Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 14, 2013 5:28 AM
Jan 2012
What is maturity? What does it mean to be mature?
It is my hope that examination of this thread will answer these questions.
TheOttocratJan 14, 2013 10:21 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 14, 2013 5:30 AM

Mar 2011
Maturity is quite a lot of things, self restraint, pretending you don't have a puerile sense of humour, acting less on whims among many other things.
Jan 14, 2013 5:33 AM
Jan 2012
InfiniteRyvius said:
Maturity is quite a lot of things, self restraint, pretending you don't have a puerile sense of humour, acting less on whims among many other things.

So you are saying that it is merely behaviour to be learned rather than an automated state of growth?
Jan 14, 2013 5:34 AM

Jan 2011
I think the best way to put it is assuming responsibility for your life and actions... that means thinking beforehand and being capable of assesing your own mistakes. That means not blaming others for your mistakes. Also being able to solve your own problems... and not expect others to clean your sh*t.
Jan 14, 2013 5:34 AM

Mar 2011
TheAutocrat said:
InfiniteRyvius said:

So you are saying that it is merely behaviour to be learned rather than an automated state of growth?

Not really, I was joking slightly. That's only acting mature.

Though self restraint is a key component of being mature.
Jan 14, 2013 5:36 AM
Jan 2012
tykeros said:
I think the best way to put it is assuming responsibility for your life and actions... that means thinking beforehand and being capable of assesing your own mistakes. That means not blaming others for your mistakes. Also eing able to solve your own problems... and not expect others to clean your sh*t.

So maturity is merely an idea, an informal law of conduct. Aren't maturity and self-actualisation synonymous?
Jan 14, 2013 5:40 AM

Jan 2011
TheAutocrat said:

So maturity is merely an idea, an informal law of conduct. Aren't maturity and self-actualisation synonymous?

Imo maturity is just a paradigm the result of need for some people to validate their superiority over others... thus claiming they have an extra abilty (called maturity :P)
Jan 14, 2013 5:42 AM
Jan 2012
InfiniteRyvius said:
TheAutocrat said:
InfiniteRyvius said:

Not really, I was joking slightly. That's only acting mature.

Though self restraint is a key component of being mature.

You mean acting according to the conventional idea of maturity. But what is true maturity?
Thinking and instinct are antonymous. Self-restraint is not acting on instinct. Self-restraint is thinking. It is logical to the end of good. Thus intelligence is a major component of maturity, yes?
TheOttocratJan 14, 2013 5:45 AM
Jan 14, 2013 5:58 AM

Sep 2009
TheAutocrat said:

Wikipedia said:

In psychology, maturity is the ability to respond to the environment in an appropriate manner. This response is generally learned rather than instinctive, and is not determined by one's age. Maturity also encompasses being aware of the correct time and place to behave and knowing when to act appropriately, according to the circumstances and the culture of the society one lives in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maturity_(psychological)

Maturity is learned behaviour because what constitutes mature behaviour is dependent on the standards of the society in which you grow up.

If it was an automated state of growth, then it would presumably be in accordance with age. Wikipedia states this is not the case explicitly, and that should in fact be obvious from everyday experience. People often say things like "She is mature for her age" or "He still acts like a kid". How can such observations make sense if maturity is an automated process?
AnnoKanoJan 14, 2013 6:04 AM
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Jan 14, 2013 6:09 AM

Feb 2012
TheAutocrat said:
What is maturity? What does it mean to be mature?
It is my hope that examination of this thread will answer these questions.

A better understanding of one's given environment (in general human cases, being on planet Earth) and acquiring skills, whether it's wisdom, social, or attitude towards situations, geared towards an increase in overall survivability.
"I will close my eyes and let the darkness be the light that guides me through the path of chaos"

Call me the Jelly Factory. I'm the world's largest producer of jelly.
Jan 14, 2013 6:14 AM
Jan 2012
AnnoKano said:
TheAutocrat said:

Wikipedia said:

In psychology, maturity is the ability to respond to the environment in an appropriate manner. This response is generally learned rather than instinctive, and is not determined by one's age. Maturity also encompasses being aware of the correct time and place to behave and knowing when to act appropriately, according to the circumstances and the culture of the society one lives in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maturity_(psychological)

Maturity is learned behaviour because what constitutes mature behaviour is dependent on the standards of the society in which you grow up.

If it was an automated state of growth, then it would presumably be in accordance with age. Wikipedia states this is not the case explicitly, and that should in fact be obvious from everyday experience. People often say things like "She is mature for her age" or "He still acts like a kid". How can such observations make sense if maturity is an automated process?

Ack Anno, where have you been? (Where have I been?) But anyway, keep posting, oh yeah, and mind tackle what I said on your thread in the freemasons.
Anyway it seems you've grasped onto superficiality with this one. There are certainly natural changes in ones mind as he grows up. But maturity is an issue that could even justify relationships with people half your age, especially if what separates us is superficialities in a correspondingly mature case of two people, or a case which involves maturity disorder.

On a side note, how is your empathy with the Scottish working class coming? That is a mature feat.
TheOttocratJan 14, 2013 6:26 AM
Jan 14, 2013 6:26 AM

Oct 2009
Maturity is the capability to endure uncertainty.

"Maturity consists of no longer being taken in by oneself."
Jan 14, 2013 6:28 AM

Oct 2009
tykeros said:
TheAutocrat said:

Imo maturity is just a paradigm the result of need for some people to validate their superiority over others... thus claiming they have an extra abilty (called maturity :P)

lol no
Jan 14, 2013 6:29 AM

Oct 2009
So basically maturity equals to social acceptance?
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Jan 14, 2013 6:30 AM

Oct 2009
azzuRe said:
So basically maturity equals to social acceptance?

no it does not lol...
Jan 14, 2013 7:43 AM

Jan 2011
When you've a stable job for 5 years and had at least 2 kids.
Jan 14, 2013 7:46 AM
Mar 2012
If you are mature, you are looking further than the glass of water in your hand, where is it coming from, why do we drink, who made it, by figure of speech of course. Being mature could be seen as conforming to the social standards of society, but I don't think so. Immatureness is obviously the polar opposite, things like:
"1. Hyperactive
2. Impulsive
3. Short-attention-span-distracted
4. Silly-clowning
5. Daydreaming
6. Messy-sloppy
7. Time-used-poorly
8. Selfish-self-centered
9. Overdependent and Whining-Complaining
"
Source: http://common-problems.blogspot.nl/2009/03/immature-behaviors.html
If these are almost non-existent then you are on a good road of being a more mature person.

To take a look at things in more depth and have a better understanding of various situations, social or in your work environment. Being mature is not a choice, you become it or you keep being childish, sure, you can have bursts of maturity. But a kid will be a kid, and an adult will also stay an adult.
Jan 14, 2013 7:51 AM

Sep 2012
Maturity is simply knowing how to act in a given situation that is generally acceptable to society.
Jan 14, 2013 9:02 AM
Jan 2012
Red_Keys said:
Maturity is simply knowing how to act in a given situation that is generally acceptable to society.

Yeah I agree with that, but LOL. Our society "accepts" such incompetence from the human race and dares call that mature behaviour?
That is so Ironic. What happened to our Humanity? What happened to our virtue? What happened to our strength...?
Our elitism was our overwhelming power. We could have been being watched by an alien species this whole time, who could have been held at bay by weariness of our intelligence.
This is the age of machine...
There was a time where we were how so powerful! It was the ages of enlightenment and wisdom, it is a glimpse of Nietzsche's ultimate truth.
Do you say my brother that you read Nietzsche's words and yet you see the polar opposite of what they say. The limit philosopher of a modernity that never ends. They say not that the absolute nihilist depiction of our world was what he tried to convey. No my brother...
Underneath his seductive charm I saw an equal. That charm that makes the truth seem so elusive. I seen all the answers on how to evolve mankind thanks to friend. Indeed what ever happened to the foundations of our values. Equality is the foundations of our friendship, but modesty and humility has long since undermined our humanity. Elitism is not weakness. It is not comfort, nor the disease called lax. It is survival of the fittest, and evolution. The time has long come for us to stop undermining our peoples potential. If you were to draw a graph of our intelligence evolution, it would curve from the bottom right up to point where there is nor vertical ascension or regression. This graph will then perpetuate at (x,0). That is mankind's machine minded and machine hearted fate. Our evolution requires both sides of the coin don't you see that! What happened to our instinct to survive as a race. This is the age of power and Dictatorship.
Dictatorship has never been tried in a rich society dictated by a meta-objectively good system and person - Don't worry, that encompasses and encapsulates all the good things someone highly educated and perceptive like Anno would believe. We must defend mankind's future, we must evolve and truly we can say we have the balls to do something basic like truly believe in god as a society and truly try to deny him at the same time. Fearful misguided sheep.
End of story.
TheOttocratJan 14, 2013 9:05 AM
Jan 14, 2013 9:05 AM

Sep 2012
TheAutocrat said:
Red_Keys said:

Yeah I agree with that, but LOL. Our society "accepts" such incompetence from the human race and dares call that mature behaviour?
That is so Ironic. What happened to our Humanity? What happened to our virtue? What happened to our strength...?
Our elitism was our overwhelming power. We could have been being watched by an alien species this whole time, who could have been held at bay by weariness of our intelligence.
There was a time where we were how so powerful! It was the ages of enlightenment and wisdom, it is a glimpse of Nietzsche's ultimate truth.
Do you say my brother that you read Nietzsche's words and yet you see the polar opposite of what they say. The limit philosopher of a modernity that never ends. They say not that the absolute nihilist depiction of our world was what he tried to convey. No my brother...
Underneath his seductive charm I saw an equal. That charm that makes the truth seem so elusive. I seen all the answers on how to evolve mankind thanks to friend Indeed what ever happened to the foundations of our values. Equality is the foundations of our friendship, but modesty and humility has long since undermined our humanity. Elitism is not weakness. It is not comfort, nor the disease called lax. It is survival of the fittest, and evolution. The time has long come for us to stop undermining our peoples potential. If you were to draw a graph of our intelligence evolution, it would curve from the bottom right up to point where there is nor vertical ascension or regression. This graph will then perpetuate at (x,0). That is mankind's machine minded and machine hearted fate. Our evolution requires both sides of the coin don't you see that! What happened to our instinct to survive as a race. This is the age of power and Dictatorship.
Dictatorship has never been tried in a rich society dictated by a meta-objectively good system and person - Don't worry, that encompasses and encapsulates all the good things someone highly educated and perceptive like Anno would believe. We must defend mankind's future, we must evolve and truly we can say we have the balls to do something basic like truly believe in god as a society and truly try to deny him at the same time. Fearful misguided sheep.
End of story.
You high or something?
Jan 14, 2013 9:06 AM

Apr 2012
What do you want to discuss Autocrat...?

Because asking what is maturity will give you like, the same type of answers.

Also, maturity and dictatorship, what? WUT IS DIS THRD?
Red_Keys said:

You high or something?

Nah, he's always like this...

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Jan 14, 2013 9:06 AM
Jan 2012
Red_Keys said:
TheAutocrat said:
Red_Keys said:

Underneath his seductive charm I saw an equal. That charm that makes the truth seem so elusive. I seen all the answers on how to evolve mankind thanks to friend Indeed what ever happened to the foundations of our values. Equality is the foundations of our friendship, but modesty and humility has long since undermined our humanity. Elitism is not weakness. It is not comfort, nor the disease called lax. It is survival of the fittest, and evolution. The time has long come for us to stop undermining our peoples potential. If you were to draw a graph of our intelligence evolution, it would curve from the bottom right up to point where there is nor vertical ascension or regression. This graph will then perpetuate at (x,0). That is mankind's machine minded and machine hearted fate. Our evolution requires both sides of the coin don't you see that! What happened to our instinct to survive as a race. This is the age of power and Dictatorship.
End of story.
You high or something?

Oh just acknowledge it already.
Jan 14, 2013 9:16 AM

Sep 2012
TheAutocrat said:

Acknowledged..
Jan 14, 2013 9:19 AM
Jan 2012
What is your point?
Jan 14, 2013 9:19 AM

Apr 2012
Red_Keys said:
TheAutocrat said:

Acknowledged..

Pfffftttt, this is a hit below the belt.
TheAutocrat said:
What is your point?

Autocrat said:
Jan 14, 2013 9:21 AM
Jan 2012
@Red-Keys: If you cannot challenge what I say don't waste my time with your pointlessness.
Jan 14, 2013 9:25 AM

Sep 2012
TheAutocrat said:
@Red-Keys: If you cannot challenge what I say don't waste my time with your jokes.
You are wasting your own time, as I am not forcing you to participate on this site. Take that for maturity.

Your rambling gave the impression that you were on some sort of hallucinatory drug. Maybe I missed the point, because it was buried in so much nonsense fluff.
Jan 14, 2013 9:27 AM

Apr 2012
You lost me when you started talking about aliens.
Jan 14, 2013 9:32 AM

Apr 2012
TheAutocrat said:
@Red-Keys: If you cannot challenge what I say don't waste my time with your pointlessness.

Challenge what you say...? What is there to challenge?

Autocrat said:
Jan 14, 2013 9:33 AM
Jan 2012
Red_Keys said:
TheAutocrat said:
@Red-Keys: If you cannot challenge what I say don't waste my time with your jokes.
You are wasting your own time, as I am not forcing you to participate on this site. Take that for maturity.

Your rambling gave the impression that you were on some sort of hallucinatory drug. Maybe I missed the point, because it was buried in so much nonsense fluff.

*sigh*

Terrible attempt to criticize. You attack the person who wrote it and not the argument itself. That is highly fallacious.

mascarpone said:
You lost me when you started talking about aliens.

*sigh*
Jan 14, 2013 9:35 AM

Feb 2010
Immaturity is when you need to ask questions like this. Maturity is when you acknowledge that you're never grown-up.
Jan 14, 2013 9:37 AM

Sep 2012
TheAutocrat said:
*sigh*

Terrible attempt to criticize. You attack the person who wrote it and not the argument itself. That is highly fallacious.
Your "argument" made no sense. And since I do not know you, the only thing I can judge you on is your writing itself. So try again.

And if anything's fallacious, it's the fact that I asked you to clarify, and you avoided doing so.
Jan 14, 2013 9:39 AM

Dec 2011
Maturity is when a person doesn't act too absurd.
Jan 14, 2013 9:43 AM
Dec 2012
So maturity is merely an idea, an informal law of conduct.

^ Right on the spot.
Jan 14, 2013 9:46 AM

Apr 2012
"Highly fallacious"... Hahahaha, really?

You're being ambiguous with your argument, it makes no sense whatsoever, it seems you did not learn anything after all this.

Autocrat said:
Jan 14, 2013 9:54 AM

Mar 2011
Akito_Kinomoto said:
Immaturity is when you need to ask questions like this. Maturity is when you acknowledge that you're never grown-up.

Although I'll give you kudos for the poetic nature of what you said, it's just wrong.
Jan 14, 2013 10:17 AM

Sep 2011
I've always thought that maturity was more about being responsible than having wisdom or not being silly.
Jan 14, 2013 10:21 AM
Jan 2012
This is absurd people. Can't mankind grasp at a profound idea anymore?
I should have posted this in another thread but I did not want it losing its spontaneous and rhetorical value.

A bit more on topic, and picture yourself a lot younger but with all the intellectual knowledge you have now. What would separate us? This thing called maturity.
Jan 14, 2013 10:32 AM

Apr 2012
I don't see how improving our way of responding to environment might interfere with your "intellectual knowledge".

Autocrat said:
Jan 14, 2013 10:34 AM

Apr 2012
Maturity is gay.
Jan 14, 2013 10:35 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
In general, the point in the development of something that can "grow" in some way when it finishes it's juvenile stage(s).

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Jan 14, 2013 10:40 AM

May 2009
Maturity sometimes comes with adulthood.
Jan 14, 2013 10:47 AM
Jun 2008
To me, maturity means to be civil in any given situation.
Jan 14, 2013 12:20 PM
Jan 2012
If people are going to act so rearded I can stop being polite and start dismissing smugly narrow minded and ignorant peoples messages. Upon further disgraceful and stupid behavior I may psychoanalyse you or start to paint you as the failures of a uncontrolled free society that most free (misguided) sheep are. Remember, it is okay you are not a genius like me. You were not brought up to work hard, and that is not your parents fault, it is societies. It is a matter of fact I am considerably more knowledgable in unconventional and obscure ideas. I am one hundred percent individual and perceive truth clearly.
Unless I have power over subhumans It is impossible to rectify your stupidity.
Argh it is so frustrating being the only person above Neitzsche. There are more but you'll usually just find Sheep like Anno who is bias from the truth due to his feelings and insignificance. He chose that. His sesnses guide him falsely and he walks a path downwards in life. Highly talented and educated but a fool.

Nobody understands anything of their personal perspective on maturity here beyond two lines (Remember people you should NOT take for granted established knowledge and customs are best), which is quite dissapointing as it's quite rare for people to adequitely answer my important questions.

I will post my profound speech together in an essay eventually but do you all fear denying and believing in god at the same time that you would cover this fact with anarchism and "aetheism"? Everybody needs faith regardless. Actually I was giving undeserving credit, I was criticising the creators. Do you all fear not being guided? The uncontrolled state of democracy we live in offers you illusions and appeasement. I offer you truth and power.
Jan 14, 2013 12:25 PM

Sep 2012
TheAutocrat said:
If people are going to act so rearded I can stop being polite and start dismissing smugly narrow minded and ignorant peoples messages. Upon further disgraceful and stupid behavior I may psychoanalyse you or start to paint you as the failures of a uncontrolled free society that most free (misguided) sheep are. Remember, it is okay you are not a genius like me. You were not brought up to work hard, and that is not your parents fault, it is societies. It is a matter of fact I am considerably more knowledgable in unconventional and obscure ideas. I am one hundred percent individual and perceive truth clearly.
Argh it is so frustrating being the only person above Neitzsche. There are more but you'll usually just find Sheep like Anno who is bias from the truth due to his feelings and insignificance. He chose that. His sesnses guide him falsely and he walks a path downwards in life. Highly talented and educated but a fool.

Nobody understands anything of their personal perspective on maturity here beyond two lines (Remember people you should NOT take for granted established knowledge and customs are best), which is quite dissapointing as it's quite rare for people to adequitely answer my important questions.

I will post my profound speech together in an essay eventually but do you all fear denying and believing in god at the same time that you would cover this fact with anarchism and "aetheism"? Everybody needs faith regardless. Actually I was giving undeserving credit, I was criticising the creators. Do you all fear not being guided? The uncontrolled state of democracy we live in offers you illusions and appeasement. I offer you truth and power.

Fix your grammar if you're so intelligent.
Jan 14, 2013 12:31 PM
Jan 2012
Red_Keys said:
TheAutocrat said:

Fix your grammar if you're so intelligent.

That makes no sense.
Jan 14, 2013 12:32 PM

Sep 2012
TheAutocrat said:
That makes no sense.
You are boasting intelligence. Yet your poor grammar says otherwise.
Jan 14, 2013 12:37 PM
Jan 2012
Red_Keys said:
TheAutocrat said:
That makes no sense.

No it does not. Now stop wasting both our times because I'm right/smart and you are wong/dumb. There are a million things I could criticize that one question for. Now show me some fucking respect.
Jan 14, 2013 12:40 PM

Apr 2012
TheAutocrat said:
Remember, it is okay you are not a genius like me.

It is a matter of fact I am considerably more knowledgable in unconventional and obscure ideas.

I am one hundred percent individual and perceive truth clearly.

You'll usually just find Sheep like Anno who is bias from the truth due to his feelings and insignificance. He chose that. His sesnses guide him falsely and he walks a path downwards in life. Highly talented and educated but a fool.

Here's how you boast your intelligence while failing hard, mostly on being really ambiguous and with your really nice ideas. Not only that, your question is "What is maturity?", and we gave you the definition of maturity as how it is at the moment.

You want more? You want to actually discuss about it?

Change your OP and asks us other questions, give us YOUR definition of maturity, then debates will flourish.

UNTIL THEN, you'll get one liners explaining how much you fail at logic.

Also, ignoring people is quite low.

Autocrat said:
Jan 14, 2013 12:49 PM

Sep 2012
TheAutocrat said:
Red_Keys said:
TheAutocrat said:
That makes no sense.

No it does not. Now stop wasting both our times because I'm right/smart and you are wong/dumb. There are a million things I could criticize that one question for. Now show me some fucking respect.
You're rather cheeky. And immature. And I don't see how I'm wasting anybody's time but my own. As I have already stated, you are voluntarily reading and responding to my posts. If you don't want to waste your time, then don't fucking read it. You have nobody to blame but yourself. You seem to lack basic reading comprehension skills.

If you have a point, simplify it into a single sentence. What is your thesis, to say. Fluffy language is nothing but a mask to hide unintelligence and vagueness. Be concise. I shouldn't have to decipher your posts just to find your main idea. "Brevity is the soul of wit", and you seem to be lacking wit.

So far, you have done nothing to earn my respect.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

857 by zzz »»
28 minutes ago

» When did you first experience heartbreak in a romantic sense?

MeanMrMusician - Jun 4

35 by Zarutaku »»
41 minutes ago

» Has anyone here tried learning an artificial language?

Malkshake - Yesterday

8 by traed »»
57 minutes ago

» What does your username mean? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

91 by hell_angelicx »»
1 hour ago

» What is one thing your country is famous for that you wish it wasn't ( 1 2 )

MadanielFL - Mar 31, 2023

72 by bucciest »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.