Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Are you disappointed by KyoAni ?
I am. I don't expect much of this anime.
29.6%
Nope. I think I'll enjoy it.
70.4%
1,006 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 26, 2013 12:55 PM

Sep 2012
I'm disappointed in people who are disappointed.
Apr 26, 2013 12:57 PM

May 2010
Why are so many people saying this anime doesn't have any plot? Did you see it yet? How can you tell?
This could just as well be a well done sports anime like Kuroko or whatever, as it could be full force fanservice. We basically know nothing yet, so why is everyone freaking out already?
Sit down, drink some tea and wait for the first episode before you complain.
Apr 26, 2013 1:00 PM

Nov 2008
I still want a new FMP or Haruhi, but this is good, too. Most very definitely watching it.
Apr 26, 2013 1:01 PM
Apr 26, 2013 1:05 PM

Sep 2012
Paul said:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/18507/Free!/stats
Watching: 30
Completed: 2
On-Hold: 6
Dropped: 12

Wat.

And I can understand all the 1's and 10's. I think it's retarded, but I expected as much.

But the 5, 7, 8, and 9's? What?
Apr 26, 2013 1:06 PM

Dec 2011
Red_Keys said:
Paul said:

Wat.

And I can understand all the 1's and 10's. I think it's retarded, but I expected as much.

People with amnesia from the future.
Apr 26, 2013 1:06 PM

May 2011
It's just expanding their horizons like many other animation companies, mangaka's, and etc. do. Part of life.

“Girls can wear jeans and cut their hair short and wear shirts and boots because it’s okay to be a boy; for girls it’s like promotion. But for a boy to look like a girl is degrading, according to you, because secretly you believe that being a girl is degrading.”—Ian McEwan, The Cement Garden (1978)
Apr 26, 2013 1:08 PM

Dec 2012
Paul said:
My god this is stupid.
Apr 26, 2013 1:12 PM
Jul 2010
HikikomoriGamer said:

There is estimated around 500k-2m fujoshi in the world, the most sold fujoshi product had 80k-100k sales. Fujoshi are not a viable market unless you're a small, doujin company on a small budget.

Why are you talking about "the world" here? When talking about anime, only the Japanese fans matter. Remember that anime is a medium made by Japanese for the Japanese. International sales are an extra, it used to matter a little during the anime boom in America during the mid 00s, but nowadays what American fandom expects or wants is of no concern to the Japanese.
Apr 26, 2013 1:13 PM

May 2011
Red_Keys said:
Paul said:

Wat.

It's called being first...

I think everyone should vote ten to make it temporarily #1, but that's just me.
*Cringey anime weeb stuff*
Apr 26, 2013 1:14 PM

Dec 2011
NFH said:
HikikomoriGamer said:

There is estimated around 500k-2m fujoshi in the world, the most sold fujoshi product had 80k-100k sales. Fujoshi are not a viable market unless you're a small, doujin company on a small budget.

Why are you talking about "the world" here? When talking about anime, only the Japanese fans matter. Remember that anime is a medium made by Japanese for the Japanese. International sales are an extra, it used to matter a little during the anime boom in America during the mid 00s, but nowadays what American fandom expects or wants is of no concern to the Japanese.

Which was my exact point for fujoshi market not being viable for someone as big as KyoAni.
Trigger cares about west, but most studios don't.
Apr 26, 2013 1:20 PM

Jul 2011
Paul said:

Lol, what it's wrong with the people?
Apr 26, 2013 1:23 PM

Jun 2012
pralan said:
Paul said:

You wouldn't understand...

Mal rankings are super cereal!
Apr 26, 2013 1:24 PM
Jul 2012
pralan said:
Paul said:

My god really. Girls rating 10 that's why they like it.
Apr 26, 2013 1:25 PM

Sep 2012
GoldenBRS said:
pralan said:
Paul said:

My god really. Girls rating 10 that's why they like it.
No no I think you have it backwards.

They don't like it because they rated it a 10, they rated it a 10 because they liked it.

And why only girls?
Apr 26, 2013 1:26 PM

Jul 2011
YorozuyaGinSan said:
pralan said:
Paul said:

You wouldn't understand...

Mal rankings are super cereal!

Apr 26, 2013 1:53 PM

Aug 2011
Paul said:

I think I'm crying this is hilarious
Apr 26, 2013 2:02 PM

Jan 2012
I'm disappointed, but i'm too scared to talk about it in case someone has a go at me in this thread....
Apr 26, 2013 2:05 PM

Jun 2011
To be honest, I was really hoping for something better than this.

Ah, well. I'll still watch it anyways. Although, I'm not expecting anything special from this. To me, it just seems like another moe Kyoani anime. Except, instead of moe, there's homolust. i just want my hyouka s2 kyoani ;_;
FastnessofWheelsApr 26, 2013 2:26 PM
Apr 26, 2013 2:16 PM

Apr 2010
It's been years for me since I watched FMP! so I not all that disappointed. But KyoAni making a bishie anime after all the years of moeness? Kinda of like the change in pace, I'll watch it; can't be any worse than Tamako Market... X(
Apr 26, 2013 2:22 PM

Feb 2012
I'm not disappointed because I never had any expectations one way or the other.

Paul said:

lol as of this post it's already ranked 1155.
Apr 26, 2013 2:25 PM

Sep 2010
I've been waiting for this since the PV so I'm very excited. I also want more FMP as well and I'm sure it will become more than just a pipedream one day.

I think its nice to see KyoAni taking risks and I don't give a rats ass if it flops (like Gundam AGE) or not I'm just glad they are going through with it and I'll thoroughly enjoy it for the bromance, what little plot it may or may not have, and character development cause not all females are just to scream about yaoi pairings. I personally hope it sells well since I want other companies to try to make more anime like this as well where the main cast is made of solely male characters that ISN'T an otome adaption, reverse harem, or yaoi/BL. Cause lets see from my memory we have Nichibros, Kimi to Boku, and Tsuritama. Maybe there is a few more, but thats all we have while the males get like 10 anime every season about "cute girls doing cute things" or "creating a club".
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Apr 26, 2013 2:37 PM

Dec 2011
Well we just gonna have to wait and see (I have high 'expectations' about it though, I'm sure it'll be great)
Apr 26, 2013 3:00 PM

Mar 2009
to all boys who don't like this Free! idea, how does it feel? are you mad? because that how many people including females, feel about some crappy and offensive shows with the only purpose of satisfy with the idea of a retard female.

This is definitely not about this show, boys.. [i cannot consider a man who act like this] "oww hontou? boys pride is getting hurt kyaa~ don't get mad nee? neechan is going to be there for you pyun pyun te-hehe..kedo.. neechan love Bishie nee hontoni! daaasuki deeesu, so, yamete stop beign a pain is the ass kizama... machista-kun :d tehehe deshou? !!!¬¬ nani...

the most incredible thing is the idea of this topic, is this absurd war against something they don't care & won't watch, filled with gender & social discrimination, and this prejudice is absolutely disgusting, just LET IT BE and do as many other do with shows people don't like: Deal with it.
Apr 26, 2013 3:02 PM

Jul 2012
Slightly disappointed but I didn't expect much in the first place.
Apr 26, 2013 3:09 PM

Jun 2012
I'm a heterosexual male and I'm excited for this.
Apr 26, 2013 3:10 PM

Dec 2012
saiyagok said:
to all boys who don't like this Free! idea, how does it feel? are you mad? because that how many people including females, feel about some crappy and offensive shows with the only purpose of satisfy with the idea of a retard female.

This is definitely not about this show, boys.. [i cannot consider a man who act like this] "oww hontou? boys pride is getting hurt kyaa~ don't get mad nee? neechan is going to be there for you pyun pyun te-hehe..kedo.. neechan love Bishie nee hontoni! daaasuki deeesu, so, yamete stop beign a pain is the ass kizama... machista-kun :d tehehe deshou? !!!¬¬ nani...

the most incredible thing is the idea of this topic, is this absurd war against something they don't care & won't watch, filled with gender & social discrimination, and this prejudice is absolutely disgusting, just LET IT BE and do as many other do with shows people don't like: Deal with it.
Okay.
Apr 26, 2013 3:13 PM

Dec 2011
saiyagok said:

Who are you even talking about?
There are people who are not excited for it because:
1. It's bad for KyoAni sales
2. Fujoshi fanbase is obnoxious
And people who are excited for it:
1. Because it's K-On with men
Apr 26, 2013 3:14 PM
Jul 2012
HikikomoriGamer said:
saiyagok said:

This o.0
Apr 26, 2013 3:15 PM

Apr 2011
Did you all expect this to be some amazing anime or something? It was clear exactly what it was from the first PV... An anime isn't bad because it's a genre you don't like... Gotta love the MAL community. I know not all of you are so ridiculous though.
Apr 26, 2013 3:18 PM

Dec 2011
GoldenBRS said:
HikikomoriGamer said:
saiyagok said:

This o.0

Please explain.
Apr 26, 2013 3:20 PM

Mar 2010
AkaNoYasha said:
I hoped it was an FMP season 3. I am really disappointed. I thought KyoAni would finally understand we don't want to see plotless things animated, but Tamako Market's flop didn't seem to be enough for them to understand. I hope Free won't sell too. Maybe because of that they'll finally stop making pointless shows.
wahhh kyoani isn't making more FMP and are instead making new things and trying to appeal to a different audience, wahhhh i hope the people who are killing themselves to animate this don't succeed, please go away, you're not needed here
Apr 26, 2013 3:25 PM

Dec 2012
Vylash said:
AkaNoYasha said:
I hoped it was an FMP season 3. I am really disappointed. I thought KyoAni would finally understand we don't want to see plotless things animated, but Tamako Market's flop didn't seem to be enough for them to understand. I hope Free won't sell too. Maybe because of that they'll finally stop making pointless shows.
wahhh kyoani isn't making more FMP and are instead making new things and trying to appeal to a different audience, wahhhh i hope the people who are killing themselves to animate this don't succeed, please go away, you're not needed here
Most obnoxious fanbase of 2013.
Apr 26, 2013 3:28 PM

Oct 2008
zeldas12 said:

This, and I don't get why people hates this so much.
Apr 26, 2013 3:30 PM

Mar 2010
Monde11 said:
Vylash said:
AkaNoYasha said:
assuming i'm a fujoshi because i'm not burning this at the stake makes you a complete idiot
Apr 26, 2013 3:33 PM

Nov 2008
AkaNoYasha said:
Like I said, they could have made something with a PLOT.
Seriously, it's not even about the fan service, the girls or the boys, or anything. If they made a new original anime with a plot, or a sequel of FMP or Haruhi(which have a decent plot and characters, something Free seems not to have), I wouldn't be complaining right now.
KyoAni changed. I don't like their recent moe works, and now they give us this bullshit. How do you expect not to complain ? They used to do much better.
Do you even buy their sales? If not then it is your fault. Boo fucking hoo.

If you do your research without being a dumbass, you should see that recent Haruhi light novels did not sell well so the hopes of getting a new season is already in vain.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Apr 26, 2013 3:33 PM

Jun 2011
Monde11 said:
Paul said:
My god this is stupid.
Apr 26, 2013 3:34 PM

Jan 2013
I'm a little disappointed but i'm going to give it a shot anyways

Dec 2012
Vylash said:
Monde11 said:
Vylash said:
AkaNoYasha said:
assuming i'm a fujoshi because i'm not burning this at the stake makes you a complete idiot
I didn't say that but whatever.
May 2011
bt-kun said:
zeldas12 said:

They just hate it because it's not moe girls and the guys here want to spank their monkeys to their 2-d waifus. It's not their 1 guy 20 girl anime series.

I'm a guy and I don't see anything wrong with it - ppl are jumping the gun like always and they are saying the usually "this gonna be a plotless hole of a show"
ban1o.jpg
Apr 26, 2013 3:35 PM

Dec 2011
bt-kun said:
zeldas12 said:

One, this is not suppose to get the homosexual crowd. It'd have to be bara to get gay attention, these boys are bishonens meant to appeal to women and hetero men.
Two, reason people are angry is because they are tired of KyoAni pumping out shows like this that barely have a plot to speak of. There's a reason Hyouka and Tomako market sold poorly. Simply changing the gender of characters does not fix the issue. I personally have no issue with people, like Roloko, enjoying boys being cute, but is it really a wonder there's so much barking back when people, like Vylash and saiyagok, provoking anger out of already agitated people?
Apr 26, 2013 3:44 PM

Oct 2008
RyuKirin said:
They just hate it because it's not moe girls and the guys here want to spank their monkeys to their 2-d waifus. It's not their 1 guy 20 girl anime series.

I'm a guy and I don't see anything wrong with it - ppl are jumping the gun like always and they are saying the usually "this gonna be a plotless hole of a show"

Too bad for them, I guess. They can't accept a show made for another audience and they call it plotless, yet many of them have watched K-on and enjoyed it :/

HikikomoriGamer said:
One, this is not suppose to get the homosexual crowd. It'd have to be bara to get gay attention, these boys are bishonens meant to appeal to women and hetero men.
Two, reason people are angry is because they are tired of KyoAni pumping out shows like this that barely have a plot to speak of. There's a reason Hyouka and Tomako market sold poorly. Simply changing the gender of characters does not fix the issue. I personally have no issue with people, like Roloko, enjoying boys being cute, but is it really a wonder there's so much barking back when people, like Vylash and saiyagok, provoking anger out of already agitated people?

Oh, I see. I agree with the KyoAni has been making some plotless shows lately. But I don't mind a "new" kind of show aimed at a new audience, they can make lots of shows with plots later on!
Apr 26, 2013 3:46 PM

Nov 2008
HikikomoriGamer said:
yhunata said:
HikikomoriGamer said:
yhunata said:
HikikomoriGamer said:
yhunata said:
kuro-shiro-neko said:
seriously, there's plenty of fan service for males out there, yet its stupid for girls to have some fan service? i will be disappointed if its like FMP, FMP is a good anime but... really?
also why are people assuming that it end like k-on? it might have a full on plot, or something like kuroko no baske

what's so bad about fujoshi anyways? who said you have to be female or gay to watch things like this? there are plenty of popular anime's out there that has ecchi, or is it that all the females that watch anime that contains ecchi or fanservice lesbians?

You're totally missing the point here. These butthurts are whining because KyoAni isn't making what they like, which they most likely do not even directly pay for. Seriously, this isn't the end of the world and boo-fucking-hoo. So they didn't make something you expected, big deal. There's more to anime that KyoAni.

If we are going to use sales for arguments, this is not expected to sell well.
Fujoshi in japan don't care much for it, and male otaku said they won't buy it. Only discussions are very few negative ones, not much else. It's a bad business move since only the west is interested in this, and KyoAni has no interest in the west.

They're a business, aren't they? It's high time they actually tried to take some risks with their anime instead of pandering to the moe-loving otaku.

Moe-loving otaku are where most of the money is.
Even Hyouka and Tomako Market, which had terrible sales, still sell better than fujoshi anime. Only fujoshi pandering product that has any sales worth mentioning is otome games.

That's why I said it's high time they take risks. As a business, that is one of the top things that a business should do: take risks. Without taking risks, you'll just be a one trick pony that keeps hanging on to brand loyal customers who can only be depended on for so long.

Chuu2 had crazy sales, and it's getting second season. KyoAni can't survive without it's male otaku numbers.
Taking risks is fine, but taking risks with something that has confirmed failure rate is beyond stupid. You're not proving anything, go look at sales figures and come back.
Here, I'll give you some numbers:

Who told you the story will be catering for fujoshis? Are you from the freakin future?

A mere PV won't say everything about the content.

There might be female leads in the story which guys can fap on because this is swimming anime and swimming = swimsuits.
This might be a hot blood sports anime and will get good impression like Kuruko no Basket.
There are many possibilities. Stop assuming it will be pure fanservice.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Apr 26, 2013 3:49 PM

Dec 2011
DenjaX said:
HikikomoriGamer said:
yhunata said:
HikikomoriGamer said:
yhunata said:
HikikomoriGamer said:
yhunata said:
kuro-shiro-neko said:
seriously, there's plenty of fan service for males out there, yet its stupid for girls to have some fan service? i will be disappointed if its like FMP, FMP is a good anime but... really?
also why are people assuming that it end like k-on? it might have a full on plot, or something like kuroko no baske

what's so bad about fujoshi anyways? who said you have to be female or gay to watch things like this? there are plenty of popular anime's out there that has ecchi, or is it that all the females that watch anime that contains ecchi or fanservice lesbians?

You're totally missing the point here. These butthurts are whining because KyoAni isn't making what they like, which they most likely do not even directly pay for. Seriously, this isn't the end of the world and boo-fucking-hoo. So they didn't make something you expected, big deal. There's more to anime that KyoAni.

If we are going to use sales for arguments, this is not expected to sell well.
Fujoshi in japan don't care much for it, and male otaku said they won't buy it. Only discussions are very few negative ones, not much else. It's a bad business move since only the west is interested in this, and KyoAni has no interest in the west.

They're a business, aren't they? It's high time they actually tried to take some risks with their anime instead of pandering to the moe-loving otaku.

Moe-loving otaku are where most of the money is.
Even Hyouka and Tomako Market, which had terrible sales, still sell better than fujoshi anime. Only fujoshi pandering product that has any sales worth mentioning is otome games.

That's why I said it's high time they take risks. As a business, that is one of the top things that a business should do: take risks. Without taking risks, you'll just be a one trick pony that keeps hanging on to brand loyal customers who can only be depended on for so long.

Chuu2 had crazy sales, and it's getting second season. KyoAni can't survive without it's male otaku numbers.
Taking risks is fine, but taking risks with something that has confirmed failure rate is beyond stupid. You're not proving anything, go look at sales figures and come back.
Here, I'll give you some numbers:

Who told you the story will be catering for fujoshis? Are you from the freakin future?

A mere PV won't say everything about the content.

There might be female leads in the story which guys can fap on because this is swimming anime and swimming = swimsuits.
This might be a hot blood sports anime and will get good impression like Kuruko no Basket.
There are many possibilities. Stop assuming it will be pure fanservice.

One, the director of the show already stated the focus of Free! will be "Male Chest" first and "water" second.
Two, it's KyoAni. What do you seriously expect? Just replace playing music with swimming and girls with boys.
Apr 26, 2013 3:52 PM

Dec 2011
bt-kun said:
RyuKirin said:

Too bad for them, I guess. They can't accept a show made for another audience and they call it plotless, yet many of them have watched K-on and enjoyed it :/

HikikomoriGamer said:

Oh, I see. I agree with the KyoAni has been making some plotless shows lately. But I don't mind a "new" kind of show aimed at a new audience, they can make lots of shows with plots later on!

This looks pretty expansive compared to Chuuni, Tomako Market, and Hyouka... I seriously hope it won't bite them on the butt.
Apr 26, 2013 3:53 PM

Nov 2008
HikikomoriGamer said:
One, the director of the show already stated the focus of Free! will be "Male Chest" first and "water" second.
Two, it's KyoAni. What do you seriously expect? Just replace playing music with swimming and girls with boys.

Source about the director's statement plox.

And tell me more about what you forsee about the future.

Apr 26, 2013 4:00 PM

Aug 2011
So what's exactly wrong with catering to the female anime fans? You can't automatically call it bad just because you're not the target audience for this. I could go out on a limb and say every moe harem show is shit, but I won't because I know some of them are legitimately good and others might appeal to specific groups of people. Now, if this ends up objectively terrible with bad plot and characters, then I'll be the first to say it's terrible. But for now, quit hating an unaired anime just because it's targeted towards a certain audience that you aren't a part of. That's just hypocritical.
Apr 26, 2013 4:02 PM

Dec 2011
DenjaX said:
HikikomoriGamer said:

http://lucidcyanotypes.tumblr.com/post/48929664679/note-from-the-director-of-free-aka-swimming-anime
If you can moon, you can find it yourself otherwise.

And I repeat, it's KyoAni. What do you seriously expect?
Apr 26, 2013 4:09 PM

Nov 2008
HikikomoriGamer said:
DenjaX said:
HikikomoriGamer said:

http://lucidcyanotypes.tumblr.com/post/48929664679/note-from-the-director-of-free-aka-swimming-anime

Hmmm. That source doesn't seem too legit for me.

And yeah I expect KyoAni nails on entertainment level as always. What is wrong with that?

Apr 26, 2013 4:10 PM

Dec 2011
DenjaX said:
HikikomoriGamer said:
DenjaX said:
HikikomoriGamer said:

Hmmm. That source doesn't seem too legit for me.

And yeah I expect KyoAni nails on entertainment level as always. What is wrong with that?

Like I said, you can get better source if you know moon. Sorry.

I never said anything wrong with it, just the sales are not likely to meet a good number for a studio like KyoAni. Read my previous posts.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Free! shows demographic matters more than ever

Sanjay63773 - Jan 23

8 by Yaoi4U »»
Apr 3, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Free! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

lpf - Jul 24, 2013

315 by Luisito14 »»
Mar 21, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2013

408 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2013

145 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:34 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2013

170 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.