Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 8, 2012 10:22 PM

Jan 2008
LONDON (Reuters) - British surgeons removed a teenager's stomach to save her life after she drank a cocktail made with liquid nitrogen during a night out with friends, police said.

The 18-year-old woman, named by newspapers as Gaby Scanlon, complained of breathlessness and gastric pain before being rushed to a hospital in the northern English city of Lancaster on Thursday where she was diagnosed with a perforated stomach.

Scanlon is currently in serious but stable condition, local police said in a statement over the weekend.

"Medical opinion is that this would have proved fatal had the operation not been carried out urgently," police said.

When exposed to air, liquid nitrogen creates a dense fog and is used by bartenders and chefs to add an element of visual drama to dishes or to freeze things quickly, such as ice cream.

It is also used for removing warts and has industrial uses. Contact with flesh can cause cryogenic burn or "frostbite".

Professor of food physics at Leeds University Malcolm Povey said liquid nitrogen should not be consumed while still liquid, as it turns into a gas inside the body and causes the stomach to swell and burst.

"The liquid nitrogen would rapidly change into gas and blow the stomach up like a balloon...the idea that people put this stuff in drinks is just unbelievable," Povey told Reuters.

The bar which served the drink has stopped selling all liquid nitrogen drinks, said police, who are investigating the incident.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Oct 8, 2012 10:25 PM

Sep 2011
you learn something new everyday. so shes got no stomach now? =/
NEETs (No Employment Education Training) are the least desirable people anybody would want to hire and yet they are the first choice to become moderators/admins around the internet. They have yet to have established a sense of responsibility or role in society and many are plain leeches (with minor exceptions). They are given "authority" to police sections of the internet with the powers of The Judge, Jury, and Executioner. Isn't that weird?
-Migrating to another site-
Update 11/9/2016 - Inactive Over a Year. Logged in to laugh at elections.
Oct 8, 2012 10:29 PM

Nov 2011
Holy shit man that's scary.
So what are they going to do now since she has no stomach? Get a donor from a dead person? I mean that's a seriously vital part of your body!
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Oct 8, 2012 10:29 PM

Mar 2012
Couldn't they sew the stomach shut?

I don't really see how it was necessary to remove it altogether.
やがて気づく本当の気持ちは
そして 人間が大好きでした
Oct 8, 2012 10:30 PM

Apr 2011
Yeah I read about this earlier. Messed up situation. >.> That bar is gonna get the hell sued out of it.
Oct 8, 2012 10:54 PM
Jun 2012
You can live without a stomach? Interesting.
Oct 8, 2012 11:04 PM

Sep 2012
I imagine she'd be on a feeding tube for the rest of her life. It's not gonna be fun.
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?
Oct 8, 2012 11:12 PM

Nov 2010
Well the internet says yes you can live without your stomach.

Also it turns out your small intestine will make a pouch naturally that holds the food a little longer. But you can basically eat a lot of the foods you used to just in smaller portions, so you can live as long as you could when you had a stomach.

Learn something new every day.
Oct 9, 2012 12:10 AM

Nov 2010
IntroverTurtle said:

Also it turns out your small intestine will make a pouch naturally that holds the food a little longer. But you can basically eat a lot of the foods you used to just in smaller portions, so you can live as long as you could when you had a stomach.

No kidding, although i am curious how part of your intestine can be naturally converted into something like stomach lining. its not like the human body has adapted to replace its stomach before, naturally...
Oct 9, 2012 12:49 AM

Oct 2009
I don't know the logic behind putting liquid nitrogen in your drink..
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Oct 9, 2012 1:02 AM

Nov 2011
ForcereconFR13 said:
IntroverTurtle said:

No kidding, although i am curious how part of your intestine can be naturally converted into something like stomach lining. its not like the human body has adapted to replace its stomach before, naturally...

So basically she just can't eat as much at once like you could normally. hmm.. Does that mean she will be going to the shitter more often? :o All dem small course meals got to process!
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Oct 9, 2012 1:19 AM
Dec 2010
Make me think twice about cocktail.
Someone believe I hv Fantasy Prone Personality, in short, FPP.
So I decided to live up to it, Yay!
Oct 9, 2012 1:22 AM

Apr 2012
I don't understand how you could even sell drinks with liquid nitrogen in the first place and then not having a brain and actually drinking it...
Oct 9, 2012 2:10 AM

Aug 2011
That's just messed up...

Liquid nitrogen drinks...who the hell would come up with these drinks?
Oct 9, 2012 2:25 AM

Dec 2008
its just sad, how a normal person can go out for a "regular" drink, and end up like that, its not like she did something wrong. not knowingly at least.
Oct 9, 2012 3:06 AM
May 2009
The things companies will do to make their product look more attractive.

Anyways, its possible to live on without certain organs, however it will mean you won't be able to process food more effectively and efficiently, since your pancreas won't have a stomach to fill with acid to break it down into small molecules, so your intestines and liver and absorb and breakdown the food further.

She will probably have to drink pre processed food for the rest of her life till she can get a replacement.
Oct 9, 2012 8:02 AM

Jun 2012
Why would the bartender even sell liquid nitrogen drinks?.. = =
Oct 9, 2012 8:24 AM

Jul 2007
I guess she couldn't stomach it.
Oct 9, 2012 8:30 AM

Feb 2012
That.. is truly interesting. Is she getting a stomach transplant or what? How the hell does that work lol. I've never heard of anyone's stomach being removed.

Scud said:
Oct 9, 2012 8:46 AM

Apr 2012
Surprise. There are retarded people in this world.

Your duodenum is going to turn into a small stomach in time anyways.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Oct 9, 2012 8:49 AM

Aug 2012
Scud said:

Damn, I was thinking of a witty pun too.
Oct 9, 2012 9:48 AM

May 2012
Surprised Liquid nitrogen is actually allowed in drinks, I mean it can expand up to 700 times, so it's pretty stupid to have it in a drink, no wonder her stomach was no longer functional, lucky she's not dead either.
Oct 9, 2012 10:33 AM

Nov 2010
Ragix said:
ForcereconFR13 said:
IntroverTurtle said:

So basically she just can't eat as much at once like you could normally. hmm.. Does that mean she will be going to the shitter more often? :o All dem small course meals got to process!
Well I guess you could say that it has never had to do that naturually but it has always had the potential and natural ability to.

Apparently some people have foods that they can't eat though, for some lady it was soda. But yeah just smaller portions throughout the day and a shot 3 times a month. I would guess she would have to use the toilet more often.

There is already surgery where they cut off part of your stomach until it's the size of a banana for weight loss.
Oct 9, 2012 1:31 PM

Dec 2011
Standard night out in London.

Gotta say though, it's a pretty sad story for someone who only went out to enjoy herself and her life is now ruined because of it...
-----------------------------
Oct 9, 2012 1:41 PM

Jul 2011
I generally find bars and their cheap atmospheres terrible, but this takes the cake.
Good thing I make my White Russian at home.
Oct 9, 2012 1:45 PM

Apr 2011
Poor girl.
Oct 9, 2012 6:50 PM

Aug 2012
Wow what if someone gives you a drink with that but you dont know it O_O
Oct 9, 2012 6:52 PM

Aug 2012
HaloGod3330 said:

You'll lose your stomach......
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Oct 9, 2012 6:58 PM

Nov 2010
HaloGod3330 said:
It's hard not to notice it smoking.
Oct 9, 2012 7:02 PM

Feb 2012
kyrie_kyo said:
its just sad, how a normal person can go out for a "regular" drink, and end up like that, its not like she did something wrong. not knowingly at least.

You're kidding me right? Liquid nitrogen is at less than −196 °C and vaporizes when exposed to air. It is impossible to not notice it in your drink.
Oct 9, 2012 7:38 PM

Nov 2011
Onii-chan! My insides are moving on their own!
The Art of Eight
Oct 9, 2012 8:22 PM

Aug 2009
Damn. I thought I was having a bad day.
Oct 9, 2012 8:28 PM

Aug 2012
at least she wont have to worry for getting fat...
Oct 14, 2012 12:57 PM

Jun 2012
shintai88 said:
Anyways, its possible to live on without certain organs, however it will mean you won't be able to process food more effectively and efficiently, since your pancreas won't have a stomach to fill with acid to break it down into small molecules, so your intestines and liver and absorb and breakdown the food further.

She will probably have to drink pre processed food for the rest of her life till she can get a replacement.

I'm pretty sure she just needs to eat smaller portions now and chew the food well. But she needs a lot of nutritional therapy after that surgery since it's pretty shocking how small the portions are and how differently your ileum has to work because the food's not processed in the stomach anymore. There are other reasons, too, why the stomach must be removed (mostly the reason is cancer).

I might be talking nonsense but I work at a surgical ward as a physiotherapist and I see these patients who have had total gastrectomy a few times every year and I recall they are allowed to eat "normal food" less than a week after the surgery. Those patients are pretty rare though.
Eight-Man said:
Remember, be an artist, not an autist.

"If anything simply cannot go wrong it will anyway."

~ Murphy's 5th law
Oct 14, 2012 4:52 PM
Jul 2012
Shane777 said:
kyrie_kyo said:

You're kidding me right? Liquid nitrogen is at less than −196 °C and vaporizes when exposed to air. It is impossible to not notice it in your drink.

Do you honestly think she knew what she was drinking? You wouldn't have known any better either.
Oct 14, 2012 5:01 PM

Apr 2009
Porthos said:

whys that
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Oct 14, 2012 5:28 PM

Aug 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Well the internet says yes you can live without your stomach.

Thats freakin crazy i just got so much smarter
Oct 14, 2012 5:34 PM

Aug 2012
xxangelchanxx said:
Porthos said:

whys that

Because she essentially got a gastric bypass.

mattbenz99 said:
Oct 14, 2012 5:46 PM

Feb 2012
DeathCl0ck101 said:
Shane777 said:
kyrie_kyo said:

Do you honestly think she knew what she was drinking? You wouldn't have known any better either.

You can't have possibly missed it. It's like saying I didn't realize my sandwich was on fire when I ate it.
Oct 14, 2012 5:47 PM

Sep 2011
welp......im glad i dont drink

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 14, 2012 5:53 PM

Aug 2012
Shane777 said:
DeathCl0ck101 said:
Shane777 said:
kyrie_kyo said:

You can't have possibly missed it. It's like saying I didn't realize my sandwich was on fire when I ate it.

Damn you. Now I want a toasted Sub.

mattbenz99 said:
Oct 14, 2012 5:55 PM

Feb 2012
There you go.
Oct 14, 2012 5:58 PM

Jul 2011
Ugh :/

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Oct 14, 2012 6:14 PM

Nov 2010
Shane777 said:
DeathCl0ck101 said:
Shane777 said:
kyrie_kyo said:

I don't know how you are supposed to drink a drink that has liquid nitrogen in it. Couldn't she have thought that's how you are supposed to drink it, why would they serve it when there is a chance that she could get hurt, or atleast tell her to wait until it stops smoking before drinking. Liquid nitrogen is different than fire, most people don't know how to handle it.
Oct 14, 2012 6:23 PM

Feb 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Shane777 said:
DeathCl0ck101 said:
Shane777 said:
kyrie_kyo said:

I don't know how you are supposed to drink a drink that has liquid nitrogen in it. Couldn't she have thought that's how you are supposed to drink it, why would they serve it when there is a chance that she could get hurt, or atleast tell her to wait until it stops smoking before drinking. Liquid nitrogen is different than fire, most people don't know how to handle it.

Lol I know it's different than fire, I was comparing the two because both visually and temperature wise they are impossible to notice. As for why they would serve it, I have no idea, maybe it was one of those crazy food challenges.
Oct 14, 2012 6:31 PM

Nov 2010
Shane777 said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Shane777 said:
DeathCl0ck101 said:
Shane777 said:
kyrie_kyo said:

Lol I know it's different than fire, I was comparing the two because both visually and temperature wise they are impossible to notice. As for why they would serve it, I have no idea, maybe it was one of those crazy food challenges.
I know, I was just saying that someone who doesn't know how to drink that drink could make the same mistake.

And I remember reading on the news site or seeing the video, said something about how a lot of local bars were serving that drink. Probably just something to spice up their drinks, lighting drinks on fire and pouring in liquid nitrogen sound like something to help bring in customers.
Oct 14, 2012 6:56 PM

Dec 2008
Shane777 said:
DeathCl0ck101 said:
Shane777 said:
kyrie_kyo said:

dude if she out drinking, she is most likely drunk, so chances are she wouldn't think too much about if the stuff she brought directly from the bar is going to kill her or something like that. At least i probly wouldent
also seen some drinks being on fire a few seconds before drinking. would think them as odd as seeing damp/smoke from my drink.
kyrie_kyoOct 14, 2012 7:00 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.