Forum Settings
Forums

Black teen arrested for purchasing a 350$ belt.

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 28, 2013 3:42 AM

Oct 2012
Monad said:
Emm..yeah it is high, just because they overprice shit doesn't make it logical. Do you even know how much it costs them to make those $500 belts. Probably not even $50.
Yeah but do you know how much it takes for them to distribute it, export it, store it, sort it, and retail it? Obviously not $350 or close, but the cost of a product is not just the sum of its materials. The belt is made in Italy, by the way.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Oct 28, 2013 7:01 AM

Apr 2013
Araby said:
Noudouteki said:
Geez.

I'm Asian and I get profiled all the time whenever I enter a store and buy something expensive. Walk into a Louis Vuitton, a Gucci, a Prada store, or something else of the sort, especially on Rodeo Drive near Beverly Hills where it's ALL upscale brands, and just because you're young, people will begin to give you funny looks. Sometimes it ends right when you buy it, and sometimes it's disbelief when the security watches you leave with a shopping bag with their brand name on it, but this guy's just making a big deal of it. It's not a racial thing, it just so happened that the kid was African-American and that's why media dummies and prejudice fucks are always quick to jump the gun and call it as they see it; they're usually wrong.
I partially agree with you.

Young looking people are definitely profiled in expensive places and so are people who don't dress "rich." So, I agree with you that it's disingenuous to say, "this happened because he was black." However, my guess is that race was one of the contributing factors. I say that because it's difficult to imagine an otherwise similar white/asian teen receiving similar treatment. Sloppily dressed white/asian teens can still have rich parents, you know? That seems reasonable. Sloppily dressed black teens, though? There's no way.

I suppose you have a point there. Though we live in the society where a black man can become president. I'd like to think people have more sense than pulling aside a black teen and telling him "this belt is way above your social class".
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Oct 28, 2013 11:12 AM

Nov 2009
I think anyone who would pay $350 for a belt should be arrested. or shot
Oct 28, 2013 11:19 AM

Apr 2013
MidnightBlossom said:

I don't think I want to dig a grave for my brother yet. Or ever.
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Oct 28, 2013 2:03 PM

Mar 2012
Noudouteki said:
I suppose you have a point there. Though we live in the society where a black man can become president. I'd like to think people have more sense than pulling aside a black teen and telling him "this belt is way above your social class".
I can't remember who said this, but, "Obama is not the first black president, he's the first president who happens to be black." What that means is, although Obama is black, he hasn't done (and, arguably, can't do) much of anything to address issues of structural racism, because "white issues," dominate politics (because of who has the money). So, in regards to your second point, it would be naive to assume that people's behaviors have suddenly changed. The fundamental ways in which people subconsciously racially profile others have remained completely intact.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Oct 28, 2013 3:20 PM

Oct 2012
Noudouteki said:
Then have him cremated.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Oct 28, 2013 3:29 PM
May 2013
so, he got arrested for buying a ridiculously expensive belt... allbecause of the colour of his skin, that is not only rude barney's are going to loose customers
also the nypd need to sort themselves out
Oct 28, 2013 3:40 PM

Feb 2013
To pay that much for a belt is moronic. Only a total douche would pay that much so I couldn't care less what happens to him.

Still made me laugh though.
Oct 28, 2013 3:45 PM

Sep 2013
Barneys is a terrible store anyway, the embarrassment afterwards serves them right for trying to pull off that racist shit.
Though this did take place in NYC, so I'm not entirely too surprised if some are gonna act indifferent about it.
peeyaj said:
Fueille is a deconstruction of a decent human being.
Oct 28, 2013 7:46 PM

Jun 2008
Noudouteki said:
MidnightBlossom said:

Just shoot him in the leg, it will be a lifetime lesson.

elite-sama said:
Monad said:
Emm..yeah it is high, just because they overprice shit doesn't make it logical. Do you even know how much it costs them to make those $500 belts. Probably not even $50.
Yeah but do you know how much it takes for them to distribute it, export it, store it, sort it, and retail it? Obviously not $350 or close, but the cost of a product is not just the sum of its materials. The belt is made in Italy, by the way.

Export, store and distribute? Well i don't know. Why don't you ask the $20 belts.
Oct 28, 2013 10:00 PM

Nov 2012
Two words
Oct 29, 2013 12:36 AM

Nov 2011
Monad said:

elite-sama said:
Monad said:

Export, store and distribute? Well i don't know. Why don't you ask the $20 belts.

Its like you dont understand the concept of a luxury item....
:/
The Art of Eight
Oct 29, 2013 12:57 AM

Oct 2011
I love you you love me we are happy famiry
Oct 29, 2013 1:53 AM

Oct 2012
dankickyou said:
Monad said:

elite-sama said:
Monad said:

He also doesn't understand that different countries have different labor costs, the economy of scale, the costs that go into brand protection (e.g. preventing the grey-market), cost of design, import duty, cost of retail floor (which will be higher in a luxury store at a prime location than some warehouse department store), etc.

A belt that someone buys for $20 is not made out of real leather. It's probably some kind of vinyl over cardboard. If someone wants to pair that with his polyester shirt and look like an asshole, then I guess that's his choice.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Oct 29, 2013 3:04 AM

Jun 2008
dankickyou said:
Monad said:

elite-sama said:
Monad said:

Is because i do. They are items being sold over-expensive just so they can play the "luxurious" card.

elite-sama said:
dankickyou said:
Monad said:

elite-sama said:
Monad said:

He also doesn't understand that different countries have different labor costs, the economy of scale, the costs that go into brand protection (e.g. preventing the grey-market), cost of design, import duty, cost of retail floor (which will be higher in a luxury store at a prime location than some warehouse department store), etc.

A belt that someone buys for $20 is not made out of real leather. It's probably some kind of vinyl over cardboard. If someone wants to pair that with his polyester shirt and look like an asshole, then I guess that's his choice.

It's funny cause in that quote my post about $50 is still in there, so your $20 belt isn't real leather or labor cost is already answered but it seems you are a completely insane person to talk with. And lots of things you say are nothing but hot air of overcharging. Brand protection and retail floor is stupid shit to pay for and shouldn't matter the consumer that should only care about the value of what he is paying, that is what we call paying for hot air and being overcharged for nothing and why you shouldn't buy such things or bother with such stores.
The joke is that you people talk without concept of reality, that's why have no idea. All the bullshit you say are the book-smart bullshit type cause you have no idea of reality. Unlike you am quite older and have done dozens of jobs. I have seen such things with my own eyes, all the great cost factors you put are nothing in frond of the overcharging. I have seen products etc being made for one tenth on what they are sold all the time and no export or storage can excuse the cost at all. Helli i have seen the same damn product being sold as luxury item and cheap item at the same time. The way this people do things can raise quite a few hairs. You people live in a dreamland with no concept of how business is truly made.
Oct 29, 2013 3:16 AM

Oct 2012
Monad said:
It's funny cause in that quote my post about $50 is still in there, so your $20 belt isn't real leather or labor cost is already answered but it seems you are a completely insane person to talk with.
There's a difference -- a major fucking difference -- between the manufacturing costs of a belt being less than $50, and a $20 retail price belt. Your "completely insane" remark is non-sequitur.

Monad said:
And lots of things you say are nothing but hot air of overcharging. Brand protection and retail floor is stupid shit to pay for and shouldn't matter the consumer that should only care about the value of what he is paying, that is what we call paying for hot air and being overcharged for nothing and why you shouldn't buy such things or bother with such stores.
You said that they are "overpricing" shit. I'm showing you the difference between "overpricing" shit and running a business. Sorry you prefer to remain ignorant to how this world operates.

Monad said:
The joke is that you people talk without concept of reality, that's why have no idea. All the bullshit you say are the book-smart bullshit type cause you have no idea of reality.
I have no idea about reality because I talk with people about the concept of reality.... Great logic there, buddy.

Monad said:
Unlike you am quite older and have done dozens of jobs. I have seen such things with my own eyes, all the great cost factors you put are nothing in frond of the overcharging.
How old are you, because it sounds like you just got out of high school and now you're spouting your new found wisdom.

Monad said:
I have seen products etc being made for one tenth on what they are sold all the time and no export or storage can excuse the cost at all. Helli i have seen the same damn product being sold as luxury item and cheap item at the same time. The way this people do things can raise quite a few hairs. You people live in a dreamland with no concept of how business is truly made.
Right back at you. Just because you've seen some cheap rebranded items doesn't mean businesses don't have running costs.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Oct 29, 2013 3:29 AM

Feb 2013
I love people that think there is no discrimination/racism in the EU or the US.

They make me giggle a lot.
わたしはりんごがすきです. あなた は バカ です :3

Oct 30, 2013 10:58 PM

Oct 2013
Racism is funny.
Oct 30, 2013 11:08 PM

Apr 2013
vic_x51 said:
Racism is funny.

I don't think I'd count it as racism.

In this situation, I think it's more like, "do your parents give you the proper allowance to afford this belt?"
Oct 30, 2013 11:45 PM

Oct 2013
Just when I thought it was safe to come outside.
Oct 31, 2013 3:52 AM

Aug 2013
Racism is EVERYWHERE, I live in Australia and I still hear it between people I talk to, of course they would never admit it in public, but people have issues based on people's race, it actually enrages me sometimes to the point that I need to move away from them so I don't say something stupid.
Oct 31, 2013 5:45 AM

Oct 2013
Ferolex said:
Racism is EVERYWHERE, I live in Australia and I still hear it between people I talk to, of course they would never admit it in public, but people have issues based on people's race, it actually enrages me sometimes to the point that I need to move away from them so I don't say something stupid.

Good work speaking up there.

As someone from Asian descent who was born in Australia, I can definitely say that the level of racism is a massive step down from what it used to be. I've been spat on, had rocks thrown and been beaten up by people more than twice my age for it when I was younger. These days it's basically nothing comparable. Some kids graph a wall on some deli or something, talk some shit and look like idiots, whoop de fuckin doo dah.
Railroad switch
Oct 31, 2013 7:01 AM

Apr 2013
Fierce_Deity22 said:
Just when I thought it was safe to come outside.

It's always safe to come outside.

It's when you come inside to do your business, that's when you'll have problems.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.