013 10:35 PM
Oct 2009
pantlessninja said:
i have to say ive been a long time misty and ash fan.but for the first time im curious where they will go with the new female lead.so far im a fan of serena.

Yeah but ash and misty has not really romance feelings they was only friends.
And that is with other female charackters too.
Nov 8, 2013 12:10 AM

Jul 2013
weiqifan said:

I was imagining that if she travels with Ash and gang, Eureka will grow to like her and she might become a candidate for Citron's future partner, and thus, cue Eureka's crazy antics for shippy moments. Cute.

You aren't the only one, lol. I'm just as insane as you are. I did consider it to be a possibility, but I'd much rather it be AshxSerena.

Anyway, the episode was done well, I also expected Ash to lose, but in this case I don't believe it to be because they reset the level of Ash's Pikachu, but because of his lack of strategy during battle, his eagerness to battle (can be both good and bad, I guess), and also because of the lack of battle experience that Ash and Fletchling have together. With more battle experience Fletchling's battle against Vivillion certainly wouldn't have finished so quickly.

And that special training, didn't expect them to use balloons for it, lol.
I'm also quite eager to see Ash's response to Serena's question, just as everyone else is, but as most of us are perhaps assuming, he'll probably say no.

I'm also looking forward to another exciting battle next episode!
SandyBoiNov 8, 2013 12:14 AM
Nov 8, 2013 12:34 AM
Sep 2013
pantlessninja said:

Same thought here....I hope serena doesn't end up like Misty..I would be very angry....
weiqifan said:

Some people also thinking about shipping CitronxSerena....Eureka might say it someday knowing how straight forward she is in this matter after seeing the EP5 ....But this pair I do not like..
Tsukeru-kun said:
pantlessninja said:

Yeah but ash and misty has not really romance feelings they was only friends.
And that is with other female charackters too.

Right you are..I think we have waited long enough ..decision needs to be taken about ash's girlfriend
SandyBoi said:
weiqifan said:

You aren't the only one, lol. I'm just as insane as you are. I did consider it to be a possibility, but I'd much rather it be AshxSerena.

Anyway, the episode was done well, I also expected Ash to lose, but in this case I don't believe it to be because they reset the level of Ash's Pikachu, but because of his lack of strategy during battle, his eagerness to battle (can be both good and bad, I guess), and also because of the lack of battle experience that Ash and Fletchling have together. With more battle experience Fletchling's battle against Vivillion certainly wouldn't have finished so quickly.

And that special training, didn't expect them to use balloons for it, lol.
I'm also quite eager to see Ash's response to Serena's question, just as everyone else is, but as most of us are perhaps assuming, he'll probably say no.

I'm also looking forward to another exciting battle next episode!

It's quite surprising....Ash has gone through somany hard batlles...the gym leader would have been surprised... Ash has experience but I think he needs some training to do with his new Kalos region pokemon..I am sure If it was Ash's old pokemon like Charizard..Things would have been different...And we are waiting for ash's answer in the next episode ....I can't wait!!!...

Mod edit.
Merged double posts
AversaNov 8, 2013 7:50 AM
Nov 8, 2013 12:58 AM

Jul 2010
Pikachu why you reset again......
Nov 8, 2013 2:28 AM

Jan 2013
why are you filthy fucks talking about ships
get out, you disgusting weeaboos
Please check my music out on SoundCloud! There's something for everyone.

Nov 8, 2013 12:59 PM

Jul 2008
Wow can you say intense, I really dont mind Pikachu losing here since he lost to an actual strategy used by a damn fine Gymleader.

Viola knows what she is doing and she knows its Hardcore, has been a while since I saw a trainer with her level of synergy in the anime.

About the question how an electric pokemon can lose to a water pokemon: strategy really, Pikachu got immobilized and couldn't use its strengths.

We are talking about a Gymleader here.
They have fought hundreds of battles against every type both super and not effective to their own pokemon.

Also the pacing really is ridiculous wonders if they will let up near the end or if we get multiple seasons like Best wishes.
PunkbeetleNov 8, 2013 1:05 PM
Spirits of the light! Wielders of the great power that shines far and wide upon the lands of our world... In my hour of need, grant me the light to banish evil!
Nov 8, 2013 1:33 PM

Dec 2008
This was fantastic. I kept going "VIOLA! DON'T YOU DARE LOSE! DON'T YOU DAREEEE LOSE!
Oh great, she's going to lose.
THAT'S RIGHT! SOLAR BEAM THAT FLETCHLING! SOLAR BEAAAAAM ITTT!!!"

Ahem.

Glad Ash lost. Would've been a crappy ep otherwise.
Fennekin is so cute <3333
Alexa's so awesome ;___; I love these sisters.

Though...I always found it weird that Gym Leaders of the same region don't seem to know each other.
Nov 8, 2013 1:48 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Arlia said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
First gym.

"Ice beam"
"Solar Beam"

Don't forget the other high powered moves
- Psychic and Razor Wind.

Well to start off this battle kind of reminded me of the battle with Sabrina. Here, Psychic proves lethal to Ash's Pokemon, and combined with that sticky attack a Psychic toward the net, and Ash's Pokemon will be sweeped with Solar Beam.

Poor Serena it seems that Ash completely forgot about her. I'm not sure if anyone caught on to this but if Ash knew Serena back in their childhood days surely he should have know about the Kalos region when he set sail, due to Professor Oak telling him about it. Even Ash's mother should have mentioned for him to stop by Serena's house to say hi. That's only if Serena when little lived in Kalos still.

Nov 8, 2013 8:02 PM
Oct 2013
Gym Battle:

No surprise that Ash lost, just like the 1st Gym in Sinnoh, cause he came in unprepared, while the Gym Leaders Roark and Viola all had a great strategy. Was not disappointed by his 1st Kalos Gym loss, but rather, disappointed by the fact that Pikachu's level was like reset to level 10 or something.. Technically, after so many regions from Kanto to Johto to Hoenn to Sinnoh to Unova, Ash's Pikachu should be at least >60. So how could his Pikachu be knocked out by a Signal Beam?

Serena:

The preview for Episode 6 seems to show Ash having some memory of Serena. We shall wait and see. Ash probably doesn't remember Serena cause he's too preoccupied with his gym stuff and all.. Plus the last time they met was like ages ago? That's why Ash's mother couldnt remember Serena was in Kalos.. Well really hope Ash has some memory of her though..

Bonnie and Clemont:

Interesting attempt by Bonnie to get Viola as a wife for Clemont. Viola even blushed at the mention of it lol. But am quite surprised yet again, by the fact that like any other region, the Gym Leaders don’t know each others’ presence.. And I doubt Viola would accept Clemont as her husband.. Too nerdy liao..

Overall, though Ash lost, it was a good episode. Ash and Serena met. The failure from his first Gym will hopefully spur him to become a better trainer throughout the region! As usual, am impressed by his selfless acts for his Pokemon, but I still wonder why he takes losses so harshly, when he usually doesn’t..
Nov 9, 2013 5:01 AM

May 2009
Tsukeru-kun said:

Happens all the time, even in competitive online.
Ontopic, the animations of the gym battle were awesome. Like, really, such smooth fighting requires alot of budget.
Nov 9, 2013 2:12 PM

Sep 2012
New running gag: Serena keeps trying to have Ash remember her when Ash really forgot.

I called it. It's very disappointing but that would happen between Ash and Serena ;-;
Nov 10, 2013 10:40 AM

Oct 2012
I'm conflicted in whether I should choose Misty or Serena >.<

Sigh, Ash lost in his first battle already...hopefully next episode will show him beating the gym leader.

Nov 11, 2013 12:26 PM

Jan 2013
ash always loses to his first gym leader. it is repetitive and dumb, if you ask me. then he trains to beat them, but winds up losing to the next gym leader. then he loses the league entirely. then another region opens up, so he takes a boat/plane/w/e over there and starts the vicious cycle over again. why cant they just let ash win for once...
Nov 12, 2013 10:47 PM

Jul 2008
yaminogame91 said:
ash always loses to his first gym leader. it is repetitive and dumb, if you ask me. then he trains to beat them, but winds up losing to the next gym leader. then he loses the league entirely. then another region opens up, so he takes a boat/plane/w/e over there and starts the vicious cycle over again. why cant they just let ash win for once...

He didn't lose to Falkner (Jotho), Roxanne(Hounn), or the first ''leader'' of the Orange islands, and during the Striaton match he only lost to the water gymleader.

Also Ash has won the Orange islands league (still one of the best 6 vs 6 battles of the anime, man that Dragonite was hax XD) and the Kantho battle frontier which counts as major tournaments/events and did well in smaller events, Tag team battle, egg races, etc.

And why they wont let him win an major league ? easy meta answer actually, to make him eligible to use for the next generation of pokemon trainers, let's face it most of us are relics who aren't in the aimed demography anymore, pokemon doesn't cater to our longings anymore and to reset a champion would be a bigger hassle then just a ''rookie'' trainer.

Though I have to say I REALLY want to see him enter a sort of champions league once where he is forced to use every pokemon he has caught.

Team Kanto FTW!! Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Charizard, Squirtle, Butterfree and Pidgeot!!
PunkbeetleNov 12, 2013 10:51 PM
Spirits of the light! Wielders of the great power that shines far and wide upon the lands of our world... In my hour of need, grant me the light to banish evil!
Nov 13, 2013 3:33 AM

Jan 2013
So Eureka is the new Brock and Citron is the Misty/Max/Croagunk. Fine by me.

By the way, this wasn't that huge of a reset for Pikachu, Viola seemed really strong and also had a good strategy. Moves like Signal Beam, Ice Beam, Solar Beam and Sticky Web are all great, and you wouldn't find them on a "weak" trainer's team. Still far better than losing against a completely new trainer's level 5 Snivy if you ask me.
And of course Ash has to lose at least 1-2 gym battles every region.

But damn, that cliffhanger...
Nov 13, 2013 3:51 AM

Jul 2011
After 20 years Ash hasn't learned yet how to use Pikachu well...
Nov 14, 2013 12:49 AM

Jul 2011
Aclos said:

By the way, this wasn't that huge of a reset for Pikachu, Viola seemed really strong and also had a good strategy. Moves like Signal Beam, Ice Beam, Solar Beam and Sticky Web are all great, and you wouldn't find them on a "weak" trainer's team. Still far better than losing against a completely new trainer's level 5 Snivy if you ask me.

Exactly. Also people seem to forget that Viola is easily years older than Ash, which adds to her experience as both a trainer and a gym leader. Ash may have traveled the lands and battled all sorts of things.. but so has she battle-wise, having challengers from all over the world.

I'm not 100% sure of this either, but I think this the first time Pikachu has battled on ice without anything sticking up from the ground, so it was new to Pikachu... not to mention that Iron Tail (although not very effective) smacked Surskit pretty good. :P

Ash is skilled, and he'll definitely prove it next episode.

But who cares about a gym badge anyways.. All we want to know is if Ash remembers Serena :P

You better not have forgotten her... Ash.. >:(
Nov 14, 2013 4:15 AM
Oct 2013
Aclos said:

Lol I agree with you.. Can't wait to see if Ash remembers Serena, the crux of the episode later
Nov 14, 2013 5:48 PM
Jan 2011
When Ash lost, I wasnt upset at all. Viola did not overpower him, rather she used tactics and set up moves to immobilize Ash's pokemon before striking with the Solarbeam. From the ice to the webs to everything that happened in this battle, Ash did not get overpowered by a lvl 5 Snivy. Rather, he was outsmarted and outmaneuvered by a gym leader, someone with arguably more experience than him and with a homefield advantage. This isn't your average Unova gym battle. This is something meaningful.

Also loving this Serena subplot. Whoever wrote this show freshened up the Childhood Friend anime trope in ways I never thought possible. One of my favorite female leads so far!
Jun 8, 2014 11:16 AM

Nov 2012
I love how even the other characters like Pansy are getting smart to the pattern of Ash losing a gym battle than bouncing back. XD
Nov 16, 2014 7:01 AM

Aug 2014
It was natural his lost. He wasn't ready for this type of battle specialty against ice and psych pokemons :/
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Dec 17, 2014 1:41 PM

Jul 2013
Awww the first gym and Ash lost!

I'm gonna guess Ash doesn't remember Serena because if he did he would have at least said "do I know you from somewhere?" before lol.
Nov 4, 2015 11:02 AM

Nov 2014
Kaengel said:
First gym.
"Ice beam"
"Solar Beam"
Exactly my thought when i saw the episode, lel.. not to mention that Vivillon is also capable to use Psychic :P but i don't have any problem since the moveset power aren't exactly the same level with the game..

Anyway, ash first lost in Kalos.. dunno why but i guess this is the worst start for Ash even compare to other region (maybe the same level with DP).. and i love that Viola win by strategic battle with using the web to trap fletching and using icebeam to create an ice battlefield, lel.. Can't wait to see how ash is going to beat her.. 5/5
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Aug 6, 2016 9:38 PM

Dec 2012
Citron getting a close look at Viola's oppai.

Ametama got moves like jagger.

Level 100 Pikachu loses to Level 13 Ametama.

Yayakoma got stuck on that jizz shot.

Satoshi loses his first gym battle.

I understand Yayakoma training to beat Gust, but Pikachu has damn near 20 years of experience on this.

The fated meeting. Serena meets Satoshi again. Will he remember her?

RobAug 6, 2016 9:54 PM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Aug 29, 2016 5:25 AM

Mar 2015
Wow that battle is awesome. But I sometimes wonder... how does one qualifies as a gym leader?

I mean seriously... most gym leaders should be a pokemon lover, which means they should at least have 6 pokemon at their hands...

Anyway, I wonder how Pikachu still loses on a gym battle.... a weak enemy like Surskit....

Sep 13, 2021 3:28 PM

Feb 2021
Was not expecting Ash to lose, but it was done well, glad to see Serena join the group!
Nov 10, 2021 11:55 AM

Dec 2007
serne finally caught them lol

though not look like this very much, viola had good strategy and good move set, i don't get why people complaining about ash being weak, he faced difficult challenges before.
what i don't like though is how desperate he was after the match. i mean, it's not first time you lose a gym badge lol
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 93 Discussion

ETX - Oct 27, 2015

27 by PrOxAnto »»
Mar 4, 7:48 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 87 Discussion

Aipom - Sep 26, 2015

12 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 20, 7:47 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 86 Discussion

SweetKiichigo - Sep 9, 2015

19 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 17, 8:33 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 78 Discussion

SweetKiichigo - Jul 8, 2015

9 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 7, 5:06 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 72 Discussion

210125 - May 14, 2015

16 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 6, 3:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.