Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Revolutionary Girl Utena : A symbolical masterpiece or a pretentious fairytale?

New
In which category does Revolutionary Girl Utena ultimately falls?
Sep 1, 2013 4:01 AM
Sep 2011
Having just finished R.G. Utena, I instantly felt the urge to discuss it with other MAL users. Please, vote, state and justify your opinion in which of these two categories you think this show belongs.
Feb 18, 2016 3:36 PM

Nov 2008
Most goddam pretentious show I've ever seen in my life, honestly. It embodies the very definition of the word.

Feb 18, 2016 3:37 PM

Aug 2014
Chiibi said:
Most goddam pretentious show I've ever seen in my life, honestly. It embodies the very definition of the word.

Mind explaining why you think so? Not that I disagree with you, but I didn't think it was that pretentious.
Feb 18, 2016 3:38 PM

Nov 2014
I don't know I did not watch it, but I highly doubt that it is as good everyone says it is.

Feb 18, 2016 3:43 PM

Nov 2008
Snappynator said:
Chiibi said:

Mind explaining why you think so? Not that I disagree with you, but I didn't think it was that pretentious.

The overload of symbolism and taboo relationships.

Pretentiousness is a subjective thing.....but I felt that the show was "trying too hard" and trying to act smarter and deeper than it actually was, like "look at me, I'm so amazing...look at my amazing symbolism.....ASK ME WHAT IT MEANS!!"

Feb 18, 2016 4:15 PM

Nov 2008
Penguindrum actually DOES have my interest. Looking forward to trying it soon....

Feb 18, 2016 4:23 PM

Jan 2016
I won't call it pretentious but it's just hard to wrap your head into.
Feb 18, 2016 4:39 PM

Dec 2015
Again with everyone calling things they don't like, "pretentious".
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 18, 2016 5:17 PM
Jul 2015
I'll let Toska handle this one. It may not be his favorite of Ikuhara's works but he still loves the show and is one of the most intelligent users here. I'm sure he can explain it.

After all, I just watch the shows. I don't think about them like he does.
Feb 18, 2016 5:50 PM

Nov 2008
KonaKoffee4 said:

Kona.............

There are a bunch of anime I hate but this is the only title I'm going to call "pretentious".

Why not call the other shows I hate "pretentious"?

Because they aren't. They are stupid and/or boring.

.............which is actually worse than being pretentious. lol

Feb 18, 2016 6:12 PM

Dec 2015
Chiibi said:
KonaKoffee4 said:

Kona.............

There are a bunch of anime I hate but this is the only title I'm going to call "pretentious".

Why not call the other shows I hate "pretentious"?

Because they aren't. They are stupid and/or boring.

.............which is actually worse than being pretentious. lol

Lol boring is worse than anything.

But how is something pretentious, smart, etc..? Like when people say that about anime I just don't get it. Sure there are things that try to appear deeper than they really are, but that is also subjective due to the meaning behind the symbolism and how the audience is affected by it.

I just feel the word pretentious, when discussing shows, doesn't really mean anything other than "I don't like the message of the show".

But in regards to utena, there are some people that were put off by the surrealism of it.
Although, I usually suggest mawaru penguindrum to those people, if they want to try out an anime that is "fun" but with more meaning.
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 18, 2016 6:39 PM
Jul 2018
Chiibi said:
Snappynator said:

The overload of symbolism and taboo relationships.

Pretentiousness is a subjective thing.....but I felt that the show was "trying too hard" and trying to act smarter and deeper than it actually was, like "look at me, I'm so amazing...look at my amazing symbolism.....ASK ME WHAT IT MEANS!!"
>look at my amazing symbolism...ASK ME WHAT IT MEANS
Regardless of whatever else you've said, I find this statement funny. Many people have asked him about the meaning behind various symbolism in Utena, but each time he nonchalantly claims he don't know the meaning himself or jokingly give vague responses. One time, he claimed that the Penguindrum is actually a washing machine, which was clearly nonsense. He intends for his audience to interpret his works themselves, to find meaning by watching and analyzing the show instead of having the answers given to them.

Another thing about Ikuhara is that he's widely noted to be a person that's really hard to work with because he wants almost absolute control over his own works and is a perfectionist, he puts in a lot of effort into his works and meticulously looks over even the most minuscule details. He's also stated that he's the sort of person who spends a lot of time thinking things over and over instead of awaiting a "spark of genius" to hit him when it comes to crafting his stories.

Now, let's go over what pretentious means. According to the Oxford dictionary, it means: trying to appear important, intelligent, etc. in order to impress other people; trying to be something that you are not, in order to impress. Assuming that Utena is pretentious, it would mean that Utena is of little substance intrinsically but uses superfluous stylistic choices and overabundance of meaningless symbolism to cover up for it. That would mean Ikuhara wants his audience to give most of their attention to the symbolism and be impressed by it, giving him unwarranted praise for his supposed intelligence.

However, Ikuhara never goes and try to flaunt his intellect; he often downplay his own works, and as aforementioned, would frequently dismiss questions regarding symbolism used in his works. He does, however, answer questions when it comes to the themes and messages he's trying to convey, for instance, about his usage of time that underlies other themes such as the passage from adolescence to adulthood. Instead of looking down on his fans, he actually expects his fans to be on his level, to be able to connect the dots in the puzzles he crafted and come to understand what he's trying to express, contrary to what a pretentious person would do. Instead of embellishing a shallow story with nonsensical symbolism, he personally worked to make sure that everything fits together to properly convey what he tries to say, and in the process, touched on very relevant themes that many people can relate to and thoroughly explored them. He does not wait around and say "oh! this idea just struck me from nowhere! I'm such a genius, lemme add it to my work!", he thought about the work at hand and actually puts effort into making sure everything connects, he does not throw whatever concepts he deemed to be intellectual into a hodgepodge of half-baked ideas and expect something worthy. He made sure his works are how he want them to be, not how he want others to see it as.

Utena's story is not shallow, it's an intricate web composed of numerous events and interactions between the characters, that even without the symbolism, can stand on its own because at its core, the themes are still present albeit not shining as brightly. The characters are not shallow either, they have 30+ episodes to develop through their interactions with other characters, through their ideals being challenged, and very subtle parts of their personalities are shown but never explicitly stated. They represent concepts, but are also fully fleshed-out characters. The stories and characters are well-done, the symbolism is what serves to connect them together.

Symbolism, like many other literary devices, are tools like any other, we do not judge the tools as the be all and end all of a given work, we judge the work by what and how effective it conveyed what the artist wanted to convey, and how the tools are used to achieve that end. I do not think Utena is pretentious, rather, I think it's a great work of art.
removed-userFeb 18, 2016 6:43 PM
Feb 18, 2016 7:06 PM
Jul 2015
^Bravo! One of the best explanations/summaries about what Utena stands for that I've read.

@Toska, just so you know I read it.
Jun 15, 2016 5:10 PM
Dec 2014
KonaKoffee said:

It's like a buzzword. Try to tell a story that requires using your brain and it's pretentious.

To be fair most people don't expect it from an anime so when someone who is used to something like "Full metal panic" watches the anime equivalent of an indie movie hilarity ensues.
Aug 6, 2016 2:59 PM

Sep 2012
I particularly hate pretentious stuff. That's why I fucking hate Evangelion.

Utena, however, is actually awesome. While it runs borderline pretentious and a few times can slip to the other side, it doesn't embody it at all.
Aug 27, 2016 8:12 PM

Oct 2008
Fenryr19 said:

Utena, however, is actually awesome. While it runs borderline pretentious and a few times can slip to the other side, it doesn't embody it at all.

Utena and NGE, Ikuhara and Hideaki, are two sides of the same coin. If NGE is pretentious, so is Utena.
(neither is pretentious)
Aug 29, 2016 12:17 PM
Jun 2011
http://i.imgur.com/6FLxeaO.gif

That said, I don't think the show with this many animal gags (or for that matter the show where the previews constantly promise more fanservice) are trying to act more important than they are.

Utena is basically one big practical joke on the audience, amplified by fleshed out characters, great directing, and an amazing soundtrack.
Sep 10, 2016 10:48 PM

Jul 2015
Fenryr19 said:

How in any way is Eva pretentious? And don't just say "muh religious symbolism" because that's not even the main focus of the show.
Sep 18, 2016 5:14 PM

May 2016
...It is a half-surrealist, half-metafictional fairy tale that makes some unique social commentary. The series uses too much symbolism for its own good, with several obvious allegories appearing over and over again, but one doesn't have to think too much in order to understand what the writers are trying to say and what comparisons to real life are being drawn. The narrative could be more compelling and I am sure that the show would have benefited from less phallic allegories, but the anime is unique and interesting enough to be worth a watch. It also states things that are rarely stated and tries to reveal some uncomfortable truths, but it never tries to sound smarter than it is.

The answer is neither. It isn't a masterpiece, it is just an anime that makes use of some unique tropes and aesthetics and doesn't have a pretentious bone in its body.
Lease_of_LifeSep 18, 2016 5:25 PM
"I will become his world and will make him my world" - You really should know who said this.

"Firing at unarmed citizens is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit simply cannot accomplish." - Oskar von Reuenthal

"No way Spirited Away is better than Akira. NO WAY." - Kanye West
Jan 17, 2017 7:08 AM

Apr 2015
Chiibi said:

THIS, THIS, THIS!!!! Honestly I found it weird when people insulting one of my favorite anime Kara no Kyoukai as pretentious for having much thematic expositions but Utena is 1000x more pretentious than even KnK and Evangelion combined.
YouJan 17, 2017 7:12 AM
Jan 17, 2017 7:23 AM

Jul 2015
@You Not really surprised you didn't like it considering you hate EoE. Your allergy to symbolism is showing, dood :p
Jan 17, 2017 7:39 AM

Apr 2015
Clebardman said:
@You Not really surprised you didn't like it considering you hate EoE. Your allergy to symbolism is showing, dood :p

Not really. I like KLK and for me KLK has symbolism that is tightly connected with the story, because the characters spoke about it (e.g on goku uniforms, life fibers, etc) while as for Utena, it's very loose or I might say that some of them is unrelated with the storyline and unnecessary because the overload amount of it, nor the characters spoke about it clearly once. While being so, while for Utena herself being reasonable enough, all other characters are being a super chuunibyou yet managed to achieved so much things, pretty much a wish fulfilment for chuunis? Also I used to think that Yuno Gasai is the worst depiction of yandere, but no, Nanami is worse. Wakaba on ep 19, I hate her just like Subaru on ep 18 and my hatred grew more on her on the episode when she tried to flirt with Akio. Another thing this anime makes me cringe is that there's at least one or more SoL comedic episode which isn't even funny in every arc (The first duel arc, Black Rose, and the Akio car) which is also, unnecessary. The way Akio recruit those who recruit their dueling partner such as Kozue to his side is unexplained enough too even after the recap episodes. I feel like this show throws symbolism for the sake of it and then tried to connect it with the story with a few seconds of taboo scenes but sorry, that doesn't work on me. People might use the word "surreal" or "symbolism" to defend this but I don't see how Utena effectively use the symbolism compared to others shows because it just too much and most of them isn't tightly connected enough or might be a miss.

As for the pacing, I found that Utena try to be a slow episodic story but it failed to show the details within each episode story that I think if I judge it episodically, it's rushed af, hence the character chemistry feels forced.
YouJan 17, 2017 7:43 AM
Jan 17, 2017 8:01 AM

Jul 2015
@You I think Utena and KlK are actually pretty similar, heh. KlK keeps paying hommages at many things, and Utena was the most prominent inspiration I could see with my limited knowledge. I can understand your arguments but KlK is guilty of all this to an extent too. Throwing sexual symbolism everywhere and tying it up with the story? Check. Filler comedic episode? Check. Super powerful chuuni ("confused") student council? Check. Some episodes are taken straight out of Utena (Ep 7 and 12 of KlK, respectively 19(?) and 12 in Utena).

Akio recruits students by giving 'em a ride, and I'm not talking about his car ;3

I understand why you might not like having a train pass by during a conversation on a balcony, but I find it weird to hate it so hard when you like KlK :x
Jan 17, 2017 9:05 PM

Apr 2015
Clebardman said:
@You I think Utena and KlK are actually pretty similar, heh. KlK keeps paying hommages at many things, and Utena was the most prominent inspiration I could see with my limited knowledge. I can understand your arguments but KlK is guilty of all this to an extent too. Throwing sexual symbolism everywhere and tying it up with the story? Check. Filler comedic episode? Check. Super powerful chuuni ("confused") student council? Check. Some episodes are taken straight out of Utena (Ep 7 and 12 of KlK, respectively 19(?) and 12 in Utena).

Akio recruits students by giving 'em a ride, and I'm not talking about his car ;3

I understand why you might not like having a train pass by during a conversation on a balcony, but I find it weird to hate it so hard when you like KlK :x

The problem is not tying up the symbolism with the story but how tight is thebsymbolism are tied. KLK symbolism are tightly connected thanks to the characters also spke about it while in Utena, none of the characters talk about that and just showing what Akio have done to Anthy in less than 5 seconds.
As for the comedic episode, Utena put it whenever the shows like it. Like say in the middle of the 2nd arc a.k.a Nanami's cowbell episode or between the 3rd during Nanami's egg. If it was put between 2nd and 3rd arc fight, I can took this show more seriously. Whlist in KLK, the "filler" episodes was never put in the middle of a series of fighting episodes. Like say when Ryuko has to fight the elite four, the show become serious all along because there's no "filler" episodes on it, so yeah, my issues is not whether the filler episodes exists or not but rather the timing of placing that episodes.
As for the SRC, it's indeed quite similar even the leader both have similar surname (Kiryuu and Kiryuuin) and I actually have no complaints on it but rather just wanted to point out.
I know, but just when he did give Kozue etc a ride? The story only tried to show a person get the ride but not the partner.
I was being thought that this anime is the most feminist anime but why what I got is the justification of all male (except Luka) is a playboy and female being easily attracted by them? Why besides Utena herself, none of the girls are being kickass compared to the boys? This is the main reason of me hating Wakaba the most.
But yeah that's just my opinion :P
Jan 18, 2017 3:46 AM

Jul 2015
You said:
I was being thought that this anime is the most feminist anime but why what I got is the justification of all male (except Luka) is a playboy and female being easily attracted by them? Why besides Utena herself, none of the girls are being kickass compared to the boys? This is the main reason of me hating Wakaba the most.

Well, the characters are all unsufferable, it's not just the males, Utena is seriously getting on my nerves with her holier-than-thou attitude. And Juri kicks ass ;3
Jan 18, 2017 3:50 AM
Jul 2018
It is complete shit and garbage for people who have no taste and need an excuse like 2deep4me symbolism.

I totally watched that series
Jan 18, 2017 3:56 AM

Mar 2010
You said:
The problem is not tying up the symbolism with the story but how tight is thebsymbolism are tied. KLK symbolism are tightly connected thanks to the characters also spke about it while in Utena, none of the characters talk about that and just showing what Akio have done to Anthy in less than 5 seconds.
http://imgur.com/a/550OK

Wait, so you want characters to directly describe symbols to the viewers? Otherwise, your criticism is nonsensical.
TonyThemeJan 18, 2017 4:04 AM
Jan 18, 2017 4:41 AM

Apr 2015
TonyTheme said:
You said:
http://imgur.com/a/550OK

Wait, so you want characters to directly describe symbols to the viewers? Otherwise, your criticism is nonsensical.

Not directly, hell I'll dislike KLK too if it needs to be described directly. But it can be shown by how the characters convo with other characters instead of like the pic you shown to me, putting an arrow on the symbolism. It's like the film trying to say "look, it's a symbolism!" in a forced way and by so, making the show tries to be smart. A truly smart show don't need to point the symbolism with hand like that, as how the hands aren't shown in other episodes. Why don't you just use it to all the epsiodes instead of just one? For me its looks like the director thought "OMG this symbol is difficult to be read than the others, but I need them, oh yeah let's use pointing hands to make the audience look at it! I bet they won't complain about it!" failure to show the symbolism naturally is a failure for me to make it not being pretentious.

Anyways regarding your point on criticism:
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1575213

I've come into conclusions that "I agree with the criticism"=valid criticism while "I don't agree with this criticism"=invalid criticism. Well since you like it then all criticism of hating it will be invalid. The same with the shows I like and you don't. This already happens with me and another MAL user called zal, we've debated for long about 2-3 of our favorite show that one of us have kind of different opinions but never come into conclusion.

Clebardman said:
You said:

Well, the characters are all unsufferable, it's not just the males, Utena is seriously getting on my nerves with her holier-than-thou attitude. And Juri kicks ass ;3

Utena is too lawful good yes, hence why my recommendation for Utena I've just created. (#DankRecs is my series of recs which both shows seems to have no similarities but I tryhard to found them.)
YouJan 18, 2017 4:48 AM
Jan 18, 2017 5:15 AM

Mar 2010
Yeah, you just dismantled your own point. Is it hard to get, random, or just too obvious? Regardless, you missed the point of it all, which I will explain further down. You're trying to use your supposition of the director's motive or mind state to criticize a show that you've shown a poor understanding of in the first place. Your criticism is nonsensical not because I disagree with it, but because it's illogical. You say there's no clear discussion of symbols or relation to characters (their arcs and whatever else), the themes, but there is. And it all ties together into this particular character that actually touches on many things central to the narrative, other characters, and it refers back to earlier parts of the show while clearly foreshadowing the very end of this arc .

The arrows pointing to a particular part of the screen is a quirk of a director that actually appears in other shows (I'll get back to you on that). The point really was to point out the artificiality of it (something Utena does frequently) and how he was manipulated. It was a giant ruse to get him interested into the research orchestrated by Akio very clearly. Context is key. It's also self-referential e.g. the butterfly morphing back was shown many times before when people are descending down the elevator. Those people were being manipulated by Mikage. Mikage is doing to others what was done to him and he doesn't even realize it. Even the memories we see in that episode are delusions (another reoccurring thing), he himself is the one who burned down the mansion and so on. Your critiques hold little weight.

You said:
This was entirely contradicted by what I just said and the images I posted. There's plenty of valid criticisms of Utena, but I've failed to see one by you.
TonyThemeJan 18, 2017 5:22 AM
Jan 18, 2017 6:39 AM

Apr 2015
TonyTheme said:
Yeah, you just dismantled your own point. Is it hard to get, random, or just too obvious? Regardless, you missed the point of it all, which I will explain further down. You're trying to use your supposition of the director's motive or mind state to criticize a show that you've shown a poor understanding of in the first place. Your criticism is nonsensical not because I disagree with it, but because it's illogical. You say there's no clear discussion of symbols or relation to characters (their arcs and whatever else), the themes, but there is. And it all ties together into this particular character that actually touches on many things central to the narrative, other characters, and it refers back to earlier parts of the show while clearly foreshadowing the very end of this arc .

The arrows pointing to a particular part of the screen is a quirk of a director that actually appears in other shows (I'll get back to you on that). The point really was to point out the artificiality of it (something Utena does frequently) and how he was manipulated. It was a giant ruse to get him interested into the research orchestrated by Akio very clearly. Context is key. It's also self-referential e.g. the butterfly morphing back was shown many times before when people are descending down the elevator. Those people were being manipulated by Mikage. Mikage is doing to others what was done to him and he doesn't even realize it. Even the memories we see in that episode are delusions (another reoccurring thing), he himself is the one who burned down the mansion and so on. Your critiques hold little weight.

You said:
This was entirely contradicted by what I just said and the images I posted. There's plenty of valid criticisms of Utena, but I've failed to see one by you.

Well firstly I kinda want to answer that the symbolism is definitely not the latter of what you're saying and the most accurate is probably the random one. I get that the whole thing are Akio's grand scheme to get his splitted power back and open the rose gate to save Anthy, and the difference of the butterfly and leaf picture shows the unreliable narrator, but is it necessary to point that out like this 👉? And from every review of this series, all of them always said that the show is complex and tackles out a lot of philosophical topic but I failed to see it as so. For me it's just about a hero who tried to save girls and get exhausted from it, then the girl sacrificing herself and due to not being able to endure it, she split herself into two persona and seal her suffering self inside the gate. The hero also suffers from this split and their powers are also being split too. Hence why Akio did a lot of research to retrieve Anthy, which ended up as the school, dueling system, and inviting Utena. But in the end, his plan failed but Utena insisted to save Anthy. She succeeded, at the cost of emm IYKWIM. That's all right? CMIIW. The incest etc isn't even the main theme for me, but instead it's the consequences of being a hero/prince who save people. How's that as deep as what people said?
May 25, 2017 12:11 PM

Dec 2016
Honestly, I understand why people don't like it (the repetitions, the useless arc in the middle of it, the 9845 metaphores...) and I agree that it's really pretentious........ but I can't help but love it
Apr 21, 2018 11:25 PM
Jan 2018
ExTemplar said:
I don't know I did not watch it, but I highly doubt that it is as good everyone says it is.
MechaKnightDarek said:
It is complete shit and garbage for people who have no taste and need an excuse like 2deep4me symbolism.

I totally watched that series

*GASP* the series has three layers of symbolism and is an actual masterpiece, mind explaining why it is shite?
Sep 16, 2018 11:54 AM

Feb 2010
This show is honestly the fucking best.
Sep 25, 2018 7:18 AM

May 2018
I wouldn’t call it a ‘masterpiece’, I’m not into that word, but Utena is pretty singular for me. Symbolism can’t really be categorised as something hard, for me, you either get it or you don’t is how it is. Meaning that, without thinking about it at all, the answer behind the symbolism seeps into you or it doesn’t. Well, it depends on the type of person you are, I guess and what experiences you’ve had, to understand the references. I don’t mean to sound harsh, but that’s how it is. I never thought of it as ‘pretentious’, though the word has different connotations for me than for most people, but no, Utena is just a singular allegory.
Oct 5, 2018 8:31 PM

Jun 2016
Utena's one of a kind
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 13, 2020 6:10 AM
Sep 2015
All I see in this thread is "if you liked NGE you'll like Utena too" "if you liked EoE you'll like Utena too" "if you liked KIK you'll like Utena too"

Like wtf?
Personally I enjoy Utena and hate (yes hate) Evangelion. It's a taste thing. Even if both anime are deep and full of symbolism, they're still not the same. I like magical stuff and fairytale themes. Mecha not so much.
It's called personal taste.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

53 by LLG »»
Apr 17, 1:18 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

59 by Barrou2a »»
Mar 30, 2:09 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - May 2, 2009

63 by zaverix »»
Mar 21, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 8, 2009

77 by Superkitty21 »»
Mar 19, 9:15 PM

» Looking for a good explanation video

LoveYourEyes - Mar 19

3 by 1coolgirl2b »»
Mar 19, 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.