Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Dec 13, 2012 3:27 AM
Nov 2012
insan3soldiern said:
I guess like a grading scale from school or something?

Most likely. 10/10 = 100% = No flaws = Perfect.
Like I said, it all depends on how one views 10/10. And it also depends on if a person takes the number more seriously or the meaning of that rating more seriously. For example, people like me have not yet found a 'perfect anime' (10/10' = 100% = Perfect). Therefore, nothing is worth rating as a 'masterpiece'.

But some would say "Masterpiece" doesn't mean "Perfect", which is true. So the numbers (10/10) here would just represent "Masterpiece", not 100% (Perfect).

I know it can be irritating if others contradict your own standard of thinking or viewing things. But we are all entitled to our own opinions in the end, whether it's stupid and makes no sense or not.
Dec 13, 2012 8:48 AM

Mar 2012
uneglace said:
insan3soldiern said:
I guess like a grading scale from school or something?

Most likely. 10/10 = 100% = No flaws = Perfect.
Like I said, it all depends on how one views 10/10. And it also depends on if a person takes the number more seriously or the meaning of that rating more seriously. For example, people like me have not yet found a 'perfect anime' (10/10' = 100% = Perfect). Therefore, nothing is worth rating as a 'masterpiece'.

But some would say "Masterpiece" doesn't mean "Perfect", which is true. So the numbers (10/10) here would just represent "Masterpiece", not 100% (Perfect).

I know it can be irritating if others contradict your own standard of thinking or viewing things. But we are all entitled to our own opinions in the end, whether it's stupid and makes no sense or not.

For me 11 is perfect, thats why u cant rate it that. For me 10 has to be a combination of both personel enjoment and quality of show. If i find myself struggling to find significant nitpicks it will get a 10. The 10 is there to be used, the 11 is the imaginary ideal of perfect tht u can never get.
Dec 13, 2012 8:57 AM

Oct 2010
Oh, this again.

nil- said:
To answer regardless, let's take the scale from 1 to 10 as literally as possible. Then 10 represents the ultimate masterpiece you'd watch on repeat for the rest of your life, while 1 represents the ultimate abomination you'd rather gouge your eyes and puncture your eardrums before watching another second. In this scenario, neither is reachable, as they simply become theoretical maximums and minimums never attainable by a practical reality.

Now this is obviously an exaggeration, but there's method in this madness. When giving out how one should rate a series, the 1 to 10 scale should be scaled, well, symmetrically. In other words, giving 10s out for masterpieces and yet never giving 1s or 2s because you claim "no series could be that bad" causes a misconstrued and awfully contrived scale. Hence, if you find yourself never giving 1-2s because you never think an anime could really get that bad, then certainly you shouldn't even be giving 10s because an anime could never get that good..

I doubt that people who claim -if they actually do- that no series could be worth of 1-2s have been exposed to shows that are so abhorrently bad for them that defy their preconceptions. But anyway, people in general don't give 1-2s simply because they don't watch stuff that deserves 1-2s.

Second point. The symmetry. I guess what you mean, but we are not robots. Therefore, our rating is biased towards our viewing trends. Since people tend to pick the shows trying to fit their tastes it's only normal that the average is higher than how it should be with an homogeneous set of ratings.

nil- said:
EDIT: And yes. This is a problem with many people's rating scales. Moreover, many often find that they need extra room (like an 8.5 or 9.5), and the officially accepted suggestion is that you're probably not making good use of your 1-5s. Downsize things appropriately, which is what you should have done in the first place.

You again assume more things than the ones you have. If I like a show, I see no point in giving it a 1-5, because 5 sets the limit where I start to dislike what I watch. Therefore, I'm not giving a 3 to something I legitimately enjoy only because my levels of enjoyment exceed the number of ratings I have to describe them. After all, I have a scale of ten numbers to apply on (potentially) thousands of shows. Assuming that there won't be big discrepancies even at the scale of one number is pretty absurd.
Dec 13, 2012 10:04 AM

Apr 2012
jal90 said:

I doubt that people who claim -if they actually do- that no series could be worth of 1-2s have been exposed to shows that are so abhorrently bad for them that defy their preconceptions. But anyway, people in general don't give 1-2s simply because they don't watch stuff that deserves 1-2s.

I'm not talking about people who simply haven't been given the chance to rate a series a 1-2, but given say 200 entries, surely you would reach something that really is that bad. For example, you could have tried out some popular series merely to see what makes them popular, and only for it to not suit your tastes.

And it doesn't have to be in the completed list either. I often drop shows that I give 1-5, and my dropped list is generally full of 1-5s, since I wouldn't want to spend more time than I have to watching a show that I don't like. Even if you were to only watch recommended shows, I don't think you could possibly never encounter a show that is legitimately worth such a low rating.

jal90 said:

Second point. The symmetry. I guess what you mean, but we are not robots. Therefore, our rating is biased towards our viewing trends. Since people tend to pick the shows trying to fit their tastes it's only normal that the average is higher than how it should be with an homogeneous set of ratings.

I'm not talking about symmetry in terms of the rating distribution of all your completed shows. I'm talking about how you determine a rating, e.g., what it means for a show to be a 1,2,3,etc. I do agree with you, and argued this in a previous post on page 11:
nil- said:
If you have a symmetric (or close to symmetric) rating distribution, then that must mean one of three things:
1. You are very very critical of your anime, almost to a non-logical viewpoint.
2. You indiscriminately choose anime at random.
3. You simply watch a LOT of anime and hence must watch a lot of the mediocre ones. (But then again, if you keep at this rate, the distribution will eventually just skew towards the 3-4s and etc.)

It's clear that if you always go for recommended or "top" anime, you'd be more likely to rate the series more highly than a random one. On that note, a "good" distribution should then skew towards the 7-8s. But then again, we're talking about distributions here, and who really cares?

jal90 said:

You again assume more things than the ones you have. If I like a show, I see no point in giving it a 1-5, because 5 sets the limit where I start to dislike what I watch. Therefore, I'm not giving a 3 to something I legitimately enjoy only because my levels of enjoyment exceed the number of ratings I have to describe them. After all, I have a scale of ten numbers to apply on (potentially) thousands of shows. Assuming that there won't be big discrepancies even at the scale of one number is pretty absurd.

As I stated, the suggestion that you probably haven't downsized your scores appropriately surely does not apply to everyone. But people do in fact make this mistake, and it occurs more often than not, to the point that this is the most commonly used counterpoint against those who want a decimal rating system (source: search for this suggestion, and you'll see this counterpoint always brought up). In general, I would also like to claim that if most people can't manage a 1-10 rating system well, then a 1-100 rating scale would be enormously difficult. Personally, I couldn't possibly tell the difference between, say, an 83 and 84/100.

However, I'm still in favor of a decimal rating system since I do like the option of more ratings, and if one prefers only 1-10, then just doing 10,20,30,../100 is perfectly fine. For me, I would just like increments of .5.

On a sidenote, I like the mature discussion!
nil-Dec 13, 2012 10:18 AM
Dec 14, 2012 1:43 AM
Oct 2011
Well a ten means 9.5-10 so they don't have to be perfect. I gave Haruhi, K-On, Clannad and Spirited Away 10( though Clannad movie(4), 2. season of Haruhi(7), soma OVA's didn't get 10) because they have very few negatives, Haruhi is pretty much perfect all-around and K-On and Clannad are perfect for their genres.
Dec 14, 2012 6:22 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
From my 550 entries (shows, movies etc. Also, ptw not included ofc) I only have 14 10 so yeah not many arnd here either :3
Dec 14, 2012 9:04 AM

Oct 2010
Neon Genesis Evangelion ruined my elitism.
Dec 14, 2012 9:13 AM

Dec 2012
Me. For me 10 equals perfect. All anime have their flaws, which makes it nearly impossible for an anime to come along worthy of a 10. But then again, it really depends on the scoring criteria of each individual.

*My Profile || Signature by Jeav || I am a part οf The Invisibles. || My Anime List*
Dec 14, 2012 9:47 AM

Mar 2011
Hasekura-sama said:
Me. For me 10 equals perfect. All anime have their flaws, which makes it nearly impossible for an anime to come along worthy of a 10. But then again, it really depends on the scoring criteria of each individual.

http://mal.oko.im/Hasekura-sama
All those 7s.

Anyway, I've rated 3 series out of 350~ series 10, so basically 0.8% of my anime I rated a 10. They aren't perfect (well, one of them is), however they are incredibly good and I am also in love with the shows, so I allowed myself to give them the distinction of being above the 9s.
http://mal.oko.im/InfiniteRyvius
Dec 14, 2012 9:50 AM

Dec 2012
InfiniteRyvius said:
Hasekura-sama said:

All those 7s.

Anyway, I've rated 3 series out of 350~ series 10, so basically 0.8% of my anime I rated a 10. They aren't perfect (well, one of them is), however they are incredibly good and I am also in love with the shows, so I allowed myself to give them the distinction of being above the 9s.

Not related, but i like how your total anime count is at 444 exactly. Lol.

*My Profile || Signature by Jeav || I am a part οf The Invisibles. || My Anime List*
Dec 14, 2012 9:52 AM

Mar 2011
Hasekura-sama said:
InfiniteRyvius said:
Hasekura-sama said:

All those 7s.

Not related, but i like how your total anime count is at 444 exactly. Lol.

True, I hadn't noticed. I should make my mean, mode and median all 4 to celebrate.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

» Would you be surprised if someone said your favorite anime was the greatest anime of all time? ( 1 2 )

MeanMrMusician - Mar 28

56 by alshu »»
7 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

58 by bucciest »»
7 minutes ago

» When was the last time you felt happy/satisfied after watching an anime episode? :)

Rinrinka - Mar 27

15 by bucciest »»
21 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - Today

47 by Pinoffin »»
22 minutes ago

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - Today

6 by IpreferEcchi »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.