Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 21, 2008 8:44 PM
Aug 2008
Sup with the number of bad sonic game recently i was wondering do you like sonic unleashed will the one thats actually good if not great?
Nov 21, 2008 11:55 PM

Mar 2008
I watched a few videos. The "normal" speedy parts are classic but beautiful, and the "dark" parts look promising. I'm planning to buy, but only as a bargain.
Nov 22, 2008 4:50 AM

Sep 2007
To be honest, only like one or two recent games that wasn't a port/remake was bad, everything else was either average or really good since SA2. And yes I prefer both Sonic Riders over Mario Kart DD and Wii.

Not buying into the typical "New sonic sucks" mindset everyone gets, I am planning on playing the Wii version and when i get the system get the "true" version of the game on the 360/PS3.

If you think the game sucks, I managed to read impressions and reviews from hard to please fans over at Sonic Retro and they are calling the 360/PS3 version the best 3D sonic game since the Adventure titles. That is a huge improvement from them literally REFUSING TO EVEN PLAY IT BACK WHEN VIDEOS FIRST SHOWN UP.
Nov 22, 2008 5:03 AM

Jul 2008
Sonic?

Good?
LEGENDOFTHEGALACTICHEROESLEGENDOFTHEGALACTI
Nov 22, 2008 5:07 AM
Jun 2008
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Nov 22, 2008 11:14 AM

Oct 2007
I'm having a fun time teasing my friend because he's a Sega/Sonic fan. Reviews so far show they ****ed up again.
Nov 22, 2008 12:25 PM

Aug 2008
at first i thought it was going to suck but since Yuji Naka don't have nothing to do with the game and the fact sega didn't just listened to what Naka said to put on there when he left Now the game is okay I plan on getting the wii version and i heard the music and it sounds real smooth " I was afraid the music would suck since the music in the first sonic unleashed trailer was awful . But im glad sega pleased everyone instead of the people that didn't want other characters in the game

so far some like the music but i was expecting them to hate it since it wasn't what they wanted '

But im looking forward for it
Nov 22, 2008 12:43 PM

Sep 2007
Yeah screw you guys I rented the Wii version and played a little of it. So far it is really fun. The warehog is fine if you don't mind beat em ups.

This isn't a screw up, this is the most fun 3d sonic since SA2 for me.
KuronoaNov 22, 2008 12:48 PM
Nov 22, 2008 2:35 PM

Feb 2008
The whole werehog thing just seems unusual for me.

Nov 22, 2008 2:58 PM

Apr 2008
Kuronoa said:
To be honest, only like one or two recent games that wasn't a port/remake was bad, everything else was either average or really good since SA2. And yes I prefer both Sonic Riders over Mario Kart DD and Wii.

Not buying into the typical "New sonic sucks" mindset everyone gets, I am planning on playing the Wii version and when i get the system get the "true" version of the game on the 360/PS3.

If you think the game sucks, I managed to read impressions and reviews from hard to please fans over at Sonic Retro and they are calling the 360/PS3 version the best 3D sonic game since the Adventure titles. That is a huge improvement from them literally REFUSING TO EVEN PLAY IT BACK WHEN VIDEOS FIRST SHOWN UP.

Omg I agree, after the "adventure", now its almost watch sonic run, at least you could do more things before... I guess
Nov 22, 2008 11:01 PM

Oct 2007
Kuronoa said:
Yeah screw you guys I rented the Wii version and played a little of it. So far it is really fun. The warehog is fine if you don't mind beat em ups.

This isn't a screw up, this is the most fun 3d sonic since SA2 for me.

The problem I see is no one wants a Sonic beat'em up.
Nov 23, 2008 5:03 AM

Sep 2007
Hostile said:

The problem I see is no one wants a Sonic beat'em up.

Played a couple of stages and it is far from just combat. There is quite a bit of it but Streets of Rage this is not. The platforming isn't anything special but Warehog really reminds me of Ristar when he grabs ledges and poles. Still, nothing that ruins the game for those open minded about all of it. Oh and glitch free as far as I am concern but I played with a GC controller.
The 360 version is said to have more balance of Sonic - warehog along with other stuff the Wii version is missing. That is why I want that version, the one they focused on in development.
Nov 23, 2008 7:50 PM

Nov 2007
I have no confidence in Sonic anymore.
Nov 24, 2008 2:15 PM

Oct 2008
I don't like most of the Sonic games, even though Sonic Team on the other hand is one of my favorite game designers. They are the ones who came up with Phantasy Star Universe, its sequel, a psp version, and also the unreleased ds version.

For people who loved every Sonic game, its gameplay, and also Sonic the Hedgehog would probably be more than happy that "Sonic: Unleashed" is coming out soon. (^_^)
Nov 24, 2008 3:47 PM

Sep 2007
Okay, not to flame people's opinion or anything but these things still bug me about reception of the Sonic series.

Do people actually play most of the Sonic games or just play the 3D platformers?
I can understand if someone played a few of console then handheld and hated them but if they play one or the other I am not listening to them.

Also do they HAVE to play the games expecting gameplay like the Genesis games? Most of the series from the past changed a lot. I just cannot compare the new games to the old for almost anything. Rush gameplay is just fine and that is just what they done with Unleashed, but with changes to it here and there. The right direction since after Adventure 2.

I can see people hating the gameplay we have now but there are people out there that makes talking about this series so frustrating.

Everyone is too divided as to what they want in the series, so hard to please.
"No more 3D" "We want more 3D" "Sonic should be the only playable character" "Why is Sonic the only character? I want xxxx playable too!" "I want Shadow!" "No more Shadow!" "We want open areas!" "Hubs are boring, get us to the stages right away." "No homing attack!" "give us more fantasy levels" "Crush 40 please!" "Get Ryan Drummond to voice!" "No dialog at all please!"
among others...

tl;dr
This is a series that doesn't come with a free pass in good discussion.
Nov 24, 2008 4:03 PM

Dec 2007
The normal Sonic parts look pretty sweet. The werehog parts look awful. Surprise, surprise, Sonic Team f*cks up another Sonic game...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 24, 2008 4:12 PM

Sep 2007
Kuronoa said:
Do people actually play most of the Sonic games or just play the 3D platformers?
I can understand if someone played a few of console then handheld and hated them but if they play one or the other I am not listening to them.

I've played quite a few of the sonic games, and the only one I've really liked was Sonic Adventure 2 for the dreamcast (and yes, that includes the original games for the genesis). I guess it's not really my series.

So yeah, @ this thread - I doubt I'll like it, since I haven't cared for the past 3 games in the main series.
Nov 24, 2008 7:11 PM

Oct 2007
Kuronoa said:
Okay, not to flame people's opinion or anything but these things still bug me about reception of the Sonic series.

Also do they HAVE to play the games expecting gameplay like the Genesis games? Most of the series from the past changed a lot. I just cannot compare the new games to the old for almost anything. Rush gameplay is just fine and that is just what they done with Unleashed, but with changes to it here and there. The right direction since after Adventure 2.

I can see people hating the gameplay we have now but there are people out there that makes talking about this series so frustrating.

Everyone is too divided as to what they want in the series, so hard to please.
"No more 3D" "We want more 3D" "Sonic should be the only playable character" "Why is Sonic the only character? I want xxxx playable too!" "I want Shadow!" "No more Shadow!" "We want open areas!" "Hubs are boring, get us to the stages right away." "No homing attack!" "give us more fantasy levels" "Crush 40 please!" "Get Ryan Drummond to voice!" "No dialog at all please!"
among others...

tl;dr
This is a series that doesn't come with a free pass in good discussion.

I have played the majority of them since my friend was a Sega "fanboy" (he owned a Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast and I also played a Sonic game or two on the Game Gear and DS). I don't think there's any divide among Sonic fans at all. My friend just wants a pure Sonic experience. Where Sega ****ed up again was bringing the bullshit that is a Sonic werehog.
Nov 25, 2008 6:56 AM

Aug 2007
there hasnt been a good sonic game since sonic 3.
blah
Nov 25, 2008 10:39 AM

Jun 2008
opeth_syndrome said:
there hasnt been a good sonic game since sonic 3.

I beg to differ. I think that Sonic Adventure was actually pretty kick-ass.
I'm back.
Nov 25, 2008 11:26 AM

May 2007
I predict it will be good in the Sonic Rush style stages and bad in the werehog stages.

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is one of my favorite video games ever, and it has all just been downhill, on the consoles, the handheld games are still good.
My anime list
Nov 25, 2008 1:04 PM

Sep 2007
Okay because nobody is doing it (I must be the only one playing a version right now) I'll give wii version impressions. It isn't a review though:

first off the wii version has a bad warehog -> sonic ratio of around 70 - 30. If you hate the warehog AVOID THE WII VERSION. People stated that the 360/PS3 game has enough sonic for every warehog and the stages are said to be better.

Now.

Sonic stages

THIS is what you wanted for a long time. The twitch-arcade style gameplay and stages with MANY paths make it worth replaying. Level design is near perfect and better than anything I've played since Sonic Adventure 2. Some will say it is like a roller coster ride but thanks to some rather flexable level design if you mess up on something most of the time you will get an alt route, bottomless pits are half as much as we saw in the past.
Sonic gets more missions than stages though. But I heard the wii version is the one that suffers. There is more 3D than 2D and on the 360/PS3 I heard there is much more of a balance...
If your worried about the boosting and such, I haven't yet resorted to spamming the thing

Warehog stages
This is a deal breaker for most. I can understand. After what happened in the past. I can tell you right now, this is better than the shooting stages and the fishing. The stages has combat and platforming. Much of the stages have more platforming than combat so no worries. The combat itself is rather fun, while it is forced on you it is more fun than the forced action from Sonic Heroes.
Platforming isn't anything special, but it has a similar "N64 days" gameplay to it. You have swinging from and climbing poles, you can hang on enemies like in Ristar and avoiding spikes like the old Sonic games.
Problems is that camera can be "off" in a few spots, the combat (while has decent depth) can resort to button mashing and more bottomless pits than on the normal Sonic stages.

Controls are fine. I played with a GC controller. Sonic's stages do not suffer from control problems and the camera behaves itself. Even better you could turn around and not suffer from camera problems. How nice.
Warehog is button mash happy and you have to hold down the "x" button on the GC controller to do stuff. While it takes a stage or two to get used to it I found no problems at all. Actually it works just fine for me holding down the button and just jump right. So great.

I haven't beat the game yet so I don't know what the later stages bring for the Wii version.
KuronoaNov 26, 2008 5:32 AM
Nov 25, 2008 1:06 PM

Jun 2008
mitamaking said:
I predict it will be good in the Sonic Rush style stages and bad in the werehog stages.

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is one of my favorite video games ever, and it has all just been downhill, on the consoles, the handheld games are still good.

Yeah, I loved that game. I cannot tell you how many hours I played that game when I was younger. Sega is kind of killing their main mascot, just like Nintendo is mercilessly murdering Mario.
I'm back.
Nov 25, 2008 6:49 PM

Aug 2008
Im so pissed off that Yuji Naka returned to sega now he's going to ruin future sonic games again >=(
Nov 25, 2008 7:55 PM

May 2008
the_prime_one said:
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Lol I love that video

Sonic games have been amazing in the past; personally i think SA2:B was great. I actually managed to get all A ranks on every mission... yes I'm a freak. but they were awesome games.

As for Unleashed, I really don't know. It just feels like a gimmick; you can see the directors sitting around the table:

"OK guys, how can we make more money?"
"I know! Let's have sonic transform!"
"Ooh, ooh, yeah, like into a... wolf!"
"Yeah, thats original!"
"And somewhere in the obsolete storyline, we can get away with it by saying you never knew he could transform!"
"Alright guys, we got a plan. good 1 minute conference, lets split and do this thing"
Nov 25, 2008 10:04 PM

Oct 2007
Kuronoa said:
Okay because nobody is doing it (I must be the only one playing a version right now) I'll give wii version impressions. It isn't a review though:

first off the wii version has a bad warehog -> sonic ratio of around 70 - 30. If you hate the warehog AVOID THE WII VERSION. People stated that the 360/PS3 game has enough sonic for every warehog and the stages are said to be better.

Now.

Sonic stages

THIS is what you wanted for a long time. This is worth the money alone. The twitch-arcade style gameplay and stages with MANY paths make it worth replaying. Level design is near perfect and better than anything I've played since Sonic Adventure 2. Some will say it is like a roller coster ride but thanks to some rather flexable level design if you mess up on something most of the time you will get an alt route, bottomless pits are half as much as we saw in the past.
Sonic gets more missions than stages though. But I heard the wii version is the one that suffers. There is more 3D than 2D and on the 360/PS3 I heard there is much more of a balance...
If your worried about the boosting and such, I haven't yet resorted to spamming the thing

Warehog stages
This is a deal breaker for most. I can understand. After what happened in the past. I can tell you right now, this is better than the shooting stages and the fishing. The stages has combat and platforming. Much of the stages have more platforming than combat so no worries. The combat itself is rather fun, while it is forced on you it is more fun than the forced action from Sonic Heroes.
Platforming isn't anything special, but it has a similar "N64 days" gameplay to it. You have swinging from and climbing poles, you can hang on enemies like in Ristar and avoiding spikes like the old Sonic games.
Problems is that camera can be "off" in a few spots, the combat (while has decent depth) can resort to button mashing and more bottomless pits than on the normal Sonic stages.

Controls are fine. I played with a GC controller. Sonic's stages do not suffer from control problems and the camera behaves itself. Even better you could turn around and not suffer from camera problems. How nice.
Warehog is button mash happy and you have to hold down the "x" button on the GC controller to do stuff. While it takes a stage or two to get used to it I found no problems at all. Actually it works just fine for me holding down the button and just jump right. So great.

I haven't beat the game yet so I don't know what the later stages bring for the Wii version.

All I have to say is you must have a lot of money to spend if you're saying a Sonic game with 70/30 (your assessment on the Wii version) or 60/40 (Shane from 1UP's assessment on the 360/PS3 version) werehog/regular Sonic is worth $50. It's too bad they didn't just make it a $20 PSN/XBL/WiiWare game with just pure Sonic.
Nov 26, 2008 5:25 AM

Sep 2007
Hostile said:

All I have to say is you must have a lot of money to spend if you're saying a Sonic game with 70/30 (your assessment on the Wii version) or 60/40 (Shane from 1UP's assessment on the 360/PS3 version) werehog/regular Sonic is worth $50. It's too bad they didn't just make it a $20 PSN/XBL/WiiWare game with just pure Sonic.

I forgot to say here that a PS2 version is the same as the Wii version for only 30$. If the balance turns you off for the wii's price you have a 20$ price cut there.
tbh that statement was for all the versions really since Sonic plays the same but different levels.

I'll be editing it, so thanks.
EDIT again: I decided to omit it, rewriting it makes it out of place.

Caper_the_fox100 said:
Im so pissed off that Yuji Naka returned to sega now he's going to ruin future sonic games again >=(

I doubt Sega will let Prope make a sonic game, yet. I do find it funny he went from programmer to producer.
If we have to blame someone for the past 3d games we need to fire the programmers, story writers and whoever thought we needed games rushed to the market. However with unleashed, I thought they did a decent job with the story for once, not the best but we didn't get all his friends shoved in every role.
KuronoaNov 26, 2008 5:45 AM
Mar 10, 2021 4:23 AM
Dec 2017
i came from the future and i'm here to tell you otherwise.

More topics from this board

» It is only rational to be paranoid these days of cybercriminals

DesuMaiden - 54 minutes ago

1 by hacker09 »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Nintendo the rising king of console industry!?

rohan121 - May 7

14 by DreamWindow »»
1 hour ago

» Is 8 gb vram enough these days?

Cnon - Mar 5

28 by deg »»
3 hours ago

» Do you guys play the Nintendo 3ds and Ps Vita in 2024?

DesuMaiden - 10 hours ago

7 by SnipeStrike »»
4 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3541 by DesuMaiden »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.