Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 15, 2008 9:41 PM

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
interesting. did not expect them to use the same strategy as Fan. overall though, i thought it was a pretty boring episode. shouldn't have spent the whole episode on the preperation and battle.
Nov 16, 2008 1:29 AM

Aug 2008
It was interesting watching that Colonel go kamikaze on the Golden Sheep. I guess he had the right idea, considering a loss was automatic death anyways.

Nearly a snoozer except for that moment.
Gaming dabblings: iRO Chaos, US Pangya, iRO Valkyrie, KR Pangya

*^will fix this monstrosity later*
Nov 16, 2008 1:48 AM

Mar 2008
I didn't think it was boring. The pace doesn't bother me at all.
This kind of "old" storytelling never gets old.

It was another nice episode showing us more about Tytania and what a fearful enemy it is. Again we didn't get to see much of Fan, but this is not a story about Fan but about Tytania & Fan so both get equal amounts of showtime.

Next episode seems to be more about Fan and future comrades, though.
Nov 16, 2008 2:09 AM

Jan 2008
Brilliant episode. Not so much on the battle, but on the politics.

Turandia never really stood a chance- Tytania could have easily won with conventional tactics, even without the advantage of numbers (Turandia was basically using a hastily gathered fleet, largely made up of cadets). However, Ariabart's use of the cannons is significant, and not only for the two reasons Jouslain suggested. In my opinion, using that particular strategy, rather than employing standard tactics, is a sign to Lord Ajman that he (Ariabart) has learned from his defeat. Also, by employing a non-standard tactic, he is moving one step away from his conventionality, which was one of his weaknesses.

Still, we can see that the cannon tactic (or Ariabart's use of it) was imperfect, as compared to Cerebus. This either means that Ariabart's use of the tactic was flawed (possibly firing too early, or simply using a formation that couldn't take full advantage of it), or that he was a worse victim than the Turandians.

Finally, the bit on Ajman's brother is interesting. Looks like we have one more party in the mix.
Nov 16, 2008 2:54 AM

Oct 2007
Interesting, everything looks good in this episode. To me, it seems like Juslan is trying to end the war rather than improving Tytania. If this was the case, I would like to see Juslan joined force with Fan and fight against Idris in the future.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Nov 16, 2008 3:07 AM
Dec 2007
What was expected to be a side episode last time was the trigger to a very interesting piece of politics and a great battle... Nicely done once again ! Tytania is really developing right and getting clearer now. I guess that Tytania will be attacked both by the new faction of Ajman's brother and by rebels lead by Fan, who will probably end up joining princess Lydia soon. And of course, there are these internal disputes between the four dukes (especially Jouslain and Idris who are the most credible successors to Ajman and are absolute antagonists). That was by far the best episode since the beginning of the series, and we can feel that the real story is almost started, so just a little patience !

Siva said:
I would like to see Juslan joined force with Fan and fight against Idris in the future.

Very good and idealistic idea, but it won't ever happen since main characters never change sides in Yoshiki Tanaka's works, and barely meet in person usually. Tanaka prefers to develop his characters to be closer psychologically but there's aways a barrier that prevents them to join forces and they never do in the end (like Reinhard and Yang from LOGH who have a lot in common but never side with one another because they believe in their ideals, same thing in Arslan etc...).
JacutNov 16, 2008 3:13 AM

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Nov 16, 2008 5:01 AM

Jun 2008
Average episode didn't enjoy it much.
Didn't expect that he will do the same tactic.
Nov 16, 2008 11:35 AM

May 2008
Loved it, way better than the last ep. I love the tactics and the politics :P
Nov 16, 2008 12:49 PM
Oct 2008
I had thought fan would play a bigger role then this but i guess its still early, decent show action is pretty good not enough of it though it really gets slowed down when it becomes a politics show
Nov 16, 2008 6:08 PM

Jan 2008
akagi111 said:
I had thought fan would play a bigger role then this but i guess its still early, decent show action is pretty good not enough of it though it really gets slowed down when it becomes a politics show

I think many (myself included) do watch it for the politics rather than the action.
Nov 17, 2008 2:24 AM

Feb 2005
lordshadowisle said:
akagi111 said:

I think many (myself included) do watch it for the politics rather than the action.

Indeed. It is politics that spur nations into action after all. More interesting to see the whole picture as opposed to just the battles.

It's still a bit silly to see how they attempt to lure the enemy into a trap at the cost of many of their own ships. Surely they must be expensive to produce. But I guess you could always salvage a derelict wreck.
Nov 17, 2008 5:27 AM

Aug 2008
Love it and I felt so sorry for the Colonel who was so brave but ended up losing...sigh.
My heart was pumping when he was trying the "kamikaze" skill on the Golden Sheep. Phew...
They see me trollin', they hatin'.
Nov 17, 2008 5:43 AM

Feb 2005
Leinel said:
Love it and I felt so sorry for the Colonel who was so brave but ended up losing...sigh.
My heart was pumping when he was trying the "kamikaze" skill on the Golden Sheep. Phew...

Oh he'll be back. You didn't really see his ship getting destroyed, so I'm sure he survived somehow, if not, they wouldn't have introduced him and "killed" him like that at all.
Nov 17, 2008 6:24 AM

May 2008
I honestly hope that the colonel returns, but they also introduced characters on the last ep and killed them in the end :S. But he will probably return, he had almost no screen time
Nov 17, 2008 7:14 AM

Aug 2008
Soulstrider said:
I honestly hope that the colonel returns, but they also introduced characters on the last ep and killed them in the end :S. But he will probably return, he had almost no screen time

Agree, agree. Or else I would had typed
Leinel said:
ended up losing dead
They see me trollin', they hatin'.
Nov 17, 2008 9:39 AM

Jan 2008
Leinel said:
Soulstrider said:

Leinel said:
ended up losing dead
Well, if Tytania is indeed LOGH's successor then he won't be returning; minor characters drop like flies.

Still, the colonel was the sort of interesting character that'll make a fine addition to the anti-tytanian faction. As the Turandian admiral remarked, you'll need people who break the traditions in order to defeat Tytania.
Nov 17, 2008 9:40 AM

Jul 2007
Good episode yet again :D
Humm, I'm starting to like Lord Jouslain most out of the Tytania people now, I feel sorry for him. He dosen't really want people to die by the looks of things, one of those characters who seem to not like fighting.
I have a feeling we'll properly end up seeing the Colonel return, as was said before we didn't see him die exactly, especially at how he was introduced. But who knows with this anime :]
Tytania sure is feared with the power they have, especially at how they were able to quickly wrap up that battle in a heartbeat really.

Looking forward to the next episode ~

You told me to make you feel [color=#CC6600]like you're in heaven
[/color]
Nov 17, 2008 11:18 AM
Feb 2008
lordshadowisle said:
Leinel said:
Soulstrider said:

Leinel said:
ended up losing dead
Well, if Tytania is indeed LOGH's successor then he won't be returning; minor characters drop like flies.

Still, the colonel was the sort of interesting character that'll make a fine addition to the anti-tytanian faction. As the Turandian admiral remarked, you'll need people who break the traditions in order to defeat Tytania.

I don't think the Colonel is going to come back into the show. I think his purpose in this anime is to show that innovative techniques in battle that tend to go against the old traditions is what it's going to take to defeat Tytania. Fan showed that in the first episode... that's why he is so important.

Arya-one of the dukes, and Juslain-the other duke, seem to be pretty cautious now and don't uphold that conceited look like they did in the beginning. I think they realize that Tytania isn't all that powerful, and the fear they had throughout the universe is weakening slowly but surely.
Nov 17, 2008 5:06 PM

Sep 2008
Good episode, but I want to see more Fan....he is fun :)
Slow pace in this show really suits me after all other shows which seem to be in a rush...
Nov 17, 2008 9:53 PM

Aug 2008
Still waiting on Lydia... come on, she's the main focus of all the posters. Although she was kinda cute when the plant attacked her.
脱ぎません!_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Nov 18, 2008 2:16 PM

Aug 2008
meh, the color coding, and art direction of this show in general is really grating me. The story is still not as focused as I would like it to be, but the theme song is still the greatest. I feel like I'm waiting for something big to happen to kind of force things in motion, because right now this feels more like checkers than chess.
Nov 18, 2008 8:43 PM

Dec 2007
Interesting about Ariabart to use the same strategy what Fan did. The plot is getting more interesting. I’m looking forward to more.
Nov 19, 2008 6:04 AM

Oct 2008
Hmm, in LOGH there was one actor which changed sides - that old admiral who joined Free Planets after destruction of noble forces by Reinhard.
Nov 19, 2008 12:32 PM

Sep 2008
I liked how he had the balls to do the same thing that made him lose. I have to give him total props for actually doing that. I do believe he will grow the most during this series and I am still wonderin what Fan's role will be later on...
Nov 20, 2008 2:29 AM

Jan 2008
Przemos19 said:
Hmm, in LOGH there was one actor which changed sides - that old admiral who joined Free Planets after destruction of noble forces by Reinhard.
Merkatz ? Yeah, there was some resemblance there.
Nov 20, 2008 10:45 AM
Dec 2007
lordshadowisle said:

Still, we can see that the cannon tactic (or Ariabart's use of it) was imperfect, as compared to Cerebus. This either means that Ariabart's use of the tactic was flawed (possibly firing too early, or simply using a formation that couldn't take full advantage of it), or that he was a worse victim than the Turandians.
I think he was too conventional even when using unconventional methods. Fan's trick was to pretend to be fighting a conventional and losing battle, fake a retreat that would prompt the opposing army to enclose your forces and cut all escape, and then when all the forces are neatly lined up, take them all out from the center of the circle. It's basically luring your prey into the trap. The blondie Duke merely bid his time until the enemy forces were closer and then blew as most as he could with the cannons, rather than tricking them the way Fan did.

Nov 21, 2008 7:07 PM

Sep 2007
I've actually relatively enjoyed the series thus far. Atleast in my top 3 of the season. If you can get past the bishounen, then its all pretty easy to digest. Juslain and Fan are easily my 2 favorite characters at this point. As for the episode itself, 4/5.
Nov 25, 2008 7:52 PM

May 2007
I liked the last little bit otherwise a little boring, still a good watch.
My anime list
Nov 27, 2008 9:59 AM

Feb 2008
Baman said:

It's still a bit silly to see how they attempt to lure the enemy into a trap at the cost of many of their own ships. Surely they must be expensive to produce. But I guess you could always salvage a derelict wreck.
My thoughts exactly, the Tytania ships were going down like flies, I was wondering if sacrificing all those ships and soldiers just for a flashy victory was really worth it against cadets.
Dec 3, 2008 12:35 AM

Nov 2007
what? is it me or is lord jouslain seeming like a good guy now. his character confuses me so much.
Oct 8, 2009 10:51 PM

Jul 2008
fail, just fail. if they had attacked they might have actually done something, but they just retreated
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Oct 19, 2013 2:47 PM

Nov 2009
Kind of glad that the one Duke that fought the war didn't die . . .
Mar 14, 2015 3:52 AM

Nov 2009
Ariabart ripping off Hyulick's strategy on a prompt fromJouslain is the same as them admitting just how bad Fan schooled Tytania (especially considering that Fan lost only about a hundred people in the battle of Cerberus all in all, while Ariabart more than 100,000).

And what that battle showed is
a. even though Tytania is by no means invincible, it's still pretty much unbeatable for regular armies even when the numbers are pretty much even; if someone else, nameless, inexperienced and young as he was, pulled it off doesn't mean they can pull it off too, as it takes a very specific type of rare unconventional tactical genius to oneup the opponent like that which Turandia and their average-at-best commanders are definitely not.

b. although Arabart ripped off Fan's strategy, his execution of it was lacking (destroying only half the enemy fleet and allowing a suicide attack that was a rather close call), which only emphasized the difference in the magnitude of Fan and Ariabart's tactical talent: for Fan, that strategy was natural, stemming from his free spirit and unrestrained ways of thinking; for Ariabart,trying to fit something so out-of-the-box into his world of orthodox was bound to feel unnatural and, as a result, turned out to be less effective.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tytania Episode 26 Discussion

skriticos - Mar 31, 2009

49 by oooo3333 »»
May 3, 2022 2:36 PM

Poll: » Tytania Episode 20 Discussion

noteDhero - Mar 13, 2009

21 by Cnon »»
Feb 22, 2021 1:58 PM

Poll: » Tytania Episode 21 Discussion

cyruz - Mar 20, 2009

25 by Accelerator48 »»
Oct 22, 2020 6:34 AM

» Does the anime cover the entirety of the novels?

Rarestar - Jun 1, 2019

2 by Roloko »»
Jun 28, 2020 6:56 PM

Poll: » Tytania Episode 17 Discussion

Faust721 - Feb 14, 2009

21 by Gundam_Sage »»
Feb 5, 2019 9:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.