Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 12, 2013 11:32 PM
Jul 2013
Like around 28 Episodes or more, and every character getting the same development as Otanashi and Iwasawa. Can you imagine? So much potential crumbled.
Aug 12, 2013 11:33 PM
Apr 2013
No.
Aug 12, 2013 11:34 PM

Nov 2010
No, I don't think so. From the beginning I never thought it could become a masterpiece.
Aug 12, 2013 11:35 PM

Dec 2011
It certainly would have helped immensely.
Ooo, what a lovely tea party.
Aug 12, 2013 11:37 PM

Mar 2012
Just wait for VN to complete bro.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Aug 12, 2013 11:42 PM
Jul 2013
NeoAnkara said:
Just wait for VN to complete bro.

And when that's gonna happen? The game has been in development hell for a long time, but if I waited forever, and Key pulled off an Clannad After Story for Angel Beats, then my life would be complete. They need to reach that height again, because Clannad wasn't that great when it released by itself, but it was cemented as a legend after AS released later.
Aug 12, 2013 11:45 PM

Oct 2011
It would have been a lot better with more episodes but it's fine as it is.
Aug 12, 2013 11:49 PM
Jul 2013
Iasuru said:
It would have been a lot better with more episodes but it's fine as it is.

It's actually not fine even in the slightest as it is. The anime is riddled with startling plot-holes like Yuri and Hinata's deaths not being confirmed in any way. Yuri particularly stands out in my opinion, as a character that could have defined characterization in an anime, but it was missed completely. Kanade however, was the least developed character in the entire series, and considering her significance, it is such a huge shame and intolerable. I really should lower my score of this series, but damn that thought of it's missed potential always makes me feel guilt.
Aug 13, 2013 3:56 PM

Sep 2012
Jun Maeda usually does a good job with character development, and with enough time and with more lenient pacing, I doubt he would leave out as much development as he was forced to do.
His routes in the visual novel are usually well written too for the most part, and Angel Beats wasn't going for a time reversal Key Magic ending, which would've made it even more appealing to the Key/Maeda skeptics.

Maeda says he fell into depression and even left Key for a while after writing Angel Beats and receiving poor feedback to it. I hope he puts his all into the visual novel and recovers a bit mentally, although he has still done a great job with the Rewrite soundtrack.

Angel Beats was aesthetically pleasing and the comedy was mostly fresh and enjoyable. The characters were mostly cookie cutter, but an embracing cast, which is something Maeda specializes in. I think it would've been much better anyway.

I also think that Angel Beats being "too short", despite being a negative part for the characterization, turned out to be a slight positive advantage given the story's ending. The time Onazaki and the SS guys and Kanade were in the Afterlife felt so short. I had the feeling like "I wish their fun could go on forever" and that played on my emotions a bit at the time.

Of course 2 cours would've been much better. Maeda generally doesn't write throwaway characters, aside from perhaps the occasional wingman character. (Kanon and Clannad wingmen are a bit lacking, Kanon moreso)
Maeda probably had more planned for the characters, but didn't cut them out despite having to underdevelop them.

Maeda never rode on the success of Angel Beats, despite how popular it was and how well it sold. He modestly addressed it and took its criticisms seriously, and wishes to improve it in the case of an Angel Beats VN.

Maeda fan here, so I'm pretty biased, but having read or seen all of his works, I don't find him to be the type of guy to write a purely lucrative and lazy story intentionally.

It would've been better, but I think unless it had 4 cours, or something the length of Key's VN or adaptations, it wouldn't be on the level of Clannad or Little Busters (VN). I don't know if he was aiming for something masterpiece-level. I think Refrain was the closest thing to a masterpiece he has made, but most of his stuff feels like genuine relatable and fun slice of life to me, and his trademark comedy->drama would've been immensely better if it was longer.
Aug 13, 2013 3:58 PM

Nov 2012
Last two episodes were a bit meh for me. Graduating and disappearing really was not my style of finishing a anime.
Aug 13, 2013 4:11 PM

May 2013
If they actually did something good with it, maybe.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Aug 13, 2013 4:13 PM
Jul 2013
Diran-kun said:

It had everything going for it. An amazing soundtrack, mindblowing visuals, great and unique setting, a cast of likable characters.

Where it went so wrong...I still wonder if they can pull an After Story for Angel Beats! someday. Likely?
Aug 13, 2013 4:15 PM

May 2013
DramaEnthusiast said:
Diran-kun said:

It had everything going for it. An amazing soundtrack, mindblowing visuals, great and unique setting, a cast of likable characters.

Where it went so wrong...I still wonder if they can pull an After Story for Angel Beats! someday. Likely?
The only thing that was wrong was the fact that it was too short. Other than that, it was brilliant. It's a shame. Wasted potential.

I'm still irritated after seeing Another Epilogue with us getting a possible hint for a continuation which probably won't happen.

Likely? Not very. Would I watch? Yes.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Aug 13, 2013 4:16 PM

Dec 2012
Pull an after story? do you want them to make it worse?!
Aug 13, 2013 4:18 PM
Jul 2013
Diran-kun said:
DramaEnthusiast said:
Diran-kun said:

The only thing that was wrong was the fact that it was too short. Other than that, it was brilliant. It's a shame. Wasted potential.

I'm still irritated after seeing Another Epilogue with us getting a possible hint for a continuation which probably won't happen.

There is a VN coming out for Angel Beats, and a manga with Hinata as the protagonist is still active. And you never know, because look at Clannad. The first Clannad was just an ok to eh Harem Anime, but After Story would tie into it a few years later, and it is now regarded as one of the best anime of all time.
Aug 13, 2013 4:19 PM

May 2013
tsudecimo said:
It would only get better. With the massive fanbase that Angel Beats! has, it would be a HUGE success.

DramaEnthusiast said:
Diran-kun said:
DramaEnthusiast said:
Diran-kun said:

There is a VN coming out for Angel Beats, and a manga with Hinata as the protagonist is still active. And you never know, because look at Clannad. The first Clannad was just an ok to eh Harem Anime, but After Story would tie into it a few years later, and it is now regarded as one of the best anime of all time.
I guess so. They'll probably do something after the VN. I won't be playing it, though. Clannad is indeed one of the best. Hopefully they can do something great with Angel Beats!.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Aug 13, 2013 4:25 PM
Jul 2013
Diran-kun said:
tsudecimo said:
It would only get better. With the massive fanbase that Angel Beats! has, it would be a HUGE success.

DramaEnthusiast said:
Diran-kun said:
DramaEnthusiast said:
Diran-kun said:

I guess so. They'll probably do something after the VN. I won't be playing it, though. Clannad is indeed one of the best. Hopefully they can do something great with Angel Beats!.

I believe Angel Beats! is slightly more, if not as popular as Clannad, so it is a great source of income for Key. They really need to kick it up as well, because after their Holy Trinity, they haven't done much.
Aug 13, 2013 4:28 PM
Jul 2012
Um, no if the characters does a better job of their personalities or just all of it then it will be better.
Aug 13, 2013 4:30 PM

May 2013

Angel Beats! has a massive fanbase around Youtube. It's unreal.

Although I prefer Clannad, Angel Beats! could very well be a masterpiece.

I'm more interested in a before or after story, though.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Aug 13, 2013 4:32 PM
Jul 2013
Diran-kun said:

Angel Beats! has a massive fanbase around Youtube. It's unreal.

Although I prefer Clannad, Angel Beats! could very well be a masterpiece.

I'm more interested in a before or after story, though.

I still feel like they could've made Yuri one of the best female leads in an anime if they explored her life after her tragedy. Although that might be a little bit too depressing, would you have not liked to see it?
Aug 13, 2013 4:34 PM

May 2013
Possibly. I always preferred the dub for Angel Beats! and Clannad. Mainly because I like the actors.

This is also pretty interesting. I want Clannad to pass Steins;Gate in the rankings.

EDIT: Hang on. They both have the same rating (9.16) but more people have given Clannad a 10.

Shouldn't that put it in front?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Aug 13, 2013 4:37 PM
Jul 2013
Diran-kun said:
Possibly. I always preferred the dub for Angel Beats! and Clannad. Mainly because I like the actors.

This is also pretty interesting. I want Clannad to pass Steins;Gate in the rankings.

Diran-kun said:

EDIT: Hang on. They both have the same rating (9.16) but more people have given Clannad a 10.

Shouldn't that put it in front?

Wow. I guess people really REALLY like Clannad lol. That 10/10 radar is skyrocketing.
Aug 13, 2013 4:38 PM

Nov 2011
No.
I luv u
Aug 13, 2013 4:40 PM

Apr 2011
No, all key stuff is average at best. More time to develop characters(AKA try to make you feel bad for them as much as humanly possible) would not improve the show. The concept was interesting, and probably could have been done a lot better by a different writer/studio.
Aug 13, 2013 4:42 PM

Oct 2012
Can't wait for the VN.
Aug 13, 2013 4:42 PM
Mar 2013
If they took the time to develop EVERY character individually the stories behind their deaths would lose the emotional impact.
It had a good premise but wasn't executed that well.
Aug 13, 2013 4:44 PM
Jul 2013
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
No, all key stuff is average at best. More time to develop characters(AKA try to make you feel bad for them as much as humanly possible) would not improve the show. The concept was interesting, and probably could have been done a lot better by a different writer/studio.

Key works are not average. At least in the line of Air (Movie), Clannad and AS, and Kanon 2006. Those are three of the best anime ever made according to the public.
Aug 13, 2013 4:46 PM

Nov 2011
DramaEnthusiast said:
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:

Key works are not average. At least in the line of Air (Movie), Clannad and AS, and Kanon 2006. Those are three of the best anime ever made according to the public.

Wtf?
I luv u
Aug 13, 2013 4:48 PM
Jul 2013
Jaguer91 said:
DramaEnthusiast said:
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:

Wtf?

Air's first adaption was awful, but they made an incredible movie and all was forgiven.
Kanon's first adapation was awful, but they rebooted it, and all was forgiven.
Aug 13, 2013 4:54 PM
Mar 2013
DramaEnthusiast said:
Jaguer91 said:
DramaEnthusiast said:
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:

Wtf?

Air's first adaption was awful, but they made an incredible movie and all was forgiven.

Key don't make anime, KyoAni do. KyoAni made Air, Kanon 2006, Clannad, Clannad Afterstory and Angel Beats.
Aug 13, 2013 4:56 PM

Jul 2013
I thought it ended at a right time.
Aug 13, 2013 4:58 PM

Oct 2012
JD2411 said:
DramaEnthusiast said:
Jaguer91 said:
DramaEnthusiast said:
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:

Wtf?

Key don't make anime, KyoAni do. KyoAni made Air, Kanon 2006, Clannad, Clannad Afterstory and Angel Beats.

KyoAni didn't make Angel Beats though. P.A Works did.
Aug 13, 2013 4:59 PM
Mar 2013
Koybz said:
JD2411 said:
DramaEnthusiast said:
Jaguer91 said:
DramaEnthusiast said:
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:

Wtf?

KyoAni didn't make Angel Beats though. P.A Works did.

I wasn't sure on that one lol
Aug 13, 2013 5:03 PM

May 2011
No. Maybe it would've been better but no masterpiece.
Aug 14, 2013 2:03 AM

Apr 2013
I'm actually quite fine the way it is. Some animes are just not meant to go for long in my opinion. Maybe up to 20 episodes and it'd be a completed masterpiece since I kind of felt that it was a bit rushed.
Aug 14, 2013 2:17 AM

Mar 2013
This is Inarguable...

Of course it would...
Happy Halloween
Aug 15, 2013 3:51 PM

Sep 2010
Angel Beats's major weakness was that it had a too large cast and many plot holes in such a short time frame. If it was 22 episodes, which seems perfect in my opinion, it would give many of the side characters a backstory and a departure as great as Yui's (;-;). It would be as high ranked as maybe Code Geass if it focused on character background and emotional relationships, but also balance the comedy and action. Many people also questioned how Otonashi fell for Kanade. A longer series could give them more hints and development such as Yui's and Hinata's comedic interactions. A 2 Part OVA on a "what if" scenario could of brought more love for the series too and would be a great way to end the series with an imaginative situation (Them reincarnated and meeting each other again with subtle flashbacks of their past).
Aug 16, 2013 1:27 AM

Jul 2013
firejet said:
Angel Beats's major weakness was that it had a too large cast and many plot holes in such a short time frame. If it was 22 episodes, which seems perfect in my opinion, it would give many of the side characters a backstory and a departure as great as Yui's (;-;). It would be as high ranked as maybe Code Geass if it focused on character background and emotional relationships, but also balance the comedy and action. Many people also questioned how Otonashi fell for Kanade. A longer series could give them more hints and development such as Yui's and Hinata's comedic interactions. A 2 Part OVA on a "what if" scenario could of brought more love for the series too and would be a great way to end the series with an imaginative situation (Them reincarnated and meeting each other again with subtle flashbacks of their past).

Although I can understand where you are coming from with this opinion. I don't believe it would have been better if it was necessarily longer. The side cast was mainly comic relief, but this allowed for better character development on behalf of the main cast(yuri, otonashi, kanade). If every character got the same emotional departure as Yui, it could cause a desensitisation towards the departures that were really important such as kanade's and otonashi's. The length of the main series is fine. However I do love the idea behind a two part OVA, it would be incredible to see the what if scenarios you talk about.
"There stood a high school boy, who for selfish reasons had twice beaten an elementary school girl unconscious, and had gotten all nihilistically worked up about it. Actually that's still me."
Aug 16, 2013 1:34 AM

Jul 2013
I definitely believe that it would be better if it had more episodes.

It could help because there are so many characters in in and the original amount didn't cover everyone or didn't cover everyone enough to be satisfied. It would also give us adeeper connection to the characters than we already have.
Aug 16, 2013 3:45 AM
Oct 2010
I think maybe 3 or 4 more eps fleshing out the side casts past lives as well as giving them a good sending off would have been great (I don't really expect a Yui twice, but something more along the lines of Iwasawa's sending off). I don't watch too many of these shows but I thought this was good overall.

TBH I don't understand how no one saw the kanade relationship happening. I swear it was quite obvious something was developing between them from all the scenes prior to that confession.
Aug 19, 2013 3:55 AM

Sep 2011
Maybe not a masterpiece, but it would have made it so much better imo. Angel Beats had a lot of potential which weren't used up. I would have really liked it if we got to know the past of every member, or at least some more (Like Shiina and TK) and not just the few that we saw.
The visuals (it's P.A. Works after all) and the soundtrack (It's Jun Maeda after all) were of course great.
The characters were all entertaining, with Yui being my favorite, but Yuri was also a close second.
I like Kanade, but I think she is a bit overrated to be honest, I can't really see why she is so popular. She is just the usual Kuudere.

So yeah, I think Maeda's work could have easily flourished out to be on the same level as the other Key works had it been longer, at least a 2-cour, if not longer.
It's sad to see that it didn't go all that well in the end :(
I hope Key really makes a VN in the future, that would certainly be great.
Aug 24, 2013 2:00 AM

May 2013
tsudman said:

Do you have a death wish?
Sep 6, 2013 4:53 AM

Jul 2013
I think more episodes would have helped dramatically. I never really got much of a chance to develop an attachment to the characters, and the end seemed too rushed regarding the forced romance (which could have been fine with more time to develop). I also believe that massive plot hole at the end is something that could have been fixed with more explanation, or another ending entirely had they more time to develop it. Unfortunately, they didn't.

It would have been very nice to see more episode, I would've liked to have seen a primary antagonist emerge, maybe explore a bit more of the world other than the school and the guild, see a bit more depth into the Angel Player and, like I said before, develop an attachment to the other characters.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 6, 2013 4:55 AM
Aug 2011
No way.

More topics from this board

» Explanation

Vapor_AU - 9 hours ago

6 by NTHQ »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 25, 2010

1752 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 23, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 4, 2010

662 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:41 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 28, 2010

565 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:13 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 21, 2010

388 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 1:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.