Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 14, 2009 2:35 AM

Dec 2008
Just finished DtB! I don't know how I went for so long without watching this series. It was a good ride. A very good ride.

Overall, I was hooked on this series from the very beginning, albeit I was very confused. Too many unexplained terms at times, and there were so many alliances and organization names being thrown around that I had difficulty remembering who was who, what was what, and who belonged to what. I may have to re-watch the series later to get a better grasp over them. Also, yeah, the ending left a lot of unanswered questions. Sometimes, this can be a good thing, other times it can be bad. For DtB, I found it was a mixture of both. For example, I still don't know what in the heck Hell's and Heaven's Gates are or what the meteor shards do or where they came from. However, some of the questions, such as what happened to Pai, I think are nice to speculate over.

DtB I will remember for its superb animation, distinct character designs, and solid soundtrack and voice acting. Also, the plot was very interesting and the concepts felt fresh and original, despite sharing some characteristics with those of other series. However, some of the two-episode story arcs could have been expanded - I normally complain about series being dragged out too long, but DtB was the opposite! I think some plots were compacted a little too much. Still, I absolutely loved the series overall. DtB gets a score of 9/10 from me ^-^

wateries said:

What did Hei mean when he replied to Misaki saying that "Li doesn't exist anymore"? I thought that the entire time, Li was the manifestation of his human side and the emotionless "Hei" was his contractor personality. There was a scene where all the dead contractors were present with Huang saying that if he couldn't choose between being a human or a contractor, why not just choose both? I thought that this meant he could continue living the way he was living, as a Li/Hei duality. But when Hei said Li doesn't exist anymore, does that mean he chose to be a contractor, foregoing his human nature? If so, why?

I've actually been thinking about this, mulling it over and whatnot. Basically, Hei is the middle-ground between contractor and human; therefore, throughout the entire series, he dealt with the pain of being caught between the two worlds. At the very end, Hei was forced to make the decision: did he want to give his loyalty to the contractors or the humans? Because, ultimately, by allowing the humans to destroy Hell's Gate using that odd particle machine (ugh, physics is definitely not my forte), he'd be saving humanity but destroying the contractors. On the other hand, if he sided with the contractors, he'd allow the events of Heaven's Gate in South America to repeat themselves, resulting in the deaths of many, many humans. Hei chose to give his loyalty to both. In other words, he found a third solution that saved humans AND contractors. However, he did so at the cost of his friends (after all, Amber used up the last of her powers to rewind time to allow Hei to make such a decision).

As for the "Li does not exist anymore" bit...I figured this was a poetic way of saying "Goodbye" to Kirihara. I don't think she had any way to be 100% sure Hei/BK-201 and Li were the same person. Rather, I thought that her shouting out "Li-kun!" was based purely on intuition - she's been noted to have a sharp intuition several times in the series by people like November 11.

His answer is rather ambiguous. It neither confirms nor denies the fact that Hei and Li are the same person, but at the same time, it does hint towards it. However, to me, it also sounded a lot like a "goodbye" or a "don't follow me" sort of message because, one, he's forced to go on the run and can no longer be with her, and two, he's a changed man. An interesting part of Hei is his dual nature: Hei, the spy/assassin contractor, and Li, the normal, slightly clumsy human. Perhaps Hei's final message to Kirihara is also that he can no longer return to any semblance of his "normal" life that he lived as "Li". The events in Hell's Gate, too, have changed him. Before, Hei was solely bent on finding his sister, but after the events in Hell's Gate, I assume that's changed.
Jun 5, 2009 4:30 AM

May 2008
I liked the way it ended. It was a nice way to close out this conflict. Lolis Amber was great. It was nice to see everyone one last time. I'm gonna miss this show.
Jun 6, 2009 1:29 PM
Jun 2009
The ending was confusing and sad... =(

Choosing between letting all contractors die, letting 100million+ humans die,
or letting his friends die...lose lose lose situation

Too bad Amber died at the end, since it seemed like Li/Hei loved her near the end..and she was probably the closest person to what would be considered a girlfriend to him.

good thing DtB season 2 has been announched :)
Jun 21, 2009 11:04 PM

Jun 2009
This isn't a children's show yet they somehow managed to squeeze in a compromise ending.. Although confusing was how those dead people all get to talk to him
Jun 26, 2009 2:28 AM

Jan 2009
lnn8v6 said:
This isn't a children's show yet they somehow managed to squeeze in a compromise ending.. Although confusing was how those dead people all get to talk to him

i think its becoz theres nothing imppossible in hell's gate
Jul 14, 2009 2:48 PM

Dec 2007
It was a okay ending. It still didn't answer many questions. Who made the gate? How do people become contractors? I guess i'll go watch the OVA.
Jul 16, 2009 1:23 PM

Aug 2008
Rewatching the first ep made me think about if Li fixed his landlord's tv by zapping it with electricity xD
Nice detail!

Overall, I fell in love with the way they presented this anime. It's one of my favorite ones, and if they answer the hell gate questions in season 2 I will give this show a 10.
Jul 22, 2009 12:53 PM

May 2008
Ending was pretty good. Im only a bit disappointed cause alot of the questions went unanswered. Plus I didnt like amber dieing at the end (eventhough it was expected).

9/10
Aug 3, 2009 2:18 AM

Nov 2008
fear not. There's going to be a second season. It airs sometime in october. Perhaps if everything goes well...
Aug 10, 2009 10:28 PM

Oct 2007
Good ending, but there seemed to be things left unturned. I still want to know what this "syndicate" is.

Looking forward to season 2
Aug 10, 2009 10:44 PM

Aug 2008
I was hoping Yin and Hei would get to kiss, but alas. ;_; It's a relief to know there'll be second season...maybe it'll center more on Yin then on the rest of the cast? \o/
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 26, 2009 5:23 PM

Aug 2009
Season 2 ohyesssss. I'll definately watch DTB season 2. :D
Aug 26, 2009 10:39 PM

Aug 2008
It never gets boring watching DtB again and again.
5 weeks to go till season 2!
They see me trollin', they hatin'.
Aug 30, 2009 9:56 PM

Mar 2009
Can't wait until October! I love everything about this anime.
Liked the scene where all the dead people were giving Hei advice and in the end he had to choose the middle road-either way would have been too extreme and would had killed a lot of beings (humans or contractors).
Definetly 9 out of 10 and worth watching again (and I really miss November 11th, he was sooo cute and witty!)
Aug 31, 2009 2:46 PM

Mar 2008
Amber needs a better role, but she's gone now. I can see C.C. crying. November 11 was cool, he didn't had to die.
Sep 19, 2009 12:40 AM

Apr 2009
And again, like when he first visited the Gate, Yin saves him.

So, Hei became a contractor only because his sister's powers somehow got transferred to him. Explains why he was different from all the other contractors...
Great series! Though I wish Kirihara caught up to Hei at the end...
-sniff- I'll miss DtB. Good thing the second season is coming.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Sep 29, 2009 3:01 PM

Aug 2009
Maaan...couldn't they've made the ending a little more 'happy'?

I'd have given it a perfect 10 had the ending been more clear and satisfying...but well...atleast the basics are over with. Now I hope they're gonna reveal the details in the second season: Hei/Yin/Kirihara's current life, more about the syndicate and contractors...etc.

Excellent anime. 9/10 (only cos of the ending -_-)
Oct 8, 2009 11:16 AM

Jun 2009
i miss amber=[
LET JUSTICE BE DONE; THOUGH THE HEAVENS MAY FALL
Oct 8, 2009 1:37 PM

Apr 2009
nice series x)
8.5/10
Oct 8, 2009 11:30 PM
Jul 2009
Definitely climbed the ladder there (7 to 8 to 9). One of my favorites...Now I have to choose which fav I'm going to delete. Other than the lack of more explanation from the anime/subs itself it was an epic story. The first half of the show was a great way to setup the 2nd half of the series. Hopefully S2 will give more explanation and continue the great story telling.
Oct 11, 2009 11:33 PM

Jul 2008
A satisfying ending and it developed the KiriharaxHei pairing which I steadily became a fan of over the course of the series.
I'm so glad that I never dropped the show, since I was close to doing so around the 3-5 episode mark. Fortunately, the series really picked up around episode 15 or so and I got pulled into the plot and characters... Though I'm still deciding on whether I should go for a 9 or 10 rating, since this show really stood out to me, but I dunno if it should get the highest mark. The show killed off most of the characters I liked; I could dock a point for that. ._.

Anyway, next up is Ryuusei no Gemini. :D I'll have to get used to weekly episode releases... Dammit. xP
Oct 14, 2009 11:08 PM

Apr 2008
That was great ... but was expecting a better ending o_o

Nov 9, 2009 8:17 PM

Jun 2009
This show is rather bumpy, it has it's moments, as well as parts that are completely boring. I like the episodes between 18~23, it was going so well, 24 have good start and that's about it. The ending is rather meh IMO.

...... 7.3/10

rounded to 7.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 13, 2009 8:53 PM

Sep 2008
I love how Hei's sister was named Xing, meaning Star. TT.TT

I don't really get what happened to her though. I don't really get what exactly happened at the gate in South America. Or what happened at the gate in Tokyo, for that matter. Or why Amber couldn't tell Hei all this important stuff at any point before now.

I like how Yin pulled Hei out of the vortex (whatever that was), and how Hei saved Kirihara. The whole theme of Hei accepting both his human and contractor side was very nice. Overall a good ending. Decent series - a 7/10 I'll say. I just wish they didn't try so freaking hard to keep things mysterious and vague the whole series. I still don't really get the meat of the storyline, to be honest.
Nov 19, 2009 9:44 PM

Nov 2009
I must be really stupid, because I still don't understand what's going on even after finishing the show.

Debating whether to give it a 6/10 or 7/10...
Nov 22, 2009 9:30 AM

Sep 2008
I really liked this show. :) Hei is freakin' awesome :D
I give it 9/10, because the ending was a bit unclear to me.
I hope after the second season all the questions will be answered.
You must not take a watermelon lightly. /Sugata Eishirou/

Nov 30, 2009 7:58 PM

Jan 2009
Awesome series, some things left a mystery for the second season, but I think overall the series did a great job at revealing what we all were wondering.

"Or why Amber couldn't tell Hei all this important stuff at any point before now. "
She explains that in the end, that he would have left the syndicate if he found out, and they probably would have killed him. She needed him to be alive for that day.

Also, I'm pretty sure Pai has some real like S-class powers, like they mentioned at the end about Hei being able to alter particles, like what makes up contracters powers. I think this is how Pai somehow transformed herself, in the form of her powers, into Hei, making him neither fully human nor fully a contractor.

Also, COMPLETELY awesome at the end of Amber turning back time, I totally did not see that coming at all. Time to start season 2!
Nov 30, 2009 9:30 PM

Sep 2008
KanuTousen said:

"Or why Amber couldn't tell Hei all this important stuff at any point before now. "
She explains that in the end, that he would have left the syndicate if he found out, and they probably would have killed him. She needed him to be alive for that day.

Eh, my thinking is just that Hei is the Black Shinigami and can't be killed so easily. Amber and her legion of contractor buddies were all fighting the syndicate, and yes most of them died at the very end, but it seemed to me that Hei could have been helping her out before then, and perhaps found a more covert way of defeating the syndicate at the end. Antagonizing your most powerful player just seems counter-productive to me, though I may just be missing something obvious.

I suppose part of my difficulty in understanding everything was why Hei was so mad at Amber in the first place. They vaguely said she turned traitor, but it seemed to have something to do with Pai disappearing/dying/whatever happened to her. He kept asking her where Pai was, if I remember correctly. Perhaps I missed the line that explained it.
Dec 1, 2009 11:17 AM

Jan 2009
Cho said:

I suppose part of my difficulty in understanding everything was why Hei was so mad at Amber in the first place. They vaguely said she turned traitor, but it seemed to have something to do with Pai disappearing/dying/whatever happened to her. He kept asking her where Pai was, if I remember correctly. Perhaps I missed the line that explained it.

That was definitely it. They mention how even though Hei wasn't a contractor, he still fought anyway (even though he didn't like killing) soley because he wanted to be alongside his sister. So when his sister suddenly disappears, and word comes out that Amber betrayed their organization, Hei is bound to be pissed especially since he knows Amber is withholding information about the south america incident from him.

Also, I don't really understand how Mao "died"? did it have to do with his connection being cut or something? Or maybe just something mysterious within the gate and him already have completed his contract (since he lost his body).

And 1 last thing, I loved the scene with the contracters all in the gate at the end, and Hei's decision to live as a contractor, human, or both. Which also paralleled with his decision of what to do when he was to be sent back in time (Put up the force shield which would destroy the city, do nothing and let the gate/contractors be destroyed, or the third choice which he took.. be apart of both worlds and allow neither to be destroyed.
Dec 1, 2009 11:17 PM

Sep 2008
KanuTousen said:
Cho said:

That was definitely it. They mention how even though Hei wasn't a contractor, he still fought anyway (even though he didn't like killing) soley because he wanted to be alongside his sister. So when his sister suddenly disappears, and word comes out that Amber betrayed their organization, Hei is bound to be pissed especially since he knows Amber is withholding information about the south america incident from him.

The thing is I don't get what Amber did to betray them. I don't remember them ever saying what it was she did that was so bad. I don't get what Amber was keeping a secret from him way back when they were in South America. Did she know that early that the Syndicate wanted to kill all the contractors? Or something relating to Heaven's Gate? (What happened exactly with that gate, I don't really get... It had something to do with Pai if I remember correctly) I remember Hei holding Pai in his arms after something happened with the gate, and she looks dead or is asleep or something, but I don't recall if anything else happened. I think Amber was there as well and Hei was looking pissed, but they didn't say what was going on...
Dec 6, 2009 6:35 AM
Aug 2009
I think it ended kind of lame. Not too much excitement going on. If you ask me, they could have spiced it up a little more.
Dec 19, 2009 12:52 PM

Nov 2008
Cho said:
KanuTousen said:
Cho said:

The thing is I don't get what Amber did to betray them. I don't remember them ever saying what it was she did that was so bad. I don't get what Amber was keeping a secret from him way back when they were in South America. Did she know that early that the Syndicate wanted to kill all the contractors? Or something relating to Heaven's Gate? (What happened exactly with that gate, I don't really get... It had something to do with Pai if I remember correctly) I remember Hei holding Pai in his arms after something happened with the gate, and she looks dead or is asleep or something, but I don't recall if anything else happened. I think Amber was there as well and Hei was looking pissed, but they didn't say what was going on...

Well, with her predictions about the future she actually caused the whole war at Heavens Gate which resulted in a massacre of contractors.
Dec 28, 2009 5:05 AM

May 2009
Sobzob said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
And so Darker than BLACK ends as well. Not as many events as the last few episodes in this one, the end was pretty typical too I guess; with Hei saving all the contractors and being brought back thanks to Yin.
Kirihara finally figured out that Hei is BK-201 too! That took sometime, I mean they both had the same hairstyle.. Though there are people with same hairstyles everywhere.. whatever. Loli Amber wasn't that bad looking either :D
In the end I am still giving DtB a 10/10 and it's staying in my favorite list.
The first few episodes I was always going about dropping this show, and I'm certainly glad I never did. When the story developed it got better and better all the time!

And someone needs to put this as finished airing.

Edit-
All these typos..
when i start this show, i was thinking to drop it after four episode. I really glad I dont did it.great show one of my favorite
Jan 4, 2010 2:56 PM

Sep 2009
And that was the very end.
It was great 9/10.
Time to move on to the second season.
Feb 3, 2010 9:55 AM

Dec 2009
Didn't get everything.. or even half of it... I like it that way, though. Definitely a favourite. Of what I've heard, the second season doesn't make it any clearer.. I'm going to see for myself :)
:)))
Mar 28, 2010 10:40 AM
Mar 2010
Amber is gone :( Gonna watch second season now :D
Mar 31, 2010 12:46 AM

Oct 2009
Well I liked the ending! It wasn't super conclusive to rule out a sequel, but it didn't leave a billion questions unanswered either. Much better than most endings to anime shows.
Looking forward to season #2!
May 6, 2010 1:14 PM

Apr 2009
Kinda disappointed in the ending. Felt like something out of a story arc ending of a comic or season finale of Heroes. Most of the questions that were present in the beginning are still unanswered in the final episode.

I like that Misaki knew who BK201 was and the reveal of Amber's true motives and powers. It shows that there's more to their character.

Hopefully Darker than Black 2 will answer some of my questions.
MiraiLinkMay 17, 2010 1:37 AM
May 15, 2010 7:00 AM

Oct 2009
I don't really understand.
So Amber is actually a protagonist and the one that is the really bad guy is the syndicate ? Then the upper section that have control over the police, cia, MI-6 are the syndicate member ?

Then that's mean misaki/ november 11 is pursuing hei that actually work for their chief ? =.=

Overall 8/10

Jun 3, 2010 4:53 AM

Sep 2009
Thank god there are still OVAs to watch and a second season....I wasn't that satisfied with this ending. It felt a little too abrupt to me. Overall I enjoyed the show though.
Jun 3, 2010 8:45 AM

Jun 2008
im a bit disappointed with the end. specially because of Amber´s death. so unfair. i also never understood why Hei hated her so much and refused to talk to her ...she never betrayed him...
must go watch the ovas now:D

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Jun 3, 2010 10:44 PM

Nov 2008
Orulyon said:
im a bit disappointed with the end. specially because of Amber´s death. so unfair. i also never understood why Hei hated her so much and refused to talk to her ...she never betrayed him...
must go watch the ovas now:D

More disappointment ahead, especially if you're a Amber fan :)

Jun 13, 2010 12:53 PM

Jul 2009
Great anime. Enjoyed it!

This episode: 5/5

Darker than Black: 9/10
Jul 25, 2010 10:04 PM

May 2010
25 episodes and not a single episode explained what the "gate" really is and what the "syndicate" really is, and the roles of the characters.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 17, 2010 3:05 PM

Jul 2007
waaaa a so confusing ending!!
i hope in ovas explain more about everythin we need hehe n.nU
phew, thx for saving misaki, hei ^^
Aug 18, 2010 10:28 AM
Aug 2010
i agree there should be atleast a lil explaing damn...
Aug 20, 2010 7:53 PM

Dec 2008
The ending had so much information crammed into one episode that I got confused. xD I had to watch it a second time to figure everything out!

Overall, this series was REALLY enjoyable.
Sep 8, 2010 4:00 AM

Mar 2010
I don't understand, did some of you guys even pay attention to ANYTHING?

Come on, Mao explained about his database and his brain needing to be uploaded to keep his mind as a human earlier/midway through the series. People going, "herp derp, what happened to Mao?" Makes me think a bunch of people clicked ahead until they saw fight scenes

And Amber getting younger as her price seemed crazy obvious when November blantantly said she looked younger and younger whenever he see's her : /

Why people care about the romance is beyond me. It was shallow as hell and so minor. Kinda glad they didn't get cliche and have her catch up, he looks at her, she looks at him, they kiss, lips locking, where the true stars reveal themselves. Now that would be an awful ending

It was an overall decent series, so I think a 7/10 is a pretty fair score. I enjoyed it. It has way, waaaaaaaaaaaay too many flaws to be given a 9 or a 10, the story and execution aren't that original either
Sep 9, 2010 12:42 AM

Aug 2010
Ig4kLone said:
I don't really understand.
So Amber is actually a protagonist and the one that is the really bad guy is the syndicate ? Then the upper section that have control over the police, cia, MI-6 are the syndicate member ?

Overall 8/10
The real bad guys are the syndicate and the upper section are syndicate members. So you're right.
Ig4kLone said:
Then that's mean misaki/ november 11 is pursuing hei that actually work for their chief ? =.=
No, they didn't even know hei was working for the chief at the moment because they were left out but november 11 may have known what was going on, just a guess.

Arcade_fire87 said:
I don't understand, did some of you guys even pay attention to ANYTHING?
I did. xD

Arcade_fire87 said:

Why people care about the romance is beyond me. It was shallow as hell and so minor. Kinda glad they didn't get cliche and have her catch up, he looks at her, she looks at him, they kiss, lips locking, where the true stars reveal themselves. Now that would be an awful ending
I agree. If Misaki managed to convince Hei to stay, my guess would be, he wouldn't have lasted a week with her since the syndicate will be after him.

I really liked the series and i give it a 910. There were a few unexplained things that never got answered from the very first episode but you had to go with the follow and continue watching even if you were drawing a blank every once in a while. The animation was well made and never degrade with every episode. Since season 2 as been out for sometime, i'll move on to that and see if anything will be answered.
Oct 24, 2010 6:23 AM

Aug 2009
This is one of the few shows that got me trully interested on what was going on and kept me on the edge of my seat. Also it's one of thefew that the world it describes and takes place in is complete and self-sufficient.
The show did leave some things unanswered, but sometimes not everything needs an absolute answer. The plot was compact and really well delivered. So for all its effort to impress me it easily gets a 9/10.
Off to see the OVAs and the second season.
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.”Akira Kurosawa
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Zel - Jul 21, 2007

105 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 4, 11:46 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Faust721 - Jul 21, 2007

100 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 4, 10:55 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jun 13, 2007

99 by TheMangaManiac »»
Mar 11, 4:13 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - Jul 6, 2007

144 by YankataY »»
Dec 10, 2023 11:44 AM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - Jul 6, 2007

102 by YankataY »»
Dec 10, 2023 11:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.