Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Dec 30, 2013 2:06 AM

Aug 2013
If MAL were that affected by "fanboyism", wouldn't One Piece, Naruto, or Sword Art Online be in the top 10? Oh wait none of them are.

lol
Dec 30, 2013 2:09 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Kyuutoryuu said:
If MAL were that affected by "fanboyism", wouldn't One Piece, Naruto, or Sword Art Online be in the top 10? Oh wait none of them are.

lol
Given how ridiculously hard the 20% rule will hit, One Piece will with all likelyness be #1 the second it finishes airing

...if it ever does that is
Dec 30, 2013 2:11 AM

Dec 2012
geralt said:

What about the popularity poll arc? That was for me the peak of hilariousness in Gintama. Or even the two episodes in which

Episodes numbers NOW please.
Dec 30, 2013 2:11 AM
Oct 2013
BeyondNero said:
mbdsquad said:

It has been several hours ago. Now it isn't. But who cares anyway whether it's 1 or 2 or over 9000 it's still more than 9 star on weighted score.

MAL's score is shit, And should not be taken into account.

FACT: Every anime-related site who doesn't suit your taste is shit.

Let me rephrase it: Who cares? I enjoyed the show.

Kyuutoryuu said:

lol

Exactly.

HaXXspetten said:
Kyuutoryuu said:

lol
Given how ridiculously hard the 20% rule will hit, One Piece will with all likelyness be #1 the second it finishes airing

...if it ever does that is

Every anime website out there only represents a small fraction of the whole worldwide anime community.

Crap. I double posted.

Mod Edit: Double post merged.
ThangLongDec 30, 2013 8:15 AM
Dec 30, 2013 4:17 AM

Sep 2011
tsudecimo said:
geralt said:

What about the popularity poll arc? That was for me the peak of hilariousness in Gintama. Or even the two episodes in which

Character Popularity Poll Arc (Episodes 182-184)
Dec 30, 2013 4:31 AM

Apr 2013
tsudecimo said:
geralt said:

239-240
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Dec 30, 2013 4:48 AM

Nov 2012
trust me if people saw the bentendo episodes of gintama everyone would rank it at nr 1

gintama = best funny anime
Dec 30, 2013 4:55 AM

May 2012
This is just a fansite. Why do people complain? Just watch it first and experience it yourself, after that you have the right to judge whether it's just overrated or not.
Dec 30, 2013 5:24 AM

Nov 2013
I adore Gintama, though I agree that it has a slow start.

I also agree that Gintama, Gintama' and Gintama:Echousen could easily be combined, though it would have to be a subjective action on MAL's part, and would have to be replicated across many franchises.

There are some franchises with split seasons that I would prefer are kept seperate, and that's where the problem lies. How does MAL create a fair process which combines animes such as Gintama but not animes such as Clannad and Clannad After Story?
Dec 30, 2013 5:29 AM

Apr 2011
Radioskpup said:

I also agree that Gintama, Gintama' and Gintama:Echousen could easily be combined, though it would have to be a subjective action on MAL's part, and would have to be replicated across many franchises.

There are some franchises with split seasons that I would prefer are kept seperate, and that's where the problem lies. How does MAL create a fair process which combines animes such as Gintama but not animes such as Clannad and Clannad After Story?

Simple. If it's a direct sequel (or prequel), combine it. If it's a spin-off or stand-alone, don't.
Dec 30, 2013 5:43 AM

Nov 2013
yhunata said:
Radioskpup said:

Simple. If it's a direct sequel (or prequel), combine it. If it's a spin-off or stand-alone, don't.

But, Clannad:After Story is essentially a direct sequel to Clannad, but they (in my opinion) don't fit together.
Dec 30, 2013 5:45 AM

Oct 2012
now let's wait for the 4th season of gintama so we can have 5 gintama in top 10
Dec 30, 2013 6:00 AM

Aug 2012
But really, who cares for MAL's top 10? It sucks, just like people. If people really could rate something for real, Inferno Cop would be #1
Dec 30, 2013 6:28 AM

Nov 2012
lionheart04 said:
Not even surprised if that happens. Gintama already proved that it can make multiple episodes of equal value. The next season is already doomed to end up in the top 10.
Dec 30, 2013 9:09 AM

Dec 2012
Thread cleaned and merged.

Insults removed. Quotes of deleted posts removed. Spam comments removed. Many cosmetics issues fixed (please watch out for quote towers and double postings guys).

Please note that the topic about Gintama being #1 and why many seasons of the show are on top of the list is nothing new. It has been on almost every Gintama's sub-forum boards since the show released. Many threads about it were made on the Anime Discussion Board as well.

Here are some useful links:

Gintama's forum discussion: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?animeid=918
MAL's rankings Suggestion Thread: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=714593
Dec 30, 2013 9:18 AM

Oct 2012
bunny_lover said:
First, I proclaim that I have never watched Gintama, so I don't know what kind of a show it is. However, it seems a bit much that4 Gintama shows reside in MAL's top 7 anime shows. Smells like fanboyism to me.

Your opinion?
I see that explains naruto movies and bleach movies in top ten because if we talk about fanboys they have the largest............ wait....
Dec 30, 2013 9:31 AM

Aug 2011
I'm a fan of Gintama. But I'd say that Gintama is overscored.

Why?
There are two reasons for this anime gets overscored.

1. Because of scoring system of MAL.
You have to watch at least 1/5 of episodes to really counted your vote for calculation of scoring.
This is the biggest reason of why Gintama is being overscored.
Original Gintama series is watched by random anime fans, and they will drop if they didn't like the first 40 eps.
And most of people who bore to go over this line are give Shounen fanboy score which is 10.
My recommendation to staffs is please don't choose hard 1/5 eps. It is too much on anime which has 100+ eps.
You should choose hard 1/5 eps for animes which has 130- eps (130/5=26)
For anime which has higher than 130 eps should be used 26 as red line.
Yes, 26 ep is enough to decide should i watch it or not.

2. Because of fanboys
People who dropped Gintama most likely won't watch its sequels. So Only Gintama fans will watch them and vote it as 10, no matter how bad it was.
It is the biggest reason of why Gintama' and other sequels are overscored.
But it is the fanboy issue. Also it is not only Gintama problem, it still works on those anime which are released after originals.
Nothing to do with calculation. So I don't have any recommendation for this
But it is the REAL problem that staffs should look over it.

All Gintama except first series are overscored.

Sorry for my bad eng. But i think you guys can get its point.
bxyhxyhDec 30, 2013 10:09 AM
Sorry for my bad English.
Dec 30, 2013 9:34 AM

Sep 2011
Tyrel said:
tsudecimo said:
geralt said:

Character Popularity Poll Arc (Episodes 182-184)
geralt said:
tsudecimo said:
geralt said:

239-240
and i forgot how funny those 2 arcs as a whole were, though popularity arc was funnier since it was basically battle royale with the gintama cast, plus anything with this in it has to be gold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UobiSJTfZoI

i also forgot to mention the episode where gintoki and hijikata go to a funeral where only they could see the ghost of the dead guy, or taka-tin's episodes

taka-tin, never forget

bxyhxyh said:
this is all true for the most part
JizzyHitlerDec 30, 2013 9:40 AM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 30, 2013 9:47 AM

Nov 2010
yhunata said:
Radioskpup said:

MAL will never combine their episodes, so that Gintama is 256 episodes or whatever. All the seasons have different names in Japan(so even though they are sequels, they are different series) and people's lists would change too much(that's also a rule, they don't like it when your entries change too much(all of a sudden go back to your watching section)).

The best you can hope for is a more cosmetic change. Each series has it's own page, but on the top page it looks like they are combined. That way not just the series but the specials and movies could be combined into one.
Dec 30, 2013 11:41 AM
Mar 2013
gintama is refreshing, not boring, its simply epic , a real masterpice, unique cant find enought words to describe it, its not fanboy once you see it all and if you like it you cant stop likin it
Dec 30, 2013 5:21 PM

Aug 2012
Having a Top Anime page is just stupid anyway, mainly because OVAs and Movies can be there.

One Piece has more than 10 films, so....

#1 One Piece
#2 One Piece film
#3 ONe Piece film

and so on.
Jan 8, 2014 6:23 PM

Jan 2013
oh gintama is the best right now! the only good title of all those 200+ episodes anime.
especially one piece is shit. just end it already. it isn't going anywhere...

gintama is the best right now.
sobscribe to donek
Jan 8, 2014 6:27 PM

Feb 2010
TheNaturalPerm said:
oh gintama is the best right now! the only good title of all those 200+ episodes anime.

sobscribe to donek

stahp
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 8, 2014 7:50 PM

Sep 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
TheNaturalPerm said:

sobscribe to donek

stahp
i second this notion

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 8, 2014 7:59 PM

Apr 2010
As people have probably mentioned, there should probably be a feature where all parts of a single series are combined into one, and scored are averaged out for the ranking, but when you click on the series it opens up a kinda dropdown menu(like when you view the comments for a sub groups performance on an anime) and it shows each different season/anime for the series and its score blah blah blah. It's a fansite sure, but single series shouldn't be taking up all the higher rankings, even if the rankings are generally pretty poor and shouldn't be taken very seriously anyway. Also maybe have another ranking list where everything is separate. It'll never happen though, just like .5 scoring would never happen either even though it'd be great.
Jan 8, 2014 8:01 PM

Dec 2012
I think people shouldn't criticize it unless they've seen the show.

Dropped it? Well, too bad, maybe it gets better.
Jan 8, 2014 8:02 PM

Sep 2011
Hederick_ said:

you can criticize gintama if you drop it, that is if you drop it late enough into it that you gave it a fair chance

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jan 8, 2014 8:04 PM

Dec 2012
NotJizzyHitler said:
Hederick_ said:

you can criticize gintama if you drop it, that is if you drop it late enough into it that you gave it a fair chance

That make sense, but how much would that "enough" be?

If the first season (the one with the 200 eps) it's shit, then I have the right to criticize. I have it On-Hold from around episode 30~, and though it's entertaining at times, it won't hook me up.
Jan 8, 2014 8:06 PM

Sep 2011
Hederick_ said:
NotJizzyHitler said:
Hederick_ said:

If the first season (the one with the 200 eps) it's shit, then I have the right to criticize. I have it On-Hold from around episode 30~, and though it's entertaining at times, it won't hook me up.
well gintama has a infamously bad start, id say somewhere around the mid 35's if you just are not having even the remote amount of laughs by that point from any episode then you probably wont like anything afterwords even though the first 50 episodes aside form about 4 episodes are among the worst in the series

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jan 8, 2014 8:10 PM

Dec 2012
NotJizzyHitler said:
Hederick_ said:
NotJizzyHitler said:
Hederick_ said:

well gintama has a infamously bad start, id say somewhere around the mid 35's if you just are not having even the remote amount of laughs by that point from any episode then you probably wont like anything afterwords even though the first 50 episodes aside form about 4 episodes are among the worst in the series

Well, there's the problem, I've heard it gets better after 100 episodes, but I really don't know if I should risk since I might just lose my time.

Reminds me of friends rec'ing me One Piece which has 600 episodes and tell me it gets way better after 500.
Mar 11, 2015 4:38 PM

Mar 2015
Gintama fans and haters in this site is so fun to watch. You know, sorrachi (gintama author) only care about dvd and comic sell. Just remember this:

EPISODE 182 TITLE: "Popularity Polls Can Screw Themselves"
EPISODE 183 TITLE: "Popularity Polls Can Burn in Hell"
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 11, 2015 6:16 PM

Jul 2011
Unyilkdr said:
Gintama fans and haters in this site is so fun to watch. You know, sorrachi (gintama author) only care about dvd and comic sell. Just remember this:

EPISODE 182 TITLE: "Popularity Polls Can Screw Themselves"
EPISODE 183 TITLE: "Popularity Polls Can Burn in Hell"

Ok
Mar 11, 2015 6:22 PM

Aug 2014
Parody animes always do well.

I havent seen Gintama, but im sure its a fine anime.
Mar 11, 2015 7:18 PM
Dec 2013
very good question Gintama sucks ass I thought it was boring as fuck and not funny at all
there was no story to speak of etc.

And yet it has so many entries in the top 10...
its crazy
Mar 11, 2015 7:21 PM

Oct 2012
Journey_95 said:
very good question Gintama sucks ass I thought it was boring as fuck and not funny at all

its crazy
Just need to step your taste up I guess.
Mar 11, 2015 7:29 PM
Dec 2013
Feaor said:
Journey_95 said:

its crazy

lol thats just classic
my taste is fine Gintama is just overrated shit
Mar 11, 2015 7:30 PM

Jul 2011
Glad to know
Mar 11, 2015 7:38 PM

Nov 2010
Journey_95 said:
Feaor said:

lol thats just classic
Whatever you say boss.
Mar 11, 2015 7:44 PM
Sep 2014
Journey_95 said:
Feaor said:

lol thats just classic
Code Geass R2 as favorite? Meh, you can't say shit about Gintama.
Mar 11, 2015 7:49 PM

Oct 2012
I wasn't actually being serious.

But to be fair Gintama is inherently overrated due to the 1/5th rule and the fact that it has multiple sequels where pretty much only fans are going to continue at that point.
Mar 11, 2015 7:51 PM
Dec 2013
LucasRTS said:
Journey_95 said:

lol thats just classic

I can say whatever I want
if people think its funny then good for them but I think its unfunny and boring
thats my opinion but nope on MAL its always "you have shit taste"
Mar 11, 2015 7:51 PM
Sep 2014
Gintama 2011 is the best one in my opinion
Mar 11, 2015 8:13 PM

Feb 2013
I've seen like, two episodes of Gintama. It was funny, I guess, but nothing really superb. I think the reason for Gintama's high rankings is that it seems to have a die-hard fanbase that watches everything, and loves everything Gintama. The people less fond of it watch little, and thus their scores aren't really factored in.
Mar 11, 2015 8:19 PM

Jun 2013
Currently watching Gintama, I can see why people like it. For me, there are boring parts in some serious arcs (should stick with the comedy! imo) and it's sometimes annoying when Gintoki being preachy but it also has its moments. I lost my side a couple of times.

43211 said:
Parody animes always do well.

I havent seen Gintama, but im sure its a fine anime.

Such a rare positivity. It's usually the other way around.

lionheart04 said:

Also looking forward to the upcoming butthurt threads. Gunna be gud.
Mar 11, 2015 8:30 PM

Feb 2010
Journey_95 said:
LucasRTS said:

On MAL it's never 'I didn't like it' but always 'this sucks ass'.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 11, 2015 8:32 PM

Oct 2013
Gintama should get its own top list ranking, where it competes with itself. Everyone wins.
Mar 11, 2015 8:44 PM
Dec 2013
LucasRTS said:
Gintama 2011 is the best one in my opinion
I disagree, it had a few arcs that I really hated. I prefer Gintama', it got better from then on. Of course it is your opinion. :P

Also, I hope Gintama 2015 catches up with the manga. Looking at this arcs, http://www.yorozuyasoul.com/gintama/arcs , a bunch of them seem to be fucking hilarious. (make sure to click show unanimated manga arcs.)
Journey_95 said:
LucasRTS said:

But you do have shit taste!
Mar 11, 2015 9:51 PM

Sep 2011
Holy shit nostalgia, these types of threads used to show up all the fucking time. I guess they will make their cancerous welcomed return in april.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Mar 11, 2015 9:54 PM

Feb 2013
Chelizzle said:
Motherurck said:
I disagree, it had a few arcs that I really hated. I prefer Gintama', it got better from then on. Of course it is your opinion. :P

Gintama' = Gintama 2011.

I agree that Gintama is overrated on this site,due to the scoring system.But I think it's a either a big hit or miss,those who like it will eventually love it to death and those who don't will get annoyed by it's ranking or just ignore it ;)
I personaly enjoyed it and thought Gintama' was absolutely great.The combination of characters,humor and action was top notch.If one Gintama series deserves it entry,then it's this one imo.
at least one gintama is highly rated on every site
Mar 12, 2015 1:36 AM

Nov 2013
btw, how do other sites rate sequel anime? each has its own score, or average score, or other methods?

When I'm thinking about it, having 4 titles of the same franchise in top 10 is a little.. um.. not fair?
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama Episode 156 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

llamaben - May 7, 2009

117 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 26, 10:29 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Zerachroma - Jun 23, 2008

194 by Seraschi »»
Apr 25, 11:41 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

almozayaf - Jul 28, 2009

95 by SPG_Anima »»
Apr 21, 3:56 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Znote - Oct 3, 2009

107 by DaveyUwU »»
Apr 20, 6:31 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 113 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Randomnamechange - Apr 13, 2009

113 by DigiCat »»
Apr 16, 2:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.