Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 10, 2012 1:08 PM

Jan 2008
This, then this.

Anyways, I found this episode pretty fun, specifically the transformation part. Kirito tasting Lyfa's hand. Oh dam.
Nov 10, 2012 1:10 PM

Jan 2008
Oh damn. Imouto is uber-cute. Give up on Asuna, Kirito! =D
Nov 10, 2012 1:13 PM

Dec 2011
Magic casting looks really cool.
Nov 10, 2012 1:14 PM

Mar 2010
How is Kirito's class useless compared to others? I really dont get it.

he can turn into a big monster and rampage all over the place - you can do big damage although you'd be easy target , also he has hyperspeed. O.O

Illusion skills arent bad either ( kirito - kage - nojutsu lmao), he could clone himself or be really tricky..

I found this episode enjoyable.
Nov 10, 2012 1:19 PM
Oct 2012
Lylaaz said:

he can turn into a big monster and rampage all over the place - you can do big damage although you'd be easy target , also he has hyperspeed. O.O

Illusion skills arent bad either ( kirito - kage - nojutsu lmao), he could clone himself or be really tricky..

The skill doesn't improve your stats and most players just get turned into a small monster since the outcome is based on your character's skills and such. It's useful for Kirito here since he gets a really big transformation that gives him a longer reach and scares the other players so they break up their formation.
Nov 10, 2012 1:19 PM

Oct 2012
This episode is AWESOME SAUCE! The fight against 12 prick is epic going wild in demon form DAMN! Suguha has awesome cleavage during the fight and IRL xD

need more episodes!
Nov 10, 2012 1:21 PM
Jul 2012
This episode severely lacks sugou. I am dissapoint.

BTW at the beginning kirito said he had to memorize english words, none of the words in the spells were english, they sounded german....
Nov 10, 2012 1:22 PM
Sep 2012
Lylaaz said:

well the thing that they don't mention about that spell in the anime is that you dont actually get any stronger when you transform, you just turn into an equivalently powerful creature, which means that scince kirito is approximatly as strong as The Gleam Eyes he turned into that..... without the sword for some reason. And as for the illusion thing people don't like the fact that they deal no dmg on their own so you would actually have to think before using them :P

All in all i loved this episode, the duel next episode is going to be amazing I think.
Nov 10, 2012 1:22 PM
Sep 2011
Lylaaz said:

Most illusion spells aren't really good in real battle. The transform speels has such mechanics

The spell Kirito is casting is an illusion magic that makes a player look like a monster. But the magic is not useful in actual combat. Because the shape depends randomly on the player's combat skills, usually the result is some weak monster, with no change in stats, since most people are aware of this it won't frighten them.

So due to high Kirito stats and luck such terrifying monster was born. Next time monster can be weaker, so the spell is not really reliable.

Edit: I was third to explain. The spell usually doesn't change stats, but here it was the other case.
Nov 10, 2012 1:23 PM

Aug 2011
JavierR said:
This episode severely lacks sugou. I am dissapoint.

As am I.
Nov 10, 2012 1:27 PM

Jul 2012
Decent 3/5 :)

Nov 10, 2012 1:31 PM

Oct 2012
Amazing episode, And it seems like the next one is going to be very interesting as well.
Nov 10, 2012 1:32 PM

Mar 2011
Pretty good episode.Kirito turned into boss from SAO.
Nov 10, 2012 1:36 PM

Sep 2008
it was an ok episode...was thinking it could have been more epic but I guess after having read the LN and seeing how this series has panned out from the beginning, it goes to show that expectations are a bitch. Oh well, 6 more episodes to go and seeing how this ends, I'm hoping if they do create another season that it'd be picked up by another studio or a different director(like say bones as the studio and Shinichiro Watanabe on the storyboard). :)

prismheart said:
This show has taught me that online games are serious business.

it is if your a ninja, chinese farmer, or a guild leader who kicks you for missing 1 raid
Nov 10, 2012 1:44 PM

Apr 2012
Amazing episode!
Dies Irae! :)
Nov 10, 2012 1:46 PM

Dec 2011
Damn. I didnt expect Kirito to transform into a monster and just went berserk!

I am kinda not excited on the war that will happen since Kirito isn't needed there really... but I guess we will get to see the other leaders.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 10, 2012 2:03 PM
Oct 2010
Two things...

1. Kirito has gotten more god mode powers and..

2. Why are they making the in-game events and backstabs sound so dire? Like there's really no RL consequences in the game like in SAO so it just seems overly dramatic.. and lmao @ having something like a paralysing arrow like that in the game, I mean how long would something like that really last in a game?
GD1551Nov 10, 2012 2:07 PM
Nov 10, 2012 2:05 PM

Dec 2009
Sidetracked. I knew it.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Nov 10, 2012 2:09 PM

Jul 2012
skudoops said:
Two things...

1. Kirito has gotten another god mode power..

2. Why are they making the in-game events and backstabs sound so dire? Like there's really no RL consequences in the game like in SAO so it just seems overly dramatic.. and lmao @ having something like a paralysing arrow like that in the game, I mean how long would something like that really last in a game?

1. no not really. his stats are already nearly maxed out from the SAO character transfer

2. if it is something you enjoy why not take it a bit more seriously? things can be fun in this instance with out the herp derp of online play.
Nov 10, 2012 2:10 PM

May 2011
skudoops said:
Two things...

Considering the end game content of this game is bad game design, causing a huge imbalance between the races, its somewhat serious. And if you played MMOs such as WoW, some of the higher up guilds are very serious about the content, i know it first hand :P.
Nov 10, 2012 2:15 PM

Aug 2011
ALO is actually much, much better than SAO. This game's dynamic duo (Kirito/Leafa) is also way more likeable than Kirito/Asuna. Maybe I'll consider bumping my score up. Maybe.

But what the fuck, Kirito; why in God's name did you bite her fingers...

And I still don't get why Sugu hasn't figured it out that Kirito is her brother. Wouldn't she know from news or other sources (like Sugou did) that "Kirito" was the name used by Kirigaya Kazuto, the guy who beat SAO?
Nov 10, 2012 2:20 PM

Sep 2008
itsvero said:
And I still don't get why Sugu hasn't figured it out that Kirito is her brother. Wouldn't she know from news or other sources (like Sugou did) that "Kirito" was the name used by Kirigaya Kazuto, the guy who beat SAO?

It was never publicly displayed that Kirito was the savior of SAO. Only reason why NTR dude knows is because his top admin of ALO(who owns SAO's old server)
Nov 10, 2012 2:24 PM
Oct 2010
lanfire said:
skudoops said:
Two things...

1. no not really. his stats are already nearly maxed out from the SAO character transfer

2. if it is something you enjoy why not take it a bit more seriously? things can be fun in this instance with out the herp derp of online play.

1. I was referring to the super speed and the OP monster form, unless I'm forgetting the speed in an episode he had neither of those in SAO.

2. I meant they made it sound so dire, I understand taking a game you invest time into more seriously but damn, you swore the guy was doing his backstabbing IRL. Although I've seen enough E-rage to know where you are coming from with this.
Nov 10, 2012 2:41 PM

Jul 2012
skudoops said:
lanfire said:
skudoops said:
Two things...

1. I was referring to the super speed and the OP monster form, unless I'm forgetting the speed in an episode he had neither of those in SAO.

2. I meant they made it sound so dire, I understand taking a game you invest time into more seriously but damn, you swore the guy was doing his backstabbing IRL. Although I've seen enough E-rage to know where you are coming from with this.

He has always been pretty fast in this series and especially now with using the older nerve gear with the less restrictions on the full drive.

"The spell Kirito casting is an illusion magic that makes a player look like a monster. But the magic is not useful in actual combat. Because the shape depends randomly on the player's combat skills, usually the result is some weak monster, with no change in stats, since most people are aware of this it won't frighten them." - LNv4p215

I guess 2 years trapped in a death game fucks with the psyche a bit.
Nov 10, 2012 2:42 PM

Mar 2012
skudoops said:
lanfire said:
skudoops said:
Two things...

He did had that speed when he took out the Salamander guys in Ep 16.
and MMO is serious business, really, do you even EVE Online??
Nov 10, 2012 2:43 PM

May 2011
skudoops said:
lanfire said:
skudoops said:
Two things...

I'm sure he had his speed in SAO, but the monster form was just a spell in ALO, most likely cosmetic and doesn't increase your stats in anyway.
Nov 10, 2012 2:44 PM

Jul 2012
KaiKatsuya said:

I totally EVE Online o/
-watch your 6
Nov 10, 2012 2:47 PM

Aug 2009
skudoops said:
lanfire said:
skudoops said:
Two things...

He did have that speed in SAO just like Asuna and other front liners did..At least in the LN.In the Ln it is even stated that the animation from the system couldnt keep up with them so you could only see a blur.
Nov 10, 2012 2:57 PM

Jan 2008
The speed is explained in the novel. It's not based on skills or stats. It should be fine if I post it since it isn't spoiling anything.

Vol 3, Ch 2. said:

In this world, only one thing controls how fast you can move: the speed at which your brain receives signals from the «Full Dive» system and reacts to them. Amusphere sends signals to the brain's cognitive faculties, then the brain processes these signals and produces signals which control the motor functions of the body. These signals are then intercepted by the Amusphere system. The faster a player's brain is able to do this, the faster the player can move in the game. Innate reflexes are one of the things that determine how fast this happens but the speed is also improved with experience, so the longer one plays the faster they can move.
Nov 10, 2012 2:58 PM

Jan 2011
lanfire said:
KaiKatsuya said:

I totally EVE Online o/
-watch your 6

that's some hardcore stuff right there those EVE players are as serious as you can get lol

was funny watching him go all Nom nom in his big beast mode,illusions weak? yeah i guess in combat but vs players i think it would be quite powerful look at mesmers in gw2 :P.
Nov 10, 2012 2:59 PM
Jun 2010
Onbuu said:
Oh Kirito,Kirito... You should target the healers(and other cloth users) first and not try bash the plate users. This way you might not need to use your "DW mode"^^ episode gets 3/5

If you're going to follow traditional mmorpg tactic, then he will never get close to the healer if all 6 players alternate between their pull / knock-back skills =p lets not forget their binding and immoblizing skills. within common 30s cool-down, with 6 people is at least 5s difference if it's only one skills. For a pvp focus game, they will most likely have 2-3 type of similar skill. It doesn't have to be high level, they can be low level as utility skills too =)

The best he can move for is movement skills and hope the other team mess up on using the wrong skill or reacting too slowly. This is also considering the fact that there is no collision detection between players to break LoS as well.

---

My theory on the illusion skills is that the attacks are done by kirito sword, but you don't see his body. like using the hand to attack from the would be a horizontal slash, and a bite is a vertical slash. As for how he carry the other players, is by giving off the illusion that they are being lifted, but are probably in fact still standing on the ground.

Of course, their illusion can be like Mesmir class in GW2 where the illusion themselves have physical bodies and can do damage. heh, I play this class using sword & pistol. I love to use my illusion as suicide bombers in burst amounts of if they are about to die, while my phantasm help diss damage =) I haven't GW2 in a long time, focus on studying. If I want to play game for a break, I play torchlight 2 or cs:go for 30mins or so ^^; definitely not enough time for mmorpg, elsewise I want to try out Raiderz from PerfectWorld.
LazyLuongNov 10, 2012 3:03 PM
Nov 10, 2012 3:02 PM

Jul 2012
Paul said:
The speed is explained in the novel. It's not based on skills or stats. It should be fine if I post it since it isn't spoiling anything.

Vol 3, Ch 2. said:

In this world, only one thing controls how fast you can move: the speed at which your brain receives signals from the «Full Dive» system and reacts to them. Amusphere sends signals to the brain's cognitive faculties, then the brain processes these signals and produces signals which control the motor functions of the body. These signals are then intercepted by the Amusphere system. The faster a player's brain is able to do this, the faster the player can move in the game. Innate reflexes are one of the things that determine how fast this happens but the speed is also improved with experience, so the longer one plays the faster they can move.

Don't forget since he is using the first generation of the VR tech the NerveGear there are less restrictions with the interaction of the signals to his brain so that gives him another edge over the ALO players aside from his 2 years in SAO.

katsu044 said:
lanfire said:
KaiKatsuya said:

I totally EVE Online o/
-watch your 6

that's some hardcore stuff right there those EVE players are as serious as you can get lol

Ya know for as crazy as it gets sometimes. It has been some of the most crazy wildly amusing fun in a game I have played!
Nov 10, 2012 3:08 PM

Jun 2010
Note that Kirito and Asuna is the fastest player in SAO. So that end scene wasn't really something strange. Lyfa is one of the fastest Slyphs in flying and Kirito is more faster than him. That's at least what I recall in the novel.

The monster thingy was just an illusion skill used by the Spriggans. It's not really overpowered since it's just an illusion. Yui told Kirito to memorize that certain skill since it seems that it will be useful.

About the episode, I didn't like how they didn't explain how the stuff works AGAIN. Like for example, the classes. I know that it's not really important but they used it in a conversation in this episode so some people is confused. But it was still a nice episode, still a better adaptation than SAO arc. Btw 6 episodes left, I guess they are going to skip the
Too bad I wanna watch that part. I hope they at least make it as an OVA if they are not going to animate it.

Next episode will be epic!! Can't wait!!

P.S I hate the new discussion rule >.<
Nov 10, 2012 3:08 PM
Jun 2010
heh, too hardcore for me, I think I will stick to D&D (P&P) instead =p
Nov 10, 2012 3:10 PM

Aug 2009
Paul said:

Vol 3, Ch 2. said:

For Kirito, SAO's skills are his "innate reflexes".His speed,sword skills,reaction time are just like they were during his final moments in SAO.
To put it more correctly Kirito's skills in ALO isnt his status from SAO but his playing time of 2 constant years.
Nov 10, 2012 3:12 PM

Jul 2012
Oh man, betrayal? Sounds similar to those scams from Eve Online.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Nov 10, 2012 3:13 PM

Feb 2012
Damn looks like War is going to break out soon, those Salamander duds are going to bust in that party uninvited.

Looking forward to the next one.
Nov 10, 2012 3:20 PM
Jun 2010
If you enjoy this episode, you are going to enjoy the next episode though I can see troller hating on the upcoming fan service scene XD

But yea, this arc was done far better than SAO arc. I am actually enjoying the series now, unlike before. Well I'm off to rewatch Ixion Saga DT, sadly not as funny as Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou, but it starts off with MC playing online game as well.
Nov 10, 2012 3:29 PM
Jul 2012
This anime tends to leave a lot of shit out, judging by the posts.
Nov 10, 2012 3:29 PM

Aug 2009
LazyLuong said:
If you enjoy this episode, you are going to enjoy the next episode though I can see troller hating on the upcoming fan service scene XD

But yea, this arc was done far better than SAO arc. I am actually enjoying the series now, unlike before. Well I'm off to rewatch Ixion Saga DT, sadly not as funny as Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou, but it starts off with MC playing online game as well.

Fanservice?You mean
Nov 10, 2012 3:31 PM

Aug 2009
JavierR said:
This anime tends to leave a lot of shit out, judging by the posts.
Explanations/info dumps.And many fights and especially this one were more "hardcore" in the LN.Or at least that's how we imagined it.
Nov 10, 2012 3:45 PM

Sep 2012
so... Kirito is cheating again isn't he?
Nov 10, 2012 3:47 PM

Mar 2012
winter_mint said:

Nop, every Spriggan have that skill, but unless they're overpowered like Kirito (2 year worth of... GRIND), they won't become something like that.
Nov 10, 2012 3:55 PM

Jan 2008
KaiKatsuya said:
winter_mint said:

Nop, every Spriggan have that skill, but unless they're overpowered like Kirito (2 year worth of... GRIND), they won't become something like that.

Well technically, he's been 'cheating' ever since he started ALO.
Nov 10, 2012 3:56 PM

Jun 2010
KaiKatsuya said:
winter_mint said:

His years of experience in VRMMORPG doesn't really have anything to do with that skill. ( If you're referring to the illusion magic )
Nov 10, 2012 3:56 PM
Jul 2012
kirito likes to cheat in his video games doesnt he.
Nov 10, 2012 3:59 PM

Feb 2012
The Fight By Scoops

1. Kirito-(kun) charges in, get knocked back, fireballs hits him in the face. Not very effective.
  2. Kirito decides to develep this tactic: Kirito screams a little bit more this time and charges in the exact same way, getting hit by the fireballs yet again. Still not very effective
  3. Kirito notice that is might not be the screaming that is the issue here. Kirito decides to scream even more, just in case, as he charges in. This time he tries to separate the shields with his hand and sword(for some fucking weird reason). Obviously, this doesn't work. But lucky, Lyfa is there to block the fireballs this time.
  4. Kirto realize that it's time for a big change of plan, and chants his spell.
  5. Kirito become a big ass shit monster and fucks everything up.

The End

Hope you enjoyed it.
Nov 10, 2012 4:04 PM

Nov 2009
skudoops said:

All Spriggans have that speed skill since the beginning, it's just Kirito is abnormally faster because of his stats and his strong reflexes and movement from his real life experiences and traits. As well as that illusion magic that turned him to a monster from his imagination, the illusion shapes by how strong the imagination of the caster is.
MagicFlierNov 10, 2012 4:09 PM
Nov 10, 2012 4:04 PM
Oct 2010
KaiKatsuya

He did had that speed when he took out the Salamander guys in Ep 16.
and MMO is serious business, really, do you even EVE Online??[/quote said:

EVE is an extreme but I can see your point either way.

Paul said:

Vol 3, Ch 2. said:

To be honest, they should have found a way to explain these things in the anime. Maybe like Kirito reading it in a manual or something but for a non LN reader like myself you can see how it looks like these things are just happening.
Nov 10, 2012 4:06 PM

Jun 2010
Well, that's the problem with this whole adaptation. They ain't explaining shit.
Pages (14) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

64 by SIimyBread »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2012

705 by amf85 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2012

686 by amf85 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2012

745 by amf85 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Apr 23, 4:42 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.