Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 1 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 4, 2013 9:40 AM

Jul 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm watching this on a stream as its airing.

oh my god tHIS IS SO FAITHFUL IM GOING TO CRY.

I can't understand a word they're saying, but in terms of their interactions, personalities, and facial expressions, damn. Damn.

I've been up for fourteen hours waiting to create this thread and watch this episode. I'm going to cry. This is beautiful.
ihateeveryoneJul 4, 2013 9:52 AM
Jul 4, 2013 10:04 AM

Nov 2011
Decent casts so far.

This guy has some nice hair:

Lol @ the fish. Monokuma's weird as hell. The way he walks and talks. I'm liking the theme of the show though. It has that survival like feeling to it.

Question: who is the leader of these kids??

Also lol @ the weird laugh, HEHEHEHEHE. /wtf.
Jul 4, 2013 10:07 AM

May 2013
Is anyone aware on the estimated time of the first english sub to come out, Just wondering?
Jul 4, 2013 10:08 AM

Dec 2011
NerdTalent said:
Is anyone aware on the estimated time of the first english sub to come out, Just wondering?
The same as Half Life 3 probably.
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Make a contract with me... /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\
Jul 4, 2013 10:11 AM

Jan 2013
OH man i just feel so happy. Togami literally gives no shits.

It will probably take about 30 min to an hour at least to sub i think.
ThritraiusJul 4, 2013 10:47 AM
Jul 4, 2013 10:13 AM

Jan 2011

HA HA time for despair!

I like the way they handled the character introduction, also dat game OST along with some new BGMs nice.
VioLinkJul 5, 2013 3:22 AM
[center]
Jul 4, 2013 10:13 AM

Apr 2013
ihateeveryone said:
I've been up for fourteen hours waiting to create this thread
... lol'd
Jul 4, 2013 10:16 AM

Oct 2011
First episode wasn't as bad as I thought it would be yeah it was a bit rushed but not as rushed as I had thought it would be, so I'm more hopeful for the series now.

Also it is really nice seeing everyone animated
Jul 4, 2013 10:16 AM

Jul 2012
Sourire said:
ihateeveryone said:
... lol'd

If you think I'm exaggerating ask sakuraoogami or masserati94.
Jul 4, 2013 10:19 AM

Apr 2013
Dammit, I was forced to miss it due to an emergency potty break.

Tell me, just how much have they adapted. I can see from the screenshot that they've got the little cut-scenes for each character, which is really surprising to keep, but what else was there?
Jul 4, 2013 10:20 AM

Mar 2010
I love it so far, hope they'll keep up with the game. They even preserved some character's pose from the original game, that was awesome!

【私の夢しかありません。】 | | | | | | |
Jul 4, 2013 10:21 AM

Dec 2011
I'M SCREAMING I JUST SAW CELES SPEAKING AND NAEGI BLUSHING AND YAMADA BOUNCING ON THE BED AND ASAHINA BEING A CUTIEPIE I DON'T CARE IF IT'S NOT AS GOOD AS THE GAME I'M SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL MOVING

ihateeveryone said:
Sourire said:
ihateeveryone said:
... lol'd

If you think I'm exaggerating ask sakuraoogami or masserati94.

Dude she's not exaggerating I've been with her during these hours of struggle
Jul 4, 2013 10:21 AM

Jul 2012
MrOCD said:
Dammit, I was forced to miss it due to an emergency potty break.

Tell me, just how much have they adapted. I can see from the screenshot that they've got the little cut-scenes for each character, which is really surprising to keep, but what else was there?

They ended it at

They adapted a little over half of the first chapter, to say the least.
Jul 4, 2013 10:22 AM

Dec 2011

I don't know how to deal with this fandom
Jul 4, 2013 10:23 AM
Jan 2010
Sourire said:
ihateeveryone said:
... lol'd

She's serious.

Like, seriously, I've been talking to her about it for most of my day - you have no idea how dedicated she was to this.
Jul 4, 2013 10:25 AM

Nov 2011
Do these kids have a leader or something btw?
Jul 4, 2013 10:26 AM

Jan 2011
Stark700 said:

[center]
Jul 4, 2013 10:27 AM

Jul 2012
Stark700 said:

Define "leader."
Jul 4, 2013 10:27 AM

Nov 2011
ihateeveryone said:
Stark700 said:

Define "leader."

As in someone who gives out orders/commands and formulates a plan to get through this.
Jul 4, 2013 10:29 AM

Dec 2011
Stark700 said:
ihateeveryone said:
Stark700 said:

Define "leader."

As in someone who gives out orders/commanders and formulates a plan to get through this.

I think about the main detective trio:

But not really one leader per se, no.
Jul 4, 2013 10:30 AM

Jul 2012
Stark700 said:
ihateeveryone said:
Stark700 said:

Define "leader."

As in someone who gives out orders/commands and formulates a plan to get through this.

Pretty much what sakuraoogami said, Kirigiri, Naegi, Togami. Though yeah, there really isn't a "leader" in the show.
Jul 4, 2013 10:31 AM

Apr 2013
ihateeveryone said:
They ended it at...
...They adapted a little over half of the first chapter, to say the least.

Oho, as I've expected, they ended it on that point as a cliffhanger. Sounds great so far, but
Jul 4, 2013 10:33 AM
Jan 2010
Stark700 said:
ihateeveryone said:
Stark700 said:

Define "leader."

Kind of hard to say, there's no real "leaders", although there are definitely characters who have more of a say in things than others.
Jul 4, 2013 10:34 AM

Jul 2012
MrOCD said:
ihateeveryone said:
They ended it at...
...They adapted a little over half of the first chapter, to say the least.

Oho, as I've expected, they ended it on that point as a cliffhanger. Sounds great so far, but

Jul 4, 2013 10:37 AM

Jan 2013
Stark700 said:
ihateeveryone said:
Stark700 said:

Define "leader."

Well there is the trio (togami, kirigiri and naegi) who try to think of way out of the situation (mostly) and Ishimaru who is probably the closet to a leader.
ThritraiusJul 4, 2013 10:46 AM
Jul 4, 2013 10:39 AM
Aug 2011
Oh dang they are on point with this, it better stay that way.

Sakura *u*

Thritraius said:
OH man i just feel so happy. Togami literally give no shits.

It's gon' be good seeing all the shits he won't give.

Yes my Summer is almost complete.
Jul 4, 2013 10:44 AM

Mar 2013
Something smells fishy here.
Jul 4, 2013 10:50 AM
Jan 2012
That was really cool. A bit rushed but cool.
And I love that they kept things like sprite poses from the game and all. Aah, I'm diggin' it.
Jul 4, 2013 10:52 AM

Dec 2011
Upset that they didn't show Yamada walking with his peculiar thigh gap.
But hey, at least we saw him jumpin on a bed.
Jul 4, 2013 10:54 AM

Mar 2012
Papde said:
NerdTalent said:
The same as Half Life 3 probably.

cackles in utter amusement because that is hilarious and slightly true.
Jul 4, 2013 11:08 AM

Apr 2013
This is just wishful thinking, I do hope the subs follow the fan translation's version of the game's particular choice of words, some examples being the electroiD and the Super Duper High School titles. It won't kill me to know they won't, but it does calm my worries in knowing that they /do/ know what they are translating.

Some of the more particular wordings like
This is probably one of the only times being liberal may be a bad thing. It's just those nuances are very important in solving the puzzles.
Jul 4, 2013 11:17 AM

Nov 2007
Miyata-san voicing a girl? Hikasa-san's character is... calm girl? The girl with people phobia is Sawashiro-san? Sakurai-san as deliquent? And Ishida-san's megane guy? etc. full of interesting characters. lol @ principle is Monokuma!! So the clip with family destroyed is working... despair.

OP is instrumental!! ED is good as what we've seen in CM!
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 4, 2013 11:26 AM

Mar 2013
Jul 4, 2013 11:33 AM
Feb 2012
sakuraoogami said:

Danganronpa has one of the most obnoxious fanbases I have ever seen. Very few of them have even played the game before, yet they are so fanatic and obnoxious about it. I don't understand it at all.
Jul 4, 2013 11:33 AM

Dec 2012

Where are the raws, damnit! I've been checking for a while and still only the Rozen Maiden appeared! UGhhh!
Jul 4, 2013 11:34 AM

Jan 2011
It's a Doraemon voiced bear D:

Jul 4, 2013 11:44 AM

Dec 2011
HiddenDoorway said:
sakuraoogami said:

Danganronpa has one of the most obnoxious fanbases I have ever seen. Very few of them have even played the game before, yet they are so fanatic and obnoxious about it. I don't understand it at all.

Very few actually played the game because it's, you know, only out in Japan. The translated patch only came out last week and now people are playing it. But before actually playing with their own hands we had the opportunity of reading a FULL translation (Oren's LP isn't just any LP - he literally translated the whole game, fully, every detail and free time, with every audio rip, video, event sprite and full soundtrack), and since Dangan Ronpa is a visual novel it's almost comparable to experience it on first hand. Idk about the fanbase being obnoxious, but I am HUGE fan of the franchise only having read LP's and summaries for both games, and I'm really emotionally invested into it, so there's not much logic in what you're saying right now.
Jul 4, 2013 11:48 AM

Jul 2012
sakuraoogami said:
HiddenDoorway said:
sakuraoogami said:

Very few actually played the game because it's, you know, only out in Japan. The translated patch only came out last week and now people are playing it. But before actually playing with their own hands we had the opportunity of reading a FULL translation (Oren's LP isn't just any LP - he literally translated the whole game, fully, every detail and free time, with every audio rip, video, event sprite and full soundtrack), and since Dangan Ronpa is a visual novel it's almost comparable to experience it on first hand. Idk about the fanbase being obnoxious, but I am HUGE fan of the franchise only having read LP's and summaries for both games, and I'm really emotionally invested into it, so there's not much logic in what you're saying right now.

You tell them.

Really though, don't go insulting an entire fanbase because "very few have played the game." I'm sorry if we come off as obnoxious to you, but your reasons for saying that we are are quite flawed.

To put it bluntly,
Jul 4, 2013 12:44 PM

Apr 2013
Just watched the raw! It's alright for an anime-of-the-game like feel. It's the best it could be with just 13 episodes.

Now, a test to see if the subbers can get this part right:

Hold on, this is the same director of the Devil Survivor 2 game-to-anime adaption, right? Oh boy.
IIRC, he also did Angel Beats! and Persona 4 and as well as Jinrui, some of the anime I liked to a certain extent.
It seems he is just better off just doing direct adaptions without messing around with the plot, like as to what happened to Devil Survivor 2.
Jul 4, 2013 12:51 PM

Mar 2009
Enjoyed the first episode as much as I could without subs. Really digging the anime thus far, pacing was my main concern since they only have 13 episodes to accomplish a lot, but thus far it seems pretty alright.

Honestly it was just amazing to see characters I already love so much moving and speaking (well speaking more than they did in the game)!
Jul 4, 2013 12:53 PM

Dec 2011
This thread needs a bouncy Yamada.

Jul 4, 2013 1:05 PM

Dec 2012
(Never underestimate the power of loli!)

Happy Birthday to me ^^!

Really loved the anime version, the manga version sucks. The animation looks like a VN, or some theatrical presentation, but the character designs are very good, the colors are appealing, and the BGs are detailed and clear.

The Prologue seems to start with a death penalty. The settings, the characters, and the Mastermind [insert zetsubou x doubt] are smoothly introduced. Also the rules of a game no one has expected:

Of course, I have favourites, whose play I will follow, but the anime pays attention to mina-san.

A good start, eager for the TL and the next episodes!
Jul 4, 2013 1:13 PM

Apr 2013
HiddenDoorway said:

And the translation in the LP isn't even that great, the one in the fantranslation is a bit better, but not really. It doesn't even really capture the feel that the game is supposed to have, and over exaggerates the 'wackiness' and zany nature of the game far more than it should.

I don't exactly agree with that notion, but because it is impossible for me to be able to play the game with the original text, I can't exactly argue with that.

But do tell me, in your opinion, how would you scale the quality of the writing of the fan translation (not the let's play one) in comparison to some many other official localisation companies like NIS America, Aksys, and Xseed? Also, what do you mean by "feel?"
I personally think the game's fan translation is better than some of the said localisation companies in terms of nuance, and of how natural one would normally speak.

And about the rest of your post about SA's Dangan Ronpa fans and whatnot, I don't have an opinion other than because I've only played the game, and stayed well away from potential spoilers.

I also apologise to everyone for even remotely hinting any spoilers in this site, I won't do it again. The ones I'm referring to are the ones without spoiler tags. Mentioning it so people don't misunderstand and think that I'm misunderstanding things. heh.
MrOCDJul 4, 2013 1:49 PM
Jul 4, 2013 1:15 PM
Apr 2007
This episode was so awful... I can't even say how awful.

I loved the game (and especially the second one... these final chapters were amazing) but... this will not work.

I'll still watch for Monokuma but... ugh.
Jul 4, 2013 1:20 PM

May 2010
Liking the pace of the anime so far, but I'm still worried about fitting all 6 chapters into 13 episodes, I just hope they don't skip too much. But overrall I really enjoyed the 1st episode, and it's nice to see they preserved they're poses & the game OST.

Jul 4, 2013 1:44 PM

Mar 2009
sakuraoogami said:
This thread needs a bouncy Yamada.

Thank you this is everything I needed.
Jul 4, 2013 1:51 PM

Oct 2012
I really liked this first episode. I can't wait to see how it will play out.
I actually loved how they introduced all the characters and they all seem pretty interesting, especially monokuma. Definitely looking forward to the rest of the series. I want to play the game now.

The ED song is awesome.
Jul 4, 2013 1:52 PM

Sep 2011
Sukirima said:

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 4, 2013 1:58 PM

Apr 2013
Koybz said:
Definitely looking forward to the rest of the series. I want to play the game now.

I'd highly suggest you play the game first if you want to have a much less rushed experience, assuming you own a PSP and is okay with, well, playing a patched version of the game, but it is the only way to get it other than SomethingAwful's LPs of it.

In my opinion, the anime is fine in it's own right. I just think it may impact your experience of the mystery solving and unveiling when it comes to watching the anime first then playing the game.
Vice versa.
Jul 4, 2013 2:03 PM

Dec 2011
Leeeet's not turn this thread into a discussion about the fandom (although I do agree that a majority of the western fanbase is /really/ bad, but I don't really get involved with these people, and I don't even see how someone can stop themselves from enjoying something just because a group of people who like said thing are annoying but well).

Let's focus on how cute Naegi is.
Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2013

435 by Ricky16 »»
4 hours ago

» how should i watch Danganronpa ?

TheAdo - Dec 29, 2016

19 by InstantRamenKing »»
Feb 9, 10:20 PM

» whats up with Kyoko Kirigiri hands?

EagleEd - Jan 13, 2018

5 by kaamsas »»
Jan 13, 7:04 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 5, 2013

148 by berlinza6as »»
Jan 7, 2:07 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2013

263 by Gator »»
Sep 13, 2023 8:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.