Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (97) « First ... « 57 58 [59] 60 61 » ... Last »
Apr 24, 2017 6:34 PM

Jun 2016
Mulholland Drive.

One of the better outputs from Lynch that I've seen, definitely better than Lost Highway.

The football field isn't the only place where you could use a good line.
Apr 24, 2017 10:50 PM

Nov 2008
The Jungle Book. I'm surprised I still remember so much of it (including some of the animations) after twenty years. It was one of my favorites as a little kid. I didn't realize the vultures were supposed to be The Beatles back then. Could have done without that.

Remaking it in live action was a weird choice. The movie is so cartoony and silly and the remake tried to be so dramatic. It kind of fell flat. The creatures also were too real, I thought.

Sleeping Beauty. Never seen it. Liked it, but didn't think it was all that good.
EzekielApr 25, 2017 12:23 AM

Apr 25, 2017 8:30 AM

Dec 2015
A Monster Calls

A story about a boy coming to terms with his mother's failing health that manages to be grim and depressing but also incredibly moving.
Told through a mix of real world events and stories that the boy shares with a monster of his imagining played by Liam Neeson.
Excellent performances from everyone, excellent writing, excellent 2d animated sections and some pretty decent CGI on the monster character.
I would highly recommend this movie to just about anyone.

9/10
Apr 25, 2017 10:41 AM

Jan 2015
Maboroshi no Hikari (1995)

koreeda was more artsy on his early days must said, fixated cameras like everywhere, playing with composition, framing balance, and the thick black shadowy color palletes -often putted agaisnt small glimpse of light - the dress code , all the cross reference(?), it should be beautiful ..ahhh.. if not for this shitty quality and poor resoultion that i've got

la critique de l'intention pure
Apr 26, 2017 6:22 PM

Jan 2015
Ghost Dog: the Way of Samurai (1999)

enjoyed this. i nod it was on tv a few occasion but
i'm always passed it from watch because of the
title sound silly back then lol. how dare myself
I would love to see some more of jim jarmusch

and also this two short;
Six Shooter (2004)
The Gunfighter (2014)

Apr 26, 2017 11:52 PM

Sep 2011
Gifted- Enjoyed the movie. I think it was mainly the chemistry between all the actors, how well they all preformed, and how charming they were that really made it approachable. A bad child actor can really bog down a movie, but that's definitely not the case here.

The Lost City of Z- A slow burner. Quite different than I was expecting. It looks pretty, the characters feel real (along with their desires and struggles), but I felt that it builds up and then just fizzles. I realize it's an adaption of a book, but I think I would have preferred to watch a documentary about their lives rather than the dramatization.
Apr 27, 2017 3:43 PM

Jun 2015
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone

good movie, ends like a heist movie.

expected more slapstick from jim

also thought it was malin ackerman in the begining but it was olivia wilde,
Apr 27, 2017 7:08 PM

Jan 2015
Stoker (2013)

Definitely far from park chan wook best tho' his props, his style of imagery was there. At least thro' the end, the climax quiet engaging.

May 2, 2017 2:46 AM

Dec 2012
I Am Legend: 8/10

I think it's been six or seven years since I last saw it. I watched the alternate ending this time, which is infinitely more satisfying than the theatrical version. Will Smith delivered a phenomenal performance, especially how his character Neville coped with the solitude. The one scene that got me the most is when he goes to say hello to the mannequin in the DVD store. It's that one moment that best captures the sheer loneliness he's been suffering & dealing with all of this time. The film also does a really good job at demonstrating the humanity of the darkseekers in spite of their condition.

I also watched some Behind the Scenes (rare for me) and it was incredible how they actually cleared out entire streets of New York City to shoot scenes for the movie. That was one part that had me in awe - seeing NYC completely empty and barren and knowing it wasn't just a CGI backdrop.
May 2, 2017 10:08 PM

Jun 2016
Everything Must Go. Will Ferrell as an alcoholic.

Funny in it's understatement, likeable characters, good story. Enjoyable film.
May 2, 2017 10:34 PM

Nov 2008
Fish Tank. It's like Kes if the main character were a few years older, a girl, lived in the '00s, were more rebellious and their interest were dancing instead of animals. Okay, maybe it's not much like Kes. It's also not quite as good. But I liked it.

May 2, 2017 11:29 PM

Aug 2012
Moonlight.

Man, what a journey. I can't really explain it.
May 3, 2017 3:24 PM

Dec 2015
Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Not quite as good as the first one but still a decent movie. They went a little bit more jokey than the previous volume but that was fine because most of the jokes hit and in a lot of ways it was actually funnier than the first movie. All the actors once again did great in their roles and surprisingly enough Vin Diesel didn't get much action but got a majority of the funny lines (which he delivered excellently, he had the entire cinema laughing). And once again just like the first movie the music was perfectly set to the scenes, and I'm not usually a fan of 80's pop.

My main complaint with the movie was the villain who kinda suddenly comes out of nowhere for the 3rd act and who's motivations I still don't fully understand. But whatever, it's still a lot of fun just like I hoped it would be.

8/10
May 3, 2017 5:45 PM

Feb 2015
I saw La La Land... I thought the first song was the best.
May 3, 2017 6:12 PM

May 2012
Slumdog Millionaire, couldn't believe how incredibly easy the last question was and I only watch it all the way through as I don't really like to leave things half finished even if I didn't care them.
May 4, 2017 4:41 AM

Sep 2012
The Dirties

I liked the concept of the movie and the characters felt pretty real. The main character reminded me of my little brother, which is a bit worrying.
May 4, 2017 4:50 PM

May 2012
Watched Rings last night, ended up falling asleep during it out of boredom, absolutely nothing there to keep me interested enough to finish the show.
May 5, 2017 10:06 AM

Aug 2016
I'll participate in a zombie thread. No problem.

Last night I watched M*A*S*H.

1970's M*A*S*H is a series of vignettes in a Mobile Army Surgical Hospital set against the backdrop of the Korean War. A classic American film, it was based on the novel MASH: A Novel About Three Army Doctors by Richard Hooker. M*A*S*H centers on the antics of army surgeons Capt. "Hawkeye" Pierce (Donald Sutherland), Capt. "Trapper" John McIntyre (Elliott Gould), and Capt. "Duke" Forrest (Tom Skerritt). These three turn their camp upside-down with wickedly ingenious plots to humiliate rivals like the pompous Major Frank Burns (Robert Duvall) and Major "Hot Lips" Houlihan (Sally Kellerman), save dentist "Painless" Waldoski's life by getting him laid, and winning a football game against General Hammond's (G. Wood) 325th.

M*A*S*H is a dark comedy about the absurdity of war, played out as a series of absurd events at the mobile hospital. The levity stands in sharp juxtaposition with the brutality of war. The violence of battle never makes it onto the screen, although the casualties do. The only time Hawkeye, Duke, and Trapper are ever serious is when they are saving lives in the operating tent. The surgery scenes are appropriately presented in tonal opposition to the goofy behavior that makes up the rest of the film. These scenes are never set to music and instead of their usual boisterous levity the doctors speak quietly and in almost subdued tones, reinforcing the seriousness and severity of the situation. Little reminders are sprinkled throughout the film that the war costs lives, often between the bouts of levity and joy, acting as markers to aid the viewer in transitioning between the comedic vignettes. For example, at the end of the "Painless" vignette, a body, shrouded in white, is transported away from the camp in the background while the characters play poker in the foreground. This serves to remind the viewer that the ridiculous behavior is not so much as a sign of immaturity but instead a sort of tension-release valve for the characters, keeping them sane while they deal with the insanity of war.
May 6, 2017 4:09 PM

Jun 2016
The Prestige.

Really great film, you really get into the rivalry between the two characters. Also seeing David Bowie as Tesla was kind of interesting.
May 6, 2017 5:13 PM
May 2017
The Neighbors 2

Ok, it was my first movie of that kind of comedy featured, but honestly, that was one hell of a trainwreck.

Still enjoyed it though.
May 7, 2017 2:27 AM

Aug 2012
Star Wars IV: A New Hope. Surprisingly, it was extremely good and way ahead of its time. Good job.
May 7, 2017 12:04 PM

Jun 2016
It Follows.

Didn't really scare me, but still really enjoyed this one. I sort of view it as a metaphor for post-recession America.There is little if any hope left, everyone is just waiting for the inevitable and no one cares anymore.The fact that it takes place in Detroit really hammers it home too.
May 7, 2017 12:11 PM

Apr 2015
Ok so I went to my sister's house yesterday, and my brother in law was watching trasporter refuel, and i must say, it was the worst movie that i've seen in a while

theeeen at night I went to the movies to watch Guardians of the galaxy vol. 2 and another good one from marvel, baby groot was to cute
I'm feelin' normal, I'm feelin' myself ♪♪
May 8, 2017 1:33 AM

Nov 2008
La La Land - 7/10. Kind of hard to call it a musical, to be honest.

The Young Girls of Rochefort - 8/10. That's a musical! And I don't even understand the language.

May 8, 2017 3:39 AM

Nov 2016
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Got a few belly-laughs out of it, but damn - the last portion of the film was sliced onions.

Bölvat es okkr, bróðir,
bani em ek þinn orðinn;
þat mun æ uppi;
illr er dómr norna.
-Hlöðskviða
(The Battle of the Goths and Huns)
May 8, 2017 6:53 AM

Jan 2015
The Trial (1962)

interesting adaptation of franz kafka's der prozes. quiet have the moments, in awe by it. slightly but sure it have different in mine perception of the book, by it narrative structures which was handle quiet good must said, by some depiction or characterization -like joseph K played by anthony perkins- well i suggest it just casual problem of any adaptation, overall still a nice one by orson welles
karambiaMay 8, 2017 7:12 AM

May 8, 2017 7:15 AM

Jun 2010
Fast and furious. Good movie, although many fancy.
May 8, 2017 9:35 AM

Apr 2011
Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2. It was rather hilarious, especially the Mantis and Drax scenes, but I was a little disappointed with it. Just a little.
May 8, 2017 4:41 PM

Jan 2017
Your Name is was a very good experience in the theatre on the big screen.
May 9, 2017 5:54 PM

Aug 2015
The Martian. Read the book first. The film ending was kinda nice, but I didn't really like the epilogue.
May 9, 2017 6:43 PM

Apr 2015
A dog's purpose - Didn't want to go to the movies to see this actually but I was forced, and it came out to be better than I expected, I love dogs and this is just another sad story with a happy ending
I'm feelin' normal, I'm feelin' myself ♪♪
May 9, 2017 10:50 PM

Jun 2016
Hacksaw Ridge.

I enjoyed this movie and thought that what this man accomplished was nothing short of incredible. Some of the acting felt a bit flat though, particularly Vince Vaughn and Sam Worthington; I'm pretty sure I heard his Australian accent at times.
May 11, 2017 9:18 AM

Jan 2015
Been on good and great stuff lately

The Third Man (1949)
I Wish (2011)
Instant Swamp (2009)
Eureka (2000)
Woman in the Dunes (1964)
Grand Illusion (1937)

Satisfying week so far :)

May 11, 2017 6:43 PM

Jun 2016
A Fistful of Dollars (1964)
First spaghetti western I've watched, and I'm planning to watch the other movies in the trilogy. Despite its age, it's still a very good movie, although it had some issues expected from a movie of its time.
May 11, 2017 10:39 PM

Aug 2015
"The Wailing" left me speechless in the very best kind of way. I gave up early in the movie trying to figure out exactly what was happening. I decided to enjoy the ride, and try to interpret the key plot elements on rewatches. If you think you can 100% understand this movie on one watch, you're a whole lot smarter than me.

The Chaser, The Yellow Sea and now The Wailing. Director, Hong-jin Na is now a 3 time winner at the game of making marvelous movies. The cinematography is spectacular. The script is one insane rollercoaster of emotions. The gore. The drama. The intensity. The feeling of dread. This is a real horror movie. Nothing cheap. Nothing gimmicky. Simply, pure holy terror.

I talk about the need for smart horror. This wins a gold medal for intellectualism. I don't want to give away too much, but there's a long extended scene of a shaman performing a ritual, that's cinematic bliss. The acting is beyond amazing. So many cool twists and turns. So many things done just right. I might've been clueless at the end, but what a ride The Wailing is! Maybe a chance for 5 stars on future rewatches. Check this one out, today!! 4/5 based on letter box score

May 14, 2017 9:43 AM

May 2010

The Room, o hai mark/10
I knew what to expect after watching countless youtube reviews, but I wanted to check it out myself. I did laugh quite a few times, some scenes are PURE GOLD. Shame there are so many boring as fuck sex scenes, this movie would be much funnier without them, for example with some more "drama" written by Tommy Wiseau instead :< The way it is, while some parts are super entertaining, good portion of this movie is a snoozefest.

I need to check out The Happening soon...
May 14, 2017 10:12 AM
Feb 2016
The most recent film I watched was technically the Prince of Egypt. Still a fantastic movie. Would highly recommend it to really anyone.

Before that, I saw the first Fast and the Furious movie, which absolutely batshit insane, and kind of hard to take seriously at points.

May 14, 2017 10:17 AM

May 2010
-Ouro- said:
The most recent film I watched was technically the Prince of Egypt. Still a fantastic movie. Would highly recommend it to really anyone.

One of my all-time favourite animated movies! Sadly nowadays it's really forgotten, maybe because of religious theme? Such a shame, because it's a dark, mind-blowing movie, story, music and animation-wise.
May 14, 2017 11:13 AM

Apr 2017
Kitsu-nee said:

The Room, o hai mark/10
I knew what to expect after watching countless youtube reviews, but I wanted to check it out myself. I did laugh quite a few times, some scenes are PURE GOLD. Shame there are so many boring as fuck sex scenes, this movie would be much funnier without them, for example with some more "drama" written by Tommy Wiseau instead :< The way it is, while some parts are super entertaining, good portion of this movie is a snoozefest.

I've seen it. It's so bad! I recommend Manos: The Hands of Fate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manos:_The_Hands_of_Fate#Manos:_The_Search_for_Valley_Lodge

May 14, 2017 11:15 AM

Apr 2017
Blue Mountain State Rise of Thadland, average compared to the series but still funny and random asf

May 14, 2017 3:00 PM
Feb 2016
Kitsu-nee said:
-Ouro- said:

One of my all-time favourite animated movies! Sadly nowadays it's really forgotten, maybe because of religious theme? Such a shame, because it's a dark, mind-blowing movie, story, music and animation-wise.

I personally chalk it up to the fact that 2D animation was starting to become less popular as 3D animated films became more popular. It was pretty popular back when it was released, but then it kinda flew under the radar. Now it's a lot more recognized thankfully.

May 14, 2017 3:38 PM

Jun 2016
Kitsu-nee said:

The Room, o hai mark/10

OH HI. I literally just watched this last night too. Pretty much agree with what you say, especially the boring af sex scenes; waaaay too long.

Some of Tommy Wisseau's reacts had me loling, but other than that it was just boring. I guess I kind of hoped the 'badness' of the movie would make it more entertaining.

The Happening sucks too.
May 14, 2017 5:36 PM

Feb 2015
the lord of the flies, pretty strait forward adaption of the book, the child actors are hit or miss ( par for the course their) but the film showing the break down of order was topical at the time due to the collapsing British empire.
May 14, 2017 5:37 PM

Feb 2015
-Ouro- said:
Kitsu-nee said:

I personally chalk it up to the fact that 2D animation was starting to become less popular as 3D animated films became more popular. It was pretty popular back when it was released, but then it kinda flew under the radar. Now it's a lot more recognized thankfully.
solid movie, some of the cg aged poorly but its still pretty epic.
May 14, 2017 6:09 PM
Jul 2018
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
It's like many SciFi movies, just on drugs and I loved it. XD
Pacman. Best thing about it. And Babygroot. X3
May 14, 2017 7:39 PM
Feb 2016
Kurtvonschroeder said:
-Ouro- said:

solid movie, some of the cg aged poorly but its still pretty epic.

Wholeheartedly agreed.

May 17, 2017 1:04 PM

Dec 2015
La La Land

Some really great music (a lot more instrumental stuff and a lot less musical numbers than I was expecting but that was ok with me because the instrumental music was very good) and some exceptional cinematography. This movie really knows how to frame shots and move the camera in an interesting way, plus there's the occasional moment where they completely forego reality in favour of pure art direction, even if these are few and far between.

The acting was...fine but unfortunately every single character is either a douchebag/bitch or completely dull and uninteresting. Seriously, these characters are so forgettable that I just finished watching the movie and I can't even name a single character, not that I gave a shit about anything that happened to them.

The fantastic cinematography and decent music managed to save this movie from being a piece of garbage, but I would still call it above average at best.

6/10
May 17, 2017 1:46 PM

Sep 2016
Just ended my fifth re-watch of Bracula (Yes, you just read that right).

Still one of my favourites films of all time.

No te digo trigo/10
One man is no more than another, if he do no more than what another does.

May 17, 2017 3:11 PM

Oct 2010
I watched Háry János today. It's a reasonably short Hungarian animated film that feels quite limited and cheap, and at times insufferable to watch (I want to punch the screen every time a certain character moves or speaks) but at the same time has a quirky use of colors, shapes and visual transitions that I find quite interesting, and the narrative is fine enough. It reminded me a lot of the style of the earlier János vitéz. And that is the main issue. It just can't hold up to that one in terms of quality, visual refinement and overall execution of similar ideas. Which is why I would suggest to watch Jankovics' film instead of this one, for a first glance of the style at least. Anyway, the full movie is in YouTube if you want to check it out.

Noesnecesario said:
Just ended my fifth re-watch of Bracula (Yes, you just read that right).

Still one of my favourites films of all time.

No te digo trigo/10

Excellent taste my friend.
jal90May 17, 2017 3:14 PM
May 17, 2017 3:30 PM

Nov 2008
Chungking Express (1994, Hong Kong)

Witty, stylish, soulful. 8/10.

I was kind of surprised that it's by the same director as In the Mood for Love, which I also liked but is tonally different. You can see similarities, though. I heard he grew sick of being called an MTV director and of other directors copying his style after Chungking Express and wanted to do something different, which probably explains it.

Pages (97) « First ... « 57 58 [59] 60 61 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7589 by SilentAssassin88 »»
13 minutes ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3389 by SilentAssassin88 »»
15 minutes ago

» Favorite childhood TV shows?

56709 - Apr 17

27 by Strahan »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Game of Thrones vs Attack on Titan

DOSS300 - Mar 26

12 by Strahan »»
5 hours ago

» This is one the most gay music vids i have seen^^

tsukareru - Yesterday

2 by Strahan »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.