Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 10, 2013 6:04 PM

Aug 2012
Let's say this is a better "How is the humanity doing" thread.

Let me show the two ways you can think about the world. MAL users, say which one you use and why. I am really curious.

Way of thinking I: The world sucks

There are many people starving to death, wars everywhere, death everywhere, murder everywhere. The humanity is doomed, the life is not good, it is just a weight we have to carry, a torture, which we will transfer to our child. Our child will be starving to death, they will miss water, and it doesn't matter which way you look, our future is sad.

Way of thinking II: It is great to be alive!

While there are many people starving, many people dying, and many murders, I am alive, as well as you, the person that is reading that. We should give our lives much more value than we give already, as being alive is great! I wish I live enough to see my children grow up at this beautiful world.

I personally use the second way of thinking, as it is the true one, which means I think the first way of thinking is completely wrong and misses all the point of being alive
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 10, 2013 6:10 PM
Jul 2018
You'd be wrong (as usual)

This is the true way to think about the world we live in as told by Carl Sagan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PN5JJDh78I
Sep 10, 2013 6:12 PM

Jan 2013
Can't help but think I. Won't be putting any child of mine through starvation since I don't plan on knocking up any girl I get involved with.
Sep 10, 2013 6:14 PM

Apr 2012
Where's the way of thinking IV where I just don't give a shit?
Sep 10, 2013 6:16 PM

Aug 2012
No gray zone?
Only hate or love?
Sep 10, 2013 6:18 PM

Aug 2013
Alright Lupaderp, since you're so curious about me and my lifestyle.
I live by hashtag yolo. Life should be positive.
Sep 10, 2013 6:22 PM

Sep 2013
Well, way of thinking #1 is a bit drastic.

But personally, here's what I think about life:
We are born to suffer. You have to enjoy the times we are not suffering.

Death is everywhere ? It's normal, death is part of life.
Humanity is doomed ? Who cares, you will be dead.
Future is sad ? Try to not think about it. You live in the present.
I'm alive ? Well, good. I guess I will die later.

Life has a lot of randomness in it. Just think about it. You could die right now from random things, like an heart attack. It's like if god would toss some dices everyday. The dices have faces like "cancer", "heart attack", "love", "happiness", etc.
Sep 10, 2013 6:23 PM

Jun 2007
Gloss said:

Technically, YOLO would mean living life carefully, cautiously, and by planning far ahead. I don't see why nobody understands that the whole U ONLY LIV 1CE XDDD BE DUMB WHO CARES DO WAT U WANT NU REGRITS :))) doesn't make sense with what it's saying.

If you only live once then you would want to make sure to live healthy, plan ahead for a successful life so you can enjoy your latter years as much as your youth, take care of your body, not do drugs/drink/smoke because these can lead to early death or health issues, and so on. The idea of YOLO and/or living like you could die at any moment lends to actually doing the opposite of what the yolo generation does, as 'you only live once' implies you only have this life to live - so don't go through it making mistakes and wasting it by doing stupid shit like getting high when you could be doing something better with the little time you have on this Earth.
Sep 10, 2013 6:23 PM

Nov 2008
Way of Thinking IV: A combination of both 1 and 2.

Sep 10, 2013 6:25 PM

Aug 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
Gloss said:

Technically, YOLO would mean living life carefully, cautiously, and by planning far ahead. I don't see why nobody understands that the whole U ONLY LIV 1CE XDDD BE DUMB WHO CARES DO WAT U WANT NU REGRITS :))) doesn't make sense with what it's saying.

If you only live once then you would want to make sure to live healthy, plan ahead for a successful life so you can enjoy your latter years as much as your youth, take care of your body, not do drugs/drink/smoke because these can lead to early death or health issues, and so on. The idea of YOLO and/or living like you could die at any moment lends to actually doing the opposite of what the yolo generation does.

LOL this is what I always say to the people who keep using YOLO as an excuse to do stupid dangerous stuff,
Sep 10, 2013 6:27 PM
Sep 10, 2013 6:28 PM
Jul 2013
Way 3: If I was gay I would think hip-hop hates me. Have you read the YouTube comments lately?
Everyone in the community is shit taste.
Sep 10, 2013 6:29 PM

Aug 2013
Hidden_Joker said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
Gloss said:

If you only live once then you would want to make sure to live healthy, plan ahead for a successful life so you can enjoy your latter years as much as your youth, take care of your body, not do drugs/drink/smoke because these can lead to early death or health issues, and so on. The idea of YOLO and/or living like you could die at any moment lends to actually doing the opposite of what the yolo generation does.

LOL this is what I always say to the people who keep using YOLO as an excuse to do stupid dangerous stuff,

Dangerous stuff? Anyway, I never said I wasn't going to do all that. I said life should be positive, correct? That's what I was implying. You honestly have one life to live, so why sulk around and be depressed. Get up and accomplish something.

SO..

<3 #yolo <3
Sep 10, 2013 6:30 PM

Jun 2013
All I care are shotas, If I have shotas I don't care about humanity.
Xinil said:
Thanks for joining MAL.

Sep 10, 2013 6:31 PM

Aug 2012
Maria_Sama said:

If Maria sama says so, it must be right.
Sep 10, 2013 6:46 PM

Sep 2012
That's a very simplistic thinking. I want to believe the average population are more complex than that.
Sep 10, 2013 6:47 PM

Nov 2012
Starchaser187 said:
You'd be wrong (as usual)

This is the true way to think about the world we live in as told by Carl Sagan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PN5JJDh78I

References Carl Sagan. +1000 awesomes to you sir. I have a new best friend for the day.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Sep 10, 2013 7:06 PM

Jul 2012
We are the world....
Sep 10, 2013 7:14 PM

Aug 2013
...I don't like either of those options.

Can the world just be here, and I in it? We've got good, we've got bad, but we're all here, so we'll deal with it.

I don't need to universally like or hate the world to find meaning.
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Sep 10, 2013 7:18 PM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
I'd rather say 2

since you're all gonna die anyway.. might as well be happy :P
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Sep 10, 2013 7:19 PM

Jul 2012
There's a middle ground. There aren't just two ways of looking at the world.
Sep 10, 2013 7:45 PM

Jul 2013
Life is for the living no matter how terrible. Death is for the dead no matter how many mourn them. The Astrological plane we live on will soon be shattered within the next 100 years and hopefully the people of that day make new advances towards helping humanity when their turn comes to run/inhabit the planet.
Dr. Sheldon Cooper " It is no way to make new humans. People coming out of people. Some kind of dirty magic show.
Sep 10, 2013 7:49 PM

Aug 2013
Meh...
YOKO ONO
Sep 11, 2013 7:19 AM

Jul 2013
Even before the dawn of man began, life already was doomed.
allow me to quote what
Stephen Hawking said on an interview:

"Our population and our use of the finite resources of planet Earth are growing exponentially, along with our technical ability to change the environment for good or ill. But our genetic code still carries the selfish and aggressive instincts that were of survival advantage in the past. It will be difficult enough to avoid disaster in the next hundred years, let alone the next thousand or million."

In the midst of adversary, we still yearn to survive,
both the hungry and the rich.Therefore,
I'd say, I'm a combination of the two choices.
Sep 11, 2013 7:24 AM

Feb 2010
Everyday I'm happy to be alive until I see the first new lupadim thread and suddenly running amok seems like a useful option for the better of mankind.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 11, 2013 2:21 PM

Jan 2013
Maria_Sama said:

If you live in japan you better start collecting as many shotas as you can.
Sep 11, 2013 3:54 PM

Sep 2012
Sep 11, 2013 3:57 PM

Jul 2013
LIFE SUCKS!!! HUMANITY IS DOOMED AND STUPID!!!!! I'M THE ONLY ONE WHOSE INTELLIGENT AND KNOWS HOW MUCH EVERYTHING SUCKS! YOU KNOW WHAT I'LL DO? INSTEAD OF TRYING TO FIX THINGS, I'LL WATCH SOUTH PARK!!!

-Average idiot who thinks they're the shit for thinking that because of a few incidents he's heard committed by 0.00001% of the population is terrible, everything sucks.
Pikachu wants some
Sep 11, 2013 4:10 PM

Oct 2012
i try to remain as neutral as possible
RRRRRRRRRR
Sep 11, 2013 4:12 PM

Apr 2013
Life is probably the biggest mystery ever, and we'll never find out why we exist. So might as well enjoy it with our allotted time.
an egomaniac and a fool

Sep 11, 2013 4:32 PM

Dec 2012
lupadim said:

There are many people starving to death, wars everywhere, death everywhere, murder everywhere. The humanity is doomed, the life is not good, it is just a weight we have to carry, a torture, which we will transfer to our child. Our child will be starving to death, they will miss water, and it doesn't matter which way you look, our future is sad.

Only logical way to think. Learn to accept reality. Option 2 seems like someone too happy about the world.
my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire
Sep 11, 2013 4:34 PM

Jul 2013
Only logical way of thinking: SMOKE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytiap4FCIPs
Dr. Sheldon Cooper " It is no way to make new humans. People coming out of people. Some kind of dirty magic show.
Sep 11, 2013 4:51 PM

Dec 2010
Option 3: The world can sometimes be a cruel place to live in, yes, but it also has its moments worth living for. Live with the fact that it's a neutral place.
Sep 11, 2013 4:58 PM

Jul 2013
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”
Sep 11, 2013 5:11 PM
Apr 2013
The first one mostly and a little bit of the second one.

Life is a burden to me because it's something that was forced on me and comes with many hardships. I can't help but think of the world realistically because there's no point in trying to lie to yourself, but to be honest, either way I don't really give a shit about the world. If it happens, it happens. Although I don't value my life, I want to live long enough to give it value. That means I at least value my enough for it to be worth fighting to change. Part of the reason I'm suffering is because I'm the way I am. I want to live long enough so that I can motivate myself to change the way my life has been so far. Maybe one day if I can succeed with that, I'll be able to change my perspective entirely to the second one a more optimistic yet realistic outlook.
Sep 11, 2013 5:13 PM

Jul 2013
FrostedSilver964 said:
The first one mostly and a little bit of the second one.

Life is a burden to me because it's something that was forced on me and comes with many hardships. I can't help but think of the world realistically because there's no point in trying to lie to yourself, but to be honest, either way I don't really give a shit about the world. If it happens, it happens. Although I don't value my life, I want to live long enough to give it value. That means I at least value my enough for it to be worth fighting to change. Part of the reason I'm suffering is because I'm the way I am. I want to live long enough so that I can motivate myself to change the way my life has been so far. Maybe one day if I can succeed with that, I'll be able to change my perspective entirely to the second one a more optimistic yet realistic outlook.

If you value yourself, you'll value the world around you. Even if you don't give a shit, that's still valuing it.
Pikachu wants some
Sep 12, 2013 3:31 AM
Apr 2013
HKA-4M-T7 said:

If you value yourself, you'll value the world around you. Even if you don't give a shit, that's still valuing it.

I'm not that good with words so some of it might be a bit jumbled up but I'll try to clear that up.

What I'm trying to say is that since we're stuck with who we are, I can't help but gamble on myself. Even if it'd mean deluding myself, it's the only way I can move forward. I'll give myself fake confidence until there's no longer a point in keeping it up, because I'll have found a reason to have real confidence. I don't like losing, especially to this world that I hate. I hate it because I have to be a part of it and yet I don't understand anything about it; it's all a mystery that I feel can never be solved. That's why I think if I can manage to change the way my life has been and shape it the way I want it, I'll no longer regret being a part of the world and will be able to go on without fathoming how the world works. If I ever start valuing the world, it'll probably be no earlier than that point.
Of course there's a chance things won't go how I plan. In which case, I'll just take the coward's way out, knowing that my effort was not enough.
Sep 12, 2013 7:37 AM

Jul 2013
would be nice to only have 2 ways to think of things like op
Sep 12, 2013 5:05 PM
Apr 2010
I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.
Sep 12, 2013 5:12 PM

Jul 2013
You forgot the most important way of thinking of the world.

http://www.hookedgamers.com/images/348/scarface_the_world_is_yours/reviews/header_92_scarface_the_world_is_yours.jpg
Pikachu wants some
Sep 12, 2013 10:02 PM

Jul 2012
monster7foot6 said:
lupadim said:

Only logical way to think. Learn to accept reality. Option 2 seems like someone too happy about the world.

Thinking the world is some amazing place is isn't right, and neither is thinking that the world is awful. There's good and bad, and one needs to learn to try and change the world for the better and enjoy the good.
Sep 12, 2013 10:12 PM

May 2012
Too simplistic and dramatic but if someone put a gun to my head and asked me which mindset I was closer to, it would be #1.
Sep 13, 2013 12:19 PM

Apr 2013
So basically you wanted to know if we think the glass is half empty or half full.
It's half empty, no matter which way you look at it.
Sep 13, 2013 12:34 PM
May 2012
-Sloth- said:
So basically you wanted to know if we think the glass is half empty or half full.
It's half empty, no matter which way you look at it.

>implying there's even a glass at all
"There is no more effective method of concealment than the broadest publicity."
"naw just be like "in facist america burger is you comrade""
"if maps are hard, suicide is impossible"
Sep 13, 2013 1:02 PM

Aug 2013
It depends what you focus on.
In this age the mass media want that peoples focus on bad things, so they show especially bad news.
It also for this that many peoples lives very bad the life.
Those who that think the life is beautiful in every aspect(also bad things), are those who that totally focus on the good aspects of the life. it's very difficult succeed(me included), but this way of thinking is more valuable for own life.
Sep 13, 2013 2:51 PM

Oct 2009
2 ways? Lupadim you can't... you can't mean these two can't be one, right? Existentialism builds upon these two in that happiness can be achieved through perspective. Absurdism furthers this study by saying life is worth it even if it's shit.

Sep 13, 2013 3:25 PM

Apr 2013
lucjan said:
Absurdism furthers this study by saying life is worth it even if it's shit.
No, absurdism does not say that.

Absurdism "says" that if you look for meaning in life you'll inevitably fail. Some absurdist say that you should look for meaning nonetheless.

It's called absurdism because the act of trying to find meaning in life is absurd or so it dictates I agree though.
Sep 13, 2013 5:09 PM

Mar 2012
Right now, I'm living by "Life is unfair but this is fucking ridiculous" quote.
There's no such thing as a painless lesson.
They just don't exist. Sacrifices are necessary.
You can't gain anything without losing something first.
Although if you can endure that pain and walk away from it,
you'll find that you now have a heart strong enough to overcome any obstacle.
Yeah, a heart made fullmetal.
- Fullmetal Alchemist
Sep 13, 2013 6:32 PM

Oct 2009
-Sloth- said:
lucjan said:
Absurdism furthers this study by saying life is worth it even if it's shit.
No, absurdism does not say that.

Absurdism "says" that if you look for meaning in life you'll inevitably fail. Some absurdist say that you should look for meaning nonetheless.

It's called absurdism because the act of trying to find meaning in life is absurd or so it dictates I agree though.

~facepalm~ Are you really so dense that you couldn't figure out what I was saying?

I never said Absurdism is the pursuit of meaning.

Absurdism is an extension off Existentialism where the pursuit of meaning is nill; we'll never find it. Instead we should appreciate what we have instead of lamenting what we don't have. Even if the world is indeed shit, and let's face it, it is, life is still worth it. Not that I agree but that's how Camus spun it.

Sep 13, 2013 7:54 PM

Dec 2012
I'd say 3rd option

Couldn't give a fuck nor do I care about any events unless they personally affect me.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What do you need cash for in your everyday life?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 21

37 by Voila_ »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 9 hours ago

26 by aikaflip »»
1 hour ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

317 by bevarnow »»
1 hour ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

15 by IpreferEcchi »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

40 by aikaflip »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.