Whom do you like better?
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 9, 2013 12:05 AM

Oct 2011
TF I thought I voted on this poll. I guess not. I chose Sugu because boobs
Jan 9, 2013 3:11 AM

Aug 2009
TitanAnteus said:
The author just wanted to write a character that was popular with girls through what he perceives as an ideal personality or his version of the Gary Stu.

Asuna becoming damsel in distress was to be expected. Kirito is the main character and it was the best reason the author could come up with to put him into another game.
Why include sugu? Because it's an mmo and a community thing so he wanted to keep that vibe. Who else to be the travel partner but a hot girl he can't date because incest.

1#They are not Gary Stu
2#So I guess Asuna is a damsel in distress in the next 2-3 arc/games right?
3#Because he was willing to date all the other girls right?(excluding Sachi)
Jan 9, 2013 12:50 PM

Jan 2013
ssjokg said:
TitanAnteus said:
The author just wanted to write a character that was popular with girls through what he perceives as an ideal personality or his version of the Gary Stu.

Asuna becoming damsel in distress was to be expected. Kirito is the main character and it was the best reason the author could come up with to put him into another game.
Why include sugu? Because it's an mmo and a community thing so he wanted to keep that vibe. Who else to be the travel partner but a hot girl he can't date because incest.

1#They are not Gary Stu

Kirito is a Gary Stu.

...I'm just talking about the anime here.

What? I just said the author wanted to have a community vibe because it's an MMO and he likes choosing girls as part of that community. If there's anything to be said from that third statement it'd be the reverse. All the other girls were willing to date him(including sachi)
Jan 9, 2013 1:03 PM

Jun 2009
For those 2?

Easily Sugu.

But both of them combine and they still won't touch Sachi.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 9, 2013 1:29 PM

Aug 2009
TitanAnteus said:
ssjokg said:
TitanAnteus said:

1#They are not Gary Stu

Kirito is a Gary Stu.

...I'm just talking about the anime here.

What? I just said the author wanted to have a community vibe because it's an MMO and he likes choosing girls as part of that community. If there's anything to be said from that third statement it'd be the reverse. All the other girls were willing to date him(including sachi)

1.Gary Stu is a FLAWLESS character and ALL the characters in SAO,especially Kirito, have flaws.If you give him the Gary Stu label because he was in the top of both games while ignoring his mistakes,trauma, overconfidence then ok.Every char in every anime is a Gary Stu if we do that.

2."Asuna becoming damsel in distress was to be expected. Kirito is the main character and it was the best reason the author could come up with to put him into another game."

Anime or LN it is the same story(mostly).Clearly the writer had more reasons for Kirito to enter another game.

3.You said that he cant date Sugu because of incest.He wouldnt date any other girl except Asuna OR Sachi if she was alive since she was his first love.
And no.Kirito had feelings for Sachi as stated by the writer himself.For Sachi he was someone that could protect her.Feeling safe=/=love.She showed no signs of love in the original SAO.That may change in SAO:Progressive.And no not all girls want to date him.Asuna,Liz,Sugu and maybe Sinon were the only ones till now.
Jan 9, 2013 1:35 PM

Aug 2012
There could be more options; at least ''none'' and ''both'' . I don't dislike Suguha, that ''incest'' thing for me is bs. I don't dislike Asuna either, all depends how the things turn out.
Jan 9, 2013 1:59 PM

Apr 2009
ssjokg said:

1.Gary Stu is a FLAWLESS character and ALL the characters in SAO,especially Kirito, have flaws.If you give him the Gary Stu label because he was in the top of both games while ignoring his mistakes,trauma, overconfidence then ok.Every char in every anime is a Gary Stu if we do that.

You do know that Gary Stu's can have weaknesses on the story level, right? All that matters is that the weaknesses they have are only an excuse, as they are not used at all in story progression and on meta level. A common example for a typical Mary/Gary Stu weakness would be the typical "Oh, I'm so clumsy!" said character proclaims, but which is never utilized in a story as the character always succeeds in such situation against the most uneven odds. Sure, a lot of non-Stu's have such a character arc as well, but usually that goes ahnd in ahnd with a lot of character development, sacrifices on their part and other devices that justify it.
And at least in the anime Kirito's "flaws" hardly hinder his progress.He sure helps out a lot of people despite being "anti-social", for example. Even his arrogance, the most prominent flaw, is never really portrayed as a weakness on the meta level because there is ALWAYS someone who helps him out by suprise healing/reviving him/other random plot devices. The intention is obvious: Kirito's flaw should not be shown. After all, he is a blank slate for self-insertion and both the author and the staff do not want the pitiful creatures who want to be in Kirito's shoes feel uneasy.
NidhoeggrJan 9, 2013 2:05 PM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jan 9, 2013 2:04 PM

Aug 2009
Nidhoeggr said:
ssjokg said:

You do know that Gary Stu's can have weaknesses on the story level, right? All that matters is that the weaknesses they have are only an excuse, as they do not matter in the story at all. A common example for a typical Mary/Gary Stu weakness would be the typical "Oh, I'm so clumsy!" said character proclaims, but which is never utilized in a story. And at least in the anime Kirito's flaws hardly hinder his progress.He sure helps out a lot of people despite being "anti-social", for example.
Sachi's death didnt matter at all right?That he was hopeless against Sugou AND the guardian statues also didnt matter right?The fact that he needs DEMs to win doesnt say anything about him not being a Gary Stu?

Of course we can ignore those for the sake of argument.

Your Edit:You really want to prove that SAO is shit dont you.
Jan 9, 2013 2:08 PM

Apr 2009
ssjokg said:
Sachi's death didnt matter at all right?That he was hopeless against Sugou AND the guardian statues also didnt matter right?The fact that he needs DEMs to win doesnt say anything about him not being a Gary Stu?

LOL @ Sachi's death. Do you know what Kirito should've learned from that? That his overconfidence and miscommunication, his unwarranted sense of adventure in dire situations caused people to die! And what do you think he did in ALO, where he should've just rushed through the game? He goofed around! Hell, even fucking Yui had to remind him not to marvel at the game and to rescue his girlfriend instead of following his childish gamer instincts. Sachi's death as character development was a fucking farce.
We've gone over this for fucking months by now. If you still don't see how at least the anime portrays Kirito in such a way then I honestly doubt you are not a fanboy.

I don't really need to prove it is a failed adaption (and series, but that is not the point here), the series itself does it already.
NidhoeggrJan 9, 2013 2:14 PM
Jan 9, 2013 2:14 PM

Aug 2009
Nidhoeggr said:
ssjokg said:

LOL @ Sachi's death. Do you know what Kirito should've learned from that: That his overconfidence and miscommunication, his unwarranted sense of adventure in dire situations caused people to die? And what do you think he did in ALO, where he should've just rushed through the game? He goofed around! Hell, even fucking Yui had to remind him not to marvel at the game and to rescue his girlfriend instead of following his childish gamer instincts. Sachi's character development was a fucking farce.
Doesnt that prove that he isnt perfect?Didnt that slow him down at all?

Of course he had benefits for that and even then that showed that he DID need them to achieve his goal.

SAchi's development=/=Kirito's development.And he had a week to save Asuna who wasnt going to die.He lost 1 hour max.And lets forget how many people he helped after her death.
ssjokgJan 9, 2013 2:20 PM
Jan 9, 2013 2:18 PM

Aug 2009
Nidhoeggr said:

We've gone over this for fucking months by now. If you still don't see how at least the anime portrays Kirito in such a way then I honestly doubt you are not a fanboy.

I don't really need to prove it is a failed adaption (and series, but that is not the point here), the series itself does it already.

You hate SAO to the core.You pick things to "analyze" that dont matter/arent there like above.
If I am a fanboy then you arent any different from me.You are just the other side.

Yet you try to show faults that arent there just to make it even worse.

And since we have being saying this since summer and since none of us has changed his opinion why did you care to reply to my post.
I mean it is futile, why even bother?
Jan 9, 2013 2:19 PM

Apr 2009
ssjokg said:
Nidhoeggr said:
ssjokg said:

LOL @ Sachi's death. Do you know what Kirito should've learned from that: That his overconfidence and miscommunication, his unwarranted sense of adventure in dire situations caused people to die? And what do you think he did in ALO, where he should've just rushed through the game? He goofed around! Hell, even fucking Yui had to remind him not to marvel at the game and to rescue his girlfriend instead of following his childish gamer instincts. Sachi's character development was a fucking farce.
Doesnt that prove that he isnt perfect?Didnt that slow him down at all?

Of course he had benefits for that and even then that showed that he DID need them to achieve his goal.

SAchi's development=/=Kirito's development.And he had a week to save Asuna who wasnt going to die.He lost 1 hour max.And lets forget how he helped people after her death.

1. It proved that Kirito doesn't learn, that supposed character devlopment is a farce and not really there.
2. The shown flaws hardly mattered because the writer didn't want really to portray it as a flaw. Despite his fooling around, despite his lack of communication, despite ignoring obvious better methods he gets away with everything when he - as you pointed out - should not! Kirito's should've died and not be revived because of the mentioned flaws. He should've been too late and he should have suffered REAL drawbacks. But he did not. Why? Because the author decided that he must get away with it as he is unfailable despite failing. Kirito can not die even if you kill him. Don't you realize how overblown and pathetic that is? That "thing" is not a character, at all. That is just wish-fulfillment.
Luffy can get his ass kicked and loose his crew, Gon can suffer mayor drawbacks from using a certain technique; hell, even fucking "Ninja Jesus" Naruto is unable to save some of his friends despite learning from some of his mistakes. Only Kirito is still the good old, overpowered and perfect being.

ssjokg said:

And since we have being saying this since summer and since none of us has changed his opinion why did you care to reply to my post.

Other people read our posts as well.
NidhoeggrJan 9, 2013 2:26 PM
Jan 9, 2013 2:25 PM

Aug 2009
Nidhoeggr said:

ssjokg said:

Other people read our posts as well.

And they end up reading the same thing over and over again.
Jan 9, 2013 2:33 PM

Aug 2009
Lets say that Kirito and the rest(as chars) are as good as Luffy and crew.The same for the story.If you want to compare SAO with OP, compare it at least with the first arcs of OP, where Luffy didnt lose anyone and didnt suffer a miserable defeat.Same with Naruto.

I would like to say that even if we exclude Sachi,two of Kirito's friends
Of course we can ignore them as plot devices and/or cheap methods to make Kirito angry,more powerful etc
Jan 9, 2013 2:36 PM

Apr 2009
ssjokg said:
Lets say that Kirito and the rest(as chars) are as good as Luffy and crew.The same for the story.If you want to compare SAO with OP, compare it at least with the first arcs of OP, where Luffy didnt lose anyone and didnt suffer a miserable defeat.Same with Naruto.

Of course we can ignore them as plot devices and/or cheap methods to make Kirito angry,more powerful etc

Well, I only read one volume and watched the anime from SAO so I wouldn't know those facts. Still, even in the first arcs in east Blue Luffy idiocy nearly got him drowned several times, was the cause for massive wounds in at leats two arcs (especially Arlong), allowed villians to move along their plans, etc. Of course they succeeded in the end (it is a Shounen, after all), but those were considerable drawbacks that FELT like drawbacks.
There was never any sense of failure coming from the entire ALO arc. Even the SAO alcked suspension, the author uses these plot devices in too obvious ways if you ask me.
Jan 9, 2013 2:53 PM

Aug 2009
Nidhoeggr said:
ssjokg said:

Well, I only read one volume and watched the anime from SAO so I wouldn't know those facts. Still, even in the first arcs in east Blue Luffy idiocy nearly got him drowned several times, was the cause for massive wounds in at leats two arcs (especially Arlong), allowed villians to move along their plans, etc. Of course they succeeded in the end (it is a Shounen, after all), but those were considerable drawbacks that FELT like drawbacks.
There was never any sense of failure coming from the entire ALO arc. Even the SAO alcked suspension, the author uses these plot devices in too obvious ways if you ask me.

Well then it is just that unlike you,I feel that Kirito does encounter obstacles sometimes.As big as Luffy's?No.Naruto's?No.Ichigo gets so much help from the plot that needs another Kirito vs Ichigo thread so forget him...
And I see the need for a huge DEM(Asuna's love in SAO,Kayaba in ALO)as a sign that the MC has failed.
Of course that is a difference in what we call a failure.

As for SAO in general I know that Kirito WILL overcome all his obstacles.What I care is how.It may disappoint me or it may not.But as I have said before I prefer it when the MC is overpowered(even from the beginning)and defeats his enemies than seeing him get stronger by the number of battles he had some hours ago and by that I mean Ichigo-like chars.
Jan 9, 2013 5:37 PM

Apr 2009
ssjokg said:

Well then it is just that unlike you,I feel that Kirito does encounter obstacles sometimes.As big as Luffy's?No.Naruto's?No.Ichigo gets so much help from the plot that needs another Kirito vs Ichigo thread so forget him...
And I see the need for a huge DEM(Asuna's love in SAO,Kayaba in ALO) as a sign that the MC has failed.
What I care is how.It may disappoint me or it may not.

But that was always one of my biggest points, the execution is bad because it is way too obvious. The deus ex machina were blatant, the non-existant character development was blatant - the whole show's staff clearly seemed to not give a single fuck about this anime. That's what's so atrocious about this show.
Jan 9, 2013 6:04 PM

May 2011
ssjokg said:

And I see the need for a huge DEM(Asuna's love in SAO,Kayaba in ALO)as a sign that the MC has failed.

Eh, for me, that was one of the reasons why i liked GGO so much more. They actually beat the villain without resorting to that.
Jan 9, 2013 6:09 PM

Jun 2008
Nidhoeggr said:
ssjokg said:

And I see the need for a huge DEM(Asuna's love in SAO,Kayaba in ALO) as a sign that the MC has failed.

But that was always one of my biggest points, the execution is bad because it is way too obvious. The deus ex machina were blatant, the non-existant character development was blatant - the whole show's staff clearly seemed to not give a single fuck about this anime. That's what's so atrocious about this show.
I'm pretty sure people mentioned that girl who died to have influenced Kirito in other threads already and probably to you already. I really don't see why that's not considered as character development. But I really don't want to beat on a dead horse, if you feel he had no character development, fine. Just don't try to push this opinion on others by saying stuff like "clearly" not caring.
Jan 9, 2013 6:21 PM

Apr 2009
Tachii said:
Nidhoeggr said:
ssjokg said:

I'm pretty sure people mentioned that girl who died to have influenced Kirito in other threads already and probably to you already. I really don't see why that's not considered as character development. But I really don't want to beat on a dead horse, if you feel he had no character development, fine. Just don't try to push this opinion on others by saying stuff like "clearly" not caring.

Let's agree to disagree then.
Jan 9, 2013 8:37 PM

Aug 2009
RockerXD said:
ssjokg said:

Eh, for me, that was one of the reasons why i liked GGO so much more. They actually beat the villain without resorting to that.

That is debatable because of the very,very last moment,but we read several times before that Amu can pick up signals or whatever from outside.
Jan 9, 2013 8:59 PM

May 2011
ssjokg said:
RockerXD said:
ssjokg said:

That is debatable because of the very,very last moment,but we read several times before that Amu can pick up signals or whatever from outside.

Jan 9, 2013 9:04 PM

Aug 2009
RockerXD said:
ssjokg said:
RockerXD said:
ssjokg said:

That would be worse than a DEM for me.At least a DEM can look cool.^ That thing...is beyond horrible.
Jan 9, 2013 9:11 PM

May 2011
ssjokg said:
RockerXD said:
ssjokg said:
RockerXD said:
ssjokg said:

That would be worse than a DEM for me.At least a DEM can look cool.^ That thing...is beyond horrible.

It would be a whole new tier of cheesy. And for me, would make Asuna more annoying in terms of yelling out the MCs name than Orihime during the Hueco Mundo arc.
Jan 9, 2013 9:16 PM

Aug 2009
RockerXD said:
ssjokg said:
RockerXD said:
ssjokg said:
RockerXD said:
ssjokg said:

It would be a whole new tier of cheesy. And for me, would make Asuna more annoying in terms of yelling out the MCs name than Orihime during the Hueco Mundo arc.

Well it is pretty much a given they will ruin it just because of Sinon.
Add the fanservice that will be at the same level as SAO(Sinon's avatar just asks for weird angles)
And will they even mention why Kirito can dodge bullets?
Jan 9, 2013 9:18 PM

May 2011
ssjokg said:

Add the fanservice that will be at the same level as SAO(Sinon's avatar just asks for weird angles)

THis is my guess for an explanation, Kirito is just gonna go
"Umm yeah...something something" Unless, they make Sinon the go to person that explains mechanics when they show up (i think thats the case in the novel)
RockerXDJan 9, 2013 9:22 PM
Jan 9, 2013 9:29 PM

Aug 2009
RockerXD said:
ssjokg said:

THis is my guess for an explanation, Kirito is just gonna go
"Umm yeah...something something" Unless, they make Sinon the go to person that explains mechanics when they show up (i think thats the case in the novel)Kirito doesnt know shit about GGO so yeah it was her explaining while he was taking advantage of how similar the mechanics were to SAO,for obvious reasons(Seed for those that forgot).
Jan 9, 2013 9:41 PM

Oct 2012
hmm...things are surprisingly even. I thought more people like Asuna...but this makes me happy. A lot of people were hating on Sugu when she was just an innocent girl in love :/

Jan 9, 2013 11:43 PM

Nov 2008
Takei_Hisa said:
hmm...things are surprisingly even. I thought more people like Asuna...but this makes me happy. A lot of people were hating on Sugu when she was just an innocent girl in love :/

an innocent girl in love....with her cousin....who is in love with someone else
Jan 9, 2013 11:45 PM

Aug 2009
animetyphoon88 said:
Takei_Hisa said:

I dont see anything worth hating.Except the whole "we have seen this before".
Jan 10, 2013 9:19 AM

Nov 2008
ssjokg said:
animetyphoon88 said:
Takei_Hisa said:

I dont see anything worth hating.Except the whole "we have seen this before".

yeah ur right, i dont hate sugu, I just think she kinda gets in the way
Jan 10, 2013 5:05 PM

Jul 2012
I wish I had looks like Asuna and tits like Suguha. -cries-
Jan 11, 2013 8:33 AM

Jan 2013
I like bout of them but i like Sugu more and i hope that she will get Kiritos heart.
The real world is past the virtual world is future.

Jan 11, 2013 8:38 AM

Feb 2010
Suguha is definitely hornier.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 11, 2013 7:03 PM

Aug 2011
EWWWWWW ASUNA.

*ahem*

Go Sugou
Jan 11, 2013 10:16 PM

Feb 2010
Asuna. This shouldn't even be close.
Jan 12, 2013 6:10 AM

Jul 2009
definitely Sugu

Well, Asuna is almost perfect but Sugu's personality better
Jan 12, 2013 7:04 AM

May 2010
Wow I didn't expect this poll to be this close
asuna for me
Jan 12, 2013 9:17 AM
Nov 2010
setsuna91 said:
definitely Sugu

so basically, Sugu's personality is"perfect" or better than "perfect"?
Jan 12, 2013 11:45 AM

Aug 2012
Z-flame said:
setsuna91 said:
definitely Sugu

He was probably looking at her breasts when he said that.
Jan 12, 2013 5:47 PM

Jan 2013
Z-flame said:
setsuna91 said:
definitely Sugu

He probably waned to say that not evrybady likes perfect girl like Asuna.I don't hawe aniting agenst Asuna but i think that Sugu is match better for Kirito,and that she loves him more.
The real world is past the virtual world is future.

Jan 12, 2013 9:33 PM
Jan 2013
KaiserNazrin said:
I prefer Suguha over a perfect girl like Asuna.

Same here. I think Sugu is way better than Asuna.
Jan 13, 2013 3:40 AM

May 2012
Asuna being restricted to nothing more than a mere plot device for the whole second half is the tie breaker for me. It's close though.
Jan 15, 2013 8:24 AM

Aug 2010
I prefer Asuna, because for me Suguha wasn't interesting at all. I didn't hate Suguha, but didn't like her either and she was sometimes really annoying.
Jan 15, 2013 9:13 PM

Dec 2012
It's a difficult choice because

They're equally nuts, but I'll say Asuna.
Jan 15, 2013 9:25 PM

Jun 2008
How's it a creepy parenting complex?
Jan 15, 2013 9:30 PM

Sep 2012
I was expecting Asuna to win by a landslide
Jan 17, 2013 2:41 AM
Jul 2012
Yuuki means snow just like Yuki Nagato 10/10
Signature removed. See your messages for more information.
Jan 17, 2013 5:40 AM

Jun 2009
FailAtLife said:
Yuuki means snow just like Yuki Nagato 10/10

Actually....

Yuki, means snow.

Yuuki can mean a number of things, depending on how the Kanji is written.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2013 12:03 PM
Jan 2013
Sophilia said:
FastWheels said:
Sugou is the greatest waifu
That's a guy.

a virgin one
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

51 by Naveen6662246 »»
May 1, 11:33 PM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2012

734 by amf85 »»
Apr 26, 7:25 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.