Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 5, 2009 12:17 AM

Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Gah, the first 10 minutes were awesome! I wish the old HnK could look as pretty as this one. But then Kenshiro opened his mouth... and is not voiced by Akira Kamiya? NOOOOOO!!!!!!11one
I wonder why, though. Money surely couldn't have been an issue... maybe he was ill? Or just didn't want to/couldn't do it anymore? Or maybe they *gasp* just didn't ask him? Well whatever, I can probably deal with another voice.
I don't know karate, but I know karazy
Mar 31, 2010 1:31 PM

Jul 2009
It'd be so awesome if they re-did the first season like this. It's a shame that Ken had a new voice actor (the voice of Shinsuke Takagi, Mu La Flaga and Excalibur no less) and his character design was slightly odd, especially the nose. The story wasn't particularly profound and Sanga was predictably insane but the uncensored violence was amazing.
Zell182Apr 5, 2010 8:59 AM
Dec 5, 2011 2:34 PM

Dec 2010
the nose is fine to me.
May 8, 2014 5:11 AM

Sep 2013
Perhaps the most absurd choice for a Kenshiro voice actor ever, right next Katsyuki Konishi.
Jan 5, 2015 1:01 PM

Oct 2009
ballistique said:
Gah, the first 10 minutes were awesome! I wish the old HnK could look as pretty as this one.

Zell182 said:
It'd be so awesome if they re-did the first season like this.

I am okay with new one but I liked the old school style more
Besides, it did was remade, in the new movies

ballistique said:
But then Kenshiro opened his mouth... and is not voiced by Akira Kamiya? NOOOOOO!!!!!!11one
I wonder why, though.

My reaction exactly

ballistique said:
Money surely couldn't have been an issue...

How can you be so sure? Recognized voice actors get more salary. But then again, Koyasu Takehito isn't any less recognized (even more, in fact)

ballistique said:
maybe he was ill? Or just didn't want to/couldn't do it anymore? Or maybe they *gasp* just didn't ask him? Well whatever, I can probably deal with another voice.

It was the only series where Kenshiro was voiced by this this voice actor, he was voiced by Abe Hiroshi in all later movies and OVAs

Zell182 said:
It's a shame that Ken had a new voice actor (the voice of Shinsuke Takagi, Mu La Flaga and Excalibur no less)

Believe me, I know this voice actor very well. He's very productive and his voice is very easily recognizable, so I was somewhat disappointed when I realized he was a new replacement, since I am getting a little bit fed up with his voice

Zell182 said:
The story wasn't particularly profound and Sanga was predictably insane but the uncensored violence was amazing.

Sara shouldn't had played into Sanga's hands, she should had let that guy just bleed there to death

Mika_Inamori said:
the nose is fine to me.

Yeah

ArtemisFlow said:
Perhaps the most absurd choice for a Kenshiro voice actor ever, right next Katsyuki Konishi.

Not sure what about Katsyuki Konishi, but yeah
Apr 20, 2018 11:44 PM

Jul 2017
Wow man - super intense violence and dark stuff here! I was shocked when the kid got impaled and when the little girl was incinerated. Kenshiro was a badass and gave that white-haired guy what was coming to him, though. Also, I loved that scene the barbershop; it gave the episode some brevity for a second. Pretty cool musick too.
May 12, 2018 9:42 PM

Sep 2016
I'm not an expert on voice acting or seiyuus in general, but is a shame that the voice acting of Kenshiro felt a little bit off, not on a level of stopping your enjoyment, but I guess is gonna grow on me as I watch the other 2 Ovas.

The animations felt a little bit static but the artystle really makes out for it (Just like back in the 80s) and man, the violence and gore are just right, not to weaksauce like in Souten no Ken and not too edgy like Elfen Lied (To give an example)

A decent story and pretty much autoconclusive, I can't wait to watch the 2nd Ova to learn about our mysterious man.

If I were to rate this a single product is a 7/10, it has room for improvement and is totally worth watching for simple minded consumers to somewhat jaded anime elitists
Feb 4, 2019 7:57 AM
Oct 2018
Clearly the original Hokuto no Ken took alot (like, A LOT) of influence from the Mad Max films, but watching this series, there's a few scenes in Fury road where I feel like George Miller took some inspiration back from SHnK.

Like the sweeping shots across the Lastland Plaza, and especially the scene with the kid Emporer spraying water on his subjects looked a hell of a lot like the "Do not, my friends, become addicted to water. It will take hold of you and you will resent its absence" scene with Immortan Joe in Fury Road (and served the same purpose in the stories).

Dec 26, 2019 2:52 AM

Jul 2015
Damn seeing kenshiro destroy some savages really looks cool in modern animation

Some cruel moments like the little girl who died hopefully bista survives

Jan 5, 2020 1:16 PM

May 2018
I refuse to believe my eyes. Here comes deadly and inevitable atatatata, but Kenshiro (for unexplained reason) didn't touch a single pressure point so Sanga stayed alive and even managed to escape. Intolerable bullshit
Nemo_NiemandApr 24, 2020 5:20 PM

Apr 23, 2020 7:23 PM

Feb 2017

"A true ruler seizes both the body and the soul."

More topics from this board

Poll: » New Fist of the North Star Episode 3 Discussion

Zell182 - Mar 31, 2010

10 by eski514 »»
Apr 25, 2020 4:08 PM

Poll: » New Fist of the North Star Episode 2 Discussion

ballistique - Feb 5, 2009

6 by eski514 »»
Apr 24, 2020 7:06 PM

» Knowledge of original series needed??

Masamasa - Mar 22, 2008

2 by greenmarty »»
Feb 14, 2014 11:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.