Forum Settings
Forums

Anime you thought you'd like but ending up disliking.

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jan 30, 2013 8:02 AM

Apr 2011
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai: It was a torture to watch that for some reason. The visuals were pretty amazing, but I couldn't watch it. The OP was very good though.

Monster: When I first read the synopsis, I figured it would be an awesome anime. I was disappointed to find out I didn't like it at all.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu: It is so talked about, I could not think how I could not like it. In the end, I fell asleep all three times I tried to force myself into watching it.
Jan 30, 2013 8:08 AM

Jan 2013
Neon Genesis Evangelion.
I read about it on wikipedia and seeing how highly rated it was, I thought it would be a good anime. But, either I did not understand it completely or maybe I watched it in the wrong state of mind because so far, that is the only anime which I disliked completely. I found Duel Masters to be better than that.
Jan 30, 2013 11:27 AM

Dec 2012
I was very hyped for AIR because at the time I watched it, I was using its main character in MUGEN and was a very obsessed fanboy of her. But then I dropped AIR at Episode 5 because it was very depressing, there was no action whatsoever to drop my jaw, and knowing its ending is like knowing that Bruce Willis is a ghost. In addition, I was watching Gurren Lagann at the same time and realized that that was what I would really enjoy considering that I grew up with Power Rangers.
Jan 30, 2013 3:15 PM

Sep 2012
Definitely Bleach. I just find that it's not going anywhere, this includes manga as well. Maybe it's just me.
"Do you want to accelerate to the next level, young man?" - Kuroyukihime
Jan 30, 2013 3:19 PM

Mar 2012
RedArmyShogun said:
Rosario X Vampire. Not sure why I didn't like the anime, I'm enjoying the Manga, but the anime seems much more...light hearted and made up of jokes. Maybe its just me.
I don't like the anime adaptation too since the atmosphere is different to manga and more importantly they alter the character personality.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jan 30, 2013 3:39 PM
Jun 2012
clannad
elfen lied
Jan 30, 2013 4:14 PM

Jun 2009
sword art online
(this may have to do with the fact that I came across the 14.5 thingy or whatever that was while watching it)
Jan 30, 2013 4:15 PM

Feb 2010
phantom requiem of a phantom i don't exactly dislike it but i find it kind of average and the story gets bland near the end and some how one grows up but the others don't look any old O_o

gundam 00 one word MEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHH! (goes back to watching turn A and zz gundam)

code geass: season 2 my good the plot vanished down the drain some how every one becomes stupid near the end -.-

bleach and naurto for all its hype i thought it would be good what do i get? 15 min of staring eye contest... per fight in an episode.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jan 30, 2013 4:24 PM

Oct 2012
I had high expections for Elfen lied because of its huge hype, but it turned out to be a big disappointment.
Jan 30, 2013 5:07 PM

Aug 2012
Eureka Seven AO, Sword Art Online, Clannad, eh. some others.
Jan 30, 2013 5:13 PM

Jul 2012
Shakugan no Shana III
הלב שלי כבר מת
Jan 30, 2013 6:28 PM

Aug 2011
AHEM SAO
Jan 30, 2013 6:34 PM

Jul 2011
NGE
K
Mushishi
more recent Sasamisan@Gan w/e
Jan 30, 2013 6:40 PM

Oct 2012
yhunata said:

Monster: When I first read the synopsis, I figured it would be an awesome anime. I was disappointed to find out I didn't like it at all.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu: It is so talked about, I could not think how I could not like it. In the end, I fell asleep all three times I tried to force myself into watching it.

Yeah, with Monster it was like there was always good suspense, but it NEVER led to anything interesting in the end.

Suzumiya Haruhi was just another random, not funny or amusing anime to me. Seems like there's a lot of those. Didn't laugh or feel a sense of adventure.

Jan 31, 2013 12:01 AM

Sep 2012
Sword Art Online: The plot synopsis and first episode really got my hopes up. In the end I was highly disappointed.

Toaru Majutsu no Index: Really interesting concept but then turned into an episodic anime.

Darker than Black: Exactly the same as Toaru

Shinsekai yori: Watched 6 episodes and still don't see the 'amazing plot' it supposedly has. Really interesting plot synopsis also got me disappointed.
Jan 31, 2013 3:49 PM

May 2010
Paranoia Agent - When I first read about it, it seemed super interesting. Unfortunately it turned out to be one of the most boring anime series I've seen so far.

Death Note - My friend kept telling me how awesome this anime is, and because of it's popularity and hype, I thought I'd love it. It was really lame, to be honest. There was a couple of episodes in the middle that were good, but that's pretty much it.

Ai Mai Mi - Laugh all you want, I was actually really excited for this (I can't even remember why). I don't even know what's going on.

Little Busters! - I loved Angel Beats and Clannad, so I thought I'd like this one as well. It has it's good parts, but mostly it's just boring. I wouldn't call it bad, though.

Ergo Proxy - I haven't finished this one yet, I'm about halfway through. So far it's been really hard to pay attention to what's going on, I haven't understood half of what's been happening.

Princess Tutu - I loved it, but the ending did disappoint me a little.
CauliflowerFeb 3, 2013 2:25 PM
Jan 31, 2013 10:42 PM

Mar 2011
Kanon. I enjoyed Clannad, I really did, and I had hoped Kanon would be just as good... I was very wrong.
Jan 31, 2013 10:59 PM

Dec 2012
Hazuki10 said:
Kanon. I enjoyed Clannad, I really did, and I had hoped Kanon would be just as good... I was very wrong.

I dropped Kanon a long time ago after the first episode due to losing interest in the fighting game Eternal Fighter Zero. I couldn't even resort to the three episode rule.
Feb 1, 2013 1:35 AM

Aug 2012
I was seriously hyped to watch Macross Frontier, Yoko Kanno with epic space battles come on, but I was seriously disappointed with it mostly due to shitty characterization of the mains.

And ya, SAO was like a punch to the face because people had hyped it up as THE fantasy epic anime, but well, reality hit.
Feb 1, 2013 2:37 AM

Oct 2012
PUTUUUM!
Feb 1, 2013 2:46 AM

Mar 2012
E_chan said:
Most recent one was arcana famiglia. Went into it thinking it would be an action series, ended up being very much the opposite.

That anime was hilariously mis-advertised. It advertised itself as a shonen series with characters with mysterious powers. However, the anime seemed to go out of its way to not show everyone using their powers and tried to have as little action as possible. I actually lol'd at the last episode when...

You could really tell this was made from a VN...the writers had no idea what the hell they were doing and half-assed everything.

That series sucked epically and I would've put it on my list...but I didn't have the highest of expectations going into it.
Feb 1, 2013 3:16 AM

Sep 2012
Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Madoka Magica.

Although I didn't dislike them, I actually enjoyed them but the hype surrounding the three shows made me wonder why it got that much attention in the first place.

For actual shows I found disappointing, Amnesia and Arcana Famiglia
Feb 1, 2013 3:31 AM

Aug 2011
Steins gate, when I read the synopsis, it was like the most ridiculous thing ever, I mean time traveling microwaves? makes no sense at all

The first few episodes are also a mindfuck for me, kurisu dying and coming back to life, events repeating itself if I had know less I would've dropped the anime

Turns out its a masterpiece
kek
Feb 1, 2013 4:12 AM

Mar 2012
SAO
K
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Feb 1, 2013 4:31 AM
Oct 2012
Wow easy answer. School Days(didn't expect to see what I saw at all) although I didn't dislike it, it's just that it traumatized me a little bit.
Feb 1, 2013 5:33 AM

Sep 2012
im4eversmart said:
Steins gate, when I read the synopsis, it was like the most ridiculous thing ever, I mean time traveling microwaves? makes no sense at all

The first few episodes are also a mindfuck for me, kurisu dying and coming back to life, events repeating itself if I had know less I would've dropped the anime

Turns out its a masterpiece

But that's the opposite of this topic.
Feb 1, 2013 6:35 AM
Jan 2013
Mirai Nikki, really hard to watch.
lMIClFeb 1, 2013 6:54 AM
Feb 1, 2013 8:46 AM

May 2010
Code Geass
Inuyasha
Macross 7
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Najica Blitz Tatics
Sailor Moon-R and SuperS are the worst, the latter killed what was left of my nostalgic value of the series since it was my gateway anime.
Silent Mobius
Urusei Yatsura TV
kanon-chanFeb 3, 2013 1:28 PM
Feb 1, 2013 10:25 AM

Mar 2011
RGM2013 said:
Hazuki10 said:

I dropped Kanon a long time ago after the first episode due to losing interest in the fighting game Eternal Fighter Zero. I couldn't even resort to the three episode rule.

Wish I has done the same xD I had this naive thought that it would get better, but in the end I just thought: 'screw it!' and watched it for the lulz =P
Feb 1, 2013 10:50 AM
Dec 2011
I try to to get my expectations too high, but I guess NGE would fall into this category. As much as I love physiological anime, I just could not bring myself to care about any of the characters. Too much self pity.
Feb 1, 2013 11:10 AM

Jun 2011
I recently finally got around to watching Full metal panic (first season) all i ever hear when a new anime is announced "why no new fmp anime" "this crap instead of fmp?" and people say how good fmp is. All i can say is full metal panic's first season was a let down and overhyped, the best arc was the first one the rest were a let down.

I will watch second raid and fumoffu soon i heard the second season is better and fumoffu is funny. Not like i hated the first season but it was a let down.
Othinus
Touma
Pairing

http://hestia.dance/
Feb 1, 2013 11:10 AM

Aug 2012
Guilty Crown, tough the animation and sound is amazing.
Feb 1, 2013 11:18 AM

Feb 2010
The Tatami Galaxy.

The visuals and zany OP told me I was in for something different. I wanted each timeline to show us something different for its characters or even the way story unfolded. But I didn't get any of that. I got the same thing over and over. Some people might say such was the whole point but when your protagonist is actively aware of resetting each timeline then I'm actually amazed at how he kept his actions similar enough to let the story unfold identically albeit in a different setting.

It's the most crushingly disappointing anime I've ever watched.

(Dis)honorable mention for Pale Cocoon. At least I knew to lower my expectations since I was hyped from watching Time of Eve. Otherwise it doesn't have the excuse of being earlier in Yoshiura's career because Aquatic Language at least made sense of itself. If there's one thing I can't stand in anime, it's the pretentious undertones of shows that throw random things together and seriously want the viewer to think when there's no question to answer. And my God Pale Cocoon is obfuscating for the sake it.
Kyouko_AyaseFeb 1, 2013 11:27 AM
Feb 1, 2013 5:48 PM

Sep 2010
Hmm, Hellsing maybe, Code Geass dissapointed me to.
Feb 1, 2013 9:10 PM

Jan 2013
Clannad, the first season. After the hype around it, I watched it. By the time the series ended, I was honestly bored.

After Story, however, was really good. Despite being bored in Clannad, it set a good context for After Story and it made up for it.
Feb 1, 2013 10:56 PM

Jan 2011
SAO... I haven't not finished it yet, on episode 19..

I think the first arc ends at 15. I am so angry on how the storyline has become....
Be humble or be humbled.
Feb 1, 2013 11:48 PM

Oct 2012
Oh boy .Several

Corpose princess
Cowboy bebop
A certain magial index
sword art online
guilty crown
cassern sins

Feb 1, 2013 11:53 PM
Nov 2012
TTGL.

I'll maybe give it another shot in the future, but I rarely dislike any anime so it was weird how I just couldn't stand it.

Vividred is pretty cheesy at the moment too, but I'm enjoying the fights.
Feb 2, 2013 3:23 AM

Mar 2012
MrBattosai said:

I think the first arc ends at 15. I am so angry on how the storyline has become....

Trust me, it only goes downhill from there...
Feb 2, 2013 3:50 AM

Oct 2012
MrBattosai said:

Feb 3, 2013 2:32 AM

Nov 2012
Bakemonogatari/Nisemonogatari for some reason, the Dialogue drags long and I mean really long, that they don't stay focus on the arc's character because of this. (Gintama kinda done this too in some episodes but it's alot of fun to watch)

also, Blue Exorcist for some reason.
Feb 3, 2013 9:22 AM

May 2012
Eden of the East: It started off great and has a strong-ish romance in the midst of all things, but it just ended up being a big fluke imo.
Slicer22 said:

I will watch second raid and fumoffu soon i heard the second season is better and fumoffu is funny. Not like i hated the first season but it was a let down.

Season 1 is definitely inconsistent and the least best (dont want to say 'worst' lol) but it's mostly world building and character introductions. Thank god KyoAni took over for Fumoffu and TSR which is some of the best anime ever! WATCH IT
Feb 3, 2013 9:55 AM

Dec 2012
Guilty Crown.
Mainly due of the main character.
Feb 3, 2013 11:09 AM

Apr 2009
Something I dropped:
Area no Kishi - I went in thinking it'd be like Giant Killing, ended up ragequitting at ep 4. Face/palmed so hard watching that show.

Something I completed:
Tenshi na Konamaiki - First off, the series is entirely too long for a comedic show, and while it had a handful of okay episodes (and one very good one), most of the time it was just recycling its themes over and over again. The initial setting was one of those wth, that sounds silly, and I thought they'd succeed to do something fun with it, but aside from the few episodes that directly moved the main plot along, it was not very enjoyable. I did get some laughs out of it tho and so it was not all bad :)
Feb 3, 2013 11:29 AM

Jan 2012
Nope. None.

Every anime I've ever watched met or exceeded my expectations.
Feb 3, 2013 11:33 AM

Sep 2011
Guilty Crown. We all thought it would be great!
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Feb 3, 2013 11:38 AM

Sep 2011
IcecreamManwich said:
Eden of the East: It started off great and has a strong-ish romance in the midst of all things, but it just ended up being a big fluke imo.
Slicer22 said:

Season 1 is definitely inconsistent and the least best (dont want to say 'worst' lol) but it's mostly world building and character introductions. Thank god KyoAni took over for Fumoffu and TSR which is some of the best anime ever! WATCH IT

Cant agree more on Eden, and i guess ill watch Fmp

Oh, LEGEND OF GALATIC HEROES most overrated series on this site, shit animation was just unbearable

WATNING BUTTHURT FANBOYS COMING!!M!!!!!
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Feb 4, 2013 10:03 PM

Nov 2012
I can think of two off by heart so far that I thought I would like first one was Kuroshitsuji ( Black Butler) it was alright but unfortunately I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would the second one would be Naruto SD I can tell you that I am a huge naruto fan but this was just really odd for me I honestly didn't know how I felt about all of the characters being in chibi form yes it was cute but very odd and I also dont know how I feel about rock Lee being the main character this anime was just plane odd
Feb 4, 2013 10:17 PM

Oct 2012
Virtual_BS said:
Nope. None.

Every anime I've ever watched met or exceeded my expectations.

lies
RRRRRRRRRR
Feb 4, 2013 10:55 PM
Feb 2012
Witch Hunter Robin. I thought it'd be some kind of mystery thriller like Ghost in the Shell but it just felt boring the entire time.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Digitalization of the modern world and anime

RobertBobert - 7 hours ago

24 by RobertBobert »»
2 minutes ago

» Best Mean score to say that you enjoy anime? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Apr 8

78 by DarkShame2 »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » What makes you rewatch an anime

nishant0 - Apr 5

31 by Eleben »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think 3-episode reviews are valid? ( 1 2 )

GoatPieceLuffy - Apr 29

56 by monsta666 »»
6 minutes ago

» Best black haired girl? ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - Jan 25

60 by shin0by »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.