Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 20, 2013 1:26 PM

Feb 2012
So everyone keeps complaining about the last 12 episodes and the way Light died, I'd like to hear people say how the anime should really have ended.

My Notes:
I actually liked the original ending, The first option seems too simple, but could have worked if Light was busted in some really epic way, the second makes no sense because there's no way one teenager with a notebook could become world ruler and his order would eventually fall. The third option is not like the 7th, in this one L and Light kill each other and that sounds stupid, the fourth seems interesting enough, the 5th one as well, even though I don't know how he would obtain the Death Note and the 6th one is what actually happened.

Also, slightly off topic I'd like you to read Death Note extra shot manga, which expands Near's character a bit.
PorcupineHeadMay 21, 2013 8:14 AM
May 21, 2013 4:44 AM

May 2013
Can I say I don't want it to end??? Haha but thinking about Bakuman, I guess the authors wanted it to end even earlier than the original...

I actually came here to see the poll result, but I can't believe I was the first one voting...Well, I chose the original~

However, I actually dropped the series after L died; and just read some description of the following story line. It's not that I hate Light for killing L, but I got scared to watch the latter part...I love both L and Light, and I really did not want to witness the death of Light after seeing L died.
NamiKaGurapikaMay 21, 2013 4:48 AM
May 21, 2013 4:47 AM

May 2012
Light fuck his bitch (can't remember her name) the END.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 21, 2013 4:53 AM

Jan 2013
Probably left it as an open ending after L's death?
May 21, 2013 4:56 AM

Oct 2010
Cylindt said:
May 21, 2013 7:42 AM
Aug 2012
I like the way Death Note ended. Not how Near won, but how Light was reduced to a pitful stump at the end. The manga ended it better than the anime.
May 21, 2013 7:50 AM

Nov 2012
keeenu060 said:
I like the way Death Note ended. Not how Near won, but how Light was reduced to a pitful stump at the end. The manga ended it better than the anime.
Does the manga end differently?
May 21, 2013 7:57 AM

Feb 2012
johnyjohny said:
keeenu060 said:

Practically not, but instead of escaping and asking Ryuk to write his name, Light asks Ryuk to kill Near and police, but Ryuk writes Light's name and reminds him that was the part of the agreement.
May 21, 2013 8:00 AM

Apr 2013
spyrocoot said:
Cylindt said:

Add to poll.
May 21, 2013 8:30 AM

Nov 2012
IndependentSK said:
johnyjohny said:
keeenu060 said:

Practically not, but instead of escaping and asking Ryuk to write his name, Light asks Ryuk to kill Near and police, but Ryuk writes Light's name and reminds him that was the part of the agreement.
Is this a spoiler? Should i pick up the manga?
May 25, 2013 12:27 AM

Dec 2007
While not my preffered ending I do wonder what the world would be like if Light had won. As much as I like Light, I think it ended perfectly. The only thing I don't like is he was defeated by near. If Near wasn't as ridiculous a character as he is, or even if Mello and Near worked together I would preffer it.
May 25, 2013 7:19 PM

Oct 2012
I wanted to see Light winning. I just hate that Near won, though I really love the awesomeness in the last 2 episodes.

But to see one person to become a god of a new world and defeating everyone with any means necessary would be something new. Especially because Light's not even evil. He's just very very arrogant, but I still like him :P
Jun 5, 2013 1:56 PM

May 2013
I like the actual ending.. nothing would've satisfied me more than Light's death And the way he died..
But I just felt something was missing because L wasn't there.. I kept hoping til the last few episodes that he'll show up again.. somehow !

On the other hand, Near wasn't so bad, I liked him, but I think it would've been better if Mello accepted working together at some point..
Jun 6, 2013 8:08 PM

Apr 2013
Near: "No one will die, I switched the notebooks."
Light: "Mikimi, did you write in the notebook, or the loose page I gave you for this situation?"
Mikimi: "The loose page my lord, just as you instructed."
Near: "Oh shi...t" *dies*
Jun 6, 2013 9:12 PM
Jul 2018
Basterd said:
Light: "Mikimi, did you write in the notebook, or the loose page I gave you for this situation?"

This would've been so BRILLIANT. Why didn't Light do this?!!
Jun 7, 2013 11:36 PM

Aug 2008
There's nothing wrong with the ending it has (in fact it's one of the best endings I've seen in anime in general).

If Light had won, they would have just found excuses to drag the series out and the fans would have begged for more.

The manga ending was nice because it really showed you how pitiful he had become (the whole point of the second arc).

The anime ending was nice because it also showed that, but also included the inclusion of what could have been (with the reflection of his past self).
hyperknees91Jun 7, 2013 11:40 PM
Jun 9, 2013 4:19 AM

May 2012
L should've lived and defeated Light. (Fuck Near!)

Either that or just end the series open with L's death.
Jun 10, 2013 11:53 PM

Jan 2011
I wish Light could have been somewhat changed by his experiences during the period he gave himself amnesia. In the end, Light would stop using the Death note, and save the world with L ^^.
Jun 14, 2013 3:12 PM

Mar 2013
Blows that Light only lost because his follower fucked up. Would've been better if Near and Mello had worked together to take him down.
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams

"...but all these feels that are currently assaulting me don't seem to care. Conversely, I'm also aggressively erect at the moment..."
Jun 19, 2013 8:56 AM

Nov 2009
Series should have ended after L died tbh.

It was very hard to invest any sort of feeling for Near after the series spent so long building L up. He felt really tacked on. Sort of a way to keep the plot going but if it ended after L's death, at least people could draw their own conclusions on how the world went on.
Jul 1, 2013 5:59 PM

Feb 2010
I love how everyone is nagging because L died. It's hilarious, actually.It was pretty obvious he was going to die and if you didn't see it coming, that's really too bad. You only have yourselves to blame.

*activating rant mode*

First of all- I, too, was EXTREMELY disappointed and broken hearted when L died, and I refused to continue watching this show even after learning he had successors... but aren't you guys being a little too narrow-minded? (I am confessing that I am a fan of L so fangirls please do not attack me. Thank you.)

L was going to be beaten by Kira, even if Remi didn't write down his name. That's right. I went there. After analyzing the relationship between L and Light, I have come to the conclusion that perhaps the reason L got himself killed was because he allowed himself to get too close to Light. Fan girls, please calm down. By "close" I''m not exactly sure if it's relationship wise or...physically- probably a bit of each), but I know that after Light confirmed that the person approaching him was indeed L, he put one foot in the grave.

L knew what position he put himself in. He literally just showed up to the person who he suspected to be Kira, stayed by him knowing that anytime he could be killed. This is the TRUTH because why else would they have an orphanage for L's successor? This is in case he were to die, right? I mean, L has been put it many difficult cases, but according to all the other officers, he rarely puts his life at stake.

If you recall, Roger told Mello and Near news that L had died, Mello asked:
"Who did he end up choosing?" A very bold step to make a decision on who you want as your successor when you believe you won't die, right? L knew that he would die (hinted several times, don't know if anyone else caught them), and so I don't see why everyone is so surprised. L had to die, and someone had to take his place. How are you supposed to develop "feelings" for Near when the end literally focused on driving the plot? Who would have been a better "replacement" for L now that you know he was going to die anyways? Near, obviously.

I don't understand why people wanted Light to win in the end. Seriously, people? "Light wins, perfect world is created, the end." It is most certainly not the perfect world when a psychotic maniac is "controlling" it. In the end, justice will prevail. Who is true justice...who takes "the right course of action"...Light or L? Obviously L.
Who is his successor? Near. It's only obvious that Near won in the end.

*end of rant*- - by the way, if you are interested, I give my full thoughts here on my blog

It's completely logical, and the best way to end the series, in my opinion.
EarlCielJul 1, 2013 6:09 PM
Apr 7, 2016 1:06 AM

Apr 2016
I think that Light and Near both should have died. Then, Ryuk takes the death note and goes to the Shinigami World. THE END
Apr 8, 2016 5:21 AM

Mar 2016
KVV said:

QFT. Light turning into a bullet-riddled screaming wreck, and dying at the hands of Ryuk. The anime just changed the circumstances slightly; in the manga, Ryuk write's Light's name in his DN right in front of Light and everyone else in the warehouse showdown, while Light begs pitifully for his life.

The anime had Light run away, to die pitiful and alone as Ryuk wrote his name in his DN.

I actually like BOTH endings very much, if for different reasons.
I am the one you warned me of.
Jun 11, 2016 1:59 AM
Jun 2016
IndependentSK said:
So everyone keeps complaining about the last 12 episodes and the way Light died, I'd like to hear people say how the anime should really have ended.

My Notes:
I actually liked the original ending, The first option seems too simple, but could have worked if Light was busted in some really epic way, the second makes no sense because there's no way one teenager with a notebook could become world ruler and his order would eventually fall. The third option is not like the 7th, in this one L and Light kill each other and that sounds stupid, the fourth seems interesting enough, the 5th one as well, even though I don't know how he would obtain the Death Note and the 6th one is what actually happened.

Also, slightly off topic I'd like you to read Death Note extra shot manga, which expands Near's character a bit.

You're right. I agree with what you said but I may disagree with you on how one teenager would become ruler. I would invite you to think and remember the first few episodes, how Light expertly almost brilliantly eliminated every obstacle that came in his way. He came all that way on his own, as a teenager. So why not rule the world? For a second there I thought that his plan would work, an almost-too-good-to-be-true moment. The ending is good, ridding the world of Kira in that moment. But as soon as it ended, I fascinated a different one, a one where it would be so much new, for Kira to actually win. He's come this far, he's killed L, the best investigator in the world. Anyways, those are my notes. I respect yours. Just wanted to share.
Jun 11, 2016 2:21 AM

Mar 2015
Ash_DuQuennes said:
KVV said:

QFT. Light turning into a bullet-riddled screaming wreck, and dying at the hands of Ryuk. The anime just changed the circumstances slightly; in the manga, Ryuk write's Light's name in his DN right in front of Light and everyone else in the warehouse showdown, while Light begs pitifully for his life.

The anime had Light run away, to die pitiful and alone as Ryuk wrote his name in his DN.

I actually like BOTH endings very much, if for different reasons.
as much as i dislike second cour development, i can't deny deathnote excuted light character and development briliantly... i love seeing how light being lowest piece of shit in human form with no humanity left at all which contradict with his original goal and showing hoe he is swallowed by his own greedy...
KumaJun 11, 2016 2:26 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 12, 2016 11:18 PM
Jun 2016
Light dying like Scarface, King Lear, and Walter White is AWESOME!

A similar theme of power and how it can corrupt absolutely is in alot of movies and Death Note did it well.
JP here, I'm The Fit Super Geek DJ and make Anime and Video Game influenced hip hop music:

https://soundcloud.com/rapscallion-rascals/super-uppercut-punch-out

and I also play flamenco guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/user/jphardboiled
Jun 17, 2016 5:13 AM

May 2016
>Light wins, perfect world is created, the end.

that's some shallow delusion right here.
Jul 24, 2016 12:34 AM
Jul 2016
They could've at least let Light take out Near before ultimately losing. I mean, the ending was completely unnecessary.
Aug 22, 2016 11:26 PM

Jun 2012
If it ended the same way but without Near and Mello, the show would have been great. Add in more development for Light's fall (like hearing L's voice/seeing L again, etc) to further show his deconstruction, and make it so his fall was brought on entirely by himself, being crushed by his overriding fear and twisted ideals as everyone around him learns the truth as he slowly loses his grip. For even though he killed L, in the end, he still could not win.

That would have been so much more satisfying than watching him die to shoe-horned in characters nobody gave a crap about.
Sep 8, 2016 4:31 PM
Sep 2016
Mann I was kinda disappointed in the ending.. Light was my favourite character,and him just being exposed and dying was a bit lame, but I like how it links back to the beginning when he was told the shinigami would have to right his name. Anyway I had my own idea of ending it: maybe after he was running away ryuk would of someone how turned him into a shinigami or something? Sounds wierd but Ryuk did say he would be a great one. It would also be a bit funny, light would just be like "Heh, try killing me now. Till next time." Idk maybe they could make another anime about light doing the same thing as ryuk and "accidently" drop his death note.
Oct 5, 2016 7:54 AM
Jul 2016
I actually loved the ending in the "Death Note 2: The Last Name", and I wish they would have made it similar to that.
Oct 7, 2016 10:59 PM

Apr 2013
I think Bakuman holds some insight. Warning Bakuman spoilers ahead.

P.S. if you haven't read or watched Bakuman yet, then you totally should.
It kinda reminds me of sports manga/anime but its about manga not sports.
It also gives you alot of insight into the world of manga.
Oct 14, 2016 4:21 AM

Oct 2016
Should of ended with L telling Light he shouldn't of killed too many people because it's wrong and that he knows it's him.. then he should of got someone to assassinate Light.
Mar 11, 2017 8:50 AM
Mar 2017
i would ended it lke light will give up and make things clear then make love to amane XD
Mar 11, 2017 9:51 AM
Mar 2017
I always liked the idea of Light killing Near and walks away thinking he won. But then as a last precaution Near had the entire building surrounded with snipers, cops, swat team, whatever and then just have them critically wound Light. I do like the idea of Ryuk being the one that kills Light, just to bring it all full circle. So maybe have Light get critically wounded, retreat back into the building, have him call for Ryuk's help, then Ryuk denies and kills him in the end.
Mar 11, 2017 9:59 AM

Dec 2015
Light wins, but he is eventually killed by his followers would be awesome.
But I think Light is worse than L, so L should've won
Mar 24, 2017 1:11 AM

Oct 2015
If L is going to die... they should had Light win it all. I really hate how Near end up beating Light, I understand he got his guard lowered down but that just pathetic.
Mar 25, 2017 6:34 AM
Mar 2017
I wold have loved if L was reincarnated by light using Death Eraser(as appears in the manga) and l would become servant of light trying to bring light's utopia come true.

however slowly L regains some of his memories and tries to bring Light to justice
Mar 26, 2017 8:45 AM

Dec 2014
it would be great if L still alive but i realy like the way Ryuk put Light names in the death note so i thought the original ending is more suitable than every possible ending.
Watch aria the animation and it's sequel.
Mar 26, 2017 9:55 PM
Oct 2014
I really liked the live action's ending!
Prior to Rem writing down L's name in the death note, L wrote his name in the death note saying something like "L Lawliet will die 1 month from this date". This renders Rem's attempt to kill L null, giving L a chance to fake his death and corner Light. Faced with a doomed and panicking Light, Ryuk writes Light's name in the death note. All the characters move on afterwords, peace returns, and L dies.
Jun 8, 2017 12:26 PM

Dec 2014
Basterd said:
I would laugh my head off if that happened xD
Jun 8, 2017 12:41 PM

Dec 2014
Any of them but four would be good. The actual ending was meh to me, because my first thought was: "How did someone beat a person not even L himself did?" I mean, I doubt Light would lose to overconfidence. Remember when he met Misa, he said he couldn't afford to fall in love like other idiots do. For if he knew that if he did, he would make a mistake he wouldn't made if he wasn't in love.
Jun 8, 2017 12:44 PM

Aug 2016
Death Note should have ended just right after L's death. No L's successors crap. I liked the Melo and Near part but it was in no way epic like the battle between Light and L, so I agree with those saying to keep the ending open.

The way Light had his plans foiled by Near in the end felt pathetic. It wasn't because I don't like Near, but I can't see someone of Light's caliber being tricked like that. From prior episodes, he had plenty of backup plans. This is the same character that planned to have amnesia, burying and switching notebooks, prove his innocence, knowingly pick a corrupt corp higher up to do all Light expected of him, knowingly forced Rem to self-sacrifice by killing in order for the well being of Misa, obtain his memory back once the "Kira" was exposed and pretty much all the events that happened is his entire intended plan
Jul 2, 2017 7:59 AM
May 2017
L..shd..hav..lived.
the..story..lost..its..pull,magic,charm,etc..after..his..death.
he..is..he..smartest.
watching..him..was..the..most..fun,interesting.

and..if..L..was..gonna..die,..he..shd..hv..died..only..2/3..ep..before..Light...and..then..he..shd..hav..defeated..posthumously.
PeachesRoseJul 2, 2017 8:03 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Note Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kei-clone - Mar 21, 2007

121 by misterskinny »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Does Death Note deserve a remake? ( 1 2 )

Kenny_Stryker - Nov 2, 2017

55 by Absurdo_N »»
Apr 26, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UFO - Feb 14, 2007

110 by misterskinny »»
Apr 25, 9:03 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UFO - Feb 7, 2007

132 by misterskinny »»
Apr 25, 9:02 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Xinil - Feb 2, 2007

109 by misterskinny »»
Apr 25, 8:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.