Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 23, 2012 10:01 PM

Sep 2012
You know, some times you want to buy a manga but you just can't find it in your native languaje or because it is just no available anymore. Then went read online or download it, but even so, you want that manga physically. Anyone of you tried to make a home-made manga that you couldn't find for X reason?

I mean, something like this (Sorry for the oversized images):

Would you tried it?
Dec 23, 2012 10:03 PM
Jul 2012
Pretty intersting to tried it.
Maybe yes for my favorite anime. Only for my favorite chapter.

But no haven't did it before.
Dec 23, 2012 10:04 PM

Sep 2012
Can't say that I have.
Dec 23, 2012 10:04 PM

Jun 2012
lol... This is beyond pirating... But no... I haven't
Dec 23, 2012 10:14 PM

Aug 2012
Ink is expensive man haha
Dec 23, 2012 10:20 PM

Sep 2012
YorozuyaGinSan said:

Haha yes I know, but does it make any diference between not buying anything legit because you can't have it for [Insert whatever reason/Excuse] and make this?. In some countries (like mine) is only illigal if you make a profit from it, for example I can print this for my personal use and it would be ok, the opposite goes if I print 100 copies for sale. I would do it if there's no other option. Still prefer to have it legit.
Dec 24, 2012 3:08 AM
Dec 2012
Jauregui said:
You know, some times you want to buy a manga but you just can't find it in your native languaje or because it is just no available anymore. Then went read online or download it, but even so, you want that manga physically. Anyone of you tried to make a home-made manga that you couldn't find for X reason?

Would you tried it?

HAHAHA, omg, seriously, this is obsession. :))) I have not tried yet, but I do buy manga instead since my dad would have a fit if he found out I overused the already overused printer.

But I did print anime photos and pasted them on my notebook cover when I was a freshie in highschool. :P
Dec 24, 2012 8:47 PM

Dec 2012
Haven't tried it and never really though about it lol, and that would probably need a lot of ink and isnt cheap so its easier to just read it online.
Dec 24, 2012 9:04 PM

Jun 2008
Not bad OP...

I wouldn't do it because it would utterly deplete my crappy printer ink and paper...

But I used to work at an office where I had the freedom to print indiscriminately and discretely.

Naturally, I abused this privilege and printed almost anything that you can think of.....although I never thought about making my own manga because I wasn't sure how good it would come out.

I think you did a good job though.
Dec 24, 2012 9:58 PM

Jul 2008
I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that.
Also, seems pointless.
Dec 26, 2012 11:12 AM

Apr 2012
My friend actually did print one piece for a french class.

The teacher asked us each to bring some French book to class for reading. He actually brought a french version of One piece, printed on A4 paper, to class. The teacher was speechless!
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Dec 26, 2012 5:59 PM

May 2011
Only with Light Novels that i rather read in physical form
Dec 26, 2012 6:20 PM

Sep 2012
JustALEX said:
Not bad OP...

I wouldn't do it because it would utterly deplete my crappy printer ink and paper...

But I used to work at an office where I had the freedom to print indiscriminately and discretely.

Naturally, I abused this privilege and printed almost anything that you can think of.....although I never thought about making my own manga because I wasn't sure how good it would come out.

I think you did a good job though.

I did my social service in my university and also had acces to print all the crap I wanted, but wasn't even intersted in manga at that time. Only used for homeworks and stuff.
But this isn't mine, this is from a random guy from the internet. He was explaining step by step how to print the manga. He did a good job thought.

bunny_lover said:
My friend actually did print one piece for a french class.

The teacher asked us each to bring some French book to class for reading. He actually brought a french version of One piece, printed on A4 paper, to class. The teacher was speechless!

Lol!

RockerXD said:
Only with Light Novels that i rather read in physical form

I would rather read everything in physical form if I could. I read manga in my iPod, I think I need a tablet asap...
Dec 26, 2012 10:15 PM

Jun 2011
i wanted, but then.. yeah..inks are expensive..
Whenever You Go, how ever lonely you get, No Matter how hard it is. Don't forget, I'll be here Thinking of you. You are definitely not alone! -Nanami Takahashi-
Dec 27, 2012 1:59 AM

Aug 2009
Way back in college, I did one for a project for one of my minor subjects. I exerted so much effort that the project came in late. I remember having the original sketches stashed somewhere.

:D

Dec 27, 2012 2:48 AM

Nov 2011
Sounds like a great idea, I'm gonna do it
Dec 27, 2012 2:51 AM
Nov 2010
They say everything is better home-made.
Dec 27, 2012 3:58 AM
Dec 2012
Jauregui, I suggest checking out blurb.com , you can create books from jpeg and png files using their software, then send it to the site, to be printed and delivered to you for a moderate cost.

If you order now, they have a deal where you can get $10 off shipping, you just need to type in CHEERS when it says "apply discount code"

If you're gonna print manga with blurb, you have to resize all the pages to 735 by 1155 pixels first, this can be done with software like imageconverter plus very easily and quickly.

OR you can just tell me what mangas you want printed, I will download them and put them up on blurb myself and you can just order them from my page for the same price you would pay normally.
Dec 27, 2012 1:59 PM

Sep 2012
YorozuyaGinSan said:

Defeats the point of pirating if you have to pay for ink.

Nope OP.
Dec 28, 2012 6:09 PM

Jun 2012
I saw this and laughed, havent ever done it xD never even thought about doing it xD if i have a "book" it has to be legit otherwise its not right :P
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Dec 31, 2012 3:30 PM

Sep 2012
Deceptikolz said:
Way back in college, I did one for a project for one of my minor subjects. I exerted so much effort that the project came in late. I remember having the original sketches stashed somewhere.

:D

Sukha said:
Sounds like a great idea, I'm gonna do it

Pics or didn't happen :P

super_manga_fan said:
Jauregui, I suggest checking out blurb.com , you can create books from jpeg and png files using their software, then send it to the site, to be printed and delivered to you for a moderate cost.

If you order now, they have a deal where you can get $10 off shipping, you just need to type in CHEERS when it says "apply discount code"

If you're gonna print manga with blurb, you have to resize all the pages to 735 by 1155 pixels first, this can be done with software like imageconverter plus very easily and quickly.

OR you can just tell me what mangas you want printed, I will download them and put them up on blurb myself and you can just order them from my page for the same price you would pay normally.

Thanks I'm gonna check it out!
May 11, 2015 6:40 AM
Nov 2014
Sorry for the necrobump, but recently I've been interested in printing some Manga and binding them as a hobby.

Specifically I've been trying to print some of the Manga I've bought on Comixology using screenshots. However, no matter what I do to the size of the page or the resolution, I can't get the pages to print well. They always turn out really grainy.

But the pictures you have in the OP post look like they're pretty clear, so I was wondering if you had any pointers for getting the pages to print well.
May 11, 2015 7:37 AM
May 2015
If you have it as a PDF (or you can upload JPGs just you'd have to order them)…you could always get it printed and bound by Lulu.com…it's relatively affordable…you can keep the project private so you aren't profiting…it's definitely a grey area though…but I find nothing quite beats the real thing!

I can't leave without sharing my own comic (which is how I know about Lulu.com)… http://rsjcheam.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/out-now.html

It's a thriller…so if anyone is interested…please check it out!
Any recommendations on where else would be best to share this would also be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
May 11, 2015 7:49 AM

May 2013
It's so costly it's not a good idea. Printing LN/novels, though, is not too bad of an idea. I probably would print if it's my own manga.
May 11, 2015 8:17 AM
Nov 2014
Well, I just tried printing some scanlated doujinshi, and that actually turned out pretty nice.

So, it's the quality of my screenshots that are the problem . . .
May 11, 2015 9:07 AM
Nov 2014
Found a Chrome extension that lets you save Comixology comics, and they print really well. Or, Injustice: Gods Among Us prints really well. I haven't tried any manga yet.

Either way, no more dealing with poor quality screenshots.
May 11, 2015 9:19 AM

Jan 2014
Noinochi said:
YorozuyaGinSan said:

Defeats the point of pirating if you have to pay for ink.

Nope OP.

What if something's never been licensed, and never will be? I'm sure that's a lot worse for Spanish-speaking fans than for us too. Also, what the OP said about it being legal.

I've only done this with Hayao Miyazaki's shorts, so I could lend them to some younger kids.
May 11, 2015 11:21 AM

Jun 2014
Derpin said:
Ink is expensive man haha
All credit goes to Sacred.
May 11, 2015 1:52 PM

Mar 2015
I think buying manga might be way cheaper, all that ink. O_o
May 11, 2015 2:04 PM

Sep 2013
YorozuyaGinSan said:
lol... This is beyond pirating
May 11, 2015 8:21 PM
Nov 2014
Expensive or not, it could be a fun hobby.
Oct 30, 2017 12:31 PM

Jun 2016
I get the point that it is beyond pirating, expensive etc, but what about products that are not going to be sold outside Japan?

One example would be Prisma Ilya which is totally different from the anime, it is still going on right now and will not be sold anytime soon (or never) in western countries.

Personally, i would like to have a physical copy of my favorite manga.
Oct 30, 2017 12:37 PM
Jan 2013
Heldarth said:
I get the point that it is beyond pirating, expensive etc, but what about products that are not going to be sold outside Japan?

One example would be Prisma Ilya which is totally different from the anime, it is still going on right now and will not be sold anytime soon (or never) in western countries.

Buying a volume from japan is probably cheaper than the ink you're spending here
much higher quality as well
gone bai bai
Oct 30, 2017 12:55 PM

Jun 2016
Mkim said:
Heldarth said:

Buying a volume from japan is probably cheaper than the ink you're spending here
much higher quality as well

True, true, except i would not understand anything since it's in Japanese ):
Also, it would be a problem to borrow it to friends for the same reason.
Oct 30, 2017 12:56 PM

Dec 2015
Not seen people doing this before.

Each to their own I guess.

Oct 30, 2017 1:07 PM

Nov 2011
schools typically charge 10 cents per page for a single black / white page.
if we assume a manga has 60 pages and print 2 manga pages per page, then printing it in school would cost (10 cents / page)(60 pages)(1/2) = $3.00
meanwhile, a legal copy only costs around $7 - 9, have better quality and a nice-looking book cover.
and unlike the pirated version, you can put it neatly in the bookshelf and see the beautiful artwork.

Heldarth said:
products that are not going to be sold outside Japan?

you can always import it through Amazon Japan or similar services.

edit: wtf this thread is from 2012! how do people find such old threads..
DreamingBeatsOct 30, 2017 1:11 PM
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Oct 30, 2017 1:09 PM

Sep 2017
Not sure if this counts but I printed my trash novel. XD
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 30, 2017 1:10 PM

Aug 2016
Sounds like it would be easier and cheaper to just go out and buy the damn thing. But I admire your dedication at least.
Oct 30, 2017 1:47 PM

Jun 2016
DreamingBeats said:
schools typically charge 10 cents per page for a single black / white page.
if we assume a manga has 60 pages and print 2 manga pages per page, then printing it in school would cost (10 cents / page)(60 pages)(1/2) = $3.00
meanwhile, a legal copy only costs around $7 - 9, have better quality and a nice-looking book cover.
and unlike the pirated version, you can put it neatly in the bookshelf and see the beautiful artwork.

Heldarth said:
products that are not going to be sold outside Japan?

you can always import it through Amazon Japan or similar services.

edit: wtf this thread is from 2012! how do people find such old threads..

HAHAHA well... Google search about printing scans :P

nymi said:
Not sure if this counts but I printed my trash novel. XD

Which one?
Nov 1, 2017 8:17 AM

Apr 2017
I tried it but I failed , i do not have a long experience in that so...

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Nov 1, 2017 8:21 AM

Apr 2011
It'll be cheaper to just buy it in physical form.

Dec 30, 2017 5:55 AM

Jun 2017
This is very expensive on both paper and ink tho XD
I'd try make one with my own manga as a doujin tho.

Also.. I think that the original imported copy is much more neat compared to pirated/home-made.
DevWinterCastDec 30, 2017 5:59 AM
Jan 2, 2018 10:02 AM

Sep 2016
Ink and paper are expensive but if i get the chance to print it then i will definitely do it
Feb 18, 2018 12:39 AM
Feb 2018
as far as I am concerned it shouldn't be considered piracy if the manga in question is out of print. besides the volumes that I am wanting to make, are not only out of print, but were never fully (officially) translated to English, the last translated volume is being sold on websites for over $70, pretty sure printing my own copies would be cheaper. besides, I would only be making single copies of each volume and never intend to sell any of them
Jan 15, 2021 10:28 PM
Dec 2020
NeoVenezia said:

Would you tried it?

There is some serious chemical binding going on there!!. Which class boy
Jan 16, 2021 6:08 AM

Apr 2020
Yes tried with dbs and it was wonderful I did it 5years earlier so the pages are now in origami

More topics from this board

Poll: » What is your favorite shounen arc?

HM0710 - Sep 6, 2021

16 by PushedCaraway »»
32 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1056 by Francis_0 »»
58 minutes ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

377 by Nissy »»
1 hour ago

» When will be the next chapter of One punch Man released ?

MagrMal - Apr 23

3 by GudBoy »»
3 hours ago

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

67 by rurina-chan »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.