Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 17, 2014 2:35 AM

Jan 2014
Nice episode.
I agree that the situation Chihiru is in is sad and gloomy, but after Isshuukan Friends I cannot avoid to feel the already seen vibe to it. But I'm glad that while IF was more light-hearted, this show gives the other side of the coin.

Even though he still hasn't got a lot of screentime, I think the film-maker is going to be my favorite character. I like him, and I quite relate to him, he's the only character I am sympathizing with.

Still, I convey the story is good, and I am really enjoying watching it, but I can't seem to fully immerge myself in it, I don't know why. It's the same problem I had with Madoka.

Chihiro's seyuu is amazing.
May 19, 2015 8:38 PM

Aug 2009
hope the chihiro renji story can get better, getting really depressing now :(

not really into this miyako girl

well, dem drama escalating quickly
Sep 23, 2015 1:30 AM

Jan 2014
The animation was nice, it was slow but not boring.
This kind of reminds me of Glasslip, except Glasslip was more interesting xD
Sep 30, 2015 2:42 AM

Nov 2011
I really appreciated the difference in tonal shifts with this episode. Where the first episode was mostly seriously throughout and the second episode went from mostly upbeat to mostly serious, this episode went from mostly serious to mostly upbeat. Lifting the melancholic mood for a bit energized me more for writing this post.

Then I come it here and see people complaining about it being boring and stuff, and I'm just flabbergasted. I get that drama isn't everyone's cup of tea; I just do not understand the perspective that only sees this as ordinary (even if it is in specific senses). But enough about those people, because I'm finding this to be great so far.

The title cards are becoming less distinctive, particularly Reunion::Neighbor (the others being Everyday::Contradiction and Intention::Promise, which I think are fairly self-explanatory in context)-- but said reunion with Kuze did lead Renji to think things through with Chihiro more, some I'm glad that happened. In all honesty, I'm glad Chihiro was afraid of being forgotten; it sounds like she would have committed suicide otherwise. I thought the waiting-in-the-rain part was fairly obvious, but the explanation was more understandable than it usually is (well, on Chihiro's part). Also, I realized that the story unfolding in the eyecatches is either the story Renji seems to be writing for Chihiro, or the story Chihiro herself will end up writing. In any case, Renji's desire to help Chihiro is endlessly endearing. I'm just glad that he's coming to realize how much responsibility that entails.

Also, I'm glad it was cleared up that Hiro does indeed know about Chihiro, since Kei mentioned Chihiro's cold to him in the text. I think this strengthens the likelihood that they are indeed blood siblings, although Kei's actions are still a bit odd. It seems like a combination of genuine concern, attachment to Hiro (though some speculate it's romantic, I think it can be interpreted either way), and an apparent intense dislike for Miyako. In the end it does come off as bossy, however.

Speaking of whom, Miyako is such a fun character. I love what she represents: In stark contrast to both Renji (who is feeling the pressures of society and is uncertain of what to do) and Hiro (who is doing well enough in terms of societal standing but is still dissatisfied), Miyako disregards societal pressures in order to do what makes her happy. While I wouldn't condone dropping out of school, so many people are so overly concerned with so-called "obligations" like going to college or getting a certain kind of job that they miss out on pursuing their purpose in life. Having such an upbeat attitude despite being (apparently) hated by some of her peers is admirable, I think, and her unabashed presentation of herself makes me think she's an honest person. It's too bad that Hiro's either too dense or too disinterested to notice Miyako's obvious interest in him. I mean, I get that she didn't literally drop anvils on him as is required in some stories, but she's mentioned that she doesn't like being alone; she told him she was nervous (more or less) when she met him the second time; and this time she treated him to lunch (remembering that he complained about paying for everything on Christmas). I don't know why she's particularly interested in him, but he should be picking up on the cues already... Meh. He'll probably figure it out sooner or later. Hopefully.

On another note, Hiro mentioned getting the key to the roof from his older sister. Keeping in mind that Kei and Chihiro are both a grade lower (and therefore a year younger) than Hiro, that means we may be seeing another character related to him... such as the ethereal woman, perhaps.

Oh, and I'm all but certain that said "ethereal woman" is indeed ethereal now. She appears and disappears so quickly that it seems supernatural. I'm not sure how that would be incorporated into the storyline if that's true, but her sudden appearances and disappearances are hard to explain otherwise.

I'm glad Kyosuke is starting to be developed since he brings the various perspective about society full circle. I think he's more different than anyone else so far except maybe Kei. Rather than being uncertain (Renji), unassuming (Chihiro), unsatisfied (Hiro), or unaffected (Miyako), Kyosuke appears to be uncaring. He takes individualism and the pursuit of his dream to such an extreme that it crosses into the territory of selfishness-- in many senses, his position is the only one that is truly rebellious toward society. It is because of this that his development has so much potential. I'm looking forward to seeing how he progresses.

That being said, I do think Kyosuke's decision to leave his club was the right one. If he isn't willing to work in a group, he shouldn't. I'm not sure how it will work if he gets paired with Kei; that could potentially be a rather volatile combo, but maybe it'll end up being constructive?

Going back to my point at the beginning of this post, although these characters could be considered rather "simple" or "ordinary" in isolation, when you connect and contrast them like this story is doing, it becomes something greater than the individual parts. These are well-thought-out characters, and everything has occurred so far indicates that the story knows what it's doing with them. There is a statement being made here. What that statement is, I'm sure we'll find out sooner or later.

I'm loving this show.
Oct 22, 2015 1:46 AM

Jul 2009
Poor Chihiro she waited for Asou all night during the rain =/
It's kinda nice that the green hair girl broke up with ther blonde guy, for some reason I don't like him, it was hard to recognize that the green haired was the one in bed with him in the 1st episode...
Oct 28, 2015 11:46 PM

May 2015
This series is pretty uninteresting thus far. I find Renji an annoying/uninteresting character. The only thing I want to see more at this point is Hirono's story, but that is lacking. We'll see what happens.
Dec 21, 2015 11:09 AM
Nov 2014
Renji is annoying, but I really feel bad for Chihiro.

I like how the ED art keeps changing after every episodes, creative.
Jun 22, 2016 2:27 PM
Aug 2014
I like the series so far, it has got something special in its atmosphere. And i already found my favorite ship in Hiro and Kei.
The storyline about cameraguy, Kyousuke i think it was, is the one that doesnt interest me at all so far.
He just talks about "oh man im so uninspired, i hate making pictures, my life is so horrible, leave me all alone"
Dont get him at all

Damn great opening btw
Nov 11, 2016 7:58 PM

Mar 2015
Got little interested in this episode.

Didnt thought diary is very useful for memory defect. Isnt it disadvantage to watch long series animu when you lost memory? Is memory defect happens irl?

Thats right, to spend your life normally is boring so why dont we find a way to live a life extraordinarily just like me who escaped reality where I dont have to take job and watch anime anytime I want for everyday?

3.5/5
Raijin-sama619Nov 11, 2016 8:02 PM
Oct 31, 2017 6:45 AM

Jul 2008
Oh Hiro, you are in the doghouse now.
Dec 20, 2017 2:30 AM

Mar 2015
Aww I feel bad for Chihiro a lot, she even got sick. If Renji had been smarter, he'd still come anyway and check whether she's still waiting or not. That's what a gentlemen would do.

Anyway, I don't get the cameraman's story at all. Like why is he even here anyway? As for Hiro, he's stuck in a love triangle that's gonna be messy.

Nov 1, 2019 1:28 PM

Dec 2015
Oh my, that ending xD

I like it, it's relaxing to watch~
Sep 2, 2022 1:25 PM

May 2018
poor Chihiro T_T mc better get something to help her recover!
Sep 15, 2022 3:26 PM

Jan 2013
I kinda figured when Renji stayed inside because of the rain Chihiro would still be there.
He should've been there, especially after Chihiro explained what her life was like, the only thing she has is her diary and if they make a promise ofcourse she'd be there, regardless of the rain.
May 3, 2023 9:25 AM

Jul 2016
I don't envy eyepatch girl's condition. A life like that sounds rough af.

I don't envy manga guy's situation either.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - Nov 21, 2007

279 by mattchoo »»
Feb 3, 4:46 PM

» Popularity of this show?? For people who watched when it came out

kcvthewrld - Sep 8, 2023

6 by flomu »»
Nov 27, 2023 12:52 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

radiantfire - Dec 22, 2007

332 by salarx »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:59 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

dancu - Dec 12, 2007

196 by AaronPvP »»
Aug 19, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

radiantfire - Dec 17, 2007

195 by FarCritical »»
May 5, 2023 8:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.