Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 20, 2013 6:57 AM
Jul 2013
StrawHat_ said:
Ugh. As much as dislike this I can't deny this anime seems to have more going for it that it seems at first sight. I wouldn't call Hajime super intelligent, but neither would I call her dumb. She seems to have a different view on things, but she stills acts retarded at times. I don't mind the show going to pacifism route, but at least have some foreshadowing that the MESS aren't super evil. The way it was done was just typical ''I want to save everyone'' behavior. I'm sure this anime would have be so much better if it weren't for the overly eccentric behaviour.

As for Galax, I don't think it being some form of social criticism is executed that well. It's just not engaging at all. I think that anime like Tiger & Bunny, which highlights that more and more aspects of the world are becoming like a marketplace, do a much better job at it. I mean, at one point the heroes were told they couldn't fight the villain because it was commercial time. But Gatchaman Crowds just takes us getting more and more dependant on social media such as Facebook, and places a villain behind it. I really hope there's more to that than it seems, as right now it's just unoriginal and dull.

This!
Jul 20, 2013 7:04 AM

Apr 2013
This episode was fine. I'm starting to like this series.
Jul 20, 2013 7:08 AM

Jan 2012
After really disliking the first episode and being massively disappointed this one felt a lot better. It's still not really my cup of tea but it has a bit more going for it now. I'll keep watching for another episode at least.
Jul 20, 2013 7:28 AM

Jan 2013
figuette said:
Frontalbrise said:
makarov52 said:
damn.. who is he/she? is it she or he? XD
Its a crossdressing "he".

Dayum!
Jul 20, 2013 7:31 AM

Aug 2012
Frontalbrise said:
figuette said:
Frontalbrise said:
makarov52 said:

Dayum!

Jul 20, 2013 8:17 AM

Apr 2009
RandomPerson4 said:
Seems this is not a generic powerranger rip-off after all.
You don't see pacifism in these types of shows often either.
Definetly happy with this ep.

You do realize the original Gatchman dates back to 1972?
Jul 20, 2013 8:21 AM

Jan 2013
figuette said:
Frontalbrise said:
figuette said:
Frontalbrise said:
makarov52 said:

Dayum!

Bergkatze is the redhead, Rui is a different ... person.
Jul 20, 2013 8:23 AM

Aug 2012
@Frontalbrise Oh, oh! oopsie, I thought we were talking about the redhead. My brain was left in my other pocket for a moment there.... oops!
figuetteJul 20, 2013 8:33 AM
Jul 20, 2013 8:29 AM

Sep 2012
gustre said:
symbv said:
Agree with 1idd0kun. It really boggles mind to call her an airhead in this episode. She may look like one in the last episode but she turns out not to be one as is revealed in this episode. And I also think the line is not deep.

No one said she was an airhead. She isn't an airhead, but she acted like that. And probably the creator's intention is make her *seemingly* airhead. Otherwise they wouldn't have made her act like that. And I think it's a good idea. Execution about her is well-done to *deceive* viewers.
Well, if someone said a person acted like an airhead without elaboration, I am sure most people would think that he is calling the person an airhead. Simple as that.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 20, 2013 9:13 AM

Oct 2007
Man this has to be the most disappointing show for me this season as it was about the only one I had some hope for. Instead it's been about the exact opposite of what I expected when it was first being advertised and I'm not sure it's possible for me to adjust to what it appears to actually be without lying to myself and having no fun at all.

Where I expected some interesting style and visuals instead there's a crap ton of QUALITY art and animation and backgrounds that honestly look unfinished. Where I expected an interesting interplay and contrast of views and personalities among the cast the characters are all instead aggravating and one note in the extreme (like [C]) and while she's not the only one I have a problem with Hajime is the poster child for this so far. Literally all she's done these past couple of episodes is squeak and squeal over every little thing that happens and but heads with Sugune who is the exact opposite of her personality in what looks like a failed attempt to create contrast. "You can't do that, you can't do this, stop fooling around, we're on a mission wah wah wah". He's honestly about as bad as she is when you think about it as all he does so far is whine about her and how serious and hard his job as a Gatchaman is.

The others are basically non-entities still fulfilling the most base personalities of cool guy, effeminate guy and fan servicey waif. Then you have the also effeminate Berg Katze and the also effeminate cross dresser Rui. What is it with this show and literally every character being vaguely effeminate. I mean Tiger and Bunny had Nathan Seymour/Fire Emblem, but he was awesome in his appearances as a hero too and gave good advice to the rest of the cast, these people just act kind of weird and over the top as their sole contribution to what's happening so far.

This show just falls flat on it's face in it's opening episodes and I'll give it at least till the halfway point to see if it can pick itself up and go somewhere with it's premise and cast, but so far I don't see how that can be possible given how they've been set up. I'm predicting another [C] from this guy where the concept could work, but everything just ends up a huge mess of essentially making the execution entirely backwards from what probably should be happening.

Just not interesting whatsoever for me so far when it probably should be.
Jul 20, 2013 9:22 AM

Sep 2012
^ I did not hold ANY EXPECTATION except some non-standard color scheme and art, and I think it went quite well for me, even though I do not think I am used to the Hajime character yet. In fact, I raised this show a few notches in my mind among this season's anime because I kind of find various elements that I enjoy rather well LOL Not among my top choices for this season but still fine entertainment. It does not really need the Gatchaman label but I guess it is easier to pull in watchers this way than calling it an original anime...
symbvJul 20, 2013 9:30 AM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 20, 2013 9:44 AM
Jul 2009
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I'm predicting another [C]

It's already too different from C, at least thematically. In C, the monetary system is portrayed as downright evil since the beginning, but in this series they're not attempting to say that social media itself is evil. It's the way it's used what makes it either good or evil. Hajime herself shows how it can be used positively to make the world better.

Anyway, I can only agree on the QUALITY art, but it probably can't be helped as I imagine they're working on a ridiculously low budget. The show's pretty awesome in every other aspect and I think you're main problem is more with your expectations than the show itself.
1idd0kunJul 20, 2013 9:47 AM
Jul 20, 2013 9:58 AM

May 2008
Khaoticsuccubus said:
I think I flipping love this show. Especially Hajime. XD Best. Character. EVER!!!

Yup.
Jul 20, 2013 10:02 AM

Nov 2012
Frontalbrise said:
figuette said:
Frontalbrise said:
figuette said:
Frontalbrise said:
makarov52 said:

Dayum!

ah you spin my head too much XD
what important is.. it is "he" right? XD

NanoZero said:
Khaoticsuccubus said:
I think I flipping love this show. Especially Hajime. XD Best. Character. EVER!!!

Yup.

yey YEAH! XD

Go....... Bird..!!! XD
Jul 20, 2013 10:04 AM

Sep 2012
1idd0kun said:
Anyway, I can only agree on the QUALITY art, but it probably can't be helped as I imagine they're working on a ridiculously low budget. The show's pretty awesome in every other aspect and I think you're main problem is more with your expectations than the show itself.
To be honest, if they really have a low budget (which is hard to prove) I think they have done quite well for what they have. There may be some sakuga misses, but in general I think they have kept the animation fluid and avoid being too static.

Jul 20, 2013 10:19 AM

Apr 2011
I think the animation looks great, but this director does tend to miss things and have frames that just look very bad. It was similar in Tsuritama. Honestly, I don't mind that since it is nice to see them going with something that doesn't look like every other anime. I do hope they don't make many mistakes like that moment on the train, I noticed that before reading it here(didn't notice any of the other mistakes) and it just looked weird and distracted me. So hopefully they don't make any major mistakes like that anymore, maybe they improve it for BD release like some other shows do. Never seen/read anything about if they did that with Tsuritama. Which also had a cool art style, and overall looked great. Just had plenty of ugly frames and small mistakes that were noticeable enough to be worth mentioning.

I enjoyed this ep, and I really like Hajime. Glad more people are starting to see that she's not an idiot. Although I really don't get why people felt that way to begin with. It's like talking a lot = stupid, being cold/quite = smart to them.... She did show a lot more of the depth to her character, and I think it really put more emphasis on how she just doesn't analyse things like most people would. Can't wait to see the other characters become more fleshed out, this show is great so far.
Jul 20, 2013 10:24 AM

Jan 2013
makarov52 said:
Frontalbrise said:
figuette said:
Frontalbrise said:
figuette said:
Frontalbrise said:
makarov52 said:

Dayum!

Yes, yes, he is. Sadly. Or fortunately. Depending on preference :D
Jul 20, 2013 10:25 AM

Aug 2012
symbv said:
1idd0kun said:
To be honest, if they really have a low budget (which is hard to prove) I think they have done quite well for what they have. There may be some sakuga misses, but in general I think they have kept the animation fluid and avoid being too static.

Most of the time the keyframes are not very solid, let alone the in-betweens and I can't help but to think that either the key animator(s) is not very comfortable with the nonstandard character design or didn't had enough time to check the results. To a lesser extend this was the same problem with Tsuritama, Uki Atsuya's designs there had a certain nuances that are very easy to miss and mess up when one is not consistent and in hurry and Takahashi Yuuichi's ones have a great level of quirkiness not typical to anime (so far, because I'm noticing these type of designs gaining more popularity lately).

makarov52 said:

Yes it's a he, sorry for the confusion. There is a lot genderbender in this show though.
figuetteJul 20, 2013 10:53 AM
Jul 20, 2013 10:47 AM

Oct 2012
Loving this show. Love the characters so far. So entertaining.
Jul 20, 2013 10:50 AM

Apr 2011
figuette said:
symbv said:
1idd0kun said:

Most of the time the keyframes are not very solid, let alone the in-betweens and I can't help but to think that either the key animator(s) is not very comfortable with the nonstandard character design or didn't had enough time to check the results. To a lesser extend this was the same problem with Tsuritama, Uki Atsuya's designs there had a certain nuances that are very easy to miss and mess up when one is not contention and in hurry and Takahashi Yuuichi's ones have a great level of quirkiness not typical to anime (so far, because I'm noticing these type of designs gaining more popularity lately).

I think it is probably the key animators also. The directors anime with more well known/highly regarded studios seemed to have far less/any quality issues. Like Mononoke for example, which also had a very elaborate/different art style. That was Toei though, and we all know how much $$$ they rake in(along with some of the best talent around I would assume).
Jul 20, 2013 11:00 AM

Aug 2012
@TinkleTinkle-Hoy Who is doing the animation here anyway? Btw, I'm not sure what you mean when you say "this director does tend to miss things". Do you mean for example Hajime's ear? That's the quality control guy's responsibility.
figuetteJul 20, 2013 11:06 AM
Jul 20, 2013 11:12 AM

Apr 2012
The very first episode was strange but now I love the show, especially Hajime <3
Jul 20, 2013 11:32 AM

Apr 2011
figuette said:
@TinkleTinkle-Hoy Who is doing the animation here anyway? Btw, I'm not sure what you mean when you say "this director does tend to miss things". Do you mean for example Hajime's ear? That's the quality control guy's responsibility.

Yea I know he's not the exact person to blame, but he's still the director. It's like if some employee at a restaurant wasn't cleaning up the tables properly. Yea it's the guy cutting corners and not doing his job properly who is to blame, but the manager is also to blame for not noticing or correcting the problem.

I guess the studio who is doing this also did [C], and the original Gatchaman series, also the other shows that were higher rated were Sket Dance and the original Macross. They have some popular shows, but nothing that really makes them extremely memorable. Tatsunoko Productions they're called.

I'm not complaining really though, overall the show looks great. This director just tends to have these issues with his shows, even when it isn't the same studio. So who knows.. I like him as a director though, he isn't afraid to do stuff that is different.
Jul 20, 2013 11:44 AM

Aug 2012
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
figuette said:

Yea I know he's not the exact person to blame, but he's still the director. It's like if some employee at a restaurant wasn't cleaning up the tables properly. Yea it's the guy cutting corners and not doing his job properly who is to blame, but the manager is also to blame for not noticing or correcting the problem.

Ah I see, well it's really hard to tell, in a movie a director has more control about what gets out and more time to go through more things personally, it get's a lot more hairy when creating a weekly released series. But, yeah, things are generally all over the place, especially if one starts to pay attention.

TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
I guess the studio who is doing this also did [C], and the original Gatchaman series, also the other shows that were higher rated were Sket Dance and the original Macross. They have some popular shows, but nothing that really makes them extremely memorable. Tatsunoko Productions they're called.

Hmm... [C] animation from what I remember wasn't that much all over the place, Sket Dance also was pretty standard. Original Macross is too old to count.

TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
I'm not complaining really though, overall the show looks great. This director just tends to have these issues with his shows, even when it isn't the same studio. So who knows.. I like him as a director though, he isn't afraid to do stuff that is different.

Ah, not I don't think you are complaining, facts are facts. I like this director a lot too.
Jul 20, 2013 12:25 PM

Nov 2011
symbv said:
1idd0kun said:

There have been some sequences I thought were pretty cool.

Jul 20, 2013 1:02 PM
Dec 2012
this anime start to pop up a lot of question
Jul 20, 2013 1:12 PM
Feb 2013
Oh looks like Hajime made a new friend, I wonder who is new character that just arrived, is she on their side or is she the new enemy?
Jul 20, 2013 1:37 PM

Feb 2011
Again, I can't get enough of Hajime <3

I love this show so much! Easily the best of the season already.
Jul 20, 2013 1:43 PM

Nov 2012
makarov52 said:
figuette said:
Frontalbrise said:
figuette said:
Frontalbrise said:
makarov52 said:

Dayum!

Yes, yes, he is. Sadly. Or fortunately. Depending on preference :D
yeah.. sadly :( ah I got trolled -_- but okay at last he doesn't has boobs. so I dont really get trolled :p

figuette said:

makarov52 said:

Yes it's a he, sorry for the confusion. There is a lot genderbender in this show though.

ahh I see now.. :3 well at least it has himeji :p
and dont tell me if utsu-tsu is a boy too.. she has a boobies right? -_-
Jul 20, 2013 3:30 PM

Oct 2007
Kjeldoran said:
Personally, I find Hajime's personality to be incomprehensibly annoying. There's something about her bubbly personality and over-the-top optimism that makes it painful to watch her. If that was the goal, they did a damn good job, but I think her personality wouldn't be so bad an existance if they toned it down a few notches. Although I'd much rather see her suffer through crippling anguish to my amusement and enjoyment, I'll settle and let this particular dog have its day.

So far, character dynamics have been disappointing. Hajime and Sugane are terrible foils. As far as I'm concerned, most of the other characters hold the same weight as the paper crowd in a sports video game. The social media theme as a later plot concept seems interesting. Maybe, just maybe, this show will go somewhere unexpected and won't end in mediocrity.

Completely agree so far. I don't see how people can possibly see Hajime as a smart character hidden within an apparent airhead. I'm not getting the same vibe I got from say Shoko Sashinami from Valvrave where on the surface she appears to be this happy go lucky airhead, but you can see eventually she's always considering things and trying to be generally good natured and find the best solution that makes the most people satisfied even if she's more than a little out of her league in certain areas. Then again I didn't find Shoko to be anywhere near as over the top as Hajime has been portrayed in these episodes and that's counting episode 5 and the nature of the show she's in herself.

By comparison Hajime comes off as insufferable because by essentially forcing herself, her personality and a little bit of her opinions on the viewers from the moment she appears in the most ham-fisted way possible and the show seeming like it's going to go down the road of consistently reaffirming her views and making the entire rest of the cast a foil to her is a bad omen. I REALLY hope it doesn't go down that road as that would turn this show into a complete joke for me for real. I think this show is going to sink or swim based on just how naive a world view it manages to espouse through Hajime. Whatever they are going for potentially in terms of positivism,good naturedness and just empathizing with people being a more effective tool than violence I'm not sure (I should say I by no stretch find these to be bad traits for a person to aspire to)...rather I don't think Hajime in her current portrayal is the right sort of spokesperson for that sort of thing at all. Tiger pulled it off in Tiger and Bunny by being a fully realized and truly world wise character with some noticeable flaws, Shoko pulled it off in Valvrave's first season by ultimately showing that there were some problems that even her resolve couldn't overcome, let's see where they go with Hajime, but I can't help but feel that because of where they seem to be taking her this episode that she comes off as potentially even worse than in the first episode.
PeacingOutJul 20, 2013 3:36 PM
Jul 20, 2013 3:49 PM

Aug 2012
@Kaioshin_Sama, I think you are comparing wrong people/characters. Hajime was never suppose to be like Shoko or Tiger.

Hajime (for now, because seriously this is just 2 episodes in, lots of things can happen) is sort of like this:

And btw her power is the power of limitless potential, I think that says a lot.
figuetteJul 20, 2013 4:18 PM
Jul 20, 2013 4:10 PM

Oct 2011
Hajiime <3
Jul 20, 2013 4:33 PM

Mar 2010
Whoa. I see homo here. Just some random guy who is kissing people-stealing identities?
Hajime is so cute. :3 If she was my junior, I'll hug her everyday.
Jul 21, 2013 1:11 AM

Mar 2009
Hajime Rocks! even the Mayor knows her!
Jul 21, 2013 3:16 AM
Jan 2013

I wonder if she is friend or foe?
Jul 21, 2013 12:34 PM

Jul 2012
This is the weirdest shit I've ever seen. But it fun to see a show that breaks so many expectations.
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Jul 21, 2013 2:01 PM

Jan 2011
[center]
Jul 21, 2013 4:42 PM

Sep 2010
This girl have serious mental problems
Jul 21, 2013 5:27 PM

Jul 2010
Hands down, Hajime and Tomoko from Watamote are the best girls this season.

THOSE OST. THOSE OST. Taku-senpai you are giving me orgasms everytime, please stop or I'll break~

Anyway, that GALAX application is fucking brilliant. They surely put so many thoughts about that. So, I hope that they will explain it further.
AkanezoraJul 21, 2013 5:37 PM
Jul 21, 2013 6:48 PM

Jun 2013
Oh my god, I love this show. I love Hajime. I love the style. I love the music. I love how over-the-top it is.

I also like the... person at the end. I am unsure whether s/he is a she or a he, but s/he wears glasses and you can't beat glasses, you know?
Jul 21, 2013 7:29 PM

Jan 2013
Akanezora said:

THOSE OST. THOSE OST. Taku-senpai you are giving me orgasms everytime, please stop or I'll break~

Anyway, that GALAX application is fucking brilliant. They surely put so many thoughts about that. So, I hope that they will explain it further.
Dat Hajime with dat protective eyewear.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jul 21, 2013 7:44 PM

Feb 2013
<3 Hajime's wings.

Jul 21, 2013 8:06 PM

Apr 2010
The concept behind GALAX and how it helps people is pretty damn cool. Someone gets hurt and a nurse or doctor on the system could be there in seconds.

Jul 22, 2013 3:12 AM

Oct 2009
Cabron said:
Akanezora said:

Dat Hajime with dat protective eyewear.

Reminds me of Jun, but judging from her hair accesories, her mischievous nature, and as the last member of Gatcha team, perhaps she's more fitting role of Jinpei the Swallow.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Jul 22, 2013 6:04 AM

Sep 2012
Watched this episode second time and I am even more certain that this series has been a pretty good series itself, which is amazing as I do not particularly like either the heroine or the main guy that much. I would credit its art and designs, pacing, characterization and mood generation, as well as the presentation of the world setting, and the OP/ED too. I especially like how it grounds itself firmly with the real world, the park where their base is located is a real park near Tachikawa (a suburb of Tokyo); the monorail is real too; and then there are various points where the characters interacting with ordinary citizens -- I love how Hajime inspired the old and the young to get together and try to think outside of their narrow bias -- which I guess also hints at why Hajime thinks that everyone should think outside their hidebound mind when they deal with the "mess".

Jul 22, 2013 6:49 AM

Jul 2010
Idk but am I the only one who was facepalming at Hajime when she was like "No save the enemy, we'll make it our friend"? -_- I often don't mind that kind of idealistic thinking but somehow when she does it, it makes me wish that cube/MESS would've stabbed her just to prove her wrong.

Anyway I have absolutely no idea where the plot is going though I do think the setting is interesting, I just hope the show will start to focus on more characters besides Hajime, since I don't like her that much it's a little difficult to really enjoy the episodes so far...
Jul 22, 2013 8:13 AM

Aug 2012
azzuRe said:
Reminds me of Jun, but judging from her hair accesories, her mischievous nature, and as the last member of Gatcha team, perhaps she's more fitting role of Jinpei the Swallow.

I think she is Ken (she got the room #1) and Sugane is Jinpei, Ken had razor and Junpei had bolo, they are both sharp object, but I think razor is more equivalent to scissors, since bolo is rather large.

But now that you mention it...... they personalities could be seen that way, although I think Jinpei was more immature character like Sugane, Hajime is not immature she is "heroic" like Ken (and all the other heroes protagonists from that era)

Jun is Utsu-tsu (I think).
figuetteJul 22, 2013 8:23 AM
Jul 22, 2013 8:47 AM

Oct 2010
Oh god this ship is killing me, Hajime's a cutie. The OST sounds really good.
Jul 22, 2013 11:09 AM

Oct 2012
Hajime is a kind of annoying and carefree but that ending with the trap (?) make me want to watch the next one.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gatchaman Crowds Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

VioLink - Jul 12, 2013

299 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Mar 7, 4:53 AM

Poll: » Gatchaman Crowds Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2013

122 by CartoonVelocirap »»
Dec 14, 2023 7:36 PM

Poll: » Gatchaman Crowds Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

VioLink - Sep 27, 2013

213 by epidemia78 »»
Jan 19, 2023 4:49 AM

Poll: » Gatchaman Crowds Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2013

93 by epidemia78 »»
Jan 19, 2023 2:31 AM

Poll: » Gatchaman Crowds Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

VioLink - Sep 13, 2013

103 by epidemia78 »»
Jan 18, 2023 1:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.